Utah

Huntsman family money is now bipartisan

Family favored Demos over GOP in '08 races

Comments

• I COULD care less
    May 24, 2009 4:16 a.m.

RE re: "re: 10:43" | 9:35 a.m. May 22, 2009

I must question your intelligence too. You wrote I COULD care less

Oh, thats great! So youre saying you do care about your tiring use of parentheses. Wow.

I would have thought that by the tirade that followed that you could NOT care less

But, who am I to put words in the mouth of such an intelligent, articulate writer as yourself.

PS. I'm a literate gay liberal atheist capitalist (who can also write) and I LOVE Huntsman. Why? Because he's not a fearmonger like all of you ignorant straight conservative christain employees!

• re: "re: 10:43"
    May 22, 2009 9:35 a.m.

FYI - I could care less whether you are "tiring" of the "parentheses", but you have to admit they really do make a point -it got you bent out of shape!! (you probably will have a problem with exclamation points also!!)

Your problem (or at least one of them) is that you assume way to much"!!" And you hopefully know what assuming does? "FYI" nobody said I was from Utah, and nobody said the rest of my family was LDS also.

This just proves my point about yo-yo's (such as yourself) and those of your political association, you "assume" you know it all, when in reality, you only "assume" you know it all"!!" You may what to consider some of that "change" that is being thrown around. "Change" how you judge things you know nothing about, or "assume" you know everything about"!!" ("PERIOD", "PERIOD" and "PERIOD")

Thank you so much for only proving my point, and you try to judge somebody else's "level of intelligence". Maybe you should try to find your own level. Take some advice from someone who has "been around the block enough", you should look down toward the bottom of the barrel"!!"

• Good Night!
    May 21, 2009 7:45 p.m.

To: good afternoon

You are the type of person someone can use to measure job performance. If you are furious, then that person is most likely making the correct decision. Also, the shift key pressed while typing the first letter of a sentence turns the baby letter to a daddy letter. When you get that mastered google "spell check."

• good afternoon
    May 21, 2009 3:26 p.m.

i am both glad and angry to see huntsman go. glad because he turned out to be a liar and traitor to his beliefs, his party, and his constituents. angry because no one will probably know the real reason he got nominated. am i the only one who notices that the only way to get highly respecte in politics is to support homosexuality? let's not be naive people. we all know a stance such as his in favor of gay civil unions does not come overnight. he only didn't mention it sooner because he knew he would not win the election and because he wanted the nomination. did anyone really ever consider him to run for president before he went against the utah constitution which he had sworn to uphold? the reaosn i don't trust him is because he has always lied about being a conservative and against gay marriage, or because he supported to advance his political career. either one is unacceptable. even if you are in favor of gay marriage, you cannot support someon as openly dishonest as this guy.

• Jeff
    May 21, 2009 9:22 a.m.

I'll fight for cancer. Can I get a little money, Mr. Huntsman. I'll use the money to buy healthy food, I'll use it to stop smoking, I'll use it to buy a new, more environmentally friendly pickup truck, I'll use it to buy an RV so I can take my family up the canyon more to breath cleaner air, I'll use it to buy a membership to the club and get in shape, I'll use it to, build a bigger home, I'll use it to take my family on vacations so we're not adding to the carbon emissions in Utah. I'll put that money to good use fighting cancer in my family, Mr. Huntsman; I promise. Do you want to write a check, or shall I give you my account number for a direct deposit? I'm thinking $100K should cover it for now. I'll even vote for who you tell me to. Deal?

• For the record...
    May 20, 2009 7:59 p.m.

I did not vote for Huntsman the first time around and I did not vote for him the second time around. He has definitely veered into the left lane progressively over the past several years. Problem with the second time around is that there were no viable candidates. Sounds like sometime soon he may pull a Specter....say 2016? because a moderate Republican will not make it as Prez. (i.e. John McCain). With the moolah issue, they will be prepared for the Demo party to accept that.

I do respect the Huntsmans, however, father and son. Good men.

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2009 7:10 p.m.

cool....they have worked hard for their money and can spend it any way they chose.

they as a family have given much back to the community and country.

It's not your money, quit complaining.

• b. obama
    May 20, 2009 5:57 p.m.

Thanks Gov. We couldn't have done it with out you!!

• MedPhys
    May 20, 2009 3:51 p.m.

I am grateful to the Huntsman family for all of their generous donations, I have had close friends and family benefit from scholarships they have created. I'm especially grateful for their efforts in cancer research, a field that I am going to be working in. I would hope to see the government get more involved in funding, if it means donating to campaigns regardless of party, then by all means do it.

