Family

Let's hear what you remember about the moon landing

Comments

• Kjirstin Youngberg
    July 18, 2009 10:26 p.m.

My mother was mortified when my father walked to the front of the chapel during our sacrament service, whispering to the Bishop that Armstrong was about to walk on the moon. The Bishop got up, announced that we would now end the meeting with a prayer, so we could all arrive home in time to watch the event. All of us kids nearly cheered! Of course, there were delays and my mother had to say, "I told you so!" as we could have finished our church meeting and still seen it. I took black and white photos from our TV which I still have...I only wish Walter Cronkite could have lived another three days. My friend was a ham radio operator who recorded something the TV viewers didn't hear, about Armstrong not being alone up there. He recorded it on a little reel to reel recorder. He still has that, too.

• Viet Vet
    July 18, 2009 3:54 p.m.

I was at PBR Mobile Base 1 at Tan My, Viet Nam. Our TV reception was so bad, we didn't get to see a thing.

• Jim Phillips
    July 18, 2009 1:41 p.m.

I was an Air Force fighter pilot at the time, stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB. We stayed up all night watching the first moon landing. The most exciting action was just as the Luner lander slowly descended. You could see the shadow of the lander on the surface of the moon, with the shadow of the long probe getting closer and slowly to the surface, than you could see moon dust being kicked up. The excitement increased when you knew they were just about out of the fuel allotted for the landing. What a sigh of relief went around and then a big cheer as Niel announced "The Eagle has landed!" His descent on the ladder and his statement was another historic moment as well as when they planted the American flag. Those were exciting and proud times.

• Mike Reid
    July 18, 2009 1:23 p.m.

I was an eight year old Cub Scout at the time. We were at a Cub Scout activity at Navy Pier in Chicago. We were called to gather around a small TV to witness the historic event. I don't remember if this was the landing on the moon or the actual walking on the moon.

• AndyInLondon
    July 17, 2009 11:34 p.m.

I was 12 years old, and had been taken to Disneyland with my friend Robert by his father. We spent the day there, and they had put up big television monitors in Tomorrowland, near the "Flight To The Moon" attraction. It seemed the perfect place, from a 12 year old's perspective to be witnessing that great moment.

When I got home later that day, of course my family was still watching the coverage on television, and my grandfather, who at 84 was then living with us, kept insisting that it was all a fake, and could not be convinced by any of us that it wasn't all a hoax being filmed in a television studio. He had worked all his life at one of the major film studios, constructing furniture for sets, and felt he understood stagecraft and the trickery of film, and was getting madder and madder at the fast one he thought was being pulled on us.

• Get a clue!
    July 17, 2009 3:41 p.m.

To all who believe that the moon landing was legit, you are all just a bunch of sheep following the sheepherder. You will believe anything that is put on the news, and talk negatively about anyone who doesn't believe it. You say "but it was on the news, so it has to be true". I have seen enough evidence myself to believe that it was all a hoax and probably filmed out in the Nevada desert somewhere. You all probably believe Oswald acted alone too, right? Go ahead and bash me for this comment, but when all is said and done I'll still be able to think for myself and you all will still be as naive as ever.

• Red
    July 17, 2009 12:34 p.m.

I was a grad student at the time. The wife and I were watching a friend's color TV (couldn't afford one of our own.

The darn TV set went "POP," and flames came shooting out of it!

Sadly, we missed most of the lunar broadcast--

• Dave
    July 17, 2009 11:48 a.m.

I was a crewchief on a UH1 helicopter flying over Saigon when we heard the news. I never got to see the footage until years later.

• Sadly...
    July 16, 2009 9:55 p.m.

I was nearly five but I don't remember a dang thing about it!!! I wish I could!
    So now I have to go to the commemorative website that's counting down the events -- virtual memories?! Who'da thought!

• LNH
    July 16, 2009 3:17 p.m.

I was 15 that summer and working on a ranch out in the sticks with no electicity. It just so happened that night I was asked to babysit some neighbors kids so I was able to see the moon walk afterall. I seemed like it took forever for Neil Armstrong to actually get out of the module and get down the latter. All the while Walter Cronkite kept talking with little tid bits of information until Armstrong finally made it down to the moon. I remember being in awe and thinking this is just the begiinning of many more things to come. Although we haven't become the great space explorers I thought we would it is still a great memory.

• G
    July 16, 2009 9:59 a.m.

Armstrong stepped out onto the surface about six hours after the actual landing, which occurred in the afternoon, Eastern time. Kids watching the "small step" had to stay up late.

The intervening hours were spent on system checks, preparations for an emergency departure, and donning a very bulky suit in a very small space.

• Gary, American Fork, UT
    July 16, 2009 9:37 a.m.

I was 17 years old that summer and I had watched the Apollo 11 launch on a TV set in a hotel in Mexico. We made it home to California not long before the first moonwalk was televised. I'll never forget those ghostly images of Neil Armstrong stepping down off the ladder and touching lunar soil for the first time. "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" INDEED! Television technology had a long way to go to catch up to space technology! After watching the unreal looking television images, I went outside to look up at the moon. It was overwhelming to think that there were men from my own country walking on the moon at that very moment. That moment, I realized that the last frontiers of the planet earth had now been overshadowed by the new frontier of space.

• Tom Tolman
    July 16, 2009 7:31 a.m.

I had just returned home from Viet Nam the previous Fall and was finishing my Jr. Year at Weber State College. I was a photographer/reporter while in Viet Nam and was working towards a major in art with a minor in photography at Weber. I thought it would be cool to photograph the moon walk on TV, so I set up my tripod & camera, and adjusted the settings so I could avoid the lines in my photo. We just had an old Dumont black & white TV we had bought at a thrift store while in the Army, but it was a big 21” screen which gave a great picture for that time period. I took several shots while the moon landing was being telecast and they turned out pretty good for shooting it from the TV. I actually used some of the images in my school assignments later that year and was impressed at how well they worked out and how fellow classmates and my instructors were excited to see what I had accomplished. I still have the negatives somewhere in my files, because I have continued in art and photography professionally for over 40 years.

• Ken V.
    July 16, 2009 6:16 a.m.

I was attending the Boy Scout National Jamboree in Farragut State Park in Idaho when the Lunar Module landed. I remember the entire camp being totally quiet during the landing, with everyone huddled around a radio in each troop campsite, listening live to the landing. I remember being totally fascinated by all of Alrin's technical jargon as he assisted Armstrong's piloting with navigation and condition call outs as the landing and touch down progressed. When we finally heard the phrase "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed" the entire camp erupted into a HUGE cheer. I can still feel the emotion of that moment.

• Steve
    July 16, 2009 12:41 a.m.

I remember watching Neal Armstrong and Buzz Aldren on my Grandmother's old Black and White Admiral Television. I was 15 and less than one month from my 17th birthday. I was excited. I could not explain to my grandmother why they could actually stay on the moon. My grandmother, born in 1889, could not put it together that the moon had gravity. She understood that the moon was in space and there was no gravity in space, so there was no gravity on the moon. My grandfather believed that Mars was as far as their was. There was nothing beyond Mars. I had to keep re-assuring my grandmother that the astronauts would not just float away.

• Jimbo
    July 15, 2009 10:20 p.m.

