Sports

BYU, Utah football: Blood is thicker than water

Lifelong Cougar fan changing his colors this week

Comments

• Anonymous
    April 29, 2009 8:00 a.m.

go utes!

• Folau Sr.
    Dec. 10, 2008 6:46 p.m.

Dec. 10th, 2008.

Congratulations Tom.

We will watch Utes on Jan 2nd @ 5:00pm at the Sugar Bowl on Channel 11. Here we come New Orleans! Hopefully the weather will calm down. Hope to see your son, Kalani the Coach walking around there just as he did while they played against San Diego State last month, giving our son all the encouragement he needed while he played.

We will look forward to seeing our son Junior too "96" wearing red but probably sitting on the bench, or on the sidelines! If Utah performs as well as before, hopefully they will win over Alabama. You must be proud, or we would rather say a very well-pleased father.

You have raised up great sons that your parents, grandparents and greatgrandparents must be also be very proud of. Just happens to check my cousin's funeral pictures on planet-tonga, Tisi Naufahu, and we spotted your name on the side.

We send our love and best wishes on the Next Big Game.

Folau and Tolini from LA

• football fan
    Nov. 21, 2008 10:39 p.m.

Cant wait for the real big game on Saturday...............Texas Tech versus Oklahoma....GO BIG RED....RED and BLACK that is Red Raider nation....sorry folks just keeping it real as far as the real big games...but if I was to pick out of BYU and Utah, no doubt.......Utah..too strong for BYU...just keeping it real

• Hela Pela
    Nov. 21, 2008 9:00 p.m.

As we say....family first!! Good on you.

• Kalia
    Nov. 21, 2008 3:17 p.m.

It's is not about UTAH or BYU; TJ or KALANI, RED or BLUE, it's about who will represent our home (STATE OF UTAH)to the next level. I pick Ute to win. It will bring better cash to the conference. I hope that the Y is humble and effective to be a winner. The FANS be FIRM & FRIENDLY. May the best team win and may the loser respected and rejoice in the game well played.

• rdha
    Nov. 21, 2008 7:02 a.m.

As much as the BYU/Utah rivalry is important to a lot of people, ( I'm one of them, GO COUGARS!! ) after all is said and done, family relationships and friendship will still go on and that's more important than any sports rivalry. My dad's a Ute fan but we don't knock heads over our teams because it's all good no matter who we are cheering for. I live in Provo but we have some awesome neighbors who are Ute fans too but ain't nothin' wrong with that either. It'll be an awesome game tomorrow. It's cool that charitable causes are involved with this rivalry.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 20, 2008 11:52 p.m.

Love this guy! Go Tom and Sitake Family. Love you all!

• and
    Nov. 19, 2008 4:56 a.m.

This is the best story I've seen printed in years regarding any aspect of the Utah BYU rivalry.
    Family First, This is just a game,
    but still the same, you have to cheer for someone.

Go Mr. Red!!

• how it will play out
    Nov. 18, 2008 10:29 p.m.

BYU will be up by 3 TDs with 1 minute to go in the game. Then Bronco will have his players stand around and fumble away the ball so utah can score 3 uncontested TDs and a 2 point conversion to win it by 1 point so that they can go to a BCS bowl and get the tar beat out of them by a legitimate top 10 team and we'll get a share of their BCS money.

• Keelhaul Him!
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:57 p.m.

A man who had not one but TWO sons play for BYU and now he pulls for Utah just because his son is the lienbacker coach?

How weak of an argument is that?!

Keelhaul him!

Or, at least increase his tithing to 20%. : - )

• Go BYU
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:55 p.m.

I will always be a BYU fan as well, but if my son ever goes to the U and plays on their football team, my loyalty will change in an instant. I totally understand where Tom Sitake is coming from.

I still don't like the color red though.

• Red looks good on him!
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:45 p.m.

He looks great in red! I bet it will grow on him!

• re: Anonymous
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:44 p.m.

