Sports

Utah Jazz top Portland, remain among unbeaten

Comments

• BigJazzfan
    Nov. 6, 2008 6:16 p.m.

They have had to comeback with a big second half in order to win,

at home,

ONly five games in and this has happened more than once this year.

This does not bode well.

• Granny5
    Nov. 6, 2008 4:09 p.m.

Well, Malone was there to watch the other "chokers" of the team. To name one, Boozer the loser. A great player, but not when it counts. AK47 lets his ego into play to much - he is not as good as he started out to be. And CJ - oh my gosh! Who gave him that kind of money to play like he is currently playing - oh thats right - give them the money they want -- sign the contract and then don't perform. Seen it way to many times. No wonder CJ never wanted to play in the Rocky Mountain Review - he didn't want people to really see his "game" in action. A total waste of money - but maybe we can trade him down the line. And why are we keeping Collins? Harpring had his day - let him move on or out. Both are money suckers!

• LakeShow
    Nov. 6, 2008 3:38 p.m.

Dear Jazz Fan,

Before you commence on the annual whining regarding The Jazz not getting respect and this is the year Boozer, Korver and AK 47 WILL NOT choke in the playoffs again (and Again), please prepare yourself for the enevitable: Another playoff loss because key frontline guys choke and Sloan will get woefully out-coached by Jackson, former Laker Scott or even Adelman- Just like it has been for the last 35 years.

The rest of the NBA fanbase is sick of your whining about respect, small market limitations, and the refs.

Hornets and Rockets in 6. Lakers in 5.

• Steve-o
    Nov. 6, 2008 3:01 p.m.

RE: Re Powerrankings mocker

Powerrankings made the point that the Celtics had a cake walk in last year's playoffs and i couldn't disagree more.
    They had a 7 game opening series. A 7 game Eastern Conferense semi-finals. Then a 7 Game Conference finals! To say that the Celtics had an easy path is obsurd. They were beat up and pounded as much as the Lakers were.

Power rankings are pretty lame anyway. The Lakers and Celtics will be up top the whole year no matter what. And the Rockets are always higher than they should be as well. I only care about what the Jazz are doing and thy look pretty darn good to me.

• Brewer's alleged defense
    Nov. 6, 2008 2:58 p.m.

How did Brewer get this reputation as a great defender? I love Brewer as much as any fan, but to say he is so much better than Korver is ridiculous. I know Brewer was in during that great run in the 3rd, but he also gave up the wide-open three at the end of the third. He also got torched by Roy when he tried to guard him. Roy got a layup or foul shots every time until AK was back guarding him. I like both players and the Jazz need them both. I'll also take every win the Jazz get, no matter how ugly or how pathetic the opponent is.

• Rich
    Nov. 6, 2008 2:15 p.m.

Last year Utah had the best home record in the land with only four home losses. These home wins are nice, but they won't prove a thing unless they can maintain a great record on the road. Sloan emphasizes free throw shooting all season, and I'm glad to see it paid off last night. When Deron comes back, I hope he keeps the turnovers down. That's still his greatest weakness -- making turnovers. Last night was Boozer's worst defensive effort so far this year, but that's a good thing, because he did well in the first three games, a big turnaround from last year. When matched up against taller opponents, he needs to do his work early, keeping the offensive player from catching the ball close to the lane. He doesn't pick up many positioning fouls because he doesn't fight hard enough for position. But he is an excellent player, and I see improvement this year. The Jazz better win it all last year, because chances are good that the team won't be able to keep all its better players next season.

• Cautiously Optimistic
    Nov. 6, 2008 1:58 p.m.

Wow - what a way to start a season! AK is perfect as the 6th man and needs to stay there. RP is a decent point, but you know that he will be riding the pine as soon as D-Will is back. Sloan prefers to always have Knight filling that 2nd pg spot, so that he gets used to the unit he'll be playing with for the rest of the season. Saps has been outstanding and just needs to keep being the workhorse and starting Miles isn't a terrible idea because it moves AK in as the sixth man. Remember it really isn't about who starts the games as much as who finishes it. (I guess that means that Almond, Kouf, and Fes were the best against the Clips :-) ) It is going to be a great season and I am so looking forward to seeing these guys succeed. Knock on wood for no more injuries!!

• Jazz Fan
    Nov. 6, 2008 1:52 p.m.

Where is Sloan Hater? I haven't seen him on the comment boards during this 4-0 start. Interesting.

• little morrell Sausage
    Nov. 6, 2008 1:36 p.m.

Randy and i were at the game. K'links is like a SNOW storm.

• Korver may be.........
    Nov. 6, 2008 1:34 p.m.

