Sports

Utah State football: Utes' Andersen back in Logan today for second interview

Comments

• CalAGG
    Dec. 3, 2008 1:05 p.m.

All these negitive comments about a program that only has one direction to go, UP ! Everyone is only looking at the past, where USU has had no conference other than the Best West, PCAA, or Sun belt to recruit to. At least now they are in where they belong WAC and a place where they can have some growth for the FB program.
    I think for the first time in many years the program can produce a quality FB team in the near future, including a Bowl. And if they do and the coach leaves for greener pastures it will still attract another decent coach who will be able to come in and keep it going.
    And Logan is a pretty nice place to play and to receive an education. I think it's interesting how people criticize a place that was just honored again for being the "safest Metro Area" in the USA.

• canales next coach
    Dec. 3, 2008 10:00 a.m.

the only coach for utah state is mike canales. he will stay more then one year and he will bring in a great staff. mike canales is the only one for the job.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 3, 2008 9:34 a.m.

Gary Anderson is only looking for a raise at Utah. They will try to match whatever he makes at Utah State. He is not in it to be a head coach. He wants more money at utah and will wait till whittingham leaves to be the next guy there. Hire someone who wants to be there and has actual ties to the area i.e. Baer or Canales. Dont make this mistake and hire Anderson.

• What A Joke!
    Dec. 3, 2008 1:45 a.m.

What a joke, hiring someone from the U of U! Where is the loyality to the USU faithful. Mark my words; if we hire a Ute with a losing record as a HC, we will regret it.

Barnes...If you hire Andersen, your days will be numbered.

• Utah State
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:55 p.m.

I like either Andersen or John L. Smith. Hopefully they do it soon so the new coach can get started! The Aggies were much improved this year (really should have won that Fresno State game) so I think they only have room to go up from here (especially with a motivational and experienced coach) I would not be surprised to see this team to 5-6 or 6-5 next year and maybe 7-4 in a couple years if they would schedule a little easier. :)

It would be great for the state to see all local teams having a good year! Good luck to ALL!

• stj
    Dec. 2, 2008 11:13 p.m.

I really think they should have darrell dickey be the next coach. He is a great offensive coordinator and has head coaching experience! The could probably get him for 125,000 per yr and save some money!

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:19 p.m.

Anderson is a zoomer, he will be gone from Logan in 2-3 years. Logan is not a long term coaching location. He'll improve the defense, win a couple more games a year, then take the first offer at a bigger football school.

• Foundation in Place
    Dec. 2, 2008 10:14 p.m.

Those who do not think that the USU football program is on the rise did not follow aggie football very closely this year. The offense was scoring around 40 points a game the last 5 or 6 games. This was with a bunch of Freshmen and Sophmores at all the skilled positions, and a bunch of Freshmen on the offensive line. Guy put a foundation in place for there to be quite a bit of success in the next few years. This is why we are seeing such high interest in the job from quality coaches. The program is on the way up.

• Obviously Undereducated
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:51 p.m.

Tombstone's opinion is an odd one. Did somebody spit in his Bosco?

Anderson should do well and, at least arguably, has greater upside than John L. but without the baggage of having left under less than stellar conditions.

Guy was hired over Canales and Baer last time out. he still looks better on paper than the SoFla passing game (not offensive) coordinator and SanJose's linebackers' coach. Both are on the way down.

As for UCLA's DC, just why should we believe that a coordinator on a lower division P10 team would not be Guy II?

Anderson looks like the guy for the job. On the way up. Hungry. Building a killer resume the right way. If he gets the right coordinators and staff, things could turn around very quickly.

6-6 next year? Could be, even playing the southern stench both on the road in OOC.

• HS Coach
    Dec. 2, 2008 9:41 p.m.

Andersen left SUU for one reason: the SUU admin. would not support him by paying his coaches a living wage! He had some great assistants (Sitake, Roderick) with families to support who were making about 20k per year! He knew thwy qould be gone if he couldn't pay them more, but the SUU admin. told him he could not fundraise to bring in more money to pay his coaches. Why would anybody stay with that level of (non)commitment to the program? He would be an outstanding coach for USU and would recruit Utah kids. And guy left the program WAY better than he found it (better facilities, good young players, direct flights in and out of Logan - not guy's doing on the last one but still a big plus). Yes, he may leave if he does well, but honestly the type of coach who has no aspirations beyond Utah State is probably not a good enough coach to turn the program around. Are more people mad at Urban for leaving Utah, or thankful for where he left the program? (easily the 2nd) Think about that!