I was 11 years old in my home town of Cedar City and have two distinct memories of the event. 1)My older brother was taking a photograph of the image on our black and white Dumont television by holding the shutter open on his camera. (no VCRs at that time) 2) Thinking to my self that Neil Armstrong's "one small step.... one giant leap" statement was pretty clever to come up with on the spur of the moment.

• Scott Wall
    July 15, 2009 8:51 p.m.

I was 13 years old at the time. I remember the excitement of man landing on the moon. I had followed the space program from the days of the Mercury astronauts and this was the crowning achievement. What a moment as I sat in my grandparents TV room and watched this event with my family, grandparents, Uncle, Aunt and cousins.

I will never forget that day as it was the last time I saw my Uncle alive. He was killed the next February in an accident.

• Stephen Price
    July 15, 2009 7:32 p.m.

What a great post Mike Jacobson! America always finds a way to get through it. In turmoil, someone or something always steps up to bring us all together. The Moon Landing did just that. Way to go America!

• For Bill "Cranky" Baumgardner
    July 15, 2009 4:09 p.m.

Bill -

Congratulations. You were a negative, cynical, crusty man 40 years ago and you still are today.

Here's your sign....

• awsomeron
    July 15, 2009 3:47 p.m.

I am Not Sure, I have to look at my time line. I know I watched it on TV Repeat, after Repeat. I know I felt great pride in being an American. I Remember it was a good moment.

We had accomplished something No Other Nation could come close to doing. We Need to be American and have more National Pride, as Americans.

The accomplishment was great. God Bless America.

• Gail
    July 15, 2009 12:27 p.m.

My husband and I were sitting on the bed (we had a 2 room apartment) and I was holding our 9 month old son on my lap. David and I were both in tears at the wonder of humans in space, and I kept telling the baby to watch and remember! My husband decided then that if he ever had a chance, he would fly to the moon. He now wants to go to the spacestation. We are still in awe and wonder at the magisty of space

• Chip
    July 15, 2009 12:19 p.m.

Enter commentI was 3.....

• Mike Jacobson
    July 15, 2009 11:58 a.m.

It was both a day of excitement and sadness for me and my family, as it was also the day I left for "boot camp" and the unknown that lie ahead with the war in Vietnam. The moon landing was a breath of fresh air for this country during a time of great turmoil and division due to racial tension, the ramping up of the "Cold War", threats of an expanded arms race, nuclear submarines and ballistic missiles, the war in Southeast Asia, and last but not least...Peace, Love, and Flower Power!

Like so many heroic patriots before him, Neil Armstrong's "giant step" that day helped bring Americans together with a pride that validated all that has ever been GREAT about this Country!

• Maung Maung
    July 15, 2009 10:13 a.m.

I was in school (in Burma) and the name of Commander Neil Armstrong struck in mind ever since.

• C Allen Meeker, Knox PA
    July 15, 2009 9:28 a.m.

It was 2 days before my wife & I would go get our marriage license on her 19th birthday. We married on the 28th, & are still married w/3 grown sons all married themselves. I've heard all the it "never" happened, Hollywood hype. But still remember watching in awe of what could be done "if you believe, you can achieve"! Hopefully, if we indeed do return, the lunar lander will be found & our flag will still be proudly standing. Time's they have indeed changed. But we can still pray, believe & achieve, it's our choice! I choose to stay a believer, maybe for some just a dreamer. I remember one astronaut's words very clearly..."I feel I have touched the face of God!" Not yet, but very soon. Get ready...bigger & far greater things are on the way!

• James
    July 15, 2009 9:10 a.m.

It was all a set up.

• Robert Wasser
    July 15, 2009 7:25 a.m.

I was with a girl I never saw again, at a place I have never been again, watching something I would only witness once. A week later I left for a one year tour of combat duty in the Central Highlands of Vietnam. Neither of which I will never forget.

• Marc Roddin, Sandy UT
    July 14, 2009 7:15 p.m.

I remember this vividly, as it happened to be my 19th birthday. My Mom and Dad and I were glued to our black and white TV set, and everyone was jubilant.

• trina
    July 14, 2009 3:05 p.m.

I have a question. didn't the moon landing happen later at night? I just looked up the CBS video and I swear it said on the footage "10:46pm EDT" -- so was it played live? or was it taped delayed? If it was live, how can people say they were at school or they rushed home from church or similar situations when it would've been like 9 p.m., at least here in Utah?

Just a question, just wondering.

• Stacey - Midvale
    July 14, 2009 2:20 p.m.

The moon landing is one of my very first memories. I was nearly two years old... I know, people don't believe that I remember this, but I do. We were in our living room, my parents were sitting on the couch to the right of the room, my siblings on the left. I was sitting on the floor near our fireplace and the black and white tv was on the other side of the room. I wasn't quite sure what was going on but my parents were making a huge deal about it. I remember grainy b/w images of the capsule and the "spaceman" and I can't say i knew what they were, but I do remember that day and the fuss.

• Mooney
    July 14, 2009 1:19 p.m.

LOL. Silly people. Man has not stepped foot on the moon. The US gov has never, and will never, show us something so monumentous and historic... live.. What a scam on the people of the earth.

• Jimmy Brady jr.
    July 14, 2009 1:06 p.m.

I was at Ft. Bliss Texas, waiting to be shipped out to Vietnam in the next few days.

• Melinda Arnold
    July 14, 2009 1:03 p.m.

I was celebrating my 13 birthday on July 20, 1969 when we found out about the moon landing. We watched it on our black & white television. I knew I was lucky to have it happen on my birthday and every year I can remember when it happened and know how many years it's been. What a special birthday present!

• Leo
    July 14, 2009 12:43 p.m.

I was 11 years old (Apollo 11) - First time there is a TV at home, just in time to see Neil Armstrong take the first step on the Moon.

• Patty
    July 14, 2009 10:40 a.m.

I remember sitting on the floor in the gymnasium at Provost Elementary School in Provo, Utah. The whole entire school was there watching it on a television. I remember my heart pounding when they put up the American Flag it gave me goose bumps and still does every time I see it again. One of those things you will always be in your memory bank.

• Linda F
    July 14, 2009 10:32 a.m.

I was 12 years old and living in Bountiful, Utah. My older sister had left a small reel to reel tape recorder that she had used in college . I took the recorder downstairs to the basement to watch our black & white Admiral TV and I pretended that I was Walter Cronkite and that I was making a news recording which I would later play for the family. "Ladies & Gentlemen we have landed on the moon, yes, we have landed on the moon". Sadly, I don't have the recording anymore. I also thought we would surely be able to see that flag on the moon when we went outside because the moon was gray and the flag was RW&B. My husband who is older than I am has no recollection of the event because he was up at his parents summer and they had no radio that would receive a signal. I am at the location right now. My next door neighbor in UT who is from Iran told me that were at their summer place on the Caspian Sea and everyone huddled around the radio to listen she translated for the household hep & nannies.

• Big Daddy
    July 14, 2009 9:21 a.m.

I was 14 years old, at Anaheim Stadium watching the Angels play the Oakland A's - they flashed on the scoreboard that Man had landed on the Moon. I drew on my program a picture of a spacecraft landing on the Moon...I still have the program...

• deedee
    July 14, 2009 8:24 a.m.

I was 12. My grandma had the only color TV in the town where I grew up.
    She lived next door to us so we went to her house to watch the landing. It was standing room only. As many of the towns people as could fit in her front room had arrived to see and hear about the moon landing. People were even on the front porch watching. IT was great!!! We all cheered.

