LDS leaders feel deep emotion at inauguration

Historic event filled with examples of hope, unity, graciousness, they say

• Brent
    Feb. 15, 2009 12:07 p.m.

There is a reason why the leaders of the LDS church are in the positions they are in, in addition to being called by the Lord. They have disciplined themselves in following our Master and Savior, Jesus Christ. They listen to what the Savior would have us do. Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf and Elder M. Russell Ballard have set a great example, one I believe the Master would set, in loving and commenting in a Christlike manner. We should be a happier people. If I have learned anything recently in my life, it is that criticism of others is a festering sore that poisons us more than the person we are criticizing. Is it any wonder that the Savior himself said to the early Saints through the Prophet Joseph Smith, "I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you, it is required to forgive all men." (D&C 64:10) He also declared in verse 8 of that section, "My disciples, in days of old, sough occasion against one another and forgave not one another in their hearts; and for this evil they were sorely chasten and afflicted." Love one another comes to mind, too. Love, Brent

• Critcal thinker indeed
    Jan. 26, 2009 7:26 p.m.

ToAggie fan said:

I agree with you and everytime I read The Book of Mormon I can't understand why so many Mormons are such right-wing Republicans. Perhaps that's why the Brethren want us to read and reread the book. To become critical thinkers and transcend ourselves.

I read it all the time and it always makes me think when I come to this passage in the book:

And now behold, I say unto you, that the foundation of the destruction of this people is beginning to be laid by the unrighteousness of your lawyers and your judges. Alma 10:27

Jan. 26, 2009 6:12 p.m.

Sustaining is NOT voting. Sustaining does not mean blindly obeying. Church leaders are spiritual leaders, not political leaders.

• Wow.
    Jan. 26, 2009 4:59 p.m.

So much anti-Mormonism on this page. It is surprising how many people would rather discuss the "wrongs" of the church rather than the article. I fully support Obama, although he was not my choice. "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers..." We be subject to them! We don't have to agree with everything; this isn't a page to try and attack Mormonism.

• Jo Jo The Amazing
    Jan. 26, 2009 4:29 p.m.

Why on earth should I care about what these people think of the new president. I want real news. I want to know what the pope and other religious leaders think

• To Vince 9:35
    Jan. 26, 2009 4:21 p.m.

Clinton kept us save for eight years and left us with money in the bank. 9/11 was on the Bush watch and he left us broke. It would be great if we could get Clinton back for anothe eight years.

Jan. 26, 2009 12:31 p.m.

the whole picture

Is this what is even partly meant that we cannot live on borrowed light? As far as the unity, love, and support of presidents and other
    governmental officials, that's great, okay. The bottom line is, sure, we will still support with love and unity, but that is not the weight of the matter or the whole perspective of the picture, so let's not use the love and unity as a disguise to hide or cover up other more weighty facts and figures to that picture. Despite of all the love and unity, nevertheless, at times and most usually, we cannot love what they do. Let's seperate that. We still need to keep an ever so watchful eye and educating our governmental officials, supporting them when they support Constitutional laws and educating them otherwise. By their fruits ye shall know them.

Jan. 26, 2009 12:09 p.m.

You must read D&C and pray about it. If you are worthy, the Spirit will testify to you that the Church's support of Proposition 8 conflicts directly with D&C 134.

If you are not worthy, then you may be deceived into thinking there is nothing doctrinally wrong with the Church supporting Proposition 8.

Jan. 26, 2009 12:05 p.m.

I am LDS. Sustaining is not voting. That has been made perfectly clear by Church leaders.

They are men, not Christ. Obeying God and Christ is not the same thing as obeying Church leaders. We "sustain" Church leaders. That does not mean we "obey" them. The words do not mean the same thing.

When it comes to spiritual and Church issues, I listen to Uchtdorf and Ballard and consider it in light of inspiration and revelation directly from God.

When it comes to political issues, they have nothing to say of interest to me. They are spiritual leaders, not political leaders.

• re:Anonymous | 1:20 p.m
    Jan. 26, 2009 9:52 a.m.

I guess you are not LDS? In your comment: "I did NOT vote for Uchtdorf or Ballard, so I don't care what they do or say."

But if you are LDS, at least 3-4 times a year, members of the LDS church are required to vote or rather sustain their leaders. This voting (sustaining) is done at general, stake, and the ward conference level.

Another way to look at it is obedience, the same way you would show Christ.

• To Vince
    Jan. 26, 2009 9:35 a.m.

"We survived the Clinton years"?

Really, that clown disgraced the presidency, AND opened the door to 9/11.

I see NoBama going down the same road.....

Heaven help us.

• Rick
    Jan. 25, 2009 4:14 p.m.

It is amazing to see how unbalanced people can become when they are so severly enclosed in one demensional culture that controls the vulneable mind. We all hope Laura will find a way out and realize a life for herself and the children.

• Laura
    Jan. 25, 2009 7:20 a.m.

Hope gives way to ugly reality. I hope all who earns for Zion realizes what state we are in. The Elders of the church are called to save the constitution. Obama is set on destroying it...ignoring it at best.

So, within the first two weeks of his admin, his loyalty to Islam is proved in the closing of Gitmo and he allows our foreign aid money to be used for abortions. Yep, what's next? The D&C clearly states that He holds us responsible to support the laws which are constitutional......all else are an abomination unto Him.

As for me, I'm teaching my children about the constitution, the divine nature of a free market....so that when this completely collapses at least they will have some ability to start fresh with the same ideals that made this country great.

As for now, we'll watch and have been watching for years as unconstitutional presidents have widdle away our freedoms and taxed us into oblivion.

• Spencer W. Morgan
    Jan. 24, 2009 6:45 p.m.

How exactly would D&C 134 conflict with support for proposition 8?

Jan. 24, 2009 3:50 p.m.

To It's_Chet,

Your post sounds like a convoluted way of saying "Too bad if you feel uncomfortable among Mormons. It is YOUR problem. Get over it. Only the BAD people (non-Mormons) in Utah are not nice."

Is that about the gist of it?

Because YOU are ONE of the hyperjudmental, Mormon bigots, you obviously have to try to defend yourself and your Mormon friends against the hurtful truth that you are all a bunch of clique-ish, elitist, arrogant fascists!

• Pamela
    Jan. 24, 2009 12:24 p.m.

Thank you for your very thoughtful and insightful words you hit the nail on the head with both comments.

Jan. 24, 2009 10:22 a.m.

The Church leaders obviously suspended D&C 134 when they openly supported Proposition 8.

Does the word "Apostasy" sound familiar?

• Spencer W. Morgan
    Jan. 24, 2009 9:51 a.m.

I will always pray for whoever the President is, but I can not pray for him to accomplish his goals. Most of them are not the Constitutional prerogative of the President, and many of them are not even desirable.

What happened to D&C 98 and 134?

• Scil
    Jan. 24, 2009 2:03 a.m.

