Governor Huntsman causing national, local stir

'08 strategist sees Utahn as '12 candidate

• robert
    May 12, 2009 5:39 p.m.

Huntsman needs to go.....he's an idiot for supporting CAP and Trade..must be in bed with the Obama polititicians

• Dear Utah Test
    May 10, 2009 10:59 p.m.

And Ed Schultz or Schulz (however you spell it) speaks for America. He has as much hate in him if not more than Hannity or Limbaugh ever had or ever will have. We listen to him at night on the AFN network. All three spew hate and contention.

They are very selective in what they report and skew the meaning most of the time. Schulttz reported that no President has ever had such high ratings in the 1st 100 days of their administration, yet the papers reported there has been only one President with lower ratings. Schultz was using the report that many people like Obama as a person, but disagree with his politics. All 3 twist the truth to make their point, and it is no longer the truth.

It is not the liberals who are pushing to force radio stations to hire liberal tak hosts.
    Washington had it right at his farewell speech. When the party wins the people loose. In six years we could change this nation by voting out every single incumbent. In six years we would not have anymore political cronies, but new breath. American's don't have the backbone to do this.

• Anonymous
    May 10, 2009 11:20 a.m.

Folks, the Guv may be causing a local stir, but he really isn't on the national level. We will see if he truly rises to that level, but for now, it is way overstated, and I'm willing to bet the Guv would agree.

• Anonymous
    May 9, 2009 4:09 p.m.

Huntsman and Palin! What a great ticket! Both are attractive to look at. Huntsman would get the femal and gay vote, and Palin would get the male and lesbian vote.

Great idea!

OR, you could just have Will Smith and Halle Berry! Or Smith and Palin. Or Huntsman and Berry. Mix-n-match, it doesn't matter, as long as they are big on looks and short on substance!

• Vote Mormon?? Are you kidding?
    May 9, 2009 12:19 p.m.

Interesting how we never heard Ronald Reagan's religion mentioned when he was running for President.

I wonder how many Presidents have had their 'religious preference' voted on in an election.

I thought we were voting on a Person, not a Religion!!

• BobP
    May 6, 2009 11:06 p.m.

Huntsman as President and Palin as VP. A nice balanced ticket to capture both the religious and fidiciary conservatives. Palin is still young enough to be President later.

• Definition: hypocrisy
    May 6, 2009 9:26 p.m.

Utah Mom | 1:42 p.m. May 6, 2009
    "It is funny how Liberals resort to name-calling, i.e. "Taliban", "paranoid", and assume as liberals they are the only ones who are reasonable..."
    Thanks for the laugh Utah Mom about your name-calling "Liberals."

• RLP
    May 6, 2009 5:28 p.m.

To: No Mormon President.
    I suppose you like what we have better? Sadly the day may come soon that you would welcome a Mormon President. Principals and values go a long way in this world. Lets see how the world is in 2012. Write again then...if you have the freedom to do so.

• Friend of a Neighbor
    May 6, 2009 5:11 p.m.

I have a friend who lived in the same neighborhood as Huntsman before his election as governor. Let's just say that neither that friend nor I will EVER vote for Huntsman as governor, president, or ANYTHING!

• Silva
    May 6, 2009 4:51 p.m.

As much as I want to get rid of Huntsman, I don't want him running this country. He caves to special interest and money on cue, such as Energy Solutions. He balances the budget by cutting programs to the poor, elderly and disabled. Some parents have had to leave this state to get help for disabled children. Last year Utah was #46 in spending for these groups on a per capita basis. Then there is his stand on human trafficking and helping the rich stay that way through illegal workers.

No thanks.

• Surf-the-Tsunami
    May 6, 2009 4:46 p.m.

Dr. Tom Coburn - Huntsman 2012 ... to confront bio-medical catastrophes and have someone fluent in Mandarin Chinese to learn the ropes of Washington under ueber-Patriot Coburn - who actually created and grew American jobs with his Virginia company- Coburn Optical and is a Giant on healthcare reform coupled with Cost savings v-like no other on Capitol Hill

• Hey Utah Mom
    May 6, 2009 4:26 p.m.

See scotwright's 2:51 comment to see what I mean about both sides engaging in name calling and characterizations.

• Shirley
    May 6, 2009 3:36 p.m.

Dave, do you really think any GOP candidate will be electable in 2012? This country does not need a Rep. for some time to come. Thanks, anyway.

• No Mormon President
    May 6, 2009 3:36 p.m.

