Schools can cut 5 days, board says

State body gives guidelines for the money-saving action

• Provo High Teacher
    March 12, 2010 1:24 p.m.

If teachers take furlough days the days will come back when there is money. If we cut teacher benefits or programs they will never come back. Furlough days are the only option that is fair. It is a burden for the teacher, student, parent, janitor, lunch lady, and administrator.

Furlough days are also fair when cut in equal percentages. An employee with a 320 day contract must be cut the same percent of days as the employee with a 150 day contract. All of us must shoulder the burden.

Only cut things that will come back when there is money. Days and Athletics

• Anonymous
    April 28, 2009 10:10 p.m.

• Teacher
    April 8, 2009 10:26 p.m.

That's fine if we cut 5 days a year to save money, but if it's only teachers than there is something wrong. District workers, principals, etc. should all lose 5 days pay if they want to actually save a decent amount of money. And how about we stop docking teacher pay while still spending money on things that don't matter? Alpine School District is paying over 6 digits just to remodel the front of Lakeridge Junior High. The school didn't need it. How about making some budget changes to useless expenses too?

April 8, 2009 8:00 p.m.

Mac, How about you do some real math? 180 school days for 8 hours a day (or 9 or 10 if youre a normal teacher) at $30,000 in pay (if your lucky thats your starting pay) is only $20 per hour. That sounds great but for a college graduate its not that tempting. The fact is many teachers work very hard, maybe not 100 hours a week, but definitely more than eight hours a day. Go take a drive by any elementary school in the evening and you will see many teachers cars still parked there. You ask how hard is it to teach the same thing year after year? Well, there are very few teachers that teach the same thing year after year. The curriculum changes every year and many teachers switch grades or classes each year. By the way, teaching is not an easy job because they have to deal with ungrateful people like you. Think before you write you write Mac.

And Cyberian, thanks.

• Proud Mary
    April 8, 2009 4:41 p.m.

Mac | 3:34 p.m. April 6, 2009

Did you not do good in school? Did teachers try to push you to your maximum effort in the classroom and beyond. Yet, you refused because you were to busy sleeping in class or causing problems.

Now your working some dead end job because you did not value education and reality has set in. Minimum wage just is no longer cutting it for you and your case of Lite Brewski's.

Consequently, you are having to lash out with false facts about teachers that tried to help you become a better person.

I hear you talking about how easy it is to teach...go get a degree or two (OOPS to late) and come give it a go tough guy.

Once again the people who talk the most trash are the weakest!!! Todays generation of learners would chew you up and spit you out on all levels!! TALK TALK TALK...Honestly!!!

Poor baby...get back to the grill you burger flipper you!!! I'll take mine with some of your world famous "weak sauce" aka your uneducated comments on teachers and the like!!!

Get a grip hero; I mean zero!!!!

• Science Teacher
    April 7, 2009 10:10 p.m.

I have so many kids, even at this point in the year, I am still confused with names.

Taking away any of my prep days just means less instruction. I have a job to do. In order to do that job, I must prepare. I'm tired of preparing on my own time, my family's time, and my weekends and nights. I'll just pop in a video until I'm prepared.

Your child learns less, I get my job done. Problem solved.

Oh... and I'm paid less and less (aren't we already one of the lowest paid states?) :(

Once again, the brunt is borne by the teacher. You don't hear a thing about state level cuts, do you?

• To Mac
    April 7, 2009 7:57 p.m.

Teachers do not teach the same thing year after year; curriculum changes and teachers add/delete/modify their lessons every year. They also take inservice classes to stay current on the latest research in education. You obviously have a lot of disdain for the profession. Lucky for you, you live in Utah, so your kids are hopefully overlooked and not cared about in the overcrowded, underfunded schools. I could care less about the kids in my overcrowded class who have parents like you. Don't kid yourself into thinking teachers care about your kids when you have such a dismissive, arrogant attitude towards teachers.

• Educrat
    April 7, 2009 6:01 a.m.

The average starting pay is about 10K less than your quote. It should be somewhere close to 28K now, not the pie in the sky 38k you gave.

No days should be cut. Most teachers are willing to put in those days for free to keep their jobs, and to benefit children. While it is disappointing having to eat Ramen noodles for a few weeks, we'll survive.

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2009 5:51 p.m.

All of you fail to realize that if you take away the last two days of school, teachers will just move those end of the year activities to the new "last day of school." Same with Christmas break... you take a day off there, and the classrooms will just celebrate their festivities earlier. Any way you cut it, students are still going to be losing out on their education. This whole thing is an outrage if you ask me. Why not just have a salary freeze for a couple of years for ALL employees of the district to make this fair? It is completely unethical to cheat students out of their learning days and to cheat teachers out of their Quality teaching days.

• matt
    April 6, 2009 5:24 p.m.

Not a hard thing to cut 5 days when you realize, at least where I went to school in Provo and Orem, that the last 2 days of school you do nothing, the day before Christmas break you do nothing, and there were at least a few other days we did nothing.

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2009 4:22 p.m.

Mac, you are welcome to come and do this "easy" job. They don't just change text books, they change what students are expected to know. I'd love to see you or any one else who thinks it's easy to come and spend one day and have my classroom ready for the year. I'll even give you a head start by leaving you a list of the things that need to be done. Then if you still think it's easy, come and substitute my class on day with lesson plans prepared and papers run off. You really should learn about what you're saying before you say it.

• Mac
    April 6, 2009 3:34 p.m.

