Speed limit of 80 mph now legal on parts of I-15

• Matt
    Nov. 7, 2009 5:56 a.m.

People in the U.S. need to learn how to drive but we can all blame the eduation system on that. Speed doesn't kill, stupid does.

• Germanguy
    Aug. 22, 2009 9:21 a.m.

How typical, just got from the autobahn. Drove about 2 hours with a constant speed of 110 MPH. Not everybody does that or want to do that, but there is room to do so. Don't see the point of this discussion. Let people decide for themselves. Give Troopers the task of maintaining safety by fining for dangerous behavior like calling will driving, unessesry left driving and dangerous overtaking, instead of driving 3 mph over speed. That is a hilarious joke!

• Ohio
    June 25, 2009 4:23 p.m.

Yeah the LDS debate is stupid. It's plain and simple, you go slow your going to get run over. I speed but I respect other drivers who go the speed limit. Drivers who go under the limit get under my skin. They impede traffic and this leads to more accidents. If you are going to go under the speed limit, then at least stay in the right lane. I have personally ran into a couple drivers who find it there place to limit other drivers speed and lets just say after about the third time of them doing this all they see is the slushie i was holding and camaro tailights speeding off. After that they tend to mind their own business and stay in the right lane. Now im not sayin to go do this but if you think its your place to limit others speed you might wanna think twice about it when driving through Ohio.

• Amazed
    May 20, 2009 10:53 p.m.

I am not sure what is harder to believe. The article or the comments. How did an article about speed limits turn into a for/against the LDS church?

May 20, 2009 10:23 p.m.

My Car Lol... Does not even change to its final gear tell about 116 MPH. Granted it is not all cars I just think its funny all the EPA stuff we have on our cars and speed restrictions. Which in turn cause the lower gas mileage. My same car in Germany get 15-20 Miles more per gallon than what it does in the USA. Explain that. And as previously stated Fatality Rates are lower in Germany, proving only that speed is not the factor but better engineering and education.

• DAN
    May 20, 2009 10:06 p.m.

Keep in mind "Follow the prophet | 2:02 p.m. Jan. 9, 2009" that UT State Law Always says that is Impeding Traffic and is actually a Larger Fine than speeding 10 MPH over. Left Lane is for Passing only in UT and typically should be used as such. It is just a nice to be aware of others. If someone is going faster behind you and you notice please get aside. This allows both drivers to be more aware and in turn can help to cause less accidents.

• Sanosuke from Canada
    May 10, 2009 3:20 p.m.

Most of the comments on this come from pacifists.. It just amazes me nobody wants to go fast enough to get to where they want to be.. *chuckle while shaking head*

• Tom
    May 8, 2009 4:19 p.m.

I've done today 350 miles in 3 hours 45 minutes.
    60% of the roads I used have only two lanes each direction.
    There is a 50mph speed limit for trucks.
    There are much more trucks than on most interstates in the US.
    My average speed was 93mph. My highest speed was 153mph. At this speed on a three lanes part I have to go change the middle lane to let a faster car pass.
    My speed was than 100mph higher than the speed of the trucks on the rigth lane.
    There was no problem: It was safe, it was convenient and it was legal.
    My fuel consumption was about 13 gallons of diesel.

80mph? That's slow!

• Reply to "follow the prophet"
    May 1, 2009 12:43 p.m.

If your LDS you should have been taught to be humble, not to boast about your religion, lets keep that out of this. I have also driven in these stretches and there really isn't a lot of cars on these areas so there is no worry of it being crowded and an accident occurring.

• JG
    Feb. 19, 2009 4:26 a.m.

I am from Germany and I only can say that the whole discussion here makes me smile. On half of the German highways we are "free to go" - Everyone can choose his own speed. That makes speedlimits more acceptable since they exist only where there is a reason (well ok, most of the time...).

I am happy about every step governments in the US do in the direction of higher or even no speed limits.
    It's a pity that Montana had to fall back to 75 mph in 1999 - only because of the fact that the term "reasonable and prudent" was too vague for the law.

• John G
    Jan. 18, 2009 1:17 p.m.

Actually the death rate has gone even lower as of 2006.
    USA: 5.0 per Billion kvmt
    Germany 3.0
    -International Road and Traffic Accident Database

The Autobahn is always the white elephant in the room that nobody in the safety movement wants to talk about because it blows a hole right through their speed theories. It illustrates that lane discipline is far more important than speed.