Conservatives and liberals don't agree about much, but they do agree that no Mormon is fit to be president. Whether it's Huntsman or Romney, there is no chance that either will ever be president. There is no way that GOP primary voters will nominate a Mormon, and there is no chance that the evangelical conservatives in the South or the liberals in the Northeast and coastal West will elect a member of the LDS as the Commander in Chief. Not gonna happen.

• Mike
    May 6, 2009 3:23 p.m.

HUntsman`s got it right. He go`s to the Jazz and my dog goes to the NFL. Like him or hate him...Irrelevant. Never going to happen..not with divine intervention...NEVER. We go through this every cycle. The Utah fantasy candidate. 63 years old too.
    Been around this for a while.

• scotwright
    May 6, 2009 2:51 p.m.

The Dems picking our candidate reminds me of the saying about coaches. "If you make your coaching moves by listening to the crowd, next year you become one of them."

It seems to me that McCain was loved and supported by the Media as a great candidate who, with his pro amnesty and other moderate views failed to attract the base and get out the vote.

Why do we give any creedance to a group of Communist/Fascist Democrats who are out to take us back to feudalism or slavery? These Democrat leaders hate freedom and hate anyone who believes in God. The first time I heard a "Lib" say that the feared Religious people I was dumbfounded. My response to the young woman who said this was, "What are they going to do, pray for you?" To this she had no answer except to regurgitate the Commie propaganda she had learned from other "Cell Libs." If you really want to understand todays Liberals read "The Many Faces of Communism" by J. Edgar Hoover. He was an imperfect man who had a perfect understanding of Communists and their methods. NOW THEY HAVE A PRESIDENT!

• To Utah Mom
    May 6, 2009 2:23 p.m.

If you are withholding your vote from those who engage in name calling or personal characterizations, you won't be voting for anyone anytime soon. I appreciate that there are very good people in every political category. But many who tend to share your more conservative views often lead the way in this behavior. You only have to turn on the radio or tune into cable news to see for yourself.

• Dave
    May 6, 2009 2:08 p.m.

This is the left wing media, redundant I know, attempting to pick another GOP candidate that's not electable. Just like McCain in 2008. I wonder if you can fool enough GOP voters again, to make this strategy work again?

• Gay Marriage versus Civil Unions
    May 6, 2009 2:01 p.m.

Yes, the majority of this country does not support gay marriage. But the majority does support civil unions and the rights and benefits that flow from that. Huntsman is in step with the majority of this country while the majority of Utah is in step with- well, Idaho.

And the position of the LDS Church is actually much more in step with Huntsman (no gay marriage but other legal equalities for gay couples) than the far right (wrong) majority of LDS members. But the political views of many members have been much further to the right of their own church for years now.

• Oh captain my captain...
    May 6, 2009 1:51 p.m.

Gov please don't leave us. You are a rare breed among Republicans. For an independent like me, who has trouble swallowing the uber powerful LDS governmental platform you make life here in Utah very tolerable. I know you've said you won't seek re-election but feel free to flip flop on that promise. Government should be bringing us together (you) not driving wedges in the fabric of society (Butters, LDS Church, Eagle Forum; I've separated them here but they all get invites to the BBQ). Save us from ourselves!

• Moderates
    May 6, 2009 1:50 p.m.

Moderates have no core beliefs? Who has the stronger core beliefs, a moderate who applies their core beliefs issue by issue, or someone on the far left/right that points to someone else and says, "I'll have what they are having." I deeply distrust anyone who never strays from hardline positions... Rational people will never agree on every issue.

Speaking as an independant, we currently have a Rep party that preaches less government/spending (but has a recent history of practicing something else) and encourages more governent interference in social matters (the term "family" is often code for legislating morality-not a true conservative ideal). Reps are going to have to choose between independants that do not want government in our day today lives or the religious fundamentalists.

• Andy
    May 6, 2009 1:45 p.m.

Huntsman seems to be a competent administrator, and would seem right at home as a CEO or department secretary in someone else's presidency. Idealogically he'll be found wanting in Republican primaries. In addition, he doesn't seem to reflect any sort of agenda or ideas that excite voters. I think he lacks charisma, particularly the kind strong presence we like to see in a president. Of course Obama doesn't have a forceful presence either, but he does have charisma

• Utah Mom
    May 6, 2009 1:42 p.m.

