Sports

BYU, Utah football: 'Cheap seats' going for $1,600 for big game

Comments

• Steven Roberts
    Nov. 22, 2008 11:31 a.m.

Hey regardless of price, I just want tickets. If you have any tickets you are not wanting, let me know. thisaccountis4junk@gmail.com.

--Steven Roberts (the one quoted in the article)

• $1,600...What?
    Nov. 21, 2008 2:09 p.m.

Nobody should spend more than $6 for those tickets. What do you think this is Alabama vs. Auburn?

• Wow Zach!
    Nov. 21, 2008 12:18 a.m.

you are one lucky guy to be born with seasons tickets so that you never had to buy a ticket to enjoy the wonderful "enviroment" or the "defence" of the university of utah like the rest of the state but you are also lucky because you will be right there with your silver spoon and your inherited season pass to see the BYU Cougars beat the university of utah

• THAT IS JUST STUPID!
    Nov. 20, 2008 9:54 p.m.

I don't care what it is for... 1600.00 for a 3 hour game is an insult. If anyone pays that, then are just plain DUMB!

• michael
    Nov. 20, 2008 4:34 p.m.

By Friday night the market will drop out the bottom on these tickets. There will be tickets for $50 as these prices are unattainable for the market.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 20, 2008 4:34 p.m.

to:"to Re: utes don't sell | 2:48 p.m. Nov. 20, 2008
    Your comment about hiding behind TCU's skirts was HILARIOUS! If memory serves, the hiding ended after we WON THE GAME against TCU, which is something your Kewgies failed to do, and quite miserably at that! GO UTES!!"

BYU - TCU, the greatest Utah game the utes never played.

Run your mouths when you can do the whole scoreboard thing.

• BYU alum, rooting for Utah
    Nov. 20, 2008 4:08 p.m.

I'm a BYU alum, rooting for Utah. I hope Bronco has a great fireside speech planned for Friday night, when he should be game-planning for a defense.

Hey Bronco - maybe you'll teach your defense not to cheap-shot when they're behind?

Lose with class...

• You mean
    Nov. 20, 2008 4:06 p.m.

after TCU lost (handed) the game to you. By the way have fun in Fort Worth next year.

• InSider
    Nov. 20, 2008 3:30 p.m.

CHeck out the Notre Dame boards. Speculation is that Whittingham will be living in Indiana soon. I'm NOT happy.

• to Re: utes don't sell
    Nov. 20, 2008 2:48 p.m.

• Re: Investment banker
    Nov. 20, 2008 2:27 p.m.

Our economy is obviously sound because of decisions made in your industry. With predictions like yours, no wonder everyone is afraid to invest. Utah 37 TDS 17

• Jimmy Mac corn and I don't care!
    Nov. 20, 2008 12:50 p.m.

"Your mom bought tickets to go to the college game."

Why you might ask? Because, "She goes to college."

-Napoleon Dynamight!!!

• To Army Coug
    Nov. 20, 2008 12:38 p.m.

and anybody else in his situation:

I've been in OK w/out TV for the last couple of months. The best solution I found was the ESPN gamebox while streaming KSL radio announcing. As far as I know, it's the best somebody can do to se the MTN games w/out DishNet.

• OC Surfer
    Nov. 20, 2008 12:14 p.m.

The reason for the high ticket prices, is that NO ONE pratically outside of Utah will be see the game on TV.

• Immoral
    Nov. 20, 2008 11:36 a.m.

So, if scalping is "immoral" as I've seen some say, then is it immoral for Albertson's to pay $1/gallon for milk and then charge me $3? It's the exact same thing.

• Re:Pretty Crazy
    Nov. 20, 2008 11:01 a.m.

BYU football fans have the same mentality as any other beer drinking loud mouth college football fan.I wish the church would pull the plug on BYU football but it probably makes too much money for the school.Tickets should be 3 dollars and all church members get in for free.As you can probably guess I'm not a football fan.

• BYU 46- ut 12
    Nov. 20, 2008 10:41 a.m.

How do you recognize the biggest Ute fan in the 5th grade?
    He is 18 years old.

Please-
    Do not allow the cheerleaders to munch on the Astro turf.
    It took weeks to patch it last year.

• Come to Stewart Stadium in Ogden
    Nov. 20, 2008 10:12 a.m.

and watch the Weber State Wildcats beat Eastern Washington. They have a perfect record in the Big Sky Conference! Forget about red and blue and start bleeding PURPLE!!!

