Utah

American dream shrivels: As work dries up, immigrants are hit hard

Comments

• Billy
    July 15, 2009 1:40 p.m.

As a teen, my home was also home to three exchange students that I loved like brothers, but now we have broken all relations with their countries, and what I want to know is, if we can have two wars going at one time, why can't we help the Latin countries that are rich in natural resources, oil, and fruits and timber? Why do we let the same familes rule these countries, that have ruled for hundreds of years? The leaders are rich, and the people poor. We need to help these countries, they are all in our backyards!! I thank you.

Billy

• anonymous
    April 23, 2009 7:16 p.m.

wow... i don't think that immigrants legal or illegal is the problem here. you see as Abraham Lincoln once said that the greatness of the American north was that INDUSTRY allowed all men to prosper. our American corporations are moving overseas because of cheap labors. therefore no matter what our jobs here are going to foreigners shouldn't we be blaming our big American industries?

• awsomeron
    April 21, 2009 5:56 p.m.

Illegals are Not Entitled To The American Dream. I am.

They are entitled to Dream of coming to American in a Legal Manner. Thats All.

• LTrust
    April 21, 2009 2:52 p.m.

The American dream didn't shrivel. It was stolen by corporate america and the greedy rich. What was ours is now theirs in aces and we are their dupes.

• Common Sense
    April 21, 2009 2:35 p.m.

Illegal immigration brings crime, not only is it a crime,but it brings crime. However, there are plenty of illegals who are hard working and not participating in other crimes( other than being here illegally) We also have a huge problem in our society with lazy, tattoed, body pierced mostly caucasion losers. There is also a problem with the rich kids that don't show up to work, because their parents are always there to bail them out. All are a big drain on society. Illegal immigration is the easiest target. Easy to make blanket statement that illegals are hurting our economy. I agree we need to address this problem. I agree deport illegals. All crimes for all people regardless of their race should be punished much more than they are now. Enforce the law, stop doing plea deals and suspended sentences. Stop making it so expensive to house criminals. Our prisons should cut back on all convenieces & on food. Prison should be pretty darn close to h-ll. It will save us money and it will work better. If they want rehab, they can pay for it. Cold turkey works fine by me.

• Anonymous
    April 21, 2009 10:47 a.m.

You people still think in individual terms. Illegal immigration is not about a bunch of individuals deciding to come to the US to improve their family situation.

No. Individuals act based on the larger societal, business, and political forces at work. You have to ask yourself:

What organizations are benefiting from illegal immigration?

Here are a few answers:

Drug cartels benefit by importing and distributing drugs through illegal immigrants.

Agricultural companies benefit by importing and paying for cheap labor.

Churches (such as the LDS Church) benefit by growing their membership base and getting cheap (volunteer) labor, pay widow's mites (which add up quickly), and free marketing as illegal immigrants "share the gospel".

So who is responsible for illegal immigration? Drug Cartels, Agricultural Companies, and Churches. They should be made to feel the stern, harsh penalties and justice our legal system can mete out!

• Solution II
    April 20, 2009 3:06 p.m.

I think the liberal Democrats are bankrupting the country. They continuously point at George Bush and want to say that he caused all the deficit spending and they are only doing whats necessary to get the country on track again. While I think George Bush spent more than was necessary, I also think the Democratically controlled congress during Bushes administration has to take some credit. The Democrats have spent and are spending a mind numbing amount. No one really even knows how much, because they aren't through. They have spent themselves into a stupor. They cannot show a direct link between their pending and what it may accomplish. It is like throwing scoop shovels full of grain at the chickens. They "hope" it will do something productive.

• Solution 1
    April 19, 2009 6:28 p.m.

There is a frequent poster on these threads named Anonymous. Anonymous demonstrates wisdom and experience dealing with difficult problems. I would like to ask him to repond here with his solutions to the problem of immigration. I feel relatively sure that He has had first hand experience. So I am going to ask him to share with us as soon as He can.

• Fed up and disgusted II
    April 18, 2009 6:08 p.m.

Why should any illegal get consideration? They knowly broke the law to come here. Some ask,"Wouldn't you break the law to get here if it would better your family." My answer is a resounding, "Yes!" But, I would have to know their are penalties for breaking the law. Mercy cannot rob justice. It appears that neither or both political parties can solve the problem. Its just easier not to solve the problem and thats what we are doing. We give illegals benefits that many of our own people don't have. Now thats selective justice if I have ever seen it. I have nothing against any other nationality or their coming here, just do it the right way. And keep people like Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank out of my face.

• Concerned
    April 18, 2009 5:08 p.m.

I remember a while back when the Sutherland Institute actually was conservative. What happened? Those who come into our country illegally are breaking a law! They cry for our compassion, but in reality THEY SHOW NO COMPASSION FOR us when they freely take jobs (some lower-paying jobs and some jobs where our US citizens once made a good living) and use our country's "socialistis" benefits (health care, free education, etc.) I'm concerned and that concern will grow as citizens begin wakening up to what has been happening in our country.

• Fed up & disgusted
    April 18, 2009 4:33 p.m.

Like so many have pointed out, it is so frustrating to have the D. News constantly siding with the illegal "immigrants". Just being here in the first place without proper documentation makes them illegal, but when they steal someone else's social security number, it is criminal. Has the government ever considered having a social security card with a photo of the person beside the number? Obviously it would be costly, but so is the mess we're in now, & it is destined to get worse with no end in sight. Is the U.S. expected to accept the entire population of Mexico & other countries within our borders?

• Cruisingfool
    April 18, 2009 11:14 a.m.

People, its only going to get worse. When Americans are losing their jobs in massive numbers, and they realize illegal aliens have jobs, just exactly what do you think is going to happen?

We now have the worst government in history. And look who they are calling terrorists, right wing conservatives that have been complaining of illegal aliens, abortion, low wages because of illegal aliens, and the list goes on and on.

Take a look at some of these cops we have nowdays, they could care less if an illegal aliens is here (even though they took an Oath, to Serve and Protect the US Constitution) but will slap anything on any US Citizen.

• utah rose
    April 18, 2009 7:48 a.m.

Here's an idea. Build factories on the US side along the Mexican border. Pay them more than they would earn in their native land, and then have them go back and forth to their own country each day.

They would have their families there and would be able to give them a little support and would be issued some type of green card that would enable them to just go back and forth, not stay in the country as illegals.

Then perhaps they can try and reform their government which is the real reason behind all of their illegal immigration.

• Wilkey
    April 18, 2009 6:50 a.m.

*** From your statistics (a source would be appreciated)..." ***

Go to Google News, type "Pew Hispanic." The report came out within the last week.

*** "it still sounds like a vast majority are here legally." ***

Didn't deny that. I said roughly 1 in 4 are illegal. 12 million of our 40-45 million Hispanics are either illegal aliens or their children. If you look at just those who speak only Spanish or who have accents the ratio is even worse. That is just obvious. Yes, when the ratio is that high we have every right to "make assumptions." Forgive me for using logic and reason.

It is not *my* problem. If Hispanics and lawmakers don't want me to "make assumptions" they can solve the problem by enforcing our laws and not promoting illegal immigration.

• CougarKeith
    April 18, 2009 12:52 a.m.