I did put a lot of thought into my vote. I didn't vote for him just because I felt a warm feeling about peace and love. I would suggest reading his books "Dreams from my Father" and "The Audacity of Hope." And of course, we can't put so much hope into him that we expect too much, but I think he is an honest politician who truly cares about the country. And I do understand it is also up to us; we can't rely on the President to solve all our problems.

• to AggieFan
    Jan. 23, 2009 7:22 p.m.

• south carolina
    Jan. 23, 2009 5:06 p.m.

i did not vote for Barak Obama, nor do I feel he is the greatest man to have ever lived in America (Anonymous)he hasn't done much of anything yet. However, watching the inaguration with my little children (6,5,3) I saw just a few million of all the millions of Americans who are counting on him to make a difference in their lives, and seeing the hope in their faces I pray that he does not let them down. And for all of the critics out there, he will control a lot of what happens in your lives so you better be praying for him. And a Thank You to President Bush for 8 years of service.

• It's_Chet
    Jan. 23, 2009 4:02 p.m.

Ive noticed a lot of people making derogatory comments about Utahans, particularly LDS. Having once lived in Utah, Im probably qualified to say that its largely a bunch of hoo-hah. The only people I met in Utah that werent friendly, courteous, respectful, civil, and charitable in every way were the embittered types who had an ax to grind with the Church or some member of it. I've never seen so many Darwin fishes in all my life as I did every day in Salt Lake City.

Perhaps when a non LDS person moves to Utah, they feel overwhelmed by the predominant culture; like an outsider. Thats to be expected anytime someone moves to an area with a high concentration of any demographic. Whats not understandable is the rancor exhibited by those who have it in for the Church, or the smugness with which even Church members outside Utah occasionally regard those Utah LDS.

Every single LDS I knew in Utah was a beautiful human being. Im tired of hearing non-Utahan LDS disparaging their Utah kindred. Its unwarranted, in my experience.

Jan. 23, 2009 1:20 p.m.

I voted for Obama, so I will support him.

I did NOT vote for Uchtdorf or Ballard, so I don't care what they do or say.

• It's_Chet
    Jan. 23, 2009 11:45 a.m.

It is my belief that Obama is not the devil incarnate. I expect he is bound to get some things right, and Ive already seen him get some things wrong. I am willing to give him a fair shake, and to judge his job as President according to his actions. I will not allow myself to get swept up in a tide of emotion for or against him, which is just petty and silly. I also refuse to demonize him as a person because of his job as President. Care to do the same, Bush haters?

There is an ugly eagerness in this country to quite hatefully deride someone on a political basis. I prefer instead to give Obama a blank slate (as of noon eastern time, 1-20-09), and pray that he will be able to improve the situation for America as a whole, rather than favored groups or policies out of harmony with the Gospel. While I believe much of democrat policy is out of touch with the Gospel, I believe Obama is in a position to do some good and I want to encourage it.

I believe this is in keeping with the Brethrens example.

• Mike
    Jan. 23, 2009 9:30 a.m.

to I felt it too.

You should have reached for your maalox years ago when they decided to deregulate everything including key financial institutions. That is the fundimental reason that we have to have such dramatic, and yes costly government spending. Oh, and also take a look at the cost of "waring in foreign lands" Surely, that has been a load on our economic stability, benefiting only those that have profited from the war.

• A little early
    Jan. 23, 2009 9:25 a.m.

Many have mentioned OBAMA as a hero. Really? He has only been president for 2 days. How can you know?

• I Felt It Too
    Jan. 23, 2009 8:30 a.m.

I felt Deep Emotion Too. Deep anxiety about Obama's spending to oblivion plan, rewarding those who don't pay taxes with my hard-earned tax dollars. Yes, I felt it too. But my deep emotions left me reaching for my bottle of Maalox.

• Zeke
    Jan. 23, 2009 1:40 a.m.

One of the problems I had with Obama is that I didn't know that much about his background or his policies. I never really saw him vetted by the press. He's a great speaker and he was able to communicate emotionally.

And as for coming together, unity, getting behind the President: I didn't see or hear a lot of that talk when Bush was elected. I heard about 8 years of stealing an election. Also, I will always respect the Office of the President of the United States, not necessarily the office holder. He certainly has the opportunity to earn my respect but he doesn't get it carte blanche just because I get a warm feeling inside when I hear him speak. Sometimes I respected the decisions Bush made and sometimes I didn't but I always respected that he was the President--there's a difference. And the same will go for Obama.

• Church & Politics
    Jan. 23, 2009 1:03 a.m.

I didn't vote for Obama, so all those who say I am not a supporter, I don't really care. I'm quite conservative in my political views, especially since I am LDS.

Let's get one thing straight, I didn't elect Pres. Obama, the american people did though. As an member of the LDS church, we believe we should be "subject to kings, president, rulers, and magistrates, and in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law of the land." I am subject to Pres. Obama, because I live in the USA, but I don't have to agree with his political views. I disagree with his health care policy, his abortion policy, his Guantanomo Bay policy he just announced, and many other things, but I am still subject to his choices.

I agree I should pray for him, but to pray that he will make the right choices.

That's my stance, and the church has not asked me to change it, so I won't.

• MrDDoubled
    Jan. 22, 2009 10:30 p.m.

So many people are blinded by party politics that they ignore their own beliefs when it comes to government. Listen to what the man has to say and see what he does. If you disagree with some of his policies speak out in support of your position, rather than against the man.

• Alex
    Jan. 22, 2009 9:12 p.m.

"I apologize that I didn't proof read before I sent my comment. I meant that it seems to me that the apostles want him to achieve his goals. "

The only problem is that he is so nonspecific and nebulous about specifics, that you can come away from his speech believing that Obama believes in whatever you believe in, which is impossible. Speechwise, he is an empty slate. If Obama wants peace and love, then I want to achieve that goal too. But so what...who doesn't?

I can honestly say that I want him to achieve his goals of peace and love too, but that is not saying anything, because it doesn't address how it is to be done. Wanting peace and love does not translate to government health care, gay marriage, and socialism.

• Scil
    Jan. 22, 2009 7:47 p.m.

• Scil
    Jan. 22, 2009 7:46 p.m.

I am LDS and I felt very good about voting for Barack Obama because his message is about service, community, and peace between our county and other countries. It seems to me that the apostles him to achieve his goals that he may bring a new era of unity and peace.

And as an aside, I don't think that Sean Hannity is one of the ordained apostles of the church since I see a lot of his rhetoric here.

• You are wrong Aaron
    Jan. 22, 2009 7:14 p.m.

Barrack Obama is not for many of the things you speak of above. He is not for Partial Birth Abortion. I am a woman, a Democrat and someone who has had miscarraiges. I know how painful it is to be judged because some thought I might have had abortions since I wasn't pregnant anymore. There are many women that consult with their doctor because of health or other reasons and their preganncy may end. It is nobody's business but her's and her doctor (and possibly a guidance person). It is important for those rights to be in place and they will stay in place.
    Also many of the other comments you made are miscontrued. You need to look at them again and not with a closed mind.

