Sports

Scott D. Pierce: Utah, BYU football: Big game in HD on The mtn.

Comments

• Garth Croft
    Nov. 23, 2008 9:52 a.m.

Several of us watched the U and BYU game on my new LCD 46" TV and I have to say that if the Mountain was broadcasting in HD it leaves a lot to be desired. Quality was about 50% as good as other channels with HD. Also, are they using old equipment and old cameramen?

• M/Utah
    Nov. 22, 2008 4:14 p.m.

Is there anyway to get the MTN oline?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 22, 2008 4:11 p.m.

is there any way to watch the game online?

• John/idaho
    Nov. 22, 2008 2:27 p.m.

Would like to see the BYU/U of U game but the local mountain network is dong some great defensive blocking. Boise State is on national ESPN vs Nevada. The Utah schools need to pull there heads out on broadcasting or they will never gain national respect because nobody can see them play. Go Broncos!!!!

• Gary in Wa
    Nov. 22, 2008 12:44 p.m.

is anyone having problems getting this channel today. I have directv and it will not come in.

• Deseret News
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:38 p.m.

thank you for all the comments telling me where I might be able to view the Big Game.

• smells
    Nov. 21, 2008 6:57 p.m.

smells like fear to me. BYU wins on a blocked field goal BYU 35 utes 33

• Fans from out of state
    Nov. 21, 2008 6:57 p.m.

Can follow the game on this very website by way of ticker and then the Live blog. Or, go to a place with the right dish.

• Margaret
    Nov. 21, 2008 6:45 p.m.

I want to know how fans from out of state (CA) can see or at least hear the Ute vs BYU game tomorrow. Any ideas???

• Who Care?
    Nov. 21, 2008 4:57 p.m.

Utah will win so big tomorrow that it won't matter after the 1st quarter anyway. THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE A HUGE BLOWOUT UTE WIN.

• Chicagoland Coug
    Nov. 21, 2008 4:40 p.m.

Last year I was able to tune in to most BYU games on CSTV online. Why did that change? Why can't the mtn. games be streamed through CBSCollegeSports XXL?

• Lookout Yewties
    Nov. 21, 2008 4:36 p.m.

The Mighty Cougars are coming.
    What's that smell?

• Direct TV truth
    Nov. 21, 2008 3:51 p.m.

The truth about the direct tv situation is that markets with a MWC team DO get The MTN with Choice and above programming packages. Period. Nothing special is required IF you live in a MWC market. That includes all of Colorado, all of Utah, all of New Mexico, all of Nevada, all of Wyoming, parts of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and parts of San Diego county. Even select counties in SD, ID, MT, AZ & NE get it with Choice and above packages. If you DO NOT live in a MWC market, such as Mr. Craig Templeman in Southern Oregon, YOU CAN STILL GET THE MTN! All you have to do is add the Sports Pack premium add-on to your direct tv package. It's $12/month and will give you The MTN ANYWHERE YOU CAN GET DIRECT TV. It's as simple as that. Please people - do some simple research before you freak out and post misinformation that confuses everybody. Ignorance hurts and you're bringing the pain. That said, The MTN sucks and I am HIGHLY skeptical that their "HD" will be any good. Either way, go Utes!

• Hair One
    Nov. 21, 2008 3:22 p.m.

Quit whining you bald headed old man. Save some of those tears for tomorrow during the game. Aquaman may make his return!!

• No MTN.
    Nov. 21, 2008 3:17 p.m.

News flash: THE MTN IS NOT AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE with directv. Some markets can't get it. Trust me, I speak from experience.

• MUST NOT BE
    Nov. 21, 2008 2:38 p.m.

That big of game if the only station that covers it is the MTN. That is by far the worst broadcast duo. Is it still goofy Todd Christensen and his partner who give terrible insight about the game. And then you got the high school intern holding a hand held camcorder to show the game. It's just bad.

• Craig Templeman
    Nov. 21, 2008 2:09 p.m.