• Hassan Salisu
    July 14, 2009 7:06 a.m.

I was nine years old and in primary school then in Lagos ,Nigeria.All I can remember was the fear of particle dustts coming to earth from the moon and that such dust partcles were responsible for eye infections popularly called "apolo".However, it was exciting to me that humans could land on the moon!

• bmblack
    July 13, 2009 11:05 p.m.

We lived in Tustin, California and had just moved into our new home. I was just four years old, but I remember going to our next door neighbors home to watch it on their television as they had a bigger screen than we did. recall sitting on the floor right in front of the TV and hearing the words,"One small step..."

• captain
    July 13, 2009 6:59 p.m.

I was 13years old and walked outside in long beach calif. and looked up at the moon and thought to myself... "wow there are two people on the moon right now. That is sooo cool!" I also was so proud to be an American.

• J. Wilhite, Red Bluff
    July 13, 2009 3:43 p.m.

It was my 15th birthday and I had been asked by my best friends family to water their yard. I used their key and watched the event on their color TV. I was respectful of their home but I remember sitting in their house by myself and watched the whole event. What a birthday present.

• Bettie Allee
    July 13, 2009 1:02 p.m.

It was the most wonderful moment in history, watching the television and at the same time looking through my telescope, realizing they really were up there!! I was always facinated with the space program, and hoped it would always continue.

• Bee's Mom
    July 13, 2009 12:18 p.m.

I turned 5 the day before, and I have always associated the moon landing with my birthday.

We didn't have a television until I was 12, so we had to go to my Aunt and Uncle's house and watch it there. I think it may have been the first time I ever saw a television.

I remember watching the tiny man in a white suit climb down a ladder and step onto the moon. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I knew it was important. I will never forget the look on my Mother's face. The awe and wonder in her eyes are perhaps my most vivid memory. When I asked her what was happening, she said this: "What is happening is the end of the world we knew. Nothing will ever be the same after this."

I didn't understand her then, but I do now. I used the same words to explain to my 3 year old daughter what was happening on 911. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same type of event, but the result was the same.

• Bill Baumgardner Sr.
    July 13, 2009 11:05 a.m.

In my comment above, I ran out of room to put my city, so I will put it here in case you would like to print some REAL TRUTH.
    My name is William Arthur Baumgardner Sr. & I live in New Philadelphia Ohio USA.
    Thank you.

• Bill Baumgardner Sr.
    July 13, 2009 11:02 a.m.

My dad & I sat there & watched it on TV live & when it showed the ball shape of the moon in the background, we just looked at each other & bust out laughing! :) It is the biggest hoax ever played out on the American people & most, at that time believed it. Now it is a whole different thing to find as many that believe it now. I KNOW it was a real joke THEN & still is. I have seen too much evidence since then that helps me to know what a real hoax it was & still is. IT NEVER HAPPENED PEOPLE!! I do not have to prove to anyone that it did not happen. This country has the responsibility to prove it did & that is impossible to do, because it never happened. We will all know the real truth about it someday, but by then, of course, who will care? Ha Ha Ha. The hoax in the 1970s about running out of fuel has been proven to be just that! Thank you for letting me state my opinion & knowledge here. It is still my freedom to do so for now. Not sure how long we will have this freedom.

• Patrick Casaday - Sandy City
    July 13, 2009 10:43 a.m.

I was serving an LDS mission in Mexico. We had heard reports during the week that the American astronauts were about to take that "one giant leap" for mankind. That evening, our landlord invited us to his house to watch as Neil Armstrong, followed by Edwin Aldrin, stepped off the ladder and made history. Certainly an event I will never forget.

• Bear Rug
    July 13, 2009 10:39 a.m.

I was 12 years old. My nose was about 2" from the TV screen the entire time. I had watched John Glenn, through to Apollo 11. I was the ultimate space nerd.
    To all of those naysayers of naybob, Gene Cernan was asked, once, if he had really walked on the moon, or if it was a studio set up. His response was that he was one of 12 people, that walked on the moon. And then asked, with 12 witnesses, why would you need anymore proof?

• CJ3
    July 13, 2009 10:18 a.m.

Concerning the Van Allen radiation belt, it is stronger closest to Earth (there are two belts), as well, so a comment that manned spacecraft can't go farther than low-earth orbit makes little sense. That's where the biggest danger lies.

• sunnyboy_esquire, Sweden
    July 13, 2009 9:35 a.m.

I was in the army, in Sweden. We found a small restaurant, where we had the possibility to watch the moon-landing on the television. The company-officers were just as interested as the rest of us were. In Sweden, we had a very strong left wing support going, but even those who were left wing supporters were cheering when the pictures of Niel Armstrong came up on the television.

• al
    July 13, 2009 8:25 a.m.

My parents purchased a television so that we could watch it!

• For justicesword @ 5:17
    July 13, 2009 12:50 a.m.

Hey "justicesword", concerning your no lunar landing comment above, here's your sign.

If you have to ask "what sign", I rest my case.

Dan Maloy
    Enid, OK

• To justicesword
    July 13, 2009 12:14 a.m.

The Van Allen belt is made of charged particles from solar wind that get trapped in the Earth’s magnetic atmosphere. It is strong over the equator and weak over the poles.

Spacecraft are well shielded against these particles.

• Mark
    July 12, 2009 7:11 p.m.

I was 14 years old and at my cousin's home in North Philadelphia. We were gathered around the TV. As we watched Armstrong step down on the moon my uncle said, "How about that. Can you believe that?" Then we went outside to look up at the moon to see if we could see the men walking up there. (We couldn't)

• justicesword
    July 12, 2009 5:17 p.m.

It was the year I graduated from high school and must say that I believed that NASA had indeed landed men on the moon. After doing some personal research, I now know that no mortal being can escape the bounds of the Van Allen radiation belt without being fried to death. All space flight for man has been and always will be limited to low earth orbit, which is where Armstrong's capsule was while NASA's theatrical production team broadcast the "moon landing". NASA is directly owned and controlled by the Federal Reserve, a private banking corporation making profits at the expense of the American taxpayers. All of this makes sense if you understand that charging bogus war and space race programs to the credit of the american taxpayers feathers the nest of the international banking cartel/federal reserve bank. Wake up Des news readers to the reality of the deception of the acedemic/ news media control over your minds.
    These institutions are also controlled by the above interlocking corporate force that will soon have the USA under it's total control as all bailouts are also being charged to the taxpayers. Enjoy your ignorance is bliss mentality.

• Miguel
    July 12, 2009 5:11 p.m.

I was ten years younger. I was born in 1979, so I don't remember much. ; )

• Sally
    July 12, 2009 3:20 p.m.

I remember being being with my family on July 20, 1969. I was having my 6th birthday! My great grandmother was there, and as we all watched this on TV together, I remember my Great Grandmother saying with a tear in her eye that she never thought she would see a man walk on the moon in her lifetime. She was born in the late 1800's and had seen many amazing things come to be during her lifetime.....but this, by far, was the most amazing thing she had ever seen! I will never forget this day....celebrating my birthday and celebrating man's walk on the moon, together!

• Thane
    July 12, 2009 11:59 a.m.

It was my 2nd birthday!!!

• R Jensen
    July 12, 2009 11:41 a.m.

