Sports

Thompson: BCS battle continues

Comments

• hmmm....
    Aug. 2, 2009 4:43 p.m.

absolutely pathetic you guys...

• Sports Fan
    July 30, 2009 3:39 p.m.

What an waste of time for Thompson and the MWC to go after the BCS! Its about the money what league has it and what league does not and when we went to the great new TV deal a few years ago the MWC will never get in, not that any non BCS league should. C-USA has a better chance!

• Cool Stat

Atlantic Coast
    .182 (2-9)
    Independents
    .000 (0-3)

• Pretty tough!
    July 28, 2009 6:04 p.m.

It's hard for any team to go undefeated in league Play and get to the BCS. Last year the Utes squeeked by Air force, TCU, New Mexico. The two years before that the Cougars needed two last minute, miracales to get by the Utes. TCU has also struggled at times. It takes some good bounces for any team from the MWC to make it to the BCS.

As for the commisioner, I would pose the question...What has he done in the 10 years of the MWC. He has not improved our position nationally and still has us in the middle of a horrible TV deal. Maybe a replacement is needed

• Anonymous
    July 27, 2009 7:09 p.m.

The MWC has something like 7 games against BCS teams this upcoming season.

I GUARANTEE you they LOSE at least 5 of them!

THAT is why the MWC does NOT deserve an automatic BCS spot!

Y'all are a bunch of whining chumps!

• Re: janet jackson
    July 26, 2009 7:49 p.m.

Well I guess that's one thing SEC and Utah fans have in common.

They win a lot of bowl games, AND they have the same education level!

• Re SEC fan
    July 26, 2009 10:27 a.m.

THANK YOU sec fan. the truth has been exposed.

• NorCalBlue
    July 26, 2009 9:28 a.m.

Air Force may be leaving the MWC conference to become an independent. If that really does happen then BSU would be my choice to join the MWC.

We don't neeed to be abigger conference just continue to win games against our BCS counterparts to denonstrate that the MWC is on a par with everyother BCS conference, BSU would be a great addition in that quest!

• janet jackson
    July 25, 2009 1:01 p.m.

Hey yiners! What have you done for me lately?...Bo Didley..nothing!!..when MWC is mentioned you know they are talking UTAH UTES...end of story!

Another undefeated season in 2009!
    BcS here we come AGAIN!!!

• Re: Chadders
    July 24, 2009 10:40 p.m.

Thank you. that was great! Especially the Utes education part, LOL.

• re: hackbart
    July 24, 2009 8:20 p.m.

The Sooners were smart to pick a team that would roll over and play "just happy to be here" for their season opener. Losing to the Utes and/or Frogs helps the MWC case. Beating the tdS hurts it. So they chose to play the worst of the best.

And they'll run up the score, just to prove the ENTIRE MWC doesn't belong. Unfortunately, if one of OUR top teams were to run up the score on say the best of THEIR worst...Kansas? Nebraska?...the Big XII would just say, "oh yeah, how would you fare vs back-to-back games vs Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St?

We'd probably fare just as well as Oklahoma facing back-to-back games vs TCU, Utah, and the "why?"

• Re: SEC Fan
    July 24, 2009 8:13 p.m.

Yes. You ARE a tdS fan. That's why you don't know why the Utes did the "Gator Chomp". Had you been a SEC fan, you would have known that prior to the SEC Championship game, Saban publicly dismissed the Utes by suggesting the Tide was the only REAL BCS level team to have gone undefeated in the regular season.

And then he lost to Florida.

By the time the Utes and Crimson Tide suited up in New Orleans there was only ONE REAL BCS caliber team to have finished their season undefeated.

And we let Saban know it by showing who WASN'T. And THAT would have been the team who got "chomped" by the Gators.

Dumb, dumb zoob.

• hackbart
    July 24, 2009 12:04 p.m.

BYU fan in Oklahoma realizes that nobody here or anywhere else but there cares about any team from the MWC and does not see any problem with the BCS being unfair. The teams here are vested members of the establishment, make lots of money because of it, usually beat the teams that whine about it all senseless when they play them and have no intentions of sharing any of it with any team outside of it...and are happy with it being that way. It's the way it is son...deal with it.

• SEC Fan
    July 24, 2009 11:37 a.m.

