Sports

Utah Jazz: Could Boston's 'Big Baby' be viable option?

Comments

• Chuck Nunn
    July 13, 2009 6:21 p.m.

Apology gladly accepted Todd, with no hard feelings. Actually, I do believe that the current salary situation is far from ideal. But I really don't see the Jazz finding a way to move Boozer -- at least not before February's trade dealine comes close -- and I do think that Portland's offer for Millsap is higher than he probably warrants at this point in his career. But if the Jazz can match a four-year offer on CJ Miles based solely on what they hope he can become, they really need to match on a guy like Millsap who is already showing some good results on the court as a major contributor. It'll hurt in the short term, but down the line, it'll pay off.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• Big Baby would be
    July 13, 2009 11:51 a.m.

a cheap version of Millsap with a shot. Millsap rebounds better BB shoots better and is cheaper. Neither is ideal.

Let Millsap go and get the right PF.

• Dustin
    July 13, 2009 9:35 a.m.

What a perfect solution! Inevitably Milsap's stats go down once he gets paid and that is too much money for him to be coming off the bench. Baby offers a stronger option for less money and he would fit in well with the Jazz. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make him an offer!

• todd from santa ana
    July 13, 2009 8:18 a.m.

Your right I hate Sloan. I am a Paul Milsap fan so do not buy what you are selling. I am talking about a financial basis.,I hope to be wrong but Paul Milsap has along way to go to say he can be the power forward, go to superstar player. The skill set is short of that at this point.

HMMM Jerry got the Jazz to 6 games vs the bulls, "one play from the title" not exactly. I am convinced someone like Avery could walk in with these same players and this team would look a "lot different" and "a lot better"

• Observation-ist
    July 13, 2009 7:55 a.m.

Todd, you speak like a fan who doesn't understand business. If Big Baby Davis was truly more valuable than Paul, NBA GM's etc. would be talking about him. They're not. Paul gets the attention because he's better.

Your hate for Sloan is evident and degrades your credibility to assess other issues. I don't believe Jerry's perfect (far from it) but who would you find as a replacement. Jerry came within a play or two against Michael Jordan from winning an NBA championship, twice. What other available coach has those credentials.

When these other topics come up, please check your distain for Jerry Sloan at the door.

If you want to really get upset at someone, find out who made the decision to sign AK to a max contract. The $16.4M that we're paying AK is as hurtful to this franchise as anything we're discussing. AK is owed $17.8M next year. We wouldn't be having this discussion if AK were paid market value.

Paul, I want you back. Your work ethic, toughness, and no-nonsense productivity is just what the Jazz need.

• Anonymous
    July 13, 2009 7:04 a.m.

Jazz must not let Milsap get away. Still we have no decent shooter and no big man to keep the middle clean.

• todd to chuck
    July 12, 2009 10:25 p.m.

Fine, I apologize. I disagreed with many here but remain cordial if that person has a good take. I am aware you are well known and thought of on these boards CHuck. People citizens for some time in Utah that are close and loyal to the Deseret News are relationships that need to be maintained.

The fact, is I would you once in a while to be critical when it calls for it. CHuck, you cannot be agreeing with how things are going down right now?

Few are and you are too smart for that.

• Jerry Blown
    July 12, 2009 10:05 p.m.

hahaha Big Baby, no way. You could get Lamar Odom for a little more than him.
    If they let Paul walk (which I think they should) then dump boozer and sign Odom to a 3 year 7 mil with the 3rd year as a team option.
    For the same money I would take Odom over Paul anyday. Odom can play the 3,4 & 5 and no one is going to say he is small for a PF.
    Odom only didn't average more points than milsap last year, but he did average more blocks and assist and he can spead the floor and bring the ball down.
    With D-Will, Odom would get 5 more points a game.

Or do the most logical thing and move Okur to PF and trade Boozer for Tyrus Thomas and a center that can play defence (We might have one in Koufus, but unless he can get playing time somewhere else Sloan wont give him a legit chance, if thats the case then get a SG that can shoot with a little presure)
    Get some defence, with D-Will and Okur spreading the floor the offence will come.

• Chuck Nunn
    July 12, 2009 8:12 p.m.

Todd, I'm disappointed that you can't respectfully disagree with someone and feel the need to attack me on an online blog. Take a clue from RV. I too am a Jazz fan from wayyyy back, not as far back as the NO days -- I'm not that old -- but I was still a fan even in the early rotten years in Utah. I watched this franchise go from a perennial loser to a perennial playoff power to an NBA Finals competitor and back to a perennial playoff contender. Nobody, and I mean nobody, loves Jazz basketball more than I do, especially considering my fandom began as a kid in North Carolina scouring the boxscores because that's all the team would rate outside of Utah in those days.

Glen Davis isn't a bad player. But the fact he has a ring has as much to do with the fact that he played on a star-packed team as anything. Millsap played a bigger role for Utah last season, and he's only just beginning to tap his potential. The Jazz should match ... and I apologize for nothing!

