Salt Lake woman with world's longest fingernails, loses nails in crash

She's ejected from SUV; nails broken off

• bopep
    Dec. 17, 2009 1:44 p.m.

wow how cool

• plantman7758
    Dec. 16, 2009 9:27 a.m.

To Lee Redmond and all her fans
    Do you want to set a record. Never take a bath. Never brush your teeth. Grow you hair, fingernails and toenails for as long as possible. It may not be the biggest record, but it will be a record.

• nick
    Oct. 22, 2009 12:05 p.m.

I am sorry your lost your finger nails

• cristy brown
    Oct. 10, 2009 8:29 p.m.

i hope they got here nails and donated them to genuises world book of records where they need to be since they where on there before

• Anonymous
    Sept. 17, 2009 3:08 a.m.

Glad she's OK, but how unsanitary. How in the world did she use the bathroom? {Toilet}

• Amy
    Sept. 4, 2009 10:09 a.m.

I happen to know this woman as well. I used to babysit her grandkids. She is an awesome grandmother, who did an awesome thing for her own enjoyment. Thank goodness she is alright :)

July 27, 2009 9:45 p.m.

Does anyone have a update on her health? I been in Iraq. Been a fan of her's since the 80's. Anyone know her address where i can send het an encouraging card/letter

• forgetit
    March 9, 2009 4:53 a.m.

I had planned to comment, but you guys are brutal..God Bless, glad she is ok, just like I would be glad anyone was ok after being ejected from a moving vehicle.

• Ugotme?
    Feb. 24, 2009 12:02 p.m.

It was good to learn of her good heart and all the other positive things stated here. I think the "judge not" lesson is very thought provoking. But right now, more than anything, I would love to see an update on her condition...how is she? Someone let us know please!

• Mike
    Feb. 23, 2009 10:37 a.m.

With all of our technology you would think they could have put her nails back together. Please donate to research today.

• Alias47
    Feb. 23, 2009 9:20 a.m.

I am so intrigued by that picture...

I hope her a quick and complete recovery.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 21, 2009 6:27 p.m.

I think that people should not complain about people giving their opinions on this lady's nails because she chose to grow out her fingernails and therefore must tolerate everyone's opinion. At this point I feel that this lady needs to move on and experience the freedom of having shorter nails. I don't understand why people feel bad about this lady's nails breaking because again she chose to grow them out and has to tolerate it when they break.

• Turandot
    Feb. 18, 2009 10:21 a.m.

Now that her nails are gone, she can finally realize her dream of becoming a circus juggler.

• Harry Joe
    Feb. 17, 2009 7:37 p.m.

Sure it's hurt.

• Harry Joe
    Feb. 17, 2009 7:30 p.m.

Some say she does not hurt anybody............as long as you do not shake hands !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Be a Donor
    Feb. 16, 2009 7:48 p.m.

On the back of her driver's license Lee indicated she was a "fingernail donor" and her transplanted fingernails went out to 7,554 needy carpenters across the nation who had lost their thumbnails after hitting them with hammers.

• MuleKist
    Feb. 16, 2009 1:57 p.m.

I wonder if they re-attached them? I mean, why not? Instead of using stitches or staples, they could super glue them back on. But hay, maybe it is gods way of telling her "enough is enough." lola

• bill23t
    Feb. 15, 2009 11:28 a.m.

Kshlkajhdlashd, do you still have the photos of this woman in NYC with very long nails? You could post them on the net. I have a group about long fingernails where you could post them.
    Was she working at that store or was she a customer?

• kshlkajhdlashd
    Feb. 14, 2009 3:19 p.m.

there was some exceptionally old creature in an nyc store on st. marks. she had similar nails and quite long colored hair, [i want to say green, maybe blue, though.] i remember doing a double take at that one. im sure she'll take the title now.

• jkcook
    Feb. 14, 2009 12:31 p.m.

Sorry about the accident and hope she and the others recover quickly, but perhaps next time they will all wear their seatbelts and drive a safer speed.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 14, 2009 10:32 a.m.

I met Lee several years ago at a funeral of a relative. She was very cordial and hospitable. I hope that she has a speedy recovery and can soon adjust to loosing her fingernails.

• Mossback George
    Feb. 14, 2009 9:47 a.m.

God speed her full recovery, so sorry to hear she was in a terrible accident. Good riddance on the nails.

• Tigressa
    Feb. 14, 2009 7:58 a.m.

