Stadium of Fire flag burning was fake

Fire marshal said no; organizers say they didn't mean to deceive

• Awfacryingoutloud!
    July 14, 2009 2:36 p.m.

Get over it!

Just so's you know, the fireworks were not actual British artillery bombardment. The guns carried by the military honor guard were not actually loaded. And the Paleolibs posting here don't actually believe the bile they are spouting.

Some things are symbolic. They remind us of concepts that are hard to portray otherwise. We reverently retire a US flag as a symbol of the reverence we hold for the Nation it represents.

That reverence is the point.

Not all this "hate America first" bellyaching.

• To Utah haters
    July 14, 2009 2:06 p.m.

Please stop coming on here saying, "the flag burning was fake, just like everyone in Utah."

If you dont like Utah, please leave. There are 49 other states. Or, if you're outside of Utah, why do you think we want to read your constant put downs? Go post something on your own local news site that will make a difference. We don't visit your local news sites and put you down. We've got better things to do!

• To: Anon @ 1:38
    July 14, 2009 1:21 p.m.

If the liberals left, we would cut spending on Medicare and Social Security. That's because conservatives favor private health care "accounts" (i.e., don't waste money on visits to the doctor for the sniffles or to the E.R. for a routine headache), and we have also set up 401K plans. I have no hope for ever seeing a dime of social security. I've paid into it for years, but I'll get nothing out of it.

Social security is largely spent on politicians' pet projects and able-bodied lazy people of working age with only a fraction going to the elderly. The elderly, by the way, are also the most affluent group of people in the US.

July 14, 2009 1:38 a.m.

To: Anonymous @ 12:12 | 6:43 p.m. July 11, 2009

If it weren't for conservatives, there would be no America!

Liberal patriotism is the joke. What's in it for me? That's liberal patriotism. All you liberals can leave the country and our taxes would go down and everyone would be happier!

Liberal patriotism... What's in it for me???
    Then why is it that you as a conservative are the ones crying about paying taxes.

I've seen the America of conservatives by watching the GOP convention and found that the lack diversity a real concern.

Taxes won't go down unless spending is stopped on the three major sources of government spending:
    1. Medicare 23%
    2. Defense 21%
    3. Social Security 21%

Since conservatives refuse to touch #2 so its the old people that out of luck. Just look what happened to the deficit under Regan.

• cds
    July 13, 2009 10:17 p.m.

I was there, and I was entertained, isn't that what my 45$ paid for? Maybe people in general should learn more about their own procedures on how to retire a flag and maybe not be so surprised, or outraged knowing that that section was part of a show. Are you guys so outraged when motion pictures depict in "historical" movies stuff that is not "quite accurate"? It was a show, and they did it well, and as most shows half of it is fake. We live in a world were most of our surroundings are fake, we buy big houses to portray that we are better than the next guy, we buy cars to keep up with the Joneses, we go through high school trying to be in the popular croud whether we fit in it or not, should I go on...? We should really care about what happens in our schools, in our communities, and show your patriotism by being the best citizens you can be, not by how outraged you are for a "fake" retiring of a flag.

July 13, 2009 9:38 a.m.

"Stadium of Fire flag burning was fake"

Just like almost everything done in Utah!

• Amber
    July 12, 2009 6:16 p.m.

I'm a little annoyed that they tried to make us feel like we were witnessing a once in a lifetime opportunity and the/n it was fake. They definitely tried to deceive those there. We were on the field, right by the stage that they "burned" it on and we still thought they actually did. If they can't burn it fine, don't lead everyone on.

• Grimble
    July 11, 2009 10:25 p.m.

The stadium of fire is about patriotism in the same way that professional wrestling is about atheleticism (and Glenn Beck's tears are about sincerity).

• To: Anonymous @ 12:12
    July 11, 2009 6:43 p.m.

Conservatives are people who wave flags and avoid servicing America?

Are you serious?

Nearly the entire military is conservative - liberals in the Armed Services are few and far between.

If it weren't for conservatives, there would be no America!

• Re: Anon 11:43
    July 11, 2009 6:40 p.m.

"Most things in Utah are fake: the people, the religion..."

I've lived all over the world and can honestly tell you the people in Utah are among the most hospitable and friendly I've encountered. I do not live in Utah, but would give anything to find suitable employment to make this my home. It is clear that you don't appreciate what you have.

