1A boys high school basketball: Escalante matches, beats Rich intensity to nab semis win

• RICH FAN!!!!
    June 7, 2009 6:45 p.m.

WILL KICK butt next year

• help
    March 17, 2009 10:05 a.m.

to all the parents LET THE COACHES COACH!!!!! When you tell them what to do they become uncoachable so go and injoy and shut your mouth

• To: 7:48
    March 14, 2009 6:53 p.m.

You are probably right about Johnson, Motta and Stuart not taking the job now. Nobody wants to be told "we messed up and you are now our second choice". Enjoy your ride on the band wagon and your "near the top" placing at state each year. Could've, Would've, Should've!!!!!

• Football #56
    March 13, 2009 11:04 a.m.

Coach Brown is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so stop dissin on him.

• To: 3:27
    March 13, 2009 7:48 a.m.

This is my point. I do understand that Mr. Motta and Mr. JOhnson did apply. I also understand that Coach Stuart did also. What difference does that make if they are not applying now? None of these three would support letting Coach Brown go. If you think Mr. Johnson (being on the school board) would support firing Coach Brown and hiring him, you do not know this individual very well. If you think Mr. Motta or Mrs. Stuart would support that too, you do not know them very well. There are not any other options out there that are valid. This is my point so get on the band wagon with us and support Coach Brown so we can have another very successful year that could end up in a state championship next year. Please!! Our kids need it. They need everyone of us as parents to support them and the Coach. They will never get this chance in life again. Let's give it 100% effort. All OF US.

• To: Re: Rebel Fan 3:35
    March 12, 2009 3:27 p.m.

Motta, Stuart or Johnson would be a great coach. Didn't Motta and Johnson apply the same time Brown did? Apparently they were interested enough to apply and who knows what other options would be open if we don't try?

• Geo. Peart
    March 12, 2009 7:45 a.m.

These posts are ridiculous. Either side of the argument has no merit if you don't have the guts to put your name with the comment. It's shameful to see a bunch of people throw out their spew while hiding behind an anonymous name----seems to me that is the REAL problem with sports in Rich county.

• Re: Rebel Fan 3:35
    March 12, 2009 7:10 a.m.

Yes we are on the band wagon of supporting the kids and coaches rather than blaming everything on someone besides ourselves as you are doing. Why don't you give us your suggestion for what change you would suggest. If you change coaches, who are you going to get? You want to end up with the young kids that Altamont has coaching? Tabiona? Who in the County are you going to get? Give us your solution. There are three very seasoned and quality coaches in the County (Kip Motta, Cindy Stuart, Ralph Johnson). Even if you were sure that they would be better than Coach Brown (not sure how you can be sure of this but I would at least agree they are all very seasoned and quality people) what makes you think any of those three would every consider the position? If there are not better options out there, why get on here and complain and make everyone wish they had something different than what they got?

• Rebel Fan
    March 11, 2009 3:35 p.m.

You know what all you people on the band wagon supporting the coaching staff at Rich High deserve just what you have. Just keeping pounding your heads against the wall maybe someday you will decide it hurts and want to make a change.

• Re Re Rebel Parent
    March 11, 2009 1:41 p.m.

Basketball is a game of fundamentals. To be a great shooter you have to shoot. It doesn't matter if it is free throws or three point shots. One can not become a great shooter by just shooting during practice. Ii is a year round committment. Those who put in the time year round play, while those who just pick up a ball "During Practice" are usually the ones who sit more often. Coaches often play the hand they are dealt.

• Re Re Rebel parent
    March 11, 2009 12:00 p.m.

As a past player I can vouch that alot of time is spent shooting free throws in practice however the point being made is that the player still has to shoot them not the coach. Shooting is something that is done every night. however if all the time is spent on individual skills when do you work on team stuff such as offense and defense

• Re: Rebel Parent
    March 11, 2009 8:05 a.m.

You said, "A free throw is a shot that has nothing to do with the coaching staff. I bet every player on the team has a basketball standard at their house and could practice that one very important shot."

Isn't that why the boys go to basketball practice? Are they not practicing these there? Oh probably not huh? Why would we practice free throws in practice?

• Reply to reply
    March 10, 2009 8:59 p.m.