It is funny how Liberals resort to name-calling, i.e. "Taliban", "paranoid", and assume as liberals they are the only ones who are reasonable, compassionate, and moderate (Yes, you, Utah Test). Not all of us conservatives, who aren't represented by men such as Huntsman, are not living our lives by or even listening to the talk show hosts such as Rush and Hannity. Maybe we are providing service for 6 weeks in South America. Perhaps we are working to pay for our and other's health care. We might even be busy recyling, clipping coupons, or getting a doctorate degree, and doing what ever it takes to support our large families and the others we now get to pay for, outside of what we already donate on a regular basis. It would be nice to have some representation for beliefs and values, but until that happens, conservatives will continue to give--time, money, and support of others in need, not forced by the government, but voluntarily. Until liberals/moderates, and who ever they support, stop the name-calling and stop assuming they have a corner on the market as far as compassion, they will never have my vote.

• Kenneth in Texas
    May 6, 2009 1:31 p.m.

re: "Political ANIMALS": The article is about two potential future candidates for President. We already have term limits for the presidency. So, what is your point?

• Utah Lady
    May 6, 2009 1:25 p.m.

Re Neil:

You paint with a pretty broad brush. Behavior like this is what is wrong with this country. You can't disagree without it resulting in name calling and incorrect generalizations. I don't think either party has all the answers, and I personally know many great people who fall into opposing camps. It would be great if we could work together to make our country strong, rather then continue to pull it down.

• Niximus
    May 6, 2009 1:03 p.m.

RE:Common Guy @ 1:31

Ah in case you forgot the GOP nominated a Moderate Centrist Maverick last November. And guess which way all the moderates/independents voted? Well I guess I don't have to tell you.

And to all these people give Huntsman props for "sticking his neck out" on these issues. Why in the world didn't he take these positions before the November election? Yeah he is sure a man of real integrity.

• Narcciccism
    May 6, 2009 12:53 p.m.

On display -- is Jon Huntsman, Jr. His views and policies lack any real base; they're based on "him." No recognizable philosophy of governance there, either on fiscal or social issues. You never know what you're going to get with him. I guess he thinks he's so wonderful that he can get away with it? Not this voter. I want to know where someone stands. His ecclectic positions on environment and civil untions have left me and other conservative voters in the dust.

• Huntsman in '12 or '16
    May 6, 2009 12:26 p.m.

I can't wait to cast my vote for Huntsman for President! I think Romney will probably beat Huntsman to be the nominee in '12 but Romney will get slaughtered by Obama. By '16, my fellow Republican's will be humble enough to accept a more forward thinking candidate like Huntsman and he'll be pres in '16. Go Huntsman! Way more qualified than flip flop saying whatever he needs to the extreme base Romney.

• Mikey
    May 6, 2009 12:04 p.m.

to RE: Mikey and Sally at 10:48

It also is not a right for you to get married in the LDS temple. Would you like it if the government would no longer allow you to be married in the temple? I don't think so.

Just because it isn't a "right" to marry whom I love, doesn't mean that it isn't wrong for the government to not allow me to do so.

What happened to freedom in our country? I am not asking for anything horrific here. I am asking to be treated equally. All I want is to be "allowed" to marry the man that I've been with for 3 years whom I love very much. I don't see how people find that so horrible! Get out of your ugly little shells and see what you're doing. You're telling me that I am not worthy to marry the person I love, but you are. That is wrong. That is discrimination. You can tell me all you want how it is "morally wrong" but obviously we don't have the same morals. So let me live my life and leave me alone!

• Huntsman and sincerity
    May 6, 2009 11:55 a.m.

When it comes to sincerity, Pouffle's is irrelevant. Huntsman's is the question. Keep after him, regardless of your affiliation. He comes across to me as an opportunist.

• Melba Megensik
    May 6, 2009 11:50 a.m.

Heck, Huntsman needs to stay out. Mitt Romney is the man for the job.

• Anonymous
    May 6, 2009 11:28 a.m.

Collin Powell gets it. Rush Limbaugh and conservative extremism has murdered the GOP. Goldwater wouldn't be a republicans today because of the nuts that have become it's talking heads.

Mitt has leap over jaws. He's a joke nationally.

It's classic game strategy. You you keep betting on a loser or do your look for a better bet?

Conservatives believe they can keep doing the same old thing and get a different outcome. As the caravan is pulling away only their barking gets louder.

• Laurie
    May 6, 2009 11:11 a.m.

I always find it interesting that if I am against gay marriage, then I must be stupid, a homophobe, unrealistic moron. But if I am for it, then I am labeled intelligent, free-thinking, cool. Well kids, the fact of the matter is that 60% of America do believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman. By Gov. Huntsman giving his endorsement to gay civil unions, he is just giving us one more step against what the majority of Americans feel is appropriate. Just because someone can scream something is right - doesn't necessarily make it so.
    Frankly Gov. Huntsman, I am deeply, deeply disappointed in you. You have most certainly lost my vote.