As far as the religion, again, I have done extensive research. The religion is anything but fake - even if you do not agree with the doctrine, it's difficult to deny the devotion the members have to their religion.

In either case, the solution is simple. If you don't like it, leave it. There are lots of other places and religions out there. You would be happier.

July 11, 2009 12:12 p.m.

Fake. What would be a better symbol of a conservative patriotic event? These are people who wave flags and avoid servicing America. Conservative patriotism is as hollow as a chocolate Easter bunny.

• it was WRONG.
    July 11, 2009 11:43 a.m.

The fact that there was no "malicious intent" is no justification.

Seriously, didn't the producers learn anything from the Paul Dunn scandal?

I guess not.

July 11, 2009 11:43 a.m.

Of course it was fake. Most things in Utah are fake: the people, the religion...

• Re: Kent
    July 11, 2009 11:39 a.m.

Hey Kent-

First of all, the Stadium of Fire is NOT a BYU production.

Two, it in fact was the BYU Daily Universe that broke the story of the faked ceremony.

• To rightascension | 9:35
    July 11, 2009 9:23 a.m.

Our flag does have magical properties. Every time I returned to the US compound during me recent mideast tour, it gave me a thrill to see Old Glory flying in whatever small breeze may have kicked up.

To reverently retire a worn out flag is symbolic of so many good things in our Nation.

Too bad it's all lost on you.

• rightascension
    July 10, 2009 9:35 p.m.

The whole business of retiring a flag by burning it is superstitiousness at its most perverse. Flags are cloth, period. Burning flags at the end of their usefulness makes sense only if flags have magical properties.

• Way to go Daily Universe!
    July 10, 2009 8:26 p.m.

Great job Daily Universe - this is uncovering truth at its finest. And this article should have attributed the DU breaking the story.

But those who are criticizing BYU for being behind this, it's not true. The stadium belongs to BYU but the whole SOF and other events are not run by BYU but by the Freedom Festival committee.

• Former Production crew member
    July 10, 2009 5:58 p.m.

I am sad that I posted a comment earlier on here that was censored by DesNews. As I mentioned earlier, I have worked side by side with Brad Pelo, as well as the other producers Chuck Gayton and Wayne Burch.

These are the most anti-American men I have worked with in my life. I saw the way they treated the military personnel who were on staff for the event, as well as their families.

Last year, I even saw the entire crew and producers eat in front of the full time military guy assigned to the show, without offering him some food.

There are a lot of skeletons in the closet of Stadium of Fire, and I wish the Freedom Festival would realize that and make some changes.

SOF was so much better in years past, and the thing that made so good, was not the JBro's or Miley, but it was a sincere event with true patriotism.

I am glad that the story got out about the ceremony being a fake, I voiced my concern about that many times, but was told to be quiet about it!

• Frank Castle
    July 10, 2009 5:49 p.m.

re: To Kent | 2:22 p.m. July 10, 2009

//Gotta have some opposition to all the left wing freaks in Salt Lake County.//

The 2nd district (the most liberal in the state) still had around 67% of people vote for Dubya in 2004.... Hardly the liberal lunatic fringe.

Its nowhere close to being balanced. Remember, kids! Bald Eagles need both a left wing and right wing to soar majestically.

• Sad Valley
    July 10, 2009 4:16 p.m.

"Who cares if it was real or not? It got people to cry."

Kind of like testimony meeting *rimshot*

• Bill in Payson
    July 10, 2009 3:35 p.m.

Monday morning quarterbacking is great fun. But, honesty would have been the best policy.

If only this much indignation could be generated in postings to news items of genuine tragedy. Humans are being butchered and raped by the hundreds in the Congo and the Sudan. But, SOF is what is really important.

• Janet
    July 10, 2009 2:58 p.m.

Who cares if it was real or not? It got people to cry. Great manipulation of emotion, guys! We need your services for the Ministry of Truth!

• To Kent
    July 10, 2009 2:22 p.m.

Gotta have some opposition to all the left wing freaks in Salt Lake County.

• So, Kent...
    July 10, 2009 2:10 p.m.

re: Kent | 1:40 p.m. July 10, 2009

What you are saying having been in the belly of the beast that Happy Valley is the capital of Shallow, superficial, & pay no attention to the man behind the curtain?

