Dining out: In-N-Out Burger

Comments

Oct. 13, 2009 9:48 p.m.

Does anyone know what month the In-n-Out in Draper is opening?

• INO Burger - Orem
    Sept. 3, 2009 12:08 p.m.

The sign is up on the construction site, sw corner of University Parkway and State Street in Orem!

Now, all Happy Valley needs is a Chipotle Mexican Grill location, and you can close the freeways, no need to leave my cocoon :)

• Just An Observer
    Aug. 14, 2009 9:01 p.m.

Here it is August and nary a word on building an I-N-O on the Wasatch. Guess what? Winter's coming. Someone at Baldwin Park had better get clued in if they want to open in 2009. It ain't gonna happen for a LONG time it appears.

• Ron Ashley
    Aug. 9, 2009 3:35 p.m.

So...when are they coming to Northern Utah? Draper has been mentioned. I hope for some advance statement so I can get my tent ready and be first in line!

• Jenny C.
    July 14, 2009 3:58 a.m.

Great review! In-N-Out is fresh, cheap, tasty, and supports a living wage. Yes, the fries are different but that's because they aren't FROZEN like so many other fast food fries. Different, but still tasty and fresh tasting, IMO. Also, everyone should lighten up a bit on this board! LOL. East vs. west (everyone makes an oversight once in a while), St. George vs. Washington City (mmmm most people would consider Washington City in the St. George area, except perhaps those who live in Washington City, and would have no idea where Washington City was--thus probably the reason for choosing to say St. George instead--it's more simple). Finally, there doesn't have to be just ONE burger place. There are many great ones, so choose one based on your mood that day. For example, In-N-Out uses thousand island instead of ketchup and mustard. Sometimes I want this, sometimes I don't. But whatever you like, In-N-Out is high quality at a great price, if that's your thing.

June 13, 2009 9:44 a.m.

Yes Tommy's has the best Chili Burgers by far! I hope they come to Utah.

June 10, 2009 1:52 p.m.

Crown Burger is terrible their burgers as misshapen causing them to be burnt on the outside and raw in the center.

In-N-Out is by far the best burger place out there unless you really like chili-cheese then I would suggest Tommy's

Just can't beat the freshness and quality of In-N-Out and you can actually watch them cook your food so you know they didn't do anything bad to it... if you can name a better place then I will go and try it out right now. (Better place meaning preferable in Utah, although I have heard of a couple wannabe In-N-Out places somewhere around...)

• Dick Savage
    June 6, 2009 8:38 p.m.

I'm glad to see there are some people out there who don't like In-N-out. It will make it less crowed for those of us who love them and are excited about them coming to Utah. I was in California last week and stopped at In-N-Out along with a few other places. None of them compared to In-N-Out in quality, cleanliness and friendly employees. They are all busy when they first move into town and will be just as busy in 4 years. They must be doing something right.

• Eating out
    June 6, 2009 2:39 p.m.

Most people who go to a "burger joint are" not expecting the same quality as a "dine in" restraunt. I have never eaten at a burger place that I reccommend unequivocabily. I get a burger when I need to hurry and am on the go. If I want a real hamburger, I cook it myself at home. Fast food is designed primarily for the fast paced American lifestyle, not for the essence of the palate.

• @Anonymous
    June 6, 2009 2:34 p.m.

You apparently live in Cali? How do you know so much about Utah, let alone small burger joints?

June 6, 2009 2:18 p.m.

SHeesh. Hostile people.

June 4, 2009 4:28 p.m.

It is all about Crown Burger the best ever baby!

• kamaile
    June 4, 2009 4:07 p.m.

I am ecstatic that In-N-Out is coming to the Salt Lake valley. I am from CA and have been searching for something close to the quality they serve. I have tried 5 Guys and was pretty disappointed. I do have to agree on In-N-Out's fries though. Not a huge fan.

• K
    June 3, 2009 12:40 p.m.

Thank goodness we DON'T all like the same things!
    Hooray for individuality in all its forms.

• yankee
    June 2, 2009 8:22 a.m.

I am still going to try the place.

June 1, 2009 9:34 a.m.

If you want a truly great burger, continue driving past In-N-Out down Telegraph street towards Washington for a few blocks and go to The Burger Place; a Washington UT institution that's been serving up great burgers, shakes and fries for decades.

• Where are the editors?
    May 31, 2009 8:47 p.m.

"Pushing ever westward..." Can we buy the Des News a road atlas? If in & out came from in So Cal, pushing ever westward would put it somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, not St. George...er, Washington City.

May 31, 2009 8:09 a.m.

I "less than three" Five Guys any day.

• @ Everyone
    May 31, 2009 8:03 a.m.

lol

Five Guys all the way. They give tons of fries so we only make one order of those for up to four of us to share which helps on the price of eating there. The burgers are yummy. I hadn't eaten a fast-food burger in more than three years before being convinced to try Five Guys' version, other chains had become ever more disgusting.

