Utah

Rivalry week: BYU's legendary coach still keeps tabs on teams

Comments

• Re: Hey RED Man
    Nov. 18, 2008 7:11 p.m.

Sorry but I don't see your impossible dream. Maybe Coug fan faces will be blue with envy after the big 11/22 shindig. Cougs will be limping home with no hope for tomorrow's Quest. I promise that this is GOING TO BE A BIG RED VICTORY!! YOU CAN PUT THAT IN YOUR DITTY BAG AND STOW IT. You know it aint gonna be a pretty site. The kitties will be cryin for their mommies. I promise. MEN IN BLACK RULE.

• Give Me Another
    Nov. 18, 2008 2:15 p.m.

Yes mam, please pass the musturd.

• RE: Re: Tarheel Ute
    Nov. 18, 2008 8:08 a.m.

You are correct, however maybe TCU should not have. Their ill-placed focus did not translate to success with Oklahoma or Utah.

There is no doubt that MWC teams get up for the current champion, but not because they are BYU - because BYU was last years MWC champion. To assume otherwise by some BYU fans is a sure sign of their on-going arrogance, and without much appreciation for their own opponents or success. BYU's football team and it's coaches deserve respect but nothing else.

You'll get no thanks or homage from me or most Utah fans, perhaps begrudging respect, but not this week, hopefully to remedied on Saturday.

TU

• Edwards is class
    Nov. 17, 2008 9:39 p.m.

Btonco is class, Kyle is class (except for a coule mistakes he apologized for and they are forgotten.)

Thank you coach Edwards, and may your legacy live in the hearts of players and fans everywhere,

• AK Cougar
    Nov. 17, 2008 9:37 p.m.

Great article about Coach Edwards. Because of him I became interested in college football in my teenage years. I remember him saying once that he would never be able to recruit the powerful running backs to be comptitive in the national scene. That is why he brought the pass to college football, and created the passing game with quick passes, timing routes, line blocking calls. To be competitive in the league now, a team has to pass or they get passed into the losing column. He will always be a classy guy and draw a good crowd where ever he goes to speak with others. Thanks for DN for a wonderful interest story during rivaly week.

• Lavell and McBride Class Acts
    Nov. 17, 2008 9:33 p.m.

I loved the article and many of the posts. I also like how the Legends poll works. I would say it is much better than the Coaches poll, and probably better than the AP. For the person that says Utah owes LaVell Edwards, I would say probably no more than BYU owes Ron McBride. BYU started getting ranked year after year under LaVell Edwards, but it wasn't until Ron McBride that people stopped saying "who does BYU play? Bo Diddly TECH?" I really like what Urban Meyers did, but he did it with McBride's recruits. He wasn't there long enough to build his own program. I think the next great coach at Utah will be Coach Whitt, who will take us to the BCS with a team that is pretty much nothing but his own recruits.

• Re: kanaka818
    Nov. 17, 2008 8:54 p.m.

Actually. The BYU game is available everywhere in North America. Perhaps you're not familiar with satellite technology. It's not cheap but you can get the mountain anywhere with DirectTV.

• Hey RED Man
    Nov. 17, 2008 8:22 p.m.

Yes you will be red faced after BYU win.

BYU 52 the red team 17

You'll be mumbling...thank you sir may I have another! Over and over again.

• Mike B.
    Nov. 17, 2008 7:18 p.m.

I am a cougar fan. But the way I see it this year is Utah will probably win. They have to many speed people as did TCU. Bronco needs to get a few more Austin Collies on offense and some difference maker's on defense especially. i still think our offense is better than thiers, but I think they are a head and shoulders above us on defense. We have big slow offensive lineman. Please prove me wrong cougars on Saturday, I don't want to be right on this one.

• kanaka818
    Nov. 17, 2008 6:36 p.m.

Memo to Rich @12:47 p.m. RE: (we are all going to see a classic football game on saturday.)

Most of us will not see the game on Sat. because The mtn. is not available in our areas. We'll be listening to KSL Radio on our computers via the Internet.

I just can't believe that a "real" national network is not broadcasting this traditional rivalry, especially with two highly ranked teams.

• re: PLEASE!!!
    Nov. 17, 2008 6:09 p.m.

its not BYU's fault that they beat every team they faced in '84. in 84 BYU should have played in a bigger bowl against a better team, to see if they would "sink or swim" but the "football bigots" wouldnt have it. if BYU would have been allowed to join the PAC 10 in the 80's, BYU would be that much of a power house today, with the "better" recruits. instead, look at what they are doing (utah too) with the "less than 3 star" athletes they do get.

