Utah Jazz notebook: Still no timetable for injured Boozer's anticipated return

• todd from santa ana
    Feb. 19, 2009 3:26 p.m.

laugh of the day: to the unnamed reader on one of the posts who said watch the Jazz go on a 14 game winning streak.........Pray we finish 6th in playoff race. I am afraid we may need to rely on help to make it to move up, not because of being proactive to make a trade, but hope Houston slips as they are now most likeliest to. No Mcgrady for season official, and losing Rafer ALston i feel a huge loss to that team, he is maybe a poor mans avery johnson but i tink he is an underrated point guard. They have always thought Aaron Brooks is too erratic it will be interesting.

• SAC
    Feb. 19, 2009 1:25 p.m.

I might have been alright with Boozer being out while waiting for his knee to heal after surgery, but, waiting 2 months before he had the surgery the another 2 months while he recovers really showed me that it is not about the team with him. It is all about him. He may come back like gang busters but what will happen next time? If he decideds to stay, rather than opt out of his contract next year, what possible reason would anyone have for trusting him to do what is best for the team next time? He has shown that he has no loyalty to the team already by announcing his intent to opt out after this year! If someone give him a big contract then they deserve what they get. I would advise the Jazz get what they can for him now before he leaves!

• #1 Jazz fan in Florida
    Feb. 19, 2009 1:02 p.m.

Off Boozer already! He knows he is in a contract year and sitting out with an injury does not help impress possible suiters. Don't you think for that reason alone he would rather be out there playing? Don't you think for that reason alone this gives credibility to his injury situation? All injuries are different, I've had doctors tell me that. Booz, I hope your back soon, but don't risk your career and try coming back early for a lot of people who do not understand what your going through. As far as trades, the only thing I would really try to do is trade some of 2's and 3's that are logged jammed (Morris, Brewer, Miles) for one who could play both positions, play both offense and defense consistently, and make us an instant contender with what we have (it may have to be a package deal - although I would like to keep Miles). Players in mind - Jefferson and Carter.

• Matty P.
    Feb. 19, 2009 9:40 a.m.

Why do we want Boozer... When we have Milsap. If we keep Boozer we want be abel to affored Milsap. Hes young and will be worth the money. Get rid of Boozer!!!! The only way to win a championship is to get rid of the DRAMA... meaning Boozer.

• noneya
    Feb. 18, 2009 9:03 p.m.

boozer wouldnt be anything without DWILL! so trade him release him whatever, but resign Millsap cuz he at least plays defense! Boozer scores 20 and his guy scores 30!! but he is gonna try to get outta playing or whatever to get out of his contract just like when he bent cavs over when the jazz sign him!! so farewell Boozer and welcome Milsap!!!

• Uh Wood
    Feb. 18, 2009 8:13 p.m.

To the Jazz genius that said "Mark my words he will be back after the trade deadline." Wow, good prediction since after the trade deadline is 43 games after his injury. Good call.

• Jazzsmack
    Feb. 18, 2009 6:42 p.m.

Face it jazz fans.

No one in the league really wants boozer.

While you may win some regular season games with him, you simply can NOT win a championship with him.

Numbers just don't tell the whole story,

when you throw in questionable character and his heart, (and his defense)

when you compare him, to players like howard, duncan, garnett,

boozer is NOT a premier BIGMAN in the league,

just a poor man's bigman at best.

• Jomo
    Feb. 18, 2009 4:57 p.m.

All you boozer haters need to realize one thing. The Jazz are not as good without him in the line-up. Without him we will not win a post season series (if we make it) let alone a championship. With him in there we are a championship caliber team. Plus our bench gets ten times stronger. The key to a championship is a great bench which the Jazz have if everyone is healthy. You may not like the guy, but without him the Jazz have no chance. Us Jazz fans need to put up with Booze cuz when he comes back we will be very hard to stop. Booze will be in mid season form during the playoffs which will also help. Get back soon Booze GO JAZZ!!!!

