Sports

Utah Utes football reigns on parade

Comments

• Thats Beause TDS Progam Stinks
    Jan. 19, 2009 3:08 a.m.

RE: Record | 12:09 p.m. Jan. 17, 2009
    Been there, done that. Ohhh that's right, I think there is even a trophy to prove it. Who care's if it is the past. I can guarantee that in 25 years, I won't care about this season either.

10-3 is pretty forgettable winning weak teams and getting thrashed by ranked ones, I don't blame you.

As a Ute beating 4 ranked teams and being the only undefeated team at 13-0 is priceless and should be celebrated, but the parade is overdoing it. When was the last time Zoobs beat 4 ranked teams in a season and made history in breaking BCS monopoly? Only reason we are not Champs is because of BCS bias.

If Utes were over hyped like Clemson, Georgia, BYU by being ranked in the preseason we would have had a shot at the title.

Well I only needed 4 years to forget about the 2004 undefeated season, so if the state of the program is any indication then I won't need 25 years to celebrate another Quest for Perfection season.

• ute fan
    Jan. 18, 2009 8:51 p.m.

scariest part is the utes can do the same thing next year

• BYU fans
    Jan. 18, 2009 6:43 p.m.

will quit being full of envy when they win something big in this century

• RE; It was Football at 7:01pm
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:57 p.m.

Wow, I didn't see any news about the UTAH/CSU game. They still brought out the trophy even after the parade? Darn, too bad I missed that one, I didn't know that the UTES won. Incredible, I guess were going to see it at the home game of every sport at the U so that we make sure that everyone gets to see it.......oh yeah, who cares.

• RE: Pretty Sad
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:51 p.m.

Hey, there's a reason no other team in the country was given a parade. There was no other team in the country that went UN-DEFEATED. I think that warrants a celebration, and from the size of the crowd at the parade yesterday, I'm not alone.

• It was FOOTBALL
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:01 p.m.

"loud and proud | 6:05 p.m. Jan. 17, 2009
    Let me say go UTES. thanks for representing the state of utah so well... something byu can never say they did"

---------------------------

Well, I am a Utah fan, and I say they have many times before, same with Utah.

WEAK season, GREAT BOWL GAME!!!...

Kyle was awarded the Sugar Bowl Trophy at the half of the CSU game today (for the fifth time)... He embarassingly tried to pass it off as quick as he could. HE'S SEEN IT BEFORE FOR TWO WEEKS... WHY GIVE IT TO HIM AGAIN?

ONE GAME!!!

Utah didn't cure cancer or Aids to represent Utah. They played a football game that even us Utah fans thought they were going to lose.

The reason so many Ute fans are dragging this out is because they didn't even start watching games until the OSU game.

Can we just put the W in the column, and quit talking about it at work. Will the Des News quit rehashing the same olds story. It's no longer "NEWS".

• Re: WERE #2
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:00 p.m.

I was thrilled when LaVall beat out Barry Switzer in the '84 voting.

But, here's what's really pathetic.

Besides the fact that University of Utah did not hold the parade the article above describes (Salt Lake City did the Utes to attend), your disparaging comments about the Utes being #2 are the ultimate "neener, neener, neerer" commet.

Why? Because the '08 Utes accomplished more on the field than any BYU team ever has -- no losses and wins against 4 teams ranked at the end of the season. Look it up, a BYU football team has never accomplished this.

So, the '84 BYU team struggled some, but wins every game (props to them). Their 3 "big" inter-sectional games came against Baylor, which finished 5-6, Pitt, which finished 5-4, and Michigan, which finished 6-6.

The '05 Utah team dominated every game, and played against a Pitt team that was ranked at the end of the year and finished 8-4.

This year's Utah team struggled some, and beats four teams that finished the season ranked.

Look at what was accomplished on the field.

• Soul
    Jan. 17, 2009 6:32 p.m.

The University of Utah football team makes us proud. 2008-2009 goals were achieved at the excellent level. (Try asking that of your marriage life this past year, employment situation, or the economy at large).

Thanks for the positive uplifting success this past season. Now lets get to work for this year 2009 in all fields of our lives. It always a lot of work.

• loud and proud
    Jan. 17, 2009 6:05 p.m.

• #2=
    Jan. 17, 2009 5:53 p.m.

1st place loser...

• Hey Ute Man | 10:08 a.m.
    Jan. 17, 2009 5:51 p.m.