Our death rate is about 65% higher. Kind of embarrassing considering our oppressive speed policies. Obviously our strategy is failing. We are driving slower, have less freedom, our auto industry is on life support, we are burning more fuel per mile driven even though we drive slower, and more people are dying. None of the promised benefits championed by the safety community have materialized. I think we should take Germany's approach, we could save a lot of lives and maybe even our auto industry.
    Also, when did so many Americans become such scared little pathetic creatures. All government has to do now is even suggest something might be dangerous and everyone screams bloody murder. It's good people weren't this scared and weak during the revolution or we would not even have a country.

• Brian02340@yahoo.com
    Jan. 16, 2009 10:07 a.m.

80 is a very reasonable speed limit for a rural interstate. When speeds are reasonable (about the 85th percentile), people obey them and driving is safer. When they are ridiculously low (such as 55) people completely disregard them. It is the government's own fault of the ten over mentality. Had speed limits always been reasonable, then drivers would not have the ten over mentality. Thank you Representative Scott Jenkins for being the one that got this done! Drive safe, drive up to 80 and if elected officials lower or allow it to be lowered, then vote those who supported the decrease out of office!

• Fast and Safe
    Jan. 10, 2009 3:14 p.m.

To "Follow the Prophet": if you really respect the law, do what you do but on the right lane. No one is asking others to break the law; everyone is discussing whether the new speed limit is reasonable.
    Please do not connect fast driving to reckless driving. I think driving carefully over 80 mph is safer than being ignorant at 50 mph on the same highway. I've driven on the German autobahn as well as other european highways; at 180 kph (110 mph), I feel safer than 70 mph on our highways which I usually see people suddenly pull in front of me at 60 mph. Can anyone tell me on what safety measure our 65 limit is based? I hope it is not based on the accommodation for bad driving behaviors. We should focus on improving our road condition and driver education rather than keeping the low speed limit.

• Speed does not kill
    Jan. 10, 2009 12:22 p.m.

Fatality Rate per 1 Billion KM on Motorways
    USA: 5.2
    Germany: 3.8

• No 65 is good
    Jan. 9, 2009 10:54 p.m.

I think the speed should be 65 tops. speed kills. also, yes- they to go fast in european plases, but check out the death from it. It's up up up. is that what we want/??????????

• stupid!!
    Jan. 9, 2009 10:38 p.m.

If they are going to moniter that section more closely and not let you go ten over eighty, why not just keep it at 75 and keep the enforcement a little lax??

• To "what a joke"
    Jan. 9, 2009 4:25 p.m.

I don't agree with what "Follow the Prophet" said any more than you do, and I'm LDS. Why don't you quit generalizing. Your logic is flawed, much like the aforementioned poster. You could both stand to grow up a bit.

• To Follow the prophet
    Jan. 9, 2009 4:20 p.m.

I believe they passed legislation against impeding traffic while in the left lane... making it against the law. According to your own justification, you are violating your own beliefs.

In addition, all mankind have been granted their own free agency. By blocking others from using the left lane as you see fit, you are in fact seeking to remove that free agency. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure God didn't look too kindly on that sort of action the first time it happened with Satan, and since he never changes, probably doesn't have the highest opinion of your choice either.

Let all men and women make those choices for themselves, it's not your job to do it for them. You can be a fine example in the other lanes where you are not violating traffic laws, or purposely causing contention on the road. The beam before the mote my friend.

• 85th percentile
    Jan. 9, 2009 3:50 p.m.

I think 85th percentile speed means 15% of drivers are going faster than 80. Not 85%. It's like scoring the 85th percentile on a test. That means 15% were higher than you, 85% were lower.

• Doug S
    Jan. 9, 2009 3:40 p.m.

Over a distance of four hundred miles, I can save twenty minutes by driving 80 rather than 75. At that speed my Toyota Corolla might lose 3 miles per gallon over its optimal mileage of 35 mpg.

So, at 75 mph I use about 11.4 gallons of gas. At 80 mph I use 12.5 gallons of gas. At $1.60 a gallon, it has cost me $1.76 to shave twenty minutes off my travel time. In my opinion, that's well worth it.