No I am not a BYU fan, but no one has answered the question about why Utah fans did the gator chomp at the sugar bowl? That has nothing to do with UTAH, is it because Florida's coach came from Utah? He even starting putting UTAH down saying that UTAH could not compet in the SEC. So is UTAH trying to mold themselves like Florida?

• Re: Colorado Cougar
    July 24, 2009 8:46 a.m.

Your comments are spot on. As a huge cougar fan I'd certainly trade a couple MWC championships and vegas bowl wins for a little Sugar. But it's silly to disregard BYU's program which managed to win ten games and finish the season ranked for the third straight year in a row. This year will be four. Utes seem to suffer from short term memory as many crimson club members were calling for Whittingham's head a year ago, but one year later he's a genius. Nobody thought he was a genius after the UNLV game in '07. BYU has been way more consistent but Utah has had much higher highs and significantly lower lows than BYU during the last four years. If the roles were reversed the Utes would be touting consistency.

• Colorado Cougar
    July 23, 2009 6:43 p.m.

I'd agree the Utes have done more for the MWC making a statement that the MWC belongs in the BCS. How can you argue against two BCS wins to no BCS visits by the Y?

But those Ute fans who want to deride the Y's football progam might want to consider that over the past four years (No, I'm not counting Urban's tenure since he's not coaching at the U anymore.) the Y's conference record was 27-5 versus the U's conference record of 22-10. The U has twice the number of losses to the same teams, over the same period, with the same head coaches.

I know, I know, BYU doesn't have the same non-conference record that the Utes did, and they had a weaker SOS last year, and the Utes won more bowl games.

End of the day, the Utes play more emotional, have more highs and lows than the Cougars and are better at winning the bigger games, while the Y has more discipline and consistency.

BTW, as a fan, I would trade the Y's '06&'07 seasons for the U's '08-Great Season!

• Captain Obvious
    July 23, 2009 5:26 p.m.

"McBride. Really? Ha! Your Ute is showing."

Wow zoob. You REALLY called it. Congratulations Sherlock!

But then again, you DIDN'T see what was OBVIOUSLY not a SERIOUS attempt to dupe anyone into believing "Another SEC Fan" was anyone other than a Ute, but rather lampooning a tdS troll.

You're really not as bright as you think you are.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Dumb zoob.

• Chadders
    July 23, 2009 5:08 p.m.

To all the dillusional Utes

Thanks for finally doing something for our conference, it's about time. You have this crazy idea that your PROGRAM is more respected than BYU's, I believe you don't understand. Last year your TEAM was better but your PROGRAM is still not up to BYU's level. You might believe that nationally people believe you are a better PROGRAM but that is actually not true. You've had a couple of great TEAMS. I know with your UofU education it's hard to understand the difference between PROGRAM and TEAM, and I know you guys had some #1 draft picks congrats. If you see us upsetting Oklahoma next year that will far outshadow your sugar bowl win. You might be shoked when that happens but it's ok you'll always have your Sugar and Fiesta wins to celebrate. You might wonder why BYU is one of the teams to 1st play in a billion dollar football stadium instead of you? It's is because we are regarded as a better program.

Cheers,
    A Cougar fan

PS Harline is still open

• @ 1:48 p.m.
    July 23, 2009 2:40 p.m.

Of COURSE I'm a Ute fan. That was a satirical post to the zoob who wrote in that s/he was a Georgia fan. I just cut-&-pasted his post a made a few modifications.

Incidentally, the ONLY reason I know so much about the tdS is because you guys are always boasting of successes I've never seen. SO I RESEARCH IT! And what do I find? Your boasts are anywhere from parsed and/or circular zoobie logic to grossly exaggerated to outright fabricated. So I call you on it using ACTUAL facts.

I ACTUALLY haven't been to Alabama since 1987, and it was really just me driving through with my family. However, having lived in ACC [Virginia], SEC [Florida], Big XII [Texas], and Big 10 [Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania] country, I can say, with HONEST authority, OUTSIDE of Utah...only Mormons believe the "why?" to be the best team in the MWC. Where I live, locals are too self-absorbed with Penn St. and the Big 10 to really have much of an opinion of what's happening in the MWC. However, these same locals are split between Utah and TCU as to who's #1.

