Sports

Utah Utes football: Roderick felt it was time for change

Comments

• Ute Fan
    Jan. 26, 2009 7:15 p.m.

Wow! I am really excited to hear that we are getting Coach Roderick back. I know it must not be easy to publicly change your mind a couple of times. We are just glad he's back.

• RE: the Truth
    Jan. 26, 2009 7:50 a.m.

It would be refreshing if someone said "yes it was about the money".

I am no Zoob grad but $92K vs. $200K... that's like "pumping gas" for a living. Hmmm... I love SLC but I can get to love Seattle.

Good luck to him, I am just happy Ludwig is gone.

Go UTES!

• Ivan C.
    Jan. 25, 2009 3:20 p.m.

I know Coach A. personally, and he is one of the best coaches I know, and I know a few. He recruited my son and now my son is a better person because of him. It is going to be sad seeing him leave but I wish him the best for him and his family. Take care coach. Now finally Washington can win some games, they needed him...Go Utes..

• Beauty
    Jan. 21, 2009 4:14 p.m.

The beauty of this life is agency and our ability and freedom to make choices for ourselves. I am a Ute fan but "the Truth" if you are a Ute fan you are hypocritical and are failing to remember a coach that was commited to another team that is south of his and then came to his right senses recieved a he** of a better offer pay wise took that backed out and took the better paying job then took his team to 13-0. These are grown men and can make choices for themselves even if they are money driven

• the Truth
    Jan. 20, 2009 7:28 p.m.

"It's hard to explain everything that went into the ($200,000/yr) decision," said Roderick. "A lot of it was just a ($200,000) feeling that this is the right time to make a ($200,000) change and start something new. I did go back ($92,000/yr.) -and-forth ($200,000/yr.)."

• Re: re:Grapevine
    Jan. 20, 2009 6:09 p.m.

Wow, another jealous comment from a fan of the TDS. Does it make you feel you are sticking it to the Utes fans to say we are #4???

Jealous of 13-0, jealous that we have the coach of the year and that our coaches are being recruited by other programs? Awwww, doesn't anyone want Bronco and his staff? I hope they stay in Provo for a very long time!!

• to "youre being polite"
    Jan. 20, 2009 4:11 p.m.

Maybe Roderick is the one who is being polite. Maybe you could consider that it would be nice to hear how HE really feels. In my experience, ARod is one of the few football coaches (and I've worked with many of them) who is not mostly driven by ego. He is consistently willing to give credit to others and make decisions based on protecting his own pride- not just in the press or public eye. I like Whit, but that has not so much been my experience with him.

• GridironSam
    Jan. 20, 2009 2:08 p.m.

Yes, he deserves respect. A-Rod is a good young coach, and he will be missed. Like any job or career that requires relocation, there are both personal and well as professional factors that are taken into consideration in deciding what direction to go. To me, what it sounds like A-Rod is saying that the personal and family situation factored in to this decision. Hopefully everyone can respect his right to keeping this part of it private, he doesn't owe anyone but Kyle W. an answer on that. From what I understand Kyle accepts A-Rods reasons and the bridges are still intact. Good luck to him at Washington, both professionally and personally.

• re:Grapevine
    Jan. 20, 2009 1:22 p.m.

Wow, Utah fans bagging on their coaches that led them to #4 in the Nation.

Doesn't he deserve some respect?

• Grapevine....
    Jan. 20, 2009 11:42 a.m.

He had a friend talk to his dad and his dad actually talked to the Coaches about the possibility of joinging the coaching staff. So I guess like the T.D.S. they don't actively go after Young men serving missions. They just leave that up to the family and Mission Presidents. Right.... Good Luck Coach thanks for your hard work.

• Go Braves
    Jan. 20, 2009 11:22 a.m.

A-Rod,

Thanks for all the great years at Bountiful, Ricks, BYU, and Utah. The Utes are better because you were there. Good luck in Washington. Go Utes!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 20, 2009 10:38 a.m.

re:"Roger the Shrubber | 9:11 a.m. Jan. 20, 2009
    It sounds like he learned about keeping his word and commitment from Coach Bronco."

When, where?

• Roger the Shrubber
    Jan. 20, 2009 9:11 a.m.

• you're being polite
    Jan. 20, 2009 6:46 a.m.

coach whit is being polite. i would like to hear how he really feels.