How can you feel sorry for the "Immigrants" who are here without a green card, or legally? There are many people I know who are laid off, and don't have jobs. Eventually they will have to get off their high horse and take these JOBS!!! So if you are here illegally I can't feel sorry for you, go back where you came from!!! If you are here legally, then I do feel for you, I sympathize with you, and I empathise with you.

So let me make my view clear, if you are someone who can legally work in the United States, I truly feel for your situation, if your not legal, go back where you came from, or I can't wait till they catch you for stealing someone's job!!! It may be low paying, but hey, it's a job some legal person could have!!!

I for one am sick of all this feel good "Political Correctness" in this country, if your not here LEGALLY, THEN YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS AS A PERSON IN THIS COUNTRY! THEY ARE CRIMINALS!!! It may sound harsh, but it is THE FACT OF THE MATTER!!! GO HOME!!!!!

• ummm
    April 18, 2009 12:39 a.m.

Housekeeper, cooks and construction workers are middle class Americans. I resent my occupation being termed as a job Americans won't do.

How is the average American doing in these times?

• Brett Ellingson
    April 18, 2009 12:16 a.m.

Wow, can we have a story about immigrants without without falling into hysterics about them taking American jobs? Seriously, if you believe that free markets give optimal results, then you should believe that the market forces which incentivize people to move to our country and which incentivize an employer to hire them are bringing a more or less optimal result.

I have found that there are two main groups of people who rabidly support tough immigration laws: pro-labor liberals and racist conservatives. Both justify their position by assuming that the well-being of an American is more important than the well-being of a non-American and that the rest of the public should be forced to pay higher prices to support their prejudice.

The needful "law and order" aspect of immigration laws could just as easily (and probably more easily) be met by a more more liberal guest worker system. There is no sense in bullying people who work, mind their own business, and behave themselves. I say we could use a lot more of them. Let's put them on the fast track to citizenship.

• For Immigration
    April 17, 2009 9:57 p.m.

I'm all for immigration. I am an immigrant. It cost me a lot of time and money to become an American. It is something that I value, being part of this great country. If we make it too easy for people to become American, will they value it? Anything gained too easily is not valued enough.
    If someone starts out their journey in America by breaking the law, is that a relationship we want to nurture?

• American Dream
    April 17, 2009 9:57 p.m.

I think everyones American Dream has been taking somewhat of a hit. 401 K's going away and benefits being dropped, more people without insurance and can't buy medicine. You can use the the extremes to make a point, but the real point is that many people are barley getting by and don't see very far down the road. However, I think the other part of being an American is sucking it up and not looking for pity. We will make it through this and come out the other side stronger. That is, if thats what we choose.

• ask yourself
    April 17, 2009 7:44 p.m.

are we any happier since the day they arrived?

• Re What about us?
    April 17, 2009 7:33 p.m.

| 6:31 a.m. April 17, 2009

Did you ever take a look at where the biggest amount of jobs that are being lost are going?

Sure, the economy is bad, and everyone is feeling the pinch, but --- to be quite blunt

you sound like an educated person, I do not think that the vast majority of undocumented immigrants will be lining up for a job that you may be qualified for.

And the opposite is true, educated professionals will seldom apply for manual labor jobs. When laid off, don't they typically collect unemployment and search for jobs in lieu of going to pick strawberries, [excuse the stereotype]? When was the last time you saw legal residents and citizens lining up to, any kind of farm labor?

The jobs that Americans are losing are going overseas --- not to undocumented workers.

Overseas, I have seen it, in several businesses where I have worked.

What to do? Become more marketable. Is there anything else you can do?

Blaming someone else is not productive.

• Vince
    April 17, 2009 7:22 p.m.

I love all people | 11:15 a.m. April 17, 2009

Protect language? Is someone preventing you from speaking your own language? I don't get it.

As to protecting other languages --- hundreds of indigenous languages were wiped out in the name of assimilation as the United States expanded.

Not only that, it is a myth to say that immigrants assimilated immediately when they came over to America.

Examples:

* The English did not assimilate to Native American culture.
    * German and Irish immigrants had their share of being looked down upon for preserving their culture. Does anyone remember not too long ago in nation's history when there signs "Irish need not apply?"
    * Italians and Japanese --- they had their history too. The Japanese, specifically, being taken to camps when they had done nothing except be themselves.

This in the name of preserving culture?

• The Very Problem
    April 17, 2009 7:20 p.m.

Wealthy people and businesses wanting to pay CHEAP wages. Most of us would do the work the illegals are doing but ONLY if it is a livable wage. Why shouldn't it be? Why do the wealthy always depress others? Thats the BIG problem-GREED!

• Agenda
    April 17, 2009 6:56 p.m.

The Deseret News agenda as a member of the Salt Lake chamber of commerce is shameful.

Middle class America can't go home when the economy gets bad. Writing articles like this only fans the flames, when law abiding Americans are hurting.

First we have to bail out the financial sector, then you expect us to accept a form of slavery that depresses our wages?

• Atlas
    April 17, 2009 6:26 p.m.

Eliminate government welfare. Then more of the able will be willing to work.

• Good, go home
    April 17, 2009 6:01 p.m.

Illegal Immigrants do far more harm than good in this country. They should leave. They should be deported if they do not. It's so ridiculous to say that no American would take the jobs they do. Wake up! It simply would require paying a little bit more and improving conditions a little bit. If the job doesn't pay enough to support a legal citizen then it doesn't pay enough to support an illegal one either. Get a clue! If I went to Mexico, Peru or other country illegally and tried to work or run a business, I'd be arrested and jailed, fined, deported and/or killed. There are laws in this country and everyone is expected to obey them. Even liberals and illegals. So let's start insisting that they do it. Go HOME!

• Ignorant Hicks
    April 17, 2009 5:33 p.m.

Individuals who classify illegal aliens in the same group with any other criminal are absolutely ignorant. If you don't like illegal aliens, if you want them to leave, or whatever, that is completely reasonable. And, true, among illegals there are those who commit crimes. But, don't classify them together. Most illegal aliens are people who obey laws just as much as the most respectful legal citizens. The only law they break is that they don't have official permission to live here. But they live here and have kids, and work, and respect the laws. People like that cannot reasonable be put into the same group as criminals. In fact, to me, the worst people on Earth are you people who treat the illegals that way. It's impossible for you to put yourselves in their position. You're just happy you're legal and fine in your work and home. So, yeah, congratulations, you idiots. You make me ashamed to be an American.

• Anonymous
    April 17, 2009 5:31 p.m.

Internal Nafta. That is what this is. Internal Nafta!

• Re Re To Wilkey
    April 17, 2009 4:50 p.m.

Actually, I have never and will never tell someone who is against illegal immigration that they are racist. I, too, am against illegal immigration. Way to jump to conlcusions.

I also think that society might reach more solutions if we could have open dialogue without the "that's racist" and other unproductive comments thrown around.

I think my point about not making assumptions is more of a general personal belief I have that when people make negative assumptions about strangers (myself included--we all do it), there are often undesirable results ranging from unkind behavior to completely mislabeling others. Let's face it, not one of us likes to be accused of something we're not, and it creates unnecessary discord in society. Just my opinion, though. Assumptions can serve good purposes, too, but I've already been long-winded enough without elaborating.