• Carl
    May 20, 2009 3:50 p.m.

It is his money. He can donate it whereever he wishes. He does not take your money and direct it to his wishes--it is his. That said, I wish I had his money and he had a feather up his nose and we would both be tickled!

• Mormon but not Republican
    May 20, 2009 3:12 p.m.

If you recall that most Mormons live outside of Utah, in fact outside of the US, perhaps it won't surprise you that MORE Mormons are socialists than anything else. Folks in Utah County claim to be Independent but vote straight party Republican ticket every time because they think there is some connection between their religion and their politics. Evidently not outside of Utah County--or Utah--or US.

• re: wassup
    May 20, 2009 2:52 p.m.

Speaking of hypocrits. You champion the cause to eliminate abortion, yet you and your fellow war-mungering Republicans would love to see a gun in the hands of every American. And not for any valid or responsible reason, but because a group of men in the 1700's felt the need to fend off British troops from harming their family and property.

I believe Majerus probably had a similar view of many outsiders who come into contact with the LDS culture.

• John Reynolds
    May 20, 2009 2:25 p.m.

This family has done a lot of good with their money, but much harm to the country, with their left leaning ways. Jon jr. is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
    Socialists at heart. Good ridence !

• Good riddance!
    May 20, 2009 1:57 p.m.

This just shows how liberal huntsman really is if the most socialist president hussein nominates "republican" huntsman to work his magic in china. Atleast this will open up a spot for some real republican to step in and show Utah what they were missing.

• RB
    May 20, 2009 1:31 p.m.

Congradulations Mr. Huntsman.
    Godspeed you.

U.S. Ambassadors are supposed to represent all AMERICA, not just one political party ideology.
    Since most people on the board can't tell if he's a Republican or a Democrat -- He'll represent America's best interest.

As for the Republican vs Democrat debate...
    They're all playing to the same Gadiantons. Politics is just like watching a Punch and Judy show -- the same puppeteer throwing the punches at each other, so the sheeple can be entertained.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

• Thanks To The Huntsman Family
    May 20, 2009 12:59 p.m.

I have always admired your philanthropy and respect you even more for caring about people more than their Party affiliation- your passion to fight cancer and help finance research is a great gift. To those on this board that don't appreciate it and can only attack because you don't support their agenda- they are the minority- remember Jon Jr you have over an 80% approval rating, that speaks louder than the few hateful remarks by those on these boards.

I will miss Jon Jr as Governor, and to Jon Sr- I wish the best, thanks for your continued support (and creation) of the Huntsman Center.
    Utah is lucky to count you as a resident!

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2009 12:53 p.m.

It must be nice to be a Huntsman son, to have everything handed to you, and not have to struggle at all in life.

• Sad to See You Go
    May 20, 2009 12:14 p.m.

Jr. it will be sad to see you go. I think you have done a great job with the State so far. I admire much of what your family has accomplished. Thank you for being willing to go and serve the US overseas.

• Professor
    May 20, 2009 12:11 p.m.

Though Jon Huntsman, Sr remains a fairly wealthy man, I don't believe he currently qualifies as a billionaire - at least not according to recent financial postings of his stock.

• The Rock
    May 20, 2009 12:04 p.m.

Thanks Gov!

Just as the constitution is hanging by the thinest of threads your family finances the guys sawing on it.

You will probably make a decent diplomat to China.
    Now Utah can have a govenor who really understands freedom and liberty.

Utah's gain may also be a gain for the nation and China.

This may well be a win, win, win situation.

• re: Wally
    May 20, 2009 11:58 a.m.

Dear Wally,

"Gringos" is a derogatory term used by Hispanics to describe Europeans or "white" people. The irony of your sad efforts at satire is your secular progressive comrades would love nothing more than to round up all the "gringos" (white men) in the country and punish them for all the years of horrible, hateful development of the most peaceful, prosperous, and free society in recorded history.

That the Huntsmans are paying both sides in the "pay-to-play" game of politics is simply a disgusting reality of our world, not a platform for partisan finger pointing or reason for your continued dribble about how terrible Utah is.

That someone finds it disingenuous for John Jr. to run as a conservative and act as a liberal is not hateful, rather it is a reasonable opinion based on observation.

(P.S. Did you change your name to Wally after being deeply moved by the message of the Disney movie of similar name? Is your middle name Simba?)

• Believer Retort
    May 20, 2009 11:40 a.m.

