Sports

Battling back: Boozer plays big as Utah Jazz claw back into series after critical win

Comments

• TODD FROM SANTA ANA
    April 25, 2009 3:28 a.m.

THE REAL ONE NOT ALL DAY IMPOSTERS......THE LAKER FANS ARE FRONT RUNNERS, ARROGANT, OBNOXIOUS, FURTHER WHEN THE TEAM STUNK FOR 2 YEARS IN THE MIDS 90S MOST GAMES AT THE FORUM DREW BETWEEN 10-14 THOUSAND PEOPLE. THEY USED TO HAVE CLASSIER FANS AT THE FORUM, WHEN THEY MOVED TO STAPLES, A "DIFFERENT TYPE OF FAN, YOUNGER AND A LITTLE SASSIER" STARTED SHOWING UP.

THE TAKE IS ALWAYS "WE HAVE MORE RINGS THAN YOU"

HA HA I HATE KARL MALONE DA DA DA DA

I RESPECT JACKSON, KOBE AND FISHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS

HOWEVER, THEY ARE ARROGANT. THEY NEED TO BE PUT DOWN, I CANNOT STAND THEM.'

LEAST WHEN THEY HAD MAGIC, WORTHY, KAREEM THEY HAD REAL CLASS....THE JAZZ TEAM ONE OF MY FAVORITES WAS THAT GREAT UNDERDOG TEAM OF 88 THAT TOOK THEM TO 7 IN QUARTER FINALS

• todd to the truth
    April 25, 2009 3:16 a.m.

SO WHAT IS IT "SLOANAHOLIC"? OR NOT? YOU ARE CONFUSING US, AH TRUTH REMEMBER MY CALL FOR AK TO START?

• Price
    April 24, 2009 9:28 p.m.

Great job to the Jazz, what an awesome game, but Sloan's lineup to start the second was the same as always and still bugs. Also, I don't understand why Price doesn't play instead of Knight. Knight slows down the tempo of the game, and the Jazz need an up-tempo style of offense to beat LA. Price is bigger, brings a lot more energy, and he can drive and shoot. Remember the play-offs last year? His fast-break block was just one of many plays that helped the Jazz take the Lakers to 6 games. The Jazz need heart and effort, and Price brings it every time. Play him more! And go Jazz!!!

• about darned time!
    April 24, 2009 8:55 p.m.

Looked like an audition for the league?

• AK Fan
    April 24, 2009 8:09 p.m.

I can't remember when I was last time get so excited. Good game, main thing is beat LA. Boozer finally showed. I think Bynum's foul trouble gives him operating room. No more shotblocker around. So Collins did his job. Lakers young guys were uncomfortable, SO crowd did good job. Lakers shoot poorly So Jazz defense was good? Not so fast. Decent defense just LA missed. They scored at will sometime and looked little arrogant. I will say Jazz was lucky. AK is AK, give him ball you'll something good happen.

• Chill Out!!!
    April 24, 2009 7:14 p.m.

Man, everybody has so much anger towards each other's fans! Both teams are good and I understand the competitive spirit, but this is unnecessary. Let the teams do the talking and let the results be the answer!

• Jazzsmack
    April 24, 2009 6:58 p.m.

One game doesn't change everything.

Everyone was predicting the jazz would win a game or two anyways,

I don't know if it really was the jazz defense or the lakers just not shooting very well.

But boozer had a very good game AT HOME and the jazz only won by 2.

nothing to brag about.

the jazz actually scored much more in LA,

Odom and gasol combined for over 40 points about the same as game 1 and 2, so who was boozer really stopping.

so again what is boozer really contributing?

the jazz won because the other laker players didn't score as much.

So the jazz didn't really prove anything defensively, nor change anything.

and the jazz aren't doing anything that everyone had already didn't expect them to.

All the professionals expected that ariza and the laker bench would shoot and score as well as they did in LA.

no one expected bryant would have had such a bad game.

and still they only lost by 2.

• my point
    April 24, 2009 6:08 p.m.

you have no banners so stop talking like utah basketball is so superior just because you have one professional franchise in utah, ok and soccer. Taking cheap shots at Fish about cancer and his daugher? that's cold! How would you feel if laker fans yelled out NUBS or Lt. Dan to the late Larry miller. EXACTLY! It's personal and We hate the Jazz and their fans.

• Dear Jazz Nation
    April 24, 2009 6:04 p.m.

YOu mean the world? Well the lakers have World Champions banners. How many do you have? You guys talk like you have some. So Jazz fans, my name is Earth, have we met?

• simple Math
    April 24, 2009 6:01 p.m.

Jazz players + Jazz fans = 0 championships

• Only Hope
    April 24, 2009 4:31 p.m.

Truth is, Jazz are the only team in the West that have a chance of beating the Lakers. Just ask Jalen Rose. If only Okur wasn't hurt.

• Booz?
    April 24, 2009 4:24 p.m.

To 5-24: The percentage isn't much difference between what Kobe and D-Will shot, but the difference is in that second number. 7 to 24. Both guys are smart about when to shoot. D-Will will only shoot closely guarded if the Jazz desperately need the boost. Kobe usually focuses on setting up his supporting cast for production until it's evident they need him to shoot. But 24 shots? He clearly lost confidence in his teammates very quick compared to his confidence in himself. I'd say the Jazz are at least forcing something positive there.

As for Booz, after game 1 I completely believed Jazz need someone bigger down low. And... I'm still convinced of it. But at least Booz raised his value. He's a great player, but he's simply not reliable. D-Will, Brewer, and Millsap are the future.

• re:Kobe Bryant fan
    April 24, 2009 4:20 p.m.

nu uh, you're pathetic

• @Anoymous
    April 24, 2009 4:13 p.m.

Yes, I'm all about knowing what NBA "gifts" the Lakers get from A to Z. One being Kobe Bryant, super star, super stuffed shirt, conceited and spoiled, gets his own way, sometimes clown. You can see it on his face when he doesn't get his way. He wasn't happy with the way things went with the Lakers when the Jazz beat them Thursday's game.
    I hope the Jazz beat 'em again Saturday night!!!
    GO JAZZ!!!!

• Miles
    April 24, 2009 4:01 p.m.

It's the playoffs. Either play above expectations or go home. Boozer needs another series to prove to the league that he is healthy and can compete. Defensively the Jazz has the players to stop LA, they just refuse to put forth the effort. Saturday could be scary. Who knows what team for the Jazz will show up and the Lakers can score in bunches if you let your guard down.

• Dear Laker Nation:
    April 24, 2009 4:00 p.m.

Welcome back to Earth.

sincerely,

Carlos Boozer

• todd to d news
    April 24, 2009 3:56 p.m.

do not feel bad my posts have been deleted since last night. Maybe "fakers" are invading the presses

• magnus
    April 24, 2009 3:51 p.m.

I'm going to throw it out there right now, the Lakers are too good not to win this series, and I think they should win the title this year.

(whispering)...Truth, do you think that will be enough to do it, or should I talk them up some more?

• Kobe Bryant Fan
    April 24, 2009 3:41 p.m.

I will admit that Kobe played bad last night. But that being said, he will bounce back and beat the Jazz at Energy Solutions tomorrow, and go on to win the series. For all you Jazz fans who think you have a chance, you need a reality check. Seriously. You guys are pathetic

• Brewer and the Jazz fans
    April 24, 2009 3:33 p.m.

Had Kolby pretty bummed out last night. It was pretty kool!

Boozer played some D in the first half, it was awesome to see it for the first time all year! In the 2nd half Harpring 6'7" and Milsap 6'7" protected the paint better than Kirilenko and Boozer. Sloan let Boozer sit until almost the 6 min. mark in the 4th. Good job Sloan.

• Faker+Championship
    April 24, 2009 3:22 p.m.

Does that even matter? Who has the trophy right now? That's right, the Celtics DESTROYED the Lakers last year and Kobe shot 41%. But that is ok, you have a lot of banners.

• Faker=Championships
    April 24, 2009 2:24 p.m.