• ute fans
    Nov. 19, 2008 11:22 p.m.

BYU 52 utah 17 :(

• Ute
    Nov. 19, 2008 11:08 p.m.

Utah 34
    BYU 31

GO UTES! #1

• re:Kewg Fans
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:42 p.m.

Bwa hahahahahahhahahahahahahaaha...

I can't believe that you just wrote that. I'm sorry, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You said ouch,

ha ha ha hahahahaha haha ha

Green Jello and carrots.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I so love 4 year old humor.

• Led Zeppelin
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:31 p.m.

This is sick! I cannot believe how pathetic sports has become. Even college is going way too far. Its all about money. I will save my money to see Led Zeppelin in concert if they go on tour instead.

• Kewg Fans.........
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:49 p.m.

For the last time, NO I won't trade my seats for green jello with carrots or any of your creative casseroles!

Actually, I wouldn't sell my four tickets, period. This is the third best home game on our schedule (behind Oregon State and TCU) and I'm looking forward to watching our Utes thump byu in person.

I'm looking forward to a repeat of 2004 when we not only beat little brother, but finished the year undefeated, and were invited to a BCS game, all on the same night.... OUCH!

See you on Saturday! GO UTES!!

• BOO HOO
    Nov. 19, 2008 6:03 p.m.

will be Utah as they come off the field after a huge loss!!

• money is tight
    Nov. 19, 2008 5:59 p.m.

I would pay 100 dollars to watch it on TV.

Where can I watch?

• re:Utes don't sell
    Nov. 19, 2008 4:32 p.m.

"It will be a sea of Red and/or Black for this game."

Or Yellow or green, or tan!!!

Or Taupe, or lavender, or Brown to hide you oh-oh's when BYU dismantles your defense with their offense.

Yea, a big sea of colors.

Colors, that's how Utah will win the game.

Colors.

Sea of.

Big.

Intiminating technicolor stadium.

A Rainbow.

Yea, that the ticket, a rainbow out. That way we can march from the stadium downtown to Rocky's gay pride parade.

Utah fans don't even know what color to wear (there should be a class on campus or something)..

I'll bet even the stupid bird mascot will wear the right color.

I have an excuse from Kyles past for you: "I can't believe we lost...Whaaaaahhh, sniff, whaaaah."

Bring the Kleenex. I knew TCU, TCU was a friend of mine, and you Utes are no TCU.

Greatest game in Utah history was played by TCU, with the Utes all tucked away in their feetsie jammies.

No more hiding behind TCU's skirts this year. Utah is going to have to come out on the field sometime. Your dreams will be dashed soon. Bring some beer to cry in.

• SCALPING
    Nov. 19, 2008 4:31 p.m.

The Utes are gonna scalp BYU. I think I invented that!!! Go Red Men.

• Utes Don't sell
    Nov. 19, 2008 3:55 p.m.

Utes are not selling their tickets to by-boohoo fans. It will be a sea of Red and/or Black for this game. So cuber/kittens go cry in the clausterphobia of your happy valley house and prepare your standard cry-baby excuses when the UTES do a remake of 2004 and send you packing to the streets in your bawl-baby blue knock-off (USU) colors.

Here are some excuses from your past:

"those big mean polynesians from Utah did the Huka while we were doing it (the huka which we copied from the New Zealand All Blacks team and a local High School and now call our tradition) And it through us off our game."

"Those refs are always against us and called penalties on us when we commited penalties" or "it was the refs fault".

"If we would've hit the field goals we would have won"

"all the red got in our eyes"

"I can't believe we lost...Whaaaaahhh, sniff, whaaaah." Ala John Beck.

Get Your Tissues Out Kitties and If You See Kay You B Y lose fans...say hi.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2008 3:35 p.m.

all the arrogant utah fans eh? haha why dont you look at how "arrogent" that comment was KOOGAR fan

• Chuck
    Nov. 19, 2008 3:27 p.m.

re:Anonymous | 2:55 p.m
    "Watching the Utes get punked is priceless."

And at their house, in front of all of the "more tolerant than thou", arrogant Utah fans, all dressed up like Uncle Rico with nowhere to go.

They have all predicted the game as a "W", which will make it that sweeter.

It's going to be a special one for sure.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2008 2:55 p.m.

