Sports

Rad and his Dad: Martinez takes care of dad, beats people up

Comments

• chris
    Jan. 21, 2010 8:13 p.m.

you are an inspiration to all.

• Ken
    Oct. 14, 2009 12:26 p.m.

This is a love story not only towards his father, but his grandmother. I was Rad's coach at Clarion and your story captures his heart & mind completely as an athlete and human being. He promised his grandma that he would return from Pennsylvania after he graduated. He stressed over getting his MBA finished in 18 months, knowing his grandmother needed his help. Shortly after he returned home, she became ill & passed. You watched the video, you see for yourself - what kind of man he is. I know the story & all I can say is Wow! Makes me want to be a better son & father. Unconditional love has nothing over Rad.
    Thank you for sharing this amazing example of love & compassion, you did a nice job with this story

• jason s
    July 14, 2009 3:19 a.m.

rad,

thanks for everything you have taught me and all the time you invest in me! you truly are a person i will always look up to. you deserve all the great things that im sure will come your way!

• Curt
    July 7, 2009 8:05 p.m.

Rad, Thank you! Your story is a great inspiration and shows what really matters in life. I wish you and your family all the blessing and success this world has to offer. Whatever path you choose in life will be blessed for your love and devotion to your father. I wish him all the best as well. Thank you Thank you, Thank you!

• some girl
    July 6, 2009 9:04 p.m.

i really see you as a good example of generous and kindness heart!!! u are the best! all my respect for you

• Todd
    July 6, 2009 3:26 p.m.

Rad - there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said above, but you are seriously the most humble, honorable and devoted son I have ever met. We worked together at RSL and it was clear then that you are an incredibly caring guy, but this article sheds a little more light on how committed you are to your family. It is rare to see someone choose to set aside their own aspirations or self promotion in such a completely selfless manner. God bless, pal.

• Love in a Can
    July 6, 2009 10:34 a.m.

Awesome... he is a great guy and an even better fighter... I wish him only the best... and i am glad to see that Deseret News is finally following MMA. I will have to see if there are any other articles out there.

• Tad
    July 6, 2009 9:07 a.m.

Wow. What a great story. It is awesome to read about an athlete that is not a thug. Rad is a great role model for young boys. Thank you for printing this article in the Deseret News. More Stories like this would be great.

• Stacey
    July 5, 2009 8:32 p.m.

MMA has many amazing individuals with stories of overcoming and this is the most touching I have heard. To those individuals who criticize the sport and the athletes involved, Rad is the most eloquent rebuttal of all. Thank you for being the person you are.

• Anonymous
    July 5, 2009 6:04 p.m.

As a fan of MMA I always find the lives of MMA participants interesting, but WOW & HOLY COW, what a story! The UFC would be lucky to have Rad as one of their participants and should offer him a contract sight unseen. At the very minimum at least give him a shot at the reality TV show.

Most importantly, you Rad are an example of everything good I can think of. Thanks to your beloved Grandmother for setting an example, and thank you for having the heart to follow that example. I don't know you Rad but you are already a CHAMP in my book and I will hold you up as an example for my children and grandchildren for many years to come.

God bless you and yours, Sincerely!

• Griffen
    July 5, 2009 5:51 p.m.

Rad- You are an inspiration to all! I am blessed to have the opportunity to know you! Thank you to the Deseret news for bringing the positive message to light that is your life. You cant truely measure the greatness of a man, but if you could, Rad would be a great measuring stick! Love you brother!

• More Rads in the world
    July 5, 2009 5:40 p.m.

There should be more people in the world like Rad. We need more compassion and service and Rad gives us all a huge example of unselfish, Christlike love. I'm sure your dad knows who you are and what you are doing. Bless your family.

• TKC
    July 5, 2009 4:06 p.m.

What an awesome story, thanks Deseret News and good luck Rad and dad!

• Adam
    July 5, 2009 3:45 p.m.

Man, that is really an amazing story. I hope I would be able to do the same for my dad. Rad is so much fun to watch compete. I was already a huge fan, now I can't think of a fighter I respect more. Amy, thanks for giving us this glimpse into his amazing personal life.

• great story
    July 5, 2009 3:32 p.m.

