Utah

World-class cyclist loses nearly everything in theft

Burglars take almost all his possessions from his S.L. home

Comments

• racer
    March 2, 2009 12:28 p.m.

I think DZ is amazing, but I don't understand when you are away from your home for over 6 months a year that you don't have an alarm or something on your house. DZ is very private and I am sure his neighbors don't know if he is coming or going half the time. Hopefully they will find his items and he will put an alarm system in his house. Having your mom stop by doesn't count as an alarm.

• Bozo
    March 1, 2009 1:53 p.m.

To- Anonymous 8:45, what's with you? Are you simply trying to start up something on here--like maybe a fight? What does your comment have to do with David Z. the Cyclist?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 27, 2009 8:45 a.m.

Utah is no better than the rest of the country, even though people think they are....

• One of your Uncles
    Feb. 26, 2009 11:36 a.m.

I can't believe my sister needs to communicate with you through Desert News posts... As for me I'll just call you later...

• Good news
    Feb. 25, 2009 10:41 p.m.

I just heard on the news that the cops recovered his car and arrested some dude. Whooo hooo!

• Dog watch
    Feb. 25, 2009 10:31 p.m.

Sheesh! Some people really have low-grade neighborhoods. Man, in my neighborhood my neighbors stand by their windows all day long peaking out of their curtains and blinds. My neighbors are in the know of everyone's business, and some of my neighbors even use binoculars to keep watch on the neighbors dog and cat. Like old man john who keeps watch on all the neighbors, and a pretty nosy old man at that.

Perhaps David Zabriskie needs to borrow my neighbors for awhile. Nonetheless I wish him lots of luck in recovering his stolen stuff.

• Chris J.
    Feb. 25, 2009 10:10 p.m.

Wow. I can't believe none of his neighbors even raised an eyebrow!

• Sad
    Feb. 25, 2009 4:21 p.m.

It seems pretty brazen to take so many things from a home. I wonder if they somehow knew the owner was gone (acquaintence, or casing the home), or just lucked into an unoccupied home.

A few years ago some thieves got into my garage and stole all of my power and garden tools, and parts for my telescope. It's a very disturbing experience, especially when the police show a total lack of commitment to even try to do anything about it. Hopefully the news reports will help track down the thieves as they attempt to pawn or otherwise well the items.

• K
    Feb. 25, 2009 3:01 p.m.

Dave needs neighbors like mine...We were gone on a trip, came home a day earlier than we were expected.

I heard a knock at the door, and there was my 80-year-old neighbor with a baseball bat. He thought someone had broken into our home, and he was gonna' take 'em on!

I live in a wonderful neighborhood! We watch out for each other. I hope those days are not gone.

Good luck, Dave. Hope you get the sentimental value stuff back, at least. With insurance on the rest!

• KEEP TRACK
    Feb. 25, 2009 2:14 p.m.

BECAUSE THIS WILL HAPPEN WITH MORE FREQUENCY..DUE TO THE ECONOMY...HOPE THEY CATCH THEM ...WHAT A GREAT ATHLETE..!!

• THEeyepatch
    Feb. 25, 2009 1:36 p.m.

With neighbors like yours...?

• Dont blame neighbors:
    Feb. 25, 2009 1:23 p.m.

The neighbors may have not know he was not home. It sounds like professionals. My grandparents were cleaned out by professional burglars when they were sleeping. They actually came into their bedroom and stole jewelry etc. and luckily my relatives didn't wake up. But tvs, stereos and various items were taken. Neighbors did not see or hear anything that night.

• One of your Aunts
    Feb. 25, 2009 1:12 p.m.

Dave, I am your Mom's cousin. My mother would keep me up on your activities until she passed away. It makes me so sad that there are people in the world who think nothing of what their actions do to others---as long as they profit from them. I hope you know that you are thought about and cared about by many- you don't even know yet! I wish you and your family the best, and hope you don't become bitter because of someone else's greed!

• Big Fan
    Feb. 25, 2009 12:47 p.m.

Sorry Dave -

I hope there is a swift and just reward for those who took advantage of your situation. I have zero tolerance for anyone who preys on others for their own betterment or gain. I hope these stupid criminals realize they cannot hawk any of these unique items without being caught.

Lance Armstrong said it best when his time trial bike was stolen in the TOC - They had better keep in their closet and not tell anyone because if they do, they will be caught.

Let's hope they are caught regardless...

• Eric C.
    Feb. 25, 2009 12:20 p.m.

To Stupid Theifs: It was a burglary, not a robbery.

• This is horrible...
    Feb. 25, 2009 12:16 p.m.

DZ, we are so sorry! People are ridiculous, how can they possibly justify any of this? Sure, some things are replaceable, but how can he ever get those sentimental items replaced. Our hearts go out to you DZ!

• Stupid Theifs
    Feb. 25, 2009 10:42 a.m.