And the word "zoobie" is very childish, strange word coming from a so called "GROWN UP" so take your place in line...

• Anne
    Jan. 17, 2009 4:16 p.m.

Just for the record- it was the city of Salt Lake that put the parage together to honor the Utes. I think it was a great idea!

And to "football fan"- the Utes stadium was standing room only this year. I think you are holding on to old rhetoric.

• RE: RE DUH
    Jan. 17, 2009 4:13 p.m.

Whose gloating. Just stating a fact. I didn't say we were better then this team, fact is they might have kicked out butts. We were just the best that year with a vote, like Utah wasn't with a vote. Nothing more, nothing less. I can't control the voters, just have to accept it whether I like it or not. LOL. Now that is sour grapes isn't it!

• NewEra
    Jan. 17, 2009 3:10 p.m.

Uh Duh, we got a trophy too, from 1948, and that one WAS earned. But we are in the Modern Era now slick. By the way, doesn't that BYU trophy say AP? Our '48 says NCAA baby.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 17, 2009 3:09 p.m.

Little brother syndrome alive and well ab the U.

You "bitter" Ute fans need to enjoy the season you just had without pulling BYU into it.

Holy cow, talk about a complex . . .

• Pathetic
    Jan. 17, 2009 2:17 p.m.

The bitterness of the Cougar fans is really sad. BTW which shows less class celebrating being the third team from a Non-BCS to win it's BCS game, go undefeated and be the highest rankied non BCS team in 20 years or have a motto of "quest for perfection" and try to sell it as not a results based motto, then when your rival wins and does something nobody expected to post bitter responses?

• Re: Duh
    Jan. 17, 2009 2:00 p.m.

Gloating about a 1984 NC and mocking a #2 finish can easily be interpreted as "our '84 team was better".

• Hey, Football Fan...
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:57 p.m.

While we're keeping things in perspective why does BYU have losing record (okay since you're a coog, that means "loosing") record against Utah for the last 5, 10, and 15 years?

• CP
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:49 p.m.

Ok I never said that I hated the Utes. But, if I remember the Y did go unbeaten as well last season 2007-08. I don't recall a huge parade for them?? I don't recall the AG going to investigate why they weren't given a better Bowl game and why they weren't put at #1. So, that's why I say why the fuss? But, I did cheer for the Utes when they played in the Sugar Bowl. So, get off my back. And don't judge me cause I like the band. Oh and for the record to whoever posted it, I am not Dogie Ok. I'm just tired of all the hoop la.

• Football Fan
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:14 p.m.

Great season, Utes! I have a couple of questions for the diehard fans...

1. It's fine to enjoy your team's terrific season, but didn't Utah lose to BYU last season? and the season before that?

2. Why didn't Utah sell out all its home games last year?

Please keep things in perspective...

• Go Utes!!!
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:13 p.m.

Two perfect seasons in 4 years - that is unbelievable.

Congratulations!!! What an amazing year.

To all the bitter fans of byu...shut your pie holes. Every time you open your mouth it just makes this year even sweeter. I'm sorry that it was your team claiming that their season would only be a success if they went to a BCS game - I guess they didn't succeed. Go polish your '84 trophy because that is as close as you will ever come to being great again.

GO UTES!!!

• WERE #2
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:11 p.m.

Scoreboard - Cougars 1 National Championship, Utes 0. No amount of whining or justification can change that fact. A parade for a #2 AP and #4 BCS rank is pathetic. They certainly get my vote for the most "Wannabe" team. Nothing quite as pathetic as a team that over-celebrates.

• Duh
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:04 p.m.

To all all the UTES, YES, I am jealous that we can't win all our games and that you kicked our butts this year, eats me up every year, but at least I am loyal unlike some others who can't take it. Golly, well BYU didn't go undefeated or win the sugar bowl, lets just go shoot ourselves. Those who jump ship because of whatever, wah wah wah. I have been True Blue for 35 years and will always be even if my kids went to the U of U. I would just support them in their academic efforts. With what BYU has to work with, I will take it. Religion first, education second and sports third. If we ever get an undefeated season again, I will have something to gloat about. If not, I am not going to die. But I love the trash talk, makes for great comedy and we all wouldn't be true fans if we did not defend our schools.

• Nathaniel
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:04 p.m.

