Sports

Real Salt Lake has a lot to work on despite being a contender

Comments

• seattle fans
    March 27, 2009 8:22 p.m.

seattle fans seem to be pretty excited to finally have some good sport(in their own words). Lets bring them back down to earth. Yura will run over their small defensive line, olave is gonna CRUSH montero. GO REAL

• Rob
    March 27, 2009 8:18 p.m.

I am lovin the in depth rsl coverage its awesome. I agree we need to make the RioT feared! Bring scarves and flags to the first game to make it a RioT

• Cowboy
    March 27, 2009 6:26 p.m.

If the style of a player and team don't make a good fit it's just plain dumb to call them a bust - nobody becomes a bad player overnight. Like the old adage says: form is temporary, class is permanent.

The failure of Deuchar to be a success says more about the weak state of RSL's scouting network and MLS' idiot lottery.

Seattle 1-1 RSL

• Slimers going down
    March 27, 2009 4:54 p.m.

Seattle, time to check yourself, and put you back in your place. You are just a little USL team. Welcome to the MLS, where the big boys play.

Can't wait to see Montero get knocked on his buttocks by Olave.

• Looks like coach Kries
    March 27, 2009 4:51 p.m.

Is taking lessons from the Jazz on "how to loose on the road"

• yaknow
    March 27, 2009 4:18 p.m.

Real Salt lake is the shizzz and I'm sure they'll have an awesome season! oh and by the way soccer is the number one sport in the world!! that's right beatchhhhhhhhhhh

• re: Garbage
    March 27, 2009 3:41 p.m.

Well if soccer is un-American then why doesn't "America's Game" still belong to America? Who was it that just won the "America's Game"(baseball) championships? Oh that's right it was Japan! Come on over like everyone else is in leaps and bounds! We welcome new comers.

• Tut
    March 27, 2009 2:43 p.m.

Number 4 is right on the money. Everyone needs to be LOUD! I know last Sat was a preseason game but I expected more people and more noise. Let's not disappoint on Thurs. Loud and proud! Go RSL!!!

• Blah
    March 27, 2009 2:42 p.m.

blah blah blah blah RSL blah blah blah. Why are we wasting column space on this doomed organization?
    I wish they would fold already. It's inevitable.

• Scott
    March 27, 2009 1:46 p.m.

I agree with RE: Leftjace. Deuchar is fantastic with headers; the rest of RSL just doesn't seem to be precise enough to give him the crosses that work well with his game.

• .500 Team??
    March 27, 2009 1:25 p.m.

With their record of 10-10-10 last year, RSL earned a total of 40 points, (3 for each of their 10 wins, and 1 point for each of their 10 ties), out of a possible 90 points. So can a math wiz help me understand how 40/90 = .500???

Here is to hoping they make the RioT the same fortress as RES was last year. If we get almost all wins at home, and improve on the road to turning ties to wins, and losses to ties, we will be competing for the Supports Sheild and best record in the league. To much to ask??

• Garbage
    March 27, 2009 1:12 p.m.

This is not a top story and I guarantee this comment will not get posted. Nobody in America cares about soccer! You could spend Obama"s whole stimulus package on soccer marketing and still nobody would care. Soccer is un-American!

• Fedor
    March 27, 2009 12:37 p.m.

I enjoy the comments of my fellow RSL fanatics!!! I am so excited for what promises to be the most exciting season in history of Utah sports!!! The top three goalscorers are back, including Javi who is the man!! The bagpipes will be ringing out into the mountain air and the heavens will shine down on the Rio Tinto!!!!
    I will be there every game...with my shin guards on and you will hear me singing with all my lungs: GOOOOOOOO OHHHHHHH OHHHHHHH REAL SALT LAKE!!!! GOOOOOO OHHHHH OHHHHH ALL THE WAY!!! It's our year!!!

• Kenny
    March 27, 2009 11:29 a.m.

We served him up plenty, and he failed to impress. He was a bust, and we sent him packing. He didnt fit into our style, and struggled to find the back of the net. Sorry, but I'm glad we arent waiting a another year to see him "get used" to this league.

• RE: leftyjace
    March 27, 2009 10:57 a.m.

Are you kidding me!?! Kenny Deuchar was forming a great partnership with Espindola. When those two were healthy they were awesome. Plus Deuchar didn't get the type of service to score goals. He's not gonna chase down long balls over the top. He needs crosses onto his head. Kenny would have been a great player had we used him the right way. And if you knew anything about soccer you would know that.

• simple
    March 27, 2009 10:14 a.m.

so pretty much what the article is saying is that RSL needs to win!

• Carl
    March 27, 2009 9:52 a.m.

Brilliant strategy: score more points!

That must be one that Dave Checketts figured out.

• Great Article
    March 27, 2009 9:20 a.m.

Excellent points.

Bagpiper was at the game last Saturday, playing some new tunes as well. Sounded very cool.

• Re: Wrex
    March 27, 2009 9:20 a.m.

There will be a bagpipe player. He was at the game on Saturday and he's been at every game I've ever been too. I'm excited that finally I can see every game! Plus this will be the first time I've been able to have season tickets to anything! Im a little dissapointed that the first game is on a Thursday because the Office will be on but it'll be worth missing it to cheer RSL on to victory! GO REAL SALT LAKE!!!

• Wrex
    March 27, 2009 8:49 a.m.

GO RSL!!!!!!!!!!!

GO RSL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope there's a bagpipe player at RioTinto this year. That was cool.

• erklegrue
    March 27, 2009 7:51 a.m.

That's a good article. Number 4 is up to us fans, we have to be loud and proud, never putting our heads down because we are Real Salt Lake. Rally together . . .

• Sgc
    March 27, 2009 7:16 a.m.

They still tied too much with Yura as the feature attacker. That's why I'm hoping that Escalada brings something to the table.

• leftyjace
    March 27, 2009 6:30 a.m.

Didn't score many goals last year? Well, of COURSE they didn't. And the reason? Two words: Kenny Deuchar. The guy was a complete and total bust. He had no ability to make anything magical happen up front.

And then the move is made and Yura is the primary striker, and what happens?

Goals and wins.

Not to minimize all the other good things happening with the team, but getting rid of Deuchar and moving on to more talented and dynamic talent up front is going to be HUGE this season.

GO RSL!!!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE AN AWESOME SEASON!!!!!

• PlunderMind
    March 27, 2009 5:47 a.m.

I'm aquiver with anticipation. "Of the chameleon's dish I eat the air promise crammed."

Take it to Seattle. And next THU. I'll see you at the RioT.