Ms Redmond, all of us in the long nail community are praying for a speedy recovery. It is so sad that people have to be so petty and shallow. Long nails do not always mean the person can't do anything. Humans are very adaptable. God gave us a brain to figure ways to do things, from using tools to making great art masterpieces. Where there's a will there's a way! I personally know other people with extreme long nails that can do EVERYTHING, i.e. drive, cook, clean house, yard work, hold a job outside the home, groom and be a very active part of society. The pride is not always in the length but in what can be accomplished with that length. Ms. Redmond had a very noble cause. My hat is off to her. There is nothing wrong with being an individual. If we were all the same, this world would be awfully boring and there would still be those unhappy little people out there ready to throw their judgment because they think their life is so perfect everyone need to be like them. No thanks...I rather am considered a freak than a clone.

• ScottJohnson
    Feb. 14, 2009 7:24 a.m.

In defense of Lee and her nails. I met Lee in about 1978, her nails were just a modest 12 at the time. Once the natural curiosity passed, you enjoy Lee for Lee. Her personality and vitality completely supersede her nails. Lee lights up the room with her kindness and complete concern for others. She raised a nice family and shows her friendship in treasured ways. I hope she fully recovers and so do her fingernails. If you happen to see her, get to know her, shes terrific.

• Steve,Swansea,Wales,UK
    Feb. 14, 2009 3:26 a.m.

The overall feeling from these comments is of warmth and support from the people who know you or have met you. The critical comments are from people who do not know you and cannot see beyond 'the nails' which set you apart. This says more about those people than it does about anything else. I hate to admit that until I read the comments by your friends and family I fell into the second, prejudiced, group. It is an uncomfortable feeling to have a mirror held up to your face and to see such small-mindedness looking back at you. It has given me pause for thought.

I hope you and all who were injured make a speedy recovery.
    If I believed in God, I'd offer up a prayer for you.

• Ian
    Feb. 13, 2009 6:49 p.m.

I'm so sorry to read about your accident, Lee. I wish you and the other folk involved in the accident a full and speedy recovery. And I'm really sorry to hear that you've lost your beautiful, beautiful nails.
    God Bless you.
    London, UK

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2009 4:28 p.m.

bet that hurt...

• Just One Voice
    Feb. 13, 2009 3:23 p.m.

Sorry to hear she was seriously injured in this accident. Why do people grow anything to extraordinary lengths? Because we can... Good luck and if she decides to start over good luck with that too!!!

• Ateisa
    Feb. 13, 2009 1:55 p.m.

I was a manager at sally beauty supply.. the same place that lee bought all of her supplies for her nails. how dare any of you bad mouth her! She is a hairdresser and takes care of her sweet husband with alzeimers! she does fundraising for people without all the time. Her nails are long so what? Don't you guys wake up every morning and put make up on or wear your brand new shoes to get attention? Or dye your hair? hair extensions? breast implants? At least she is using her "attention" in a positive way. If she wants to grow her nails out and help other people in need that is her business. She was in a car accident! Everyone should be thankful she is alive, she does nothing but good things for all. I love you Lee and i hope you make a full recovery!

• Yikes
    Feb. 13, 2009 1:27 p.m.

I would like to know how she ever got anything done with those long nails? It seems they would be a obstacle in ones life.

• Wow,
    Feb. 13, 2009 1:02 p.m.

I'm glad she's ok nand also glad her nails didnt make it. After so long, she probably couldn't just up and cut them one day. Now she can!

Was she really able to do everything she needed to? HOW did she get dressed and all the other necessary everday activities, without her claws snagging everything?? Never mind, dont tell us because then we're sure to see a bunch of people growing some long nails.

Me, I'd just like to grow some normal length nails instead of biting them down with only a centimeter at most. (probably just as "ouch" as having long nails and just as mystifying to her that I have such short nails)

• Roger And Dee
    Feb. 13, 2009 12:26 p.m.

LEE,and Janet are from a large and loving family,their father is nienty-one and is very proud of his seven girls and four sons. It was Lee's choice to grow her nails and her famiy supported her desire to do something different. I would like to say to all the irresponsible people out there making stupid comments they need to get a life and stop critizing other. Lee, is a good loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother and has the unconditional love and respect from all who knows her.
    It breaks our hearts to hear comments from people who has no idea what she is all about. We wish Lee, and Janet a very speedley recoverly and thank God that he carried them through is terrible accident. We want to beleive that we control of our lives, but we don't.We can't even promise the time we have
    here on earth we all should try to live each moment as if it's our last. May God Bless And Keep you both safe.
    We love you both Rog And Dee

• Maddog
    Feb. 13, 2009 10:53 a.m.