It's a great ride! We have banners that read WORLD CHAMPIONS in our arena. What do you have jazzercise fans? H U S HH

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 2:23 p.m.

Ha ha, I totally have nothing better to do today. I am home sick with a temperature of 103 and bored stiff, so I am wasting away my day pumping myself up for the game tomorrow! I have not given Harpring his props yet. He sparked the comeback. Good job Matt! CJ hit a big three. Korver hit a couple big 3's after struggling for a bit. Kobe is going to bring it, but that's ok. As I said before, if they keep the Laker's roll players off the 3 point line, they will win the game. That is in my humble opinion. Alright, I am gonna get some sleep. COME ON JAZZ!! Let's do this!

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 2:20 p.m.

What scares me the most about this next game is that guys like Vujacic and Fisher have not really hurt the Jazz all that much in the series, but they can shoot the ball. Fisher has done alright. But if these guys get hot, it will be over. The Jazz have got to rotate. Kobe will be Kobe, Pau will be Pau, but the Jazz have got to make sure that Ariza, Brown, Fisher, Vujacic and Farmar if he sees the floor and even Walton do not get stand up 3 pointers because they are bound to hit them. They shot poorly from downtown yesterday. I think they should defend Kobe the best they can, throw a couple defenders at him, you know, give him differrent looks, trap every so often, but for the most part if he goes off then so be it, but do not let everyone else get going.

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 2:15 p.m.

Game 4- Wow, what a game this oughtta be:

Here is what I expect:

1-Kobe will have a very good game.
    2-Deron Williams will play better
    3-Neither team will shoot that bad at the foul line
    4-The Lakers will not shoot a measley 36% from the field.
    5-Boozer will not put up 20 and 20

So what will get the Jazz the win?

1-Keep attacking the rim, get to the line, and MAKE at least 75%-80% foul shots, hopefully better
    2-Williams has to stay out of foul trouble, we all know what happens when Knight steps on the floor
    3-We need a solid performance from D Will, and at least in the neighborhood of 20 and 12 from Boozer
    4-Perimeter shots. Who is going to step up and hit some shots?
    5-AK, Brewer, CJ, Millsap. We need someone to step up and be the X factor.
    6-Defend the 3. L.A. will keep shooting them.
    7-Rebound-Jazz 55 L.A 40 last game
    8-Get out and run- That is when the Jazz are at their best

These may seem obvious, but it would equal a victory

• OBVIOUSLY THE D NEWS
    April 24, 2009 2:12 p.m.

doesn't like my comments. They aren't vulgar, they aren't bringing anyone down, just telling it the way I see it. Kobe can't do anything when the pressure's on. I think the JAZZ finally see that, and I predict a win Saturday. It'll go 7, and the 7th we'll be back in LA, and because the playoff's will be Laker-Cavs (because of Kobe and LeBron) I see the refs totally giving the 7th game to LA.

Come one JAZZ, I know you can do it. I have every bit of faith in you, and if the games go the way of my prediction, at least know that there are true fans here that are behind you win or lose. Just play your hearts out, and we'll know you did your best and love ya for it.

GO JAZZ !!!!!!!!!

• Anthony
    April 24, 2009 2:10 p.m.

I suggested to have Stockton to back up Dwill two weeks ago. He did just that. Thank you!!! Stockton forever!!!

• ShaQ
    April 24, 2009 2:09 p.m.

I curse you Lakers/Fans with the curse of the Big Cactus!! Shaq 1 championship......Lakers NONE. Deal with it!

• Tacos
    April 24, 2009 2:08 p.m.

No Tacos for you Laker fans!

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 2:07 p.m.

Magnus hit it right on the head. Why is Denver better defensively? They were horrendous last year, but they got a leader point guard to keep them in line, but they also have 2 shot blockers sitting in the paint waiting to volleyball spike any shot that comes their way. Boozer has no center that blocks shots and he is already undersized. So while he deserves some of the blame, it is unfair to put it all on Boozer.

• The Truth
    April 24, 2009 2:05 p.m.

@ Magnus....how about if Carlos were just 3 inches taller!! then Gasol would struggle to even score! to real LA fans/the Lakers I curse you with the Magnus curse and in case you didn't know what that means....it means one of your players is going to get injured! lol. Maybe not against the Jazz?, but the Magnus curse is coming...To all the Laker Jazz bandwagon fans, um I mean now to all the Cavalier bandwagon fans......enjoy!! (Kobe will not win another ring! Karma is out to get him.)

• Jazzguru@truth
    April 24, 2009 2:04 p.m.

I agree, but Boozer is not the one guarding Kobe, so how is that his fault? He is not a shot blocker, and we should not ask him to be, that is not his game. I am not ready to crown the guy as defensive player of the year, but even on Powerhouse on the radio just now they talked about how much energy he played with and how good his defense was. Sure there were times where his defense slipped, but I think it is unfair that he had the performance he did, and Jazz fans still rip him instead of giving credit where credit is due. That is not meant to rip into your comments, I just think Boozer deserves credit. He was on his game last night moreso than any other Jazz players.

• magnus
    April 24, 2009 1:47 p.m.

@ Truth

I think you are right about Boozers D, but if he had a solid defensive Center backing him up, alot of his current problems could probably be overlooked.

If only Millsap were 3 inches taller....

• jeff
    April 24, 2009 1:41 p.m.

Is there any point guard in the leage that runs a worse fast break than d- will. He is a great player but he turns the ball over and makes bad passes constantly. At least thats what I see anyway!

• I went to bed. AND MISSED It
    April 24, 2009 1:36 p.m.

Man I was tired, the Jazz were getting schooled in the 3rd Q. so I decided that the Jazz were done and I was to sad and tired to watch my boy's get punk-ed again, so off to bed I went. Man this morning I see that the JAZZ came back and worked out a good WIN !! Very COOL, stay after the lakers and you will win, you proved you can. Yes it is an up hill battle playing the league darlings the "lakers" {who because of there market place get the benefit of the doubt call's} as well as the league directed Ref's who always call in the Lakers favor. Man it is very hard to watch the "TNT"-NBA smack down with the scripted fowl call's that always mysteriously go to the team who will draw the biggest T.V. audience. Makes you say HUMMMMMM.....

• magnus
    April 24, 2009 1:28 p.m.

what is sad is how many Laker fans feel like it would be a good use of their time to read articles about the Utah Jazz and talk trash about their comments in their newspaper.

But hey who am I to talk about wasting time, Laker fans make some decent point, too bad they are such wankers.

• The Truth
    April 24, 2009 1:25 p.m.

@ magnus, your last post was probably one of your best...breaking down the Milsap vs Odum matchup classic!!

@ Jazz guru. Yes Boozer was playing more physical, his defensive effort is better and his defense in the last 5 minutes was the best I've seen him play. The trap on Kobe with Brewer was unbelievable. (Then the Lakers get a layup on Milsap's mistake on the inbounds play. Ouch.)

For the record. Jazz down 12 when Carlos left the game with 2:35 in the third and they were up by 2 when he checked in at the 5:22 mark (thanks to Espn's play by play). Jazz won by 2.

Here is my final take for the day, unless someone wants to call me out for speaking the honest truth.

Here is what you get with Carlos.......Carlos's offense will win you a lot of games but his defense will keep you from winning a championship! (unless, and here is the key, he plays D like he did in the last 4 minutes of the game on a consistant basis the WHOLE GAME JAZZ FANS)

• Sad . .
    April 24, 2009 1:22 p.m.

hwo jazz fans talk all this trash when they won by two points at home. Sad how the lakers shot poorly and still managed to be up by 13 at one point. Hey refs try making it an equal contest this time huh? Hey jazz fans stop with you sideline reffing with your arms in a traveling motion everytime a laker has the ball. Sad how the lakers will take the series and this will be but a small moment in your life. PEACE!

• re:re:Kobe is a crybaby
    April 24, 2009 1:19 p.m.