• I don't doubt
    Feb. 18, 2009 4:54 p.m.

Boozer is injured- he did have surgery, but the guy misses so many games it's ridiculous! The jazz need a good PF yes, and "microsoft" (boozer) is good when he plays but the guy no doubt has a serious problem staying healthy.. I hope the jazz can get out from under him this summer after he has regained some value. He has not lived up to his contract and he expects a raise???- Bottom line HE IS NOT WORTH IT!

• Ross
    Feb. 18, 2009 2:48 p.m.

The best part of all of this, is that the NBA still has not gotten to see the Jazz at full strength. Boozer helps out the team. Booz and D-Will are great friends and have great chemistry on the court. Them playing together is an advantage. Boozer will heal. He will play again. The Jazz will make a run in the playoffs. Just you wait!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 1:30 p.m.

Boozer is a big key if the jazz want to go far, he draws double teams the millsap doesnt and has a great left hand. At first i was very dissapointed in boozer and the long absence but i'll tell you what...i cant wait for his return!!! Go Jazz!

• Or maybe. . .
    Feb. 18, 2009 1:17 p.m.

. . . he's just another in a long line of Duke softies. It's not likely he'll reverse the trend.

• "Has the potential?"
    Feb. 18, 2009 1:13 p.m.

I rest my case -- unproven, untested, uninterested in a Jazz uniform. If this were a "serious injury," as he alleges, why after a full workout in December was he telling the world the knee "feels great?" He's more articulate than Malone, to be sure, but Malone always told it like it was. Boozer's just an accomplished liar.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 12:52 p.m.

Players get hurt, it's a fact of the game. When they get a serious injury the best thing they can do if sit out and make sure they are healthy enough to play at a competitive level when they get back. Boozer relies on his lower body strength to play strong in the post more then most big players today, so having a fully functional knee is rather important.
    When it comes down to it, Boozer is a great player. He has the potential to be a regular first team NBA player, and perennial all-star. You can't say that about more then two or three PF in the league, Milsap included. I love Milsap, but his ceiling is not the same as Boozer. Milsap could make a few all-star teams in his career, but not much more then that.

• "Come back early?"
    Feb. 18, 2009 12:48 p.m.

Uh, let me think, I'm speechless, uh, uh, let's see, nope -- I've decided that is neither a theoretical nor an actual reality after he's missed 42 games and still counting. Stick a fork in it, Boozer lovers. Your man is a snake oil salesman.

• The Jazz
    Feb. 18, 2009 12:23 p.m.

are doing okay without Boozer. They have developed sets for the other positions. DWill has changed his game. Okur has stepped up (but needs a back up). On any given night Brewer, Korver and/or CJ come thru. Millsap is a beast when healthy (needs more moves).

When Boozer gets back the Jazz will be a lot stronger but also a lot more versatile. They will not have to pound it into Boozer against the tall defenders. They can open up the outside, slash and go inside.

Leave Boozer alone and let him heal. He is who he is. He is a very good PF. He is injury prone. He does not manage fans well. He is hurting his future salary by being out. He should not risk his career to come back early so the same Boozer haters can rag on him for not playing better.

• Karl Malone said it best...
    Feb. 18, 2009 11:57 a.m.

He told reporters one time. "I always play hurt. But I won't play injured.", this is the difference between one of the greatest the game has ever seen and the sad excuse of a PF the Jazz have now.

• Flip Flop
    Feb. 18, 2009 11:55 a.m.

I've been back and forth on the matter, but I really appreciate the non-haters on this forum. Sure we'd all like to see Boozer back on the court and we're frustrated with how long it's taken, but it does no good to hate on him. The man knows his body better than any of us do, what good does it do him or the team to come back before his body is ready. What matters is how much he can contribute when he returns - Get well soon Booz, but let me tell you, if you're not putting up 20 and 10 on a regular basis when you do return, opting out at the end of the season may bring more damage to you than your knee injury.