• Jon B. Holbrook
    April 17, 2009 4:41 p.m.

If someone entered this country and violated the law doing so, then that person is an illegal alien. However, I don't blame people who immigrate here because they want better oppurtunities for themselves and their families. I would like to see these people return to their own countries and then immigrate legally back into the United States. I would like to see them come in through the front door instead of sneaking in through the window like a thief. You wouldn't want someone breaking into your home. But you would wecome a friend who has become or is planning to become a naturalized American citizen.

• Obama 08
    April 17, 2009 4:41 p.m.

I was in Park City last week during spring break and we stayed at the Marriott Mountainside resort. It was jammed-packed. There was not an empty room. Funny thing was that most of the patrons and skiers were from out of the country who spoke Spainish. I remarked to my wife, "what global recession"?

• Utahn
    April 17, 2009 4:38 p.m.

Hey DesNews!! The recession has hurt those of us who are here legally!!!! In fact you could say that because of illegal immigrants who shouldn't have been here anyway, that they caused this recession to be greater than it should have been buy getting home loans that they never could have qualified for and had no hope of ever paying back. This recession was caused my Freddie Mac, Freddie Mae, Rep Barney Frank, Senator Chris Dodd, and community organizer who wanted more illegals getting home loans. Also, who is cleaning up the mess they leave? You mentioned that boxes and cars are now abandened. Who is left with this mess? Nice bario Park City has become.

• anon.
    April 17, 2009 4:24 p.m.

News Flash!!! The American dream went away a long time ago, do you realize that at the age of 65 only 99% of Americans retire not defendant on family, church, or the government! I would say the American dream is in the past.

• Tom
    April 17, 2009 4:10 p.m.

I am glad to hear that the views expressed hear are not reached because of "prejudice, distrust/dislike/hate". I accept your word for what you say. I have noticed that in my 50+ years of growing up in main stream America that I have had to work threw some of those feelings in myself when I have realized they were not in harmony with what I believed was right, and I have notice those same feelings expressed by others from time to time. I know this is not a simple issue and that there are valid points on both sides and I accept your good intentions. I hope that after the current laws are changed which it looks like they will be, that we accept that the "law is the law" and that we all work together to build our community and love our neighbor as our self.

• Anonymous
    April 17, 2009 3:59 p.m.

For those decrying profiling, when did illegal alien become a race?

• Employers are the key
    April 17, 2009 3:59 p.m.

America should welcome a controlled, limited flow of immigrants. The problems comes when the flow is too fast for cultural adoption or when a recession hits and we have an over supply of labor.

There is no border protection high to stop a person who is motivated and creative in immigrating. The only way to stop them is to remove the motivation. One way to take away the motive is to equalize the US and Mexican wage, but that would be a terrible decline for the US and it would take Mexico decades to rise up to US levels.

The only remaining option is to make employers more responsible. If there are no available jobs for those in an illegal status, they will not come. Employers are the only option.

• Re: kw
    April 17, 2009 3:43 p.m.

However, "illegals" are not to blame for the bad economy.

Have you seen the worst offenders list for the situation on the economy?

If anything, undocumented workers help the economy. Manual labor, cheap wages, little or no benefits --- government does not pay into their social security bucket, and no... undocumented workers do not take out more than they put into the economy. That is the biggest lie some people would have the public believe. It is a lie.

• Re: To Environcapitali
    April 17, 2009 3:39 p.m.

How far back do we want to trace the legal/illegal immigration?

The settling of the west, or for the entire 50 states did not exactly happen on legal terms with the legal possessors of those lands before.

They were displaced.

• RE: To Wilkey
    April 17, 2009 3:32 p.m.

To Wilkey said: "All I'm saying is that making assumptions about strangers on the street (illegal, not illegal, legal but supporting those who are not, etc.) never reflects well on anyone, including the person making the assumpmtions."

Why is it that we are under any obligation to not make assumptions about anything we want? People like you make the same assumption that simply because we are anti-illegal migrant that we are racist, a stereotype if there ever was one.

The bottom line is that most of us are waaaaayy past the point of giving any Hispanic looking or speaking person the benefit of the doubt that they are here legally. Hispanic = illegal alien. More and more people are so fed up with the hordes of lawbreakers swarming across our neighborhoods that we do not care about "status". We are beginning to assume that all Hispanics are illegal,until they speak in unaccented English.

This is sad. It is in error...but we are correct a very great part of the time because THERE ARE SO MANY HERE!!!. If so many were not illegal, Hispanics would not be being met with such hotility and resentment based on their appearance.

• SilentNoLonger
    April 17, 2009 3:32 p.m.

We can all do something come the 2010 election but will we? Bennett is up for re-election and I'm betting most of you that are complaining will re-elect him. He's beginning to say what we all want to hear as he starts his campaigning. What about your local city councils and police depts. who are refusing to enforce laws that we made just this last legislative session? Quit complaining, organize in your own neighborhoods and require and demand that all politicians, local, state and federal, uphold the law. Then--when they don't--throw them out. After a few sessions of throwing them out perhaps they will get the message. Doesn't matter whether they are democrats or republicans. Look at your zoning laws--multiple families living in one house. Start small and keep the pressure on.

YOU have the power to change things. Turn off your TVs, roll up your sleeves and get to work. We changed the 3rd District--you can change yours too! It takes work, emailing and talking. You can do it!

• To Environcapitali
    April 17, 2009 3:07 p.m.

And your point is??????? Yes we most of us do have immigrants in our background but the vast majority of those immigrants came here legally under the immigration laws in force at the time they came. My ancestors came through Ellis Island. The discussion is about illegal aliens who do not follow the law. And I disagree with your statement that none of the "Americans" will take time to differentiate between tribes. People do the same to me. I'm from Ireland but I get asked all the time which part of England I'm from. I just clarify for them and hope they won't be so ignore the next time.

• Poor title
    April 17, 2009 3:06 p.m.

First of all, the american dream is not cleaning hotel rooms. You can do that in any country.

The American dream is under attack by congress and president Obama who want to cap how much a person can achieve, and how much they can earn. They are suppressing innovation, and allowing "big government" to decide our fates. Yes, if you work hard enough to earn a large salary, they can take that away from you and give it to someone who has decided not to work at all. That is destroying the American dream.

• Envirocapitali
    April 17, 2009 2:54 p.m.

To kw: aren't we forgetting that EVERYONE in America is an immigrant except the NATIVE AMERICANS (who are called that because none of the "Americans" will take the time to differentiate between tribes).

• Spanish Fork
    April 17, 2009 2:50 p.m.

This article is nothing but propaganda, and justification for depressing the wages of the unskilled working poor and students working part time. Any job worth doing deserves a fair wage.

A country with as much socialism and welfare benefits that the United States offers will not last long if we allow the unskilled working poor to have their wages depressed below subsistence levels. Then if we flood the labor market with foreigners the problem becomes worse.

If we pretend that we can create an economy that provides something for nothing we delude ourselves. Buying cheap labor foreign goods and the use of cheap labor at home both create a false economy. It is like living on credit cards beyond our means.

This country is living beyond its means and will sometime pay the economic price. Will it be in this recession which could turn very bad? Or will it come later? We don't know, but it will come.

• To Wilkey
    April 17, 2009 2:26 p.m.