To the anonymous disrespecting the Utes, not the one that gave decent comments on the article: You're one of the fans that will make Utah beating BYU so much fun! By the way, you've only had a couple games that you've won in the last two years. 2003-2005 weren't good years for the Y, and 2008 is going to be added to the list. By the way, no BYU player will be open this year!

• Face the Facts
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:32 p.m.

Even if Utah wins this one they will have to play a real team in a BCS game. Unlike the High School they played in 04. Utah will get blown off the field by an OU, Penn State, Texas Tech, Texas, Alabama, or Florida.

• UteFan
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:27 p.m.

It's easy after reading the comments from BYU fans what this comes down to...

It's an undefeated thing and you Cougars wouldn't understand.

BYU has no business being in a BCS bowl after getting shellacked by TCU. It all comes down to BYU's BCS envy of Utah. It is going to be classic for Utah to have appeared twice in the BCS and BYU to have never made it. Keep dreaming Zoobs...

• Re: Inside Source
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:39 p.m.

The problem is the big 12 champion. How do you shun someone from that conference out of the NC? Especially if Texas Tech runs the table. Do you really think an undefeated Utah would go to the NC over an undefeated Texas Tech or a one-loss Florida?

Everyone knows the SEC and the Big XII have reservations for the title game this year.

I can appreciate a cinderella, but until a playoff, it's not going to happen unless some very good teams lose.

• The Heart of It
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:17 p.m.

Actually, the heart of the Rivalry is that in the past years of 3 generations, Utah has come up as the big losers. OK, OK, so for the past one generation it is 10/10...but face it, the Utes were dominated during the 70's 80's and better part of the 90's. Any win, any day for the Utes over BYU makes their season. The heart of the truth is that it is just another game for the Cougars. Oh yea, there is the proximity of campuses and the community rivalry, but for the most part, the players at the Y take it as another game. The Utes could be 1-10 coming into this game and if they won, it would be a winning season, Whit would keep his job for another year and the Alumni would stay off their neighbors computers asking for Whit's job.

The heart of it is that the Utes have a better defense. The heart of it is that the Utes have a better secondary. The heart of it is that the Cougars have a better offense and a better quarterback.

The heart of it is, the Utes don't have the heart to win this game.

• bakerb
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:05 p.m.

Utes Rock, and Friends,

You can rant all you want, but just like ALL of us HONEST Cougar Fans, you are VERY nervous about the outcome of this game. It is HUGE for BOTH Teams!

Also, though unlikely, there IS a scenario in which BYU will be selected to play in a BCS Bowl. It is this simple: BYU beats UTAH (this is an honest toss-up), BSU loses to UNR (in Reno) or Fresno State (in Boise). Both UNR and FSU are at 6-4 and have beaten some decent teams. Ball State is already behind BYU in BCS Poll, so they are irrelevant (they still face two 8-2 teams).

The most important part of the equation: the winner of THE HOLY WAR!

Good luck to both BYU and UTAH!

• AZ Red/Blue Fan
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:02 p.m.

Grew up Red. Went to all the U games. Went to East High & worked at the U of U Hospital for years. Played golf many many times at the U. You name it I was Red. I then decided to go to the Y and I became Blue with Red trim. I am a U fan all but one day. I think you can be a fan of both especially when they are doing well. What a great year. Would we want it any other way?

For all of you out there on BOTH sides.

1) It is not a sin to route for the U
    2) You are not self righteous to route for the Y
    Hello - Both are just football teams.

I wish both sides would grow up. Rivalry yes, Idiots no.

I won many pizzas in the late 70s from my U buds on the outcome of the game. Sat next to the band and feared for my life from the not so sober frat boys.

May both teams play their best and then may the best team win. And whoever does win let's congratulate them and practice sportsmanship on both sides. Here too

• Pipe Dream
    Nov. 18, 2008 7:14 p.m.

He is rooting for the Utes, because he doesn't want to have to answer to his boy. Only a fool would take the Cougs on this one.

• Utes Rock
    Nov. 18, 2008 6:33 p.m.