• I was there
    July 10, 2009 2:10 p.m.

It was a very touching ceremony. Glenn Beck also touched the crowd. It made me very humbled to be an American and to be in the presence of so many people who felt the same way I did. It doesn't matter whether or not it really occurred, because the intent was there. We all know what they meant, and that is enough for me.

• How Easy
    July 10, 2009 2:08 p.m.

How easy and appropriate would it have been to announce before the flag was brought in that the burning was symbolistic and that they were protecting the attendees from smoke toxins by not actually incinerating the flag there in the semi-closed stadium? Also announce that the flag would be "retired" in a safe location after the event. I am glad the fire marshal took the correct path by telling them not to burn the flag in there.

Where was he when they had the Million firecrackers go off at once and fried several rows of spectators faces?

Don't shut down the Stadium of Fire event because in reality it is a good and patriotic event enjoyed by 60,000 people. If you don't like it or BYU don't use a fake flag retirement as hate against the tradition or organization.

In the same breath... the organizer who made the decision to proceed the way they did after the fire marshal gave him the information probably ought to be re-evaluated regarding his decision making process and abilities.

• @1:40 p.m.
    July 10, 2009 2:00 p.m.

So who's the fool? You obviously went to BYU 'pretending' to be something you weren't. Are you proud of that?

July 10, 2009 1:51 p.m.

Well, I was in Africa, but I thought it was a great show...this is ridiculous.

• Kent
    July 10, 2009 1:40 p.m.

This is why I avoid Utah County. A bunch of right-wing freaks defending a fake flag retirement and telling everyone who didn't weep they should move to another country. BYU has always been about appearance rather than truth. I'm a graduate of the school so it feels like business as usual. As long as it looks right it doesn't matter if it is right.

• Wow
    July 10, 2009 1:40 p.m.

Our very own Milli Vanilli. I heard that what you thought was Glenn Beck was just a gaseous mass. Oh wait that one is true.

• To Alvin Toffler
    July 10, 2009 1:39 p.m.

"It is a perfect fit for all those who need to keep convincing themselves once a year how great our country is."

So you don't think this is a great country? I guess that attitude shouldn't shock me anymore. It is amazing the hate that comes out against anything that is patriotic these days.

• Cougar Blue
    July 10, 2009 1:34 p.m.

It is way past time to retire this lame 4th of July event. I am embarassed by the whole charade.

• Have seen it all!!!
    July 10, 2009 1:24 p.m.

The progressive stalin/socialists are not going to get away with 8 years of US/Bush bashing, especially when they, s/s, preach unity and then every time something happens the s/s disagree with they hurry to the media to make their displeasure known and then the s/s start crying when an individual dares come from behind the curtain and voice a contrary opinion.

This hateful rhetoric about the Freedom Festival/Stadium of Fire started way before any of us knew they were going to "symbolically" retire a flag that has done more than it's share to propagate freedom, and keep the hopes and dreams burning that are endlessly and tirelessly trying to be doused by the tear drenched faces of the stalin/socialists.

• Lois
    July 10, 2009 1:22 p.m.

If you go to the Daily Universe story, you will also learn that the air force pilots were not actually "live."

So when China, during the Olympics opening ceremony had the little girl lip sync....it's okay that we get outraged. But, when it's Stadium of Fire, and things we hold sacred as a country are faked, we should just shrug it off?

July 10, 2009 1:05 p.m.

No flag buring ceremony, then there is no issue of safety. The whole thing was manipulation and unnecessary.

• Who owned the
    July 10, 2009 1:02 p.m.

carbon credits to conduct the burning? Or was there a big pollution taxe paid to do this? The next thing the Democrats will do is ban fireworks. Too much pollution in the air. Won't matter what we are celebrating. You watch, it's coming.

• Pathetic
    July 10, 2009 12:57 p.m.

Are you people being serious right now? I cannot believe that this is such an issue! The whole reason they didn't retire the actual flag is that it was a SAFETY hazard! I can't even begin to fathom the uproar of angry comments that would be on here if they actually did burn that flag and people got sick from it. What do you people want?? Stop playing the victim like you were all made a fool of, you got what you paid for!