How about we do some math? 180 school days for 8 hours a day at $38,500 in pay, average starting pay here. That is $26.73 per hour before benefits such as healthcare, pensions, etc. For the one spouting off about how "I work 100 hours a week," lets see that means you have only 68 hours of a week left, or 9.71hours per day. You either are a liar or you are at work all the time. What about commute time? What about time to sleep? What about the CPE time? What about time to take care of family matters like paying your taxes? You must think people are dumb enough to believe that you really put in 100 hours a week. Sorry, I don't buy it. Plus how hard is it to teach the same thing year after year after year. The only year a teacher really works is the first year. Maybe if textbook is changed you might have to adjust your teaching plans. But really, teaching is an easy job because you just indoctrinate kids on your views. Right or wrong.

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2009 2:55 p.m.

Judging from the grammar and mistakes in these posts, we should be adding days not taking them away!

• Terrible decision
    April 6, 2009 2:35 p.m.

I am a teacher. If you cut my quality teaching days in order to save money, I guarantee you will get your money's worth.

• re:state worker
    April 6, 2009 1:47 p.m.

Could you clarify for me where in the article the teachers were crying about everything? Whenever anything changes everyone screams that the teachers are ungrateful, lazy, basically worthless individuals. I'm just confused because this isn't about teacher's reactions. Just stating what they decided to do.

• Cyberian
    April 6, 2009 1:26 p.m.

Dear State Worker,

I am a licensed teacher and technology director in one of Utah's 40 (soon to be 41) districts.

I work an average of 80 hours a week. I often work 100 hours in a week. I work 12 months of the year, not nine. I work six days every week, and often find myself working Sunday evenings as well.

I do not get overtime. I do not get comp time.

I earn 20 days of vacation a year. I generally use no more than 10 of those vacation days.

If you are capable of doing math, you should be able to determine that I work anywhere from 40 to 60 hours a week without pay. I do it for the students and my teaching colleagues. Given your attitude, if I were your colleague, I would cut my hours to 40 per week, immediately. Fortunately, my colleagues and students are a bit more appreciative of my efforts.

• Cut a Month
    April 6, 2009 1:19 p.m.

Why not cut out a month by cutting out all of the monkey business in school calendars...focus on academics, and give both the students and the property tax payer a break during these tough economic times? Makes sense, but the teacher's union would go ballistic.

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2009 1:11 p.m.

Yes try being a state employee and you will know whats it is like to not have any more money this next year. We all have to do our part in these hard times. How about that $20.00 fee so that you can have more Troopers for UHP. Because it is a fee you can not claim it on your tax return. They said that they didn't raise taxes but fees did go up. I think they should charge a fee to those who have kids in school and those who have caused this problem. There is no such thing as a free ride I pay for kids to just sit in class and do nothing. Yes it will be eight days off, but it won't be without paid but it will be without kids. Five more party days.

• REstate worker
    April 6, 2009 11:22 a.m.

It would be picked on and expects the same level.

• State Worker
    April 6, 2009 9:34 a.m.

The teachers don't work that long compared to the rest of the workforce. I am required to work 2088 hours a year and most of that time is at nights and weekends. I don't get weekends and holidays off, or days were I can just shut down and get uninterrupted time to get things done. Most of the times teachers work the minimum and always ask for more. I don't feel bad that the teachers feel pick on because of the economy, because my employer has cut my budget almost 20% and still expect the same level of service as before. So, quite crying and get a second job like most of us have to.

• Science Teacher
    April 4, 2009 10:45 a.m.

Expect more movies in my class while I prepare lessons. I'm done going in a week early to work for free.

• Anonymous
    April 3, 2009 9:31 p.m.

They could always shorten spring break and give them a week off at Thanksgiving.

• Anonymous
    April 3, 2009 6:03 p.m.

It's not fair that the teachers have to 'pay' for the bad money management of the district. A lot of money could be saved if positions were cut at the district level. How many secretaries are needed at the district offices? Consolidate, it would go a long way for teachers.

• Anonymous
    April 3, 2009 5:40 p.m.

It's fine with me if they cut five days. I mean all kids really do in school is goof off, or review everything they've already learned.

• Really Now....
    April 3, 2009 5:21 p.m.

Cut them off during the Thanksgiving Week. Kids do not get anything done that week anyway. Families would love to have extra time to travel to be with families. Or cut them off at the end of the school year, when they do nothing but watching movies and playing in class. I always find the last 3 school days wasted, especially when they only have 2 hours the last day, just to count it. Useless!

• Anonymous
    April 3, 2009 4:54 p.m.

Just don't teach anything the first 5 days of school and tell the parents you need the time to get your classroom and lessons ready.

• Let's see....
    April 3, 2009 4:49 p.m.

They will probably cut planning days instead of in-class days (need for babysitting vs. upset parents at having to spend MORE time with kids). But! What about the salaried people? Will they get five less paid days? Will the large and spacious building that GSD uses as HQ see five vacant, non-paid days? Let's report on that possibility? Or, let's look at what all those people actually do to educate our children! There's more savings possible than docking teachers five days of pay. Dig into the district offices and let's see what really happens!

• Re: Anonymous
    April 3, 2009 4:43 p.m.

Agreed! Another instance of balancing the budget on the back of the teachers.

• Anonymous
    April 3, 2009 4:32 p.m.

Eliminating quality teaching days????? So teachers are now expected to put in even more overtime without compensation to get things done? Just another instance of the lack of respect for educators in this country, but especially this state.