Your "Mvp" shot 41% in the finals last year. Funny, he dogs on guys like Malone and Stockton for not winning a title when they had to go through Michael Jordan, yet, without Shaq, how many titles has Kobe won? Yeah and your "Mvp" let his team blow a 24 point lead at home in the finals last year. Kobe aint won a 'ship without Shaq, who was the best player on the team not Kobe during those years, and Kobe aint winnin' it this year either. There's your Mvp. Oh, and nice 5-23 last night too. That was priceless. I just hope no one was hurt from that last pathetic three he chucked up last night. I think it might have broken part of the backboard.

• THE BEST
    April 24, 2009 1:18 p.m.

part of posting to this website is when the lakers take the series and my post will be the only on here. Enjoy your 24 hour highlite. This will be ghost town. And then all you jazz homers who were talking all this trash will be irrelivent. Good night now.

Greeting FROM CROWN TOWN CORONA CA
    LAKER TOWN HERE!!!

• THE TRUTH
    April 24, 2009 1:14 p.m.

Jazz fans argue about class and ego's because they have no banners in their arena that say WORLD CHAMPIONS. They can't find anyhting else to say, even then they have no credibility. Who are they to say someone has a huge ego problem or whatever? How would you know these players sittuations? Your from is from butville UTah? Phil Jackson has no class? He's probably one of the greatest minds in basketball. So jazz fans keep your hillbilly comments to yourself, because you don't know what your talking about.

• Boozer class act
    April 24, 2009 1:14 p.m.

Boozer is a good player, smart player and acts like an intelligent person. All reports say he practices hard and worked hard in rehab. To his credit kept his mouth shut even with all the critisim flying his way.

Where ever he plays next year that team will be better off.

If given the choice however, I would choose other power forwards over Boozer who could say healthy and provide more leadership and toughness.

Boozer acts like he cares to much about looking good and people liking him. I think he could mentally and physically let it all hang out for his team much more.

I'm no Boozer hater. He good, but, not great. I think he's a shape person, and the Jazz could do alot worse.

• Kobe
    April 24, 2009 1:13 p.m.

"Jazz fans should learn by now, all the heckling and harassment just makes me play better, you would think they would know that by now."

Way to follow up those comments with a 5-23 performance Kobe. Not to mention you about broke the backboard with that last 3 point shot. Bring it on Kobe. We will be waiting at ESA!

• re: HEy TODD
    April 24, 2009 1:10 p.m.

Typical Laker fan. Blame the refs. The Jazz played poorly too. D will sucked until the end. They could not buy a foul shot. Korver was 4-13. Booz played well and Harpring gave a lift. The Lakers have blown 3 leads now. You think they will win the championship? Is that what champions do? If that what a "#1" seed does? They are not suppose to let the "8th" seed come back on them and almost steal game too, then come back and win game 3. I learned a lot about the Lakers this past week. I was ready to crown them the champs going into the playoffs, but I do not think they have the heart or focus. I do not think the Jazz will win this series, I am a Jazz fan and I will admit who the better team is, but I will call it now, the Lakers WILL NOT win it this year. Jazz even this up 2-2 on Saturday. Mark it down now. The Jazz will not go easily.

• To The Lakers
    April 24, 2009 1:05 p.m.

Kobe Bryant - You sure looked relaxed last night
    Derek Fisher - I love ya man, but it's our turn
    Andrew Bynum - Big Boob
    Sasha Vujacic - Little Boob
    Pau Gasol - luckiest traded person ever lived. Memphis to L.A.
    Trevor Ariza - L.A. Crowd Pleeza
    Luke Walton - You're not as obnoxious as your dad.
    Lamar Odom - L.A's most frustrating player
    Shannon Brown - You're in Our Town
    Jordon Farmar - Earrry
    Josh Powell - We have a lake here by the same name.

• RE: Kobe is a cry baby
    April 24, 2009 1:01 p.m.

yeah because crying makes you the MVP in the NBA. What planet are you jazzercise fans on? To make my point even better was last night watching the game and seeing all these dorks with their jazz jerseys over their shirt and tie work shirts, screaming and standing up with their alligator arms about every little foul against the jazz. Here's some reality for you! You are so giddy about this win by 2 points at home. Oh and boozer has one good game and now he's back! HAHAHA

• HEy TODD
    April 24, 2009 12:58 p.m.

the lakers played poorly and the jazz won by 2 points. That's the reality of it. The refs were giving everything to the jazz. I love it how the jazz fans act start popping off like they aren't an 8th seed or anything. Know your place and know that it will all be over soon.

• Jazzguru @ the truth
    April 24, 2009 12:56 p.m.

You do not think Booz played better defense last night? If it was not great you have to admit it was at least better and pretty good on Gasol. Sometimes he let Gasol get too deep, and yes, he was in foul trouble last night, that is why Sloan pulled him. I agree with you that he did not play great defense but he was playing wayyyyyyy better pick and roll defense and he gave Gasol some fits and had more intensity.

• The Truth
    April 24, 2009 12:48 p.m.

I will give it up to Jerry for taking Ariza out of his game by putting AK on him. Brilliant! (that was for those of you who think that I am still in Todd's camp when it comes to Jerry!!) Now lets do that to Odum with Harpring! Brewer has been playing sound D on Kobe. If Miles can spell him for a few that would be great. I would like Jerry to give Brewer a few post ups to try and draw a foul on Kobe instead of bricking another 15 footer. And to those of you who still have your rose colored glasses on thinking the Jazz have a chance in this series I will give you the honest truth.....Jazz can't win in LA!! The Lakers will win in SLC before the Jazz will win in LA....re: same defensive problems.....that doesn't mean I'm not a Jazz fan. I'm just not a complete Jazz Homer....you know the kind who think the Jazz never foul and the only reason they lose is because of the REFS!!

• RE: Same Defensive Problem
    April 24, 2009 12:36 p.m.

by the truth....

Did you even watch the 2nd half of the game or were you sleeping and woke up and read the paper and looked at the stats! The Lakers put what 29 points up the third quarter and were up by what 13 points until Booz went out of the game. It was his defense from the bench that got the Jazz back in the game!! Because he played most of the 4th quarter,not, when the Jazz held the Lakers to 18 points. What an idiot. Booz is hardly ever in foul trouble because he is always late on the rotation and hardly if ever gives a hard foul. He has more o'lay Defense than anyone else on the Jazz save Memo? But you are right what we need is irrational fans who think Booz is now, after one game, a defensive stopper! and or back!! I guess it's to much to ask for booz to play the kind of defense it takes to win a championship? Magnus is right in that odum (and I would argue Gasol as well) are the key to the Lakers success vs the Jazz. Kobe will be Kobe.

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 12:34 p.m.

What I meant was if the Jazz win this next game then we have a 2-2 series, with 3 possible games left. So let's even this thing up on Saturday Jazz, and come on fans!! Let's get behind our team, the crowd was great, I was at the game and the place was electric and deafening loud. If we even the series, then we have every reason to be optimistic. The Jazz are very capable of winning this next game. They need to step it up another notch even from last game. D Will and Booz need to bring it and they need Korver, Millsap, Brewer, AK. At least a couple of them to have very good games. COME ON JAZZ! We believe. Take care of home court!

• magnus
    April 24, 2009 12:31 p.m.

@ Truth

I was actually quite suprised as I watched Millsap, because he is such a hustle player and so strong on the boards, but Odom was really eating his lunch on the glass, even when Millsap wasn't trying to help out Odom was beating him to the position way too often.

One thing that Sloan constantly talks about is how the young players have a hard time knowing what to do in alot of situations, I think that really shows in the Jazz team defense. You can tell they are taught what they should do, but they just don't execute very well. Millsap has some real difficulties in helpside defense, he's probably been watching Boozer too much, but most of it is just that it just takes several years to really learn how to do it effectively. That's why young teams typically have so much trouble in the playoffs, veterans just play better D, and they know how the exploit the defensive mistakes that all young guys make.

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 12:30 p.m.

@Glass is half full

Actually Boozer has had good games in all 3 games of the series. He had this one game where he killed it. Just remember, D Will was not himself for a long time when he came back from injury.