Watching the Utes get punked is priceless.

• I have tickete
    Nov. 19, 2008 2:52 p.m.

BYU fan, wouldn't do it if I thought for a second that BYU would lose.

Cougars, by 14.

• SC Trojan Fan
    Nov. 19, 2008 2:42 p.m.

A fool and their money are soon parted!

• zack
    Nov. 19, 2008 2:31 p.m.

well ive been a utah fan my whole life, we've had season tickets my whole life and i can say it will be worth any amount of money you spend, whether the utes win of cougars win the game will be very exciting and fun to watch, my bets are on utah but i do have alot of respect for byu whose only loss came to tcu at tcu. i give utah the edge because of the enviroment at the stadium and because our defence is great, but i do expect byu to score at least 21 points. it will be another great game and even better if the utes win. go utes!

• Read, then proceed
    Nov. 19, 2008 2:19 p.m.

People, you need to refresh your reading comprehension skills, good grief. The writer quoted people laughing at the $1,600 price. Was it mentioned that anybody had or will buy tix for $1,600? No, only that somebody -- apparently "Too Funny!" who it sounds like did something fishy (putting tickets for sale that you don't own?) -- listed them at that price.

The actual numbers of the prices for average tickets sold on StubHub are in the article and that is almost $200 per ticket (or about 6 times what the cheapest ticket face value is).

Maybe you should read more than just the headlines next time before commenting.....

• Re: Who wrote this GARBAGE?
    Nov. 19, 2008 2:12 p.m.

Uh, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the article and notice a name at the top. That usually indicates who the writer is. You're welcome for the newspaper lesson.

• Too Funny!
    Nov. 19, 2008 1:57 p.m.

Too Funny!
    I love how journalist write an article about the economy, politics, or even ticket scalping and they don't realize THEY don't get it, and those who have any common sense look right through what is really going on. Maybe when you report average sales prices and there is a huge outlier, maybe the editor figures out something isn't right. Going for 1,600 and actually selling for 1,600 are two different stories. It would be one thing if several nosebleeds were at that price, let alone if average sales were going close to that number.

The real answer on the 1,600 tickets (since I'm the one who posted them on Stubhub) is if your a seller on Stubhub, you have access to information on what tickets are actually being sold for, so I listed tickets I don't own for such a high price that I wouldn't have to worry about actually selling them, never imagining someone reporting on listings on Stubhub. I could not stop laughing this morning when I saw the D-News sports front page article.

• RE:Tickets
    Nov. 19, 2008 1:51 p.m.

I have 2 tickets -- Section S04 ( South End Zone )row 11 -- seats 25-26 -- Close to the action when the ball is moving south. Let me know if you are really interested. $300 a seat

• Tickets
    Nov. 19, 2008 1:29 p.m.

I need two tickets for the game. I am willing to pay a grand per ticket if they are premium seats. let me know if anyone has two of them together.

• 12-0
    Nov. 19, 2008 1:17 p.m.

Oh it's great to know former U football players from the 2004 perfect team. I'm good friends with Steve Savoy and Paris Warren and Martell Burnett to name a few. Savoy (who is going to be playing for the Blaze this coming season) has got me some good tickets for free. Lucky guy gets to be on the sidelines, but at least I'll be getting into the stadium without having to donate my live savings. It's going to be a great game until halftime when the Utes are embarrasing the Kewgs like the '04 game(52-21). My prediction: Utah 35 BYU 14

• Definition of Loser
    Nov. 19, 2008 1:09 p.m.

One who purchases a ticket to anything for $1,600.

• Not Worth It
    Nov. 19, 2008 1:03 p.m.

Anybody who thinks this game is really worth $1600. I don't care if your a BYU or Utah fan. Anybody who pays that price in mentally unstable and is a pure example of what's wrong with today's society.

• 1600
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:56 p.m.

FOR THAT AMOUNT I'M GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL , I WANT THE PROS NOT AMATEURS...GOING TO BE A DUD ANYWAYS!! no wonder these guys get in trouble all the time...paid a king's ransom for playing a child's game.

• Money well spent . .
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:50 p.m.

if you are a Ute. Zoobies are wasting their money to be publically humiliated again. Only two loses for the season, but both will have been nasty blow-outs.

Utah by 21

• Getting in Free
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:34 p.m.