• Just when I thought I had seen..
    July 10, 2009 12:30 p.m.

it all. The Neo-Con Republicans who wear their phony patriotism on their sleeves make another idiotic move.

No wonder the GOP is in such shambles. Mission Accomplished.

• Frustrated
    July 10, 2009 12:29 p.m.

Thank you Deseret News for telling us the truth when the event failed to do so, but geez people, you need to give it a rest! They weren't trying to be malicious.

• David L.
    July 10, 2009 12:27 p.m.

These comments never cease to amaze me. You have to remember that their original intent was to retire the flag by burning, but with safety/health issues, that wasn't possible. Could they have been a little more clear about it? Yes. Were they trying to be malicious? No.

I'm not sure how preventing toxic fumes from irritating peoples lungs is related to Obama, Bush, Glenn Beck, Socialism, Jonas Brothers, Money, etc.

• @11:31 a.m.
    July 10, 2009 12:15 p.m.

It reminded me that you have the freedom to leave the United States of America anytime. Please do a yourself a favor and make it sooner rather than later. I hate to see one suffering so much. Spitting on the men and women who sacrificed all to afford us freedom is not going to be tolerated as long as I continue to have the freedom to raise my voice against those that would endeavor to silence this voice.

@11:49 a.m. It appears Utah is not missing much in your absence. Perhaps you would like to elaborate on your definition of "real compassion for their fellowmen"? and then take and live what you preach!!

• Fred
    July 10, 2009 12:12 p.m.

Did Glenn know it was going to be a fake burning?

July 10, 2009 11:54 a.m.

re: Pragmatist | 8:38 a.m. July 10, 2009

Isn't the old adage; Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear?

July 10, 2009 11:50 a.m.

re: It was a beautiful ceremony | 11:27 p.m. July 9, 2009

Will someone please get Brother Glenn a slap chop or keep him away from the Onions.

• Only in Utah
    July 10, 2009 11:49 a.m.

It would appear that most of the comments are from people who've never been to the movies, don't watch television or attend the local HS plays. A dramatic representation is all it was. No harm, no foul. Unless you truly believe that the Transformers are really here on earth, or that fish in the ocean do talk to one another and sound just like Ellen. The comments about Beck are rather funny. Would you really expect someone from CNN to be as patriotic? As a member of the media myself, I see the liberal agenda pushed constantly on every news channel ... EVERY NEWS CHANNEL. Only in Utah would a production for entertainment value be ripped for doing exactly what it is meant to do, entertain. I'm glad I moved away, Utahns are too stuck on themselves to have any real compassion for their fellow man.

• Barney
    July 10, 2009 11:49 a.m.

re: Fred | 4:23 a.m. July 10, 2009

//Perhaps they didn't burn it because Senator Orrin Hatch's proposed Constitutional Ammendment would ban flag burning...//

July 10, 2009 11:38 a.m.

Love the David Copperfield comment. Brilliant!

• Alvin Toffler
    July 10, 2009 11:31 a.m.

"Theater not Patriotism" offered us the most important message of all: we really don't understand much about what "patriotism" really means. SOF has been a commercial endeavor since its inception; it was never any more than that. It exists to promote and reinforce the beliefs of the true-believer conservatives of this county. It lost any credibility it may have had when it began inviting the right-wing propagandists and tearful fawners like Hannity and Beck to emcee. It is a perfect fit for all those who need to keep convincing themselves once a year how great our country is.

July 10, 2009 10:50 a.m.

A few years ago, I spoke with a producer of the Stadium of Fire show and asked about the singers, if there was lip-syncing. He laughed and said, like I was stupid for asking, "Of course." It is all contrived.

• A. C.
    July 10, 2009 10:37 a.m.

Where was all this controversy when the phony bho was worshiped in a multi-million dollar fantasy celebration in a state that is paying their debts with 'IOUS'? I like the "CHANGE", I just hope my mortgage company doesn't mind getting an iou!

Did not hear any objection to his absurdly arrogant multi-million dollar inauguration celebration in a state that has to release 10,000 prisoners to fix their budget woes.

To all you who live in Utah and whine and moan about Utah, Thank you for exposing your membership in the 'divided socialist states of america', by making a controversy (Stadium of Fire, Flag Retirement) out of nothing in an attempt to rescind ammendment 1 of the Constitution. This is how 'your' pres. is working to change the Constitution.