As for the series. As a Jazz fan what makes me a little optimistic is not just this game that the Jazz won, but the fact that the Lakers have shown how they will let the Jazz back in games. The Jazz winning this series is a long shot, but I personally am excited because if the Jazz win the game, the way I look at it is at least just protect home court, if we do that, we give ourselves a chance to steal one and pull a miracle off in L.A.

Do I think this is likely? No I do not, I expect that the Lakers will prevail in the series. However am I optimistic? You bet I am. If the Jazz keep attacking the rim the way they have they have a chance to win. They need D Will and Booz to play well, and have at least a couple role players too.

• todd from santa ana
    April 24, 2009 12:21 p.m.

The main key to the game last night was the play of the roll players. Collins drew a foul on Bynum, Korver finally hit a couple big shots after missing so many, Miles had a big three, although I will not mention his next 3 point attempt. Knight even looked good. He really pushed the tempo. He really closed out on Shannon Brown not letting him get any open looks like in game 1 an game 2. Now the next game, I look for these guys to keep it up. The Jazz win the next game if they show up.

• get real jazz fans
    April 24, 2009 12:15 p.m.

you won the game but that doesn't matter. Its the series that matters and that belongs to the lakers. they will win game 4 and 5 and then you jazz fans will be sitting watching the team you hate the most in the playoffs while you sit on the couch.

• todd to tim
    April 24, 2009 12:05 p.m.

"houdini" one game after not hearing from you in week or so, and now you appear out of the closet and personally attack me....Not good idea...I am always there good and bad. You may not agree with me and vice versa, but respect each other "houdini" if you have a good take i will compliment., my mind will not change on Sloan. But i did not go there I wanted to focus on last nights good effort-you ruined it for many of us--"houdini" besides you live in west jordan

• Glass is half-full
    April 24, 2009 11:59 a.m.

First, Boozer had 1--yes ONE--game, and now everyone is saying he is back. I don't think one good performance means he is back to stay. Second, Kobe had ONE bad game and suddenly Jazz fans think this series is now theirs. I guess we'll wait to see on Sat. I think everyone is suddenly being overly optimistic about the Jazz and this series. Last week, everyone was burrying this team and calling for trades. Heck, tickets were still available the day of the game Thurs.

• todd to imposter 1041 am
    April 24, 2009 11:56 a.m.

please stop, it is not me. "houdini" or "tim" let us see you lived in San Diego. "outsider" you may not want to go there.....I had several good posts deleted. I will try tonight when off work, tomorrow is such a pivotable game. Carlos definitely played a "great" overall game last night.

• Rich
    April 24, 2009 11:48 a.m.

Not one word on how Boozer most helped the Jazz win: His defense. I've never seen him play such unselfish defense or steal the ball from a top-quality opponent as much. Or help his teammates by playing team D and trusting the others to pick up his man. Except for eight or 10 times when he let Gasol post up within eight feet of the basket Boozer did great on D. THAT is why the Jazz won. His offense was a bonus.

• KJ
    April 24, 2009 11:44 a.m.

I admit, it's humorous to hear pretty much crickets from the "Boozer Haters" on this board today. It only goes to show that any fan is prone to be fair-weather. One poster said it best when he or she mentioned most Jazz fans are guilty of "irrational exuberance over an exceptional backup," in regards to Millsap. Boozer is the guy the Jazz need (there will always be quasi Millsaps out there) and because of a mix of his own interests and a bunch of venom spit in his face all season long from some nonsensical fans, the team probably loses him in the offseason. As a non-Jazz fan, I say good luck to Booze in his future pursuits. I also wish Millsap luck too, because when they turn on you, mercy is not an option...unless you win a la Boozer last night, that is.

• LUCKY
    April 24, 2009 11:33 a.m.

Jazz are still taking a lot of outside jump shots, bad passes in the paint, and playing inconsistent defense in the paint. If Kobe had an average night Jazz would of lost by 20 points again. I credit this win to Kobe having a bad night along with Boozer's rebounds.

• @Observation-ist
    April 24, 2009 11:30 a.m.

You would trade a young Ronnie Brewer for an old broken down Raja Bell? There is a reason why the only gm you will ever be will be NBA Live on X box.

• Bow down Jazz fans
    April 24, 2009 11:27 a.m.

It took Williams 2 months to look like himself. You are all saying. "Boozer is finally bringing it." Well, he finally has recovered from his injury. Just tell me, what does this guy have to do? He played well on defense last night, converted down the stretch on key hoops, hit 2 clutch foul shots, embarassed Gasol on tv with a nasty dunk in traffic. So what do you dillusional Jazz fans want? The REAL Jazz fans appreciate Boozer and understand his situation. So let's hear the apologies Boozer haters. What do you have to say now? Good JOb BOOOOOOZ!! REAL FANS LOVE YA HERE IN SLC!!!! Through good and bad!

• Bob in LA
    April 24, 2009 11:25 a.m.

OK, I actually read all the posts. Does ANYONE actually expect Kobe to play the same way on Saturday? I love the optimism of the Jazz fans (as unrealistic as it is). I will say, as a true purple & gold Lakers fan, I hate the vulgar fan chants wherever they happen. I wish Salt Lake City would set the best example of real fans. I don't like to take kids to these games for that sole reason...

• @ The truth
    April 24, 2009 11:24 a.m.

sic-Odom

This guy knows his basketball

• RE: RE: Merry Christmas
    April 24, 2009 11:24 a.m.

Yes, I would take Derek Fisher before I'd take Deron Williams. He has been a major apart of our CHAMPIONSHIP RUNS in the past. If you don't think he is so great why are Jazz fans still whining about him going to the Lakers in an effort to help his daughter.

You all have made comments about the Jazz team in the last serveral weeks that were anything but complimentary! The things that you are saying about the Lakers not having any killer instinct are what you have said about your own team. As far as roster, I think you would take anyone that would deliver a championship...I wonder what Carlos Boozer is thinking about the Cleveland Cavaliers now...maybe he should have stayed!! They are playing with killer instinct.

Yes, I know, Jazz fans want anyone but the Lakers to win the Championship. I get it! Let's see...what team did Karl Malone go to trying to get the champsionship that eluded him in Utah....none other than the "hated" Lakers. (It didn't work out but at least he tried...)

• STEVE-O
    April 24, 2009 11:24 a.m.

To Kobe Bryant,

It seemed like the heckling and noise and pressure of the ESA fans didn't "relax" you or make you play any better! Seemed like you couldn't get yourself going the entire game. Hope you keep jacking up shots next game though!

• re: Same defensive problem
    April 24, 2009 11:23 a.m.

The Lakers shot 36% from the field and Boozer did not just show on the pick and roll like he normally does, he stayed and quite often helped trap Kobe. How do you think it is the same defensive effort when the Lakers scored 33 points less this game than the last? Just plain Mathematics do not support your arguement.

@The truth

Boozer did play very well on defense. You have to understand certain situations too, he was in foul trouble. What do you want him to do? Reach? Foul someone hard? Yeah, then he can really help after he has fouled out. SOME JAZZ FANS ARE SO IGNORANT and do not understand the game. Go root for the Lakers "Truth" because we do not need Jazz fans like you!

• Re: !972
    April 24, 2009 11:19 a.m.

And neither will Williams have back to back bad games. No doubt the Jazz can even this up.

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 11:18 a.m.

@Role players

D Will for sure did not play well most of the game last night, but I do not think gutless is the word. He looked gassed to me, he played his heart out the first two games. I expect a much stronger performance Saturday. He showed his true colors by hitting the game winner though.

• Observation-ist
    April 24, 2009 11:16 a.m.

The only players I would trade LA for are Andrew Bynum or Pau Gasol. We need a defensive presence in the middle. The player I would really like back is Raja Bell. He fits my model for a #2: Hard Nose Defense and can score when needed.

He wanted to leave to play for Phoenix but I wish he would consider playing here again. I'd give up every #2 on the current roster for Raja.

Other than those two changes, I like our current roster WHEN THEY PLAY HARD AND TOUGH. Go Jazz!!