I was 19 and in the US Marine Corps. I had been in Vietnam for about 3 weeks. I knew the lunar landing was planned and tried to get information, which mainly came from Armed Forces Vietnam radio. I remember the night of the landing ... watching the flares and tracers from the gunships with the moon in the background. My thoughts were focused on the great irony: "How strange, to have a man walking on the moon while we are here trying to destroy one another".

• Priscilla Hanlon
    July 12, 2009 11:34 a.m.

I remember my dad saying to a friend that we had to hurry to get home after church so we could watch the moonlanding on TV, which we did. In school we had drawn pictures and tried to imagine what it would be like on the moon. That was before. Now we knew.

• Mark
    July 12, 2009 8:14 a.m.

I wasn't alive back then, but I saw an excellent documentary with all the astronauts that went on it. I'm convinced -- it definitely was real and not filmed in Hollywood. If anyone wants to see a good show, rent "In the Shadow of the Moon" directed by Ron Howard. I recommend it.

• DIANA
    July 11, 2009 9:18 a.m.

My parents woke us up from sleep. It was so exciting. I was a senior in high school at the time. It was surreal. I remembering looking up at the moon for several nights after thinking....WOW It's so far away!

• For Chris
    July 10, 2009 9:27 p.m.

Chris -

Moon rock samples and personal testimonyies/witnesses aside, do you have ANY idea how hard it would be to keep something like that a secret????

You've watched "Capricorn One" a few too many times.

People talk. Sure, not everyone would talk but surely after 40 years SOMEBODY in the know would talk.

It hasn't happened. Not even once. Rather, those who should be in the know, astronauts, scientists and engineers by the thousands, all claim the same thing: we went to the moon.

• CJ3
    July 10, 2009 7:24 p.m.

I personally know a couple of the fellows that worked on Viking and the Apollo missions. They are gettin' up there, if you know what I mean, and Fred never hesitates to remind you, "We put a man on the moon, ya know."

Emery? Well, he's still sharp as a tack!

Don't believe that bologna propoganda that we never landed on the moon.

• To Chris
    July 10, 2009 6:34 p.m.

The astronauts brought back moon rocks much older than Earth rocks, and of different compositions, including a new mineral, armalcolite, named for the three astronauts on the Apollo 11 mission: Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins.

So yes, men have walked on the moon and safely returned. It does seem miraculous, I know, but don't underestimate human inventiveness.

But then, you was probly just funnin' us.

• For Chris, the misguided skeptic
    July 10, 2009 5:44 p.m.

"Chris | 2:18 p.m. July 10, 2009
    Sorry folks, but we didn't go to the moon in 1969, we couldn't go today and we won't be going anytime in the next 10 years, if ever. Set aside your lofty aspirations and emotions for just a few minutes and think about the sheer magnitude of the math problem. Nobody (not the US, not anyone) has the solution to the math problem that would land a man on the moon and return them safely to earth. I'm not discounting the sheer awesomeness of our space program. I know only a handful of people that stands more in awe of what we've accomplished as a nation that me. But the moon thing just ain't true. Somebody just wanted us to believe more than what was possible. Whatever. No harm done. We can move past this. I hope we do make it to the moon one day."

Sorry Chris, but you're just an idiot and I'm not afraid to tell you so.

Dan Maloy
    Enid, OK

• Chris
    July 10, 2009 2:18 p.m.

• Human choices
    July 10, 2009 1:08 p.m.

I guess because my head was filled with Star Trek and other science fiction of the time, I took the moon landing for granted. Of course we would land on the moon and soon go beyond that, was my attitude.

How sad that the cost of wars since then have prevented further manned space exploration.

• William R. Kiehn
    July 10, 2009 12:51 p.m.

I was about 3 years old, sitting in the living room watching a black and white zenith television, standing directly in front of the television set, it looked kind of phony to me, and was still contiplating if this was actually reality or just a setup or something. I still wonder If actually a man really landed on the moon, its hard to believe because the technology at that time was great, but not that great, anyway If we did make it on the moon, why hasn't a colony been built there by now and access for people to travel and vacation on the moon. Anyway, you can probably imagine a small child watching this event, and just wonder what was going through that childs mind at that time. My mother says I am crazy, how could I remember things like that when I was so young, I told here that my mind is mine, and you would be surprized what a small boy could remember. Personally, I remember almost everything from my first year and after, believe it or not.

• Anonymous
    July 10, 2009 10:52 a.m.

Did we have a man walk on the moon? I thought is was staged! Just like global warming, and Obama controlling everything, and we are either a socialist state or a fascist state. Someone, please tell me the truth! lol

• kevinb, salem OR
    July 10, 2009 10:06 a.m.

I remember sitting in my grandma's basement in Provo watching on the ol'd black and white TV. My uncle worked for the Jet Propulsion Labratory in Pasedena, and he sent us a press packet that included the astronauts' schedules, schematics of the command module and the LEM, and press releases about the mission. Even though I was very young, I remember vividly the chills that ran up my spine when I heard the words, "Tranqulity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

• barbara
    July 10, 2009 9:07 a.m.

Happy Birthday, Realist! You are now 115 years old. Or, did you just type your age wrong?????

• Realist?
    July 10, 2009 8:43 a.m.

I had just celebrated my 75th birthday, and was getting ready to run in a marathon!

• justin Credible
    July 10, 2009 7:19 a.m.

It was the summer after I graduated from high school, I was with some friends at lagoon when we heard the news. I was always interested with NASA moon shot program.

• Barbie45
    July 10, 2009 4:22 a.m.

I was 16 and driving in my car to run an errand for my mom. I remember pulling over and sitting in the car, just listening to what was happening. I rushed home and turned on the TV hoping to see the landing. I was awestruck and so proud of our accomplishment.

• regina
    July 9, 2009 11:30 p.m.

The Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC were deserted since everyone was home watching their TV. We watched it and for some reason we then had to go to a neighboring town to pick someone up. It was eerie to be the only ones on the road in such a heavily populated area where there were usually lots of people out and about no matter the time of day or night.

• Swimming
    July 9, 2009 11:26 p.m.

I recall hanging with a couple thousand buddies, saying, "Dude! Don't go into the light!"

I was born in '71.

• Armstrong's Real Quote
    July 9, 2009 10:43 p.m.

I agree with "Correction" at 10:17 a.m. Neil Armstrong insists that his first words were "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." And when you think about it, that quote makes great sense and is very appropriate for the occasion.

One other thing about the first moon landing that no one has mentioned: The Russians DID try to beat us to the moon. They launched an unmanned rocket to the moon a couple of days before Apollo 11 was launched. Their hope was that a robotic lander could collect some moon rocks/dust and return it to earth before Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins could do so. The thing crash-landed.

I remember news commentators at the time speculating (because no one really knew for sure what they were doing) that the Russians had sent their rocket to the moon as a possible "life raft" for the American astronauts in case their ship became disabled.

• ssmelden
    July 9, 2009 10:33 p.m.

I remember that in California everyone was sitting on their roofs watching their TV's and attempting to experience this marvel first hand. Hundreds of people all on their roofs looking at the moon, JFK was president and Walter our commentator, it was a warm summer and a full glowing amber moon. What childhood memories we had then. America the land of the free America the land of the brave, us baby boomers what a history we had to begin our life's. We could do anything and we have. God Bless America.

• John Clark
    July 9, 2009 10:24 p.m.

We were LDS missionaries walking past some country homes in Sweden when a woman waved us in, saying, "Hey, aren't you Americans? You have to see this!" We didn't know what she was talking about until we went in and saw a little after-the-fact coverage.