I thought he was going to be a uniter? Mission Accomplished!

• Ann
    July 10, 2009 10:27 a.m.

Good points. We probably all agree that the Stadium of Fire should have let the audience know what was really going on.

Have any of you ever planned a big event? I have, and it's easy to think the audience will respond one way and then find out later that they responded completely opposite. What they thought "wasn't a big deal" was to a lot of people. It wasn't to me, but I can see it being that way to a lot of other people.

Does this mistake deserve such comments as: "piggery" "dishonest" "deceit" "appalling" "theater not patriotism", etc? My point is, it's easy to show hatred towards another party (the Stadium of Fire, the guy in the car in front of you, etc) but it really does nothing to help the situation.

A real solution is to let the representatives of the Stadium of Fire know how you feel as rationally and reasonable as possible. Posting hateful comments on a news forum is just an easy way to start a hate fest.

• David Copperfield
    July 10, 2009 10:24 a.m.

Maybe David Copperfield should be Master of Ceremonies next year.

• Sad truth
    July 10, 2009 10:18 a.m.

The Sad truth is many people do not know how to properly display the flag, retire the flag and in todays world respect the flag. As a vet and an individual who loves and respects this country and our way of life. Simulated or not it is moving ceremony governed by law if it was conducted properly I say Amen! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN!!!

• joan
    July 10, 2009 10:17 a.m.

I was at SOF for the first time ever, reluctantly, but we went to see the JoBros with my daughter. We were given free tickets. I thought the flag burning initially was quite nice, but it just got way too corny, and over the top, with the Glen Beck tears, etc. Now to hear the whole thing was a fake?? How stupid! Just don't retire the flag at all. The rest of the show would have been great, fantastic concert, fireworks were spectacular!! I think from now on I will continue my policy of staying out of Utah County...

• That's Entertainment
    July 10, 2009 10:06 a.m.

I wish I could have been there. It sounds like it was a great show.

• Stadium of Misfire
    July 10, 2009 10:04 a.m.

I hope a lesson was learned from this deception.

July 10, 2009 10:00 a.m.

Patriotism is NOT a religious acitivity. This was just over the top.

July 10, 2009 9:58 a.m.

A phony ceremony intended to manipulate the feelings of the audience. What a disgrace! I mean, really!

• Jacob
    July 10, 2009 9:58 a.m.

It doesn't matter that the flag was not actually burned, it was still honored. Would you rather have had toxic fumes wafting through the croud? I think they did the right thing given the circumstances.

• Jen
    July 10, 2009 9:56 a.m.

From Wikihow:
    Ceremonial Burning of the Flag

* This ceremony should be conducted at a private, non-public location.
    * The burning of a Flag should take place at a campfire in a ceremony separate from the Ceremony of Final Tribute. The fire must be sizable (preferably having burnt down to a bed of red hot coals to avoid having bits of the Flag being carried off by a roaring fire), yet be of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning.

I agree with Walks like a duck above...just tell us what was going on...don't pretend. They should have retired it properly afterward. They didn't even do that. They just put it away somewhere.

• Kit
    July 10, 2009 9:53 a.m.

Kit, I hope you're intent was sarcasm.

If it wasn't, the irony is pretty funny.

• Jen Jensen
    July 10, 2009 9:41 a.m.

Wow. I am truly appalled. My 8-year old son and I attended and I explained to him with tears in my eyes that they indeed were burning the flag. I cried along with the other 50,000+ people. They didn't mean to deceive? I too feel that it was shady and dishonest. It IS a big deal. It's our flag-the symbol of our nation that most of us take very seriously. I felt manipulated and gullible when I first read this. The ceremony shouldn't have been done if the flag wasn't going to truly be retired.

• Walks like a duck...
    July 10, 2009 9:40 a.m.

I wasn't there, but it sounds like deceit to me. Like someone said above, SoF should have just played it above board and told the audience the ceremony would be finalized in a controlled environment later on. No need to pretend to do it and not tell the observers what was actually going on. Really lame.

I'd feel duped if I were there.

• Phoebe
    July 10, 2009 9:38 a.m.