• Common guy
    May 6, 2009 10:53 a.m.

I read some comments that say Huntsman is a poor speaker, that he supports gay marriage, and is a liberal.

What are you talking about?

I have never heard any support from Huntsman for gay marriage, he supports civil unions. There is a big difference. If we want to keep marriage intact civil unions is the position to take.

He is a good speaker and not liberal to most of the world. I am afraid if we vary at all from the deepest right leanings of the party we label that person as liberal. We need to think for ourselves sheeple.

I fear that in Utah we might have gone too far to the right and we cannot find our way back to being rational. If we maintain this narrow minded focus we empower liberals and the result will be that we will awake and find ourselves striped of our civil liberties and living in socialist state.

To that I say no thanks.

• re: Mikey and Sally
    May 6, 2009 10:48 a.m.

Those who practice homosexuality already enjoy all the same rights as everyone else. Can you please name one right they don't have (FYI- there are no such things as the right to marry the person you love, the right to marry the person you are attracted to, or the right to marital bliss in heterosexual marriage)? Don't call me names, just name one right homosexuals don't have. I await your replies.

• Doesn't Matter
    May 6, 2009 10:24 a.m.

Most Americans these days favor socialism. It is quite obvious. The only way Obama can loose is for another socialist to run against him. And if we are choosing between two socialists who cares?

• Mike
    May 6, 2009 10:18 a.m.

Huntsman is a breath of fresh air in the Republican Party. Someone who says what they think despite the right wing ideologues that control the party's thought processes. McCain got nominated in 2008 because he was the only one with a chance of winning - and he lost because he still was too far right for the country as a whole (and picking Palin sent him over the edge for good). Huntsman appears to have a brain and common sense - something that seems to be lacking among the party faithful in Utah.

• Captain Kirk
    May 6, 2009 10:09 a.m.

What we need is a real conservative party. Enough moderates. The Republican party needs to stand for something.

@ "How | 8:49 a.m. May 6, 2009
    about Ron Paul for President and Huntsman for VP?"

Ron Paul would never share a ticket with a big government liberal like Huntsman. Ron Paul would make a wonderful president but he is not in a position to win. He was truly the best candidate in 2008. Sadly ... He is a pariah in in the current Republican Party. Which shows you how far left the Republican party is. At one time, Ron Pauls positions were mainstream.

@ Neil | 8:46 a.m. May 6, 2009
    Your words indicate that you seem to be the one with prejudice and hate.
    I certainly can define "socialism". However it is a term that represents some very broad ideas.
    One version is the complete nationalization of the means of production and distribution of wealth.
    Others advocate state control of capital within the framework of a market economy.

We are certainly a "Mixed Economy" and when about 70% of our 2008 budget went to support various redistributions of wealth and subsidies ... we are well on our way to socialism.

• Chuckles55
    May 6, 2009 10:06 a.m.

Here in Utah, the GOP has gone way too far to the right and the conservatives are falling all over themselves to see who can be the "Republicant" of the moment. Huntsman and his move from the extreme right is a breath of fresh air. However, I doubt he will have made enough of an impact on the country to be a viable national candidate for 2012. Sounds like the Democrats may be attempting to set him up as an easy target, like McCain turned out to be in 2008.

• Sally
    May 6, 2009 9:49 a.m.

All of you have your faces so buried in the Book Of Mormon that you are not realizing that Mitt Romney won the governer of the most liberal state in the country and he supported civil unions their. So no matter if you pick Huntsman of Romeny... civil unions and eventually gay marraige will be legal in all states! Finally we have some republican candidates who are smart enough to realize that all people deserve to be given the same rights. Go back to your books of mormon and keep reading so you can continue to live in your little bubble. The gays are going to get their equal rights weather you like it or not! Here we come!!! :)

• Lime Light
    May 6, 2009 9:39 a.m.

We are in the 13th of his 15 minutes.

• Mikey
    May 6, 2009 9:33 a.m.

For all of you who suddenly dislike Jon Huntsman because of his support for civil unions... GROW UP!!! Our wonderful governer is doing what the republican party needed to do long ago. He is not being an uptight, religion driven dictator. He is supporting all human beings and fighting for their rights. That is a much more respectable thing than trying to push your religion and morals upon everyone. Remember how Jesus wanted free agency for all and Satan wanted to make everyone follow exactly as he said??? What do you think you are all doing??? Disgusting.