Thank you Utes for a great season. Special thanks to Kyle Whittingham, Brian Johnson, Louie Sakoda, Paul Kruger, Greg Newman, Freddie Brown, Brent Casteel, Stevenson Sylvester, Bradon Godfrey, Sean Smith, and Matt Asiata. You made this one memorable season, and thank you for all your hard work.

• Duh
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:55 p.m.

Isn't it funny how UTE fans keep stating that BYU fans are saying their 1984 team is better then the 04 and 08 teams. I haven't seen that comment yet except from Utah fans. BYU fans are just stating the fact that they have a trophy. We don't care how we got it. Do you think anyone who has one cares. All they know is that they have one, they won their games, got the vote and it was done. The BCS screwed the UTES, I will give them that but I guess that Kyle didn't politic enough. Too bad. Granted you deserved it but until the system changes, neither you, BYU, Boise State or anyone else not associated with the BCS will ever get a championship again, neither in a game or in a vote. So yeah, sure feels good to have one, at least I have something to look at, yep I don't mind at all.

• Re: Pretty sad and MN Cougar
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:48 p.m.

Re: Pretty sad: Yeah, Utah has never been there before. In '04 we only won 12 games.

Re: MN Cougar: Let's talk about what you are calling arrogance. What has happened here is BYU fans came onto this blog and trashed the Utes. Ute fans naturally defend their team. Then you say Ute fans are arrogant and low-rent. Take a look in the mirror buddy.

• GridironSam
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:46 p.m.

Memo to CougarFan attempting to disparage the Utah season and/or celebrations. Jealousy and envy are very unbecoming personality flaws. Try to do a little better swallowing those sour grapes.

• Re: Bitter Utes
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:42 p.m.

Just replying to all the comments from the bitter Cewgs. Its ok bro, I'd be jealous too if a was a Cewger fan.

• 1984
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:40 p.m.

The best win BYU's 1984 team had was Pitt, when they were ranked 3rd at the beginning of the year. What is funny is that the mediocre 2004 Pitt team the Utes beat in the Fiesta Bowl was better than the team BYU beat in '84 for their best win of the season.

Somehow BYU fans think their '84 team was better than Utah's '04 or '08 teams. Hahahahahahahahahahaha. What a joke.

• You know what is funny......
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:34 p.m.

When all the BYU fans say "Utah fans go read and comment about your own team. You have inferiority complex - always worried about what we're doing. Why do you care? I don't care about the Utah articles."

Anyone think that is true after reading all the BYU fans' comments on this article? BYU fans - YOU have little brother complex, and you should.

If BYU had accomplished what Utah did this year I would be just as jealous.

• Ute Man
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:19 p.m.

To Anonymous who's leavin' the Utes for USU: Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Let me know how that gos? If you thought the Zoobs had it bad, wait 'til you're an Aggie!

Zoobs keep touting '84, do you know how dumb that makes you look? That was a quarter of a decade ago! What have you done recently? NOTHING!

Speed kills!, you'll see more of that again, on the field this year, from the Utes and Horned Frogs!

• Duh
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:14 p.m.

TO Anonymous at 11:15: Perfectly Stated.

• RE: Record
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:09 p.m.

• Re: ex-cougar
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:06 p.m.

Like we really care????? It means you were never a cougar fan, just a wannabe.

• MN Cougar
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:45 a.m.

13-0 should be your statement Utes. Why spoil it with arrogance? Your fans are just as low-rent on the blog as they are at a game.

• Pretty sad
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:42 a.m.

I have it on good authority that the Utes are the only football program in the country that held a parade for their team. But when you've never been there before you've got to do something to get attention, right?

• re:Pathetic
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:35 a.m.

I don't mock the game, or the Utes. I love both.

It's been over two weeks now, and yes, I do mock the parade.

A parade should have happened in the first few days. This continued grasping for attention from my fellow Utes is pathetic and embarassing.

"Lookie, lookie, I'm still over here. You're not paying attention to me"...

Yep, pathetic.

• ex-ute
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:33 a.m.

same comments as ex-cougar, but with names exchanged. And Ute Man, you conversation is not adult so don't rag on someone else for being immature. Referring to BYU fans as zoobs is just as infantile as BYU fans referring to you as a yoot.

• To Yners
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:28 a.m.