From your statistics (a source would be appreciated), it still sounds like a vast majority are here legally. Furthermore, plenty of those here legally are not supporting those who are here illegally. I'm not saying we don't have a huge problem, because I absolutely agree that we do. All I'm saying is that making assumptions about strangers on the street (illegal, not illegal, legal but supporting those who are not, etc.) never reflects well on anyone, including the person making the assumpmtions.

• Envirocapitali
    April 17, 2009 2:17 p.m.

Abolish minimum wage and let businesses hire more people. The minimum wage fuels lay offs. Let businesses set wages and allow people to decide if they will work for them or not. If the wage were lower businesses could afford to hire more people. Capitalism is a friend to the immigrant. Get government out of regulating minimum wage.

• kw
    April 17, 2009 2:14 p.m.

Illegal's are one of American's biggest problems.
    If it takes a bad economy to get rid of them, and get real American's doing their jobs then I guess we needed the bad turn in the economy!

• Thomas J.
    April 17, 2009 2:12 p.m.

America has been betrayed by it's leaders, churches and police chiefs. The comments on this article clearly show the will of the American people. Our immigration laws are NOT a mess, the only mess is not enforcing them stongly enough. It's time for another revolution, untill then; every man for himself.

• 666
    April 17, 2009 2:00 p.m.

illegal immigrants are a burden to the state and should be deported as well as all those dishonest employers who hire them should be punished to the whole extent of the law! I am sick and tired of people that are sympathetic to these criminals, they are here stealing the jobs and opportunities of those native americans and legal immigrants. go home "mojados" and take your families and burdens with you, and stop abusing the system (free medical care and breaks at Utah schools for tuition) not fair!

• Wilkey
    April 17, 2009 1:57 p.m.

*** "I hope you weren't trying to imply that those 20-30 are all here illegally...How would you know? I do think it's a problem that we have so many people who are here illegally, but we must be careful not to assume that all Hispanics are, because the majority are not." ***

There are just over 40 million Hispanics in the US. 80% of the estimated population of 12 million illegal aliens is Hispanic, or 10 million people. Thus 1 in 4 Hispanics is here illegally.

The ratio is far higher if you look only at Hispanics with accents or at those who speak no English at all. 1 in 2? Quite possibly. And those numbers do not incude the 3 million or so children of illegals who were born in the US.

If legally present Hispanics are bothered when people assume they are illegal I know one thing that would help: stop supporting the people who come here illegally!

• Stewart
    April 17, 2009 1:57 p.m.

This illegal alien sympathy article belongs on the opinion page. It is very biased in its attempt to build empathy and entitlement for the illegal aliens. The Sutherland Institute and the Chamber of commerce are each a wing of the cheap labor bird. For them to imply that illegal aliens are necessary for economic recovery, is to assume that the readers are all fools. It flies in the face of common sense.

I suppose it is easier for hotels and other cheap labor employers, that care little about our own people, to hire illegal aliens. It may cost a little more to hire students and young adults to work for them like they used to a decade or so ago before they became so addicted to using illegal labor.

This article should be about how to depress wages in America, and destroy the work ethic of our younger citizens. To say that any type of work is work Americans won't do is at first a lie, and second should be an insult to all Americans.

To assume that unskilled labor has to be done by illegal aliens puts the nation on the road to decline.

• Re: Not All Illegal
    April 17, 2009 1:49 p.m.

You're absolutely right. And not all illegals are workers. It is unfair to lump them together.

• Just Pointing Out to "The Truth"
    April 17, 2009 1:31 p.m.

You commented that you see 20-30 Hispanics a day, most being on medicaid and not contributing to the funds.

First, no one on medicaid contributes to the funds. I agree that welfare of all sorts is a big problem and is unsustainable, but the problem is not unique to that particular race.

I hope you weren't trying to imply that those 20-30 are all here illegally (whether intentional or not, your comment implied this). How would you know? I do think it's a problem that we have so many people who are here illegally, but we must be careful not to assume that all Hispanics are, because the majority are not. If I misunderstood your comment, I apologize.

• Barry O
    April 17, 2009 1:26 p.m.

Tear that fence down!!!

• Anonymous
    April 17, 2009 1:12 p.m.

*** "A certain man broke a law (ate fruit, crossed a border) in order to protect and preserve his family." ***

Bollocks. As of this year 110 million live in Mexico. Got that? 110 million people *LIVE* in Mexico. They are not dropping like flies. In fact the average life expectancy of a Mexican, according to the Mexican government, is 75.84 years. That is just slightly lower than the average US life expectancy of about 78 years, and it's essentially the same as the Hispanic life expectancy in the US.

They are not coming here because their poor families are dying. They are coming here illegally because the work pays better. It's understanable but that does not make it right.

We let them stay here when our unemployment rate was 5.5%. We're letting them stay even though it's now 8.5%. When our unemployment rate hits 10% and our deficits are stratospheric we may realize how idiotic it was to encourage foreigners to take American jobs while Americans were being told to take on debt, from college students and their loans to teenagers and their 68% unemployment rate.

• Tigre
    April 17, 2009 1:02 p.m.

Boo hoo! Thanks for the sob story from the D News. These stories will only lead to more cancelled subscriptions. Guaranteed.

• What about us?
    April 17, 2009 12:43 p.m.

We keep hearing that these "immigrants" might go back to Mexico if things don't impove. Just where do all of us who were born here "go back to"? Sounds like at least they have options.

• Kudos!
    April 17, 2009 12:39 p.m.

Ok, take your current salary and multiply it by 5 or 10.

Suppose there is a country very close by where you can get the same type of job that will pay you 5 to 10 times more than you earn currently. All you have to do is obtain the employment without a proper permit, put up with a lot of prejudice from the residing population, perhaps not know the language and risk being sent back here. You can even get free health care if you do it right.

Do you make the move? Well I guess 12 million or so have.

Kudos to them for improving their lives if that's the case!

This is the current system in place. If you don't like the system you must run for office to change the system or elect someone who will.

• Herb Gravy
    April 17, 2009 12:38 p.m.

Most of tha blame can be attributed directly to our noble congress which created and nurtured Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, accepted huge campaign contributions from them, and turned a "blind eye" to the millions and millions paid in bonuses that were fraudulently obtained, and failed to enact a wise immigration policy. As Reverend Jeremiah Wright said, "...The Chickens. Come Home. To Roost!".

• Great and Grateful
    April 17, 2009 12:36 p.m.

America needs migrant workers, unless the population itself decides to up the number of children per household and start getting married younger. Luckily (unlike Europe) the migrant workers that are most readily available are of a Christian background, and don't wish to impose Shariah Law. Hopefully America will continue to treat its neighbors with respect and love and will be desperate for migrant workers for the foreseeable future.

• To: The Truth
    April 17, 2009 12:34 p.m.

I am a social work professional in the Valley. I attended a training at a local Hispanic social service agency, Centro De La Familia and when I dared to raise the issue of legality v illegality I was called a racist, an elitist, a bigot and described as having no compassion for the less fortunate and having a lack of understanding of the "immigrant experience". Bull, what they did not know was that I am an legal immigrant who spent years waiting to come here and paid for my own education at the out of state tuition rate. If they had allowed me to speak long enough they would have noticed that I have an accent. I have worked to support legal immigrants. I volunteer my time to teach English and yet I was verbally abused because I do not agree with law-breaking or violating the laws of this country. I feel it a great honor to live here. I have never had to hide in the shadows and fear the police. Illegals, go home, come back legally and participate in the American dream.