• Aaron
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:45 p.m.

Elder Ballard said: "We need to exercise our prayers and help Obama accomplish the great objectives that he has set."

Partial birth abortion? Heck no!
    Subsidized abortion for Mexico's people? Not!
    Socialism? No!
    More bail-outs? Nope!
    Nationalization of economy? No thanks!
    Bigger government? Yeah, that's all we need!
    Marxism? Negative!
    More spending? That's what got us into the trouble we're in!

Just what 'objectives' was Bro. Ballard referring to???

Jan. 22, 2009 5:45 p.m.

Nope. Wrong again. Do you want to keep guessing under the delusion that you have a clue, or would you like to ask for help?

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:43 p.m.

To the 4:46 commentator,
    It is not racism, but showing a lack of it. It is showing that for some people at least race is not a barrier to interaction. I appreciated the statement, and am tired of people jumping on others for including too much information in their reports.

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:41 p.m.

To the 3:57 poster,
    You are the first person who has ever accused me of being a socialist. And at highest the third person to ever accusme me of being associated with 21st Century liberalism.
    There are many definitions of liberalism, and I do know what form of "classical liberalism" you are speaking of. It is along those lines I was thinking, but more along the lines of the break between the liberals of the 1950s and movements that came after them.

• Jon
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:28 p.m.

im so tired of these CLOSED MINDED CONSERVATIVES!! Anyone who claims to be a member of the LDS church and says anything offensive, racist, or against our new president should look in the mirror and see who really is going against what the church says. Its a time to unite and bring this change that pres obama asked us all to bring. Together we will bring it. im so tired of these CLOSED MINDED CONSERVATIVES who wont even listen to what the others have to say. I am so proud to be a member of the LDS church and now its true.

• ps
    Jan. 22, 2009 4:54 p.m.

OK, I voted for him. I taught in an integrated school before 1978 and prayed for the day the Priesthood would be extended to fine young people of African American heritage. I comforted good kids when MLK, Jr. was killed. Today I am delighted that an individual who loves family and is not afraid to be a role model of responsibility stands as our President. None of the politicians, just like the rest of us, is perfect. We do not elect a Savior. We have one. We elect an person, complete with his (or sometime perhaps her) perfecting to do. God bless America, our multi-cultural, imperfect, yet wonderful nation.

• Doug
    Jan. 22, 2009 4:53 p.m.

And how do you know these "emotional Democrats"? Are you also endowed with the clarvoyance to spot the same kind of "emotional Republicans" and are you equally as condemning of them? (You seem an awful lot like one of them! Does self-loathing fit into your worldview?)

• Alex
    Jan. 22, 2009 4:06 p.m.

"Some of you need to realize not all good Mormons are Republican. Some of us are Democrats. That doesn't make us apostates, as some seem to think. "

Who cares? Are you worried about your standing with the Lord? Look, I give political party no thought in relation to spiritual matters. Heck, I have seen Harry Reid in the temple and didn't give it a second thought.

The only problem I have with SOME LDS Democrats is when they are more in love with the idea of being a Democrat rather than actually arguing the merit of the Democrat positions. Some LDS Democrats fancy themselves as a rebel, or are infatuated with themselves in a Democrat party suit. These emotional Democrats are the ones I have a problem with. That is the worst reason in the world to be Democrat. They instantly think they are more different, more individualistic, more equal, more "broad-minded than thou", more global. Whatever.

• One Who Knows
    Jan. 22, 2009 3:57 p.m.

John Pack Lambert,

Your use of the term "Classical Liberalism" reveals that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Classical Liberalism has NOTHING to do with the "liberalism" of the Democratic party. Classical Liberalism refers to the ideas of liberty espoused by Thomas Jefferson and others of the Founding Fathers, and is more likely associated with Libertarianism today. Most "classical liberals" (if they would label themselves at all) are so "conservative" they make your views look like radical socialism!

John, please try to know what you are talking about BEFORE posting!

• LDS for Obama
    Jan. 22, 2009 3:53 p.m.

You seem to be striving to convince yourself that there is more consensus among "your people" (conservatives) than there really is. You are also trying to categorize me in such a way that you can easily dismiss my position as an anomaly among LDS. That is not rational or accurate, but I understand how it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 22, 2009 3:13 p.m.

To Steve,
    Liberal means many different things to many different people. I have read many articles that accuse the Democrat Party of abandoning the principals of "Classical Liberalism".
    On the other hand, to state most members of the Church are "not liberal" is a bit much. If you had qualified geographically your statement, it would have a greater chance of being true, but it still seems to have no relevance to the discussion at hand.

• Thrilled
    Jan. 22, 2009 3:11 p.m.

I applaud those of you who are supporting our new president, even when you didn't vote for him. I was thrilled to vote for him and for his election as I believe he will show by example the way to unite this country.

Those who are hoping he will fail are unbelievable. If he fails, we will all be worse off. For those of you and others like Rush Limbaugh, at least you'll have something to complain about for at least four years--that should make you happy.

For the record, as senator, Obama did not want to vote to change abortion laws because there was no provision included which addressed the health of the matter. Also, he is NOT for gay marriage.

• Steve
    Jan. 22, 2009 2:50 p.m.

Dear LDS For Obama,
    I do not know you, but I do know that 'rational' people understand that labels DO mean something. Their application may not always be perfect, but they are useful for helping 'rational' people categorize things. Again, I do not know you -- other than, that is, what you have told me already. Your support for universal healthcare, abortion rights, environmental restrictions, nuclear dissarmament, increased federal regulation ... all this would suggest to any 'rational' person that you have much more in common with liberals than conservatives.
    Furthermore, I think 'rational' people would conclude that these categorically 'liberal' policy positions are antithetical to the principles of the American Founding -- those who have taken time and pains to study the subject, that is. Furthermore, I think most Christians in this country agree that those positions are antithetical to Biblical (and Book of Mormon) principles. If you don't think Christians are rational, that is your own concern. P.S. Please don't try to usher in the millenium -- America's not perfect, but it is my home and I like it here. :)

• Clifton
    Jan. 22, 2009 2:23 p.m.

I'm an Independent Conservative and do not support the likes of Barack Obama in any way shape or form. He and his party, especially his party are more responsible for the condition of this country than anyone else. For those who are still wet behind their ears, had better take a look, just what party was in power when Roe vs. Wade came into being For those of you who think that the Messiah has returned, had better take a wait and see attitude, because this man being President for only 2 days, has yet to show his true colors, but if you are paying attention, he has along with congress already started his slide into socialism. Wait and see

• John Pack Lambert
    Jan. 22, 2009 1:55 p.m.

To Steve,
    I recommend you read President Kimball's talk "The False God's We Worship". I remeber he spoke of those who put their trust in "missiles instead of the power of God."

• LDS for Obama
    Jan. 22, 2009 1:34 p.m.