If you wait until the 4th quarter, it's easy to get in free; no ticket-takers watching the turnstiles.

• No wishfull thinking needed
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:14 p.m.

I've had my tickets since June and will be in the stadium enjoying the kickoff while wishful thinkers are wistfully rethinking their failed plans for getting into the game... cheap.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:06 p.m.

Ah yes, glad to see the impending depression has brought sports fans back to reality!

• Sleepover
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:05 p.m.

Getting in for free. Or maybe ill hide in the bathroom after the high school finals and spend the night there.

• Sad Tv
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:04 p.m.

Worse than $1600 tickets is that sad MTN tv network. The MWC is foolish having that setup. Imagine all of the fans in the country that are going to miss a great rivalry, two good football teams, regardless of which team you like, Conference championship on the line, BCS bowl on the line, an almost guaranteed close game to the end. What is really on the line here is the fact that the MWC will still perceived as a second rate conference because the MWC doesn't know how to market their product. If this was Michigan vs Ohio State or Nebraska vs Oklahoma for a conference championship, a $1600 scalped ticket would be a cheap seat.

• Re: Wishful Thinking
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:02 p.m.

I got into the 2006 game for free, the Game 6 of the 1998 finals for $25(facevalue), Yankees/Redsox game 7 for $50 bucks. When people are greedy they get stuck with tickets and end up selling them for really cheap once they hear the kickoff. I haven't paid more than $5 bucks to get into any of BYU's "soldout" games this year.
    Buy you 1600 dollar tickets and ill buy a big screen adn go to the game with better tickets for 1600
    Go to stub

• Re: Who wrote this GARBAGE?
    Nov. 19, 2008 11:39 a.m.

Good luck! See the note about the legal implications of scalping in Utah at "Wash Cougar and others."

• Wishful Thinking
    Nov. 19, 2008 11:22 a.m.

"I'm just gonna buy mine from a scalper right before kickoff for face value."

Good luck!

but, be sure to bring lots of "extra" cash to pay for those "face value" tickets, or you'll go hungry at the game.

• re: Wash Cougar and others
    Nov. 19, 2008 11:13 a.m.

Sorry, but if you are real fan, the worst seat in the house is better than watching a game on TV and to GCF, in Utah, scalping is legal as long as it isn't on stadium property.

• Who wrote this GARBAGE?
    Nov. 19, 2008 11:05 a.m.

Tickets are struggling to sell for $125 let alone $1600. Prices have gone down everyday and I'm just gonna buy mine from a scalper right before kickoff for face value. Ticket sellers think they have tickets to the superbowl or something.

• Premier Tickets
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:46 a.m.

Thats funny I have been a local ticket broker
    for years, its funny when the newspaper writes
    that Tickets are going for 1600.00 per ticket.
    And I am having a hard time getting 350.00 a ticket
    for the very best chair Seats, and even getting 150.00 for the worst seats. It just shows do not
    believe what you read in the newspaper

• Washington Cougar
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:44 a.m.

Lets see, I get to watch the game in HD in my family room, with unlimited popcorn, apple cider, diet coke, some taco salad, it will be warm and my daugther and wife could care less, so they will not be there, and I can wear sweats and t-shirt and just be bum, All that for Direct TV Mountian Conference.. all the games for what $125.00 I do not get it. Buy a new flat screen and help our ecomony.

• To: LES north
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:40 a.m.

Come on, tell us how you really feel.

• to: Democratic Ute Only
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:36 a.m.

Please find another blog to spew your political hate; this is a BYU/Utah football rivalry sports blog.

We'll see how the Utes handle BYU busting your BCS dreams. Will you take it like real men and give the Cougars credit for a great win, or will you whine and blame the loss on officiating and injuries?

• go utes
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:30 a.m.

Go UTES!

• Typical Embarassing Ute
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:05 a.m.

re:"Democratic Ute Fan | 9:01 a.m. Nov. 19, 2008
    Typical BYU Fans, Can't handle the Utes busting your BCS dreams just like Obama busted the republican dream. Face it, BYU, like Bush had their time in the sun and blew it!! Go Utes!!!! The Utes will do to BYU what Bush did to our economy- Destroy em. PS Eugene... Can't you stand up for what you believe in. Go to the game and wear your blue like a MAN!! Are you scared??"

Another Utah Fan that has never set a foot in a classroom. What a waste of a mind. How do you go about hitting the "Add your comment" when your mind works like it does.