• Re: Another SEC Fan
    July 23, 2009 1:48 p.m.

Wow, you sure know a lot about BYU for them not being relevant. Ha! I am a lifelong BYU fan but was able to still learn something new about BYU from your post.

Are you really an SEC fan, or are you a Ute fan? Come on, you can tell me.

You see, you gave yourself away as a Ute fan when you starting spouting all of the stuff you know about BYU. Ute fans know more about BYU than they do about Utah. You know you secretly wish you could be a BYU fan but you fear you won't be accepted for your lack of intelligence. "I know," you say, "I'll tell everybody I hate them so they won't know that secretly I want to be a part of them."

Ute fans think that BYU fans don't know anything about football. This is becuase we don't know much about UTE football. They think all fans should be obsessed with their rivals. Really we just don't care that much about the UofU. We're fine with just being the Utes "bowl game" evey year.

McBride. Really? Ha! Your Ute is showing.

• I'm With SEC Fan
    July 23, 2009 1:30 p.m.

I also live outside of Utah and let me tell you, whenever the University of Utah football team is mentioned the response is "didn't they have a good year last year?" When BYU is mentioned people say, "oh yeah, they have a good football program."

That's what consistency gets you - Recognition. People forget one (or two) hit wonders. However, think how much national recognition UofU would get if they won their conference 15 years in a row, won a national championship, had the highest attendance of non-BCS schools (#23 highest overall), then went on to have consistent double digit win seasons.

When that happens UofU will get NATIONAL recognition. For now, people will talk about you for a month every 4 years and then forget. Only dilusional Utes (who have lived in Utah their whole lives) think otherwise. It's comical to read some of these comments.

Thanks for holding up the MWC every 4 years for the past 8 years (twice). Ha!

Silly Utes.

• SEC Fan
    July 23, 2009 1:26 p.m.

Utah gained a ton of respect last year. BYU means nothing to us. I don't know for sure but think BYU is 1-6 against the SEC. I do know they have lost to Alabama twice, Georgia twice, and a few other losses. Not really sure who they beat if anybody.

My point is this. Right now BYU is not relavent to anyone outside of Utah or the LDS church. Some may say they were a top team in the 80's and 90's. Please provide me with a list of the teams they have beaten (ever) that "finished" the season in the top 10. I think this list is very short and speaks to a program that thinks highly of themselvs but others across the nation think of them as a division 2 school or something similar to Oral Roberts.

• Arizona Reader
    July 23, 2009 1:11 p.m.

Did anyone see that Brian Johnson is on the cover of NCAA 2010? I thought that was pretty sweet and I'm a Cougar fan.

Sure there is a rivalry and I get as upset as most when the Cougs lay eggs vs the Utes and other non-conference teams. Honestly, if we're real fans of the game and of our schools, you want the other guy (Utah in my case) to be awesome. It only lifts up your conference and gives you national attention if you knock them off. I'm looking forward to another BCS Buster this year represented by the MWC.

P.S. Quit ripping on Boise State. They've got legit academic programs and their football team is the winningest program in years. In fact, other than the TCU bowl game, I can't remember the last time they lost to the MWC.

• re: I can't decide
    July 23, 2009 12:13 p.m.

I agree. If we are willing to join the BCS and if offered to help ourselves, then we can't blame the conferences currently in the BCS for doing the same thing to us.

Let's endorse it and try to become part of it, instead of compaining that it is wrong. That will help us not look like such winers now, and not like such hypocrites if we join.

• Another SEC fan
    July 23, 2009 12:07 p.m.

I'm am an Alabama fan and live in the south. Utah is the best known team in the MWC, and has put good teams on the field under Coach McBride, Meyer, and Whittingham. The PAC-10 should extend an offer to the Utes and TCU. After BYU played KSU in the Cotton Bowl 13 yrs ago, what else has BYU been known for? Well, there WAS that one time where they talked a big game about beating Tulane in the '98 Liberty Bowl, and then got BLOWN OUT. The cougar fans were throwing Tostitos tortillas out on the field before the opening kickoff of their 2001 season opener. What was up with that? What does Tostitos Tortillas have to do with 2 game losing streaks to end the season? BYU is the only team in NCAA that doesn't know Utah and TCU are the only relevant teams in the MWC.