You throw labels around as if they mean something. "Liberal"? I do not consider myself "liberal" at all. You presume way too much.

I am in favor of the Freedom of Choice Act as well as nuclear disarmament, but you don't know WHY. My reasons for being in favor of these may be extremely "conservative" reasons. For all you know, I may be some ultra-conservative religious fanatic trying to usher in the millenium by voting to destroy the world as quickly as possible!

Like I said, it appears rationality has almost entirely fled from your thoughts.

• KTM
    Jan. 22, 2009 1:22 p.m.

I expected absolutely nothing less from two Apostles. I am very proud of them and very proud of our new President. President Uchtdorf made an excellent point in his reference to the Obama family. They are a beautiful example to our country and to the world. I believe that many prayers have been answered by people of many faiths in this election. As a very active member of the LDS church I am alarmed by some of the views I hear and read that are critical of our new President. It never causes me to rethink my own faith. But, it does cause me to wonder if some of the same people who would ask someone to pray about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon might be less inclined to pray themselves - for direction - in choosing their elected officials. I for one feel very blessed to have been alive during - such a time as this!

• LDS for Obama
    Jan. 22, 2009 12:09 p.m.

As an active, Temple-worthy Latter-day Saint, I am in favor of the Freedom of Choice Act as well as nuclear disarmament. Universal healthcare is also a good idea, and is working very well in many developed countries. We also need much more regulation and oversight of U.S. financial institutions (or did you miss the Madoff scandal?). Finally, the environmental restrictions are fostering the development of alternative sources of energy that are already limiting our oil-rich enemies' power over us as a nation, and increasing the sustainability of our industries and overall economy.

In your political sour grapes mentality, you seem to also be willing to lash out against religious leaders. It appears rationality has almost entirely fled from your thoughts.

• Steve
    Jan. 22, 2009 11:57 a.m.

I wonder which one of his great policy initiatives they were thinking we should unify behind and pray for the accomplishment of first: Unprecedented open access to abortion (i.e. Freedom of Choice Act)? Nuclear dissarmament in the face of threats from Russia, China, etc.? Or was it one of his many bad ideas (universal healthcare, more nationalization of our financial institutions, crushing environmental restrictions, etc.) which will inevitably weaken our market economy and lower our standard of living? These men should consider their flocks and the responsibility they owe to them, before misleading and confusing them with such thoughtless comments. This is just another example of how so-called conservative leaders have allowed liberal policy initiatives and legislation to be construed by the public as "mainstream" and "tolerant" without a fight.

• reader in AZ
    Jan. 22, 2009 11:34 a.m.

Lets see, In two days the Messiah has opened the doors on future murders of the unborn, froze wages of his staff because 100,000.00 per year is rich, and signed to close Guantanamo without a plan of where to put the terrorists.
    Like they say beware of false prophets or in this case presidents.

• Judith Cannon
    Jan. 22, 2009 10:53 a.m.

My husband and I are missionaries for the LDS church in South Africa. This election of President Obama has been an important event for America and for the Church, in my estimation. It is clear by the election that America can see the value of differences. This reflects well on the Church for missionary work in this remarkable country of Africa with its vast differences in cultures, languages and race. I am proud to be an American and a Mormon who now have a black man as president whom the world looks to for a better future. Africa believes in that possibility with this election and the missionary effort can add greatly to that hope.

• Tim
    Jan. 22, 2009 10:38 a.m.

I enjoyed reading the comments today, They I felt they were more united and less nasty than sometimes. I am active LDS and voted for Obama because I felt that he could accomplish some important things that the other candidate could not. All the candidates had their positive and negative sides. I fell that part of what these brethren were saying is that we need to show less contention and more Christ like love for others. We can disagree without being disagreeable. From my observations the Church really does want a two party system in the Church and in the country. I have noted mean spiritedness from both the religious right and liberal left. It is fine to continue to work for what we believe is good government.

• Idaho LDS
    Jan. 22, 2009 10:34 a.m.

Grimble, You had me until you made the following comment:

A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth."

Than my friend, (to quote a liberal republican) Is absolutely NOT TRUE.. Pres. Hinckley outlined the church view on abortion a few years ago and this statement was not part of it. Yes the GOP view is different from the church.. But the Dem view is completely 180 degrees out of phase. We will never have peace in politics until everyone becomes Democrats. You see only Democrats/liberals have opinions and views that should be heard. If you don't believe that just ask a one. Everyone else are close minded bigots. (read some of these comments)
    Yes the church has a welfare program and helps the poor. But if the person is able they are put to work. Don' even try to compare that to government welfare. I will support the president unless he goes against what I think is right. I will treat the president with respect, unlike many of the people at the inauguration treated Pres. Bush... Heaven help us all. We will need the prayers.

• sob
    Jan. 22, 2009 9:54 a.m.

i will say it again
    the bretheren have a big job ahead of them
    trying to bring home to utah the grace, sense of world community and love that they experienced

it does not seem to exist at the stake and ward or individual level here. and we are americans especially utahans do not make up the majority of church memembers.

• Grimble
    Jan. 22, 2009 9:31 a.m.

I see a lot of people on here complaining that Obama's position on abortion doesn't align with the Church's. Well guess what: neither does the G.O.P. party platform that McCain supported. In the 2008 platform the Republicans opposed abortion in all cases even including cases of rape, incest, or when the life or the health of the mother were at risk. During one of the debates, McCain even openly mocked the "health of the mother" clause.

This is VERY different from the LDS church position, which states:

"The Church allows for possible exceptions for its members when:

Pregnancy results from rape or incest, or

A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy, or

If the GOP had its way, the LDS position on abortion would be illegal.

• Cyril H. Noble
    Jan. 22, 2009 8:51 a.m.

L.D.S.for Obama!.How sweet the words.Inivite Obama to the state to study the Welfare Program. I am sure he would like to adopt it, on a National level.

• Ted
    Jan. 22, 2009 8:49 a.m.

You said "I am sure that many who claim our new president's values differ from ours as LDS have not taken the effort to read his own words."

Please tell us what values you are talking about? I am LDS. Do you presume that you have the same values as I do? Why? Isn't that a bit self-centered? Has it ever occurred to you that other LDS believe differently than you? That we have different values than you? Who knows if we share the same values unless we talk specifically about them.

What values are you talking about?

• Dear Bette
    Jan. 22, 2009 8:25 a.m.

Your ward, specifically members of it who make comments, aren't 'The Church' just members of it. If Sunday School gets political, tell them so. If you don't want to, I will.

• Comments aren't discussion board
    Jan. 22, 2009 8:17 a.m.

To all the people trying to make political statements, I think you've missed the whole point of this article. It really doesn't matter what's occurred to this point in the political discourse of the country, the hope is that we can learn from our mistakes and move on. I for one think it's time that we put aside our differences and join together, which is what Elder Uchtdorf and Elder Ballard were saying. What an awesome opportunity to start over.

• Attended on Tuesday
    Jan. 22, 2009 8:14 a.m.