Dear "Ann":

It's not a matter of "hate." It's just a matter of wanting some reality in our national life. It's not a big controversy, I'll grant you that, but still, it's a shame that we've all gotten so used to being deceived in all things, big and little.

• Fake!
    July 10, 2009 9:38 a.m.

The fireworks were fake too, along with the lip-sync singing, the stadium was there but some of the people around you were holographic images ... OOOOO scarrrry!

• piggery not patriotism
    July 10, 2009 9:34 a.m.

When we first moved here I helped clean after the stadium of fire. It was appalling. I lost respect for BYU, for Stadium of Fire, and for everyone who went there to honor America and threw garbage on the ground.

Now we go to a local park and watch small town fireworks. People pick up after themselves.

• Ann
    July 10, 2009 9:07 a.m.

It's amazing to me how much people want to create controversy, when in reality, this is not a big deal. This is a reason why hate develops so easily in this country - people (and newspapers) want to find a reason to be annoyed at someone else. Let it go, people, and be annoyed at things like poverty and hunger.

July 10, 2009 8:58 a.m.

sacred? deceit is more like it.

• sll
    July 10, 2009 8:57 a.m.

This is hilarious. "Theater Not Patriotism" hit the nail on the head. It's pride of the lowest sort. And "absurd" is exactly the right word. I love it!

• Re: Scott | 8:09 a.m.
    July 10, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Ya, only in Utah do I have to read ignorant comments like yours. Where are all these ignorant Utahans coming from, California?

• Mike
    July 10, 2009 8:52 a.m.

Big deal. Who cares?

• wer
    July 10, 2009 8:46 a.m.

This article comes from a newspaper that has had ZERO photos of a patriotic parade in Provo that attracted a sizable portion of the population-over 200,000.

• Ashamed
    July 10, 2009 8:41 a.m.

My wife said, "How tacky." I agree.

We were just a few yards away from the flag that night. Something was obviously off, but now I feel manipulated and sort of dirty.

I take the retiring of the flag very seriuosly.

I feel that this charade brought dishonor to that amazing flag. At the very least you gave the critics a giant slice of fodder, way to freaking go. Geesh.

I paid a lot of money to take my family to the stadium on fire.

I am pretty sure I am not going to do it again.

• Pragmatist
    July 10, 2009 8:38 a.m.

Once we realize that much of what we see and hear is faked, then we'll be old & wise enough to vote, and choose a religion.

• RE: Tears of a Clown
    July 10, 2009 8:33 a.m.

Do you believe that MSNBC, ABC, NBC CNN or any other news outlet delivers accurate news? If so, please reply with your contact information so I can sell you some disease-infested swampland that I will tell you is an oasis with the fountain of youth that actually works.

• Theater not Patriotism
    July 10, 2009 8:30 a.m.

The Freedom Festival is one huge circus with a stadium of fire finale that misrepresents patriotism for profit.

Patriotism is giving selflessly to your country, not taking the most the market will bear from your neighbors and demanding government services while constantly complaining about paying your taxes. Those who drive to the freedom festival waving their flag from their foreign cars after exploiting their neighbors and their country every other day of the year have no idea what patriotism means.

I quit attending the Stadium of Fire when I realized it is simply a rameumptom for those who do not understand patriotism to exclude the poor while they claim they are better than those in every other nation. Toby Keith, Glenn Beck, George Jr, and Dick Cheney never served our country, they all wrap themsevles in the flag while forwarding their own personal agenda for selfish means.

I learned more about this country while serving abroad, alone with my M-16 night after night, than these people will ever understand. It is time to teach humility and service and stop the charade of pride and prejudice.

Thanks Stadium of Fire for making the absurdity of your event so obvious.

July 10, 2009 8:21 a.m.

The Daily Universe at BYU actually broke this story yesterday and the other Utah news outlets followed today, so kudos to them. I think it's an important, relevant story. When China faked aspects of the opening ceremonies in Bejiing, we were all outraged. Now that something very similar has happened in the U.S., it would be a little hypocrtical for us to ignore it.

• Scott
    July 10, 2009 8:09 a.m.

I think we should retire Provo in a burning ceremony. Stupid people still hanging on to W and Beck. Holy cow. Only in Utah.

• To Abe at 7:45 a.m.`
    July 10, 2009 8:08 a.m.