How can you say that coaches are responsible for loses, and players are responsible for wins? The coaches contribute as much effort as the players. The coaches can only do so much, after that it is up to the kids to take what the coaches have taught them and play basketball. Rich has very talented coaches and players!! They are a very young team and will do really well!

• Another Rebel Fan
    March 9, 2009 3:52 p.m.

What did I say that would make you think I was offended? Just stating some facts. Not saying I am always right about things. Thanks for your comments and concerns and interest in Rich sports. It is all good.

• To Another Rebel Fan
    March 9, 2009 3:10 p.m.

Sorry that you are offended that I dissed your coach. It is true that Rich is always near the top but they have never been at the top have they? As a player are you really happy just "being competitive and always near the top? Frankly, I think you guys deserve more. I realize that it isn't the coach playing the game, however, it is the coach getting the boys ready to play and I seriously don't believe your coaches gets the best out of you boys. I think the Rebels were probably the most athletic team down there this year, however, they didn't play as a team.....that comes down to coaching.

• SUU
    March 9, 2009 2:13 p.m.

I agree SUU is the only way to go for STATE Tourneys

• re rebel parent
    March 9, 2009 9:59 a.m.

How foolish of you to blame our kids, you should know by now that kids are responsible for wins coaches are responsible for losses.

• Rebel Parent
    March 8, 2009 11:30 p.m.

One more thing: As near as I can tell, if we would have made our free throws in our close games that meant something, we would have taken home the trophy this year. A free throw is a shot that has nothing to do with the coaching staff. I bet every player on the team has a basketball standard at their house and could practice that one very important shot. Valley hit something like 24 of 25 to beat us the last game. Let's concentrate on that thing we could help with. What do you say Rebels! Let's do this! It all starts now!

• More Rebel Fans
    March 8, 2009 11:23 p.m.

OK. I have been as criticle of the coaching staff as anyone because of the past and how my family has been treated so I did some homework and this is what I found. I will start by saying, yes, I like more screens in an offense and attempts to get the ball at the post coming off a screen either back, cross, or from the wing. It was the offense I was raised with etc,,
    Having siad that, here are the facts. Coach Brown has been in the top 8 at state every year except one (which was the year everyone just knew they would take it all). He has placed at state more than any other coach in the state since he has taken over the position. Does he have the big one yet, nope and that can change next year. Get behind him guys. There will not be a change at the helm. Buy into his system and work it. If everyone is going the same direction, we have a good chance next year. Let's go get one. It all starts right now!

• Ya I'll bet
    March 8, 2009 4:46 p.m.

Ya, I'll bet the northern teams would really like to drive even further for the state tourney. If you would have been @ SUU for the 2A tourney what a boring Pre-game. No lights, music, or other fan fare to get the teams and fans pumped up for the game. Go measure the distance from SUU parking compared to SVC and you will find there is more at SVC and it is closer. More new motels etc. are being build in Richfield and will facilitate even better. SVC, also no roped off seating, and you don't have to be seated to watch the game. Those nervous parents that need to pace during the game can do so and still watch the game. SVC over SUU bar none!!!!!!!!!!!

• Discouraged at the SVC
    March 8, 2009 4:13 p.m.

I was discouraged as well with the SVC. I enjoy going to Cedar to the Centrum. I think they need to get back to SUU its alot better facility

• Another Rebel Fan
    March 8, 2009 2:52 p.m.

It's pretty stupid and pathetic when some people from the same county diss on the coach. I don't care what you people think. Coach Brown is one heck of a coach, but it happened to be that Escalante was flat out better than the Rebels. Yes, I agree Escalante's coach is amazing, but so is Brown and I don't see how people can go off saying he isn't. Rich is in the mix of the best teams every year and it sometimes doesn't go their way. That's life! The rebels are competitive every year and are always near the top. But, it's the players that play the game and the coaches can only do so much, and as far as I can see it, Coach Brown does a lot. I play for him and he is a great coach, so don't come on here and say he isn't. You obviously don't know the guy very well. Anyways, congrats Rebels and hold your heads up. You still rock and we love you. Thanks Coach Brown for another great year!

• Rebel Fan
    March 8, 2009 1:58 p.m.

Surprised observer above said, "You must be a Rich fan not to think that Rich was not clearly outplayed and out coached."
    I'm a Rich fan and I know we were outplayed and more importantly out coached. Its beyond me why everyone else sitting in the SVC can see we get out coached and our school board cannot see it. (By the way 4 out of 5 school board members plus the superintendent were in attendance at the games.) Hey school board....maybe its time for a change!!!! Think about it!!!