Yes, Utahns were heavily Democratic in the 50's and '60s...but the 1972 Democratic National COnvention exposed the dirty little secret that the National Party was controlled by the Looney Left advocating abortion, anti-military, gay rights, legalizing drugs, etc., and that's the watershed event in utah politics. Utahns left the Democratic party in droves... and have been with GOP ever since. So for people to say their grandfather was Democrat and good LDS person to justify current politics, is just plain stupid. That person's Grandfather would likely be a Republican today because of the progressive fascists in liberal Democratic party have moved it so far to the left that it leaves most Utahns stone-cold, and nothing Harry Reid can say will change that until the National party includes more conservatives.

• Huntsman JR
    May 20, 2009 11:38 a.m.

Huntsman is a rino......apparently so is his father.......What is the story behind the Huntsman kidnapping back some 20 years ago? Does anyone know the facts?

• STOP
    May 20, 2009 11:37 a.m.

Stop whinning about the recipients of Huntsman family political donations. They can and should do what they want.
    The bottom line is that Jon Huntsman, Jr. is extraordinarily qualified to be Ambassador to China. This can be very beneficial for our country if he does his job well. China owns a lot of this country's debt, and don't forget it.
    And I admire Jon Senior's dedication to cancer research and treatment. That is a noble goal in life.

• re: 10:43
    May 20, 2009 11:34 a.m.

Unfortunatley, your family is very unique. As a non-LDS member of a family with many LDS members, I hear all too often comments about how they don't know, or care to know, what a politician actually stands for. What they do when reaching the voting booth is to either 1)vote for whoever their parents/siblings/significant other tells them to, or 2)hit the straight party slot for Republicans.

The fact that your family actually takes the time to research candidates and their beliefs is very unique to the Utah political landscape.

Too many people in this state, and I'm sure other states but being in Utah I cannot say for certain, have no knowledge of the situation. They do what they are told. PERIOD!!

FYI - Your parentheses are extremely tiring. The fact that you've been around the block enough to memorize many useless "yo-yo tricks" has obvioulsy not enhanced your level of intelligence. Old does not equal educated and correct.

• wassup
    May 20, 2009 11:32 a.m.

Nice to see the Huntsman's donating money to the political party who supports abortion. They want to save lives of those with cancer but kill those who aren't even born yet. Wow. What hypocrits. But then again Huntsman supported Rick Majerus regardless of Rick's disdain for Mormons simply because Rick could give Sr. access to the NBA through George Karl. I see the Huntsman's as hypocrits. Jr. will do well in China. He is well qualified and we won't have to see him here in Utah.

• Wally
    May 20, 2009 11:06 a.m.

CP - Ditto's. If only he gave all his coin to Bennett, Butters, Chaffetz, and Crammer - we would be so much better off...They are the light and truth who will lead us back to nuclear waste, anti-sodomy laws, and round'in up them gringos. Those are the "true" principles we want here in Utah.

• katamb-midvale
    May 20, 2009 11:02 a.m.

The Huntsmans gave money to Charlie Rangel in New York? I think they're sniffing that stuff they make in those chemical factories! He's about as devisive as one person can get. I lived in New York City - he's horrible!

• re: "re:KM"
    May 20, 2009 10:43 a.m.

yo-yo voting conscience = Vote for any yo-yo with a D by his name!!

Seriously, what planet are you from?? I call you a yo-yo because you are one. Probably one of these new "liberals" who seek change in every facet of life, up one day and down the next, searching "around the world", every now and then "walking the dog", and after reading your response, a "sleep" at the wheel, (since you are too young to know, those are all yo-yo tricks in parentheses).

So all mormons vote "R", if you are not the "kettle" calling the "pot" black (that is not racial thing, it is just an old saying), you judge others as if they are all the same, yet you, yourself, are basically doing the same thing from the opposite prospective.

I am LDS, I have five siblings, 3 are "R"'s and 2 are "D"'s, the "D"'s vote the way they do, because they are educators and think that more money comes to them that way. My point is, right or wrong, people vote for those who they think will bring them the most benefit financially............. PERIOD!! ............ just like you

• Herb Gravy
    May 20, 2009 10:30 a.m.

Of course, when you have that much money, you can afford to play both ends toward the middle!

• liberal larry
    May 20, 2009 10:28 a.m.

I have tremendous respect for both Huntsmans, no matter what they do with their political donations.

• WOW
    May 20, 2009 10:15 a.m.