• Not All Illegal
    April 17, 2009 12:32 p.m.

Not all migrant workers are illegal. It is unfair to lump them together.

• sad
    April 17, 2009 12:30 p.m.

I was in Mexico last month, our guide told us there was no welfare there. He said " if you want to eat, you have to work". Contrast that with what is going on here. Now MSNBC has Obama raising people from the dead, so I'm sure all is well until our children get hit with the bill for his spending.

• STATISTICS
    April 17, 2009 12:19 p.m.

"Gardners 73% American Citizens or LEGAL immigrants (vs) vs 26% illegal immigrants"

Everything's a nice tidy 100% except the percent written above only adds up to 99%.

What happened to the other 1%?

• wallofvoodoo
    April 17, 2009 12:15 p.m.

In this economy why are we even debating whether illegal workers should be here in the first place. There are plenty of people who need work who are here legally. The illegal immigrant workforce only benefits the wealthy in their worship of a larger margin. There are plenty of people here legally who need jobs, why not do an article about them? Because the only people that matter are the poor law breaking immigrants in the media's mind. Let South America & Central America deal with their own problems & not shuffle them to the USA. If they leave to never come back, that sounds like a win for the USA. It's harsh & true.

• Re: Jobs
    April 17, 2009 12:05 p.m.

87 percent of people who insist there are enough Americans who will pick strawberries on their hands and knees for 8 hours a day for minimum wage are mistaken. Just because there are some Americans who will do it, doesn't mean there are enough for a thriving economy. Oh, and 78 percent of all statistics are made up.

• well
    April 17, 2009 12:04 p.m.

now the legals have spoken out and not in a hateful way ...after reading these blogs ..i hope the political machine will take time to grease the wheels in the direction the legals have spoken quite clearly on!

• Anonymous
    April 17, 2009 11:59 a.m.

The status quo is bad for everybody. A lot of these laborers are here not because they want to become US citizens, but because of better work opportunities. The problem, however, is that certain special interests benefit (e.g. Park City resort owners) while the taxpayers foot the bill for the costs associated with illegal immigrants and their families. So, rather than granting amnesty to the 10-20 million, mostly Mexican illegal immigrants, we should find a way to accommodate workers, at the expense of businesses, and to allow for limited citizenship to those who want to integrate into our culture.

• Lindy
    April 17, 2009 11:59 a.m.

When I was a teacher in the Los Angeles area, I saw the terrible decline of the quality of education due to the influx of illegal immigration. When my first child began kindergarden, he was the only one in the class who spoke English as a first language. The classes are conducted in Spanish and English, and in some areas, dialects from Southeast Asia. The citizens pay taxes for the education of America's children, yet many who are not legal citizens are causing the taxes to increase outrageously while the quality and safety of our schools suffer. We moved to another state, and the same thing is happening here. Illegal immigrants work hard, but they do not pay into our system and benefit a great deal from tax payer money. Illegal immigration chips away at the quality of life for American citizens and leagal immigrants, and the problem seems to only be getting worse across the entire country.

• sinking ship
    April 17, 2009 11:56 a.m.

to all the "compassionate" people who think allowing undocumented (illegal) immigrants to remain and work and continue to breach our borders, I'd say that America is a sinking ship right now. Being the largest donor by far in the world to other poorer nations the more we sink the less we will be able to help other nations in the world. There's a disproportionate amount of money in welfare and benefits going to people from a single nation of Mexico. It is unfair to those seeking to come here legally, and unfair to other poorer nations. We can't save anyone if we allow ourselves to drown.

And the Des News is obviously either cowering or overly sympathetic to "undocumented" workers from Mexico and South America. The paper is certainly going downhill as a respectable resource for news.

• Knowwhat
    April 17, 2009 11:51 a.m.

My neighbor works as a finish carpenter, he has been out of work now for about 1 year. I approached some contractors that I knew and asked if they would be willing to hire him. Of course, they wanted to know his background and experience. When they found out he was very experienced and had been doing this for 30 years, they told me they could not pay him enough and if they hired him he would probably leave when things got a little better. They said they were looking for someone that they could pay $9 or $10 per hour to. (Illegals) My neighbor probably would have taken the job if it paid $12.

• The Truth
    April 17, 2009 11:38 a.m.

I am a doctor in the Salt Lake Valley. I see 20-30 Hispanics a day, the majority of which are on Medicaid. Your tax dollars are paying for their health care and they are not contributing to the funds that pay for their health care.
    Both parents usually accompany their kids to the office (meaning they are not working) and yet their health care is free to them.
    It is not racist or hatred to say THIS CANNOT BE SUSTAINED. They are a drain on a very "drained" public budget. Illegal aliens must either stay and PAY or return to Mexico. Again, this attitude does not constitute "hate". We are conditioning an entire generation of immigrants to believe that everything in America is free and that they are entitled to free services. This cannot be sustained and will poses a huge socio-economic problem that will linger for generations.

• Just pointing out...
    April 17, 2009 11:33 a.m.

Nowhere in "Hispanics Preferred's" comment did he say that he was hiring Hispanics who are here illegally. Many of you just assumed that, and to assume that if someone is Hispanic means they are illegal is a dangerous and harmful assumption.

That being said, he may have hired illegals. We just don't know; how about reserving judgement rather than making rash assumptions?

• RE: Tom | 10:26 a.m.
    April 17, 2009 11:32 a.m.

That's a mighty presumptuous statement you make about posters having feelings of prejudice and dislike/hate toward illegal hispanics based on race.

It's not wrong to protect this country from foreign intruders and all the problems they bring. Illnesses that were one all but eradicated in America like tuberculosis are now on the rise again.

It's not wrong to be concerned about the financial toll these illegals are putting on america.

It's not wrong to want to see Americans get those jobs that "only illegals will do."

It's not wrong to be concerned about a shrinking middle class due to depressed wages caused by illegals.

It's not wrong to want to keep our overcrowded prisons from being filled with illegals nor wrong to be concerned about the huge rising crime rate from criminals interspersed among others.

It's not wrong to want to seal our borders once and for all and stop the anchor babies being born here.

It's right to expect immigrants come here legally. It's right to expect fair quotas from all countries.

No shame for speaking out America. This is not about race, it's about citizen rights.

• Jobs Americans won't do?
    April 17, 2009 11:17 a.m.

Here's debunking the nonsense about how Americans won't do the jobs illegals do...

Drywall/ceiling and tile installers: - 73% are American or legal immigrants vs. 27% illegal
    Gardeners 73%: American citizens or LEGAL immigrants vs vs. 26% illegal immigrants

Maids and housekeepers: 78% American or legal immigrants vs. 22% illegal immigrants

construction laborers: 80% American or legal immigrants vs. 20% illegal immigrants

Hotel industry workers: 87% are American or legal immigrants vs. 13% illegal immigrants

Food manufacturing industry 92% American or legal immigrants vs. 8% illegal immigrants.

