Utah

Huntsman, lawmakers' ratings soar

Comments

• Ralph
    April 19, 2009 9:08 a.m.

Congratulations, Utah!

There's a LOT to be said for family and communitarian values, especially when not accompanied by religious/social conservative overreach.

From a Blue/Libertarian/old hippie in Memphis, TN.

• Anonymous
    March 24, 2009 8:56 a.m.

I am waiting to see how UFIRE comes out with their ratings. I don't see where we did so well.

We STILL have Driver Privilege Cards - for illegal aliens

We STILL give them instate tutition rates - EVEN when they are illegal aliens.

We STILL have a sanctuary state - for illegal aliens.

We STILL have not eliminated the foreigners who registered to vote with Motor Voter on our registered voter roles. Yet another item in support of illegal aliens.

We failed to deal with the greedy employers who hire - illegal aliens.

I will reserve my opinion till I see how UFIRE rates the legislators. (I ALREADY know where the gov stands in regard in support of illegal aliens!)

• Gov
    March 24, 2009 7:48 a.m.

Huntsman didn't come out in favor of Gay marriage. He came out in favor of some of the rights listed in the common ground bills. The rights listed, generally have been supported by the Church, even though it didn't support any one bill.

Huntsman's mistake was to not be more specific re: which bills he would have supported. At the time he made the statement, there were no gay marriage or even Civil Union bills even being debated.

• Linus
    March 23, 2009 11:50 p.m.

How can the people of Utah approve of a governor who is sworn to uphold the constitution of the State of Utah, who then publicly endorses an unconstitutional imitation of marriage for gay/lesbian couples? Didn't a majority of Utah citizens vote for a constitutional amendment specifically prohibiting any official sanction of marriage-like unions for same-sex couples?

• Disingenuous
    March 23, 2009 2:12 p.m.

I find it disingenuous that Brother Huntsman came out in support of civil unions AFTER his second election. The issue has been there for a looooong time, but I guess Brother Huntsman has only began 'running' for president. I wish him all the luck in the world.

• Confused
    March 23, 2009 2:11 p.m.

I find it confusing that 80% of Utah favors a governor that basically endorses Gay Marriage. Civil unions is just a ruse for gay marriage.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2009 1:02 p.m.

It'd be interesting to see how many of those 84% who approve of Huntsman actually know what he's done. I don't care about what people think, I care about what informed people think.

• I agree with the approval rating
    March 23, 2009 12:50 p.m.

The turnover within Fort Union, Sandy, Cottonwood Heights, and Draper made a tremendous difference within our legislature for the better. I think it would be fair to account the increase in favorable ratings, at least in part, to this change. Thank you Morgan, Beck, Black, Poulson, and Seegmiller. Your outstanding representations have been noted!

• They did awesome!
    March 23, 2009 12:01 p.m.

For a bunch of liberals.

• Henry
    March 23, 2009 11:16 a.m.

Governor and legislature, thanks for being financially responsible. Now if Washington can only get the message. Let the sanctimonious left take credit for California's demise and please don't send them any of our taxes.

• Ed Meyer
    March 23, 2009 9:05 a.m.

I was impressed with the Legislature and Governor Huntsman this year as well. Their ability to preserve the rainy day fund in anticipation of a continuing sluggish economy, begin the process of health insurance reform, continue road improvement project and integrate a couple of economic development initiatives (renewable energy and film incentives) is commendable. Though most Utahns would be slow to do so, I acknowledge the roll of President Obama's stimulus plan in helping our elected officials make these sound decisions. The only concern I have living in Kane County is that almost none of the stimulus money is being spent in my county while a handful of the more prosperous, larger counties are rolling in new funds. However, that is simply what happens when you live in a small county with little political clout and that's nothing new. The bottom line is that Utah's state leaders have once again done a good job.

• George W.
    March 23, 2009 8:22 a.m.

I was not polled by Dan Jones, so I will poll myself. Governor rating = .5%
    Legislature rating =2%
    What a bunch of losers.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2009 8:22 a.m.

My guess is the people being polled have no idea what goes on up on the Hill. If they did, these numbers would be very different.

• NL
    March 23, 2009 7:06 a.m.

I as well as many other Utah citizens feel that we have a honest knowledgeable and well meaning legislators who do listen to their constiuents. I meet and talk to many of the Washington D.C. house and senate members and the diffence is great. I respect the efforts of state legislators and speak harshly about the D.C. group. We need new people in Washington who are not tainted by big business. Look at California the disaster that has happened there and then look at what represents their state in D.C. who are in key leasdership roles. The effort to drag the nation down to the level of California disturbing. I strongly believe that religion should not enter into politics. I know all have moral beliefs which I totaly agree with but to try and convince people to believe a certain way based on their opinion is questionable. We should all vote by knowledge and involvement not by obligation. We have a great nation and state but the national leadership disturbing and questionable.

• Cats
    March 23, 2009 5:01 a.m.

To Hey Gov: Was that nasty post intended to get a fight started? I think so.

• roger
    March 23, 2009 4:25 a.m.

Wow. A balanced budget?

• HEY GOV.
    March 22, 2009 10:36 p.m.

If you think these super inflated/ego-boosting ratings are going too get you into the white house you had better think again.Those barracudas circling in D.C.will eat you alive and toss the left-overs into the political landfill.