• B-Loozer
    Feb. 18, 2009 11:30 a.m.

As I said before folks, don't count on B-Loozer to come in and save the day. Cleveland paid the price for trusting B-L and we will do the same.

• Chaz
    Feb. 18, 2009 11:11 a.m.

I just want the Jazz to make a trade before the deadline. Make a trade for a big strong, post presence so when Boozer actually does come back he won't have to play so many minutes. I feel like we should make a big push for Chris Bosh. We could trade Millsap and Okur and a draft pick for an All-star tough 7 footer who is one of the best players in the NBA. Yes Milsap and Okur are great and we love them but it's Chris Bosh.

• Jazz.yes.lakers.no
    Feb. 18, 2009 11:01 a.m.

Why are we holding on to him-put him on the trading blocks-he doesn't want to be here in Utah, let him go-the Miller's are paying big $$$ in an ecomony where Booz needs to get off the lemonade-wagon and go to work for someone who wants him-I'd take Milsap any day over Boozer--TRADE HIM

• LVJazzFan
    Feb. 18, 2009 10:43 a.m.

It is painfully obvious that some people on here are living in a fantasy land. IF I had a knee scoped and depended on it to function in order to do my job, then I would make very sure that it was fully healed before I came back, especially since I have a great benefit program. You don't think every GM is watching Boozer's ever increasing list of injuries and pulling money off the table this summer? Booz knows it as well. He wants to come back strong and you can't blame him. AND the Jazz are hoping to capitalize from it as well. If he plays well before the end of the season the Jazz get production into the offseason. If he doesn't play well he either does NOT opt out or he signs for less money with us. Can't wait to actually be able to watch a game. Hope they play well against the C's

• Zip-it
    Feb. 18, 2009 10:38 a.m.

Re: Boozer is a loser

If you call averaging about 35 against Houston, not last year but the year before, fading in the post season, then I guess Boozer fades in the post season.

• Boozer is a loser
    Feb. 18, 2009 10:07 a.m.

Look at AK - comes back early, works his tail off and makes a contribution, barely able to catch his breath after the game.

Look at boozer the loser - spent more time not playing than playing, not interested in returning, fades in the post season.

Get it?

• Boozer
    Feb. 18, 2009 10:03 a.m.

No secret. High maintenance, low yield.

• Starting to wonder!!
    Feb. 18, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Boozer is a big strong marshmallow! His durability mimics a 83 Cadillac...Exspensive, pretty and desirable but what good is a car if she's always in the repair shop? Sorry Boozer, even a paint job won't change whats inside ... I hope I'm wrong!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 8:47 a.m.

Will you people give it a rest. Boozer had knee surgery. He is injured. This is not a trivial thing. Playing too early risks a permanent injury that would end his career. Boozer is doing his part to return to the court and play basketball. Without Boozer the Jazz can't make it past the second round of the playoffs. I hope we can work out a contract extension with him over the summer.

• AGE
    Feb. 18, 2009 8:44 a.m.

If Sloan is ok with it and his teammates are ok with it, than I am ok with it.
    I am not buying this lazy bum/ zero pain story, never have and never will. The fact of the matter is that without him, we will have trouble making the play-offs. Actually, I think he will need to be at his best if we are to make it. Just hobbling along will not do...

• Miles
    Feb. 18, 2009 8:39 a.m.

Boozer is prone to injuries. That just the makeup of his body (muscles). Then to top it off, his body heals slow, he doesn't tolerate pain very well and can't play through it. Plus hamstring and knee injuries are the slowest healing injuries he could have suffered. I don't think it is lack of wanting to play, I think that's just Carlos Boozer. It is possible that his knee never gets better. Most knee injuries cause pain for the minimum of one year after the injury. He is going to have to play through some pain or sit the rest of the year out. What never gets said is if Carlos plays will he be doing permanant damage to his knee? I do recall it being said that he can only jog at this point. So I don't think he is faking it. Until he can run at 80% speed, no sense putting him on the court. Plus you need your knees to jump and if he has no push off, what good is he under the basket.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2009 8:17 a.m.