Funny how you want to turn an event staged by the uberRight that turns out to be a manipulation of facts and emotions into an indictment of the Obama administration.

Wish I lived in your world. I'm sure it has pretty flowers.

• kit
    July 10, 2009 8:08 a.m.

Let's all find something better to do with our lives than sit around and criticize a concert! I can't believe the people on here who sit around all day just looking for someway to express their opinions about the most rediculous things.

• Tears of a Clown
    July 10, 2009 8:02 a.m.

Just consider who they chose as the guest MC: Glenn Beck from "Fox News", the "news authority".

It shouldn't surprised anyone that the Stadium of Fire audience was snookered into believing it was a genuine flag retirement ceremony.

• Guess What
    July 10, 2009 8:02 a.m.

It was pageantry. I assume you've all been to Manti. When you watch a production of anykind some things are fake if thats what you want to call it. Its a show designed to pay tribute to America. Alot of what they do is symbolic. Enjoy the meaning of the show,and find something meaningful to whine about.

• Apparently
    July 10, 2009 8:01 a.m.

Sacred = Deceit?

This statement sums it up:
    "We felt, in the spirit and reverence of the moment, that we didn't need to say explicitly that we were not burning the flag," he said. "By dissecting the ceremony, you are going to take away the sacredness."

Wow. That is horrendous. All they had to say was thanks for showing respects to the flag and we'll formally burn it in a controlled environment due to health concerns over toxins. That's it. Then there's no deceit, no implication of anything else happening.

I'm very glad I don't pay money to support the Freedom Festival. Interpreted freedom is not how I show my devotion to my country.

• Querelous
    July 10, 2009 7:52 a.m.

Just wondering when people might realize how often their sentiments are manipulated for the sake of making money or making policy. Patriotism and money making seem to meet often this time of year. Interesting to see the 'reactions' to those who attended and might have been 'duped.' Tears, since when do they determine a robust truth or authentic experience? Enjoy the show....

• Abe
    July 10, 2009 7:45 a.m.

Give me a break. The plan was in place and there was a safety issue. It's the principle. Who cares whether the flag was actually burned right there. Put things into perspective and try to appreciate the contstraints and get into the spirit of the ceremony. Here we are being duped by a socialist-slanted government with Cap & Trade on the horizon etc. and all we whine about is a bit of prestidigitation.

My my,

• Hans in California
    July 10, 2009 7:43 a.m.

I was there in Provo for the Stadium of Fire on the Fourth. As for the fake flag burning: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" Another "OZ" moment in Utah!

• Colorado Cougar
    July 10, 2009 7:43 a.m.

Ha ha ha, Brad Pelo, you fooled us even though you never technically said the flag was being burned. It's a bit like staging a robbery with someone coming in to a store with fake bullets. Any witness wouldn't know the difference unless they were told. Shame on you Pelo. You must be an attorney to play the word games that you are playing. You know very well you tried to fool the audience. Do I need to tell my daughters that the Jonas Brothers were fake, too????

• Himself
    July 10, 2009 7:27 a.m.

If you want to see an American flag burn just tune in
    to Al Jajeera.

• dave
    July 10, 2009 7:16 a.m.

Does Glenn Becks retirement involve a cauldron also?

• Such a Metaphor
    July 10, 2009 7:14 a.m.

For many things believed by Glenn Beck and the gang.

• grumpolman
    July 10, 2009 7:11 a.m.

For those who weren't there your comments are as hollow as your heads. For those that were and couldn't believe the flag was not actually burned it was pretty obvious by the perfect flame that the actual flag wasn't being incinerated. The ceremony itself was dragged out too long anyway. The best part of the night was watching all the young girls freak out over the Jonas Brothers, I haven't seen that since the Beatles.

• Chris in Texas
    July 10, 2009 6:39 a.m.

Stadium of Smoke - cough, wheeze, cough!

July 10, 2009 5:18 a.m.

echos of Paul Dunn..

• Fred
    July 10, 2009 4:23 a.m.

By the way, did Glenn Beck talk about agreeing with a guest on his TV show that the US needs Osama bin Laden to have another successful attack on the US to save our country?

• dishonest
    July 10, 2009 2:24 a.m.

End did not justify the means. They should of played straight.