I agree with "Attended Also." I was at the inauguration. The feeling there was amazing. A feeling that cannot be replicated by pictures or news articles on this event. If you were there, you get it. I was happy to read this article because the Elders were right on with their comments. There was a peaceful atmosphere and people were showing genuine kindness towards one another. There was a feeling of unity among all to move forward. It was simply incredible!

• Bette
    Jan. 22, 2009 8:12 a.m.

I voted for President Obama because I knew that he was a good man, a man with decent values, a man who could make a difference. I will pray for him and his safety and for his lovely family. I have to laugh when the church says that they have no political affiliation because it is just taken for granted by my ward that you vote Republican and make comments that are inappropriate. I almost walked out of Sunday School one Sunday when the lesson turned political. I use to consider myself an Independent but kept leaning to the Democratic side so I am a registered Democrat now. I have church friends that wouldn't even watch the inauguration because a Democrat won. Pitiful.

• Zell
    Jan. 22, 2009 7:59 a.m.

I know there are alot of good Mormons who are Democrats. I also realize there a lot of Mormons who don't study the facts, history, or current events and vote for incompotent people to govern us.I'm sure there were a lot of Nephites who wanted Kings to rule them too. Were they Democrats? I do hopt things turn around in our country. but by his first policies Mr Obama has shown us the dark side of politics.

• Richard
    Jan. 22, 2009 7:36 a.m.

I am sure that many who claim our new president's values differ from ours as LDS have not taken the effort to read his own words. Having read both of his books, I can find very few differences between my values as a faithful Latter-Day Saint and Christian and his. Those differences that do exist relate primarily to specific and unique LDS doctrines and policies. His story of redemption and self discovery is exceptional. His description of his spiritual awakening is inspirational. The applications of his principles to his family and public life are exemplary. I pray for his success.

• Doug Brockbank
    Jan. 22, 2009 6:59 a.m.

Obama is intelligent, eloquent and visionary. He is also not pro-life, did not support the marriage ammendments, and appears to believe government will solve our economic problems instead of free market principles. He did not support Judge Roberts or Alito. And according to the Washington Post today, "President Obama, an outspoken supporter of a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy, is expected to reverse that prohibition today or in the near future." The strength of the Church lies in its adherence to principles, and not people or personalities whose actions may contradict its teachings. We must continue to oppose those who teachings or practices violate those principle - even if it is the President of the United States. On issues where we may agree, I hope Obama will govern much conservatively than he has voted. But if he doesn't we have the obligation and duty to speak out.

• Mike
    Jan. 22, 2009 6:53 a.m.

I was particularly struck by the comments of REST IT. So, the church is against socialism? That would imply that the chrurch preaaches that we should privatise all public institutions. The truth is that we are in fact a socialized nation. Consider our police, and Fire Departments as well the the military establishment. These are all goverment run and funded. The premable to the consitution makes it clear that the purpose of goverment is to among other things "provide for the common wealfare" This is essential to empowering us to maintain "life liberty and the persuit of happyness".

In many ways the church itself is a socialistic institution, sharing its wealth as it does in many wsys, (consider cost sharing in the building of new chapels)That could be viewed as a redistribution of wealth. Cosider Joseph Smith's United Order, clearly socialistic,some might even say communistic. You seemed to have bought into the theory that socialism is inherently evil. Well, when you get to heaven maybe you will have to buy your own mansion if you can figure a way to take your money with you.

• Choice
    Jan. 22, 2009 6:49 a.m.

We had a choice between the party of, lies lead to war, eavesdropping on the innocent, corporate welfare and the candidate who cheated on his wife to marry to beer heiress trophy wife vs. a family man who believes we need to heal our rifts, find a way to live in peace with security, care for the poor and needy while rescuing us from greed through service to each other.

I thought the choice was pretty clear, obviously others did not. What we need now is to come together and quit looking for the mote in our brother's eye while ignoring the beam in our own.

Our nation is divided, our economy in shambles and our military stretched beyond its capacity. I hope we spend our energy fixing this mess, not tearing down each other.

• Carl R.
    Jan. 22, 2009 6:40 a.m.

J. Reuben Clark, an eminent statesman and Church leader wisely pointed out where our allegiance should lie (not to the man, but to the Constitution):

"Today, our duty transcends party allegiance; our duty today is allegiance to the Constitution as it was given to us by the Lord. Every federal officer takes an oath to support that Constitution so given. The difference between us and some of those to the South of us is this: down there, their fealty runs to individuals; here, our fealty and our allegiance run to the Constitution and to the principles which it embodies, and not to individuals.

"God give us wisdom and enable us in these times of trouble and strife clearly to see our way, that we may be instrumental in sustaining the Constitution, in upholding our free institutions, our civil rights, our freedom of speech, of press, of religion, and of conscience. If we shall stand together we shall save the Constitution, just as has been foreseen, and if we do not stand together, we cannot perform this great task."
    (General Conference Report October 1942, 2nd Session)

• mustberight
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:47 a.m.

Obama is now the President of the United States. Nothing can change that. It is time to move on and do our part in saving this nation from its current problems. Prayer is really the "only bullet" we have in our power to save this nation. People say they will not pray for him. It is not prayer for him as an individual. It is prayer for our country, our families and, yes, even our Church. Nay sayers, give it up. You will be happier and feel more secure.

• Disgraceful Boos at Inagural
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:38 a.m.

I was at inagural too. I'm an ex-pat Utahn working in D.C. And LDS too. I was totally put-off by the boos that erupted all around us when Obama thanked the Bushes for being gracious to them in the transition. What classlessness! THat wasn't Obama's fault.. but a lot of his supporters are haters... they have this psychosis of hate against Bush. And even thought I didn't vote for Obama and don't support his march towards Socialism and wealth redistribution, and cringe when I see this morning that he's going to issue an Executive Order lifting the prohibition on federal funds going to groups counselling abortion...as well as halting off-shore oil exploration in the wake of $4 a gallon gasoline last summer....I still hope and pray that Obama succeeds and that he doesn't experience the hate that the Bushes received and didn't deserve!

• New voice
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:34 a.m.

Libertarian Party

• Let's De-confuse This
    Jan. 22, 2009 5:19 a.m.

There is so much confusion on this comment board. Here's the thing: Of course we pray for our governmental leaders. Of course we uphold civil authority. But for Elder Ballard to say that we should pray for Obama to succeed in achieving his objectives, does not mean that Elder Ballard necessarily agrees with the means that Obama may choose to reach those objectives. What are the objectives of Obama: to restore the economy, to achieve world peace, to preserve liberty and fariness. Of course we want those objectives met. Those are the objectives of both conservative and liberal (well some liberals - many liberals want to yoke the nation in communist style bondage - but that's another topic). It appears to me that Obama has well meaning objectives - even though his philosophy is all wrong as to the means for achieving those objectives. Example: Obama wants to improve the economy and he thinks trillion dollar stimulus deficit spending. I disagree and contend that philosophy will only wreck the nation. But is Obama's objective good and right? Yes. Only his means are wrong. Elder Ballard wants us to pray to reach the objective, not necessarily adopt the means. Savvy people?