• CougarKeith
    May 6, 2009 9:27 a.m.

This is not news, I said this when Huntsman backed McCain, WHEN WILL THE D-NEWS LISTEN TO ME! I Said it over a year ago!!! Now he is lining himself up with the gay activists and wants to be the liberal GOP guy. WATCH AND SEE! It's a ploy, liberal social views and conservative economic views he thinks will get him elected. But don't listen to me, I'm the guy that get's it right over 90% of the time.

• HuntsmanisTrue
    May 6, 2009 9:23 a.m.

I know John Huntsman Jr. is true. Even though his resume is basically a creation of Senior, I still know Junior is true.

• jeanne
    May 6, 2009 9:17 a.m.

Have you forgotten that our GOP candidate for the last presidential election was a moderate, green, pro immigration at all costs Republican? John Mc Cain! And what a winner he was....Do we want to repeat the same mistake in 2012?

• VF
    May 6, 2009 9:07 a.m.

To huh:

You obviously do not know anything about Mitt and his father. Mitt went to Harvard and graduated near the top of his class the same year with degrees in business and law.

Mitt went to work with a business firm in Boston (Mitt's dad did not know them) and in a short time was one of their stellar business men who was making most business men look like slow pokes.

Mitt went on to start his own business and ran it for several years before taking over the winter olympics in Utah. He ran the olympics in the same way he ran his businesses and all the people of Utah know of Mitts business capabilities and the way he pulled the Olympics out of the mire.

I've known Mitt for 20 plus years and know him to be one of the sharpest individuals I have ever been around.

PS: Mitt has never relied on his family to get him ahead; to the contrary, he is the one who helps others with their problems. And, reading your input makes it known to me that you know absolutely nothing about Mitt and his capabilities.

• The Rock
    May 6, 2009 9:03 a.m.

Democrats, who want to destroy the Republican Party, are busy telling the Republicans what they need to do.

What person in their right mind would take advice from their enemies?

Bush Sr. Bob Dole and John McCain were all moderates and centrists. They only paved the way to defeat. If the trumpt gives and uncertain sound...

Moderates have no solid core beliefs or principles. Everything is negotiable.

I want a Republican party that understands freedom and the principles that make freedom possible. Anything else will lead to the destruction of our freedoms and liberties.

The next Presidential election will not be about winning or losing but the survival of freedom and the American nation. Put a moderate (like Spector, McCain or Huntsman) in and freedom will be over.

• 4 Years
    May 6, 2009 9:00 a.m.

A new president just took office. Are we going to be subjected to daily endless political speculation and articles about the NEXT election for the next 4 years???? This is worth than advertising for Christmas the day after Halloweeen.

• How
    May 6, 2009 8:49 a.m.

about Ron Paul for President and Huntsman for VP?

• Neil
    May 6, 2009 8:46 a.m.

The far right are a bunch of paranoid nuts, full of hate, predjudice and out of touch with the majority of Americans. All they ever do is try to scare people by labeling every government program as socialism, a word most couldn't even accurately define. It's time true Republicans dump the right and elect some like Romney or Huntsman. Enough of Hannity and his lies and distortions. If the Republicans don't reverse course the next election will be a repeat of Johnson/Goldwater.

• Not Utah
    May 6, 2009 8:30 a.m.

Who cares what Utah thinks. Most will vote GOP/LDS no matter what, there are hardly any electoral votes, and its influence in a Democratic nation is pretty much zero. Ya'll can get worked up all you like in your isolated sphere, but it stays there.

• rlp
    May 6, 2009 8:24 a.m.

My how the MSM distorts. Remember how they gushed over McCain until he won the Republican nomination, then they crushed him. Same thing for Huntsman. He would be the eaisest for Obama to beat, so the MSM is promoting him to the top, then would drop him like a hot potato if he got the Republican nomination. Actually, they fear Romney the most. Look for the MSM to distort Romney's character. Be wise and second guess the Main Stream Media for you own good and the good of our beloved USA.

• The Golden Ticket
    May 6, 2009 8:20 a.m.

Huntsman Jr. & Doug Wright. Two local Democrats who profess being with the majority party.

• Observation-ist
    May 6, 2009 8:12 a.m.

Romney was pro-gay-rights when he was a Governor of Massachusetts. Neither one is a true conservative. Newt Gingrich would eat both of them for lunch.

• duh
    May 6, 2009 8:12 a.m.

Of course Obama's man would like Huntsman, he more a democrat than a republican.