If Boozer had a real job, he would have been fired weeks ago. Is he a "zero pain" kind of player? I've lost my patience with him. He did not help the team at all his first year (he didn't play), and he has not helped the team much this year--so what good is he? Trade him for somebody who will play, anybody. Anybody is better than somebody who won't play.

• I am inspired
    Feb. 18, 2009 7:32 a.m.

Boozer is my hero! I think I will call in sick to work for the next three months and live on the hog like him! Keep the good times rolling. Bozzer is a LOSER!

• Timetable?
    Feb. 18, 2009 7:20 a.m.

Uh, said it before -- after the trade deadline expires, suddenly a miraculous return to the court.

• Trade Deadline
    Feb. 18, 2009 7:17 a.m.

That is go time for Boozer. Once the deadline passes, he will be healed. Mark my words.

• Blah Blah Blah
    Feb. 18, 2009 6:47 a.m.

I can already see it now...Boozer has a hang nail, ingrown hair, no heart, out for the season. Give it a rest and let Boozer get healthy. When he's back and the Jazz are winning, you'll all jump on the band wagon again! Get back soon Boozer we need a run through the playoffs!

• Heard it before
    Feb. 18, 2009 6:45 a.m.

blah, blah, .. knee feeling better, be back soon. Holy Crap. Worst professional athlete ever. If he thinks he is getting a big contract next year in this economy for any team...he better start playing.

• Comment?
    Feb. 18, 2009 6:38 a.m.

Take your time, Booz. 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 games missed? Who cares? Move along.

• He is a fraud
    Feb. 18, 2009 6:30 a.m.

Remember when he first signed on? He took a couple of years off or something like that. He just likes a place in the sun and a long vacation. He will come back when he is through playing around, getting a suntan and enjoying the scenery. He is a fraud.

• todd from santa ana
    Feb. 18, 2009 2:02 a.m.

lastly: If we miss the playoffs, in large part, to our rivals (Dallas, Houston or whoever) make deals to strengthen theyr'e teams. I disagree with the "stand pat philosophy or gm has". You cannot go by tonight, the next 3 games will tell. If i cannot make a major deal, and I cant trade Boozer, then darn it if i would not try to strengthen our team. You do not know if you do not try. Kyle Korver has overall not had a good year and neither as Harpring. Some games yes but not consistent for either. How much would it really cost the Jazz to get say "Jason Kopono"? We need another 3 point shooter as our defense will always be average at best. You all talk about Koustos and Fez but lets face it they are not there yet. Mikki Moore, Brad Miller, even someone like Chris Mihms for a draft pick. This is a man who averaged 15 points a game in his career until injuries. Not better than Collins? This is what I mean about O COnnor and "standing pat". Most will likely disagree but i thought it was about a serious run for title

• todd from santa ana
    Feb. 18, 2009 1:54 a.m.

this pains me to say. I have always liked Carlos Boozer game. He is an olympic champion, a star studded college career, a successful pro. The comments and attitude conveys not a confidence, but arrogant, non-caring attitude about returning. Again, i do not get inside his head and can read mind. I can only go regarding the press conferences, and how he speaks and what he says. Maybe he should not say anything. I know, the diehards (as I am along with them) will disagree with what i am saying, the regulars and his supporters. It is still the fans right to speak which is why we have these forums. I think a team would have taken Carlos Boozer. Other expiring contracts are leaving although few. Now I hear Carter for Mcgrady? IF I am Houston I rush and make that deal. I know Phoenix only beat the Clippers., tonight all the frustration was released under Gentry. We are still going to have a hard hard road to make the playoffs and will not unless we go .500 away. No one in this league played better for 48 minutes than Phoenix tonight. If he comes back (Boozer) fine.