• BH
    Jan. 9, 2009 3:33 p.m.

Follow the Prophet is being somewhat hypocritical.

First he chastises others for breaking the law. Then he openly admits that he intentionally breaks the law himself by driving in the left lane at 5 MPH under the speed limit, as some sort of self appointed traffic flow control.

Doesn't he know that Utah law states that slower traffic must stay to the right, and that it is against the law to impede traffic flow?

Perhaps if he wants to set such a good example, he needs to quit picking and choosing which laws he wants to be an example of, at the expense of others.

Mike B: Fuel consumption at higher speeds have less to do with design of the powertrain and more to do with drag. Those concerned with fuel economy have a valid point. But much more could be done that would save more fuel than slowing down. But that's another subject by itself.

• Mike B.
    Jan. 9, 2009 2:57 p.m.

Fred: Actually gas mileage is different for different engines. Some are specifically tuned to get the best gas mileage at 55 MPH, some at 60 MPH and so on. So an 80 MPH speed limit does NOT always equal better mileage.

• a chance
    Jan. 9, 2009 2:47 p.m.

It is better to die on the road than in the womb, at least you get to experience the planet for a little while, and you never have to pay off that pesky credit card debt either, but you do get to spend the money and enjoy life for a while.

To save the most gas, you need to drive backwards, because the transmission stays in first gear when it is in reverse, and all that shifting of gears is the major cause of wasting fuel in this country. Think about it.

Plus driving backwards is so much safer, you can't fall asleep while driving in reverse because it is so uncomfortable to look back over your shoulder. How many people get in a wreck while driving backwards? hardly any!

And if a cop comes afer you, they will actually start out driving after you in the other direction, because they won't know that you are going in reverse. By the time they figure out they are getting farther away from you instead of closer, they will give up and go pick on someone else.

This is really the best way to go.

Airplanes should probably go backwards too.

• I need your money
    Jan. 9, 2009 2:33 p.m.

The little towns are all for this, hoping that you will forget to slow down when you drive through their town so they can pick up a little christmass bonus for their policemen.

I need a cruise control with a gps connected to it so I can program it when to speed up and slow down.

Add in a radar detector too, so it will go 15mph over and then drop down to the speed limit when it smells a cop.

Also need a directional electron burst stun gun mounted in a hidden compartment under the hood to shoot at the slow pokes in front of me and fry their engine computer and electronics if they block traffic.

By the way, my car doesn't run on oil. Yours doesn't need to either.

• That Guy
    Jan. 9, 2009 2:22 p.m.

I drive 85 on every stretch of I-15. Traffic just makes it a challenge!

• What a joke!
    Jan. 9, 2009 2:05 p.m.

How typical of LDS drivers to think they can "set a good example" by restricting the rest of us when we want to go faster. Do us a favor and stay in the right lane!

Jan. 9, 2009 2:02 p.m.

I am active LDS and I am insulted by these comments from San Diego and Seattle -- the liberal West Coast mentality shines through! Whatever happened to "honoring and obeying the law" -- as the prophet asks us to do?

I do my part by driving 5mph under the speed limit, and staying in the left lane to set a good example for my brothers and sisters.

• San Diego
    Jan. 9, 2009 1:59 p.m.

I like driving in San Diego because everyone drives at least 75 where possible. Even those in the right lane.

I dislike driving in Utah because people drive in the left lane at 5mph under the limit. They refuse to move over when I come up behind them.

• fred
    Jan. 9, 2009 1:49 p.m.

You actually save gas by going faster because you are driving your car a reduced amount of time than going slower and driving longer. Plus it is safer to go faster because you are on the road less time and reduces the opportunity for accidents.

People who are driving in the left lane at a speed slower than the flow of traffic should be stopped and the UHP should crush their car and leave them and their car by the side of the road.

• How about Colorado and Wyoming?
    Jan. 9, 2009 1:41 p.m.

Not quite as good as Reasonable and Prudent, but every mile per hour helps!

• The Rock
    Jan. 9, 2009 1:18 p.m.

I was born in American Fork.
    I graduated from BYU.
    I live in Seattle.
    I feel like I am taking my life in my hands everytime I drive in Utah as it is.
    I have had several friends killed on Utah highways.
    None have been killed in Washington or in California (where I lived from age 8 to 33).