• Graveyard?
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:48 p.m.

Should have kept coach Guy. Get someone who wants to build a tradition and stick around!!

Graveyard?

Yeah! just look at chris cooley and Kevin Curtis. Total graveyard dude! Biggest names from the state baby!! Eat your own graveyard!!

• TOMBSTONE
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:05 p.m.

All this talk overlooks the obvious.

USU is a GRAVEYARD for FOOTBALL.

KARL ROVE could not make a winner out of USU.

ENOUGH WITH THE COMEDY!

• Hypocrits
    Dec. 2, 2008 8:03 p.m.

You all complain of no loyalty from Anderson, what great loyalty you showed guy! He took a program from scratch, got a bunch of freshman and sophmores to compete this year, yes they did not win but they put forth more effort than that program has seen in years, than you "can the guy" and won't let him coach his recruits to see how good they will become and yes next year you would have been a decent program. You want loyalty show some yourselves.

• GOUSU31
    Dec. 2, 2008 7:19 p.m.

I like how you can tell the obvious difference between those who actually watched utah state and saw the improvement and those that are clueless to workings of the program. They have improved and oh yeah, I beleive that byu got blown out by all the ranked opponents they played this year too! Its a program on the verge of great things, with a good coach and some money, they could contend in a conference that most years could contend with or beat the MWC. GO AGGIES!!!

• Plus and Minuses
    Dec. 2, 2008 7:00 p.m.

Andersen--very capable coach, downside would be as soon as he won, he would leave
    Canales--might be a real good choice, may be committed for the long haul, don't really know that much about him as a coach but people are high on him
    John L--did a good job for sure but left USU as soon as a better job presented itself, would he not likely do it again? Also, a bit long in the tooth.
    Anae--Not sure he's ready to be a Head Coach at this level but might surprise, also might be a long term guy
    Baer--Actually met him once when he was recruiting an athlete I coached at West HS years ago, I think he was ASU then--seemed like a nice guy but also came across a bit like a used car salesman. A bit older he would likely stay in the long haul and consider this his dream job. Much traveled coach and that should be a bit concerning though
    Walker--I think this might be a good choice but always a threat to leave for green pasteurs but a capable minority hire would be a feather in USU's cap and he could recruit CA well--my choice!

• rvalens2
    Dec. 2, 2008 6:36 p.m.

Re: RE:RVALENS2

"Actually USU was seconds away from being 5-7 this year playing 9 teams that are bowl eligible."

Sorry, but woulda, coulda, shoulda, isn't going to hack it. If my team loses 11 of 12 games by one point, they are still 1-11.

Although I believe Andersen will be a great hire for USU. It's going to take a couple of years for the new offensive and defensive schemes to take place.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong and USU goes 11-1, losing only to the Utes.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 6:35 p.m.

Although I think Andersen is a great coach, USU needs someone with more experience as head coach to turn things around up there. If they are smart they would be looking toward a fired MWC coach that will not have such a learning curve to turn things around. Look toward Chuck Long or Joe Glenn.
    Andersen should be looking for an assistant job at a bigger school or head coach at a program where the situation is less miserable. I think he would be stepping into a career stopper at USU and it would be another 3-4 years of frustration in Logan.

• re: on guy
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:47 p.m.

how can you say that guy has turn things around? He is the first coach that has had a shot with being in the wac and he couldn't do that. If all of his skilled players are just freshman and sophmores, it shows us that no players enjoyed playing for him. His first year was the best going 3-8 with five guys going on to the next level. Since then in the four years he has been here he has won 6 games in three seasons. Barnes did the right thing with getting rid of him and players have told me that most of the assistant coaches are worse especially coach robinson.

• Kyle Staying?
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:41 p.m.

If Anderson is leaving for USU, this may mean that Kyle isn't leaving Utah. If Anderson thought Kyle was leaving, he wouldn't step a foot in Cache County as he would surely be the top prospect for the Utah job.

• Bad Move for Both
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:39 p.m.

This would be a bad move for both Andersen and USU.

USU would do better to hire someone with prior USU ties and Andersen would do better to wait at Utah for a better option down the road. I know from direct experience that, despite what some are saying, Andersen is an effective recruiter and a very good defensive coach. He will need a really good offensive coordinator to turn the Aggies into a WAC contender, though. I don't see him turning things around for USU very quickly and predict that he will be gone within 4 years. I agree that Guy should have been given one more year.