WOW!! Cougs get a life! Collie is leaving, and the cougs will have 4 losses next year!! Give me all the arguments you want cougs but your defense (if you can call it that) is PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your team is too slow to compete with Utah and TCU! I am only stating facts here. Oh and who is Maxi Hall going to throw to next year, his best three recievers are leaving early for the NFL (Smith, Kruegar, Collie)!! BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

• Sugar Bowl
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:25 a.m.

Posted on Ute Basketball thread:

"get over it | 11:11 a.m. Jan. 17, 2009
    get over the lost to sw bap if you know anything about the game you can be beat at any given time."

See, here's the thing I just don't get about Utah Sports fans.

When it is SBU, it's any team any day.

When it's Sugar Bowl it's "We are the greatest of all time".

Ute fans are just neither real nor honest.

• Truly Pathetic!
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:24 a.m.

To all you haters out there, you are pathetic. If you do not like the Ute's or the idea of the parade that is ok just keep it to yourself.
    Any BYU fan that mocks this parade or Utah's 13-0 Sugar Bowl winning season is short sighted. Utah did more for every program in there 2 BCS wins than the rest of the conferance has done collectively.
    Big props to the classy BYU fans out there that see the bigger picture.

• Bitter Utes
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:21 a.m.

A lot of bitter Utes here. You had a great season and all you can do is focus on BYU.

Funny how some things never change.

• Happy
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:17 a.m.

It is sure nice to see people who are appreciative of the hard work and devotion these young men into something they believed in. Its great for these young men to see people recogniize them for a job well done.

• Utah Fan
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:17 a.m.

I'm a Ute fan, also college sports fan.

So, how long to we plan on celebrating, because it's way past time to put the party hats and noise-makers away.

Serious, it's classless to keep this thing going on. It's embarassing at work.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:15 a.m.

Must bother you every time you go to LES and see those banners, doesn't it? Say what you want, but you can't take them away - EVER.

Hey, your Utes had a great season this year, so try to enjoy it without continually having to bash on BYU. Your accomplishments this year have nothing to do with BYU, other than the 48 - 24 beating you put on BYU.

You smack of the "little brother" syndrome that is so prevelant amongst many Ute fans.

• Hey, Hey NewEra
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:12 a.m.

Actually, by the standard that BYU "earned" it's NC, there are two schools in Utah that have "earned" that right.

And the Utes have done it twice in the last 5 years. BYU did it once probably before you were born.

In reality the only way to earn a NC is in a legitimate playoff, not by beating a 6-6 Michigan team.

13-0 is perfection. For BYU it's a quest. For Utah it's a way of life.

• re heynew era
    Jan. 17, 2009 11:10 a.m.

ya but that team beat a 6-5 michigan team barely! They didn't beat squat that year, this team beat alabama and would have been 1 backin 84 to

• Hey NewEra
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:57 a.m.

Hey NewEra

Next time you go to RES let me know how many "National Championship" banners you see.

I have been told that there is only ONE school in the state of Utah who has EARNED that right.

Wonder who that could be???

• NewEra
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:52 a.m.

Oh, and Dogie, I'm also teaching my children that if they get an A on 13 straight tests, and some teachers get together and say that someone who got 12 A's and 1 C is better, to smile and eat some ice cream and know they are the best! It's about the Truth man.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:49 a.m.

I have been a Ute fan all my life but the arrogance of the Utes has driven me away.

From here on out I am BLUE - Utah State Blue.

Go Aggies!

• re: ex-cougar
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:41 a.m.

Welcome to perfection!

• NewEra
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:32 a.m.

Hey Dogie

I'm teaching my kids that the BCS is the Modern Era of College Football, that the Utes are undefeated twice in the Modern Era and have the best bowl record nationally in the Modern Era. I'm also teaching them that, as the Utes pave the way for lesser known schools like the Y, that anything is possible.

As for the parade, 1st place in the MWC after doubling the Y's score 48-24 to win it, is enough to have a parade. I taught them that too.

• ex-cougar
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:20 a.m.

Forgive me for jumping on the Utah train. I have been a Cougar all my life. However after reading all of the comments from very sore losers recently, and tolerating BYU fans for the past 30 years, I am jumping ship. Cougar fans will write bad of me, and make fun of me, but please Ute fans, welcome me

• UTES / BYU Fans
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:20 a.m.

What a great way to celebrate! Utah and first class BYU posters please note:

"Dogie", "CP," "The Game that Keeps on Giving," etc. are posts that came in between 1:30 and 3:30 in the morning right after the article was published. Clearly, they are written by the same person who is starving for attention.