Utah drivers are the worst I have ever seen.
    I drive 70 in your 75 zones because that is fast enough.

I am a conservative and hate Washington's liberal politics. The liberals kill their young while still in the womb.
    Utah kills them on the highways.

• LOL
    Jan. 9, 2009 12:54 p.m.

In reference to the 12:19 p.m. comments. I have driven that stretch of highway often and there has never been a time when I couldn't be in the right lane going 75mph over 95% of the time. Sure I may need to pass a few semi trucks here and there, but I don't pass them by going just 1mph faster than they are traveling. Good grief, change lanes, speed up 5-10mph and get back in the right lane. Pretty simple. How many millions of dollars would it take to add extra lanes? Would it save anymore lives? Logic please....

• Whiners
    Jan. 9, 2009 12:51 p.m.

To those who think it's dangerous for someone in the left lane to be going 80mph while they are going 65mph in the right lane, ever been on a two-lane highway? If someone who is traveling West at 55mph, hits someone traveling East at 55mph, it's many times more likely that a fatality will occur than if someone rear ends you when they are going 80mph and you are going 65mph. The primary dangers on the road from other drivers isn't speed, it's common sense. Too close of a following distance, erradic lane changes, impeding the flow of traffic, intoxication, driving at high speeds on icy roads or in times of poor visibililty, etc.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 9, 2009 12:19 p.m.

It is interesting to me to see how many comments are made about staying out of the left lane. If anyone has driven this stretch of highway often, you know you cannot always stay to the right. There is often a chain of semi trucks that block both lanes.
    It might be a better suggestion to leave the speed limit where it was and put in extra lanes. That way the trucks will be out of everyones way.

• Minimum speed limit
    Jan. 9, 2009 11:35 a.m.

Instead of a Maximum speed limit on the free way...there should be a minimum speed limit of 80MPH

• Save gas?
    Jan. 9, 2009 11:33 a.m.

Forget that!
    The greedy oilmen are leaving town next week.
    Gas prices will never, never, never, ever go up again!

• SO...
    Jan. 9, 2009 11:24 a.m.

...If most of the people are breaking the law then it's OK.
    What kind of stupid liberal mentality is that?

• Dear Geezer
    Jan. 9, 2009 10:35 a.m.

1. No; and 2. Who cares?

• @Geezer
    Jan. 9, 2009 10:26 a.m.

The energy consumption varies from one car model to another, and even between cars of the same model depending on how they're maintained. Every car has a "sweet spot" where the engine is consuming the least fuel, but where that spot is depends on the combination of the engine, the transmission and the driving conditions.

In short, "Your Mileage May Vary".

Jan. 9, 2009 10:26 a.m.

To you drivers who don't want to drive 80 MPH?

Stay out of the left hand lane.....its against the law to impede traffic in the left lane while there is room for you to move over to the slower lanes!

• Anonymous
    Jan. 9, 2009 10:07 a.m.

"The 80 mph limit was based on studies last summer that showed the 85th percentile of speed in those stretches was already 80 mph."

Of course people went 80mph. Everyone knows they can push the speed limit by 5mph. But now the average will be 85mph.

• To Wendover anyone
    Jan. 9, 2009 10:00 a.m.

Read the article. They used Juab county as a test area due to less traffic than the west desert.

• Great
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:49 a.m.

Many of our new cars are advanced enough that they handle 80 easily. Many of our alert drivers will have no problem handling this speed. When you hear about someone slamming into the behind of a slow moving vehicle, speed is not always an issue. I'm all for this.

• Geezer
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:37 a.m.

Does anybody care about conserving energy? What's the energy consumption per mile at 80 vs. lower speeds?

• Isn't this.....
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:31 a.m.

how they study to see if there is a need for speed out on the freeway?

Lets see some fatalities and then do something after the end results?

• Stephen
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:25 a.m.

Good. 80 is a perfectly safe speed.

I have been driving that speed for some time and have had no problems at all.

We need to move beyond the mentality that anything above what the slowest person drives is crazy.

Speed limits should be based on the 85%. The speed that up to 85% of the drivers drive.

If you want to drive slower, by all means go ahead. Just be polite and keep to the right lane except when passing. The same thing all motorists should do.

• From Texas
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:19 a.m.