• Desire was there....
    April 24, 2009 11:04 a.m.

for once with Boozer this year he demonstrated what he is capable of. I hope it is consistent and that he is not a hit and miss type as many of us had him pegged. If we can do it at home, we can do it elsewherel. It is mental and psychological. Fix this and we have a very comptiitive team. Now, get Memo fixed and we will have a victory in this series. The Lakers were obviously off theri game for some reason last night, which helped. thank you D Will and Carlos and the rest of the team for you effors to beat the best in the NBA.

• The Truth @ Magnus
    April 24, 2009 10:54 a.m.

I think Milsap has been doing ok with odum one on one, however, he seems to get out of position at times covering for others defensive mistakes allowing Odum to get to the offensive glass. I do agree that Harpring seems to get into Odum's head and the Jazz could go with Harpring at the 4, if he is hitting shots, when Odum is playing there. It seems like Booz goes 20/20 and nobody sees the real underlying issue for the Jazz. How to stop the lakers offense. when they need a basket, they put Booz in a pick and roll everytime. Carlos stepped it up 2 times in the 4th on pick and roll defense. Look at the tape, most of the night Kobe is getting on top of the basket because of Booz. For the Jazz to win the series, Booz, Milsap and Collins need to play better pick and roll defense as well as push the Laker's bigs out of the paint. A hard foul or two instead of giving up dunks and layups would be nice. Jazz need to play twice as good to win game 4. Can they do that?

• Randall
    April 24, 2009 10:52 a.m.

Get Your J'zz On For Game Four!

• magnus
    April 24, 2009 10:49 a.m.

@ It's simple fans

The problem with your logic is that the Lakers as a team are being paid $10 Mil more than Jazz players.

furthermore, by your "quantity of $$$"="quality of play" metric the Jazz would quite literally be the worst team in the playoffs, as they have the lowest team salary of the teams still playing.

The Jazz need to play beyond their pay if they are going to win this series.

• todd from santa ana
    April 24, 2009 10:41 a.m.

I think the victory to a game 4 upset is to start Collins, Koufus, and Fesenko down low!! Yay, go Jazz we need to have Knight play more minutes as well, he is the key to victory-atleast 30 minutes a game from him

• STEVE-O
    April 24, 2009 10:40 a.m.

Bynum is a little baby. If he'd stop running through people and throwing his sissy forearms maybe he's be able to play more than 7 minutes a game.
    Boozer was very impressive last night. I loved to see the Jazz players getting fired up because that fire seemed to be missing. Get one more on Saturday and we're in business!

• Chadders
    April 24, 2009 10:31 a.m.

I told you everyone would be getting back on the bandwagon. If we didn't have the 3rd quarter of us not trying I would have been right that we would have blown them out of the building. I'm thinking in game 4 we win by 8-10 and then it's on. The Lakers have a lot of talent. But as we all saw with my Cowboys last year talent alone doesn't always win. The Lakers are mentally weak. If calls aren't going their way they pout and kinda give up. I think this Jazz team is slowly but surely realizing what we've all been busting their balls about. Play with effort every game, defend, attack the other team, etc. If we keep driving on them we will win this series. Good win just 3 more to go! GO JAZZ GO!

• Miles
    April 24, 2009 10:25 a.m.

Boozer knows if he shows up big in the playoffs all will be forgotten about his injuries from other suitors. He will find a big contract from someone. As for me, I am a Boozer fan when he is on the court. Just because he is injury prone isn't something I blame him for. Just the makeup of his body type. Bill Walton was an unbelievable player who never made it due to his body breaking down early on him. But still a great player when on the court.

• The Truth @ Miles.
    April 24, 2009 10:25 a.m.

Boozer is one of the best defensive power forwards in the league baby!! His dunk was in the top 10 of all time Jazz playoff dunks!! Is that what you want more Booz MAN LOVE! maybe I should give you CJ MAN LOVE, CJ was awesome guarding KOBE! just like you said. I don't know why Sloan pulled him after only like 2 minutes in the second quarter! CJ is better than Kobe.....do you feel better? Booz did have a great game. Anytime you can go 20/20 thats unbelievable! But look at the second half, he gave up a ton of baskets on pick and roll defense and it wasn't until he came out of the game that the Jazz rallied to get back into it. Harpring was the man at that point. Booz had an unbelievable offensive and defensive last 4 minutes. If that's enough for Jazz fans then go ahead and settle for a first round exit!! and zero championships!! I'd say Booz is making a case for the Jazz to keep him over Memo. I don't think they can play together. If Booz duplicates game3 saturday, I'll get excited!!

• Same Defensive Problem
    April 24, 2009 10:22 a.m.

The facts are the facts.

When Boozer is on the floor this team generally stinks defensively.

Fortunately Boozer got his 4th foul and Sloan pulled him.

INSTANTLY the backup role players put the brakes on the Laker run because they played team defense and his some shots.

Sloan went to put Boozer back in and then had second thoughts and sent him back to bench. The run continued and we got back in the game. Prior to that the lineup with Boozer in had basically layed down for the Lakers.

Facts are facts. Boozers poor defense is contagious and his team mates play worse defensively when he is on the floor due to his poor effort.

Fortunatley his offense returned and we were able to continually score down the stretch and get the win. Laker defense is not that great and when we are clicking offensively we can be as good as anyone in the NBA.

I HAVE SLO MO REPLAY ON HY HD DVR AND BOOZER TOTALLY HOOKED GASOL ON THAT DUNK. IT WAS CLEARLY AN OFFENSIVE FOUL ON BOOZER THAT DID NOT GET CALLED.

Just saying.

• Jazz!!!
    April 24, 2009 10:21 a.m.

I am still skeptical about Boozer. He played awesome, but his contract signing is coming up soon too. I think the refs have been pretty good in this series, even in L.A. I am a huge fan of the Jazz, but I also realize that the Jazz have a very slim chance of winning this series. All I have to say is Phil Jackson is a loser. Grow up Jackson!!! Your team got outworked and outplayed last night. My prediction: Jazz will lose in 5 games unfortunately (I hope to be wrong). If we play the physical game rather than finesse, Jazz have a shot to win though. Lakers fans=follow the crowd. Let me guess, you are all probably NY Yankee fans too.

• Verdict's still out
    April 24, 2009 10:17 a.m.

On CJ Miles, the verdict is still out... He still does just as many stupid things as good things...one air ball and one huge 3 last night...what gives?

• It's Simple Fans
    April 24, 2009 10:05 a.m.

These Jazz players just need to play to their pay. Thats all! Big pay deserves BIG effort, and if we get that we will compete and make the Fakers do the same. Go Jazz.

• To merry Christmas jazz fans
    April 24, 2009 10:01 a.m.

Merry Christmas to us?? What team got pau gasol gift wrapped for christmas? You laker fans are so ignorant.... there's no way you can keep up with our fans. Jazz in 6!!!!

• Boozer
    April 24, 2009 10:01 a.m.

I love Boozer again! Carlos, stop playing with my heart man!

• JazzFan4ever
    April 24, 2009 9:59 a.m.

They can still play harder and better.There is still more to bring to the table...but nice to see them on track again.

• magnus
    April 24, 2009 9:58 a.m.

I thought it was a great effort all around.

Miles did a nice job defensively. I think this is the role that he should have been playing for some time now, and athletic swing man comming of the bench for 10-15 minutes a game.

The group that was on the court to start the third (Williams/Boozer/Brewer/Millsap/AK), let down pretty bad. I think it actually started with Millsap, he let Odom just have his way and that really got the Lakers going. Odom has been killing Millsap all series.

How about Matt Harpring!! I knew he was going to play a role in the playoffs. As of last night it looks like he is the only person on the Jazz team that can guard Odom, that alone makes him unbeleivably important.

The Jazz need Okur back badly, the offense just doesn't work as well without him and Gasol is just using Boozer and Millsap in the post. Okur did a pretty good job agaist Gasol last year.

The Jazz are still a long shot to win this series, but I love their effort, adn I love watching them play.