• George Q Cannon
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:03 a.m.

In 1895, when Missouri beat Nebraska by 11 points, the field pieces were fired once for every point scored after the game. That 1895 celebration-by-cannon was not only a first for MIZZOU, it was a national first as well. For Missouri fans, nothing says touchdown like the boom of a cannon in Memorial Stadium.

So much for copying "Utah's" tradition of firing a cannon for football scores.

• LES North
    Nov. 19, 2008 10:00 a.m.

You guys ought to schedule BYU every week to avoid your normally half full stadium.

To the buffoon who says this game is overhyped and the ostrich who says this game never lives up to its hype...where have you two been the past 2 years???

Tell me Ute fans, and be honest here, how many of you can say you're not deathly worried in the depth of your soul, that BYU will be able to pull off some last second miracle where Collie is wide open in the end zone as the clock expires (aka Harline), or Pitta barrels over your vaunted defense for a last second score, or something else breaks down and you have ANOTHER monumental gaffe on a 4th and 18?

Just what I thought, not many of you. This could turn out to be the best of the 3 considering BYU can shut a bunch of running BCS mouths with another afternoon of good football. And after the way you've derided BYU football since they stepped in doodoo against TCU it will be such a joy to watch Kyle's tear back again.

• Mr. Harmon
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:56 a.m.

The Utes remind me of filthy lucre.

• X-Pat football fan
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:49 a.m.

Obama's eight team playoff would still be the same as the BCS, except that any of the eight teams making it to the playoffs would have a shot at the NC.
    So let's say Utah loses to BYU on Saturday, neither BYU nor Utah would likely be invited to the BCS or the OPS (Obama Playoff Series). Boise would most likely get the nod and the Y and U the snub.

However, if Utah wins, they will probably get a BCS invite, and with the OPS they would have a chance to fight their way to the NC.

This just proves once again that the MWC needs to get itself straightened away and force themselves into the position where they can be one of the conferences with an automatic invite. After all, the OPS will just be the BCS with a twist.

So, now that college football has become a political issue, write your congressman and insist that the NCAA change its rules.

• E.S. Blofeld
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:46 a.m.

re: investment banker | 9:12 a.m. Nov. 19, 2008

Hey Gordon Gekko. Stick to being greedy and arrogant when it comes to other peoples money.

Besides, don't you and Dr No have tee time Saturday @ 3:45?

• OVER HYPED
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:42 a.m.

this game is sooooo over hyped. Paying $1600 for a seat? To a college game? To watch 18 year old kids play? Please!!! Utah is a better team that BYU this year and will win by 10 anyway.

• Pop
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:35 a.m.

I played for BYU a long time ago and have a degree from Utah. I root for both school, but Saturday it will be for Utah who I feel has the most to lose. BTW, I wouldn't pay even $1 for a seat since the best seat in the house is in front of my big screen TV.

• jack
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:34 a.m.

BYU 45, Utes 35. About the ticket price...students go to school to learn how to get ahead in life. So, first thing to do is to see how far his $ can go using is Math 101 knowledge. And please this is not a moral issue, it is a civil issue...75% of the world population do not know what is moral issues any more. Ask the opposition on Prop 8!!!

• Worth it
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:27 a.m.

Game has never lived up to the hype? Seriously.... That seems like a comment from a jilted Ute fan.

• KSL Classifieds
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:24 a.m.

Look at KSL classifieds. Most tickets are going between $150 and $300 range. However, look at how many are sold. The majority are not being sold. Please don't buy them, so these greedy people are stuck with tickets they can't sell. Considering a weak economy, most people are asking way too much for these tickets.

• Re:TV adding CSTV & Versus?
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:21 a.m.

Yes, PLEASE expand the coverage so that this game is available to more people! This game has national implications, so it should be more available nationally. I'm not about to switch to directv just for the sake of one game.

• Smarter Cougars
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:21 a.m.

Knowing how big this game was going to be, many BYU fans bought Utah season tickets this year just to ensure that they would have tickets to watch BYU magic happen again in RES on November 22nd.

BYU 38 (5 TDs, 1 FG)
    Utah 19 (4 FGs, 1 TD)

• BYU coped Utes on this..
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:15 a.m.

Another ritual that BYU copied from the Utes is the cannon after each score. Thunder Ute (the Ute cannon) has been firing since the fifties. BYU has copied the cannon for years. But then, Utah is the "original" BYU if you go back a lot of years.