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• boston fan
    July 12, 2009 7:35 p.m.

honestly i would hate to see the C's not match an offer the jazz may give him, but that would be a great addition to your team. He may be overweight, but watch him play...you dont see an over weight guy out there ..the guy is a pure hustler. he has ton of heart and isnt afriad to bang anyone around. yes it says 6'9" but he isnt try 6'7"...not 6'6" like some here mentioned. and as for his 17 footer...yeah it is still a little ugly but he made huge strides with it over the past year....hope he stays in Boston, but if he doesnt you will be very happy with what you get from him out there in Utah! good luck this year guys

• @Jazz vintage
    July 12, 2009 7:33 p.m.

come on people. Don't post assumptions or lies, look up facts before you start posting your knowledge. Utah is one of the fattest states? Nope, Utah is the 47th on overweight people...guess what that makes them? The third thinnest state! Obesity, 22% behind 1st place Colorado's 19%. Huge margin huh? Nope. That puts Utah at the 44th most Obese state, which makes out to be the 7th most Obese state.

As for Davis--this league has evolved into a game of more agility, speed and explosion. Players are jumping higher and changing directions much quicker. He really should lose roughly 40 pounds perhaps 30 may be enough, but what he need is someone that can defend, someone big enough to stop big men but quick enough to guard the small men. I could only imagine how hard it would be to move a 290 pound body. 250 for his height it optimal...it is obvious that he has that much to lose.

• AK hater
    July 12, 2009 6:22 p.m.

AKs contract is the reason the jazz can't win a championship they don't have money to get players worth anything

• BigJazzFan
    July 12, 2009 5:48 p.m.

I have agree,

PF is not problem, except NOT having one tall enough, long enough, blocking shots enough, defensive enough...

But Coaching IS the problem,

NOT once has sloan shown the ability to use strategy,

he has never made changes in defensive or offensive strategy from game to game, or team to team they play,

and certainly not in the playoffs,

when you have several games to make greaat strategic changes,

All sloan does is weild HIS system like club and try to beat you to death with it.

all sloan does is tinker with the starting line-up, AFTER he SAYS who starts does NOT matter.

Sloan and his caveman mentality of coaching, has gotta go,

if jazz are EVER going a win a championship.

• Anonymous
    July 12, 2009 5:06 p.m.

Big Baby is too big a risk for an offense designed to run through the PF position..

• No no no no no
    July 12, 2009 1:56 p.m.

Glen Davis? Great, just what we need, an overweight, out of shape, and overrated big man. This reminds me of someone who played for the Jazz a few years ago...Mr. double-zero himself.

If we're choosing between overpaying Millsap for a year and overpaying Glen Davis (Ostertag, Part II) for several years (to which midlevel money is ridiculous!), the decision is a no-brainer. Once Millsap starts getting paid his worth ($6 to $7 is about market value for his talent), we'll be glad we kept him.

• todd to 105 pm
    July 12, 2009 1:27 p.m.

best post of the day, truthful also..Glen Davis I feel would be in shape. He would know coming here he has to be in good shape and frankly even now he is in much better shape than when he came in as a rookie. I feel he may a better talent than Paul. Certainly, Paul is a harder worker at this stage in careers.

• Re:AK
    July 12, 2009 1:05 p.m.

AK is NOT the reason why the Jazz can't win a championship. The reason is JERRY SLOAN. End of story

• AK
    July 12, 2009 12:32 p.m.

is useless he will NEVER be good again we should somehow trade him to another, team and if it means to a team like the warriors then so be it, if we keep him its same old same old, no championships!!!!!!!

• Vintage Jazz
    July 12, 2009 12:26 p.m.

Remember "Dinner Bell" Mel Turpin? The Jazz don't need another fat kid who won't work hard after signing his contract. Utah is one of the fattest states in the country...why tempt the poor kid with the endless buffets and all you can eats around town. Bring back Gentle Ben Poquette.

• Just wondering...
    July 12, 2009 10:56 a.m.

Not that it would happen....Could AK restructure his contract for less money and more years. Or is that against the CBA.It seems like the NFL players are always doing it, but that might be because they dont have guaranteed contracts?

• louisiana jazz man
    July 12, 2009 9:52 a.m.

if you got davis it would be for the sam,e money as millsap. the reason he has no offers. no rebounds better take millsap while you can. or not and see what he does in portland. by trade deadline you could probly pick up one of the starters with portland because millsap will be starting. just like in utah once millie started playing it was booooooo for bozer and lets get rid of the allstarr boz. next is alrige moving on why you think they signed him 6.2 mil alrige wants 20 mil see who plays better. you jazz fans need to pull your head out.before its too late i can watch portland just as easy as utah its going to be sad for me to watch millie kicking butt against utah. probly sad for him too.

• Nevada Fan
    July 12, 2009 9:21 a.m.