Furthering discrimination against American citizens: Most government agencies now have hiring quotas for bilingual english/spanish speaking citizens in order to deal with hispanics (mostly illegal) who do not speak english. This means that American citizens do not qualify for many coveted government jobs simply by the fact they can only speak in their native english tongue.

But they become hard working productive members of society right? Wrong. The longer they stay, the less productive and more welfare dependent they become. If here:

5 years: 18.6% receive welfare.
    6 to 9 years: 23.9% receive welfare.
    10 to 19 years, 26.9% receive welfare

• I love all people
    April 17, 2009 11:15 a.m.

Personally, I love people regardless of national origin. However, in the USA we need to protect language, borders, and culture; if we don't then we are too compromised. Overall, illegal aliens are a very serious threat to the economy and culture of the USA. We should welcome all legal immigrants. I am a descendant of legal immigrants.

• Illegals are wrong
    April 17, 2009 11:07 a.m.

"Undocumented immigrant"? I'm dying to know how the DesNews is going to classify drug dealers and prostitutes.... "chemical enablers" and "overachieving flirts"?? Shame on the illegals for not having the honor to come to America LEGALLY like my mom did almost 44 years ago. A double shame on employers who know their employees are illegal and still continue to use them to line their own pockets. These employers are as much a thief as anyone sitting behind bars at prison. These employers steal from the legal American families right now that would do these jobs. And although I cannot argue about whether or not the illegals can receive welfare, I KNOW they are receiving medical assistance at the expense of the rest of us. I agree that the welfare system in the US stinks and provides a means for more people to continue their laziness, but if we would change those laws, they would be forced to work again to eat. Illegals aren't the answer. I am sorry that they were born into a country with little prospects, but unfortunate luck doesn't excuse their illegal action of coming here outside of the law.

• economic burden
    April 17, 2009 11:04 a.m.

1/3rd of prison population is illegal immigrants at over $100,000 cost per year per prisoner.

between 1996 to 2001, welfare use among legal immigrants and illegal aliens increased to about $9403 per household. Since 1996, number of illegal welfare recipients has more than doubled.

The average Mexican immigrant household pays $2,156 in taxes.

22% of immigrant households receive welfare compared to 15% of American citizens.

But they're poor right? Illegals who hire persons to smuggle them here pay anywhere from $3000 to $30,000. Where do they get that money?

If the migrant farm workers were deposed it's estimated we'd only pay about 3% more for produce.

K-12 school expenditure for illegal aliens costs the states $7.4 billion annuallyenough to buy a computer for every junior high student nationwide.

216 new schools need to be built every year to house illegal immigrants. It costs between 6 and 18 million to build a new school. State funding for education costs alone run at about $5000 to $11,000 per student.

Tip of the iceberg here...it's greedy business and their politicians putting out nonsense on economic benefits of illegals

• suzyk
    April 17, 2009 10:44 a.m.

To: Political Correctness - you are absolutely right....bravo for your thinking.

• Corruption
    April 17, 2009 10:37 a.m.

in Washington has hurt us all, both illegal aliens and legal Americans alike.

• Welfare/Food Stamps
    April 17, 2009 10:33 a.m.

You are absolutely wrong, many, many illegals are receiving welfare benefits. Beleive me, as a State employee, dispensing aid on a daily basis, it is happening and nothing we can do about it. Identities are stolen and misued and even when we suspect it, there is nothing can be done.

• reply to Hispanic preferred
    April 17, 2009 10:33 a.m.

Yes Hispanics are hard working, as are people of all nations. But what the illegal alien does is take away jobs from legal aliens, who have worked harder to get here by traveling greater distances and doing so by legal compliance with our laws.

There could be more good workers here that really need to leave their countries, REFUGEEs such as from Sudan, Darfur, Iraq, Afghanistan, some who supported our troops at the cost of their families lives. But when they get to this country, they have to compete with the illegal aliens for jobs. Many are discouraged after coming here, because of this competition. Yet going home is a death sentence. Sir would you hire these Refugees?

You did not distinguish if you are hiring Native born, or Legal Hispanics. We Hispanics that are legal and born American, compete with the illegal aliens who devalue our wages, steal our ids and social security #s, and support organized crime.
    How do you apply background checks to illegal aliens with multiple stolen id's?
    This is just some of the reality that this Hispanic Minute man See's and lives
    M. Sanchez

• any body
    April 17, 2009 10:32 a.m.

want to go back to indentured servants?

• hispanic prefered
    April 17, 2009 10:27 a.m.

is all apart of the schema of things..the middle class carries the load my wife and i are taxed $3500.oo apiece and we are native americans...when our children try for these jobs to start their economic descent..it is always "get to the back of the line"...we have lost one of our first in this present war who gave his all with the first seven casualties...i understand probably better than most what it is to come from a third world country but i have to draw the line as if i or other natives went to their countries we would be labeled "illegals". The premise is very simple when one has lost a life for freedom as many have..you learn to cherish the benefits and implement a fair system that rewards "legal" , legitimate play in the system set up. We are still in the mourning stage of losing our son, brother, hero...so it is a disrespectful person who shoves themselves right by us as if we haven't for our right to the Ameican Dream. these people need to be educated in what is proper not uncompassionate!!

• NDH
    April 17, 2009 10:26 a.m.

Illegal immigration is a three-dimensional issue that is perhaps not so conducive to one-line zingers and trite axioms (although these are not always off base).

A certain man broke a law (ate fruit, crossed a border) in order to protect and preserve his family. When he broke the law, he did what he had to do as a responsible morally-independent actor. Is it possible to simultaneously respect and honor this man and at the same time ask for the law to be enforced? I believe that it is.

To those who have come here without the blessing the law, I don't question the goodness of your heart. I don't question the gravity of the need that drove you here, or the wisdom of your decision to come. But when I participate in civic dialog about the rule of law, I ask you to stop breaking it. I ask you to go home. I will suffer with you, mourn with you, cry with you, comfort you. You may have done what was right for you to come. But we are doing what is right for us to enforce the laws. God bless you. Return home.

• Tom
    April 17, 2009 10:26 a.m.

This is not an easy issue to deal with but the fact is that most of the illegal immigrants are here to work and do contribute. Our immigration laws are a mess. These people are real people and this problem is a human problem as well as a legal problem. I think if we were able to look honestly into our hearts we would find some real feelings of prejudice and dislike/hate their. I feel for everyone who is having a hard time in these difficult financial times. I hope the best for you.

• bard
    April 17, 2009 10:21 a.m.

But the statistics say our unemployment is just over 5%...is the government clueless or what? From where the rubber meets the ground my estimate is 9% to 13%. I think we can forget about the tenths of a percent accuracy.

• Enough Des News
    April 17, 2009 10:14 a.m.

I just cancelled my subscription to the Deseret News because I can no longer tolerate your inability to refrain from policial correctness. If I have to read one more story about these poor undocumented workers whose children have Sony Playstations bought, I might add, with the the proceeds from criminal activity, I'm going to puke. Working in this country, at any job, while an illegal alien is criminal. So Des News, one less subscriber.

• re: Hispanics Preferred
    April 17, 2009 10:06 a.m.

No one here is calling Latinos lazy; the argument never was about the Hispanic work ethic.

The argument is about ILLEGAL immigrants living and working in the United States. We are doing these people absolutely no favors by underpaying them for working in crappy jobs and by forcing them to live in the shadows with the constant fear of being deported.