• I can't decide
    July 23, 2009 11:57 a.m.

I can't decide if the MWC and their fans are in favor of the BCS or not. On one hand they complain how unfair it is, and at the same time complain that they can't join it. Additionally, the MWC is doing everything in it's power to join.

If you think the BCS is unethical and wrong, then try to break it, don't try to join it. The actions of the MWC and their fans suggest they only disagree with the principle of the BCS because they are not part of it.

... thats not exactly taking the high road, or standing for what you believe.

• Y fan
    July 23, 2009 11:54 a.m.

I agree BYU needs to win a BIG non-conference game against a highly ranked team so they can get some national respect, however I wouldn't get hung up on #1 draft picks as the last time I checked both Smith and Bogut are not doing so well and have become major disappointments.

• NY
    July 23, 2009 10:01 a.m.

At the very least, the MWC should replace the Big East in the BCS. I think pretty much everybody agrees that the MWC is the better conference. However, this does not solve the cartel problem. Evidence is strong of cartel behavior. Any other industry would have been regulated by now.

• BSU Expansion
    July 23, 2009 9:50 a.m.

Boise actually supports their University as much as any team in the MWC (Utah & BYU), you do not get that kind of support at a Tulsa/Rice etc. and that is why those sports programs do not have anywhere near the consistency and national recognition as BSU.

BSU has a better record and national rankings year in and out than any MWC team over the past 10 years. Of course they would help the BCS argument for the MWC and they make an awesome regional rival that is a reasonable bus ride and very short and cheap flight away! It makes total sense and would have been a better choice than TCU if Thompson wasnt so confused about # of televisions available and focused on actual # of people supporting & watching the games in those markets! :)

• Idahoan
    July 23, 2009 9:46 a.m.

One post mentioned a logistical nightmare for the WAC when it was huge. Wasn't it also just financially unfeasible? Someone else mentioned expanding to 12 teams. Are you serious? It doesn't make sense to create another large conference when you broke apart from a previous large conference because of expenses. Would conference schools really want to share the revenue that comes from tv with an additional 3 schools? And why decrease the number of times you get on tv by adding more schools?

Let's say the conference schedule has begun. With nine schools right now, there are 4 games in the conference. The mtn typically shows 2 or 3 games each Saturday, maybe Versus or CBC C picks up another. Good chance (75%-100%)then that if your team is playing, the game is on tv. If you go to 12 schools, that makes 6 games. You have probably a 50-75% chance that game will be on tv. Your odds of being on tv dropped because of more teams and more games. Do you want that?

• ediddy
    July 23, 2009 9:42 a.m.

I am delighted with the success of Utah and TCU. Though a Cougar fan for many years, I have always recognized the accomplishments of the other teams in the conference as necessary for the overall strength of national exposure. No one cheered any louder than me for the great Ute achievments the last few years. Utah is my alma mater, but my loyalties changed with the persistant vitriol spewed from the U fans at games and in print, and it seems ultimately shortsighted and hypocritical from the Utah side when the trolls here puff out their chests and pontificate about their "weak sister" in Utah County.
    Yes, the BCS wins have been terrific, but make no mistake about it, BYU carried both the WAC and the MWC until Utah, TCU and others found their stride, just as Utah carried the RMC (due your homework for a change) when BYU was a fledgling. The problem with youth is that it has no perswpective, because experience only comes with time and effort.
    What goes around comes around, Ute fans.One day you will be down according to someone's stats. I will remember your glory years when that time comes.

• SEC Fan
    July 23, 2009 9:26 a.m.

I'm am a SEC (Bulldog) fan and live in the south, BYU is the best known team in the WMC, and has put good teams on the field under Coach Edwards.BYU should pull out of the MWC and get in a better conference. Before Utah played Bama last year, and that Florida's coach came from there,what else is Utah known for? Even at the Sugar Bowl the Utah fans did the gator chomp, what's up with that? What does the gator chomp have to do with Utah? BYU is the only team in the MWC that has a great history.

• re: re: Please
    July 23, 2009 8:49 a.m.

In response to this comment from a zoober. "Tell me again what championship the Utes won this year? If you're talking about conference champs, then BYU did that the 2 previous years."