There is an article over at yahoosports about BCS possibilities, and BYU isn't even mentioned. Utah is mentioned several times, in several different scenarios. Enough said. BYU fans need to quit hoping they have a shot at BCU, or at beating the Utes, it ain't gonna happen. I'm not predicting a score, only a win. For (UNBEATEN) Utah.

• BO BIG BLUE
    Nov. 18, 2008 6:29 p.m.

This weekend is going to be EPIC.... Its gonna be a true blue weekend as far as i can see... Bingham high school takes state and BYU wins the big rivalry........ TRUE BLUE.... GO COUGARS!!!!

• He is Right!
    Nov. 18, 2008 6:26 p.m.

The FABS make this rivalry stupid, not the players of coaches. My goodness! Former UTAH and UTAH STATE players built BYU and then BYU began sending it's greatest former assistants and players into the coaching ranks including Kyle Wittingham and Sitake. I didn't come from here. I can't stand the bitterness and ignorance that surrounds this rivalry from both sides. I love both schools for different ACADEMIC reasons. Both are great institutions. Friendly banter is one thing. Having fun with the rivalry is one thing. I thought it was hilarious that Urban Meyer threw URINAL CAKES with a "Y" on them in the Ute Toto. I'm a Cougar. My wife is a Ute. We love and root for both schools and the winner has to cook Sunday dinner. What's the big deal...it's a grame, a great one at that. This year we are being treated to one of the best matchups in history. It doesn't get better than that. Winner may get a BCS Bowl Birth....It's what we all hoped for. Go Nevada and Fresno State....Beat Boysenberry State and lets have fun! UTAH by 5.....Don't tell my wife I am hoping for BYU by 6 (wink). I'll even cook!

• Matthias
    Nov. 18, 2008 5:40 p.m.

They should Broadcast it to Germany....

• AK Cougar
    Nov. 18, 2008 5:28 p.m.

Great article about the coaches and family loyalties. I wish I could meet them and feel of the love he has for his family.

Saturday will be a wonderful game that will likely go to the wire. BYU by 3, 24 -21.

• Matthias
    Nov. 18, 2008 5:24 p.m.

Go Cougars from a German Fan, I 'll be following on the net!

• FL UTE
    Nov. 18, 2008 5:22 p.m.

Harmon,

Thanks for a great story, (to balance out the lousy other one you wrote about U fans being the meanies in the rivalry).

My family while I was growing up was split UTE/BYU, and I have lots of friends on both sides. I am totally RED, and a little nervous of the Y passing attack. GO UTES, GO Sitake!

• Wow
    Nov. 18, 2008 5:20 p.m.

Utah versus Florida. Amazing to think about. Only thing that needs to happen is Utah must beat BYU and Florida must beat Alabama. I think it would be a great thing. What politics are in play behind the scenes? If Utah played would there be a bigger push for an NCAA football Championship playoff system? I am sure there are some big entities pushing one way or the other. What about Texas Tech if they are undefeated? Don't they get the same respect? Could be a big shake-up one way or another and those behind the scenes may want it that way.

• re: re: Inside Source
    Nov. 18, 2008 4:42 p.m.

You can disparage as much as you want. I have the facts.

FOX *DOES* have control. They own exclusive TV rights which means they carry a LOT of weight. Utah is very attractive to them because of the "Cinderella" aspect. The driver behind the discussion is that the past 2 years have been dreadful ratings for the BCS title game (TV ratings of 17.4) compared to previous ratings (in the mid 20s). They want to inject new life into the BCS ... and thus the push for Utah in the title game.

• Anonymous
    Nov. 18, 2008 4:09 p.m.

This is to all you BYU fans out there, you need to stop running your mouths. Because you know what it dosen't matter how much you trash talk it's not up to you it's up to the players. Now i'm not saying that BYU dosen't have a good player or maby two but lets face it UTAH will win this one.
    GO UTES!!!!!!