GO JAZZ!!!

• ya boy!
    April 24, 2009 9:49 a.m.

That arena was insane last night. Jazz proved they can play with and beat anyone. Kobe can say all he wants, but he didn't bring it and the Jazz did! The Fakers are at full strength...the Jazz haven't had Memo. I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that. Boozer stepped up big, now everyone can jump back on the bandwagon. It was only a matter of time. Jazz have some serious confidence now...watch out all you haters. Every player on the Jazz last night made a huge contribution from Matty, to AK, to Korver, to Booz, to Millsap to Dwill's last shot. WOW! I have been going to Jazz games for 20 years and that is the loudest I have ever heard it in there.

• The Optimist
    April 24, 2009 9:46 a.m.

As I Told you last week. It's beginning. Also, Last night is exactly why you don't want to let Boozer Go. Jazz in 6 or 7.

• Scouts?
    April 24, 2009 9:34 a.m.

Maybe Boozer played so hard because there were scouts from other teams there...

• Boozer
    April 24, 2009 9:28 a.m.

It took Deron a month to get back to full speed. I think Carlos is finally there. The Boozer Haters will NEVER be happy because they have cried and whined themselves into a corner. Do you truely believe that Millsap can replace Boozer? Irrational exuberance over an exceptional backup in my opinion.

• @Go Jazz - 8:56
    April 24, 2009 9:24 a.m.

I am no Kobe fan, by any stretch, but it is not just crying that gets him to the line. He goes to the line more often because he cuts to the basket more often. You are simply more likely to get foul calls when you are driving. Some nights, like last night, the defense is good enough that he can't make it to the basket, but there is no denying that Kobe is extremely athletic and clever, and that if there is a hole to the basket, he will find it and use it, either to score or to get to the line.

It doesn't mean I like it, but give some credit where credit's due.

• Role Players
    April 24, 2009 9:24 a.m.

Pretty simple. The stars are relatively consistent but role players play well at home.

Ariza and Brown did what last night? Not much.

Instead Harpring, AK, and Korver combined with some D from Brewer and surprise--a win!!

It looked like the Jazz were going to lay down in the 3rd though.

Good thing Deron made that shot at the end because other than that I thought his effort was pretty GUTLESS.

What star goes to the FT line and misses 4 of 5 shots?

What star gets an UNPRESSURED half court time violation?

Turnovers AGAIN at crucial times breaking his teams momentum?

Opportunities to push the ball/run/fast break and he WALKED up the floor!!

ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE!!

We almost lost this game BECAUSE of Derons weak effort.

I am not sure where his head was but for significant stretches of the game he was checked out.

Lack of concentration call it whatever you want but that was an absolutely poor performance (except the last shot) from a supposed leader in a do or die game.

The game NEVER should have been that close to begin with if he'd had better focus throughout.

Dodged a bullet.

• Hanging Chad
    April 24, 2009 9:20 a.m.

In the past I've been bagging on AK for spasmodic tendencies. I hoped yesterday when I heard of his start that he will play within his role of being a defensive nuisance, slasher, rebounder, and all-around player. Well, that's what he did. He played great and was the difference maker in the first half. His two outside jumpers he missed badly but when he slashed to the basket he scored or made good things happen. He's probably the most emotionally fragile player on the Jazz. I think starting suits him better for this round.

Props to Brewer and Miles for tough D on Kobe and to Booz and Sap for cleaning up the boards. This team is all about the Mojo. Saturday's game is not automatic but one more win and the Jazz may actually feel like they could win in LA.

• My Observations
    April 24, 2009 9:12 a.m.

I have busted Boozer chops ever since he has been back. His defensive performances in game 1 and game 2 were slightly better at times but still overall poor. His offense was obviously better.

Last night he simply gave it more effort and a miracle occurred--he got results. DUH!!!

He played the pick n roll better by showing and forcing the man back into the defense. He was a rebounding fool.

How about the spin move to the hoop on Gasol late? I thought Karl Malone had re-entered the building.

All that said, where's this effort/defense been for the last 25 games as his team muddled into the 8 seed?

Where has the spin move for a dunk instead vs. those weak garbage layups he has been putting up and getting blocked?

No reason he should not have been doing this for the last month EXCEPT now is the time to put up some stats for the CONTRACT WHEN HE OPTS OUT "FOR THE RAISE HE IS GETTING EITHER WAY!"

Never forget who you are dealing with people. A fragile, undersized, soft "power" forward who has played sat 1/3 of his games and coasts defensively.

• Miles
    April 24, 2009 9:02 a.m.

@ Truth: Boozer just had the game of his life and you are still ripping on him? That dunk at the end of the game was as good as it gets.

CJ and Brewer did an amazing job on Kobe in the 4th quarter. Boozer helped contain Kobe except for the pass to Pau for the dunk. The defense was good most of the game.

• Hey Miles!!!
    April 24, 2009 9:01 a.m.

Did you see how a "REAL STARTER" starts the game?

AK in a starting role made Miles look like the highschooler he was.

There is absolutely no comparison in what we got from AK vs what Miles normally gives us.

AK was all over doing everything.

AK quietly has accepted his secondary role off the bench and did it well until Booz came back and his minutes got whacked.

He deserves to be on the floor for 30 plus a night and CJ needs to take a seat.

AK showed up big to start the game and get us out of our patterns of slow starts.

• Heart & Intensity
    April 24, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Boozer played with a lot more heart and intensity last night. Will he keep it up?

• Miles
    April 24, 2009 8:57 a.m.

OK I was wrong about starting AK. He seemed to play better starting. Harpring, Korver and CJ were huge to start the 4th quarter. It wasn't looking good until Jerry put them in. I thought the key to the game is we did not foul in the last 4 minutes. Yes they got layups but we did not so the game down and take the crowd out of it by fouling on every possession. Boozer actually played to his potential and did what he is being paid to do. Be a star. Harpring shocked me that he still had some game in him. Korver's 3 to make it 76 - 79 was huge.

• GO JAZZ!!!
    April 24, 2009 8:56 a.m.

I like how the media gives the Jazz no credit... Kobe is a cry baby! He has made the whole league that way! Anytime I see a player cry about a foul I think of Kobe, because he has made an incredible NBA career by crying his way to the line 15-20 times a game. He can't win without Shaq! This Laker team has four other all stars bedsides Kobe and he can't manage to win it all! What a loser! Kobe should change his number to 22 because he'll always be below MJ. Don't worry Jazz fans the league would never let it's precious Fakers lose to the Jazz in the first round- look for Kobe to go to the line more than the Jazz in game 5 and 6.

• The Truth
    April 24, 2009 8:49 a.m.

Before everyone goes all gaga over Booz or hops back on the Booz bandwagon....remember this, the Lakers came out in the second half and went almost exclusively at Booz in pick and roll situations and they scored a lot. Booz was out of the game until his late charge on Offense in the 4th when the Jazz got back in the game. And it wasn't until the last 4 minutes of the game that Booz actually stepped out to guard Kobe on the pick and roll. Yes he actually can do it! So then I'm saying to my self, why doesn't he have a Garnett like championship mentality of playing Defense?? How much better would the jazz be if he played defense all the time. If Booz wants the big money, tell him to hustle and play defense like Milsap! Booz needs to play that big on O to make up for his D. Second point, what was that line-up to start the second qtr? (Momentum killer) have we seen that line-up before? I still don't like the fact that Jerry will take out his best players at the same time.

• Good win, BUT . . .
    April 24, 2009 8:48 a.m.

What's the point? The Jazz can't and won't win in LA. They have proven this point year-in and year-out! It's also interesting to see that eveybody is jumping back on the "bandwagon."

• re:Cj's airball
    April 24, 2009 8:46 a.m.

Did you see the three he made to help spark the comeback?

• Re: Merry Christmas
    April 24, 2009 8:44 a.m.

I would not in a million years ever want Kobe with the Jazz. And if he ever was - I would no longer be going to the games. The man is arrogant, selfish and egotistical. I want players I am proud to have my kids look up to. How can anyone want their kid to grow up to be just like Kobe? No thanks!!