To each there own. I find the whole fingernail thing extremely weird but if she is happy then I say go girl! Get better!

• renique
    Feb. 13, 2009 10:19 a.m.

hi first id like to say to sherrie i hope and wish your sisters a speedy recovery...and to me her nails were amazing..and how she was able to live a full life with them were even more amazing...its sad to see her lose them in this manner...but with acrylic she may be able to reattach them...if not i just hope she continues to be the bubbly person ive seen on tv...GOD BLESS ...

• Maybelline Stock Plummets
    Feb. 13, 2009 9:54 a.m.

How did they extricate her from the crash? The Fingernail Clippers of Life?

• Derek
    Feb. 13, 2009 9:53 a.m.

Fine, she may be a loving wife and Grandma etc., but I would be like, Grandma, please to hug me, it really is disgusting and kinda creeps me out.

• k
    Feb. 13, 2009 9:47 a.m.

That would take a long time to polish her nails. :)

• I'm not judging.....
    Feb. 13, 2009 9:04 a.m.

I just think the finger nail thing was totally gross. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

• it is different
    Feb. 13, 2009 9:01 a.m.

Is it wierd? yes, will she be able to live a better life without the nails, yes.

Makes one wonder what makes some people tick.

• Shecky I
    Feb. 13, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Will she still be able to play the piano?

• Craig
    Feb. 13, 2009 8:55 a.m.

It's about time she got her fingernails cut, lol

• Doug
    Feb. 13, 2009 8:53 a.m.

I'm sure we'll all get plenty of chances in the near future to hear more from her. This will be a hot news story for 20/20, nightline, etc. We will be getting to hear her story over and over, and learn about what a great person she is.

Until then, it is fascinating to wonder why in the world someone would let their nails grow out so long. Now think about the new world that will open up to her that she has been missing since 1979:

video games, cell phones, email, blackberry, driving, eating with utensils, combing hair, taking a shower, facebook, reading books, hugging grandchildren, going on a mission, snowboarding, mountain biking... There is a wonderful world out there -- welcome back, and have fun discovering it!

• Kathy
    Feb. 13, 2009 8:47 a.m.

I'm so happy she made it through the accident. I wonder if (by not having the nails to contend with), it will surprise her what she may have cost herself to experience whether good or bad. It would be interesting to hear her speak of how her life has changed by having short nails again.

• English Rose
    Feb. 13, 2009 8:43 a.m.

She should cut them all off! The nails are too creepy. How can a person function in normal life with claws like hers. Truly weird.

• re:Sjerrie
    Feb. 13, 2009 8:19 a.m.

Thanks for telling us about your sister. Whgen we know people up close things look alot different than from afar.

• Nebraska
    Feb. 13, 2009 8:03 a.m.

When I saw her pictures a few years ago, I noticed how thin she was. Right then, I decided to grow my nails out. Perhaps, eventually, it would become so difficult to eat and snack that I would lose the unwanted extra pounds.

It didn't work. My nails broke anyway - and without the pain of an auto accident.

I and wonder what someplace like 'Ripley's Believe It Or Not' museum will pay for her broken nails.

I do wish her a speedy recovery.

• Judgemental?
    Feb. 13, 2009 7:41 a.m.

Those nails were grown to get attention.
    They got attention.
    That's the price you pay, for making yourself the object of attention. You can't dictate what people will think of your CHOICE.

• liberal larry
    Feb. 13, 2009 6:08 a.m.

Where are my clippers!

• David Pickup
    Feb. 13, 2009 2:03 a.m.

And was she wearing a seatbelt?

• T
    Feb. 13, 2009 12:38 a.m.

Ihope she has a fast recovery! I am glad that if
    anything was hurt or broken it was her fingernails.
    I am a germ freak and I think that she will feel better and everything with them down to a normal length.

• TG44
    Feb. 12, 2009 11:40 p.m.

While I'm glad Miss LEE is going to be o.k., I wonder if she was wearing a seat belt???.The story didn't mention if she was or not.As for her nail's I'm sorry for your loss, they'll grow back.

• StellaBlue
    Feb. 12, 2009 9:05 p.m.