It makes me cringe everytime BYU wins the conference because they then proceed to play a barely bowl eligible team and lose. If you're going to win the conference then you better win the pathetic bowl game you get sent to.

• hey thompson
    July 23, 2009 8:20 a.m.

I've got a proposal, let 30 fans from all conference schools take over as a committee...for FREE, then fans will actually try and get bowls that pay more and mean something. DC? Boise? Are you kidding?

• re: Please
    July 23, 2009 7:21 a.m.

Ute fans need to wise up and realize that winning a BCS bowl is ultimately worthless. It is about as worthwhile as when BYU won the Cotton Bowl in 1996. Yes, it's a nice memory, but it's not a flag in the rafters saying "national champion".

The fact that teams like Utah and Boise rejoice over these BCS wins legitimizes the arguments of the BCS conferences that they are giving Utah and the likes the opportunity to even play in a big bowl game.

We all know, though, that Utah will never be allowed to win a real championship.

So all that said, stop bickering with BYU over whose accomplishments are greater and realize that what we really need to focus on is the fact that the ultimate accomplishment is out-of-reach!

• Re: Selective Bragging
    July 23, 2009 7:12 a.m.

Redo the math ignoring the BYU-Utah games if you want the true picture. Except for every leap year, when we play Utah they're unranked... Every year when they play us recently, we're ranked. Thanks for scheduling ranked teams (us) while we just have to play you...

• Anonymous
    July 23, 2009 7:10 a.m.

Good luck, but unless the monopoly sees a benefit for itself, or they are truly under threat by antitrust action, nothing will change. Hatch sure as heck won't do anything, as if he could other than blather on.

• #1 Picks
    July 23, 2009 7:06 a.m.

#1 Picks are a huge deal. The #1 Draft Pick is always the best player in the draft... Wait, what's that San Francisco and Milwaukee? You want your selections back... My bad...

Rather than discuss Alex Smith or Andrew Bogut, let's discuss what a great job Steve Young did in the NFL representing the University of Utah. That's more fun!

• No Utah Man
    July 23, 2009 5:01 a.m.

Hey Utah Mann (your spelling not mine),

Your comment that TCU and Utah can't keep carrying the conference by being the only ones winning out of conference games just shows you don't follow the sport. BYU beat UCLA and Washington and USU out of conference and only lost to Arizona (bowl). New Mexico beat Arizona, UNLV beat ASU, Wyo beat Tennessee, etc... Meanwhile, TCU got spanked by Oklahoma out of conference, making it's record out of conference no better than BYU's. Try looking up some stats or watching actual games next time before making ridiculous and inaccurate statements like the U and TCU are carrying the MWC in out of conference games.

• Anonymous
    July 23, 2009 12:39 a.m.

lets be honest, i dont think that the MWC really cares about breaking up the BCS, they just want in. if they ever get in, i am sure that they wont complain any longer. its all about the money.

• Hypocrites
    July 22, 2009 11:56 p.m.

The U and the y complain about not getting a fair deal from the big boys. At the same time they make fun of "lessor conferences" such as the WAC and Big Sky. It makes me chuckle.

The MWC conference is no closer to the SEC and Big 12 than the Big Sky is to the MWC.

Go ahead and bring up Alabama again. Now play Florida, LSU, Georgia and Mississippi over a six week period. Or how about OU UT MO TT and Oklahoma State. You have my pity.

• MWC
    July 22, 2009 11:30 p.m.

Needs to give Wyoming and SDSU the boot and bring in Boise State and Fresno then we would be legit. Either that or somehow get BYU to represent on the national stage instead of just remembering 84.

• Please
    July 22, 2009 11:27 p.m.

The consistency argument is absurd. I bet if you polled the Jazz fan base if they would rather win 50+ games every year or win the championship 1 in 4 years most would want the championships. Please come back to reality stop letting the talking heads in Provo spin the truth.

Everyone wants to be a champ, win a trophy, be a superstar...not just play ball every year.

• Blame the the Presidents
    July 22, 2009 10:54 p.m.

The MWC had the offer to be on virtually every single TV in Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, California, Texas and Nevada. Over 55 million people but the University President's nixed it, saying they wanted to be in all homes of the nation. Now they are only in 2-3 million homes. That was said by the commissioner about 18 months ago, then he quickly backed off that story after those Presidents got to him.