• Jason
    Jan. 22, 2009 3:51 a.m.

John in DC

You are the shining example of why I despise the Republican party and why I left it! You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

Even though I am not LDS I agree with the two gentlemen representing the church. It's time to be unified as a nation. Not divisive. For government to succeed we need to do our part. We need to meet government half way. To spend the next 4 years in criticizing our current president in everything he does and sitting around paranoid is a waste of time! I realize now that even though I feel Bush was a horrible president, maybe just maybe if we as a citizenry had taken more responsibility for our nation and not just sit idly by and complain, things could have been different. Who re-elected Bush? I challenge everyone on here (particularly the naysayers) including myself to get behind Obama and support him. If he slips and falls, so be it. Speak up, not just complain, use our representatives and our power as citizens to change that. 4 years from now we can elect someone else if necessary!

• Dan
    Jan. 22, 2009 3:46 a.m.

Ref Lynn 1157 PM

HERE HERE! I have spent most of my life OUTSIDE of Utah, and a good deal out of the United States (career in the US Army). I'm also a life long member of the Mormon Church. MOST of the members of the Church are not Americans - and MOST of the countries our members live in would make the United States look like the conservative bastion of the world. I currently live in England - and almost all of our members here would have voted for Obama/side with liberal leaning politics. That same thing could be said for good, temple recommend bearing members throughout Europe and a good part of Asia. I laugh when I read the 'negative' comments here that assume everything the church does is aimed at Utah or American politics. You really need to come out from underneath the bubble and breath some fresh air - both "Utah Mormons" and the Utah Mormon haters. The Church goes so far beyond the borders of your narrow minds.

I'm a McCain conservative (not Republican) who is praying for President Obama to lead our country in wisdom and light. God bless him, please.

• I'm also very active LDS
    Jan. 22, 2009 3:40 a.m.

and me, my wife and children all voted for Obama. We pray for his success in guiding this great nation through very difficult times. We are very hopeful for this President and that he can lead this nation.

• from Australia
    Jan. 22, 2009 2:18 a.m.

We're just laughing at the whole inaugeration/ coronation.
    Was that serious?
    Albert Speer would be laughing.
    Same jam, different flies. There is no difference to both parties, people should not think otherwise.
    The packet looks good, lets now see whats in the box. I wont judge him until then.
    Still, he can't be worse than the other joker you had.
    (PS. When does he get his crown and sceptre?)

• major eyeroll
    Jan. 22, 2009 1:53 a.m.

I believe that Dieter Uchtdorf is a great addition to the leadership of the LDS Church. He brings a refreshing open-mindedness when he speaks.

• Jeannie
    Jan. 22, 2009 1:17 a.m.

Lynn is right. Not all good Mormons are Republican. I have voted Republican for President many times. I voted Democratic, however, in the last four elections. I think Obama is an intelligent, inspirational man, who really cares about people. If he can pull us out of the economic mess we are in right now, I bet even the Mormons as a whole will love him. All Americans should at least give him a chance.

• Lynn
    Jan. 21, 2009 11:57 p.m.

The more I read Deseret News, the more I'm glad I'm not in Utah! I'm a devoted Latter-day Saint who lives in the Southern Baptist Bible Belt. I voted for President Obama, and I'm glad I did. I was sick of the ranting and raving and hatefulness of the Right Wing Republican Party, so I dropped out. I voted twice for President Bush, and I think he did the best he could during an extremely difficult time. Our new President is also coming into office at a time that is extremely difficult, perhaps, in some ways, even more difficult.

Instead of all the ugliness I've seen here, including a few posts against the Church leadership, we should all be praying for our new President, and for our nation. Our Church is all about brotherhood and unity. I think our new President might be a bridge to make that become more of a reality in our nation, too. Let's give him a chance.

• Bill
    Jan. 21, 2009 10:52 p.m.

I did not vote for President Obama, however, there is a difference in praying for him to succeed and praying for him not too. I would love to see him succeed in Uniting this country and the world. I would love to see him get some of his programs through without socializing the government. I would love to see him receive inspiration and take heed of it. Sometimes that is putting personal choice to the side and doing what is actually right.

I'm LDS and I don't feel our leaders are in any way endorsing the President. However, they are hoping just like most Americans are that he is able to acoomplish things without damaging the Church's stand on certain issues. We as a people need to be more loving and charitable than any other people on this earth or in America. We have the full truth of the Gospel at our disposal. Talking about praying against him is the same as failure to love our enemies. We really need to read and head the words of Elder Hales at the last General Conference. This goes for all of us.

• To misleading title
    Jan. 21, 2009 10:50 p.m.

Maybe you missed it, but the writer of the story was a Church News writer. I don't think he got it wrong. I think the Church probably proof reads those articles so that there are no mistakes on what is conveyed to the members.

• misleading title
    Jan. 21, 2009 10:00 p.m.

The editor put spin on this story with the title. There is nothing in the article that says that they (Elders Uchdorf and Ballard) felt strong emotion themselves, they simply noted that they could sense it was a time of strong emotion for many people. I don't see anything that says they were personally emotional about the occasion.

• Sorry
    Jan. 21, 2009 9:57 p.m.

I am sorry for those who cannot take the leaders of the church at their word and know that the church does want a more peaceful, charitable, kind nation. Obama may not be to our liking and but he needs this country to help him get out of the mess it is in now. He is one man and he needs help and we need to be noble enough to pray for him and the others that work with him to be touched by the Spirit to lead this beloved country into a more peaceful and solidified nation. I love this country and will pray for Pres.Obama as the Two Church leaders asked us to. I think we would all be happier in our hearts if we would try this way of helping our country. We need unity not division. Thank you Pres. Uchtdorf and Elder Ballard. I will follow your advice.

• Maggie
    Jan. 21, 2009 9:50 p.m.

(Mot the 'maggie' that posted earlier)
    I feel certain that President Uchtdorf and Elder Ballard expressed nothing but genuine sentiment regarding their experience at the inauguration. President Obama has the ability to tap into peoples better impulses (not referring to the church officials attending here - I'm certain they're impulses are firing in the right direction as it is). Why in the world is that threatening to some? Intelligence and growth cannot exist when thoughts are entrenched and immovable.

• Attended also
    Jan. 21, 2009 8:52 p.m.

The spirit of contention is of the devil, for those of you wet blankets arguing points that have nothing to do with the article. Along with Elder Ballard and President Uchtdorf, I had the privilege of attending the inauguration and relay the same feeling in the air. It was one of reverence, peace, unity, and tranquility. I've never been in such a serene yet exciting atmosphere at the same time. I heard there were over 2 million people there, yet not a single arrest. Everyone was very civil, while I witnessed others going out of their way to help complete strangers in various instances. The spirit was beautiful and genuinely showed the best of what humanity has to offer.

