Wash out: No-poo is no solution for many people

• roundbelly
    March 22, 2010 11:39 p.m.

I gave up shampoos when my pregnant nose couldn't deal with the smells (don't ask what smells, my pregnant nose smells the smallest things that no one else can seem to smell).

I brush my hair once a day and the results were amazing. My hair became manageable, shiny and my scalp no longer itched (like it did a day after every shampoo). I was sold on no shampoo. That was 2 years ago. I get lots of complements on my long, lustrous hair and I smile knowing that most of those people would never believe I did it all with just a hair brush :)

God did not invent shampoo.... neither did any early societies. Surely we are still human beings and can live without them as was done for thousands of years.

• To: Anonymous from Jon
    May 27, 2009 12:22 p.m.

Perhaps my comment is too diplomatic. Let me say the same things more bluntly, for the benefit of later readers who might try ditching shampoo.

You said: "you are the sameolesameole and there is not reason to comment."

Same-old-same-old IS the reason to comment. If YOU stop using shampoo, and wash with water instead (not to mention vinegar or whatever):
    Your hair will not stink
    Your hair will not be greasy
    Your scalp will be just as healthy
    Your head will not be gross
    You will not spend any money on shamditioner

Your comment implies that you think this is all untrue. But you have not tried it. So you just have an opinion, and I have some experience. This implies that you don't know what you are talking about.

For people with sensitive skin, let me try to sell you something: nothing. Many chemicals in shampoos are known irritants to some people at some concentrations. My scalp is slowly getting better with nothing but water, occasionally vinegar. It's taking as long to get better as it took to get bad. If you quit shampoo, the worst case is same-old-same-old.

• curlyQ
    May 26, 2009 12:03 p.m.

Actually, if you have naturally curly hair, you shouldn't use a regular shampoo on it. I haven't used shampoo in over a year, and my hair looks much, much healthier.

• zoneseek
    May 26, 2009 10:14 a.m.

Good grief.
    I think rubbing pinecones on your scalp sounds painful-but that doesn't mean Enviro Guy has shared his political views one way or another. What a weird comment-why are you taking a pinecone comment to blowing up factories? You must be a troll.

• Anonymous
    May 26, 2009 10:09 a.m.

SOOO....if you're not using shampoo and your wife doesn't notice...what are you using...water...good excuse to stay dirty, and to say people don't notice..means that you are the sameolesameole and there is not reason to comment.

Some people just seem to enjoy it..the smell...on themselves..greasy hair is always a turn on to ..well, I don't know who would be turned on..the varmints??

HOWEVER!! What ever floats your boat with your hair, do it...

If you have a scalp condition, a dermatologist would be a great help...

• to go green
    May 26, 2009 9:22 a.m.

your hair sounds well cared for and beautiful. have you considered donating some of it to Locks of Love or Wigs for Kids? If you have a ponytail that is 10 inches or longer, you can donate hair so a child who's lost theirs can look more like themselves.
    Locks of Love is the most well-known hairpiece charity. Most Locks of Love wigs go to kids with long-term hair loss. Children with conditions such as alopecia areata who will never grow their natural hair again are given first priority.

Wigs for Kids gives hairpieces to kids who suffer hair loss due to burns, chemotherapy, radiation treatments alopecia, and other medical problems. Families must demonstrate financial need in order to qualify for the program. Children who are accepted in the program are not charged for the wig that is created for them.

• Anonymous
    May 26, 2009 9:06 a.m.

Thanks for this interesting article.

• Pine Cones?!
    May 26, 2009 8:28 a.m.

Enviro Guy...

Rubbing pine cones in your hair?

Dude, if no one told you yet, you're an environmental extremist, and anything extreme isn't healthy.

You're also a flaming liberal, voted for Obama, despised George Bush, are on the verge of not believing in God any more, believe in Obama's "wealth redistribution" and believe gays have the "right" to marry. Please, tell us all how many of these I got wrong.

What's next? Blowing up shampoo factories because, hey, haven't you heard?, they're the scourge of the environment.

Isn't your unfounded fears over global warming enough to keep you guys busy?

• Just another..
    May 26, 2009 7:39 a.m.

Just another excuse for those who do not practice good hygiene to go about sharing their personal odors with others.

• Enviro Guy
    May 26, 2009 6:51 a.m.

I rub four pinecones through my hair before showering and it takes away the itching scalp. It really works and is good for the environment. The only problem is that the pinecones can become soft after the hair rub and you need to replace the pinecones every two or three rinses.

• Me Too
    May 26, 2009 4:02 a.m.

Yeah that egg thing works great!!! I thought I was the only one. I never use ANY CHEMICALS IN MY HAIR! Just eggs and artificial food flavoring for scent! That is kind of funny! But hey it works great doesn't it! WARNING: You have to keep it up for two weeks before you see the pay off!!!

• Go Green!
    May 25, 2009 9:24 p.m.

I use 3 eggs a day in my hair, it works great, and if you leave it in for 30 minutes twice a weak it is a great conditioner! It's the best stuff ever, I have been doing it since high school, over 17 years ago, my hair is down to the small of my back and blond. It's just great, I use artificial vanilla flavoring for scent, and it works great, people always ask me what I use in my hair, so I tell them it's done professionally and I don't know the "Stuff he uses". That is what I say anyway, I am always getting compliments! My hair has such a sheen, clean smell and soft it's rediculous! My daughter uses the same and it's great!

• Jon in Iowa
    May 25, 2009 9:02 p.m.

I have had very bad dandruff for years. (It is probably actually seborrheic dermatitis, which I would encourage those with dandruff to look up.) I tried many products to no avail. Some made my head itch more than others. Shampoos high in sodium laurETH sulfate were noticeably worse on my head.

I finally stopped using shampoo about nine months ago to see if that would help. I cannot say that all of my troubles are gone: I still often have dandruff and my head still itches periodically. But it is no worse than with the best of the shampoos. My wife doesn't notice my hair being any stinkier, and I don't notice it being any greasier. It's less greasy if anything. For me, at best shampoo did nothing and was a waste of money, at worst it aggravated my seborrheic dermatitis and made my scalp very itchy. We all have different skin, but I would guess that many people are like me and don't actually benefit from shampoo.

• mom from ogden
    May 25, 2009 8:41 p.m.

This is a very limited and negative look at the no-poo movement. There are many different methods and products that can be used as an alternative to shampoo.
    The article all but ignores many of the reasons many people choose to forgo shampoo. Not stripping the oils from your hair every day often means your scalp makes less, so you need to shampoo less. It also also keeps polluting shampoo out of our homes and our water supply. Shampoo is a very recent invention, and it isn't necessary.
    No-poo is a personal choice, but those considering it should investigate both sides, not the narrow view from this article.