I was struck by how proud so many of the Swedes were of the accomplishment. (One of the astronauts was of Swedish descent--characterized in a Swedish newspaper as a modern day Viking.) Normally we Americans were scolded because of the current war in Vietnam and other political differences.

It was nice for the moment, but we couldn't convince her that we had more important things to talk about.

• william of san antonio
    July 9, 2009 5:55 p.m.

i was a news editor for a houston morning newspaper -- now deceased (thanks hearst & company) -- and i had the job that night (19-20 july) for design and responsibility of page one. wrote the main hed, too: 'neil, buzz walk moon'.

good days, those were. good days.

• Vic
    July 9, 2009 5:27 p.m.

I remember Walter Cronkite giving everyone instructions on how to set up their cameras so that they could take pictures of the screen of the TV and record the event for posterity. When Armstrong finally got out of the LM and made his "giant leap for Mankind," I remember how choked up Cronkite, the gizzled brodcast veteran who had covered WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, got at that moment. In a lot of ways it really was the climax of his career. He had pushed the space program more than anyone else except President Kennedy. About 14, I ran outside with my dad's binoculars and looked at the moon with it, and imagined seeing Armstrong and Aldrin up there. That day is one I will never forget, and I've been waiting 40 years for us to have the courage to return and go beyond.

• LMG
    July 9, 2009 3:34 p.m.

I was serving an LDS mission in Eastern Atlantic States. A rarity in those days as a sister mirssionary. After a day of contacting my compaion and I stayed up late to see the replay. What a wonderful day it had been and continued to be as we watched on our landladies TV. Our children knew what their Mom and Dad was doing that day. Tonight I will tell our grandsons.

• correction
    July 9, 2009 10:17 a.m.

The actual quote is: "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

You can't really hear the "a" before man, but Neil Armstrong always claimed he said it. And just a year or so ago, the folks at NASA have played it back, fine tuned it and you can hear the "a."

• never forget
    July 9, 2009 8:10 a.m.

I will carry that memory with me into the next life.

Age 20- had served 2 years in Vietnam and was 30,000 feet over the Pacific ocean headed back to the good old US of A.

Beautiful round eyed girls with blond hair were serving us coca colas-
    No alcohol allowed for military personnel,
    but the cigarette smoke bothered me.

The pilot came across the intercom and said "Bill Armstrong just stepped out of the moon." We all laughed. Then he said- " Sorry we air force pilots are really excited about this."
    then he said.
    "Neil Armstrong just made one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind." I thought what a great comment- later found out that Neil had said that.
    But I looked around and saw mean tough combat vets were laughing and crying.

I sat down and put a pillow over my face and cried like a baby.
    So happy to be alive but missed my friends that never got to enjoy the beauty of that moment.

Vietnam and a moon landing- Unbelievable.

• JP Atoa, Provo
    July 9, 2009 4:05 a.m.

I was screaming my head off as any 18 month old would somewhere over the Pacific on my first Pan Am flight back to the US with my mom. As the pilot was making the announcement of the moon landing, my screaming not only interrupted his great news, but throughly embarrassed my poor mom.

Thanks Mom.......for not beating the holy (you know what) out of me. And to all the passengers on the flight that had to bear with my vocal outbursts for 5 hours, at least I didn't have a poopy diaper.:)

• Tom Slack,Greenwood, IN
    July 9, 2009 1:05 a.m.

My father had been attending summer school at the University of Minnesota. I had flown student stand-by from Salt Lake so we could drive home together. I had never been further east than Evanston, Wyoming, so this was an adventure. We rode in his 1957 Volkswagen beetle and camped each night. On the night of the moon landing, we were at a campground near Joliet, Illinois. We opened the hood of the car and turned on the radio. It caused the sound to broadcast out to us. We were laying in our sleeping bags inside the tent. The doorway was open. The moonlight shined in on us. We were looking up at the moon as the radio broadcast Neil Armstrong's voice saying "There's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." My father passed away in 1991, but this memory will last forever.

• cnnhansen 10.33 p.m.Jul 8th 2009
    July 8, 2009 10:34 p.m.

It was truly an historic day for our nation and it was the birthday of our first child, a girl.
    I went into the MOUNTAIN VIEW HOSPITAL early that
    morning and was in labor a good part of the day and
    I had just delivered and was wheeled into the ward where all the other mother's were and came just in time to see Neil Armstrong take his first steps out of the space ship on to the moon. What a day!
    She will turn 40 July 20th, 2009 at 5:30 p.m.

• Mary G.
    July 8, 2009 9:45 p.m.

I was just 10 years old at the time but I remember watching it on tv with my family in awe. We watched all of the space launches and never stopped being amazed. The space program is what helped us make such great advances with computers & other things. My cousin is actually married to Neil Armstrong's cousin. I've never met Neil but I have met some of his extended family.

• Joy Sweet
    July 8, 2009 5:54 p.m.

I wasn't born, but I've heard stories about how my grandfather was involved with the mission. He designed the space robots that were put on the moon before man set foot on the moon and how he was the communication specialist. My father said he was nervous at one point because they lost contact with the shuttle. Its amazing hearing stories about obstacles that we had to go through in order to get to the moon.

• Anonymous
    July 8, 2009 1:48 p.m.

In 1969 I was 10 years old. My father, who was watching our old black and white tv, called us into the room and told us, "This is a moment you will never forget!" I never have. Our family slept outside in the backyard that night and I remember getting goosebumps looking at the moon and imagining that man could actually travel that far in space. The boundaries of our world changed that night for me. It was one of the most exciting memories of my childhood.

• Raymond
    July 8, 2009 1:29 p.m.

I dont remember which grade in elementary school I was in, but they had a tv set up in class as they launch the rocket for the moon. For days days we watched the tv till they landed on the moon, it seemed so far away but so close. It made us so proud that they were doing this, but so scare because it was the unknown. It made us all want to be like them, they were heres to all of us, and we tried not to take our eyes off what was happening. when they stepped on the moon it seemed like the world stopped for a second, and that anything was possible for anyone who had a dream. Now it seems like so long ago. What a great feeling we could have again, if we could be standing there one more time.

• Big Dave
    July 8, 2009 12:11 p.m.

I was 10 years old at the time. I remember the grainy black and white images with shadows of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin hoping around on the lunar surface. It was amazing! Years later I look at all that moon footage and I wonder what we gained from all of it other than great TV. We are now talking about going back to the moon and I have to think this is a HUGE waste of money. The moon (as we have learned) is a dead rock and nothing more. Yes we could put a base on the moon and monkey around doing research like we did with the shuttle missions but in the end we have spent billions and gained nothing. Not sure what value lunar missions have going forward.

• JJ - Florida
    July 8, 2009 11:54 a.m.

I sat with my family and watch on the black & white TV, with tubes humming, as those steps down the latter were taken and that first lunar footprint was made.

It was a time where our family gather together, where hope was a constant - optimism was the norm. We didn't have political naysayers at every turn. The Vietnam War was simple to us - something our President and government had decided was necessary, and we had confidence in their motives.

We also lived in a time and place where we saw the results of the space program, children were excited to learn science and math, new gadgets and plastics were showing up in the home (a result of the space program). It was not long before we had microwave ovens, Tupperware, or non-stick surfaces on pans.

People lived and planned for tomorrow, and lived by a President's words from earlier in the decade: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

• michael
    July 8, 2009 10:06 a.m.