We should demand that the Board of Trustees of every Univesity fire those Presidents and with them fire the Commissioner.

Drop Nevada and Wyoming, Invite Fresno and maybe Smurfstate.

Many of you keep complaining that BYU doesn't pay enough nationally ranked teams are among the most clueless people on this earth. BYU has tried and tried and tried to schedule these teams, but they simply won't come to BYU because of their home record, or they won't schedule them period. These are the mighty BCS teams who are so mighty they fear loosing to BYU and tarnishing their "mighy" reputations. They are gutless and spinelss teams. IF the are so good they should annihilate BYU, even at home.

• Bad Idea
    July 22, 2009 9:50 p.m.

Does anyone remember one of the original purposes of the MWC? The WAC had become so huge that it was a logistical nightmare. The teams who left the WAC and founded the MWC were good teams that wanted to get out of that problem. If you expand then they come right back. In the current system if you take away the option of the OOC games against BCS teams then you limit yourself further.

• re: expansion
    July 22, 2009 9:22 p.m.

I'd rather see Houston, Tulsa, or Fresno St. join the MWC. They don't have a ridiculously kitschy turf.

In order to fill out a 12-game schedule with an 8-game conference slate, we are limited to only 4 OOC opponents. If we're to demonstrate we're BCS caliber, we need to schedule more BCS teams [and ZERO FCS opponents]. By adding one more team to the conference, we'll be limited to only 3 OOC. No good.

If we add 3 teams, we could split the league into 2 Divisions, playing 5 inter-divisional opponents and 2-3 extra-divisional teams. This would enable us to maintain no less than 4 OOC opponents again. That's the upside. The downside is we'd have to split our already paltry postseason dividends 12 ways rather than 9. I'd be in favor of expanding to 12 teams IF AND ONLY IF we'd be guaranteed AQ status, AND if the Big [L]East loses their's. A MWC with Houston, Tulsa, and Fresno St. would rival the PAC-10 and ACC, and easily trump the Big [L]East.

• Boise State is not a good choice
    July 22, 2009 9:01 p.m.

Sure their football team has been successful recently, but the university behind the football program is, well, lacking. There is more in the selection of a school into the conference than just the football team's recent performance.

Tulsa and Rice, on the other hand, are elite schools with good sports programs in larger cities than Boise. Expansion should go to Tulsa first, then to Rice.

• Uncle George
    July 22, 2009 8:50 p.m.

I am so sick and tired of Y and U fans demeaning each other in these comment sections. Why not fight together against the real enemy of fairness in college sports, aka the monopolistic cartel know as the BcS.

• expansion...
    July 22, 2009 7:23 p.m.

...can anyone say Boise State?

• Anonymous
    July 22, 2009 6:59 p.m.

Best to be humble Utes....

• Chip
    July 22, 2009 6:19 p.m.

I agree with "Shut up" I'm embarrassed to read the comments of any article anymore. Trash talking only lowers us the the Arizona, Washington level of fan. Give it up and let the truth show on the field.

• mr. j
    July 22, 2009 6:05 p.m.

i love the rivalry.

MWC went 6-2 against the pac-10 last season.

go utes!

p.s.
    cougar anti-ute arguments are rediculous.

• Shut up
    July 22, 2009 5:43 p.m.

I say whoever holds the MWC crown gets bragging rights. The whole MWC is getting better and constantly denigrating BYU or Utah is pointless. I am sick of the constant trash talking over any article about football. . . . . . .. . .Shut up and let's get back on topic -

We need consistent BCS access, and as long as the Mtn or Versus hold the broadcast rights, it will never happen. We're not going to get anywhere without decent exposure.

• Anonymous
    July 22, 2009 5:27 p.m.

did he mention that "our own television network" is one of the things killing our conference?!?!?
    You won't see NATIONAL highlights of any MWC team...which is how we gain NATIONAL recognition...because we are confined to LOCAL tv.

• re: selective bragging
    July 22, 2009 5:20 p.m.

Perhaps we could schedule down a bit in order to grab that 10+ win season on a regular basis ala BYU, Boise St, and Hawai'i ['07], but I'm not sure that'll work well in the long run...you know...during bowl games.