I can't get the Mountain in Southern Oregon where I live. I want to see the game. Why isn't it being broadcast on a station that people out of The Mountain's range can view? Seems like a game this BIG would be picked up by ESPN, Verses, Fox Sports network or anyone that I can see. Can someone help me? Please!!!

Actually I graduated from BYU (undergraduate) and U of U (graduate degree), so I would accept help from either color Blue or Red.

Thanks, Craig cel #541-301-3627

• quit your whining
    Nov. 21, 2008 1:16 p.m.

the mtn. is available on directv to everyone.

Nobody has any excuse to not have it-it's your own fault.

• MTN
    Nov. 21, 2008 1:11 p.m.

The mtn is a joke, but at least some of us get to see it. Sorry to those who can't, the mtn is a pethetic way of trying to get money.

• Re: One Word
    Nov. 21, 2008 12:48 p.m.

We also purchased a Slingbox so we could see the games this year. And while it is better than listening to the games on the radio, it really isn't that great, especially for a game as big as this one. The picture is pretty blurry (I don't think the fact that it is on the already blurry MTN helps) and it skips minutes at a time. But if you really have no other option (such as restrictions from a landlord like we do), Slingbox is a good option.

It really is too bad that this years big game won't be seen by much of a nationwide audiance at all, it would have been great publicity for the conference, as well as BYU and the University of Utah.

GO COUGARS!

• Calif Thunder
    Nov. 21, 2008 12:31 p.m.

If you are a FAN you can get the game - it's called DIRECTV. Just like "all you whiners | 10:11 a.m.", I switched from DISH to DIRECTV as soon as The mtn came online. I agree that the quality is lacking but is much better than the days where I had to listen to the game on my car radio. Also, I was getting tired of dropping 1000 bucks every time we flew to Provo to watch a game in person. No I am not rich but I do enjoy my BYU Cougars. So those of you who really want to watch the game - YOU CAN.
    GO COUGS!!!

• One Word
    Nov. 21, 2008 12:00 p.m.

I've got one word for all of you: Slingbox. I moved outside of Utah and knew I would want to see all the BYU games so at the beginning of the season I took matters into my own hands and bought a Slingbox. Now not only can I watch the games here in San Jose, but I can also watch them on my computer ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

I will be watching the game tomorrow from San Jose even though I don't have DirecTV.

• To: all you whiners
    Nov. 21, 2008 11:00 a.m.

I find it kind of funny that "all you whiners" is actually being a whiner about the whiners. Second, you are preaching about market economies, but you are also preaching against the very thing that makes this system work. People get things by complaining and whining. It is how our system works. If people just keep their mouths shut, no change or improvements would ever be made in our society. So, whine on that!

• To: All you Whiners
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:29 a.m.

Go back to your economics homework and watching Fox Business Network! No let me explain something to you: Directv limits what channels we can get in RURAL AREAS. People who live in extremely rural areas cannot get all your precious channels. That is why some of us are with Dish Network. Even if I switched to Directv I would not be offered the Mtn. Bottom line: the Mtn. is not available in all networks even on Directv. Besides, you will NOT be watching in true HD. Just wait and see what the "HD" quality is like tomorrow.

• Tom in South Carolina
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:24 a.m.

And I will enjoy listening to the game on the internet! With about a 30-second delay mind you (as if that really matters). I ask people in the South if they have heard of the mtn, and they ask, "The what?" So much for exposure, Mr. Commissioner. It's pretty funny that the Big 10 just started their network, and it looks as though they made sure they didn't make all the same stupid mistakes the MWC did with the mtn.
    There are a lot of "if's" for this game, such as which Brian Johnson will show up, which BYU defense will show up, which Andy Ludwig will show up, if the Ute defense can keep the ball from Pitta and Collie, etc., etc. I'm with several other people in saying that Sakoda may just be the difference in the game, and that it will boil down to special teams play. Utes by maybe 2 or 3, but a lot lower scoring everyone thinks, maybe a 20 to 17, or 23 to 20.