Celebrate the great season and leave the nay-sayers behind. BYU fans offering their congratulations are first class fans who understand the significance of what has been accomplished.

• DRLL
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:20 a.m.

We've been following the happenings of the parade from Ireland. What a fantastic event -- so sorry I couldn't be there, but the team could not be more deserving.

• Record against ranked teams
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:19 a.m.

If BYU thinks they're so good, then they should be able to beat Top 25 teams, correct?

Wait a minute...what's BYU's record against Top 25 teams? Something like 1-21????

Hey Cougs, until you start beating someone good, keep your arrogant and bitter comments to yourself.

Utah beat 4 top 25 teams this year.

Enough said.

• RE: CP
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:15 a.m.

HA HA HA you band homer. That kills me. Yeah NO ONE goes to football games to watch football, they go to listen to the BAND! You guys should start having your own BAND competitions and that way Utah could fill the stadium every time you play! That's ridiculous. Maybe you should play better at the basketball games because attendance is really low this year. Put some effort in, then more people will come. ERRR... maybe its that the basketball team isn't playing as well as it used to. Nah, its probably the band. Please start playing better at basketball games.

• Re: Calicoug
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:11 a.m.

If Dr. Hill felt they could not do it again he would not have worked to keep coach Whitt. As for your (foruth place finish) That is because the Bull Crap System (BCS) does not adjust standings after the Bowl games. U know as does everyone else Utah should be and are the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. Get over the fact we stole your quest, your glory and did what you could not do this year. Hopefuly both programs will be able to represent on the National level, Utah has proven in can, BYU has proven it can't, Please cheer for your cougars to change that against OK next year. For now GO UTES, I AM A UTAH MAN

• Ute Man
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:08 a.m.

Hey Zoobies show yourselves to the door, because the grown ups are talking here!

I honestly think the Zoobs have lost it, they're discontent with their team, and want everyone to be miserable like unto themselves, sorry didn't mean to wax scriptural! Bottom line is, misery loves company! But, sorry Zoobs, you're on your own! Collie jumped ship because he knows the ship is going down.

I said in some of my other posts that I want the Zoobs to beat the pants off Oklahoma! Rewind, the Sooners are going to use and abuse your team up and down the field, all day and all night! Ever heard the saying, pride cometh before the fall?

Zoobs you gotta matchup well with the big boys in order to be one of them. Sadly the thrashing you are going to take at the hands of the Sooners will serve to bring the national opinion of the MWC down, and once again, it will be up to the Utes to build it back up.

Quit embarrassing our conference, win when it matters, heck just show up! When you can do that, then, we will have something to talk about!

• Hey Dogie....
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:03 a.m.

Admitting your problem is the first step.

Now renounce your support of the Coogs and/or Broncos and you will be on your way to a productive and fulfilling life.

13-0

:-]

• paradefan
    Jan. 17, 2009 10:00 a.m.

Has BYU recruited any speed yet??? It is so hysterical to see how bitter they are. Maybe if they can recruit some speed, they will once again be able to compete with the 'best' teams in college football.

• UIVandalFan
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:59 a.m.

Congrats to the UTES, Thank You from every so-called mid-major in the country. We need a playoff and this is a major step in the right direction. We knew that Utah, and TCU and Boise State could beat the big boys. Now its been proven, again. The Mtn. West should be a BCS Conference, but regardless of that a playoff is needed despirately. Congratulations to Utah, they deserve it.

• akk
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:53 a.m.

Thanks UTES for a wonderful season... thanks bitter haters for reminding me how not to act when my goals are not reached.

• Dogie
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:52 a.m.

I'm sorry my comment upset everyone. I don't know what it's like to win anything. I hardly get out of my grandmother's basement. I've never had a girlfriend. I've never had a friend. The only thing I have is my collection of Star Wars action figures.

• Hey Hawk....
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:51 a.m.

The Utes achieved PERFECTION. 13-0 no other team in America achieved that level of sucess.

As Coach Boone said in Remember the Titans,

"Football is about controlling that anger, harnessing that aggression into a team effort to achieve perfection!"

The Utes did that, they achieved prefection and no artifical designation of national champion can add to, or detract from that.

PERFECTION, it's a Ute thing so maybe you wouldn't understand.

BTW, what was your teams record?

• To the BYU Trolls
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:38 a.m.