Repeal the 16th amemndment.

• Larry
    May 6, 2009 8:09 a.m.

This is just another example of the Dems trying to get whole they want to run against. Dems were saying the exact same thing about McCain about how he would be the best candidate, he would attract so many independents. And then the second he gets nominated, they jump all over him. Huntsman is not electable on the GOP side...he is too liberal and that is the last thing Republicans need right now. It didn't work with McCain. GOP needs to go back to its Reagan roots and actually nominate a true conservative.

• Anonymous
    May 6, 2009 7:54 a.m.

"conservative," "moderate," what mindless terms. Huntsman supports gay marriage? there is an issue that is bad for everyone, no one benefits, it's a dumb, silly, notion.

And "climate change?" Are you kidding me? This is the biggest brainwashing scam in history, it doesn't exist, yet Huntsman and other bandwagon hoppers are using it for political gain. I find that highly dishonest on his part.

I will never vote for Huntsman again, he doesn't know straight up, and he isn't "trying to build the party." He's trying to build himself.

• Grover
    May 6, 2009 7:47 a.m.

I can see a scenario where Huntsman wins primaries coast to coast, but not in Utah. Huntsman represents the future of the Pub party...the middle. Utah Pubs are like the "ghost of Christmas past"...creepy!

• MEB
    May 6, 2009 7:43 a.m.

@ Anonymous 1:41 - Conservatism is far from dead. It is alive and well in America.

I didn't vote for Huntsman for Governor, since I felt he was more liberal than the Democratic Choice for Governor. Apparently I was right on that one.

What the Republican Party needs is a uniter, not some RINO like Huntsman who will pussyfoot and pander about on issues. Someone who will stand for conservative values and unite the party. Huntsman isn't that guy. Conservatives who have given up on the party won't rally around this guy. Conservatives will listen to someone like Reagan. He made conservatives proud to be conservatives again.

We'll find someone like that again, just like BYU will eventually find a winning quarterback again (much to my chagrin).

• The Utah Test
    May 6, 2009 7:42 a.m.

If most of Utah does not like Huntsman or view him as too moderate then HE IS THE MAN FOR THE JOB!! This country is a huge majority moderate. Utah still clings to their far right, paranoid, Hannity/ Beck/Rush views that DO NOT represent the majority of this country. Take heart Huntsman - the more you are criticized on Deseret News blogs the more you know you ARE in touch with the majority of this reasonable, compassionate, moderate country. But please learn from Romney and do not feel the pressure to run right in a national election. Your thoughtful, inclusive, moderate views is what will help you develop large appeal. And the only type of Mormon that will ever be elected to national office is one who is NOT considered far right.

• Gov
    May 6, 2009 7:42 a.m.

As a Democrat, I have pleasantly surprised by Huntsman's ability to speak his mind, not an easy thing to do for a Utah Republican who is so concerned with what the church thinks. I don't see him as a viable candidate on a national stage right now, but his approach as a Republican is the only way to revive the Republican Party. When Rush Limbaugh is your current voice, something needs to change.

• This is Hilarious
    May 6, 2009 7:39 a.m.

The former campaign manager for Barack Obama acts as if he's scared of Huntsman, and the DesNews reporter eats it up.

As if he didn't have ANY ulterior motive in talking up a squishy Republican moderate like Huntsman for Obama's next opponent.

If we had a truly unbiased media whose members were really interested in finding out the truth, then it wouldn't be so easy for con men like Plouffe to pull the wool over a reporter's eyes.

But alas, most reporters covering the Obama Administration are like teenage girls in the presence of the latest hearthrob; they'll say whatever he wants them to say.

• Don't Worry Red Ones
    May 6, 2009 7:36 a.m.

The intelligent,business guru from Alaska will more than likely be your candidate, then all of you can back another puppet like your last president was. I can't believe how radical your party has become. You remind me of the Jazz basketball team-all talk, no action or plan.

• Dixie Dan
    May 6, 2009 7:26 a.m.

Choosing between Palin or Huntsman is a no brainer.

• Big Pete
    May 6, 2009 6:57 a.m.

Not only are Huntsman's positions wrong on so many issues, he is a political lightweight. He has a very average IQ and isn't a very good speaker. I wish he would just get out of the political arena and go run his father's business into the ground, which is about all he is capable of. I can't stand the guy. I won't say he has been a disappointment as governor because I didn't expect anything when he was elected. I must say his very liberal positions have surprised me, though. A very bad governor!

• Guv Gone Wild!
    May 6, 2009 6:03 a.m.