.......the smartest guy all day long. It good to see basketball mind on the post.

• Korver
    Nov. 6, 2008 1:18 p.m.

Any educated basketball fan knows the value of Korver to the Jazz and how stupid it would be to trade him. The last few years other teams frequently played zone defense and the Jazz looked absolutely lost. Last night Portland went in to zone on one possesion and Korver's eyes lit up, then he drilled a 3-pointer. Portland went out of the zone immediately. Late in the game, Jerry took out Memo and Korver and put in Millsap and Brewer for defense. Portland recognized this and went zone and clogged the middle. Once again the Jazz looked lost. Sloan put Korver back in and Portland went out of the zone right away. That is what Korver brings to the Jazz that casual fans do not notice, but educated basketball fans do.

• Dave Nasty
    Nov. 6, 2008 1:17 p.m.

peterson is the man. MO PETERSON!!!

• Red Hed
    Nov. 6, 2008 1:16 p.m.

I'm with Red! Sloan is C o t Year! Also we don't need no bum legs. Ha Ha!

• Red
    Nov. 6, 2008 12:48 p.m.

All this talk about when Harpring returns. Returns to what? To hobbling around the court on bum legs. I think the best thing is to keep C.J. coming along. He doesn't hurt us, gets 15 mins. so Andre can come in and do his thing off the bench. It seems to be working so don't mess with it. Great coaching this year Jerry Sloan, you've even shut up Sloan Hater. Sloan = coach of the year.Go Jazz!!!!

• Anonymous
    Nov. 6, 2008 12:41 p.m.

The Lakers cake walked all over the Jazz? Only an uninformed fan that didn't watch that series would say that. The Jazz were a "DWill pass to a wide open Boozer under the basket" away from sending that series back to LA for a game seven.

• Brewer vs. Korver
    Nov. 6, 2008 12:28 p.m.

So Brewer was in the game late last night instead of Korver. Supposedly for defense even though Korver is our FT money man. But then Brewer completely blows it and leaves Fernandez WIDE OPEN in the corner for a three that would've tied it. I was absolutely amazed he missed that shot and Brewer's bacon was saved. Did you see how ticked B. Knight was at him? Rightfully so. You don't leave a three point shooter wide open, with only seconds left in the game, when you're only up by three. If anything, let them score the two, but stay on your man on the perimeter! Brewer very well could've cost the Jazz that win last night. Perhaps Sloan will rethink that 'Brewer for Korver' thing late in the game in the future...

• AK
    Nov. 6, 2008 11:54 a.m.

Is anyone else loving what Andrei is doing this year? The man is putting up 13-15 a game and is a huge spark for the offense. Often that second string is doing the majority of the damage. I worry about our big man problem a lot right now. Booze can't defend a center if his life depended on it, at least Memo bodies those guys up. C.J. plays a lot better with D-Will on the court. D wanted him here and gets him open looks, although I don't think C.J. hustles that much. Millsap is incredible. AK-early 6th man prediction.

• Harpring re: Miles
    Nov. 6, 2008 11:49 a.m.

I'm Jerry's favorite....I'll be taking your minutes as soon as I'm healthy. Unlike you (Miles), I punish people and I can consistently hit a 15 ft Jump shot, I can also post up as well plus NBA players don't abuse me when I'm out on the floor like they do you(Miles). Me thinks Brewer is tired of switching to your guy because you are getting lit up every night and I'm sure AK is tired of coming in and we are behind because you stunk it up. I'd rather watch Korver,Brewer or Milsap take those minutes...I'm not sure you are ready for prime time.....I'm certainly not afraid of beating you out once I am ready to rock and roll cause you are soft!!

• Stephanie
    Nov. 6, 2008 11:44 a.m.

The game last night made me a little nervous at first but things were looking much better during fourth quarter. A win is a win I dont care who it is against. 4-0 baby!
    To all the posts saying we need to trade/get rid of players. Lets just enjoy the season we have a great team!! Stop complaining and watch the game! Next year we can worry about it. After we win the freaking playoffs!!!!! Jazz championship 08/09!

• RE: Powerrankings mocker
    Nov. 6, 2008 10:33 a.m.

The Hawks vs. Celtics series? Are you serious with that comment? Haha the Celtics were the number one seed in the NBA the Hawks were the sixteenth and Celtics won in seven you just proved Powerrankings point to be right dont comment on your you make foolish comments hahaha

• Price is wrong
    Nov. 6, 2008 10:30 a.m.

The jazz are 4-0 despite Price being the starting point guard. Price is terrible and should be the 3rd string point guard when DWill is back. I realize that most jazz fans love price, but its based upon a few spectacular plays. If we have to count on Price for 24 quality minutes a night, we will not beat the better half of the teams in the league.