• MANY, MANY THANKS, LaVell!
    Nov. 17, 2008 5:51 p.m.

Thanks for giving us Cougar fans MANY great games over the years: the Miracle Bowl, beating Pitt, Miami (I listened on the radio through HEAVY static on the road for 3+ hours and actually dragged my wife into a Nevada casino on the first night of a belated honeymoon to watch the last quarter of the game and I'll never forget I was about the only BYU fan in the whole place!!!!), Texas A&M, Kansas State, Michigan and earning our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, Gifford Neilson, Bill Ring, Marc Wilson, Todd Christensen, Clay Brown, Jim McMahon, Glenn Kozlowski, Dan Plater, Eric Lane, Eric Drage, Brad Oates, Bart Oates, Trevor Matich, Casey Timalu, Louis Wong, Kurt Gouveah, Leon White, Steve Young, Adam Haysbert, Jason Buck, Kyle Morrell, Ty Detmer, Lakei Heimuli, Vai Sikahema, a freakin' stable-full of powerhouse tight ends like Chad Lewis and years and years and YEARS of beating pretty much everyone in the WAC, INCLUDING Utah!!!

Signed, BleedCougarBlue

G-O C-O-O-O-O-O-U-G-A-R-S !!!

• Cougar Robert
    Nov. 17, 2008 5:21 p.m.

This game is always unpredictable. High-scoring or low-scoring, either would not surprise me, as LaVell said.

The only outcome that would surprise me would be if BYU won by a big margin. I'd be ecstatic, but surprised!

• Re:Tarheel
    Nov. 17, 2008 5:19 p.m.

It is obvious that you did not read how TCU was looking forward all year to playing BYU. They even dressed up their tackeling dummies with BYU uniforms. Get real!

• Tarheel Ute
    Nov. 17, 2008 4:58 p.m.

Gees, where to begin with this nonsense.

BYU/Utah need not thank, but simply respect their relative accomplishments. Coach Edwards was a class act and did in fact put BYU and the WAC on the map. But there were some very good CSU, Wyoming, Air Force and Utah teams as well. And if BYU was given any respect it was for defeating those good teams on a regular basis. I'm sure Coach Edwards and his legacy does not require such homage, from anyone else, "Especially the University of Utah."

And as far as MWC conference's teams getting up for only BYU??? Never seen a coach suggest, say or imply that in preparing for their next game they're instead preparing for next BYU game. No doubt most teams would especially love to beat BYU, out of respect of their recent accomplishments, but I suspect more so to shut up the few ill-mannered and ignorant BYU fans like "King".

Respect yes, but if your wanting thanks and homage for Coach Edwards and BYU, you've come to the wrong place brother.

• MattMO
    Nov. 17, 2008 4:46 p.m.

I've enjoyed for the most part most of these comments. I do think that Lavell Edwards is a class act I also think Ron McBride was a class act. I'm more then pleased to see that the MWC is doing well this year. TCU is a great fit to the MWC. The top 4 teams I think would hang with the best of the BCS favored conferences. And the rest of the MWC teams will be back in competition soon. I would hope this big game to be good wholesome competition between two great teams. It would fair best that Utah wins so as to bring more respect to the MWC. Otherwise I'm afraid that no one from the MWC will be in the big dance. I believe they are afraid that the MWC could be good enough to send two teams to the BCS so we wont let either. And what about Boise State do they get left out too? I smell playoff in the future.

• Thank god...
    Nov. 17, 2008 3:52 p.m.

Better thank god for a chance to live. A chance to be born, a chance to have football. A chance to have Lavell... a chance for everything!

GCW.

I'm thankful!

BYU 31 Utah 24

• Re: King
    Nov. 17, 2008 3:18 p.m.

Well this board just went down the tubes. Ok, brother King, I guess BYU should thank Utah for Norm Chow and Utah State for Lavelle Edwards.

It's too bad that Edwards legacy of respecting others began and ended on the football field. He certainly was not successful at instilling it in his fans. Sad.

• 1984 and LaVell
    Nov. 17, 2008 2:53 p.m.

are the reason "mid-major" teams have a chance of playing in the $17.5 million per team Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose Bowls.

• truebluefan
    Nov. 17, 2008 2:40 p.m.

I want to add that Coach Edwards is who turned BYU from a perennial also-ran into a program that is expected nation wide to succeed. I don't think you'll ever see a BYU Football team without Lavell Edwards mark on it. Now, as a die hard Cougar fan I must be candid and say that when both teams are at their best, BYU IS CLEARLY THE BETTER TEAMS, however it seems as though Utah has a little eaiser time playing at their best consistently. If BYU mentally prepares themselves to execute mentally for this game they will win no problem.