• fan
    March 8, 2009 12:54 a.m.

First i dont know how duchesne ever beat rich in the season because rich is tough and duchesne was just average. Rich definatly had a better football team than escalante the only problem is we were playing basketball. The next thing we need to talk about is region 15 domination and the fact that Dugway finaly won a game at state. The bottom line here is that the best team in the state won the championship and that is how it is supposed to be. Really Escalante has been the best team in the state for 5 strait years and has only won it 3 of the 5 times and that my friends is why we play the tourney. Was it just me or was there a serious drop in the number of people that showed up to the tourney this year, I was kind of shocked at all the empty seats in the house. The SVC was only half full at best. Maybe everybody knew the Moquis were going to kick butt maybe the economy. I dont know, wondering if anybody else had any thoughts on the situation.

• Complaining
    March 7, 2009 11:20 p.m.

People were complaining that Richfield is in Piute's backyard. But if the tournament was held at SUU everyone would be complaining about the tourney being held in Milford's (40mins away) and Panguitch's back yards (1.5 hours)

• Anonymous
    March 7, 2009 11:15 p.m.

I think it's just the same person over and over making comments under a different name in favor of going back to SUU. Everyone I talk to is very impressed with SVC. From my experience the prices for food and distance for parking are about the same. More seating is a plus to SUU, but did you see how many seats were not filled at SVC, even in the championship game?

• I agree lets go back to SUU
    March 7, 2009 8:23 p.m.

I agree i thing we should have the 1A tournament back in Cedar at the Centrum on the campus of Southern Utah University

• Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
    March 7, 2009 8:16 p.m.

Last time I checked, this article was about the Escalante/Rich game last night, not whether we should go to Cedar City or not. Comment on the boys or the game or your thoughts concerning actual basketball, folks. Enough about the debate of whether SUU or SVC hosts a better tournament.

• SUU is the best
    March 7, 2009 4:54 p.m.

Lets get the tourney back at SUU. I have been really disappointed with the 1A tourney at the Sevier Valley. SUU puts on a wonderful tourney.

• Re:re:1a traveler and fan
    March 7, 2009 4:50 p.m.

SUU puts on a way better show then SVC I would much rather go to SUU than SVC. Better people, really well organized, and a great college floor. I have been really disappointed with SVC and i dont know why they are having it at the SVC. SUU is a great place to hold the state tournament.

March 7, 2009 3:04 p.m.

WOW! I would love to debate you on the facts.

Fact no.1 seating at SVC OR SUU?
    Fact no.2 food available within the building.
    Fact no.3 parking and access
    Fact no.4 support by SVC/SUU toward business community.
    Fact no.5 bringing food(healthy) from outside building.
    Fact no.6 choices to eat or sleep in comminity.
    Fact no.7 mud or concrete.

Shall I stop now or continue on?

P.S. I.ve been to more basketball games at both places than your whole family!!

March 7, 2009 2:41 p.m.

People from sevier coiunty are the only ones that would complain about moving the tourneys to SUU. It doesn't take much to zero in on that fact!

• SUU
    March 7, 2009 2:26 p.m.

I feel like the tourney needs to move back to SUU as well. Its just dont have the same feeling to it like to old 1A tourneys that used to. Its not at the college setting, and it dont have the hype like when it is held at SUU. At SUU we got a lot more media coverage and exposure there as well. SVC is just NOT like the great tourneys like they used to have at SUU. Get the tourney back to SUU UHSAA

• 1a fan SUU IS BETTER
    March 7, 2009 2:14 p.m.

I went to 2a last week at SUU and i felt like they put on alot better show that the SVC. Just like the above JUST A THOUGHT, I agree with everyone of his Comments. We need to get the UHSAA to move the Tourney back to SUU. It was fun there.

• surprised observer
    March 7, 2009 12:30 p.m.

I watched the same game you did. the Escalante and Rich kids patted each other on the back picked each other up and played very very hard. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. You must be a Rich fan not to think that Rich was not clearly outplayed and out coached. Each quarter Escalante pulled farther and farther ahead. At the end of the game for the last 15 seconds the boys shook hands because the game was over before the clock expired. Good play fairly officiated and the correct result. A good basketball team beat a group of good athletes.