Hey, this guy has flipped into the ozone. Can you spell R-E-C-A-L-L?

• Dell
    May 6, 2009 5:30 a.m.

If Huntsman does end up running he shouldn't hire any of the McCain people for his campaign, they did a terrible job presenting McCain and Palin.

• Anonymous
    May 6, 2009 5:15 a.m.

If this country won't elect a Mormon from Massachusetts, why would anyone think this country would elect a Mormon from Utah?

• Anon
    May 6, 2009 4:54 a.m.

Who needs Huntsman when we already have a liberal in the White House?

• ernest hemple
    May 6, 2009 4:06 a.m.

It's not going to happen. Huntsman is a liberal. Support for homosexuals is undermining our society. Romney is going ot be the next Republican nominee for president and hopefully he will win. Huntsman is an embarrassment to the state and party.
    I for one will work to defeat this egotistic, power hungry liberal. He is a fool and will one day face his creator on will have a lot of repenting to do. Where much is given, much is required. By the way, the Republican party needs to change by sticking to conservative values: family, less government, compassion and lower taxes.

• Joe
    May 6, 2009 1:46 a.m.

Hooray for liberal ideals!!

• huh
    May 6, 2009 1:45 a.m.

to steve: do you not know who romney's father was? he wouldnt be anywhere without his dad's business connections. Both romney and huntsman rely heavily on their family connections for their success and power. That said romney has shown me that he has no real ideals or solid policy convictions, he is in it strictly to be elected and will say and do whatever is necessary to get elected. Huntsman and people like him are the only way i would even consider returning to the republican party

• Anonymous
    May 6, 2009 1:41 a.m.

Conservatives are like the Taliban, oppressive and rule by iron fist. The republicans are through unless people like Huntsman can gain traction and turn the party to another more moderate direction. Conservatism is dead!

• George
    May 5, 2009 8:10 p.m.

With a candidate like Governor Huntsman I may come back to the Republican Party. We need a different voice than Rush Limbaugh

• HUntsman?
    May 5, 2009 7:43 p.m.

The chances of Huntsman or Romney being elected president of these here united states of america is equal to the chance I have of making the Utah Jazz team next year. I am 63, somewhat in shape, have a vertical of 6 inches maybe, and wear tri-focals.

Putting such fantasy in the newspaper sells papers, but please put it in the weird news column or page, right next to 4 headed woman reads 16 books at a time with super vision!!!!

ain't gonna happen, g.i.

• Anonymous
    May 5, 2009 7:15 p.m.

I would love to see Romney win in 2012. Playing devils advocate, can someone explain to me why Huckabee does not seem to be a big threat to Romney in 2012? He finished 3rd in 2008 and has strong support from the South. Why is he not considered more of a force?

• Rich
    May 5, 2009 5:37 p.m.

Huntsman is too much like McCain for my liking but without the experience. He caved on global warming, signing an agreement that I'm confident our Legislature would not approve. I admire his working on the alcohol issue, but his approach to cutting the budget was the most chicken-livered way to approach the problem, make a standard cut across the board rather than keep the essential programs untouched and make cuts in nonessential programs. I think he's a moderate, and no moderate will win the Republican primaries or generate the type of support needed to get out at least 60 million voters. I would support Romney or Palin. Neither is perfect, but I would trust either one over the Socialist we have in office now.

• Steve
    May 5, 2009 5:01 p.m.

To Ted & Scarecrow: Huntsman did graduate from college but only with Daddy's help. He did not graduate from High School though. The only business experience he has is with daddy's companies. Romney built his business experience from the groud up.
    Please research before you speak.

• John Wicks
    May 5, 2009 4:35 p.m.

The governor is a real loser. I would never vote for him. He should spend his time letting his hair go gray or dye it all. Gray on the sides only just does not cut it. I guess he is a slave to fashion.

• Anonymous
    May 5, 2009 4:24 p.m.

David Plouffe is just trying to push a liberal republican to divide the party. It worked with McCain and it will continue to work with other RINOs. The future of the party is conservatism only.

For the pestimist republican or optimist democrat remember we were in the same position in 67, 75, and 93. All three times it was the Democrats that let America down that allowed the republicans to jump right in. It happened then and it will happen again. History always repeats itself and politics never stays the same for very long.

• Ted
    May 5, 2009 4:12 p.m.

To Scarecrow: Whether or not you like Huntsman's politics you should get your facts straight about his personal life. He HAS had a great deal of business experience, he IS a college graduate and he IS a fiscal conservative. He's also an honest, self-term-limiting politician who will get my solid support regardless of what his next step may be.