• BYU FAN
    Nov. 17, 2008 2:26 p.m.

I agree with the comments made by UTAH FAN. Good luck to both teams this weekend.

Thank-you Lavell Edwards for some great years of watching BYU football. God bless you in all your future endeavors.

• King
    Nov. 17, 2008 2:24 p.m.

Utah should thank BYU for preparing Whittingham and some members of his coaching staff how to teach WINNING to your Football program. Ask players and coaches in other programs in the MWC who it is they get up for! It is BYU! Hands down. Not UTAH, not TCU, not Air Force. BYU!

• "Legend" Reply...
    Nov. 17, 2008 1:59 p.m.

My thanks to "Legend" 12:31pm, 12:42pm, and 12:45pm for your responses without deference to institution affiliation.

I recall back in the 80's and early 90's coaches from "running" schools used to say that there are only "three things that can happen with a pass and two of them are bad." Lavelle Edwards brought a different style to the game and proved the "running game" notion false. Edwards literally changed college football.

Thanks again and please know that it was not my intent to change the tone of this board.

• PLEASE!!!
    Nov. 17, 2008 1:46 p.m.

1984 is the only reason the UTES can't play for a national championship. 1984 is the only reason the BCS was even created.

• BJ
    Nov. 17, 2008 1:01 p.m.

I think we should all hold hands and sing Kumbiya after the rivalry game, reguardless of who wins.

• Rich
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:47 p.m.

L. Edwards was a great coach and he cooked my Utah goose more than once. I am glad that he did so much for football in this state.
    He is obviously the best coach to come out of the state, Meyers us good, but he did not build a program, My main man Rony Mac did that.

Thanks L. Edwards, and go Utes.
    This game is destined for the record books. Either way we are all going to see a classic football game on saturday.

• Re: Legend
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:46 p.m.

Not to mention the fact that Kyle W. graduated from BYU.

• To "Legend"
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:45 p.m.

I'm not the author of the "Thanks to a Legend" entry but will take a stab at the question presented by the "Legend" entry which was, why the U should thank Lavell Edwards.

Edwards and his coaches and players were the first teams from the old WAC to put the conference into the national football spotlight. He did it will the "Quarterback U" name and with the 1984 National Championship and again with Detmer's Heisman and the year in and year out national rankings. All that helped the whole conference. It helped blaze the way for Urdan Meyer's team to be the first BSC buster. So, as BYU should give some thanks to Utah for being the first MWC team in a BSC bowl, Utah should recognize the help they got from BYU's National Championship and years of success while Edwards was the head coach.

This should be another close and exciting game. I think a higher scoring game favors BYU.

• re: legend
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:44 p.m.

"In 2004 BYU was given more than $1 Million by the Ute football program. That is a tangible gift. Did BYU thank them??"

Answer: No absolutely not, BYU NEVER thanks anyone for anything ever. It is their BIRTHRIGHT to have everything that comes to them. That is why as a BYU fan I'm not going to thank you for your question.

Now in case you didn't pick up on the sarcasm in my reply, let me explain it. First of all it sounds to me like you must be a very shallow and superficial person to even bring that up and ask that question. Secondly, I'm confident BYU did thank them but I don't need to question whether they might have or not. If you are that concerned about it and need a full accounting of this event then please write to BYU's administration and ask them or go ask the U's admin about it. And quit trying to stir things up and/or make other people do your research.

• re: Legend
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:42 p.m.

The U and the rest of the non-BCS owe it all to Edwards and what BYU has done over the last 35 years. Utah would never have gone to or be considered again for a BCS game if BYU had not won the 1984 title, beat #1 teams, and won a Heisman. That is no disrespect to Utah or anyone else, but I think that is what he meant. BYU is the reason for the BCS. As an added note. If the BCS existed, BYU by rule would have cracked it in 1979, 1983, 1984, and 1996. I am just making the point that the successes of Lavell Edwards teams paved the way for teams like Utah. So indeed, the University of Utah does owe something to Lavell Edwards.

• RED Man
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:41 p.m.

This is the year that the world will be painted RED. Lavell will be a figment of the past and mighty UTES will rein as King of the MWC. Then, its on to the BCS Fiesta Bowl to rise like cream to the top of the college football world. Utes day has come. Cougs will fall out of the top 20 and look forward to a better quest next year. Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

• Re: Legend
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:33 p.m.

He started it! Hmmm, where have I heard that before--oh, yeah in kindergarten.

• Re: Legend
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:31 p.m.