Last week a friend at work had one of those management/motivational type illustrations, you know the ones, they say "Courage" or "Dedication" or "Attitude" with some nice photo, such as of a mountain climber near the top of a red rock pinnacle, or whatever. Well, this one said "Bitterness" and had a picture of some fans in BYU garb with dumbfounded/hateful looks, supposedly attending the Sugar Bowl.

Everybody said, "funny, huh, what do you think?"

I said, "no, goes too far, not funny, lots of classy BYU fans have been so supportive, etc., etc."

With due respect to all those who "get it," those who loved and respected John Stockton's play although he never got a "ring," those classy BYU fans, I have to say that guys like Dogie, CP, The Game that Keeps on Winning, Give Me a Break, Hawk, and Cali Coug, may have proved me wrong.

Maybe next year's Tee-shirt should say, "Bitterness, Elevated?"

• Anonymous
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:36 a.m.

The parade was AWESOME! What better way to spend any Friday afternoon than pent up at some job I hate cuz I graduated from the Zoo and couldn't get a real job!

Thanks Utes for giving us a reason to celebrate! Theres far too few of these occasions (especially down South).

• Best Parade
    Jan. 17, 2009 9:35 a.m.

For a team that will never win a national championship in football

• Re: Dogie
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:57 a.m.

Jealous BYU/Boise State fan, can't you give it a break? The Utes did what your team(s) could not do. Unless, you need to be reminded, the Utes went undefeated (the only team in America to do so), beating 4 top 25 teams along the way, including the team that was #1 for 5 weeks.

If this had been 1984, under the criteria in place at the time, the Utes would have been awarded the national championship. This year's Utes' victories were more impressive than anything BYU did in 1984, and anything that Boise State has ever done.

So give the Utes their do. It was a tremendous accomplishment. It was obviously one that has caused a ton of jealousy on the part of the Utes' competitors.

• AZ Ute
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:46 a.m.

Dogie- Man, you need to lighten up. Let's see, maybe we are teaching our children:
    1. That it is good to celebrate positive accomplishments.
    2. That it is good to congratulate young people on their successes.
    3. That it is good for a community to come together in a non religious or political way.
    4. That it is ok to be proud of being U of U fan.

I could go on but hopefully this will get you started..you finish the list.

• RE: Dogie
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:37 a.m.

Dogie is jealous, but I guess he is taking lessons from our good friend Ricky Bobby, if you ain't first, your last.

GO UTES!!

OUT

• Hey Dogie....
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:37 a.m.

It's parade for living the Cougar's Quest.

The "Quest for Perfection" - that's what we are teaching our children.

The Utes were perfect, 13-0.

For your Cougs, well there's always next year.

• Ute fan
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:25 a.m.

It was a parade to celebrate what this team accompished...a perfect season. The final ranking had nothing to do with it.

• Dear Dogie:
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:18 a.m.

UTES DESERVE THIS [ARADE AND EVERYONE KNOWS THEY'RE NO. 1, EVEN ESPN AND THE REST OF THE PRIOR NAYSAYERS - Go back to Cougville, put on your "quest for perfection" shirt, convince yourself that you were "that close", blame someone for your 3 humiliating losses (usually refs) and live satisfied that Bronco will not change any game plan at halftime. Get ready for your whooping by Louks next year because you still have no secondary and Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid of your debut at New Texas Stadium, because Bob Stoops is going to make it his mission to crush you.

• They earned it
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:15 a.m.

So let them enjoy it. I'm a Cougar fan but let's face it, the Y choked. Utah did what they had to do and represented the conference well on a national stage. BYU lost their bowl game to a team they should have beaten.

• Cali Coug
    Jan. 17, 2009 8:08 a.m.

They came in fourth place in the BCS Poll...which is better than 21st but come on...a parade for a fourth place finish! Chris Hill must feel the school will never accomplish this again. Although they will finish 4th in the MWC in 2009...maybe they'll have another parade.

• Hawk
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:56 a.m.

Living outside of Utah and not following the news cycle very closely, I guess I missed it -- are the utes national champions? CONGRATS! Last I had heard they finished second, but I just read that SLC had a parade for them, so I'm just assuming they must have won a national championship. Awesome! Again, congratulations, utes for finally acheiving what TDS did years ago!

• Floyd
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:54 a.m.

Dear Dogie, I pity your children

• jane
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:54 a.m.