I never would have believed that some Mormons can be so ignorant:
    Listen, being a Socialist is not a sin it just mean you believe and want social justice.
    Being Liberal is not a sin either, it just mean you are open minded to other currents of opinion.
    Being a liberal and a socialist is closer to the scriptures than being a selfish capitalist. Have you heard of Isaiahs, The united Order, the sharing in the Books of Acts, etc, etc.
    About this issue of Mr. Huntsman giving money to both parties...In what way is that yours or mine busines??
    The world is bigger and greater than provincial Utah....is true! Read, learn, travel rememeber "The Glory of God is intelligence"

• Sam
    May 20, 2009 10:04 a.m.

We finally have people with integrity and influence who are willing to support politicians who coincide with personal views regardless of party affiliation. Why do politics have to be an all or nothing team sport? For example, I enjoy the idea of a hands-off government but despise that republicans preach freedom but deny those who believe different than them of basic rights. As Yoda said, Thinking in absolutes leads to the dark-side. Im glad that Huntsman will donate to any politician regardless of party affiliation that will assist in his agenda to fight cancer.
    You WILL be missed governor.

• Golden Rule
    May 20, 2009 10:03 a.m.

he who has the gold makes the rules.

• Al
    May 20, 2009 10:03 a.m.

"At this stage of my life, there is only one cause that I care about funding: find a cure for cancer,"
    Why cant more people have that attitude? It looks like Huntsman Sr. is very direct and straight forward about his donations. He gives money to people who support cancer research. How could any of you complain about who he gave money to if its for cancer research? He could buy the cure for cancer from Kim Jong-Il for all I care. This whole Red vs. Blue is all just smoke and mirrors.
    For the most part Americans want the same things. Politicians need conflicts between two groups so they can implement their own agenda. Its called the Hegelian dialectic; two parties generate conflicts to implement their own agenda. The real creepy thing is Marx solely used the Hegelian dialectic to justify communism. Literally Marxs whole reasoning for the need of communism was this Hegelian dialectic, two party generating conflict for their own means . Understanding the Hegelian dialectic is some very hard reading, so I hope I understood it correctly. Please dont take my word for it, go read about it.

• We are united
    May 20, 2009 10:00 a.m.

We no longer have a two-party system.

• Knowwhat
    May 20, 2009 9:40 a.m.

It looks like there was some bill that Charlie Rangel was pushing through that benefited Huntsman Inc. Wise businessmen.

• re: KM
    May 20, 2009 9:37 a.m.

Mormon voting conscience = Vote for the guy with the R by his name.

The Utah County Clerks office should consider leaving candidates names blank to save money on ink. Just put "To Be Determined" next to the R and you can fill the position once the R wins the election.

Please, this has been and will always be the only voting method for LDS Republicans.

If Huntsman had an 80% approval rating recently, and all the LDS want him out, why did they still approve of him? I'm assuming the LDS population is not only 20%. Guess they weren't responding to the survey with their conscience, just the fact he was a Republican.

• Question
    May 20, 2009 9:34 a.m.

Am I the only one who still sees political donations as bribes? And didn't John Sr write a book on the importance of integrity?

It never ceases to amaze me the gall of the rich and powerful. It's not that they don't have their own money to fund their own pet project. Maybe father and son are more similar than I once thought. One wants taxpayers to fund his cancer project, and the other to fund his soccer stadium project.

@Utah Hatred. "You people don't like anyone or anything"

I think most people despise liars, hypocrites, thieves (those who take from taxpayers for unconstitutional purposes), and bribe payers who pay to win political favor. Honestly, it is difficult to find a prominent person who is not infected with one or more of the aforementioned afflictions. It's not like we don't want a hero to brag about. We simply cannot find one worthy of the honor.

My theory is that they are all mentored by each other and become proficient in the art of cunning. Egos blossom as bank accounts grow, and pretty soon they see themselves as gods over the little people.

• The only
    May 20, 2009 9:30 a.m.

reason he's getting "bipartisan" money is that nobody can figure out which party he belongs to or where he stands!

• Angus Young
    May 20, 2009 9:27 a.m.

re: Cosmo | 8:44 a.m. May 20, 2009

Come on. Come on. Listen to the money talk.

• The Huntsman Family
    May 20, 2009 9:24 a.m.

has a long history of donating to Democrats as well as Republicans and supporting liberal causes. This is not news. What's news is that Utahns are surprised by this.

Sure, the Huntsman Family (like some of us) is self serving and they prove that money (though it can't buy you love) can get you places.