I didn't write the comment you referred to but I'll tell you why I think the U is indebted to LaVell.

By significantly raising the level of BYU's program he basically forced the hand of other programs within the conference to also improve thru hiring better coaches and recruiting better players. The U was especially influenced by this due to being the big in-state rival and in the same conference. Also, LaVell's teams brought a great deal of media attention to our conference during the 70's and 80's which also helped bring better players & coaches to the conference. Additionally, LaVell was very influential in lobbying the BCS to expand opportunities for non-BCS schools to have a chance to play in a BCS bowl game.

• Legend
    Nov. 17, 2008 12:04 p.m.

Great coach who single handedly change the game of college football forever.

That said, please explain to me, "Thanks to a Legend," why "especially the University of Utah" owes something to the Lavell Edwards.

I hate to bring down the good feeling of this board but it should be pointed out that a BYU fan made the ill-advised remark and should be prepared to offer up the details to support the statement.

I can't imagine what the University of Utah has to do with Lavell Edwards. Can you help me out here?

Please be careful what you say and don't blame this Utah for changing the spirit of this board. A BYU fan stared it.

• SoCalCouFan
    Nov. 17, 2008 10:21 a.m.

My compliments to the comments that have been made regarding a great man and two great programs. It is so refreshing to read some nice uplifting comments instead of those that are always so derogatory. Any chance that in the future they can be kept on a high level? Thanks!

• Coach
    Nov. 17, 2008 9:41 a.m.

Out of respect for Coach Edwards, I will say, BYU 34, Utah 31. Two good teams.

• Greg - BYU
    Nov. 17, 2008 8:09 a.m.

This is going to be a classic game. Utah, the best non-BCS team in the country and one of the best teams period in the country is going to host a BYU team that's capable of putting up some big numbers, so I look forward to a classic battle for 4 quarters.

• TED
    Nov. 17, 2008 7:45 a.m.

I FEEL SO GOOD AFTER READING ALL THESE COMMENTS THAT I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY. I FEEL LIKE I WANT TO DO SOMETHING GOOD TODAY!

• Thank You!
    Nov. 17, 2008 7:03 a.m.

This is the first time I have ever seen comment entries stay on a high level. Granted, there aren't very many. May we all be civil and complimentary of coaches, players and give the rivalry the respect it deserves. I think we owe Coach Edwards and Coach McBride a great deal of thanks for the way they brought the rivalry to a new and respectful high. Who can forget the pictures of those two embracing and laughing with each other. I congratulate both teams on a very great season. I look forward to a very hard fought game. No matter the outcome, both programs are winners this year. Let's vow to keep this on a high and respectful level. The players do and so do the coaches. Let's all follow their example!

• MarkS
    Nov. 17, 2008 6:19 a.m.

Good on you, coach Edwards!

• Jared - Utah Fan
    Nov. 17, 2008 6:17 a.m.

One of the greats of college football, and he deserves every bit of credit that comes his way. Class act, class man!

One of my favorite quotes came at a Stake Eagle Scout recognition fireside at which he was the guest speaker - arranged by his nephew who was in the Stake presidency. At the event, the individuals who had earned their Woodbadge awards were also recognized. When Lavell got up to speak, he also recognized the adult leaders who had completed the "WoodPECKER" training, and then went on to speak on the merits of an Eagle Scout. I loved his candor and sincerity as he said it, because he did not mean in in way to slight the award, which made his terminology slip-up that much more hilarious!

Thanks Lavell for some great memories on and off the field!

• Edwards
    Nov. 17, 2008 6:09 a.m.

Hands down best coach in all of Utah sporting history. No one has come close to do what he did. The best part was about 20 straight wins over Utah! I'm glad he is tutoring Bronco. What a coach!

• Utah Fan
    Nov. 17, 2008 5:54 a.m.

I'm a Utah fan who finds in Lavell Edwards the example we should all follow when it comes to rivalry week. Be passionate about your team and have some light hearted fun but in the end be able to shake your opponents hand and walk away having given/received each other's respect.

Lavell Edwards, a man who deserves to be honored for his approach and conduct on and off the field.

• Thanks to a Legend
    Nov. 17, 2008 5:21 a.m.

What a class act! Lavell has done more for developing the conference than any group of individuals. Every team in the conference, and many in the nation, owe something to Lavell Edwards. Especially the University of Utah!

• ER in AF
    Nov. 17, 2008 2:23 a.m.

Truly a mark of a wise man is to know when enough is enough. Not ever knowing satisfaction is a flaw that many great men have. It is nice to know that Coach Edwards is not only smart, but wise.