• all you whiners
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:11 a.m.

Everyone CAN see this game. It is called DIRECTV. I dropped DISH the day Directv picked up the mtn. Why can't you? LIFE IS CHOICES.

We live in a market economy. "The mtn." needs something to barter with and BYU-Utah is it. Why can't we be happy that the mtn is now available nationally?? Agreed the quality is suspect, and the talent subpar...but it is far beyond where it was a few years ago when I used to drive 5 hours to my brother's place with comcast to watch games only on "the mtn.". They are improving and an attempt at HD is a huge step for them. I will be watching in HD. That is the choice I made.

Why is it so many readers of the Deseret News whine about eveything? Constant bickering between U and Y fans--paramount to the behavior of 5 year olds. Shut up and get to work. Wake up each day and make the choice to have a good day. After all, is the result you want in life the one that is given to everyone, or something far better that requires effort and correct choices on YOUR part?

• To: Sold the game
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:09 a.m.

Yes, but your picture will be a little blurry when looking through your tears. Go UTES!!!!!!!!!

• Mr. Hair
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:08 a.m.

I blame Craig Thompson - he stinks.

• To: The Mtn.
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:08 a.m.

I hate your guts.

• So Sad...
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:06 a.m.

I just wanted to thank those responsible for making it so a loyal BYU fan (season ticket holder since Steve Young's first year) cannot see what is probably the best BYU v. Utah game in memory!

I'm not sure how the AD's sleep at night knowing the signed a deal that essentially blackmails people into getting DirectTV!

• Sold the game
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:54 a.m.

The MWC basically sold exclusive rights to the BYU/Utah game to the Mtn in order to get DirecTV to include the Mtn on their network.

So no, there's no possibility of a simulcast on Versus and College CBS Sports.

My picture, however, will be better than HD, since it will be live and in person.

Go Cougs!

• CHEAP
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:50 a.m.

The Mtn. is CHEAP! I have NEVER missed a Utah vs. BYU football game for as long as I can remember. I have either been lucky enough to attend in person, or at least watch it on TV. This year will be the first one I have missed in over 30 years, because I don't get the Mtn. where I live. So much for tradition. Let's go back to the WAC, Utah. This conference is a JOKE!!!

• What a let down!!!
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:45 a.m.

I was so excited about this game, until I found out it was on the Mtn. Now, I'll be watching something else. I guess I can monitor the score while I watch another game.

• Any other options?
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:42 a.m.

Is there any other option besides the Mtn? I can't get the Mtn. where I live! Is this game available as an internet broadcast? If so, where? Thanks, Craig Thompson for making this game easily accessible to football fans everywhere. You are doing a fabulous job. . . of making a joke out of this conference. Perhaps you should step down.

• Big games deserve BIG COVERAGE!
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:37 a.m.

What a contradiction--"BIG game." If this was such a "big game," then why is it on the Mtn?

• What HD?
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:33 a.m.

HD? This will not even come close to it. This will be the worst HD broadcast in sports history. It will only be HD by word, not by quality.

• Utefan
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:11 a.m.

Not only do people not get to watch this game in 90% of the country, but they typically don't get to see the highlights either due to the terrible signal quality. At least when Utah was on KJZZ, I was able to pick the games up in Washington, DC.

• To what end?
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:07 a.m.

Does anybody know how much longer we are contracted to the Mtn.?

Does anybody know how much longer we are contracted to Craig Thompson? He makes no apologies for what he's done -- and is still doing -- to our conference. The other day, he even remarked how it was calculated that only the Mtn. would air both the Holy and Border Wars. It's as if Craig is representing the network station rather than the MWC.

• Hey Mtn.
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:07 a.m.

Come on Mtn., PUT THIS GAME ON VERSUS OR CBS COLLEGE SPORTS!!! Please, D-News, get these comments to the big wigs and get this game on a channel that will get these teams some national exposure.