I was considering trying an In-and-Out since I'd only eaten at one in California many moons ago and found it lacking. I had planned to give it a second chance simply because of the devotees' clamoring. Now that I see they aren't open on Sunday, I won't be going there. We only support businesses that cater to those who live 24/7 lives.

I'm beginning to think they're so popular among locals because they have a version of pink ooze, er, fry sauce.

May 30, 2009 7:15 p.m.

By the way... EZ Take-Out, Five Guys, Chadders, are all based on one other company's success: In-n-Out. Lots of imitations, but only one real INOB.

• Southern Utah Gal
    May 30, 2009 11:09 a.m.

The citizens of WASHINGTON CITY were so excited to have In-N-Out Burger come to WASHINGTON CITY. And we wonder why we shouldn't believe everyone we read in the papers and see on tv! HA!

• Ute Fan
    May 30, 2009 10:40 a.m.

I did go to the Five Guys yesterday for lunch. I could not find the darn place at first and my GPS told me it did not exist. SO, I called the place and a nice kid gave me very exact direction from the parking lot I was sitting in at the Tesoro gas station and I drove right to it.
    I really liked the fries, the order was a little large for one person and the burger was good. Anyhow, I think I will go back there again. Cracked me up to see the President eating at a Five Guys in the DC area. What I really liked were the red counters, red tile and the red shirts that the very friendly employees were wearing.

• Orem
    May 29, 2009 9:15 p.m.

Will be in the parking lot on State and University, next to Chevron and Mimi's... and i think there is a burlington coat factory there... thats where i heard its going! near the mall...

• Ute Fan
    May 29, 2009 9:08 a.m.

I think I will try that 5 Guys place, never heard of them before reading this articles comments. I prefer my own burgers cooked on the grill but on occasion will eat one from a fast food joint.

May 29, 2009 8:30 a.m.

LOL at all the naysayers.

When these places open they will be totally packed liked the rest of the in n out joints across the West.

I only wish I could buy stock in the company.

Anybody know where the Orem one is supposed to be?

• Why?
    May 29, 2009 4:10 a.m.

If the IAOB is located in Washington City, which it is, why does the writer refer to going to a "St George" eatery? Oh wait, it was because she was driving East from Utah to find California.

• Interesting
    May 28, 2009 11:56 p.m.

Their food is astonishing cheap? They pay the most of any fast food place. We have a California restaurant paying its employees more selling food at bargain prices. This would be like saying that Utah could increase the minimum wage and food prices wouldn't suffer.

"We start all our new Associates at a minimum of $10.00 an hour for one simple reason...you are important to us! And our commitment to a higher starting wage is just one of the ways in which we show it. Another way is through offering excellent benefits like flexible schedules to accommodate school and other activities, paid vacations, free meals, comprehensive training, and a 401k plan. For our full time Associates, we provide a benefits package that also includes medical, dental, vision, life and travel insurance coverage."

May 28, 2009 11:41 p.m.

Sounds like it is pushing eastward, not westward. (CA->UT is east) Try using a map sometime.

• "Not a fan"
    May 28, 2009 9:49 p.m.

The management hasn't changed. The President of the company has been president since Esther Snyder passed away a few years ago. The owner is her granddaughter.

Don't believe everything you read in LA Times :)

May 28, 2009 9:48 p.m.

i respect those who do not like In n Out, but I could honestly live off of it. I live out East now and it hurts to not have In N Out.

• Like it or not..
    May 28, 2009 9:47 p.m.

they are coming. In-n-Out has consistently been rated as one of the top fast-food restaurants in the country, and they are only in (barely) 4 states! The greatest chef in the country adores them, celebs love them (which carries no weight, might i add...), business gurus worship them, and their fan base is cult-like and wide-spread. Incomparable with any other company in the restaurant business. And for all the "soggy fry" comments, ask for your fries well done, that's what i do!

I think these people have just grown up on (and become used to) the junk that most fast-good is nowadays. Thank you In-n-Out for sticking to quality, hiring good people, and being the cleanest place to eat! (nice t-shirts, too..)

By the way, it's pretty obvious there is a five-guys employee on here... lol... they better be good burgers when a meal costs over $10.... like it or not, in-n-out is going to be insanely popular. You guys can just drive by, though, to your preferred greasy frozen heat-lamped junk food restaurant.

• In-N-Out
    May 28, 2009 9:26 p.m.

Is so much better than McD's, Wendy's, or others around here. About time they made it into the area!

• Not a fan
    May 28, 2009 9:23 p.m.