The “why?” won 32 games over a span of 3 years. Looking at your 3-yr stretch of 10+ win seasons, how many teams did you beat w/ a winning record? Answer: 10, with a collective record of 84-46. You played 4 ranked opponents, and only won ONE.

The Utes won 30 games over that same span. How many teams did the we beat w/ a winning record? Answer: 11, with a collective record of 101-42. We played NINE ranked opponents, and won FIVE. You may have 2 more wins than us, but it’s clear that had to do with the fact you’ve been playing an easier schedule. We faced 1 more opponent with a winning record, 5 more ranked teams, and 1 fewer FCS opponent. If you even looked at the collective opponents’ records you’d see that our foes won 20.25% more games than yours.

GO UTES!!!

• re: selective bragging
    July 22, 2009 5:11 p.m.

Sorry, but lets asked some national football writers if they recognize the Utes and their 2 BCS runs, or BYU and their 10 win seasons? 10 win seasons that include a 1-10 record versus ranked teams, and a 12-14 record against just winning teams. Yeah, that screams national attention doesn't it.

The MWC is up for discussion for the BCS because of what Utah has done, not because BYU beats up on crappy teams and loses to anyone decent.

BYU is a national pressence, as long as you are standing in an LDS wardhouse across the country. Other than that they are one of the many non-BCS programs who hasn't played in a BCS game.

• re: ME
    July 22, 2009 5:09 p.m.

"When Utah produces something more meaningful than a trophy that shows they won a bowl game, then you can talk."

We have more than a trophy that shows we won a bowl game. Since the MWC's inaugural season, we have EIGHT bowl trophies (2 of which are BCS-level) SIX Beehive Boot trophies, FOUR conference championship trophies, TWO Top-10 plaques, ONE Nat'l Championship trophy, ZERO embarassing "Quests", and a jealous little sister in Provo.

• selective bragging
    July 22, 2009 4:47 p.m.

Please utah fans don't make me pull up utahs daffy duck offense. You are doing nothing for the mwc if you haved a stellar season once in a while. How bout winning double digit games each season...consecutivley. You're a bunch of one hit wonders, do something consistent, not like beating UCLA and then getting punked by UNLV!

• ME
    July 22, 2009 3:37 p.m.

To Atlas | 3:09 p.m.

"when byu produces #1 picks, talk to me"

When Utah produces something more meaningful than a trophy that shows they won a bowl game, then you can talk. I second a prior comment, Thank you Utah for finally doing something in football after 30 years of nothing. BYU has it under contol now, you can go back to mediocrity. We'll see you in 2012 since your good years only come around every leap year.

• re: Atlas
    July 22, 2009 3:24 p.m.

I'll give you TCU, since they were chosen over BYU to be upgraded last year to play an undefeated Boise team.

But a team who is 1-10 versus ranked opponentns, and 12-14 versus winning teams, since 2004 has absolutly no national respect.

FYI -
    Utah is 6-5 versus ranked teams, and 16-8 versus winning teams, in that same time period.

That gap seems to be expanding as we speak.

• To Atlas
    July 22, 2009 3:09 p.m.

byu on a national scale is nothing. Keep dreaming byu fans. I would say that it is byu holding back the utes. when byu produces #1 picks, talk to me.

• Re Atlas.
    July 22, 2009 2:37 p.m.

Ha! Yes of course, because the BCS would NEVER have let BYU play in a BCS game had they run the table last year... hell, Max would probably have had the Heisman in his back pocket if that had happened.

• Confirmed
    July 22, 2009 2:31 p.m.

The Utes Inferiority Sports Complex has expanded to include the Huntsman Center - not just Rice-Eccles Stadium.

• Re: Atlas
    July 22, 2009 2:22 p.m.

That's funny how Utah became the focus of the MWC in one year. I'm pretty sure BYU and TCU would still get plenty of national attention without Utah. I'm also pretty sure BYU has finished the last three seasons ranked and won all but 2 mwc games in three years of play. But thanks for holding the MWC up so that BYU can dominate it for another year in 2009. If that's the case then it's about freaking time after Utah did nothing in football before 2004 for some thirty years. Thanks for holding it a couple years when BYU was down. I'm sure you'll drop the ball early and often this year so take it easy.