• just mine
    May 5, 2009 3:51 p.m.

Common Guy got it right... It's Moderates like Huntsman that are going to help revive the Republican Party. As opposed to the religious far-right that seem to be in control of the party now...

• Anonymous
    May 5, 2009 3:18 p.m.

If it is like this last election, the announcements will start in 2010. Hold on to your seats.

May 5, 2009 2:50 p.m.

• To Common Guy
    May 5, 2009 2:33 p.m.

you hit the nail on the head. I agree, we need more moderates in government who think for themselves instead of following party lines.

• RE: pro-Huntsman
    May 5, 2009 2:30 p.m.

Hunstamn has shown penchant for speaking up on an issue like vouvhers,

but when it comes time to truly stand up and fight for something he disappears. just like with vouchers,

so just like that he talk good game on civil unions,

but he will disappear like he always does when push comes to shove.

Hunstaman will talk for political expedience, but he is a coward and will not actually fight for anything.

Do you see him actually fighting for civil unions?

• Political ANIMALS!!
    May 5, 2009 2:14 p.m.

That is what they all are and people on BOTH SIDES ought to wake up and take note. These people are using and abusing the general citizenry for votes so they can gain POWER and PRESTIGE.

Term Limits is the only way to keep these corrupt power grubbing animals from trashing our country with the back-room deals.

Politics, money, lobbyists, special interests first.....THEN...if there is any time left over they might consider the needs of the average citizen.

That is how it goes and don't pretend it doesn't. Both sides ought to realize their candidate ought to be in office for as little time as possible. After that they just "settle in" and start taking care of themselves and setting up some "consulting or lobbyist" deal after they leave office on a LIFETIME PENSION at taxpayer expense!!!!

Don't let it continue people.

• I hope not
    May 5, 2009 2:05 p.m.

I've had enough of the republican party

• pro-Huntsman
    May 5, 2009 1:49 p.m.

I'd vote for Huntsman and admire him for sticking his neck out there when most of the GOP is busy seeing who can tick their heads in the ground furthest.

• Huntsman or Romney
    May 5, 2009 1:40 p.m.

I think either would be better than what we have. Romney has a better business backgroud, but then again Huntsman has done an excellent job with Utah's budget and has shown he can run an office.

Huntsman should get the nod over Romney, as long as he doesn't start changing his views (even if some think they are too liberal).

• Common guy
    May 5, 2009 1:31 p.m.

Don't you realize the GOP got kicked in the gut last year. I like Huntsman's views. It is about time someone led this state to be more "green". The civil union is the only position that removes sympathy without compromising marriage.

Governor Huntsman is right. We need to move the party more to the center, we need to be the rational party and be more palatable to moderates so that they will not empower the liberal left to move on with their agenda.

• LDS
    May 5, 2009 1:28 p.m.

Have you all forgotten the "LDS" factor? Doesn't matter how good Huntsman, or Romney for that matter may be, as long as the country is filled with LDS bigotry and ignorance I doubt you'll see one of them elected.

Besides, the liberals will be fully enjoying socialism by 2012 so President Obama will likely get to repeat for a second term anyway, regardless of the competition.

• Driftin
    May 5, 2009 1:14 p.m.

I wouldnt vote for him. He no longer even represents the views of Utah citizens anymore. He is a wayward duck that is conforming to liberal views just to get more publicity. Not at all for him, wouldnt even vote him governor.

• Huntsman?
    May 5, 2009 1:11 p.m.

I would never vote for someone as liberal as Huntsman. He's a wolf in sheeps clothing if I have ever seen one.

Sorry folks but it is still Romney all the way as far as Utah is concerned.

• FM
    May 5, 2009 1:06 p.m.

Did you vote for him last election?

• Anonymous
    May 5, 2009 12:50 p.m.

Good thing he is going to run for something other than govenor, as he would have a hard time wining that. I am conservative and Republican and I definitely will not vote for Huntsman.

• scarecrow
    May 5, 2009 12:47 p.m.

Huntsman is not a viable candidate. he has no business experience, just political jobs he got through his father. he did not even graduate from college. he is not a true conservative. once his environmental positions and gay rights positions are vetted, he will disappear as a republican contender.

• Kenneth in Texas
    May 5, 2009 12:38 p.m.

Touting Mitt Romney's win in "Utah's Republican primary last year with a whopping 90 percent of the vote" isn't really news. But, it would be interesting how Romney vs. Huntsman would turn out in a Utah Republican primary.