I wish you a speedy recovery and thank God you're still with us.
    I've seen her on TV, its been years ago. She showed that she is able to do all tasks involved in daily life as well as her own grooming needs. I thought it was pretty darn strange that anyone would want nails like that, I don't find it attractive at all, however she's got the right to do whatever makes her happy and she certainly isn't hurting anyone.
    A snarky little part of me is glad she lost them, sorry about that. I hope she is going to be okay since she's lost a part of her, I know it'll be difficult. I hope she can enjoy some of the ease of things she hasn't thought of in years. Anyway, Bless ya, Lee.
    (I know, I'm the run-on-sentence-queen, get over it!) =)

• Sherrie
    Feb. 12, 2009 8:37 p.m.

This is my Sister. That lost her husband a year ago. She is going through a very rough time. Now I have two special sisters in the Hospital. Anyone that is so quick to judge, Needs only to look into the mirror. Her character is continually being evaluated by those around her. although we have been taught to "Judge Not, that ye be not judged," we still cannot help but make value judgments. for those of you that judge her. You should conduct a critical self-examination! Lee and Janet you are in all our prayers. We Love you both unconditionally.

• Robert
    Feb. 12, 2009 8:29 p.m.

I admire people who are truly individuals, and Ms. Redmond certainly is one! Comments from those who know her (above) portray her as a very kind and generous woman.

If I ever meet her, I would be curious to know how she makes it through the day doing simple things that we all take for granted, such as walking, bathing, folding clothes, laundry, washing dishes, and more.

All the best to her, and may she and others involved in this bad accident return home quickly.

• Paul B. Skousen
    Feb. 12, 2009 7:05 p.m.

Lee Redmond is one of my finest friends. She did tell me why she started growing her nails, and it's an interesting story that might take away others' misdirected sense of dismay.

I was amazed at what she could do. She lives a full, active and vibrant life.

Over the years she has used her nails as an object lesson to teach youth groups about the wrong of being judgmental. I found her unselfishly attending fundraisers, walk-a-thons, and numerous events to raise funds for distressed, diseased children.

She has carried her share of burdens in life with poise, elegance, happiness, and the fun added element of those long, beautiful nails.

She's the kind of person who is not sitting in her hospital bed or at home right now, thinking or saying the inconsiderate things being leveled at her in this comment section.

I am very sorry this wonderful woman has suffered injury from the accident. And I'm sorry she lost her nails, although those do not define the generous and warm hearted human that she is. All she wanted to do was claim a chance to add some joy and interest to our lives.

• Longelegantlegs77
    Feb. 12, 2009 6:23 p.m.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 12, 2009 6:11 p.m.

Oooffers! The nails give me the hebbie-jebbies!

• regarding negativity herein
    Feb. 12, 2009 6:07 p.m.

I think some of those who commented negatively are jealous that she's in the Guinness Book of WR and they're not.

• Jhug
    Feb. 12, 2009 5:53 p.m.

I've met her too...
    She was very kind and personable. I hope she and her friend recover quickly.

• MurrayGirl
    Feb. 12, 2009 5:41 p.m.

I know it may be weird, but it was her passion. How would you feel if you lost something you were working on for 30 years! Be it what it may, and yes to me it is odd, I feel sorry for her losing her claim to fame. My hats off to her! I always end up biting my nails off!

• I think...
    Feb. 12, 2009 5:41 p.m.

that those who made comments re: her nails had the same curiousity that drew the attention of the Guinness Book, etc.
    We all just want to know how she did everyday things with such long nails. We don't want to do it ourselves, but we would like to know.
    She & those who may have had to help her were amazing to do it all for so long! How much do fingernails grow in a year, uncut, anyway? If you trim them, do they grow faster (like hair)? I'm sure Lee spent many of those years answering many such questions.
    I hope that she & the others in the accident recover quickly!

• Good grief
    Feb. 12, 2009 4:38 p.m.

Lay off her, people. Let's see, compare long nails to, say, selling drugs, or stealing from others, or committing adultery, or murder, or molesting a child or rape. You guys are so bent out of shape over some freaking nails. How about use all that disgust and anger towards something that actually matters? There are much bigger problems out there, and frankly, in your own home. Leave the woman alone.

• Arthur
    Feb. 12, 2009 4:19 p.m.

Reading the comment board has kind of made me want to grow out my nails to freakish lengths. Their presence obviously helps weed out superficial people in a few seconds, instead of having to get to know them for a few weeks before you realize their shallow attitude.

• Rob
    Feb. 12, 2009 3:51 p.m.

I hope you recover quickly.

• K
    Feb. 12, 2009 3:49 p.m.

Yeah, but you know what...