Milsap,Boozer,and Ak are not the answer. Milsap is good but not great and under sized. To be at least competitive in the west and I mean just competitive we need bigger, longer, and defensively minded players. The only one on that short list is AK and he is over paid. Too bad the fans have too suffer for poor management. I been saying Artest (gone to the lakers) THERE IS 1 MAJOR BEATDOWN in coming next season, and the Celtics get Wallace and the Suns get Shack.I getting tired I am done.

• No-No No More Louisana
    July 12, 2009 9:05 a.m.

Let these guys eat their "Gumbo elsewhere.

• Greg
    July 12, 2009 8:55 a.m.

Big Baby is 6'9" in media guides, but in real life he is 6'6". Still a good young player, and he uses his wide body effectively, but if he was 6'9" there would be no question about the Celtics matching any offer.

• CJ3
    July 12, 2009 8:44 a.m.

Baby Davis is a pretty large body. Watching him develop his mid-range game (something Millsap is sorely lacking) was fun to watch last season. He can stick the 17-footer with complete confidence.

I'm not opposed the idea.

• Newman
    July 12, 2009 7:02 a.m.

How would Sloan feel about Davis coming in to camp at 289 pounds? I see work ethic controversy a mile away with this one. You can't swap a guy like Millsap with a guy who can't stay away from the buffet table.

• rvalens2
    July 12, 2009 1:51 a.m.

Re: Chuck Nunn (the Jazz Oracle)

Sorry Chuck, but I've got to disagree with you on this one.

Davis is BIG body that would help the Jazz. He's taller than Paul and at 290 he's a lot tougher to move. Initially, he isn't likely to score at much as Millsap but he would definitely plug up some of the holes the Jazz have defensively.

He's only been playing about 20 minutes a game for Boston averaging 7 points and 4 rebounds. Extend his time out to 40 minutes and you get respectable numbers. (14 points and 8 rebounds) And in the Jazz system, I'm certain those numbers will go up.

Besides, I'd love to see the Jazz get somebody who can be described as "BURLEY" ... as in Idaho.

• C'mon
    July 12, 2009 1:47 a.m.

Just match for Paul, Big Baby is a good talent but I think Paul has more going for him. Just Match Paul then send Boozer else where for the cap space.
    We've got til the deadline, and since Boozer will be playing this year for his next contract I'm sure he'll work a bit for it, more than he did last year. Let teams see him for a few months and there will be someone biting for a an time all-star. Someone will get hurt, it always happens, a team loses a key player midway through the season. They panic and look for someone to fill the void til the team is healthy. It's bound to happen.
    Bottom line stick with Paul, the true talent he has and the nasty attitude he brings is undeniable.

• todd from santa ana
    July 12, 2009 1:43 a.m.

How many rings do Jazz players have

1 by a player who did not play much Mehmout

GLen Davis does

He was a project until Kevin Garnett and coaches helped make him much better

I would take him for that salary in a New York Minute.

He has a ring that would be a "threat" to current Management and "sloanaholics"

Lets just keep the same roster. That is better

sure...

• todd to chuck
    July 12, 2009 1:38 a.m.

Chuck there is no bigger homer on these boards, these are the reasons why The Jazz are where they are tonight as the ESPN report last week showed,

I will let you be the apologetic spokesman for every thing they do. No pressure from people who could be huge in impacting change.

You can call us pessimists haters, outsiders. COuld care less. The truth these people love the Jazz more than the opposites do. We care so deeply it hurts us beyong comprehension. SOmeone that has invested buying merchandise, programs, listening to static radio stations and back to 1979 in New Orleans knows Jazz History.

I am tired of watching "same ol" I have never in the history of professional sports (history) seen such a conversative, refuse to change approach if a coach that acts as Mr Hat on every issue and gets away with us. I do not care about his "system"

I care about every year feeling chance to win the title playing the reg season in playoff mode, establish your identity and tweeking as needed.

Sloan never never does this.

It is the fans that allow this to happen.

The rest care deeply and pray for change

• Dexter
    July 12, 2009 12:38 a.m.

I like Big Baby D! Though those numbers seem just a little weak for 21 minutes. I'll check out his other numbers. On May 12th he had 22 points and 7 rebounds in 42 minutes which is pretty encouraging. Sure. Let 'Sap go and let's pick up Big Baby. Don't get me wrong. I love Millsap but its just too much money.

• Chuck Nunn
    July 12, 2009 12:01 a.m.

Glen Davis? Geez, just match on Millsap!

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• Davis for Misap?
    July 11, 2009 11:58 p.m.

This might be a situation where the Jazz go possitive with a little subtraction.

The Milsap offer is indeed "toxic." As hard as it is to say, and as much as we all love Milsap, he has to go. Good luck and best wishes.

One of the big problems this year was the "bottleneck" at the PF position. Davis could be as impactful as Milsap and would open things up for Okur's offense.

July 11, 2009 11:48 p.m.