• davidutefan
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:12 p.m.

I'd hate to see him leave the Utes but,I think Utah State can be a good fit for the right coach. If anyone do it, it's coach A. He has to change the mindset that it's a farm team for Utah and TDS (see Tate and Poppinga), But he's respected and clearly talented. I say don't go because I'm selfish and want to see him stay.

• Jeremy
    Dec. 2, 2008 5:02 p.m.

@ Anderson 3:57 p.m.:

Did you completly ignore the title of the article and have you buried your head in the sand, shutting off any contact with Utah sports? It is AndersEn from Utah.

• Too Bad
    Dec. 2, 2008 4:51 p.m.

This is not good news. Andersen is one of those guys who is a good coordinator that won't be a good head coach. Should have kept Guy.

• Darkest Shade of Navy Blue Fan
    Dec. 2, 2008 4:08 p.m.

I have watched USU football since the days of Bruce Snyder's good teams. Pella was a disaster and started the downward spiral. Weatherbie breathed some life into the program. Smith did the same. The last three coaches turned out to be bad hires. If USU feels it needs to go back in time, I would much rather flush out Weatherbie instead of Smith. But my preference is NOT to go backwards. Hire Anderson, Walker, or Canales. Any one of them would be good choices.

• RE: USU
    Dec. 2, 2008 4:01 p.m.

Gary Amdersen's first recruiting class at SUU had 26 players from the state of Utah that had received all-state honors.

• Anderson
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:57 p.m.

It's not the Anderson from Utah, its the Anderson from Michigan State. And he is a decent coach, better then Coach GUy

• USU
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:55 p.m.

I really really want Walker but I am excited about all the canidates. I think they all have something to be excited about and they have to be more media savy than Guy. Andersens stint at SUU bothers me a little but like I said I would be happy with any of the candidated provided we tried to get Walker.

• Unbelievable
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:47 p.m.

Hiring a Ute will pretty much get Barnes ran out of town.
    Start looking for Andersens replacement now. He'll be outta there in two years.
    Another hire of someone that doesn't really want to be in Logan, what a suprise. He'll be looking for a job as soon as he gets there.
    Whatever you do Aggies,,,don't hire someone that will have the support of the community. It's never been done before,,why do it now?

• AggiesMan
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:37 p.m.

BARNES PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT HIRE ANDERSON!!

We dont want him here in Logan. He has no loyalty.

NO TO ANDERSON

• Troutman
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:35 p.m.

Don't want Andersen

Have a bad feeling about This!

My 110 year old Weather forecaster even says NO!

No to Andersen!

Yes, To Chico and the Man!

• Offensive Guru
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:31 p.m.

Please hire Chico Canales. He is the man to move this program where it needs to be.

• usucade
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:27 p.m.

theres only one coach for the aggies and his name is John L. Smith not some ute coordinator USU needs a coach and John L can plain coach and recruit thats a no brainer

• John L
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:22 p.m.

I was told john L was a guarentee....

• What are you talking about?
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:16 p.m.

Guy built a great foundation? What foundation is that? The most he ever won was 4 games in a season in a very terrible conference. He's never beaten a great team and got blown out in every ranked team.

Anderson, don't go. Stay where you can win, not where you'll never win. You'll always get the scraps left over from other Utah schools. I feel so bad for any guy who gets that job.

• SUU
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:09 p.m.

What was his record as SUU...oh yeah...mmmwhahahhaa

• Mickey Mouse
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:09 p.m.

A Mickey Mouse job for a Mickey Mouse guy.

• Hmm!
    Dec. 2, 2008 3:06 p.m.

I would not want him. Look what he did at SUU. The man will never help the program.

• Coach Anderson would be
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:56 p.m.

a steal in my opinion. Many posters are down on the Aggies and probably rightfully so but USU is serious like never before about winning. I am sure that statement will earn many potshots but they have put many million into their facilities AND it appears that they are DOUBLING the pay for the incoming coach to around 500K vs. Guy making 250K approx. There is NO reason USU cannot win against other WAC teams. We beat Hawaii, NMSU and IDAHO this year, also we "could" have beat Fresno State minus the 58 yarder, so basically if Boise leaves there is NO reason we wont be in the running. I think many in Utah compare Logan to Salt Lake or Provo. Having lived in two other "WAC cities" I can say without hesitation Logan is not a bad place to live at all. Sure SLC would be better but Logan is a very nice community, low crime, good schools, outdoors, etc; Yes it is cold but if you look at averages it is within 5-10 of the greater Wasatch.