• re: Inside Source
    Nov. 18, 2008 4:06 p.m.

Better check your sources

Utah's chances of playing in the BCS title game are about 1 in a million and FOX Sports has absolutely NO CONTROL over who finishes in the top 2 BCS spots, which is the only criteria for playing in the BCS championship game.

Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, USC, and Penn State would all have to suffer another loss for Utah to meet the Alabama/Florida winner in the BCS NC game.

BYU has a much better chance of playing in a BCS game than Utah does of playing in the NC game.

BYU only needs to beat Utah and have Boise State lose to Nevada or Fresno State to clinch a BCS bid.

• Already trumped
    Nov. 18, 2008 3:27 p.m.

Sorry, your erroneous 37-17 score has already been trumped, but, just for the record

BYU 38 (5 TDs, 1 FG)
    JUG 19 (1 TD, 4 FGs)

JUG = the Jolly Utah Gang as in

"I am a Utah Man, sir, and I live across the green,
    Our gang it is the jolliest that you have ever seen."

• Inside Source
    Nov. 18, 2008 3:18 p.m.

My father's ex-business partner, who I know personally and spoke with about this, is an executive at FOX Sports in the College Football division that manages the relationship with the BCS.

He confirmed that they have discussed at length that if Utah wins on Saturday, they will put them in the BCS title game versus either Alabama or Florida (depending on who wins between them on Dec6).

How awesome will it be if Utah wins the national title!!

• The Sitake's
    Nov. 18, 2008 3:17 p.m.

Are classy people who love their family and the game of football, but don't confuse a game with what is really important, supporting their own. Kalani is a super coach and BYU failed miserably when they didn't hire him, he adds more than just coaching ability, he recruits well and will definitely be a force from the sideline for many years to come. Go Kalani, keep up the great work and good luck on Saturday!!!

• re:The real score
    Nov. 18, 2008 3:10 p.m.

I realize the word retarded is not PC however, we should make an exception in your case. Utah 37 TDS 17.

• Louie meets Max
    Nov. 18, 2008 2:57 p.m.

BYU 35 (5 TDs)
    Utah 15 (5 FGs)

• Go Cougs!
    Nov. 18, 2008 2:51 p.m.

Utah has yet to face an offense as potent at BYU's. Hopefully BYU learned from the mistakes they made at TCU. This should be a hard fought game...

BYU 34
    Utah 27

• Zoobie
    Nov. 18, 2008 2:25 p.m.

Zoobie zoobie zoo...

• wow
    Nov. 18, 2008 2:23 p.m.

Slow news day, huh? I'm sure that in his heart of hearts he won't be sad when the COUGARS win.

• Dave from Washington
    Nov. 18, 2008 2:19 p.m.

I LOVE BYU but this game is relegated to a high school playoff because NO ONE CAN SEE IT! Dump the Mtn. network or let Comcast distribute it for free. I can't wait to HEAR about the biggest game in the history of the Mountain West conference that 99% of the country can't see even if they searched for it.

• re: Conejo
    Nov. 18, 2008 2:17 p.m.

Another BYU fan here. The Collie and Harline jokes were old the day after the games were over.

The passion of the rivalry shouldn't preclude the fans of their intellect; either small or large.

• Realistic BYU MTN WEST FAN
    Nov. 18, 2008 1:54 p.m.

I have to say based on some of the comments made some Byu fans have no class, Saturday will be a great time for BYU to show what they are made of, are they starting to peak or were they really not that good to begin with, Utah also has to answer some questions about their offence that has struggeled, I've questioned BYU's heart and last week they showed how good they can be but can they build on that or will they let us down. Utah clearly has the pressure on them with so much on the line with the BCS and all, we will see if they crack under pressue espically if BYU comes to play.
    All in All it will be a great game Go Cougers but I would like to see a Utah/ Mtn West team in A BCS game.

• How I Love the MNT
    Nov. 18, 2008 1:42 p.m.

NOT.

• Eagle Tail Speaks
    Nov. 18, 2008 1:40 p.m.