I was on the beach at fishing bridge at yellowstone park with my future wife and did not even know that they had landed.

• First Sound Byte
    July 8, 2009 8:01 a.m.

I was 13 years old and, like most adolescents, becoming very aware of the world around me. Naturally I was fasinated by the space program and astronauts. But what stayed with me about that event was what Neil Armstrong said as he stepped out onto the moon, "One step for man, one giant leap for mankind." I thought it was brilliant!

That comment was played over and over and over again on the news. I wonder if it could be considered the first real sound byte of the modern age.

• Patrick Casaday
    July 8, 2009 7:51 a.m.

I was serving an LDS mission in Mexico. We had heard reports during the week that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were about to take that "one giant step." That evening, our landlord invited us to his room to watch as Armstrong stepped off the ladder and made history. Certainly an event I will never forget.

• KathyBeeBee
    July 8, 2009 6:36 a.m.

It was my 17th birthday, and my sweetheart called me from his base in South VietNam. It was mid-day where I was but night in VietNam. He told to look up at the moon that night, that Americans were walking around there. We'd done it! We'd achieved President Kennedy's challenge! My Marine's birthday was Nov 22, now my birthday was historic.

• jamhc47, draper
    July 8, 2009 6:31 a.m.

I was working in the traffic department at KSL TV. They kept changing the moon walk schedule by minutes and then I'd have to walk to the studio from my house to rewrite everything. I kept thinking that it wouldn't happen. I was at the studio when it did and it was an amazing thing to watch. Surreal at the time. Now it's almost commonplace to think of men in space.

• Sammy Davis
    July 8, 2009 4:51 a.m.

Afterward I walked outside to see the moon. I don't remember if I did, but it was a surreal time. To think men were actually walking on it's surface. We may of peaked that year. We have come so far, but we still have the same problems we faced back then. Some circumstances are changed, but mankind hasn't.

• Alan
    July 8, 2009 1:41 a.m.

I was 7 and watched it with my mother on our black and white TV.

• daveday
    July 7, 2009 11:09 p.m.

As I watched the moon landing, I immediately called my father who was born the same year as the first heavier than air flight by the Wright Bros. I reflected on how far technology had gone in the 65+ years. Of course, I am typing this on a laptop that has more computing power that the entire landing program. What will my son see?

• chuckles55
    July 7, 2009 8:08 p.m.

I misquoted. Should have been "One small step for man, one giant step for mankind".

• chuckles55
    July 7, 2009 8:06 p.m.

Betsy and I had been married for a little over a month and were living in an apartment in Salt Lake City. We sat together and watched as Neil Armstrong hopped down the rungs of the ladder and proclaimed his famous "one small step for man, one large step for mankind". After Russia had beat us with Sputnik, I was very proud that we got to the moon before they did. Too bad we didn't have VCR's or DVR's back then. It would be fun to have the original action as we viewed it back then.
    Chuck Lambert, Pleasant Grove.

• Margie Morton
    July 7, 2009 4:30 p.m.

I was feeding my second son who was born May 29th, 1969 and was NOT sleeping all night. It's a memory of special times now that he is 40.

• jsy
    July 7, 2009 2:40 p.m.

I remember being at my grandparents house in Spanish Fork I was 7 and their TV was not working so we went 'down the lane' to the neighbors house to watch the events unfold and I still remember the words and the images and remember being very proud and my parents saying remember this day and here you were someday someone will ask you where you were when historic events happened they talked about pearl harbor, VJ day and the Kennedy killings .

• Ken
    July 7, 2009 11:23 a.m.

It was wet, cold and slimy and I had a bunch of people staring at me so I started to cry... No seriously... I was born on this exact day. My mom wanted to name me Neil, my dad wanted Buzz... So they named me Ken. Go figure...

Thanks to all who wrote their memories above. I love hearing about and reading about the events of July 20th, 1969 as well as all the Apollo missions.

• Bob Riding, San Diego
    July 7, 2009 11:05 a.m.

I was a young Marine officer and was in a hospital bed and attached to an IV in the Navy hospital, DaNang, Vietnam and watched the entire thing on TV!! It was so surreal to be in a foreign country, in the middle of a war, and have the opportunity to see this extraordinary event because I happened to be hospitalized at the time. I'll always be grateful for the infection in my leg (that healed rapidly) that got me medivaced out of the bush and back to more secure surroundings to witness the moon landing.

• Charmayne
    July 7, 2009 10:54 a.m.

I was lounging in a park in Baker, Oregon with my hippie friends, (one of whom was a disc jockey and actually paid attention to the news)listening to the account on a small radio. I remember looking up at the sky and being amazed that all that activity was going on up there.

• Snowman50
    July 7, 2009 10:27 a.m.

If we hurried home from Church we would be able to see it. We got home just in time. It was breathtaking. My family of 9 all huddled around the TV, no one speaking, just watching in awe and wonderment. That night we went out and looked at the moon and we were dumstruck by the fact that men were on the moon, maybe even looking down at us.

• Gordon, Murray
    July 7, 2009 9:32 a.m.

I was serving my mission in Matsuyama, Japan at the time, and being a dyed-in-the-wool "space-freak", I was disappointed to not be able to see the film until much later. I was able to listen to the radio broadcast and remember the feeling of awe and pride that we were able to accomplish such a feat. I've never been able to look at the moon since without that same sense of awe, knowing that man has walked there.

• David E. Kamerath
    July 7, 2009 9:23 a.m.

Moon Landing, 1969

July 20th, 1969 was hot and miserable in the rice paddies and murky canals along the Mekong River in Dinh Tuong Province, South Vietnam. I was on a combat mission with an infantry security force consisting mostly of Vietnamese Regional Forces. I halted the patrol long enough to press a small Sony battery powered radio to my ear and listened to the first lunar landing. I was so very proud at that moment and I wondered at the beauty of such an accomplishment. For me, that was an exciting and an encouraging event. In the midst of the heat and misery of a combat patrol, I was hearing one of the most significant events to date in modern history. I was so very proud then, as I am now of the privilege it is to be an American citizen.
    NOTE: The attached photograph was taken at about the same time and place, but was probably not the same day as the lunar landing. (Photo could not be attached).

David E. Kamerath
    Salt Lake City, UT
    (cell: 801-971-1363)

• Jan, Fort Worth
    July 7, 2009 8:50 a.m.

I was 17. My parents refused to have a T.V. in the house so my boyfriend's parents invited us over to watch the moonlanding. We sat in the dark living room watching, watching silently. The irony was that my father worked for Vought Corp. building rockets that put satellites into orbit. Space, rocketry , science and science fiction was an unquestioned part of my life. I knew we would have moon colonies, and visit the outer planets. My father's generation of visionaries is passing away; the visions have changed; the world has grown smaller. I used to believe humanity would colonize the stars before we destroyed our homeworld. Now I am not so sure.

• Angela
    July 7, 2009 8:30 a.m.

I was 9, and we were celebrating my oldest brother's 18th birthday. We all sat around that old black and white TV. No one talked, we just stared. Our family had just returned from spending three years in Japan, so we had been completely out of the loop with world events (it was still a third-world country then and we received very little outside news). We were used to not knowing about what was happening, but putting men on the moon was more astonishing than anything we could imagine. I'll never forget my father's tears. He had fought in World War II, had grown up in poverty in the depression, and now was feeling such tremendous pride in our country. It was an awesome day. He wanted us all to remember it, so he took a few moments and expressed his love and gratitude for living in this country.