I wont politic anymore only to say Anderson would be a great great hire-Go Aggies!

• Geaux Blue
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:53 p.m.

Gary Anderson is a flake. He only coached at SUU for one year, and he hired inexperienced FRIENDS to complete his coaching staff. Wes Meier? The guy was a high school coach and became the assistant head coach. Anderson put in for the Idaho State job a couple years ago, and then he pulled out when he was becoming the front runner. He's sniffing for the best job, and he will have absolutely ZERO loyalty to USU.

Canales. Baer. Why USU doesn't reach for somebody who WANTS to be there is beyond me.

• Alaska Aggie
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:43 p.m.

I have had the great opportunity to spend a fair amount of time with Coach Guy and his staff. They have done a better job than most know. He had nothing when he started, and you can see how the young players have progressed. A sign of good coaching.

Coach Anderson will be terrific, if hired. I hope he keeps some of the good young assistants who are already there, like Danilo Robinson and Troy Copp, both of whom will be good D-coordinators within a few years.

I have faith in Barnes. I know that, like many long-suffering fans, we are ready for a turnaround!

• GeoAg
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:33 p.m.

The man can recruit. This is a blurb from the Utes site...

Andersen is also considered one of the best recruiters in the nation. He was named as the nation's No. 1 non-BCS recruiter in 2005 by Rivals.com. He was cited as a Rivals.com Top 10 non-BCS recruiter in 2008.

• True Blue
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:21 p.m.

I can't believe the negativity; Gary Anderson has been ranked in the top 10 best recruiters by scouts inc. for the past 4 years! Wake up Aggies. As for those who think it will take years to get to 6-6 you clearly didn't watch the Aggies over the last five games. I think there is a lot of talent returning and Anderson could have us bowl eligible next season!

• Re:rvalens2
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:20 p.m.

Actually USU was seconds away from being 5-7 this year playing 9 teams that are bowl eligible. keep in mind almost all of USU's skill players were freshman and sophmores. I wouldn't be surprised to see USU 6-6 next year and going to a bowl in the next 2. If you don't think so you didn't pay attention this year.

• Brian
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:14 p.m.

Would be a great hire. Do it! Go Aggies!

• Program is ripe for success
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:11 p.m.

The aggie football team is ready to take off. Guy actually built a very good foundation. With the new facilities and new committment from the administration I think USU football is going to turn some heads in the coming years. Andersen is no dummy. He sees it.

• AggiesFAN
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:11 p.m.

This is great and all, but can he recruit?

• rvalens2
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Coach Andersen don't take the job unless they give you four year contract to turn things around. Things are a mess up there. It's going to take at least a couple of years to reach 6-6.

However, I'm pulling for you USU!

• USU
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Part of their problem has always been that Brent Guy did not recruit within the state, neither will Gary Andersen don't do it! You will have the same results, mediocre out of state players that no other schools wanted. Gary would rather offer walk on status to in state kids and full scholarships to out of state kids, that works at Utah where kids want to attend may not go so well at Utah State.

• Hmmm
    Dec. 2, 2008 2:05 p.m.

I was hoping for UCLA's assistant. Anderson, Baer and Canales were next on my list of hopefuls. I was hoping it wouldn't be John L.

Coach Guy is leaving the program in better shape than when he became coach. In some ways, I wished the Aggies would have let him coach one more year. The record wasn't great, but the Aggies were going in the right direction. I hope the next coach can accelerate the improvement.

• Dont do it coach A
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:59 p.m.

Utah state is where coaching careers go to die. Stay utah another year or so and wait for a better job to open up where you can win a few games. You have 10 starters reterning on D so you will still be among the best next year too!

• Forgot a college...
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:56 p.m.

Like coach Anai, he also did a stint at Ricks College.

• Anonymous
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:47 p.m.

do it now, aggies

• SoCalAggie
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:41 p.m.

While I think it's important to get behind whom ever gets the job, I'm not real up on hiring another Asst. Coach, or even a D1AA coach. There are legit, seasoned and winning D1A coaches out there looking for work, we should start with them IMHO.

• Good bye Coach A
    Dec. 2, 2008 1:39 p.m.

I wonder if Coach Anderson will still be interested in coaching for the Utes in their bowl game, or if Kyle will even want him at the bowl game, if Gary accepts the Utah State job before the game?