Do you really feel there is no pressure on the Cougars. They are loosie goosie. I think the outcome definately means some thing. They want to win. They want a good BCS ranking to end the year, in preparation for next year's win. They want They want a share of the MWC title. They do not want Utah to defeat them nor do they want Utah to end the regular season on a loss for them.

Both teams are pretty equal, both with fine records. I disagree with Cranky Coug at 9:46 AM.
    BYU feels some big time pressure. If they got heart this ain't a no pressure game for them.

• old timer
    Nov. 18, 2008 1:38 p.m.

I graduated from BYU in 1948 and then attended U of Utah for three years. At that time BYU had won the big game only once. That was 1942. The war was on and after that game inter-collegiate sports were cancelled for the duration of the war.

At post-war BYU emotions for the big game were high, even "rabid". Then at Utah I found the students cared less. BYU was just another game, a joke and a patsy on their schedule.

BYU's second win was in 1958. I saw this slugfest which had many injuries including broken bones.

Today, of course, emotions at both schools are high for the game. The rivalry is great and now days BYU has a chance to win.

There may be a few living members of BYU's 1942 team, the first to beat Utah. Why not find them and recognize them? Why not check out the 1958 team as well?

• Y
    Nov. 18, 2008 1:06 p.m.

what a great story,

• Kyle Whittingham
    Nov. 18, 2008 12:58 p.m.

Should have his name stricken from the books at the Y. Cheer for the team that fired your father? Turn down your alma mater? Talk about confused loyalties.

• YEWTS
    Nov. 18, 2008 12:45 p.m.

If there is one thing the Utes and their fans do well year after year...its choke!

Support Prop 8 and Go Cougs!

Expose Utah as the most over-rated team in the country!

• Tom Hatch
    Nov. 18, 2008 12:44 p.m.

This story has a powerful message: Friendships can exist and flourish despite the rivalries.
    I remember during my early sportswriting days one of the leaders of the Oregon State boosters told me that Oregon and Oregon State were rivals on the field but friends off. This is the way it should be between BYU and Utah. Oregon and Oregon State partisans have accomplished a lot of good because of these friendships.
    I enjoyed this story very much.

• Re: Tommy Cougar
    Nov. 18, 2008 12:35 p.m.

I suspect you are not living right enough, based on your ill-conceived comments. Otherwise, your trust in prayer, particularly yours, or the BCS to take a non-BCS team with even a single loss, is likewise ill-conceived.

• Oh please!
    Nov. 18, 2008 12:18 p.m.

All these foolish BYU fans who KEEP saying that BYU still has any chance whatsoever of getting a BCS birth are morons! THERE IS NO WAY. Even if the Cougtards win on Saturday (which they won't) they still finish with one lopsided loss to TCU. That game was an embarrassment for BYU, and exposed them for what they are. Besides, Boise St. will finish undefeated, and if Utah loses, they leap ahead in the BCS polls and LOCK up that one spot. It's either Utah or Boise St. BYU has been out of that race since they were demoralized in Texas.

• Re;Tommy Cougar
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:56 a.m.

That was one of the most vile comments I've seen on this site and you are an embarassment to BYU fans everywhere. "Tom should have raised his son better?" Wow wow wow. You sicken me.

• MWC
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:54 a.m.

To the guy that says for the MWC for Utah to win would be the best, not true, there is still a chance if BYU makes it into the top 12 after beating the Utes, they could still be chosen over BSU or Ball St so. Will have to wait and see.

• Mr Sitake raises...
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:50 a.m.

an interesting point, Cougar fans.

If one is drunk and acts boorishly, the behavior is understandable.

But the only thing that accounts for being ill-mannered when you're stone-cold sober, is if you are in fact boorish.

• The Real Score
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:49 a.m.

BYU +infinity
    Utah -infinity

There, that should cover anymore silly predictions from Utah fans!

• BYUtah fan
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:48 a.m.