• Joyce
    July 7, 2009 6:56 a.m.

I was at my parents house, watching the landing. When it was over my Mother said, " I watched the first airplanes fly and now I am watching Man walking on the moon". I thought to myself she had seen alot of change in her life time. We starting talking about it. I still wonder if I would be able to make and see that many changes in my life time and still move forward with hope.

• Carol, Fort Worth, TX
    July 7, 2009 6:56 a.m.

We lived in El Paso, TX. Dad was cooking on the grill and he brought the T.V. outside. We were playing and having a good time. Dad called us over to watch. I will always remember how "cool" it was to see him step on the moon surface.

• Better space & better education
    July 7, 2009 6:37 a.m.

Its amazing to me that human beings could put together a project such as that, it was an inspiration.

However now that we have "been there done that" the inspirational value of manned space flight is mostly passed, who is inspired by manned flight cross country or across the ocean anymore?

Given this it would be preferable to spend our space money on projects that will bring more return. Greater telescopes than the hubble or its replacement, robots that will virtually take us places cheaper and safer than sending a man there. We can get all the benefit without the expense and the risk by sending robots.

The money we save would be better spent on math and science education, which in the United States is substandard and at lower levels than in comparable countries in the rest of the world. We used to have top notch math and science education, but it has gone downhill over the past few decades.

• wer
    July 7, 2009 12:14 a.m.

I was working in Jackson Hole, WY where TV signals were difficult to receive. IN the national park, several of us sat around a B/W TV set barely able to see the images from space.

It was amazing that this enormous feat could be accomplished in space when we had a challenge just to watch it.

• Cil Kenyon (Davis)
    July 6, 2009 11:56 p.m.

I had just graduated from college. I remember being with my family at home laying on the floor in front of the TV. As I was watching, I saw a shadow as the flag was being placed and I gasped out loud thinking someone else was there too. My father laughed and laughed !!!! It was like it was only a couple of years ago.

• Linda, Oregon
    July 6, 2009 8:04 p.m.

I was 8 years old and our parents let us 7 kids stay up late and watch the old Zenith black and white in our basement. I remember being bored at how long it took Neil Armstrong to climb down the ladder. Then my Dad said we could all have root beer because it was a great day to celebrate. I was happier about the root beer than the moon landing.

• Dar vZijl
    July 6, 2009 7:28 p.m.

T'was my baby daughters 12 TH. Birthday, such a joyous day it was to celebrate 2 specials.
    Something she will never ever forget.
    TV Stations were awsome to watch the 1st man [Mr.Armstrong] walk on that moon and insert the USA Flag. Hooray.
    On July 20,2009, she will be celebrating 4 generation.
    Another luck day was that she was born on her fathers birthday. July 20.

• Ted Larsen,Pleasant Grove,UT
    July 6, 2009 5:46 p.m.

I had finished my Junior year in High School. My folks had a color TV, but when we went in to watch the landing, it was in black and white, and not too good quality.What to expect for a signal half million miles away or so. When they left the moon, we all went back to our daily routine. We had beaten the Russians to the Moon, but still had the war in VietNam to see on the news every night.

• Steve Corbett, Lubbock, TX
    July 6, 2009 4:46 p.m.

I was serving a mission for my church in Chalchuapa, El Salvador. It was actually two days later that I heard about it. I remember that many people in El Salvador thought it wasn't true; that the U.S. has staged it, like a Hollywood movie.

• Steven Krolak
    July 6, 2009 4:16 p.m.

We were on a family vacation and had just finished touring the Smithsonian in Washington, DC where we were surrounded by the past history of aviation. A huge screen had been set up for all to watch history being made. I remember thinking my world will be very different from the world my parents grew up in. In many ways it is, yet in many other ways it's all the same.

I had high hopes that my children would grow up in an age where we would be past much of the pettiness we’re still hung up over. The moon landing was to have been a stepping stone into the future. I feel saddened that thus far it is only a footnote about our past accomplishments. It reminds me that we need more.

The side benefits that came to us from our quest for the moon are staggering, yet they were never the original intention, only the side-product. I think we need a new quest of this scale again now!

Without a significant challenge to improve and reach beyond our current status quo I fear that we as a society will atrophy and pass away.

• Sharon Marcyes
    July 6, 2009 3:54 p.m.

We had just gotten married in Elko and were on our way home to Utah when the radio began the final minutes before the moon landing. We stopped at the first motel we saw and ran in and asked if we could watch it on TV in one of the rooms. The motel manager invited us right into their living room to watch it with him and his family. What a memory and the anniversary date is easy to remember!

• Ron Richey
    July 6, 2009 3:12 p.m.

I was seven years old, and I remember sitting around the dinner table after watching the historic event. My dad simply said, "Well, I guess we're now knocking on God's back door."

Ron Richey
    Mapleton

• Bruce Worthen
    July 6, 2009 1:55 p.m.

I had intense interest in the space program from the time I was a little boy. I listened to the moon landing (the video wasn't shown live) and was a little disappointed that the first words from the moon were simply "The Eagle has landed". When Armstrong stepped out onto the moon's surface a few hours later and said "That's one small step for (a) man - one giant leap for mankind" it seemed to match the moment. I haven't seen anything since that has generated such wonder and excitement. It was like being present for the discovery of the New World. I went on to work for NASA for a short time and was working there when the final moon landing took place. Maybe one day we will recapture that spirit.

Bruce Worthen
    Salt Lake City

• John in West Jordan
    July 6, 2009 1:18 p.m.

I had just turned 13 and I remember watching our small black and white TV with trememdous interest for I felt this was a momentous historical event. I played with the rabbit ears several times to try and clear up the "snow" in the background and see Neil Armstrong better. I was only 18" from the screen trying to make out every detail. I was elated as the puff of dust kicked up upon the astronauts steps. It was hard to sleep that night as I pictured myself doing the same thing. I wanted to walk on the moon too! As a new teenager, I pictured a city on the moon and being able to travel there as a tourist 20 years out. It's sad to think that only 12 men ever did walk on the moon over these 40 years.

• Bobbi Deere, Alpine Utah
    July 6, 2009 12:11 p.m.

I lived in Mississippi in 1969, and remember July 20 only because Mom made my big sister and I come in from playing to watch this "historic moment".

We sat in the living room around the black and white tv console and whined about having to stop our game, only to watch some men in weird white suits walk on the moon. So unfair!

After a quick lecture with statements like "your kids will read about this in history books" and "you'll remember this all your life", we were finally allowed to go outside and play again. Sheesh! That took forever!

At age 5 I was unimpressed, but at age 45 I am so grateful that Mom made us come in to witness that great day in our nation's history.

• Desert Rat
    July 6, 2009 11:21 a.m.

I was 16, and the proud new holder of a drivers license. It was a hot summer night and I passed up a date with a cute girl in order to sit in front of our black and white television, the one that had to be whacked periodically to stop the picture from flipping, and enjoy coverage of that great moment in history.

• TucsonUte
    July 6, 2009 10:22 a.m.

I remember my mother getting my siblings and myself out of bed to allow us watch it on TV. Because I was only 4 1/2 yrs old at time I didn't realize what a big deal it was for mankind (partly because of my age and also because I thought that people had always been traveling to the moon). But it is one of my earliest childhood memories.