It was great to get to know Radly and his family thru this story. Rad's dedication, drive, determination, and accomplishments are truly inspiring.

• Wow
    July 5, 2009 2:41 p.m.

I was very inspired by his story. No bitterness or victimization, just love and service. I will try and follow his career and am now a fan. With heart like this his brother is right. He can beat anybody in the ring.

• ONE
    July 5, 2009 1:21 p.m.

There is not a father on this earth who could wish for and have a more devoted son.

May Heavenly Father bless you.

Thank you.

• Cole
    July 5, 2009 1:02 p.m.

What a great story. Truley inspirational. How do you not root for this guy in everything he does. Good luck in the future.

• I think...
    July 5, 2009 12:05 p.m.

the title could use some sense review. Instead of "beat people up", why not "Ultimate Fighter?"

An inspiring story indeed...

• Johnny
    July 5, 2009 11:20 a.m.

Rad- I will never forget the day I got to spend with you and your family, watching you take care of your father, doing all the things that a parent does for a child.....it was a real eye opener bro. It was amazing to see a person scarifice as much as you do to keep you family together. It was truley inspirational.

Some people think of MMA athletes as brutes and street thugs that are out to satisfy some sort of "blood lust", but you are a perfect example of what a true MMA athlete is made of...honor, respect, sacrifice and hard work. Rad it has been an absolute pleasure getting to know you and watch you grow as a pro athlete. You are truley are a man among men. Keep doing what you are doing and I promise your future is as bright as the sun!!!!

Johnny Riche
    Throwdown Elite

• Sam
    July 5, 2009 11:17 a.m.

The story is true. In my opinion, Rad is more notable for his character and ethic. He's a true friend that comes forward for everyone in his life. Regardless of his own challenges, he will always put himself last. Both he and Levi touch the lives of many people that admire them.

When it's time to wrap up the hands, his character remains unchanged. Then he steps into the cage, challenges himself for something more, and does his job. While an inspiration in the MMA world, what the story doesn't mention a lot about how Rad and Levi were successful Graduates, and post-Graduates in college. With a life as difficult as they had, they went far beyond what many people in the same circumstances cannot achieve. Today, with his merit, Rad could be applying those degrees, but he takes care of his Dad instead. He does this by choice. In everything he does, I don't think anyone can question the size of his heart.

• Jason M.
    July 5, 2009 11:04 a.m.

Rad, You are a great man! I coach because I get to train guys like you. Keep up the good work.

• Cindie
    July 5, 2009 10:58 a.m.

It does my heart good to read a story like yours. Take heart in knowing your father does know you, appreciate you and loves you very much. I wish luck in your career and the very best for you and your family. I would be proud to have a son like you. I'm sure your grandmother smiles upon you every day. It is so hard to be a caregiver. Today's youth could learn from your story. Your loyalty, love & compassion for your father brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing your life with us.

• Heather
    July 5, 2009 10:16 a.m.

Rad, I am so proud of you. You amaze me every single day. I can only hope to become, as Mills in Tacoma said, a "female version of you and the kind of woman you deserve". I love you.

• Mills in Tacoma
    July 5, 2009 5:34 a.m.

WOW! A real man’s man! I didn’t think they existed anymore! Gentle and caring; brave and tough! What a fantastic husband and father he will make someday! All he needs is the female version of him! I hope she exists. He deserves her….wherever she is!

• Mike B.
    July 5, 2009 4:14 a.m.

Rad, I salute you. You are honoring your father and caring for him as he cared for you. Personally you are a hero to me. A great example of charity, love unfeigned, and respect. Too many people take the easy way out and put their family members in a home. Your father may not be able to tell you but he knows you, loves you and is very proud of you. Good luck in MMA and the rest of your personal life. May your father never suffer, may you realize all your dreams and may he be there to share it all with you. May God Bless and keep you and yours.

• zippy
    July 5, 2009 12:36 a.m.

What a story all i can say RAAAD ON May God sees your good deed and bless more of you. Hey I am in west jordan may be i can help sit with your dad sometimes. I can feel your story and will look you up and seriously my wife and I can help you out sometime to give a relief so you can date and do other things. Anyway god bless you both I think your dad knows that just can't respond to it. Love you guys thanks for sharing your story of inpiration.