Sports

Utah Jazz: Harpring misses morning shootaround; Okur ruled out for tonight

Comments

• He'll Play
    April 21, 2009 12:53 p.m.

Harping will play. We need his toughness. A tummy ache and nasal congestion will not stop that animal from playing.

• Anonymous
    April 21, 2009 12:55 p.m.

fudge!!!!!!!!!!!

• good
    April 21, 2009 12:59 p.m.

Let KK play. Let's see what is has. He can't be any worse than what is on the floor now.

• Okur is out....
    April 21, 2009 1:11 p.m.

Time to wrap it up, especially if Sloan is going to play Collins and Fesenko over Koufus. If you are going to play Collins have him take out Kobe or Bynum's knees

• insanity
    April 21, 2009 1:24 p.m.

anyone feel like the Jazz are just bumping their heads against a wall hoping that eventually it will move so they can go through? Particularly Jerry Sloan with his recent trend of player rotations. It's obvious the Jazz need a spark and they have talent on the bench waiting for a chance to prove what they can or can't do in game time. Jerry Sloan says it's not his job to motivate players, but it should be his job to find motivated players and put them in the game. If none of the players that have been left out of the rotation has motivation then we aren't as deep a team as we thought.

• magnus
    April 21, 2009 1:39 p.m.

@ insanity

What is insane is thinking that playing Fes or Kosta over Collins or Knight over Price will make any difference at all.

AK and Williams and Boozer and Okur are the guys with the talent and experience to make a difference, and unless those guys step up and play to their potential it won't matter who you put on the court, the end result will be the same, failure.

• Wyoming Jazz Fan
    April 21, 2009 1:54 p.m.

We need to play with the toughness of a Karl Malone and John Stockton. Remember when the Mailman split the brow of Isiah Thomas years ago? We need to do that to Kobe, just to teach him a lesson.

• My Guess?
    April 21, 2009 2:06 p.m.

He is sick to death of the way his team mates play defense.

Sissies.

• Chuck Nunn
    April 21, 2009 2:21 p.m.

Hey, I don't think anybody's saying hand the team over to Fess and Koufos. But with the team as short-handed as it is, those guys need to play some minutes. Collins is a smart player, and with Memo out he ought to start in the middle, but Fess and 2K can lean on Bynum and Gasol for about 15 minutes apiece and make a difference. Also, it's a little disturbing to see posts calling for someone to "send a message" by hurting another player. Giving a hard foul to prevent a basket is one thing -- outright thuggery is something entirely different.

PEACE out from the Jazz Oracle.

• todd from santa ana
    April 21, 2009 3:30 p.m.

no comment...

• The Truth
    April 21, 2009 3:45 p.m.

It's nice that this season will end with the same issues it started with...injuries. Call it the Rose curse or whatever....@ Magnus, the more time Koufos plays the better and any playoff experience would be a bonus. I'm predicting that we are going to need him and Fess (if the jazz keep him)for the playoffs next year. I doubt Memo and Booz will both be back! Asking the Jazz to beat the lakers without Memo is pretty much an impossible task as I'm sure they will be crowding the lane again tonight. I say Jerry should take Fess aside and tell him that if he wants to play in the NBA next year, he better (get Nasty) lay the wood to more than one Faker coming down the lane!!

• magnus
    April 21, 2009 4:19 p.m.

@ Truth

I actually think the Jazz should have left Kosta with the Flash. I think competing on a team hungry to win and competing for a Championship would be better for him than giving him any time with the toxic sludge the Jazz are putting on the court right now.

I think Boozer is gone, no matter what happens. I think even if he doesn't opt out the Jazz will trade him. When you combine the way the fans have turned on him, with his comment from earlier this year, the fact that his relationships with other team members seems strained, and the Jazz salary cap situation, it makes it very difficult to see him in a Jazz uniform next year.

I like the idea with Fes though, that is something I would like to see. I still think a properly focused and motivated Fes could be a starter in the NBA, he's got the skills.

• Anonymous
    April 21, 2009 4:51 p.m.

Magnus,

Jazz can't trade him unless it is a sign and trade. The jazz can't negotiate contracts with free agents until July. he can be signed and traded during the draft.