• AWESOME!
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:06 a.m.

This is AWESOME! Finally, the .mtn is in HD. That means that they are now using HD handycams instead of the SD handycams that they were using before. I wonder if it will make the college interns who serve as broadcasters sound any better.

• Small Minded
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:02 a.m.

Let's prevent these two great teams from getting the national exposure they deserve -- let's hide them in the Mtn network that ensures the fewest viewers. WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS!!! HOW MORONIC!!!

• WEST VIRGINIA BYU FAN
    Nov. 21, 2008 8:35 a.m.

I'm stuck with Dish Net. also. I'm a fan of the MWC as my home is in Colorado and like to watch all the mountain teams, football and basketball. I'm can't believe I won't be able to see this game and I blame the league for such a poor tv exposure.

• San Diego Ute Fan
    Nov. 21, 2008 8:35 a.m.

The only benefit of this TV deal is that the conference has control of when the games are played.

It has hurt the conference to have games hidden away in the anonymity of this pitiful network.

There are a lot of viewers nationwide who would have tuned in tomorrow, but will not have the chance.

Too bad that the Utes will stage a repeat of 2004 but it will go largely unseen. BIG step backward for us all when ESPN was eliminated.

• The mtn is a joke
    Nov. 21, 2008 8:26 a.m.

But for those of us who live outside of a Mountain West city, we're not complaining. And I don't get DirecTV in high-def anyway, so it won't be any different for me.

But a game like this should be on national TV. The mtn doesn't count.

• Jack
    Nov. 21, 2008 8:19 a.m.

A Cougar fan who drinks beer? Oh my heck!

Welcome to the club, Jack!.

• See ya next year!
    Nov. 21, 2008 8:06 a.m.

Both teams finished the season 6-0. Games 7-12 were relegated to the "ant hill network" which means they were not seen by enough people to count. Too bad, both teams could have had great seasons and been recognized nationally but did not play enough games to qualify for post-season bowls.

See ya next year?

• Mtn. is a joke
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:57 a.m.

The MWC introduced the Mtn. thinking it would get the conference the recognition it was seeking. Unfortunately, it has given them an even worse reputation. This channel is a complete joke. This game should be on ESPN 2 like the old days. I settle for Versus or CBS College Sports this year. Why was the game moved at the last minute last year, but NOT THIS YEAR? This channel has turned me against the MWC.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:53 a.m.

As big a game as this is. Its a shame it not a better network to showcase the teams.

• To: MWC
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:51 a.m.

Do you think that giving fans an HD offer is going to increase viewership? I have news for you: since we can't get the mountain in my area, I will be watching a real conference play football. Besides, I can't wait to hear how cheap your HD broadcast looks. Somebody will have to tell me since I won't be able to see it for myself.

• No defenition
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:45 a.m.

What good is HD when you still can't get this channel? This game is too big to stick it on the Mtn! This is just another example of how inept the Mountain West Conference is. No wonder the Nation doesn't respect this conference. Before everyone starts saying "quit complaining and get cable or directv," let me point something out. We live in an extremely rural area. Directv does not offer SL local packages here--I can only get them through Dish Network, so I am stuck with Dish and no chance to see this game. Thanks for nothing MWC!!!

• Jack
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:06 a.m.

I am not sure which is worse? 3.2 beer or the mountain network. They both sort of give you what you want when you are starving, but nothing you really want seconds of given the alternatives.
    Thankfully I will only be in Utah for 2 days and will get out of there riding high with a BYU win. When in Utah I will only drink the water, and properly celebrate a BYU win once I get home with some true beer. GO COUGS!

• Directv 616-1
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:06 a.m.

Can't wait to see fans reaction when things will not go right. Could it be that it will be 480i and not 1080p? The mtn may have purchased as use equipment from ESPN with low quaility HD camera. Sorry to say this, mtn network equipment quality will remain the same. Enjoy the game while the video quality will be SD.
    Go Cougars!!!!