Utah

Leavitt departs HHS

Comments

• Anonymous
    Jan. 24, 2009 10:38 a.m.

I have met both Mike Leavitt and his former JCS, Rich Mckeown. I will say that it is obvious that there was a lot of political persuasion being pushed in the circles they frequented. And it was obvious that there was definitely not a seperation of their personal agenda's, LDS Church requirements, and Republican Party bias. The jet abuse was more self serving than satisfying the needs of government( though some might say those contacts will be beneficial for them in the future)...

These guys are best friends and though McKeown seems to be a nice man, he cannot seperate himself from Leavitt; the attachment is a bit odd. Maybe it is more like being brothers...

However, I do wish them both the best. I guess we will have to wait see what they bring next, because contrary to popular thought, I know that they are not finished. If it is the private sector that is better suited for them, then let it be, but don't write them out, they have a lot to contribute that could really help...Moreover, I believe they still have a genuine desire to serve.

Good Luck Leavitt and McKeown

• Boot
    Jan. 21, 2009 10:53 p.m.

Last I checked America's seniors now have a prescription drug benefit, FDA now has offices in China to protect our food supply, more Americans have electronic health records, and our country is better prepared than ever to survive a flu pandemic. Better still, I-15 was reconstructed, Utah hosted marvelous Olympic Games, and our high tech economy continues to flourish.

Mr. Leavitt, you've earned some down time. Slow down and enjoy yourself and know of our appreciation for you.

• Robin
    Jan. 21, 2009 11:31 a.m.

I guarntee the birds of he world are as happy to see him go as the public is to see Bush go. He will be remembered for selling american flu shots to balance the budget and killing the poor's food supply.

• Kate
    Jan. 21, 2009 10:34 a.m.

I haven't always agreed with Mike Leavitt's decisions, but he's a fine and conscientious man and he deserves our appreciation for his service, and not all these mean-spirited remarks.

• Robin
    Jan. 21, 2009 8:49 a.m.

Congrats on a job well done, Mr. Secretary. Yours was often a thankless job but I know it was done well and without fanfare, contrary to what some of these comments may imply. Enjoy some time off and I, for one, wish you and your family the best in whatever new endeavors you undertake.

• Wanda
    Jan. 21, 2009 8:20 a.m.

I was overjoyed when Mike "Howdy Doodie" Leavitt received his "kick upstairs" to Washington, although there it gave him a chance to do damage nationally instead of locally. In any event after Bangerter and Leavitt, I have found Huntsman to be a breath of fresh air in Utah. He is upbeat, professional, and my image/role model of what a governor should be. I hope Leavitt finds a nice quiet spot in Zion, out of the public sector.

• Dave
    Jan. 20, 2009 6:08 p.m.

I don't think I have ever read so many comments that were so far removed from reality. Governors do not pass laws, the legislature does. Dixie is not Mike's uncle, he is his father. I don't understand what ect. means, does anyone else?
    Now that all you wierdos have had your say, go back beneath your rock and be quiet.

• BG
    Jan. 20, 2009 6:06 p.m.

These dedicated Civil Servants at HHS, can now resume their careers, and perform their duties - as the Law requires! A celebration is in order, for these faceless Americans, the abused/oppressed HHS employees, who are now free, from the oppression, of political corruption! Mike Leavitt was another, in a long line of Bush/Cheney appointees, who was selected, based on his ability/willingness, to ignore the Law/Agency Mandate, and cater to the very private sector cronies, he was suppose to regulate! Kind of like, the wolf in the chicken coop comparison! Bush/Cheney conspired to compromise the entire Government, by restricting the ability of Civil Servants, to perform their duties, under the Law, by selecting Cabinet Level Secretaries, receptive to obstructionism! It's called deregulation, without a Vote! Revealing - isn't it! We can now see why everything collapsed - a Government, on a crash course, with itself! This is just another, in a long line of Bush/Cheney indiscretions, perpetrated upon the American People - a sordid legacy of deceit and corruption! Mike Leavitt was one, of these obstructionists! Sorry Mike, no respect here!

• Anonymous3
    Jan. 20, 2009 4:36 p.m.

....and...I've heard he is the single reason that Bernie Madoff got away with so much in his Ponzi scheme...and...and...I heard because of him Geneva Steel is out of business...and...and....I've heard he has a deal to get 1% of all the Mormon Church's tithing over the next 10 years. Also, have you ever seen Mike Leavitt and Jason Chaffetz together at the same time? Uh huh...I didn't think so. I submit to you that they are one in the same...and it's Leavitt's ploy to get back into politics. Makes you think, doesn't it? Don't be so gullible Utah. Just say no to this obvious imposter!!

• wow
    Jan. 20, 2009 4:23 p.m.

Wow, what's with all the negativity? What's wrong with all you fuddy duddies? Must be liberals and demos. They can never accept another person's view but their own.

• Oh no!
    Jan. 20, 2009 3:35 p.m.

Does this mean we have to take him back here????

• go private
    Jan. 20, 2009 2:56 p.m.

As one who thinks our greatest governer here in Utah was our only lady governor and Huntsman is pretty good too, I would urge Leavitt that, as it is, for 30 years now he has been anti-government and pro-market, to maybe consider staying in the private sector. Of course he knows the private sector doesn't get noticed in the history books and so that is why Mr. Leavitt made the jump to the public sector----- even though he is truly, in his heart of hearts--- anti-government and pro-business.

• Hey Mike
    Jan. 20, 2009 2:49 p.m.

Your Uncle Dixie has an opening for another insurance agent!

• Wrex
    Jan. 20, 2009 2:35 p.m.

Now that he's defined birth control as abortion, he can go back home to Utah to reintroduce whirling disease to the local fisheries.

• fish???
    Jan. 20, 2009 1:16 p.m.

Thanks for all the hard work to make your family money when you where a governor.
    Thanks for all the hard work in making retirement that much harder for this countries retires - and all the money you made for the pharmaceutical companies.
    You did serve at the interest of Bush and his cronies, this will make some people proud.

• Another Repub Gone! YES
    Jan. 20, 2009 12:19 p.m.

Go retire to the quiet country of Loa ect. where you will be out of the news and decision making please. Your time like Bush and Cheney has come and gone, thank goodness.

• Anonymous2
    Jan. 20, 2009 11:41 a.m.

Chris and Anonymous: Amen to you
    for every one else, Research what he did and passed as bills and laws while in office as Gov. of Utah.
    He is one of the reasons if not the biggest reason that our auto and home/renter insurance here stinks! His family is the Leavitt Insurance group. Because of bills he passed "quietly", they're on the books you just have to look hard, Premiums are higher than several states and he is one of the reasons that PIP funds were allowed to drop to a $3000 max pay out. So don't get hurt in an accident if your at fault, you'll end up paying a lot out of pocket, this also applies in some no fault accidents. I found this one out the hard way by being rear ended on I-15. UHP ruled it no fault and I had the choice of Suing or paying out of pocket after my PIP fund was exhausted. I also ended up later having to repay the PIP fund or accept higher premiums

• CHance
    Jan. 20, 2009 11:12 a.m.

From what I heard and read, Leavitt did wonderful work for HHS. He voiced a strong message. Welcome back to Utah!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2009 11:11 a.m.

Good bye, Leavitt.

Please go find something to do, preferably NOT in the public sector.

• Oh Please!
    Jan. 20, 2009 11:08 a.m.

what's next?

• Rob
    Jan. 20, 2009 10:56 a.m.

Thank you for your wonderful service! We appreicate you.

• RE:Chris
    Jan. 20, 2009 10:48 a.m.

Oh please. What did he do that you dislike so much?

• Chris