The jazz are toast. They are weak and have no clue how to play playoff basketball. How many times did you see a laker get sent to the floor when they went into the lane. I'm not talking hurting anyone. Just pulling a Barkley. Remember what he would do to Stock in game one of every playoff series? he would take the foul and send him to the floor. Not to hurt him, just to send a message and set a tone for the type of game it was going to be. The difference is that jazz team stood up for themselves and could nto be intimidated by it. This team does not. even Kobe, who isn't exactly an enforcer, knows what it takes to win playoff games: physical play. Wake up Jazz and lay the wood to someone.

• The John
    April 21, 2009 4:55 p.m.

Maybe the results of Harpring's "gastric distress" can suit up....I bet it would play better than half the guys on the Jazz roster right now.

• magnus
    April 21, 2009 5:50 p.m.

@ Anonymous

Ya, if he doesn't opt out he really puts the Jazz in a tough postiion because the sign and trade is the only option but they can't afford to take back any salary. I think if he doesn't opt then they do everything they can to move him to a team with cap space on draft day (Detroit or Memphis?) in return for a draft pick and/or a cheap player or two...something like this....

Boozer and the Jazz first round pick (21) to Detroit for Detroits first round pick (15) and Kwame Brown.

Basically I think they are going to have to give him away, like Denver gave away Camby.

• Vacation. . .
    April 21, 2009 6:04 p.m.

. . . only three losses away -- happy days!!!!!

• Justin
    April 21, 2009 6:21 p.m.

"...who's status for tonight's Game 2 of their first-round NBA playoff series with the Los Angeles Lakers is uncertain."

"who's" is a contraction putting together the words "who" and "is". The correct word to use is "whose". Come on, Deseret News.

• Blessing in Disguise?
    April 21, 2009 6:33 p.m.

First, let me preface my comment by saying that I'm a Laker fan.

One thing to remember, is that it's hard to prepare for the unknown. So maybe adding these guys to the mix could actually help the Jazz because the Lakers probably didn't spend a lot of time breaking down film on these back-up players?

On the other hand, I'm sure the idea of playing the guys at the end of the bench against the best team in the West isn't very appealing either!

West_Coast_Air_Force_Guy

• That's Enough
    April 21, 2009 6:42 p.m.

If all you can do is say negative things about the Jazz, the get off this blog and stop pretending to support our team. Our players need all the support they can get and dont need any negative nellies trying to bring them down. Go find a Lakers blog if you cant support the Jazz.

• UGGGGHHH
    April 21, 2009 7:03 p.m.

Wathing the SPAZZ.. I mean JAZZ, gives me gastric stress.

• Re: Vacation
    April 21, 2009 7:11 p.m.

Since I'm sure someone has a gun to your head and is keeping you from your vacaction by making you watch those SIX games. If your referring to the Jazz's "vacation", let's see if I remember D-Will's exact words, "It's not the end of the playoffs... we've got 6 more games to play, hopefully."

• Victory is near
    April 21, 2009 7:56 p.m.

Jazz will win tonight without memo, without Hapring, and then sweep the next two games at home and then win in L.A. for a 4-1 first round victory. All you nay sayers make me sicker than hapring. You throw in the towel faster than Sloan can make AK cry. So stop all your babbling, victory time is near!!!

• @ blessing in disguise
    April 21, 2009 8:20 p.m.

I agree with you, the Jazz need to mix the line up around... they have nothing to lose plus the Lakers have no idea who Fess or KK are. Also I'm sick of seeing B. Knight ahhhhhhhhhh if we don't play Knight then play Price or if not Price we should have A.K. play point for a bit.

• todd from santa ana
    April 21, 2009 8:33 p.m.

i just say find a way to win. Based on how "the game is played" will make me determine whether i will give "your boy" a night off...

• Joe Bangkok
    April 21, 2009 8:40 p.m.

AK and D-will Brewer, Please step up and get win. Budda will help you.

• Bob
    April 21, 2009 9:47 p.m.

Why play korver and boozer. Just like the old days when Stockton rested. We lose momentum and intensity down 6 till boozer came back in. All star? I think not