• New Rebel "Boys" B-ball fan
    March 7, 2009 11:19 a.m.

I am usually not much of a fan of The Rich Rebels, because of their poor sprotsmanship. But I have watched these boys this week and have been very impressed. One of the best things about these guys is that they ore such great sports when everyone around them is so negative. Rich's Girls (B-ball and V-ball) and fans, as well as the rest of 1A should learn from these guys. I don't think the best team won last night, athletically or sportsmanship. Thanks guys!!!

• SUU Tourney
    March 7, 2009 10:50 a.m.

I attended the 2A boys and girls state championship games last week @ SUU and was disappionted with the state chapionship pregame. No excitement. SVC puts on the best tourney I've been to, and yes I've been to many.

• 1A traveler and fan
    March 7, 2009 10:39 a.m.

For the JUST A THOUGHT COMPLAINER. Apparently you havent been to SUU lately. No fan on the floor after the game to congratulate the winning team, no food court in the arena so you can watch the games while waiting for your food and last but not least "fool" the prices are the same. So before you start condeming the SVC look around; fan friendly areana, plenty of parking(just because you don't like to walk 200 yards)and basically the same food for the same price, and Richfield isn't in 1A, THEY ARE IN THE CENTER OF THE STATE AND FAN FRIENDLY AGAIN. SO NEXT TIME GET THE FACTS BEFORE YOU CONDEM Thanks UHSAA for choosing Richfield as your sight

• Re Rebel Fan
    March 7, 2009 10:31 a.m.

You guys really are great. The Rich band was awesome.

• 1A South
    March 7, 2009 10:10 a.m.

What a great tournament all around! Every game yesterday was close, fun to watch but you boys are going to kill a fan one of these days! I was shaking for hours! These kids bring their best every year and give us some great entertainment! It sucks to see any of the teams loose games like yesterday, when you know they played their hearts out and left it all on the floor. And may I say great refs this year! I have been very impressed with how they have let the kids play a physical game and called it very fairly. And what awesome 1A fans! Thanks for the comments Rich fans, it is always a good experience playing a classy bunch like you all. You will have an amizing team next year, they are young, they will be fun to watch next year. Watch out for Rich, Valley, Milford, and Piute next year. Go Moquis, that was by far your best game this year! One more boys!

• Rebel Fan
    March 7, 2009 9:26 a.m.

Rebels I just wanted to tell you what a class act you are! Seniors we are going to miss you next year! Go play hard and bring home a trophy!

• Wow!
    March 7, 2009 9:23 a.m.

Last night was one of the more entertaining games I have watched in a long time. The end result in this basketball fan's opinion was this: Rich has extremely good athletes and a couple of really good basketball players. Escalante has some very good athletes and 5-6 really good basketball players. I thought that was the difference. Too many weapons for the Rebels to contain. A couple of other thoughts: For RIch, #11 is the real deal. He could play on most teams in the state; #13 did a fantastic job shadowing Hughes last night. #31 gets the absolute most our of his 5' 8" or whatever frame. Your only problem Rich is you don't have a consistent outside game, but man, you play hard.
    For the Moquis, you just come at people in waves. Everyone attacks the basket, most can shoot from outside, and when someone smacks you in the mouth, you smile and smack back even harder. Fun stuff!
    Good luck tonight, boys, and Greg, way to go. I am sure you're making the Piute people wish they hadn't been so hasty to cut you loose.

• Anonymous
    March 7, 2009 9:23 a.m.

The Rich team is a class act! They played a tough game, and they never gave an inch. I never saw one of them play dirty, if an Escalante player went down, a Rich player was right there to help him up. Good luck against Valley.

Excellent game, it was good to see them play all 4 quarters. Duchesne has a tough defense, but the Moquis are up to the task.

Good luck Moquis, I will be there to cheer you on.

March 7, 2009 9:01 a.m.

• From a Region 15 fan.
    March 7, 2009 7:50 a.m.

Thanks Rich Boys for your great attitude and sportsmanship, in your wins and losses. I am very impressed.

• Good Luck GUYS
    March 7, 2009 12:19 a.m.

Real impressive guys! WOW and the coach dreamed it must be destiny!

• Fan
    March 7, 2009 12:03 a.m.

Good luck Coach Greg, this has been a great match up over the years. We'll still be friends even if you win!