My kids can grow up to be just like Deron.

• Ernie
    April 24, 2009 8:44 a.m.

The switching rosters idea is interesting. Which one will be better in the future? Me thinks that Deron is going to continue to get better. Kobe has peaked. Jazz are younger. The funny thing is that the Jazz had the superior roster before Gasol was gift wrapped to the worlds biggest glamor city. What was up with that anyway! The NBA couldn't have a another small market team (like the Spurs) dominate for another decade. There is much more money if the Lakers are the beasts.

The fix is in, if you don't beleive me, watch last years final loss to the Lakers. Funny how the officiating went totally one sided when it looked like the Jazz were going to win. There has been too many gifts for the Lakers. My forecast is that if the Jazz get too close to taking it from the NBA's Star Lakers, a little help will emerge.

• Quote of the night
    April 24, 2009 8:42 a.m.

"The Key was we only allowed 86 points" Boozer made that statemnet in the post game interview. How long has it taken him and the Jazz to figure that out??? Sloan has preached it all year!!! Now they finaly listen??

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 8:40 a.m.

D Will did miss free throws all game which hurt, he passed up an open 15 foot baseline jumper. and had an off night, BUT he showed the superstar that he is when he hit the one that mattered the most. A fadeaway with Odom right in his face. That was a great shot. If the Jazz are going to win on Saturday here is what I think they need to do:

1-Attack the hoops and get to the line. They have done a great job at this really all series. They have managed to get to the line. THEY HAVE TO MAKE FOUL SHOTS. Getting to the line is not enough, they need to connect at the line, that almost cost them last night.

2-Bring the same effort. Everyone played hard, but they need to bring it the whole game, they cannot have another let down like this game.

3-Williams needs to have a better game and Booz needs to have a good game. He needs to rebound and stay out of foul trouble.

4-Korver, Miles and Brewer have to knock down some outside shots to keep the defense honest.

I am out of space.

• !972 Lakers
    April 24, 2009 8:33 a.m.

Nice win by the Jazz!!! but Kobe won't have back to back bad games...Lakers in 5

• CJ's airball
    April 24, 2009 8:29 a.m.

Did you guys all see that airball by CJ Miles in the fourth quarter? He is the most worthless player on the Jazz. Absolutely worthless. When his contract in Utah expires, he will be out of the league. Good move, Jazz. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on.

• Observation-ist
    April 24, 2009 8:24 a.m.

Now we know. Boozer CAN play defense. When he puts his mind to it, he can be a factor on defense. Thank you Carlos! I appreciate the effort. It wasn't a lack of skill or talent, or knowledge. It's effort and I appreciate you bringing it.

Perhaps should you choose to stay in Utah, we can construct your next contract with incentives that reward defensive effort. Just a thought.

I'm glad Deron hit the game-winner. Perhaps in a year or two, we can have another John-Stockton-type series winner that propels us to the NBA championship. Keep it up Deron.

Role player play better at home. Now if Jerry can figure out a way to have his role players step up on the road, I'll be elated and hopeful for a championship one day.

Between the axiom that role players play better at home and AK's effort, Trevor Ariza came back to earth. Great Job AK. I still prefer you in the role of Manu Ginobli but you were helpful starting tonight. Thanks for the effort.

• re:Merry Christmas
    April 24, 2009 8:21 a.m.

You hate the Jazz right? But you can't tell me you would not give up Derek Fisher for Deron Williams. That is the dumbest comment I think I may have ever read!

• Tim Johansen aka Houdini
    April 24, 2009 8:19 a.m.

miles another no show...oh except for the cinder blocks he threw up and slap fouls,you`ll notice after Harpring came in a gave his 3 fouls,the lakers quit going to the hole,todd I`m here in Riverton,wanna come "visit"...didn`t think so,all talk,Go JAZZ,GO SLC,GO JERRY SLOAN,Support Our Team,pay no mind to the clueless outsider

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 8:07 a.m.

I have to laugh about a post that someone made on one of these articles yesterday. Whoever it was hit it right on the head. They said that the Jazz would win, and Phil Jackson would refer to the refs, and that is the first thing he did in the interview that I watched. This guy disgusts me. He is the Bill Bellicheck of the NBA, NO CLASS! Laker fans talk about Jazz fans having no clas, but we are fans, Jackson is the leader of your orginization and has NO CLASS and never gives credit to any of his opponents. Phil Jackson is an over rated coach anyway. He has always had the cream of the crop for talent to win his titles. His team should have won the championship last year with the talent he has, not to mention 2004.

• John Wicks
    April 24, 2009 8:00 a.m.

What a stellar performance from MIles!!!!!

• @Merry Christmas Jazz Fans
    April 24, 2009 7:51 a.m.

It's the lazy man's way out to say that your team gave the game away. I personally didn't see any lessening of effort by a great Lakers team last night. The Jazz merely hustled and muscled their way back into the game. The Lakers worked hard, and just got beat by the better team last night.

As for switching rosters any day, also a lazy argument. I, personally, would take Lamar Odom over Okur, but I wouldn't ever trade for Kobe. I know he's probably one of the best to play the game, but I wouldn't want the ego issues that come with it (although I must give him credit for being a lot more sharing with the ball in recent years - shows maturity as a player). Also, I think most Jazz fans like the Jazz style of play, and there is no room for a Kobe-type player in a Jazz scheme.

• Boozer
    April 24, 2009 7:49 a.m.

Booz played Pao well last night! Good job Booz! He looked very active on defense. Booz is back baby! Booz has played well all 3 games. Let's bring it Saturday too baby!

• re:Boozer disliker
    April 24, 2009 7:46 a.m.

How long did it take D will to be right after his injury? And if you watched any of the game last night you would see that Boozer defended Gasol very well. Always a negative person even after a game like that. Booz is the one that really gave them a shot to win, without this performance the Jazz would be down 3-0. GOOD JOB BOOZ!!!!! THE REAL FANS LOVE YOU!!!!

• ctoe
    April 24, 2009 7:42 a.m.

Boozer finally played with great "Effort". If he were to play that way for the rest of the series, we may have a chance against the Lakers. Also, what a great game for AK, Brewer, Milsap and Harpring. D-Will was obviously having an off day, but his "effort" level was still way high. "Effort" is what we have lacked from many on this team for the past month.Boozer in particular. Go Jazz....

• re: Merry Christmas
    April 24, 2009 7:39 a.m.

If we could trade you rosters we would in a heart beat? What kind of comment is that? So would you have traded rosters with the Celtics after they completley smoked you last year in the finals. Let's save the space on these posts for less stupid comments! And No, I would not trade you rosters. Jazz for life baby! Keep being bitter that your team blew another lead!

• Jazzguru@Miles
    April 24, 2009 7:32 a.m.

I have not seen you on here yet Miles but I wanna give a shout out to your boy CJ! Miles gave the Jazz a good lift, he hit a HUGE three that got the crowd going and he was physical with Kobe for the couple of possesions that he guarded him, and I am ok with the foul, he did not let Kobe push him around in the post. He missed the one 3 badly, but I thought that three really got the crowd going (THe one he made) and he played hard on defense. Miles did a good job in the few mins he played.

• What????
    April 24, 2009 7:30 a.m.

Boozer played defense? BOOZER PLAYED DEFENSE!!!!

• Jazzguru
    April 24, 2009 7:29 a.m.

Good job by Boozer and not just on offense. He was scrappy on defense, he was active all night! That looked like the Boozer we have all come to know before his injury! I have always been a supporter of his, and I am not just saying that because of this game. The Jazz need to resign this guy. As much as I love Millsap, there is no way he could have made that move that Booz made last night and posterize Gasol!! Good job Booz! Way to step up, 23 pts. 22 boards! We need more of that on Saturday! Now Jazz, let's hit some foul shots huh? GO JAZZ! By the way, Booz stepped up and hit 2 HUGE free throws to go up 2 with under 2 minutes left, this after Williams, Brewer and Millsap could not buy a foul shot! Good team effort, I am proud of the way the team fought back. We did some good things, we did some things we need to improve on, like free throws, and maintaining the 13 point lead we had too, but a W is a W and the next game is a new game. Go Jazz!