Keys to the game:

1) Pressure on Hall.
    2) Utah's success in man to man coverage on wideouts.
    3) BYU's defense - who shows up, the good one or the terrible one.
    4) Turnovers - this could start momentum rolling one way or the other.

If I were to guess I would say it will be a shootout. The last team with the ball and some time will win.

My advice to BYU. If Utah has the ball with a couple of minutes on the clock and BYU has less than a touchdown lead, lay down, let them score and let the offense win the game with the last drive.

• Awesome Article
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:14 a.m.

Love the article. Love the Utes. Half of my family is BYU Blue the other Utah Red, but we are always family. Thanks for the great human interest story.

• TommyCougar
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:09 a.m.

The Cougs are starting to show some fire again. Tom should have raised his son better. The old slogan "better dead than red" should have been inculcated so deep into his children that they would never turn against the Y.

That said, a father loves even the prodigal. Seems the best coachs at the U come from the Y family after all.

Let us all pray that the Cougs school the prodigals and win one for LE. Then we can hope and pray that either Reno or Fresno trips up the Broncos.

Sugar would be nice. Really like NO food and music.

Y 38 U 21

• RE: Conejo
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:08 a.m.

I'm a true blue BYU fan and I agree the Harline & Collie comments are old. I was at both games and loved the plays & the result but fellow cougar fans give it a rest!

Hope to be in the stadium on Saturday. Go Cougars!

• Re: Anonymous 10:32
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:05 a.m.

That comment sure shows some ignorance.
    1)They used to have an Indian mascot that rode on a horse in every football game. The University was forced to change because it was deemed politically incorrect.

2)History has little to do with the game on Saturday. It will come down to match ups and I have to say that I like Utah's Chances.

3)Again, what happened the past two years has little bearing on the game on Saturday. If your going to look at anything, look at this year. Every time you face a team with decent athletes, the cougars struggle. It could be a very long day for your precious cougs on Saturday.

• Conejo
    Nov. 18, 2008 10:58 a.m.

From a BYU fan. The Harline and Collie being open jokes are getting old. Give it up, it is like the knock knock jokes. After you hear it 100 times it just isn'ty funny. Nothing matters except the next game. There is nothing we can do about past games. Live in the present, hope for the future. Past is past.

• Scott
    Nov. 18, 2008 10:50 a.m.

Mountain West Conference is much better off with Utes win over BYU.... MTN West will then be represented in BCS....

• Anonymous
    Nov. 18, 2008 10:32 a.m.

Utah will lose.......here's why

1) Their mascot is a chicken (Why not a Ute Indian?)
    2) They have only won 2 outright championships since 1964 (Tom would have been 5 years old then, HAHA!)
    3) They're the Utes and choking against BYU is what they do best!
    Go COUGS!

ps: Harline and Collie are STILL open!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:54 a.m.

Just a small note about Tom. I worked at the st Hospital too and he is one of the finest man you could ever have the privilage of knowing. They don't come any finer. And his loyality to his family is as strong a one as you will ever find. I am a die hard BYU fan and have been for many years so I know his love ofr the school. I wishfor him all the good things that come from his devided love Arvalee Swenson

• re: $$$$$
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:52 a.m.

$1.00 tops.

• Stat Guy
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:46 a.m.

It's amazing how close the two teams really are. They have played similar schedules, scored lots of points, come back to win games that seemed lost, buckled down on defense in crucial situations, blocked kicks, willed kicks to miss, faced and overcome adversity of many sorts, have great players, and it all comes down to who blinks in the showdown on Saturday.

This year's team of destiny? The Utes.

My Dad always told me it's better to be lucky than good. The Utes are both.

• Cranky Coug
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:46 a.m.

Re Tough Decision 6:17am

Just another uneducated (football) Ute fan, these guys can barely walk and chew gum at the same time.

Pressure is on Utah...Big Time!

• Kiyoshige
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:43 a.m.

Utah is favored. Ranked higher, better wins thus far, better defense and better special teams. I love coming into this game as an underdog!