Texas has two very long stretches of 80mph limits on Interstate 10 and Interstate 20 in west Texas. They have found that very few people are speeding much over the 80 mph limit. Some are going 85, very few above that. It has not been an automatic, "let's go 10mph above whatever speed limit is posted." They have found the vast majority of drivers don't have a comfort level to drive much over the 80-85 mph speeds. So some of the comments here don't actually play out in real life.

• Power
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:16 a.m.

The Bill Hickman Law.

• Wendover anyone?
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:10 a.m.

Why Juab county, why not across the west desert where everyone already drives at least 80? I say open the whole stretch from Knolls to the Stateline as a test area.

• Studies
    Jan. 9, 2009 9:09 a.m.

As a professor of highway safety studies show that there are less accidents and the severity of those accidents are less when speed limits are higher.

• ???
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:47 a.m.

My husband and I drove to Cedar City and back last week. I couldn't believe the 80 speed limit, and can't really understand a logical reason for it. Drivers already drive 80 on those stretches of road (with the mentality of "the police won't ticket you if you're 5 miles over) so now they'll drive 85?

This seems to be a way to get people to drive faster and forget to slow down at these towns so they can be ticketed. Fillmore is already a speed trap.

We all like to get through long, boring stretches of road quickly, but accidents can still happen in these areas.

What a dumb idea, this 80 mph speed limit!

• James
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:30 a.m.

Despite rural and urban interstate speed limits slowly increasing over the last decade, motor vehicle fatality rates have been declining over the same period. In 1994, there were 1.73 motor vehicle deaths per 100 million miles driven in the US. That rate was 1.37 at the end of 2007, a 21% decline in 13 years. Do a Google search for motor vehicle fatality statistics and click on the first link. The reason for increasing the speed limit is, as Mario alluded to, to decriminalize harmless behavior.

Evidence demonstrates that driving faster does not cause accidents. Driving coupled with bad judgment, regardless of being over or under a posted speed limit, is the cause of accidents and fatalities (e.g. driving drunk, fatigue, inattentiveness, etc.). If you're familiar with how to prevent bad judgment, then please share if with the rest of us.

• cb
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:30 a.m.

Accoording to the article, 85% of drivers are going 80 already. I apploud the state for honoring the natural speed on the freeway. Know if they would enforce slower drivers in the left lane law.

• xscribe
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:26 a.m.

Alan, please cite us the studies that drivers won't now drive 3-5 miles an hour over the posted 80-mile-an-hour speed limit. I've never seen a higher speed limit where drivers actually drive that limit; most drivers will drive faster than what is posted. I don't know about Utah, but here in Colorado, where I, too, drive 3-5 over the 75-mile-per-hour limit, I get passed like I'm standing still. I've also at that same speed counted how many drivers I pass in a 60-mile stretch, and it was exactly one. Now, with that said, I think drivers are already driving 80 miles per hour, so it's good they are testing it out so as to make it legal. Hopefully it doesn't make for more accidents and deaths, but time will tell on that.

• The real change needed.
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:20 a.m.

Speed limits are stupid. The cars can safely travel at those speeds. Many can safely travel much faster. It is the drivers that need to be scrutinized. Weaving traffic, pulling out in front of someone while driving 20 MPH slower than them. Not moving back to the right hand lane after a pass. Not slowing down if the road conditions are poor. Cops should just put away their radar detectors and pull over the idiots out there instead.

• Wes
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:19 a.m.

hahahahah. My old truck won't even go 80 mph.

• Davis
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:15 a.m.

How nice. 80 as a limit and many won't hit it but when the limit goes down to 65 they speed up to 80.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 9, 2009 8:10 a.m.

This is a good idea. Traveling through rural Utah at 75mph is ok but I usually set the cruise at 83 anyway.

• Texas
    Jan. 9, 2009 7:52 a.m.

Interstate 10 from about Kerrville to El Paso is 80 mph in Texas. When I drive it, most people stick to the limit, and it's great. Speed limit for trucks is still 70. Even if it was 70 mph for cars, there are always some who will do 90 mph anyway. Let the law of evolution decide their fate.

• Wasteful
    Jan. 9, 2009 7:50 a.m.