Jan. 21, 2009 8:05 p.m.

"You "Mormon" Obamites need to look up the Illinois
    State Born Alive Protection Act."

I looked this up. Obama voted against this law. A smart people would next ask why? The reason was under the law passed in Illinois in 1972 doctors were already required to save a live born baby?

If you recall what you should have retained from school, doctors take the Hippocratic Oath. This oath has the same requirement.

Being a smart leader, Obama voted against a law that made no real improvement on existing laws and would cost the taxpayers millions to litigate in courts.

• Come together
    Jan. 21, 2009 7:52 p.m.

I did not vote for Obama but I am sure praying for him to succeed. Haters on both ends of the political spectrum are what's wrong with America. I couldn't watch the inaguration on TV but I did lisyen to it on the radio in my car. I kept hearing someone butting in every now and again with smart alec remarks. When it was over I found that it was Rush Limbaughs radio show. He was mocking Obama during the speech. How classless. I'm sick of the far right and the far left.

• Vince
    Jan. 21, 2009 7:41 p.m.

Policies and making too much sometimes about the little stuff ---

Truth be told --- we (I) survived the Clinton years and the sky didn't fall. While every President, Democrat or Republican sets out with a lot of ambition, there is one major obstacle standing in the way of all his promises --- Congress.

So even for those who disagree with Pres. Obama, most likely he will not turn the entire country into a liberal state.

The point is --- were we heading the right direction had McCain been elected? --- more of the same economic policies --- even as he tried to distance himself. More recession? Methinks not.

Even with 1 day in office and during the transition period, here we have a leader that is finally willing to be presidential and do something about the economy.

• ???
    Jan. 21, 2009 7:24 p.m.

Dan Coombs,

Hitler? Really??

• Wayne
    Jan. 21, 2009 7:22 p.m.

I'm a different Wayne. I think that newspapers should quit allowing opinions. The stupidity and malice expressed herein is beyond comprehension and ought not to be displayed openly.

• Seriously?
    Jan. 21, 2009 7:10 p.m.

Adolph Hitler is in the house? Well thank goodness we can count on our new president to show HItler the front door.

Jan. 21, 2009 7:09 p.m.

Just a reminder to please not feed the trolls. All forums are better when we ignore remarks that are clearly written only to infuriate others.

Jan. 21, 2009 6:46 p.m.

Thanks Des/News for another interesting article.

• JohnDC in CA
    Jan. 21, 2009 6:25 p.m.

So, you pray for President Obama's success, huh? You want his programs to succeed? You want bigger government, do you? I'm not praying that he succeeds. I'm praying that the damage to our rights, as outlined in the bill of rights, is minimal and that our liberties are not taken entirely from us. That's what I pray for. I certainly DON'T want him to succeed. Wake up, people!!

• To Read Article
    Jan. 21, 2009 6:16 p.m.

Come together with this new President...I can't believe you would possess the audacity to use the LDS Church as a scapegoat for trying to be gracious and respectful!

• Read The Article Closely
    Jan. 21, 2009 5:45 p.m.

Did anyone notice that the Apostles mentioned in the article said they felt "deep emotion" all around them but not necessarily the "direction" of the emotion? They said they believed that much of the nation would unite behind this leader but what will the outcome of that unity be?

Good? Bad?

They also said that it was good to see many people united in their hope that Obama does well and that we need to pray for our new President. No argument there.

However, if anyone is saying that because of this article that the LDS church and/or its leaders is essentially endorsing Obama you'd better read the article again.

• To REST IT - We have no voice
    Jan. 21, 2009 5:41 p.m.

We have no voice anymore.

The Republican party has become corrupted and polluted, and the Democrats just sit around and bicker (not to mention the long-standing pollution and corruption that has been there too!).

The government does not care about taking care of the needs of the people--they only care about doing what's good for them and keeping themselves in power.

I'm sick of the "our voices are heard" rhetoric. That's just political fodder calculated to make us feel better about how undemocratic our government has made us.

So stop trying to fool everyone--you're only making a fool out of yourself.

• abortion
    Jan. 21, 2009 5:35 p.m.

Obama believes the same thing that the LDS Church teaches when it comes to Abortion. It should be legal in cases of rape or incest and if the mother or child are in danger. That IS what the church teaches. That IS what Obama believes.

• To Aggie fan
    Jan. 21, 2009 5:19 p.m.

Liberal- Feed a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Conservative- Teach a man to fish and he will be able to provide for himself everyday.

• Applause for LDS Leaders
    Jan. 21, 2009 5:15 p.m.

I applaud LDS leaders for wanting Pres. Obama to succeed and believe we should follow what they have asked us to do...

But it seems their support will largely be in word, not in deed, and all of us already know what Pres. Obama wants to do, and a lot of Obama's views and positions go against what the LDS Church teaches and professes that its members ought to promote in the community and exemplify in their lives.

I do not believe you can fully support Obama without adopting his positions and philosophies...those who think you can need to wake up to what Obama REALLY wants to accomplish--the world is not going to be in love with Obama forever.

Jan. 21, 2009 5:13 p.m.

"We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."
    This means we are subject to President Obama. It does not mean we have to agree with everything he does. In fact the Church has openly come against many of things Obama stands for. (Abortion, gay marriage, Socialism, etc.) Although these are some of the major moral issues of our day, I will support him on the issues he has right and let my voice be heard on those things he is wrong.

• Troy
    Jan. 21, 2009 5:03 p.m.

As a Latter-day Saint, I have studied Obama's policies to date on abortion, and I agree with them 100%.

Jan. 21, 2009 5:02 p.m.

Having read the article I would ask where the commments specific to this article are? There seem to be a lot of comments being made that are primarily directed at pushing political opinions from folks who are both republican and democrat. It seems to me that the more interested we are in pushing political ideas in other folks faces, the further away we are getting to the message that President Uchtdorf and Elder Ballard were trying to get across. They never discussed political parties, or didn't anyone notice? To Maggie, there has been a lot of talk of uniting parties from the democrats. Tell me, where in your comments would anyone get the idea that you were even remotely interested in bridging the political party gap? It's not about proving how right we are, but rather about showing the humility it takes to admit when we are wrong, forgiving others for making honest mistakes, and moving forward for the good of everyone. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were diometrically opposed politically, yet they were humble and gracious enough to work together to draft the Declaration of Independence. Getting over our pride is our biggest challenge.

Jan. 21, 2009 4:57 p.m.

To the L.D.S.first presidency;Four (4)years from now i would like to see your true opinion of obama printed in the D.N.I will be suprised if it is the same as it is now.

Jan. 21, 2009 4:55 p.m.

Obama is the great man to ever live in America. He has our full support. He is our hero! it's a great day in America.

• Whoa now...take it easy
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:54 p.m.

Gee you can clearly see both ends of the spectrum here. We live in a democracy and the people have spoken. It's the same thing that happened with Prop 8. Let's pray for our new president as he will be our leader whether we voted for him or not.