• Grammer?
    April 24, 2009 7:26 a.m.

Where was the editor for this story? Could we please fix the countless grammatical errors prior to publishing the article?

Well, at least the Jazz won.

• re:Merry Christmas Jazz fans
    April 24, 2009 7:23 a.m.

I hope you enjoyed the poster that Boozer put Gasol on last night buddy! Barkley hit it right on last night. The Lakers are vulnerable. They let teams back in games. No killer instinct. That will bite them! I would take our fans over Laker fans any day, a bunch of rich celebrities that do not even pay attention to the game and are just there to be seen and for the social part. Jazz fans are passionate what is wrong with being passionate? I loved the chant, LAKERS SUCK! LAKERS SUCK! Let's go Jazz! Let's even this up on Saturday!!!! Jazz Pride baby!! And yes, WE ARE NASTY! AND PROUD OF IT!!

• Go for it
    April 24, 2009 7:20 a.m.

Let's upset the Lakers

• Boozer Disliker
    April 24, 2009 6:33 a.m.

It's not nice to hate, but where was this emotion during the few games he did play during the season?

If he had played like this they would have had the 3 or 4 seed.

He rebounds great but doens't play defense so?

• Mailman48
    April 24, 2009 5:26 a.m.

Russia is all excited! But Jazz has to improve its defence more and I hope that was the last bad shooting night for D-Will.

Jazz can beat anyone in the NBA. If only there is going to be enough heart and desire.

• In Sandy
    April 24, 2009 5:26 a.m.

cold Kobe? That was nice - hope he stays that way at ES. Where is Nemo (Memo), hope to see you Playing Saturday night. I was so tired working all day and fell asleep at 3rd Q - Dang missed the rest. A win is a W - way to go! Oh so glad we won't see the broom in LA!

• todd from santa ana
    April 24, 2009 4:49 a.m.

Okay i changed my mind, now i hate the Jazz!

• Manila Jazz
    April 24, 2009 4:02 a.m.

Way to go for everybody in the Jazz team! This proves that teamwork (with everybody giving their all and trusting each other) makes things happen. Everybody was clickin..AK47, Harpring, Brewer, Korver, Millsap. Hope to see Memo play on Saturday. That would really scare the fakers!

• CBOOZ
    April 24, 2009 3:30 a.m.

I always believe in Boozer he prooves its pation and its skills during all the three game.
    This is the best response he can give to all of you who criticize him.
    The game 4 will be important because if we want to win the serie we have to win all home game.

GO JAZZ AND GO BOOZER !!!

• Merry Christmas Jazz Fans!
    April 24, 2009 2:44 a.m.

The game was wrapped up and given to you! Lakers were leading by 13 points in the 4th quarter and blew it. I admit they didn't deserve to win playing like that and Carlos Boozer had an awesome game.

It cracks me up when I see on TV the "Get Nasty" Jazz signs. You don't have to get nasty...you are already there. Just listen to sports talk radio, TNT commentators...you have quite the reputation!

Jazz fans hate the Lakers no matter what! If all of you were given a chance to trade team rosters you would do it in a heartbeat!

Hope the Lakers do a better job on Saturday and then finish it off in California.

GO Lakers!

• Ainakls
    April 24, 2009 1:25 a.m.

Congratulations to the Jazz from Madrid, Spain.

Williams and Boozer are great, the comeback is nearer.

Go Jazz!

• Great atmosphere
    April 24, 2009 1:20 a.m.

As a Ute fan, I was on a string of exciting an intense atmospheres from the fall. However, I'd been going through withdrawals since Jan 2. Game 3 was a great fix...now looking for a ticket to Game 4. That was a tremendous atmosphere!

• Henry Drummond
    April 24, 2009 12:53 a.m.

It was nice to see Carlos play so well. Overall it was a very poor shooting night for both teams though. 88 to 86 isn't what you expect with all the scoring talent on both teams.

We'll see you all Saturday.

• 5-24
    April 24, 2009 12:39 a.m.

Not only did the Jazz win, but Kobe was 5 for 24. That's 20.8%. Not that DWill was much better at 3 for 7 and 7-12 from the line. If the Jazz can just get a win on Saturday.....

I hate the Lakers. I fully admit they are the better team, but I still hate them. I root for whoever plays the Lakers. My favorite was walking out of the stadium and the Laker's fans are talking trash after losing. Are you kidding?

• Boozer
    April 24, 2009 12:30 a.m.

I hope the Boozer haters heard him on the post game show on 1320AM. He said that we have the best fans in the league here. He is right. I couldn't hear myself think at the stadium tonight. Say what you want about Boozer, but he is the key to the Jazz having success. I think one thing fans forget is that it takes time to come back from injuries. It took DWill about 15-20 games to get back 100% from his injuries. That's about the same as Boozer, and now the last few games, win or lose, he has proved his worth to this team. I will admit that I was shocked by his solid defense on Gasol. I know he has it in him to play physical and solid, and I hope he brings it on Saturday as well.

• todd from santa ana
    April 24, 2009 12:27 a.m.

I love the Jazz so much! Way to reprezzzzzzzzent!!!

• anon
    April 24, 2009 12:16 a.m.

"
    How sweet it is!! " what a game! " what a boozer " now what will happen? was his game good enough tonight to sign Him to a nice fat contract? or will he move on? He played like a power forward that any team in the nba would love to sign him. I have mixed feelings about Him, but the jazz really needs carlos boozer. we will see.....

• Ben in WA
    April 24, 2009 12:15 a.m.

I have to say that I really am not a Boozer but he did an awesome job. But the game is really goes to Matt and Brewer. They were perfect games played them. CJ really screwed up a few times and glad AK got the start. I wish that Jerry would give Fes a chance to play. I loved how the crowed chanted Lakers suck.

• TODD FROM SANTA ANA
    April 24, 2009 12:12 a.m.

LAST ONE WAS A "BOGUS POST"''THAT WAS NOT ME, I WOULD NOT HAVE WROTE THAT MY TAKE WAS IN THOSE 2 POSTS. NICE TRY....

• todd from santa ana
    April 24, 2009 12:05 a.m.

i love the sloanaholics

• todd from santa ana
    April 24, 2009 12:00 a.m.

Is the Magic Back? Yes one game. However, what I saw tonight told me this: The Jazz have the capability of playing with the Lakers. I always said the Jazz have a lot of talent. Tonight, something I grew up with: Clutch Plays, fighting through adversity, and playing if not always great, 100 percent effort. That is what Made the Jazz for over 20 years.

Kirilenko starting was finally a good move for "jerry and his sloanaholics" Boozer did everything. He played respectable defense-proving like I said he could always.What a monster 2st half along with Paul. Brewer played very good D on Kobe. (Again I said Brewer athletically could be a 1st team all NBA defender when he wants to). This offset DWIL field goal struggles. The early 3s allowed to the Lakers looked like same old. However, overall a good 1st half.

I was concerned Sloan may have made a fatal error in the 3rd quarter. Luckily, the players energy and heart carried through.

The Jazz came out soft again. All of a sudden couple 3s get made by Lakers, Gasol has success vs Boozer.

More shortly.,

• jimbo
    April 23, 2009 11:59 p.m.

Is Boozer back? Did it just take him some time to be 100%?

• Anonymous
    April 23, 2009 11:56 p.m.

Yay Jazz!! Way to pull out a win! The ESA was rockin!

• Dave
    April 23, 2009 11:55 p.m.

Congrats Jazz!! Boozer was an absolute beast tonight and played with more heart and intensity than I have seen all season.

Lets get Memo back for Saturday and even this thing up!! Go Jazz!!

• BOOZER is BACK
    April 23, 2009 11:53 p.m.

His numbers says it ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Way to go Harpring.........when the Jazz needed a lift Matt always finds a way to come through, whether it is on defense or offense!!!

One GREAT COMPETITOR