Speeds like that are wasteful - they burn more gas, cost us more money, and make the roads more dangerous. We should be heading the other direction... 65 mph tops, everywhere. We have to stop wasting our limited resources; who wants to support the middle-east oil companies more?

• --Ray
    Jan. 9, 2009 7:43 a.m.

90 really isn't that fast. One almost NEEDS to drive 90 across certain parts of Wyoming, Utah, and other flat areas of the country. And who can stay awake driving so slowly otherwise. Driving at the edge of one's ability to keep the car on the road helps keep the adrenaline pumping, which is essential on long trips. --Ray

• Love it!
    Jan. 9, 2009 7:36 a.m.

Great Idea! I love the speed limit change! I drive the points frequently and enjoy the OPTION to go faster. If you are upset with it get in the right lane and drive whatever speed you want. Faster has not been proven to be more dangerous! Auto Bahn ect! Happy Driving!

• Bob2
    Jan. 9, 2009 7:18 a.m.

New line by the Tire Guys in Beaver who try to scam you into buying tires while you fill up at gas station connected to their store...

"Welp, I don't know if I'd go through those 80 mph patches on those. I think I might be saving you a big headache if we could slap the spare on it. Bring it on over and we'll pop er up on the rack..."

• Zoo Mom
    Jan. 9, 2009 7:01 a.m.

I don't think upping the speed limit was a smart move. I agree with "STUPID"s 5:41 comment. Those of us who choose to drive 65 - 75 will irritate the faster drivers and before you know it, a wreck will occur with fatalities.

• gas
    Jan. 9, 2009 6:55 a.m.

gas anyone? wasting gas at high speeds..... and we say this state is conservative, and that we are concerned about our use of God's resources.

are we a joke or what.

• DUI
    Jan. 9, 2009 6:45 a.m.

I think it is stupid, because all the drunk drivers out there will get a little more slack when they drink and drive! They pull them over for speeding, and then they find that they're drunk. Now, with an increased speed limit, they don't have to worry as much!

• WHY?
    Jan. 9, 2009 6:26 a.m.

Although I agree that it's good to get through Juab County as fast as possible, what is the reasoning for raising the speed limit?

• Our legislature at work
    Jan. 9, 2009 6:29 a.m.

How stupid! Of course they allow 60 MPH on HI 111 in western Salt Lake Valley in residential areas. I guess the highway death toll is too low for them.

• Be Considerate
    Jan. 9, 2009 6:22 a.m.

Please don't force me off the road and kill me when you're speeding past my car! 80 is fine if people actually drive it, but if people will go 90 now then please leave it at 75.

• stupid
    Jan. 9, 2009 5:41 a.m.

Now I'll plan on being passed at 90 by some idiot that doesn't have the NASCAR skills to drive that fast while talking on their cell phone.
    We all need to slow down and learn to leave early enough to get where you're going without risking your families life. Life would be more pleasant.

• re: ut driver
    Jan. 9, 2009 5:40 a.m.

you're an idiot. the only ones going 90 are the ones from california on their way to the ski resorts. Ut drivers always go slow and block the fast lanes.

• Anonymous
    Jan. 9, 2009 5:16 a.m.

are you trying to kill off the youth of utah ? they
    can't controll their vehicle's at 65.

• re: ut driver
    Jan. 9, 2009 5:15 a.m.

I don't think so. From what I understand the state troopers have the option of throwing the book at you if they catch you going one mile over 80.

• Mario
    Jan. 9, 2009 4:40 a.m.

What,we are bring treated like adults?? I always felt speeding tickets were bogus if the driver was not impaired,vehicle is in sound mechanical condition to travel the speeds it was at,you were not weaving in and out of traffic causing others to yield to you,where's the fou?The officer pulls you over,scopes the situation out,if all is good,he says something like "Hey, lets keep it safe and have a nice day" No problem officer, you have a nice day to.Thats all it should be,not some victimless crime you get charged with and pay and pay for. So I now have more appreciation for our law makers making mature decisions for me. GO UTES!!

• Alan
    Jan. 9, 2009 4:08 a.m.

80 mph (130 km/h) is legal on similar highways of most European countries including Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine and even tiny Luxembourg. Thus, Utah's new speed zones should not be seen as unusual. Also, countless studies of the actual speeds at which motorists choose to drive demonstrate "everyone" will not "go 90" as claimed by "ut driver."

• ut driver