• Toa Sitake
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:41 a.m.

The title of this article says it all!

Although we love our hometown PROVO and of course, the hometown team, the Cougars...we love our brother MORE! We support any team he supports...after all, that's what FAMILY is all about!

Good luck to my relatives on the BYU roster!!!!
    Good luck to my relatives on the U of U roster!!!!

it's going to be a great game!

• Utes Rule
    Nov. 18, 2008 9:29 a.m.

Go Utes!

• $$$$$
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:59 a.m.

How much do you think ESPN or other major networks would be willing to pay for the right to air this game?

• Game Matchups
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:57 a.m.

OFFENSE: Utah 36.5 PPG
    BYU 36.3 PPG
    edge to utah

DEFENSE: Utah 16.6 Points allowed per game
    BYU 18.7 Points allowed per game
    edge to utah

SPECIAL TEAMS: Utah has the obvious edge with louie sakoda.

So, going off stats utah has the advantage in every aspect, but then again stats usually mean nothing in a rivalry game. Just some fun facts.

• Ute Fan
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:55 a.m.

Utah 31 BYU 27
    Go Utes!

• utah 34 byu 3
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:52 a.m.

utah 34 byu 3

• Anonymous
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:49 a.m.

With all the challenges in the world, Happy Valley is in their own little world thinking this rivalry is the most important situation in the worrld. Narcissism is not a very attractive characteristic. Please realize that this is a game--it will not mean much in the scheme of things.

• All Blue
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:27 a.m.

What a game this is going to be. I don't remember a one meaning so much to either team. The Utes want an outright solo MWC championship and a guaranteed BCS appearance, and the Cougars want redemption and a share of the honor. I've always bled blue, but for what should be a spectacular football finish, it is too bad that one of these great teams will walk away from this one with an 'L'.(BYU 34-31 UT)

• blaze
    Nov. 18, 2008 7:32 a.m.

waited 20 plus years for this to bad both teams are not 11-0

• Mike
    Nov. 18, 2008 7:31 a.m.

There are no losers for any of us. We have two great teams to root for.

Acting like a silly high schooler threatened by your cross town rival only makes you look immature.

This will be a fun game to watch IF everybody plays well. That is what we should hope for.

• Well Said
    Nov. 18, 2008 7:07 a.m.

Well said Tom. The football rivalry is great. The disrespecting fans, not so much.

• Frankly, I am
    Nov. 18, 2008 6:45 a.m.

puzzled why anybody would question where his loyalties are. Of course he wants his son to win. Wouldn't anybody!!! I would have been shocked if it was any other way.

• Ryan Chai
    Nov. 18, 2008 6:29 a.m.

Go uncle Tom! We love you!

• tough decision
    Nov. 18, 2008 6:17 a.m.

Who do you root for? The son who is assistant coach for the Varsity team, or do you pick the JV team and just accept being second best. Obviously he picks the A team because he knows where the power resides.

Utah 47
    BYU 10 (all fourth quarter points against third string D)

• Kathy
    Nov. 18, 2008 5:40 a.m.

Actually, this is good. For you, there are no losers! That's the way it should be for all of us.

• Be afraid, be very afraid
    Nov. 18, 2008 5:13 a.m.

I have had many Ute friends call me (a Coug fan) and try to talk smack. Most, if not all, finish the call by saying they are very nervous. They should be! There is so much at stake here. I can't remember a game between these two teams where the stakes have been this high. I can't wait!

• Dr. J
    Nov. 18, 2008 4:35 a.m.

We still embrace Mr. Sitake as our own and respect his desire to support family. However, he is treading on thin ice--do not test the cougar nation.

• Wow
    Nov. 18, 2008 1:58 a.m.

What if one if one of his other sons goes to the Y as a coach? who will he root for then?? mind blowing, would not want to be in the family i COULD NEVER CHEER FOR THE Y let alone wear blue..
    I love the attitude - Great choice Tom
    - GO UTES!!!!!!!!!!! your heart finally came home..