• Great "Reasons" post
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:13 a.m.

The person who posted the "Reasons for the $1600 seats" got it right on. As a Utah fan I attended the BYU vs. San Diego State game. Some of the rituals that are mentioned in his post actually happened time after time. Such as "That's another Cougar....first down!" ad nauseum over the loud speakers after every first down. Or the Cougar growling over the speakers and everyone cheering. Give me a break. Utes will blow BYU away this Saturday.

• investment banker
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:12 a.m.

I will not pay more than $1500.00 for a ticket to see

BYU 35

defeat

Utah 12.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:12 a.m.

This is a total misleading article. Just because someone on stubhub has them LISTED at $1600 each doesn't mean they are "going" for $1600. Go to Craigslist... you can find a pair for $300 or less EASILY! If you catch the right adds you can find a pair for $200 or less.

• Not Worth It
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:07 a.m.

This game is purely overrated. Games this hyped never live up to their expectations. $1600 game buy things a whole lot better and longer lasting that a stupid football game.

• Democratic Ute Fan
    Nov. 19, 2008 9:01 a.m.

• For Cougar fans only
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:50 a.m.

I think the $1,600 seats are being reserved for BYU fans only. They really want to see their team lose this one in person. Utah 34 BYU 17

• Smart Ute
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:49 a.m.

I just bought face value season tickets and was able to see Oregon State, TCU and now BYU. The BYU game will obviously be worth the purchase of all the other games...but I got to see some sweet wins on the road to this one. Go Utes!

• Plainly it's Utah Fans...
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:48 a.m.

...buying this tickets. Perhaps 2 BYU fans in the world could scrape together $1600.

• Reason for the $1600 seats
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:32 a.m.

I have it on good authority why certain seats for the big game cost $1,600 each:

1. They are for BYU Cougar Club fans only.
    2. Speakers built into the seats play "There's another Cougar....." everytime BYU gets a first down - so that the person sitting in the seat can say "first down" after it plays.
    3. The same speakers play "Rise & Shout" after every score (and also play the sound of a cougar growling about 100 times during the game.
    4. Taped to the underside of each seat is a 20% off coupon for a BYU hat or sweater.
    5. The occupants of the $1600 seats automatically have unlimited hot dogs delivered to their seats only limited by the size of their BYU sweatshirts expandability.
    6. Same speakers broadcast KSL radio for play-by-play coverage to clarify for the BYU fan what's really happening on the field. (These types of fans usually miss the action because they are too busy singing the fight song or giving a dirty look to the Ute fans.)

I think that about covers it.

• Joe Moe
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:18 a.m.

This is the kind of wealth redistribution I can handle. Money going from the ones that have way too much on their hands, to those who could use it more. And then they ticker sellers can just watch it from home anyway.

Sure beats Obama's plans of forced redistribution!

• San Diego Ute Fan
    Nov. 19, 2008 8:17 a.m.

For those of you who have never experienced a Utah BYU game from the stands: You have to be there to fully appreciate the experience. Period.

I flew up to SLC for the 2004 edition. Went with my Dad. It was one of the most memorable and fun days of my life. The photo on my wall of us in the stands brings a smile any time I look at it.

To go and experience the game in person is easily worth the couple of hundred bucks it will set you back. As Ferris Bueller said it, (regarding the Ferrari) "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

If you're on the fence on this one, JUST DO IT!

GO UTES! Utah 24 BYU 10

• PDK
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:51 a.m.

Utah's stadium is much smaller than BYU's, thus driving up the price since there are fewer tickets available.

• TV adding CSTV & Versus?
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:45 a.m.

Last year, TV coverage was expanded last minute from The Mtn, to also Versus and CSTV. Any word on that happening again?

• Anonymous
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:43 a.m.

This is one of those times to step back from our super fan-dom, see what people are charging for these seats, and think, "You know, there's more than likely a more worthwhile use for my $1600."
    You could buy yourself a big screen 1080p LCD screen, DirectTV service installed in 4 rooms, and lunch for everyone who's over watching the game.

Calling the final score:

BYU 24
    Utah 17

• Dapper2k
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:21 a.m.

Coming from an East Coast Utah fan who can't stand the TV coverage or lack there of. Biggest game of the year and its on the Mnt.