My suggestion is for Utahns to avoid their tendency to worship "successful" saints. Be no more smitten by the Huntsmans than by your next door neighbors. Chances are your neighbors are better people and serve without blaring a trumpet for all to see.

• Craig P
    May 20, 2009 9:22 a.m.

How about if they didn't donate their money to anyone? At least they donate to some one out of their own free will and choice, what difference does it make to whom they donate?
    Just because they are rich doesn't make it an obligation for anyone to donate, they don't have to give a penny. Now if they didn't donate, you same people bashing the Huntsmans would bash them for not donating... it's a lose lose situation!

• Who really controls the country
    May 20, 2009 9:19 a.m.

I'm not saying all politicians are corrupt but it does bother me that those with money have great ability to influence all politicians. Reminds me of a similar situation where Napolean said:

"When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes."- Napoleon Bonaparte

• Utah Man
    May 20, 2009 9:15 a.m.

The big plan is coming together.

• Grimble
    May 20, 2009 9:08 a.m.

Makes sense. Huntsman Sr.'s main concern right now is cancer science. The Republicans have gone to great lengths to become the anti-science party.

"How could a moral person give money to Harry Reid?"

The first step to political irrelevance is to refuse to recognize any morality in those with whom you disagree politically.

• Right
    May 20, 2009 9:07 a.m.

And lets hope that none of you ever have to get treatment for cancer because you of course would never want to go to the Huntsman Cancer centers- after all you are all you don't want to be associated with such a terrible family name.

• SPA
    May 20, 2009 9:06 a.m.

There are always bitter people, and many of them are found here on this forum. How miserable their lives must be.

• scrutinizer
    May 20, 2009 9:05 a.m.

"No one, of course, is questioning..."
    WRONG! I am questioning. Isn't it an odd coincidence that the Huntsman family donated a massive amount to elect Obama, then -surprise, surprise- Jonny gets nominated to take the Obama plan to the Chinese.
    This move may be good for Utah, to get rid of a Globalist governor, but it does not bode well for the country as a whole, in the long run. Some of us are nervous to have him over there negotiating in behalf of the socialists currently in charge in America.

• Believer
    May 20, 2009 9:04 a.m.

Democrats aren't devils. I believe several prominent members of your LDS church were and are democrats, and 50+ years ago Utahn's in general were democrats. If you think Republicans are going to heaven and democrats are going to hell, you are insane and don't understand your scriptures! I believe the article said that they gave to anybody interested in helping ride the world of cancer, what is wrong with that cause, I would bet it is a lot better than a lot of the reasons you contribute to candidates, and a better use of the money than many other things.

I am a Huntsman beliver.

• Wish I
    May 20, 2009 9:01 a.m.

were a billionaire and could easily afford to give the legal maximums to both parties without even feeling a pinch. Why not play both sides of the table?

• AZ
    May 20, 2009 9:01 a.m.

Who cares what the Huntsman Family does with there money. I think people are just mad that they did not give it to them.... Have a great day in Utah people...

• It's time...
    May 20, 2009 8:59 a.m.

It was good to hear that the Huntsman family donates so generously to both parties. Now if they would do us a big favor and spend a little money on themselves. Please Jon, get rid of all those pink sweaters and sets of pearls that your wife, Mary Kaye, wears constantly and get her some new outfits to wear! If you need help, I'm sure the GOP would love to be a fashion consultant and spend some money on a few outfits for her. Sound familiar?

• Dr.J
    May 20, 2009 8:56 a.m.

The bile seems to flow deep with the posters on this story. Come to my office and we'll talk about your pervasive dysfunction. In the mean time, the Huntsman's amount to something and you, well, you just whine.

Gotta go, here comes my next client. He's a narcassistic mormon-hater, who has lost three jobs in the last two years. His insurance run's out after the next few visits then you know what happens, he takes his paranoia to the DNews comment boards and bashes everyone who tries to do something good. Hopefully I can stem that tide . . .

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2009 8:55 a.m.

Good for them. You party before country people make me sick.

• Wise up
    May 20, 2009 8:49 a.m.

It is good to see Utah Mormons wising up to the fact that the Republican Party is a dismal failure that has nearly destroyed our nation, while catering only to a small plutocracy. Only the most ignorant would continue to be duped by this crowd who only appease the top 1% of wage earners.

That said, the Democrats are not far behind in their corporate pandering. After 8 years of tyrant Bush, and Obama continuing the same grab for power, we are effectively doomed as a nation.

• TT
    May 20, 2009 8:45 a.m.