• Mike Walters Los Alamos NM
    July 6, 2009 10:09 a.m.

I had received my draft notice a few days earlier. Some friends and I went water skiing. We returned to one of the girls homes where we watched the grainy black and white television coverage. I remember thinking what a great achievement this was.

• Loodie
    July 6, 2009 9:21 a.m.

My father worked for NASA at that time so anything and everything to do with space was a big deal to our family. We watched everything from beginning to end. He used to bring home mockups of the capsules for us to play in. We were all glued to our TV for the moon landing. Yes, my dad was a rocket scientist!

• Joe
    July 6, 2009 9:11 a.m.

I was living in London at the time of the first moon landing. Where ever I went for the next few weeks, people would convey their congratulations to America for this accomplishment to me. I realized this was something big, as the English rarely had anything good to say about America during this "Vietnam Era" of our history. They were particularly tickled that we had beat the Russians there first.

• DJWelker SLC< UT
    July 6, 2009 8:59 a.m.

Summer Music Theater-SIU-Carbondale,IL-The Unsinkable Molly Brown

The performance was interrupted- black and white TVs were rolled on to the stage.
    Performers and audience watched one of the greatest moments of our lives.

• L
    July 6, 2009 7:58 a.m.

Yes, I remember ! We lived in Ohio and we had just sanded and refinished our hardwood floors. Everything had been moved to the basement & in that crowded space of stacked boxes & furniture, we sat on the edge of the bed and that event became part of our history as well.

• Jeff Anderson
    July 6, 2009 7:44 a.m.

Astronauts and anything to do with space was my childhood obsession. When JFK said we were actually going to the moon I believed him. As the Apollo program prepared to land the first man on the moon, I was determined to enjoy every part of it. I soaked up stories and photos from Life Magazine and even built my own Apollo model. As each Apollo mission came closer and closer to the actual landing it only magnified the excitement and anticipation. So where was I when Apollo 11 landed on the moon? I was at Scout Camp. There was no TV and I was going to miss seeing the greatest achievement in the history of mankind. I was not a happy camper until someone hooked up a radio around the outside mess area. About 100 scouts and leaders gathered around to listen to history being made. I remember listening to Walter Cronkite and mission specialists describe each and every detail as it happened. When I heard Neil Armstrong say his immortal words upon stepping on the moon, it could not have been any more exciting or real to me if I had seen it on TV that day.

• A Rexburg Summer
    July 6, 2009 7:39 a.m.

I was nineteen and living in the dorms at Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho while learing the Norwegian language in preparation for a mission to Norway. There were other young men and women there learning Danish, Swedish, Dutch, Finnish as well as Norwegian. On July 20th we received permission to watch the televised moon landing and subsequent moon walk. I had a Polaroid Camera with black and white instant film that captured two great photos as Niel Armstrong stepped out of the lunar lander onto the surface of the moon. Happy to send them to you if you are interested.

• anonymous
    July 6, 2009 7:22 a.m.

I was 13 and on my way home from a camping trip in McCall, Idaho. Our group listened to it on the car radio and I remember Neil Armstrongs famous statement as if it were yesterday. I couldn't wait to get home and watch it on television.

• Inspired
    July 6, 2009 2:21 a.m.

I was 10, I watched the whole Apollo 11 mission incessantly and was inspired to study and aim high. Kids back then wanted to be astronauts. It was an event that united the whole world because we saw pictures of people watching TV's in various countries around the world. It was a rare moment in human history where we all watched and hoped for the same thing.

I have to disagree with "Anonymous" because the moon landing was a rare positive event with all the turmoil of the assassinations in '68, Vietnam War, Cold War, etc., it was not an idyllic time for our country. Look up ITT from the period and you will see an example of rampant corporate greed.

I think that is precisely why we enjoyed the moment so much - it came in the midst of a lot of crises.

• Scott S. Heiner
    July 6, 2009 12:48 a.m.

I was 17 years old attending the 1969 National Scout Jamboree near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, walking with a couple of other boys from our troop down a wide lane with exciting exhibits on either side. Suddenly we noticed up ahead a big crowd of people straining to see something. We hurried over to find everyone watching a large TV, and Neil Armstrong was just climbing down the stairs of the Lunar Lander. We watched in awe as he took his first historic step. We were really lucky to be there at the exact right time and returned to our camp to brag about what we had just witnessed.

At the end of the Jamboree at a campfire program attended by some 20,000 Scouts, we heard a greeting from Eagle Scout Neil Armstrong beamed down live to us from the moon.

It was an event I'll never forget: both the Moon landing and the Jamboree.

• mom bouch
    July 6, 2009 12:15 a.m.

je m'en souviens car j'avais dix ans et je revois dans ma mmoire que cette journe la j'tais devant le tlviseur,je voyais une personne descendre du lem et les images etaient floues.aujourd'hui il y a un seul nom qui est dans mon cerveau c,est neil armstrong le premier homme qui a foul le sol lunaire. Enter comment Entrez un commentaire

• Almost a tot
    July 5, 2009 11:16 p.m.

I was age 4 1/2 in July 1969. One of my earliest memories is of my parents sitting me down in front of the black and white television and telling me to watch men landing on the moon.

I remember them emphasizing for me to remember this day because it was such a historic event: the first time that any human being had stepped onto another world besides our own.

I also recall over the next few years as more Apollo missions returned to the moon in the early 1970s. There was NOTHING America could not do, and there was no one else in the world that could do the things that America was doing.

Oh how times have changed. America is in decline, we are no longer the envy of the world, and the N. Koreans are firing ballistic missiles on our Independence Day, flaunting the fact that we cannot stop them from ignoring our warnings.

India and China are mocking our economy, and own more of America than America does. There are still some things that are great about America but the gap has narrowed - soon we won't be the only superpower.

• Anonymous
    July 5, 2009 9:14 p.m.

I remember this time as the Zenith of American Culture. My father, with one job, could raise his family comfortably. This was when America over came challenges and didn't while: it will never work. We believed in the values of science and technologies. We valued fairness, intellectualism, education and tried to become elite at what ever we tried.

American business once cared about America. This was before greed and the god almighty profit outsourced American jobs, justified by bottom lines. American had pensions, health care and they were valued as employees.

Communities were like villages were people felt they had ownership in a common future.

Stores were an extension of the village and e coli was unheard of, as was streets full of homeless or people hawking their lives on corners trying to survive.

• award winning film
    July 5, 2009 8:41 p.m.

I was told at the tender age of ten that the moon landing was filmed in Hollywood.

• Steve Staker - Provo
    July 5, 2009 8:34 p.m.

We sat around our old black and white television and watched the whole thing. I had just celebrated my twelveth birthday and my burning question for my parents was: "Okay, now when are we going to go to Mars?" I never thought that forty years would come and go with no visit to another planet.

• sewcrazy61
    July 5, 2009 8:33 p.m.

I was being trying to sneek a peek at the TV coverage at my babysitters house. I could not understand why we had to go to bed, when something so exciting was happing to all of us. But I do remember via the snow filled TV set the landing just like it was yesterday even though I was only able to view it thru a crack in a door.

• Frank Randall
    July 5, 2009 8:19 p.m.

I was on a trip with my family to Northern Idaho, where may oldest son was attending a huge scout jamboree. We listened to the moon landing on the car radio and were we ever excited. We were so proud of our country that day. Why has it been all those years since the last landing and we haven't gone back?