Utah

Senate salutes U. of U. football

Legislators call for college playoff after Utes go undefeated

Comments

• TC
    Feb. 17, 2009 5:12 p.m.

I'm sure that even Coach Whittingham is getting tired of this. He's not the type that seeks out recognition. I'm sure he's glad for his team, but you can bet that he would rather be at the office getting ready for next year than to be standing in front of the State senate accepting kudos for an outstanding season.

Good job Utes. See you in Provo.

• Re:Zoobs
    Feb. 14, 2009 10:53 p.m.

1) We are glad that cougar will will never be a UTE!
    2) When the Zoobs win it lasts forever (1984)When the UTES win it it already next year.Whatever it takes to make you feel better.
    3)Kruegar and half the UTE defense is STILL open!

• Re: Boo | 10:19 a.m.
    Feb. 13, 2009 2:28 p.m.

"This Cougar would NEVER be a Ute." Who cares?

• One and Done
    Feb. 13, 2009 11:45 a.m.

The utah senate needs to get on to real business and the utes need to get a life. It's now next year, boys!

• Boo Hoo
    Feb. 10, 2009 4:59 p.m.

Our reps took time out to congratulate a program and a School that brings how much positive attention and money into the state from doing an awesome job as a: Higher Eduction Institution, Medical School, and most recently as an OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL TEAM.

No... the problems with society are not going to be fixed in the few minutes that was reserved for showing UTAH FOOTBALL it is appreciated and recognized, or the Boy Scouts or Girls Scouts or several religious and business entities that they do pay tribute to each year.

So all you byu fans and/or democrats or other party affiliations that are taking a moment for sour grapes...quit crying about a short ceremony like this. Whiners.

Oh and don't look at politicians to solve the problems until it gets really bad...They are all talk.

• Ryan
    Feb. 10, 2009 3:36 p.m.

I agree with those that say "lighten up." There's a time and a place for everything, and I, for one, feel better knowing that our state is still led by people down-to-earth enough to understand that.

It's not that I see the world through rosy lenses, but this is a welcome respite from the "catastrophe" hyperbole that's currently coming from Washington. How long did it take the politics of "hope" to be on the outs?

• Your tax dollars at work
    Feb. 10, 2009 10:36 a.m.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we are facing the problems we are. Those entrusted to run the affairs of the state would rather let their hair down than come up with solutions to growing unemployment, a dwindling economy and immigration reform.

This goes beyond sports and and state sponsorship. It is illustrative of the malaise that exists in our country. I guarantee that the creation of good laws would do more to cheer up the state than waiving a flag in the air will.

• Boo
    Feb. 10, 2009 10:19 a.m.

This Cougar would NEVER be a Ute.

• heart of the matter
    Feb. 10, 2009 10:18 a.m.

What a circus. Vote all these boneheads out.

• BCS Busters?
    Feb. 10, 2009 7:57 a.m.

I see our representatives have now adopted a new legislative uniform (wig and all). I like it! Kind of like school uniforms. Clown outfits for a bunch of clowns. How appropriate. Here's a great idea...Instead of legislating a state bill to get rid of the BCS, how about passing bills that would help benefit individuals who need assistance - not entertainment.

• I Second That
    Feb. 9, 2009 6:14 p.m.

I'm not in Utah and I care what the Utah legislature does. Keep fighting!!

• RE 2 bits
    Feb. 9, 2009 5:18 p.m.

I am with you on this, who cares about the Utah legislature does outside of Utah?

• 2 bits
    Feb. 9, 2009 5:01 p.m.

I love the Utes... but this is becoming a joke!

• To Dave
    Feb. 9, 2009 4:15 p.m.

While the Legislatures wastes time and money on issues they have no business getting involved in, this is harmless. And these athletes are probably more "relevant" than you.

• maddog
    Feb. 9, 2009 4:03 p.m.

Lighten Up! So our good, righteous, conservative, narrow minded legilators that most of you all voted for took some time to appreciate a great accomplishment. It might do us all good if they didnt get back to the business at hand. They usually just muck everything up with more legislation that isnt needed. getting together to talk sports might be the best thing that happened to our state. We could actually go into next year without a bunch of frivilous laws. Can we bring in the 23-1 Aggies in next? I'm all for it.

• Anonymous critic
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:59 p.m.

Why is the most important part of the story - calling for the playoff - all the way at the bottom of the story? If it wasn't for the headline, I wouldn't have figured it out till the 9th paragraph...

• KingUte
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:52 p.m.

I suppose I might feel upset by this action and feel like Dave, Whiggy and 'good grief' if the Reps were honoring byu. However, this is a state school and there is no harm taking some time to do this... and I'm a Ute fan and graduate so I like it! However, I do think President Obama has better things to do and from the statements he's made recently he agrees. So, lighten up byu followers and remember you are to be happy with a 10 win season and not worry about what other programs are doing and how they are being recognized and honored.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:34 p.m.

playoff, excuse me

• lighten up
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:33 p.m.

For those that say that this is a waste of time, think again. The U team brought untold amounts of advertising and exposure to this state not to mention the fact that if there was a playoof it would bring tens of millions of dallars to our universities, both public and private.

• good grief
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:16 p.m.

really? This is what our representatives have been doing? I have a feeling we need a good 3rd party to step up

• time and money
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:04 p.m.

I guess the media has it all wrong. These are the best of times. Must be if our elected officials have time for this. Love the Utes. Loved their season and success, but....

• lost in DC
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:04 p.m.

sometimes you need a break from the heavy lifting and in-fighting that can go on in the legislature. If they take 15-20 minutes for a feel-good resolution, they can get back to the real work a bit refreshed and with maybe a better attitude about those around them.

Go Utes!

• Jake`
    Feb. 9, 2009 3:01 p.m.

To Dave & Whiggy- Get serious . What harm/cost was done by showing the team they are appreciated?? Get a life !!!

• Whiggy
    Feb. 9, 2009 2:56 p.m.

The U of U football team should be congratulated. The Senate, however, should be focused on getting us out of this economic disaster.

• Dave
    Feb. 9, 2009 2:50 p.m.

Oh, come on. With all the squabbling over serious budget issues going on, our elected officals are wasting precious time and taxpayers money so they can mug for shots with a bunch of irrelevant athletes? Pathetic.