ThOse nails ARE WHAT SHE'S KNOWN FOR! If it wasn't for that, the accident wouldn't even have made the paper.

So, I guess it's a trade-off...You get famous for something, you take the risk of people talking about you. If you don't want them saying things about, good or otherwise, stay under the radar.

Just my opinion.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 12, 2009 3:34 p.m.

Honestly, people. Let's be a little more polite. Let people live their lives the way they want and stop making patronizing comments.

Whether or not she chooses to "handicap" herself, as you say, is her decision.

• Sorry for the family
    Feb. 12, 2009 3:04 p.m.

I had to write and apologize for all the sad people that write in and can't look beyond a person on the outside. What kind of people do I live among that can not even worry about her when she is in critical condition and yet slander her for one aspect of her appearance. I feel sick inside. OK, I wouldn't have nails that long either but I would never sit here and criticize in such a fashion. The internet has great things about it but it is a terrible thing when people think they can say such rotten things. It is wrong to judge whether you say it out loud or type it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will pray that she never reads these hurtful things. May God bless her to be healed and have a full and happy life. (with or without long nails)

• Maria
    Feb. 12, 2009 3:00 p.m.

I think it is terrible what people will say when they think no one will find out who they are! I think everyone needs to stop judging this lady and realize that each of us do things people dont understand, its just with hers you can see them!
    How about taking a minute to pray this lady recovers from this accident! Lets also hope she doesnt see these terrible things you judgmental people have been saying!
    PS If you cant even spell a word that my second grader can maybe you should NOT be judging other people and take beginners spelling!

• Larry Johnson
    Feb. 12, 2009 2:38 p.m.

I've known Lee for many, many, many years and I know her to be a remarkable person. I've never asked her why she grew her fingernails so long because it is none of my business. She never asked my permission because that decision was hers. I'm sure she had and has reasons for her nails - maybe it was just to see how long they would grow. Who knows? And whose business is it? She is a devoted wife and mother, she has a great family and has equally remarkable sisters and brothers. She and her husband built a prosperous business. She has hobbies. She regularly attends her church. She is a giving and caring person.

The Savior said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

One great thing about the Internet is we can be jerks and be totally anonymous. Lest you think she's the one with the problem, note that she hasn't criticized you and your warts and moles, your big features or your teeth. She just happened to be someone who is known for something. Otherwise, she's a darn sight better than most of her critics.

• me
    Feb. 12, 2009 2:14 p.m.

I met the lady at a parade a few years ago, and guess what, she was a very articulate and kind woman. I hope she now can get on with her life without the 'nails' distraction.

• Rosie
    Feb. 12, 2009 1:34 p.m.

I'm sorry for the accident and I hope she'll be OK. But I also hope that, once she gets used to it, she's sees it as a blessing in disguise. She'll have freedom for the first time in a very long time.

By the way, here's spelling lesson for so many of you. It's WEIRD. Not WIERD.

• longtimereader
    Feb. 12, 2009 1:28 p.m.

Lee Redmond is one of the nicest, most caring people you could ever hope to meet. She is a devoted mom and grandmother. It's sad she was injured, I bet she is happy to be alive.

• Blessing in disguise
    Feb. 12, 2009 1:06 p.m.

And i thought the goth chick at the 7-11 with the 1 inch claws had to be careful with the cash register buttons....

• 88USUAggieTroll
    Feb. 12, 2009 12:32 p.m.

Another slow news day in SLC...

• James B Lansing
    Feb. 12, 2009 12:28 p.m.

What a tragic loss, we should all take a moment and be thankful for what is near and dear to our hearts and realise just how quickly they can be taken from us! I will be sure to give my wife and kids an extra hug today!

• Now she can do up her seatbelt
    Feb. 12, 2009 12:25 p.m.

Now she can do up her seatbelt :)

• Thanks....
    Feb. 12, 2009 12:21 p.m.

for all the kind and thoughtful comments.

• DavidE
    Feb. 12, 2009 11:53 a.m.

Time for a new hobby?

• Wouldn't you
    Feb. 12, 2009 11:47 a.m.

be at the mercy of everyone to help you? I can't imagine how you would eat, let alone do up your own buttons, zipper, etc. She'ss have a whole new world opened up to her :)

• Senhor Tambor
    Feb. 12, 2009 11:39 a.m.

Oh, the humanity!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 12, 2009 11:19 a.m.

Time for a manicure?

• WHY?
    Feb. 12, 2009 11:19 a.m.

Why would anyone want to grow their fingernails 33" long? Are people that starved for notoriety?