• Utes and Cougs
    July 22, 2009 2:17 p.m.

We need to stop fighting among ourselves and focus on the real enemy...Commissioner Thompson. Nothing good that's happened to the MWC was his doing.

Is anyone really "excited" about the MWC bowl arrangement? I realize access to the BCS bowls is something we're all focused on, but why isn't negotiating a contract for the MWC champ to go to an upper mid-tier Bowl like the cotton bowl, capital one bowl, or the Holiday bowl at the top of his agenda? Even the Chick-Fil-A bowl pays out $3M per team, but no, our champion gets a whopping $500K in Vegas. This is in the bottom half of bowl payouts. We can and should do better. Thompson has tried to make up for lack of quality bowls with quantity. I'd rather have one legitimate bowl with two consolation tie-ins in vegas and san diego than five crappy bowl games. What a joke! At least we should require the Vegas Bowl to pay out $750K to keep first pick among non-BCS qualifying teams. And don't even get me started on the Mtn.

• Atlas
    July 22, 2009 1:20 p.m.

Utah has 2 of the 3 #1 picks noted and all of the MWC BCS berths. Utah has the bulk of the conferences NCAA basketball tourney wins too, even though most of Utah's basketball glory days were during the WAC years.

Without Utah, the MWC has very little to claim about any football or basketball sports achievement. Actually, if Utah left for the PAC-10 the MWC would drop to the level of the WAC or lower.

Yes, Belgie, Utah is the Atlas of the MWC world.

• then try replacement
    July 22, 2009 1:09 p.m.

"As for expansion, Thompson acknowledged its been discussed but that no specific institutions have been pinpointed."

Here's an idea. Send Wyo to the WAC and bring in Boise St. But I'm sure the WAC wants to be as strong as possible and not get weaker so that type of upgrade may not sell.

• re: Dear Utah Mann
    July 22, 2009 1:08 p.m.

Yes, someone suffering from short term memory would have no recollection of BYU doing anything on a national stage.

Thank you for pointing that out.

25 years and counting.

To Belgie: If Utah isn't holding up the MWC conference on their shoulders to the national stage, who is? BYU and their pathetic 1-10 record versus ranked teams since 04, or their 12-14 record versus teams with winning records since 04, or their continued losses in bowl games?

Please, enlighten us ole wise one.

• Belgie
    July 22, 2009 12:59 p.m.

I love how Utah has one good year in 4 and all of a sudden the fans think they're Atlas - holding up the world.

As for Thompson getting the MWC into the BCS in the next 5 years, don't count on it. Look at how well he's done getting the MWC on television.

• UteGary
    July 22, 2009 12:44 p.m.

I am concerned that the MWC's BCS hopes are on a guy who made the The Mtn. TV deal. I hope he does a better job on this.

• Dear Utah Mann
    July 22, 2009 12:36 p.m.

You must have a short term memory.

• BCS berth
    July 22, 2009 12:34 p.m.

Why not, its not like it hasn't happened try just last year. If my memory serves me right wasn't Utah in a BCS bowl..Some in the MWC act like it never happened.

• Anonymous
    July 22, 2009 12:20 p.m.

Given the Conferences partnerships with CBS collge sports, what makes the most sense is to pursue bowl agreements with the Sun and Cotton Bowls, since those games have had agreements with CBS for years.

• three11stu
    July 22, 2009 11:51 a.m.

any word on The Mountain coming to Dish Network?

• BASIC CAPTIALISM SYSTEM
    July 22, 2009 11:46 a.m.

Wealth is centered in the hands of a few.

He who has the gold makes the rules.

The MWC is BEGGING FOR DE-REGULATION?

I will believe the ALTRUISM of the MWC when they RE-DISTRIBUTE THEIR WEALTH with DIXIE STATE.

All of this WHINNING just gives STOOPS more reason to CRUSH UTAH COUNTY'S MARQUEE TEAM!

• Utah Mann
    July 22, 2009 11:33 a.m.

Hair Thompson said it MWC....you must win your out of conference games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means you BYU, NM, UNLV, WYO, SDSU, CSU, AFA.

TCU and UTAH cannot hold up the entire conference. Win some dang games guys, come on!!!!!!!!!!!