It's time for the stadium to retire and move on. Go back to the old fashioned fourth that had fireworks for everyone.

• Mission Accomplished
    July 10, 2009 1:22 a.m.

How appropriate that Glen Beck was the MC of the Stadium of Fire: the flag burning and Glen Beck's patriotism were both artificial. And showing the photographs of W. Bush was an added reminder of mistatements and misrepresentations wrapped around patriotic platitudes. As Samuel Johnson once said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Mission Accomplished.

• Stadium of Lame
    July 10, 2009 1:11 a.m.

Wait.....Provo had a massive flag burning? Where's the outrage?

• Making mountains out of mole hil
    July 10, 2009 1:06 a.m.

Its a good thing those who wanted a flag burning ammendment didn't get their way apparently.

Didn't they know that burning the flag was the proper way to dispose of it?

I am a van pool driver and shortly after 9-11, one member of the van opened the door while we were at a red light (it could have turned green at any time) and picked up a flag he saw lying on the ground. He was so happy with himself for "rescuing" the flag.

I thought it was silly and dangerous for him to put himself at risk for that. The country was no better off for what he did, and his family could have lost him entirely or partially due to injury.

July 10, 2009 12:51 a.m.

Glenn Becks tears were fake too. He is totally a fake person with not a care about this country. All he cares about are his financiers. Sorry, Beck is a fake!

• agree with 11:26pm
    July 9, 2009 11:56 p.m.

I was waiting for it to be burned on the big metal structure right by the container and somewhat bummed they didn't.

Now I wonder why they acted like they burned it, they should have just made a coffin for the flag and said the flag was being laid to rest for eternity, that way there is no fabrication what so ever.

• Actually...
    July 9, 2009 11:51 p.m.

CougarKeith, people don't know how to properly retire the flag, what they did is like putting a normal flag in tupperware and lighting a tea candle on top of it.

I was there, it was a touching moment indeed, and still would have been if they told the truth. They did intentionally deceive us, though they did it with good intentions, they shouldn't deny it.

• jason
    July 9, 2009 11:41 p.m.

Let's just retire the Stadium of Fire, it is truly out of control...imho!

• It was a beautiful ceremony
    July 9, 2009 11:27 p.m.

and, most importantly, Glenn Beck cried.
    I was moved.

• appropriate term
    July 9, 2009 11:26 p.m.

Please, don't refer to this special kind of ceremony as a flag burning. It is more appropriate to call it "retiring the flag". Flag burnings are done in protest to our government and laws, and not at all respectful. To "retire the flag" is to give it honor for all it represents to us.

I confess that I am stunned that the flag wasn't actually retired in the ceremony. I wasn't there, but there were so many positive comments about the experience. Having watched and participated in actual flag retirement ceremonies, I can imaging that this was indeed a touching moment for those who care. Perhaps organizers being a little more straight forward would have been more appropriate. I hope that the flag DOES get a real retirement ceremony in a safe and honorable way.

God bless America! And may we be and become worthy of those blessings.

• CougarKeith
    July 9, 2009 11:18 p.m.

It was the interpretation and idea to originally "Burn" it, so it was burned in ceremony and retired. "GET OVER IT!" Nobody decieved anyone, it wasn't burned because the FIRE MARSHALL said it would have Dangerous Toxins! It was retired, and it looked Authentic, that was the desired effect. Now 60,000 know how to Retire A Flag Properly, the lesson was there, and the "Enactment" was there, and so was the Sacredness of the event. I don't go to Stadium of Fire because it's a waste in my mind to pay that much to see some celebrities sing and perform, and watch fireworks in a VERY CROWDED place. I attend Levelle Edwards Stadium for what really counts, "FOOTBALL SEASON", the Star Spangled Banner and the prayer! All 6 Games!

• tigerlily
    July 9, 2009 11:06 p.m.

my family was there to see the Jonas Brothers

• Rhett
    July 9, 2009 10:56 p.m.

Such a big and special moment for all those who attended, only to find out that we didn't witness a flag burning.

• Carl
    July 9, 2009 10:51 p.m.

Stadium of Fire is about making money. If you are critical you are said to be "unpatriotic." Its too big, too long, too dirty and too much.

• K
    July 9, 2009 10:20 p.m.

Then why were all those people there?