In-n-Out has probably the worst fries of any chain--and they are nothing like Belgian Frites, which are, as someone explained above, cooked twice. The burgers are okay but not that great. Also, a recent LA Times article pointed out that the management just changed, so who knows how constant things will change.

• Overrated
    May 28, 2009 9:17 p.m.

Add me to the In-N-Out is overrated crowd.

It sure beats Jack in the Box though. Jack in the Box is the WORST food chain in the known universe.

• Shrinking Meat
    May 28, 2009 9:03 p.m.

I enjoy INOB on occasion but I've noticed that the hamburger patties have gotten smaller over the 28 years I've been eating them.

• 2 cents
    May 28, 2009 8:44 p.m.

I moved from California, wanting the home town experience not the same thing, same food on every corner. Right after I get to St. George, In and Out arrives. Granted it's better than McDonalds but I don't understand the hopla.

• Geography
    May 28, 2009 8:38 p.m.

"pushing ever westward from its ancestral home"...

Funny, I thought California was west of Utah... Seems to me like it's pushing ever *EASTWARD*...

• Utah should remain unique
    May 28, 2009 8:30 p.m.

Why does this make people in Utah happy? This is just another step on the road to making Utah look exactly like CA. Come on, get some originality.

By the way, I'm born and raised in CA, and I still like living there. But I hate it when I drive around Utah cities and they look just like CA cities. (high volumes of traffic, everybody in a hurry, and the same national chain stores and restaurants) Thirty years ago, Utah was much different from CA, and it was an enjoyable place to visit.

• Sorry
    May 28, 2009 8:27 p.m.

My son works at an In and Out in suburan San Diego. While my family likes it, and most of the people we associate with like it, I would rather go to McD's, BK, Sonic, Carls or A&W before In and Out.

To each there own....

• bleh
    May 28, 2009 8:26 p.m.

in-and-out > Five Guys

• Instereo
    May 28, 2009 8:22 p.m.

I for one am excited In N Out is coming to Utah. I think the burgers are great, the fries are great, and the resturant is great.

Having read about their hiring practices, their quality control, their commitment to fresh local products and distribution, and the standards they set for their employees to not only get hired but to stay employeed and the fact that they pay them a much better wage then other fast food chains, I'd say I like the resturant even more and am glad they are becoming a part of the Utah economy.

No, I don't work for them. I just want to say that I like it when I see a good thing happening. As for all the negative comments, you're saying a lot more about yourselves then you are about In n Out Burger.

• Tom in South Carolina
    May 28, 2009 8:21 p.m.

Anonymous @ 7:44 pm is right on the money with 5 Guys. Best burger I've ever had (and messiest too!) The fries are great, being made from Idaho spuds (they tell you where the potatoes that day are from), and we chuckle when they're from Rexburg or right around there. I don't care if the fries are soggy - the flavor is great, and you know they are fresh!

May 28, 2009 8:15 p.m.

5 guys blows in-and-out out of the water. Just as fresh, much tastier, much better fries...although a bit pricey. For the money, just go to Wendy's...although I know I am speaking blasphemy...

May 28, 2009 7:57 p.m.

The fries are that way because they are made from fresh potatoes, not reconstitued potato powder. Plus, to get crispy fries, you have to cook them twice. Once at a lower temperature to cook them, and then at a higher temperature to flash fry them, which gives the crispiness.

May 28, 2009 7:44 p.m.

Sorry, not a fan of the burgers at all. Seriously. Give me 5 Guys any day....

The only thing worse in Cali is El Pollo Loco. Worst resteraunt ever...

• Comments right on
    May 28, 2009 7:41 p.m.

I lived In So Cal 20 years, and ate In-and-Out probably 5 times. I never got it.

"I recommend getting the onions, which add crunch and earthy bitterness to an already superlative burger."

Come-on, what kind of So Cal wannabe reporting is this? You get a crappy burger and soggy fries.

Catchy name though.

• Overrated
    May 28, 2009 7:37 p.m.

Fried Burgers cooked on a frying pan, sure ingredients are fresh, but the burgers are greasy. Lets not get started on the undercooked soggy fries. I have never eaten at an In N Out that has not had undercooked soggy fries

• Gus
    May 28, 2009 7:35 p.m.

I'm moving from so Cal back to Utah and glad that my Saturday night trips to IN-N-Out will continue. But yes, the fries aren't great.

• Old School to Elvis
    May 28, 2009 7:32 p.m.

To each his own my friend...

Fresh ingredients, cooked to order, no superfluous gunk like the mega-chains and believe it or not, not one item cooked in a microwave. BTW, make mine animal style!

• Dougway
    May 28, 2009 7:27 p.m.

That's all I need, is have them that close. It's bad enough to eat it on vacation!

• Elvis
    May 28, 2009 7:25 p.m.

I don't get the devotion to In-N-Out. Mediocre burgers and truly crappy fries.