I agree, the process to get authorization to work and live in the US definitely needs to be streamlined. Until that happens we should enforce our laws. Hiring undocumented workers only enables a new kind of slave labor.

• To Hispanics Preferred
    April 17, 2009 10:05 a.m.

You are part of the problem! A dishonest employer, lining your own pockets at the expense of American Citizens and illegals alike. You should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Do you check to see if they have stolen someone else's identity or are you so busy scamming that you ignore the law? Sorry you can't find decent workers, send me your email and I will send you two of my sons, both drug free, clean-cut, returned missionaries who are in college and are great workers who will be happy to accept $8.00 per hour.

• On the list
    April 17, 2009 10:02 a.m.

You posters be very careful. You don't want to be classified by Homeland Security as a rightwing extremist. Immigration is one of the three issues they watch closely, the other two being gun ownership rights and abortion.
    Welcome to Amerika, comrades.

• to KVC
    April 17, 2009 10:02 a.m.

What part of 'illegal aliens do not get welfare' do you not understand? All the food stamps are going to your white and lazy neighbors, not to undocumented immigrants. You are the one who does not understand.

• Phantom Panther
    April 17, 2009 9:41 a.m.

Utah citizens to the DesNews: Helloooo, helloooo, illegal immigrants have NO right to hold jobs in the United States. Please stop printing articles that show your "compassion" for illegal immigrants while millions of your fellow citizens are losing their jobs left and right. Where is your "compassion" for LAW ABIDING CITIZENS of this country?

• What?
    April 17, 2009 9:29 a.m.

Who is going to make me my Bigmac or clean the bathroom?
    I guess they are going to have to pay better to get the locals to do the job. That is the problem, they will work for less and because of that it is what they will pay.

• Hispanic preferred
    April 17, 2009 9:15 a.m.

is the only sensiable blogger

• Limited Capacity
    April 17, 2009 9:03 a.m.

Re. To Saints: Thank you. I see the light now. We need to just ignore our immigration laws and allow these "migrants" to come work these jobs that are beneath you and me, for wages that we could not afford to live on. Why would we want them to come into this country legally? Then they would have legal recourse when their employers take advantage of them. Oh, and what about that pesky 12th article of faith about obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law? Well, those "articles of faith" are almost as old as the constitution. They really don't apply in our 'modern world'. Lets just throw them all out the window. Thank you for enlightening me.

• KVC
    April 17, 2009 9:02 a.m.

Hispanics Preferred- You lack a true understanding of the situation. Currently our govt has allowed illegals to come here and work by not enforcing the laws. These illegals drive down wages, which you like because it saves you money. What is not mentioned is why hispanics show up to work and others do not. The reason is that we have set up such a good welfare state for our citizens, that they don't feel the need to work. In many cases they are financially better off to not work, or work fewer hours to keep their incomes below a certain level.
    If we would eliminate all of the freebies we give out, you would see a dramatic change. If people had to work to survive, they would show up and they would do a better job. Unfortunately, their is not enough disincentive from not working to change attitudes. Many don't care if they get fired, because it just means a trip back for more entitlements.

8:13- Read the Articles of Faith and tell me where breaking the law under certain circumstances is justified.

• To DNews:
    April 17, 2009 8:59 a.m.

I agree with you. Have you noticed a great decline in both the printed and online editions in the past year. Both have fewer articles and have the same stories day after day. This is probably because they have fired a lot of people. So all the fluff and stories about how sad it is to be illegal in Utah fall on deaf ears. When the last reporter files his last article it will be about how the illegal can not afford his rental house.

• to "Hispanics Preferred "
    April 17, 2009 8:58 a.m.

It is nice to know that in the midst of so many racist comments, there is at least one person who understands the value of hard work, regardless of race or nationality.
    I could not agree more. Personally, working in an office and all is hard enough. I can only imagine what those peopel go through with tougher jobs.

• DNews
    April 17, 2009 8:20 a.m.

The DNews is moving more and more to the feel good paper. To bad that feeling good and caring about the middle class and hard working Americans is not part of their agenda. This paper and the individual that wrote it should write a letter of apology to all Americans. I worked in Park City cleaning condos for minimum wage while in college. To bad the Dnew continues to advance the myth that hard working Americans will not do hard work! I have no sympathy for illegal aliens that brake laws and further advance our welfare mentality. I also have no sympathy for the greedy companies that try to take advantage of cheep labor!!!

• To Saints with limited capacity
    April 17, 2009 8:13 a.m.

How interesting all these comments.

No wonder the "United Order" never had a chance and never will.

• Wayne
    April 17, 2009 8:11 a.m.

Dump the political correctness and call them ILLEGAL immigrants. The more that leave the better. If you are not properly documented when living in Mexico, you go to JAIL....no questions or objections allowed and the newspapers do not write about your unfortunate situation. Shape up Des News.

• Anonymous
    April 17, 2009 8:06 a.m.

To the "What about Us" person @ 6:31am I think that he is crazy to go back to Mexico

• Out of towner
    April 17, 2009 8:05 a.m.

I was in town over Easter weekend and I hit a mall there. I sure didn't see any signs of recession going on in this state. It was like Christmas Eve and the lines in stores were long. Where I live, the stores in the malls are going out of business. No complaining Utahns.

• A Different Twist
    April 17, 2009 8:00 a.m.

People say things like, "we need migrant workers for low end jobs" and "most of us will not work for such low wages or conditions" and they label themselves as compassionate and understanding. I label them as bigots. There is nothing wrong with good honest work, and as has been mentioned in previous comments, there are many citizens and legal immigrants who will gladly fill these positions. I have worked many similar jobs in my lifetime.
    The point in this story, that is missed, is that the american dream has been slipping away for quite some time. People can't earn enough money to pay their bills. Now the chickens have come home to roost. Banks, companies and individuals are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Ask yourself this. What would happen to the working wage in this state if all of the illegals suddenly went home.

• Vigilant
    April 17, 2009 7:59 a.m.

Al victims of the economic downturn have my sympathy.

However, ILLEGAL aliens should not be here, and should go home and become wards of their native lands.

LEGAL immigrants deserve the assistance offered to all Americans.

And, NO, the solution is not to declare an amnesty (under whatever name) and add millions to our welfare (and voting) rolls.

Now, let's compare this article to one about the number of ILLEGAL aliens who are engaged in criminal activity, engaged in identity theft, and adding to the costs of education and health care.

Finally, I do not feel any sympathy for employers who knowingly employ ILLEGAL aliens.

• Hispanics Preferred
    April 17, 2009 7:54 a.m.

I have hired janitors and maintenance workers for several years to maintain large commercial buildings in Utah. I would prefer to hire 10 hispanic workers to 1 other applicant. The Hispanics are honest, hard-working and loyal people. They came here to work and that's what they want to do. The alternative job applicants for $9-$10 cleaning, maintenance and landscaping jobs are either tatooed, pierced, addicted freaks, chronically unemployed people with health and behavior problems, or young people with a privileged attitude whose parents are making them 'find a job.' Give me 6 good hispanic workers and I'll get a good job done. Give me 6 referrals from the unemployment rolls (who can pass drug and background checks) and 3 of them won't show up the next day, 2 are lazy and won't work at all, and 1 might make it a month. We need to give them job cards and let them in. It's good for our economy and good for theirs. The minutemen aren't living in reality - they just want to hate someone to make themselves feel bigger.