• voice of wisdom & perspective
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:51 p.m.

I am now old enough to say that I have witnessed many transitions of power in the US presidency, and when it is from one party to the other, there is always a fear from about half the nation that things will be catastrophic. Well, there is some good in what each president has done, and there is always plenty to criticize, too. I have learned by this point in my life that if we continue to pray for our president's wisdom, and even revelation, and we remain vigilant about issues that counter our faith and moral standards, things will turn out OK, and before you know it, it will be time to elect someone else, or re-elect the current president, if the majority of American voters have concluded that his good points still outweigh his bad performance. Keep your blood pressure under control, folks. I did not vote for Obama, but I certainly know the importance of prayerfully supporting him as our elected leader, similarly to what we do in our church meetings when we sustain a new ecclesiastical leader, with all his/her human frailties. Give people a chance, for heaven's sake. Time heals everything!

• FYI Wayne and Obama Watcher
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:50 p.m.

God is not a Democrat. God is not a Republican. There is plenty of good to be found by LDS church members in both parties.

Jan. 21, 2009 4:40 p.m.

After reading these silly posts day after day it is clear that religion muddles human thinking. Reality and logic are waiting for you..

• AggieFan
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:38 p.m.

The truth be told, If the LDS Church were a voting individual they would be a Democrat. Look at the relief aid, the welfare system, Education and the care of the elderly and less fortunate. Throw out individual/non-political and personal choices like abortion and they are much closer to being Democrat that the corporate relief GOP.

• Obama watcher
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:26 p.m.

I just read (Pres.) Obama's official position on abortion. Now compare his position with I Cor.6:19-20. Add to that the following quote "abortion is the most damnable heresy in the world today". (Spencer W. Kimball)

• Supermanrw
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:26 p.m.

Brothers and Sisters,
    Parties and politics aside. I think now (as always) is a great time to support our new administration in the things we can support. Disagree and debate the issues we need to debate. The fact you disagree does not mean you can't support. Although he was not my choice for President does not diminish my willingness to pray for guidance for him and his administration. People deemed the most wicked of men have been changed in the blink of an eye. I'm hoping for some change in some of his philosophies in hopes of a stronger America. My greater concern is this country's willingness to change where we have failed. Now is a testing time for them as well as our new President.

Jan. 21, 2009 4:26 p.m.

Now you've got me all confused. Were the Church Leaders "inspired" by the inauguration, or did they feel "deep emotion" at the inauguration?

Why are DN writers trying to find multiple ways to say the same thing: LDS Leaders attended the inauguration.

So what? Quit re-mixing it to create more headlines! It is really starting to annoy me!

• Joe W.
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:10 p.m.

I believe the LDS Church leaders, as they should, support the President of the United States as best they possibly can. Pres. Uchtdorf is a man of great integrity and expressed his spiritual emotions in a great way ~ and it was impressive to note how President Obama returned that support.

Clearly there are differences ~ but the beauty of the American system is to be able to live together in love and harmony as we work on those differences.

• Brian
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:09 p.m.

There are 2 Church doctrines here:
    1. Standing up for what's right
    2. Being subject to presidents

They are paradoxical, meaning they appear to conflict, but nevertheless do not conflict.

• I will do as the lord commands
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:02 p.m.

I have written things against our President.

If church leaders feel we should follow this man,
    and pray for him.

I have now repented and will follow his leadership.

• goes against what???
    Jan. 21, 2009 3:56 p.m.

Obama does not go against the teachings of the LDS Church. From what I understand about the church, it teaches its people to love one another, no matter race, color, religion or sexual preference. The LDS Church that I know teaches service to others. See obama wants everyone to give service to others when Bush taught us to shop in our time of need. Obama is not divisive like Bush was. He knows what it is like to grow up without. Unlike Bush, who went to private schools.

• WOW
    Jan. 21, 2009 3:49 p.m.

You have got to be kidding me Mr. Rout. By now means has Obama said anything that goes against Church policy. And for you to say that the Democrats are the ones who run on emotion then I really think you should take a look at your own party.

• Tim
    Jan. 21, 2009 3:42 p.m.

LDS Welcome | 2:50 p.m. Jan. 21, 2009

You hit the nail on the head.

• Willing to give Obama a chance
    Jan. 21, 2009 3:32 p.m.

Obama is against everything the church supports? Apparantly your "everything" includes just a couple of high-profile topics and not the dozens or hundreds of areas where his principles coincide quite well with the church. While a lot of his support may come from an emotional draw, I encourage you to make the most out of these similarities because he'll be your president for at least the next 4 years.

• Pale Bear
    Jan. 21, 2009 3:30 p.m.

In case you aren't up on the recent Prop 8 news, the Church doesn't do things just to be politically correct.

Even though President Obama's ideals are different in many ways from the Church's doctrine doesn't mean the leaders shouldn't call for support. Members of the Church believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates. Just because there isn't always agreement between the two doesn't call for a lack of civility on the part of either.

I believe the Church will continue to take stands on issues that affect the moral integrity of the people whether it is politically correct or not. And I believe that the leaders will sincerely pray for Obama to be a good president and do a good job in leading the nation. Those are not mutually exclusive commitments.

• LDS Welcome
    Jan. 21, 2009 2:50 p.m.

The ironic truth is, the LDS Church may be more welcome among liberal democrats than conservative Republicans and Evangelicals. Go chew on that for a while...

• Thankful
    Jan. 21, 2009 2:47 p.m.

While many of us in Utah did not vote for our new president, I am sure I am not the only one who felt proud as our nation continued to carry the torch and show the world that peaceful transfers of power are something to celebrate,to aspire to, to demand. Democracy in its many forms will always be the hope of all those oppressed in so many foreign lands. Like many of you, I will pray for our new president, and his administration. This is a great nation, and will continue to be so, as long as we revere and worship the Lord of its creation. I hope and pray the new president holds fast to all the ideals of our founding fathers and continues to show the world why our land is so great! Land of the free, and home of the brave! God Bless You, President Obama, in your righteous desires for this nation!

• Cougar Blue
    Jan. 21, 2009 2:45 p.m.

Thanks for those observations, Brethren. I truly feel that the Lord is giving us a new opportunity to heal the many schisms that exist in our country. I pray for Barak continually.

• Carol
    Jan. 21, 2009 2:16 p.m.

I, too, agree that we should unite behind our new president and pray for him. He has enormous problems to solve--some caused by the greed and deceit of some government and business leaders and some caused by the greed and deceit of some Americans. But most Americans are good, hard-working and caring people. If we work together, hopefully we can climb out of this horrible economic crisis, a terrible war, and a man-made catastophe of people losing homes, jobs, and health care. May God bless bless our country and its new leader, that we can become a beacon of light and liberty to the world and not a symbol of abuse and corruption.

• ann
    Jan. 21, 2009 2:07 p.m.

The graciousness of these leaders toward our new president is striking. God bless them and Obama both.