Charlie Rangel? One of the most corrupt politicians in US History? Wow!

• Cosmo
    May 20, 2009 8:44 a.m.

Follow the money! And now you know, the rest of the story. (With apologies to Paul Harvy)

• KM
    May 20, 2009 8:42 a.m.

What say you Demos/libs that always paint Mormons with a broad brush. Maybe Mormons are more free thinking than you give them credit for. They will always vote their conscience. You, on the other hand have voted in the most tyranical govt. in the history of the U.S.A.

• Sue
    May 20, 2009 8:42 a.m.

I second CP's comments!

• Roger
    May 20, 2009 8:40 a.m.

Is there really anyone who doubts that Huntsman's ambassador appointments are really because of his personal talents? Clearly, the only reason for all this is the money his family has given to politics.

• John Wicks
    May 20, 2009 8:39 a.m.

I would be curious to see what Daddy paid for this latest fiascal. Just another ploy of the rich scratching each other's backs. I hope his replacement will at least do his job which was not getting done before!!

• Robert S.
    May 20, 2009 8:36 a.m.

The article states, "No one, of course, is questioning whether Huntsman . . . was nominated now as ambassador to China by Democratic President Barack Obama as a reward for his family's donations to Democrats."

That's not true. Lots of people are questioning whether he was nominated simply because of his father's contributions. That was the only reason he was named ambassador to Singapore. It was common knowledge in Washington during the Bush years (1988-1992) that one could have an ambassadorship by donating $250,000 to the Republican Party.

Furthermore, the political donations that this article mentions are only those donations that are reportable. Many donations, the so-called "soft money" donations made directly to the party, are not reportable. I, for one, am certain that the only reason the Governor is on his way to China is because of his father's donations to the Democratic Party. If his father claims otherwise, he should make public all his political donations, not just those that are reportable.

• Smart People
    May 20, 2009 8:34 a.m.

That is why the Huntsmans are where they're at. They're smart people who take a strategic view of things and position themselves to take full advantage both in business and politics. But no one can say that Jr. isn't qualified -- he's eminently qualified to be Chinese Ambassador -- with his diplomatic experience already, his exectuive experience, his business experience, and his integrity. Obama was smart to ask him to take the position. But Huntsman will benefit the most -- he can always quit and run for President at time of his choosing, and already have experience in all areas -- businsess, governor, ambassador... etc. the only shortfall I see is lack of military experience, but then both Clinton and Obama have demonstrated that isn't a show stopper anymore.

• Cowboy Joe
    May 20, 2009 8:22 a.m.

Question??
    If Jon Jr. and Mitt Romney both end up in the GOP primary, were would Jon Sr. be throwing his support including his $$$$.

• Hey Lee
    May 20, 2009 8:07 a.m.

"No one, of course, is questioning whether Huntsman, a two-time ambassador and a Republican Utah governor who speaks Mandarin, was nominated now as ambassador to China by Democratic President Barack Obama as a reward for his family's donations to Democrats."

You didn't learn that long drawn out writing style in journalism school. Doesn't your editor know that the average DesNews reader needs short words and sentences? Sheesh, come on man.

• sarah jane
    May 20, 2009 7:51 a.m.

Good riddance to the Huntsman family.

• Ernest T. Bass
    May 20, 2009 7:51 a.m.

Their blessings will dry up if they keep giving money to democrats.

• CB
    May 20, 2009 7:50 a.m.

Business interest or not how could a moral person give money to Harry Reid?

• Anonymous
    May 20, 2009 7:47 a.m.

I am so sorry to hear they donated to Harry Reid. What an embarrassment.

• Utah Hatred
    May 20, 2009 7:30 a.m.

You people don't like anyone or anything

• Joseph
    May 20, 2009 7:01 a.m.

Self interest, this is simple self interest.

People buy what they need. The huntsmans are no different. THey pay what they can for representation.

• normal behavior
    May 20, 2009 6:04 a.m.

Very normal behavior: the rich give to both sides to cover their bets. Even our local banker does it.

• Greg Dawson
    May 20, 2009 3:14 a.m.

This is just terrible. Giving money to the liberals.

• CP
    May 20, 2009 1:48 a.m.

Well, I for one am happy for Huntsman Jr. to be going to China. That way Utah can get a governor who really cares about UTAH and it's people and make time for us in their schedules. So he got what he wanted now maybe UTAH can get what we want...a governor who cares! So pack your bags Huntsman Jr and family and fly away! I won't miss him!