What a great year...Go Utes

• Glen
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:52 a.m.

Being a pathetic bitter whiner is a value I'd like my children to learn, so thanks for your insightful comment. I'll frame it and post it on the wall above my kids beds.

Here are some of the "values" we may be celebrating:

Overcoming negativity from the so-called experts.

Never quiting, even when a positive outcome looks next to impossible.

Working hard to break down barriers.

And last but not least, striving for and achieving perfection.

• Second Place?
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:48 a.m.

The only reason why you(Dogie) think this team came in second place is because you really do think that a 13-0 season is worse than a 13-1 season. When you are undefeated you are only considered to be in second place when you lose hence the New England Patriots.

• Re: Dog Pile
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:47 a.m.

The Utes are winners! You are just a little bitter.

Congratulations to Utah and all non BCS teams!

The Utes demonstrated that they can beat anyone throughout the entire season not just during their bowl roll!...

One can't wait until they extend the bowl winning streak even further. Our season tickets are already banked.

• CP
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:45 a.m.

Wow I love the way the city had put on this "party" for the Utes "studs". I hope the band lead the way. Cause in reality it's the band that keeps the fans going - other wise all these football games and b-ball games would be very boring. It's still a shame that the U felt they couldn't help the band in any way to go to the inaugeration. I hope Huntsman and Shurtleff opened up their pockets and helped them, like I'm sure they did with this parade.

• Dogie-Open Your Eyes
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:27 a.m.

They are the only undefeated team in the country! By merit and play they are #1. I know that just hurts for a Cougar fan like yourself. BYU will never do what Utah just did. The 1984 team was such a fluke and uncomfortable for its lack of merit in who BYU beat (4th place team in Big Ten) that the conspirators created the BCS.

• RE: Dogie
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:27 a.m.

From Vegas Ute:

Its OK to celebrate overcoming all obstacles put in your path.

Its OK to share in a sense of community.

Its OK to acknowledge hard work, and the result of it.

Its OK to congratulate a high level of achievement.

Its OK to recognize that sometimes that its the willingness to struggle against all odds that counts.

Its OK to say: Thanks for memory.

Its OK to revel in having done what none of your peers can say they have done.

Its OK to congratulate those who you compete against (sportsmanship).

It's OK to say: "Nothing is impossible".

It's OK to take joy in the journey, when the destination is not attainable.

Its all good!

Teach correct principles. They are the pillars that values rest upon.

Dogie: This comment is the only bone I can give you,
    chew well!

• DrewtheUteMan
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:24 a.m.

What values are "we" teaching our children? I was at the parade with my two young daughters and wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. We were there celebrating an amazing season with our Ute football team. What an awesome accomplishment to beat mighty Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and also trounce Dogie's team (48-24) along the way. Hopefully when you say "we", Dogie, that didnt include you. Don't try to rain on our parade with tears from your team's broken dreams.

• Give me a break
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:21 a.m.

A parade. What's next a holiday? Oh wait they did that as well. Maybe it should be a national holiday. We could call it - National Overreaction Day. News flash people - the Utes didn't win a national championship and acting like it doesn't make it so. They had a great season but this is getting reduculous. Maybe Utah should change their names to the Wannabe's.

• gladejo
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:12 a.m.

Are you for real, Dogie? I am a Cougar fan, as blue as they come, but I salute the Utes for accomplishing what they did this year. It isn't about celebrating being #2, though they have every reason to do so. The system stinks, but that isn't Utah's fault. A total team effort is required to be undefeated - no one else in the whole country did it every single week! There are so many good values that can be gleaned from what they did. I feel sorry for anyone who can't find any values to teach their children from what the Utes did.

• Wiley Old School
    Jan. 17, 2009 7:05 a.m.

We're teaching our children that hard work and accomplishment can and should be celebrated from time to time.

But I guess that's a bad message to teach. When your kid is named as salutotorian instead of valedictorian, I'm sure it will do them good to hear from you that such a trivial accomplishment is not worthy of acknowledgement.

Olympic athletes earning silver medals should just toss their medals in the trash. Certainly home towns and media of such athletes shouldn't promote mediocrity by recognizing these athletes. All that fuss about Dana Torres was certainly embarassing.

Oh yeah, and Avis should just cease operations.

Dogie, please let us know how to get in touch with you so that we can invite you to bring your wonderful message and your personal example of outstanding accomplishment to our young people.