• Hunter T.
    April 17, 2009 7:25 a.m.

Why doesn't the DesNews do an in depth article about how big corporations, like those who own the hotels etc. in Park City are unwilling to pay a decent wage to legal American citizens for doing these jobs? About how these big corporations, and the wealthy, want illegal immigrants so they don't have to pay a living wage to get their homes cleaned, lawns mowed, cars washed, kids taken care of. This isn't about compassion or humanitarian reasons. It's about the greed of the wealthy and big business who want a huge cheap labor force so they can put more money in their own pockets.

• Anonymous
    April 17, 2009 7:23 a.m.

My husband is out of work - he will work any job to have any income rather than rely on the govt for money. And immigrants on the majority do not and will not help with the economic recovery! They do not pay taxes and they send the money home to their family in other countries. . .how is that helping us? If they have a true American Dream why not become legal, better themselves and then they can make more money?

Didn't care for the article because many people are being hit hard so why are we picking out immigrants to feel sorry for?

• In England and Europe
    April 17, 2009 6:50 a.m.

If you do not have a job you are deported.

• Dan
    April 17, 2009 6:45 a.m.

Call they what they are: Illegal aliens. Compassion is important, however but if these illegals want work, they need to stay in their native country and make their opportunities. Illegal aliens cost us even more than our jobs - they suck up more in welfare and other *free* benefits than they pay for in taxes. Many of these people are paid "under the table" and don't pay little taxes, if any. Most are using someone else's identity, spelled "identity theft", and are scamming the system.

Send them on their way.

• Pacco City
    April 17, 2009 6:37 a.m.

Park City requires migrant workers because it is a resort city. Many occupants don't actually live there year round. And those who do generally don't have a lot of children to fill the low-end jobs that migrant workers can do (little language, low-level education, manual labor).

• What about us?
    April 17, 2009 6:31 a.m.

I have compassion on illegal immgrants, my wife and I have done things like provided a Christmas for a family from Mexico back while we were at BYU. I love Latinos actually, having served a mission in South America and all.

However, I can't help but lose a little compassion for them when 600,000 actual US citizens are losing their jobs each month here right now. I will be graduating with a master's degree soon and it is scary how hard it is to find a job! I've had very little luck so far in my job search.

Maybe I will go to Mexico to look for a job.

• Rage
    April 17, 2009 5:51 a.m.

The rich company owners that have taken advantage of these people are the bad guys, not the immigrants. They reap the short term profits, give money to our politicians, and the tax payers have to educate and feed the children of the undocumented. We have a new underclass. One day they won't be happy continually being at the bottom and all hell will break loose.

• Foreign nationals
    April 17, 2009 4:25 a.m.

And what about the american dream for the unemployed americans that these illegal foreign nationals, immigrants the press and government likes to call them, have forced in to unemployment and slave labor wages? The plight of these illegal aliens gets no sympathy from the american people and they should all be sent back to where they come from. We don't need them as a burden on society with their greedy welfare hands stuck out for what tax payers are providing. The dream of americans is more important and disastrous to the economy and the american way of life. The press must stop calling them immigrants, they are illegal alien criminals as soon as they set foot on american soil. Treat them accordingly and stop pandering this plague on america.

• K
    April 17, 2009 2:47 a.m.

Why is it that the media talks of documented and undocumented immigrants the same way?

I have little sympathy for someone who is undocumented to not get employment. It's illegal to hire someone who isn't supposed to be here.

• Sevin
    April 17, 2009 2:33 a.m.

Everybody is hurting right now.

It would be nice if the local papers wrote articles about Americans that are out of work, instead of the constant focus on illegal aliens.

I have two relatives that are legal citizens that work in Park West as housekeepers. Not all people from Park city hire illegals.

• Compassion with Reason
    April 17, 2009 2:29 a.m.

Yes, these people need work, but they also need to respect the borders of our country, when I have entered Mexico, it was quite a ritual to go through, but that is the "hones" "proper" way and anyone that avoids the appropriate way is showing a propensity for law and probably will not have any respect for any laws and thus the high number of illegals committing crimes, I do not see it as a negative that the illegals are going back home. Why call them undocumented aliens, they are illegals and that is that. And as for the work and the low wages, get rid of the illegals and Sizzler and others will hire legal workers at a decent wage and will not raise prices because of competition. This is the natural way and not the way to save businesses money and pocket the difference in salaries. It is the crooked businesses like Sizzler that hire these and say it is none of their concern.

• Anonymous
    April 17, 2009 2:10 a.m.

*** "If the Hispanic community was a threat to the jobs of middle income white people, they would have already been a threat prior to the recession," says Sutherland Institute President Paul Mero, who has argued for greater compassion for undocumented immigrants. ***

Of course he advocates greater "compassion" - he's paid by his business sponsors to do so. How CONVENIENT that his and their business interests manage to dovetail perfectly with their so-called compassion. Additonally note that he says that illegal immigrants aren't a threat to "MIDDLE INCOME white people." Note he does not mention, nor seem to care about, lower income white people, lower income black people, or lower income legal Hispanic people.

• Wilkey
    April 17, 2009 2:04 a.m.

Wha-huh???? I thought mass unlimited immigration was supposed to lead us to the braod sunlit uplands of eternal uninterrupted economic growth? Where's my utopia, dangit?

Note that over 60% of foreclosures, by dollar value, come from heavily Hispanic, illegal immigrant-occupied California. This is the future the Deseret News and all its fellow travellers have brought us. Thanks.

I don't cry for these illegals. I don't cry for their employers. They came here through a broken window. You do not build a great country by rewarding such behavior. You do not build a great country by rewarding businessmen who bribe Congress to turn a blind eye.

• Political Correctness
    April 17, 2009 1:23 a.m.

Why does the media insist on referring to these criminals as immigrants, they are illegal aliens, who have forced their way into my home and taken advantage of our resources. They should be deported immediately. If they are leaving voluntarily, that's a positive thing, but take your junk with you. Now we will have to bear the cost of cleaning up the old trucks and boxes of trash they are leaving behind. As for the employers who hire them, they are just as bad and should be prosecuted. I do feel compassion, but for all the Americans who are out of work. To Compassion, sorry but there are many Americans who would work as handymen, fixing leaky faucetts and light switches, even for low wages. By the way, I don't care if you here illegally from Canada, South America, Europe, Asia or anywhere else on the planet, you have flaunted our laws and should be deported. You are not entitled to the American dream!

• Selvin
    April 17, 2009 12:13 a.m.

Not so ironic, that's how people stay wealthy.

I have two relatives that work in Park West housekeeping. They have friends trying to get work there also. They are not illegal, so it's not everyone in the Park city area that feels a need to hire illegal workers.

The recession affects all of us, benefits are cut, jobs are lost. This country needs to hunker down and ride out the storm.

• Compassion
    April 16, 2009 11:10 p.m.

I am not in favor of undocumented aliens working here, but it s a fact of life as most of us will not work for that low of a wage or conditions. I do feel compassion for them, as they do have families which they are trying to support. Ironic though that so many work in Park City where most of Utah's money and wealthy citizens are.