I am sorry to hear about this robbery. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. You feel so helpless and victimized, it stinks. I do think however, that the pathetic individuals will be caught. I am not a former theif, but there has got to be some kind of unwritten rule that you don't take this much stuff or this much personal stuff from one person. What is this theif going to do?

It is only going to take ONE of the MANY things that were taken to be recovered and the theif(s) will be caught. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean all of the stuff will be recovered or undamaged. I'm sorry that it happened at all.

• re:lots of blame
    Feb. 25, 2009 9:33 a.m.

You were awfully quick to preach the lofty ideal of emotional detachment from these priceless items.

You weren't involved in this theft in any way, were you?

• Bountiful Resident
    Feb. 25, 2009 9:26 a.m.

As a community we all should look out for each other. In an effort to stay out of the way we miss opportunities to care. I am a mother of an out-of-towner now too and I check on my son's Bountiful home. I'm very grateful for his diligent neighbors who go right to his door to check out anything unusual - usually it's some of our family members, but they are noticing and I am so appreciative of this. If they weren't comfortable with that direct approach calling the police would be fine with me.

In my own circle I once had my son-in-law's truck sitting outside my house. He was inside with his child, just waiting for his wife who was to meet him there. The next-door neighbor didn't recognize the truck, noticed there was a man and child, and called the police who came to check it out. How nice that my neighbors cared enough about a child they didn't know to take action.

We need to be more of a "village" where ever we live. My heart aches for Dave.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 25, 2009 9:26 a.m.

I didn't hear any mention of Davids, wife and little baby sons things missing. I was wondering if their belongings had also been taken?

• Crawler
    Feb. 25, 2009 9:08 a.m.

This is sad. David is a family friend and a very decent, wonderful and respectable person. David is a courteous person when it come to other vehicles on the road. I hope authorities catch the cowardly thieves.

• GWB
    Feb. 25, 2009 8:32 a.m.

"lots of blame", are you for real?

Things are just things? Like his one of a kind Olympic ring from when he represented the USA in Bejing? How about the bike that he rode to win the opening stage of the Tour de France beating Lance Armstrong? Yeah, that is just a thing.

Also, it turns out that when you are sitting in 2nd place in the biggest bike race in the USA, it gets publicized where you are. He had his mom stopping by daily to get the newspaper, mail, and to check the house.

So, I suppose there is nothing in your home that you would regret having it gone in a fire or taken by thieves.

• Wrex
    Feb. 25, 2009 8:26 a.m.

Dave is an awesome rider and an awesome competitor!

What a pathetic story. Even more pathetic are the comments blaming him. He's the victim here, not the bad guy.

• Himself
    Feb. 25, 2009 7:25 a.m.

I try to be cynical with the folks that comment here, but it is hard to keep up when idiots like 'lots of blame' open their yaps.
    Dave Zabriskie is a Utah sports hero and therefore contributes more to this state then any of our on line keyboard athletics.

This does not smell like an ordinary random burglary. Stealing what is obviously worthless points points to something more like revenge.

• So sorry...
    Feb. 25, 2009 7:12 a.m.

What a truly heartbreaking and horrific story! Outstanding American citizen, out doing what he loves...I hope we as a society can locate even one item. It might lead to the rest.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Don't let them change your peace of mind. You have a lot of support out here!

Keep being a good example for the rest of us!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 24, 2009 9:58 p.m.

It's easy to say "they don't really mean squat" when they are not YOUR things.

They have sentimental value to him.

• lots of blame
    Feb. 24, 2009 7:24 p.m.

the things are just that, THINGS! They don't really mean squat.

Now I want to know why it is the neighbors fault and not the guy himself.

Did he not tell a neighbor or two he was leaving town? Could they have then kept an eye on things?

Or did he call and stop mail and newspapers??? thus alerting any criminal that he wasn't there.

OR the criminals knew he was gone since he races...

still, telling neighbors is the best deterrent.

• Utah Resident
    Feb. 24, 2009 5:36 p.m.

Sorry to read about this tremendous loss. You can't replace the things that probably meant so much to him and he has worked so hard to obtain. I hope they find the people who did this and he can get whatever he can back. Good luck Dave.

• Hope he has insurance
    Feb. 24, 2009 5:07 p.m.

Everyone just wants to mind their own business really, until something tragic like this happens. I feel very sorry for him and hope he has insurance. How many of us really even know who are neighbors are let alone care about watching their property when they are out of town.

It sad, but true.

• Behind the shutters
    Feb. 24, 2009 5:07 p.m.

Why even look out when the dogs are barking uncontrollably, I just turn up my TV, see no problem! Looks like someone gets to start a new life1 Maybe he owed the IRS back taxes, they take stuff too

• Good Neighbor
    Feb. 24, 2009 4:32 p.m.

Why aren't we looking out for one another? I can't believe this kind of robbery could occur while the neighbore stood idly by.

Sorry to hear about this, Z. Good luck getting everything back, and great ride in the Tour of California last week!