• Scott
    Jan. 17, 2009 6:30 a.m.

Dougie, get a life, will ya? I am pleased that Ute fans everywhere love their team and applaud their accomplishment. Lets have some fun and be happy for awhile.

• Record
    Jan. 17, 2009 6:20 a.m.

BYU Fans: Please get out your journal and enter this one as something the cougar-ettes will never achieve.

• To Dogie:
    Jan. 17, 2009 5:19 a.m.

I know for my family and I, Utah and BYU fans alike, the Utes gave us something to cheer about during a time when there isn't a whole lot of good news. The team not only played with tremendous heart and talent, but they represented the state of Utah with class and grace. Truly a team of great character.

You don't have to enjoy the moment, but don't criticize the rest who have chosen to celebrate. This season will live on as the greatest college football season in Utah, to date.

How about putting a smile on your face and just enjoying the moment.

• Proud Utah Alum
    Jan. 17, 2009 5:17 a.m.

Dogie,

I guess the only values you think we should teach our kids is the only accomplishment worth celebrating is if there is no one in front of you? It's not as if this was some of sort of protest parade, but a parade honoring the only undefeated team in the FBS and the Sugar Bowl champions. The Utes second place finish was not a result of a loss, but rather a system that doesn't quite work like it promised it would. So, if you have issue with a parade, that's fine, but don't take some moral high ground that doesn't exist when you are worried about the values it teaches your kid. The only thing that is clear hear is that you think winner take all is value, that isn't quite right in my opinion.

• K. Winert
    Jan. 17, 2009 5:04 a.m.

I want to offer my congratulations to the team. It was a great win over Alabama and a great season. You really deserved t be #1 and you deserve the parade and any other kudos you receive. BTW, this is coming from a huge Cougar fan.

• Dogie
    Jan. 17, 2009 4:46 a.m.

what kind of comment is that? Who says they came in second? They had a tremendous football year. Kudos to them. The Utes deserve all the honor they are getting. Unfortunately, the one honor they deserve the most, the #1 ranking, they won't get. All this coming from a BYU fan. I think it's great. Love those Utah Utes.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 17, 2009 4:41 a.m.

Who cares about freaking rankings? This team went out and beat every team on its schedule. No other team in America can say that. That is what is really being celebrated. Not some ranking that is based upon the biased opinions of those who are against us. I really am starting to wonder why they hate us so much. All we do is continue to do it on the field year after year when no one says that we can. How the hell can you say we came in second place when we didn't lose to ANYBODY? To me, there is not and has never been a national champion in Major College Football. Until a playoff system is put into place, nobody can claim this to be false. The "non-BCS" stigma is the only reason did not get their chance to be the real National Champion. A playoff system would solve this problem.

• The game that keeps on giving
    Jan. 17, 2009 3:18 a.m.

Just wait until what you see what they have planned next month.

March will be a special celebration.

April looks big.

May will be huge.

June will be special.July will remember the special ones.

July will be the most cxpensive celebration of them all.

August will be boffo.

September will leave you laughing, crying and yet thinking.

During football season each halftime will be a presentation of the many national trophies they were presented. Crackerjack, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Carl's Jr. are a few of the sponsors.

2010 is when the Utah fans are waiting to really celebrate this the greatest team in Utah history (#2 in the nation).

Shurtluff, Decker, plan a ceremoy per week. People from Pioneer will be payed as actors to replicate the game every weekend throughout the summer (Which will work well, because many of the actors played football at the U of U, culmination on December 25, no longet know in Utah as Christmas, but Ute-Mas, where by legend, Kyle enters each house and sprinkles Sugar in each child's cereal.

Then the made for TV movie.

What a honor for the team from Utah, 2nd place in the whole-wide country...

Sorry, I was just gushing...

• CP
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:52 a.m.

Oh was that yesterday? Gee I was busy doing other important things that were worth more of my attention. I was spending time with my husband and we were watching the Discovery Channel.

• gdog3gtb
    Jan. 17, 2009 1:37 a.m.

RE:dogie, the Utes were unbeaten and Sugar Bowl Champs. That's reason to celebrate (parade). As for finishing second. That's all voting. Why wait for voters who don't pay close attention to decide who's champion and who should throw parades.

• Dogie
    Jan. 17, 2009 12:07 a.m.

oh brother. A parade? For coming in second place? What values are we teaching our children?