You can listen to the Utes station online KALL 700 www.KALL700sports.com.

I wouldn't be able to watch it on TV so I'm flying in for the game! Got my duckets and will be there on Saturday.

GO UTES!

• RE: Army Coug
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:10 a.m.

You can get the MTN anywhere in the US now. Get DirecTV or Comcast. I am in IL and I get EVERY BYU game on the MTN, Versus, CBS C, etc.

Channel 616 on DirecTV. No complaints. Buy the station if you really want to watch.

• An Annual Rite
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:09 a.m.

It's not just a game, it's an event!

We've been going to BYU/Utah football games for years. It doesn't matter how good the teams are; whether one or both or neither are ranked; whether there's a conference championship or BCS bid on the line or not; it's simply a fun game.

Sitting at home on the couch is okay, but there's nothing quite like sitting in the middle of the Crimson Club, dressed in BYU blue, and having the crowd all around you go instantly silent, except for our small group, when Harline catches Beck's pass on his knees in the end zone.

We usually buy our away tickets from scalpers. In 2006, we bought 6 tickets for an average of $45 each. This year, we knew this game was going to be huge, so we bought our tickets in June.

• GCF
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:08 a.m.

I thought scalping was illegal...if not, at least its immoral...but then...consider those for whom it is okay...they do not generally care about what is moral (or humane, if your please)...and if that is not enough, the universities are already pricing a lot of "real folk" out of seating...if I decide to watch it, it will be on TV!!!

• Mtn on DirecTV
    Nov. 19, 2008 7:03 a.m.

Army Coug: mtn is on Direc TV, which is included in their basic package if you live in DFW.

• Army Coug
    Nov. 19, 2008 6:38 a.m.

IQm stuck in TX so I can`t even get the mtn. To watch this, anyone know if it`s over the net?

• Misleading Headline
    Nov. 19, 2008 6:23 a.m.

Just because a few jokers put their cheap seat tickets up for sale for $1600 doesn't mean anyone would pay that amount. There are also tickets on stub hub for under $100 available and the average price appears to be about double the face value. You're not going to get rich buying four seats for $60 and selling them for $120. Lame article.

• Skippy
    Nov. 19, 2008 6:18 a.m.

It is all about the money $$$$

• Caracticus
    Nov. 19, 2008 5:48 a.m.

It's known as a free market. Things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them--no one is forced to do so. It's easy to be critical of someone who chooses to spend his money in a way we would not; but if some person at a subsistence level looked at how we spend our money, he would find plenty to criticize in all of us.

• Eugene
    Nov. 19, 2008 5:24 a.m.

I am a diehard Cougar fan and would love to see them play in person, but why pay that much to see any team play?

TV coverage has replays, soft seats and I'm near my refrigerator and bathroom. Going to this game will have some (not all) Ute fans either gloating arrogantly if they win or making me feel threatened for my safety if they lose. I'd have to wear red and cheer for the Cougs quietly under my breath to enjoy this game and escape with by blueness in tact.

In reality, this is only a game. Why overblow it? Do I want the Cougars to win? Sure! Does it change the world for the better. No! Only Obama says he can do that and he can if he can force the play-off system on the BCS which he says he is going to do. Then, you've really got something as far as changing the world for the better!!

Go Cougs!!

• CougarKeith
    Nov. 19, 2008 3:20 a.m.

Sure, this year there going for that much, when it's not at Lavell Edwards when if I had season tickets like last year I could sell them and buy season tickets for the next 20 years with the profits! Figures!!!

• Spencer
    Nov. 19, 2008 2:16 a.m.

$133.24 will buy you one (1) overpriced textbook these days. Period. End of story. When did you go to college anyway, Mr. Genessy? ;-)

This will be a sweet game...I hope!

BTW, I'm going into college textbook publishing. I should make a killing that way. Maybe I could retire in a decade or less. :p

• Pretty crazy
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:41 a.m.

People are spending more on a football game than some people earn in a year. $1600 could feed a family of 4 for a year in some places of the world. Society is completely mixed up in where it places it's values. Sports is truly becoming the God of many.....

• Trade
    Nov. 19, 2008 12:39 a.m.

I would trade my tickets (if I had them) and get my Directv Permium service for two years for the same price and see all my games on the VS, MTN, C-CBS and many more. Why would BYU fans would go to this filty Rice Bowl! Go COUGARS!