I understand he needs minutes now, but get him out the of rotation as soon as Williams is ready.

• Great game boys...
    Nov. 6, 2008 10:27 a.m.

That was really fun to watch. We'll just continue to get better and better. Espically with the return of D-will and Harpring.

BTW- Keep Korver. He is a valuable asset to this team!

GO JAZZ

• Moto X
    Nov. 6, 2008 10:02 a.m.

These games are all games we had to win BECAUSE they are creampuffs. Can you imagine losing to these mediocre and lousy teams? The Jazz can not afford to lose home games to average/subpar teams.

Why would we want to trade AK? We have finally figured out how he can be used successfully--he is simply dominating the second unit and this helps him stay involved even when the starters come back.

I have said it for 3 games now. Brevin Knight is always on the floor when the team makes "the run" to blow the game open.

Last night the Jazz could have easily folded when Portland kept hitting all those jumpers/3's but they fought back. Give them credit. Portland was living by the jumper and they ended up dying by it.

Why they would not just pound it inside with all their long/tall dudes is beyond me--oh ya I do know--it is easier to shoot outside jumpers--the problem is those are hot and cold. That is why Sloan always wants shots around the rim--not as subject to hot/cold streaks.

CJ is basically filler but the rest of the starters give us all we need for offense.

AK is back!!!

• jwicks
    Nov. 6, 2008 9:51 a.m.

If you noticed in the second half the Jazz took off as soon as C.J. was pulled. What a waste of money!

• Magnus
    Nov. 6, 2008 9:35 a.m.

The Jazz rocked last night. Malone was in the stands watching his old team kick butt. I love the way Korver uses his wrist when he shoots the ball. He is so cute.

• Miles
    Nov. 6, 2008 9:31 a.m.

Harpring: Enjoy your time on the bench cause you aint getting my playing time........When CJ starts it makes the Jazz better. Did you look at AK's stats last night? If AK were starting instead of CJ, all you would see on the stat sheet is tears. AK would have 5 points and two blocks in the starting lineup. Staring CJ is making the Jazz a championship caliber team becuase no one can stop the bench. And Matt can hardly run, he aint taking any minutes from CJ.

• Jazz Fanatic
    Nov. 6, 2008 9:22 a.m.

Okay true.. The jazz have played not so great teams..Nuggets(without Melo) Clipps twice and Portland. But we also have been missing an important player, maybe you have heard of him.. Matt Harpring. haha jk D-WILL! so i am pretty impressed with the jazz so far. i only have two concerns. 1 can that jazz win on the road against the below .500 teams! with d will healthy and our more experienced bench i think that won't be a problem. and next 2. i think Brev should back up D-Will. I know Ronnie is my boy coming out of UVU but hey give props to our new jazz man he shows leadership. I do believe that the jazz will win (If we get and stay healthy) 63-66 games. call me crazy but dang do we look good. im excited to see Jerry get his 1000 win on the home floor! Go Jazz!

• out of your mind
    Nov. 6, 2008 9:16 a.m.

you fans out there who criticise korver are out of your mind.he is playing hurt right now.if we traded him, who on this team would consistently make 3 point shots?? C. J. Miles is a total waste of money!!!!

• DWill
    Nov. 6, 2008 9:05 a.m.

Did anyone notice DWill last night limping around? That's not a good sign. Even if it feels fine and he just doesn't want to put pressure on it to risk a tweak or something, a player like DWill needs his ankles 100% because of all the quick moves and crossovers he makes that are critical to his game. I'm afraid Deron won't be back for a while, at least not at 100%.

With that said, I think AK should start until DWill gets back-not at PG-because our starting unit seems to lack energy. Has anyone else noticed how we seem to always start out slow? That was very evident last night at the start of the game and the start of the 3rd quarter. I find myself counting down the minutes until AK and Milsap come in the game.

• Re: PPE
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:59 a.m.

Re: PPE

That is why the Jazz hit 21 of 22 free throws

• Did Powerrankings miss.....
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:52 a.m.

....the Hawks Celtics series? Also The Lakers cake walked all over the Jazz. Get up a little earlier in the morning buddy boy.

• mikeb
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:47 a.m.

Why would we move Korver? He is a great asset to the team. If you look at last night when Brewer was in down the stretch the blazers just crowded the middle. Kover is able to keep the defense honest. Don't get me wrong i love brewer and think he'll have a break out year, and his shooting is even improved, but other defenses don't respect his shot enough. We need someone to keep the defense honest, that is why we need Kover

• Ivan Peterson
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:41 a.m.

Linky Boy is better off the bench. He gets to score the situation out and then control the ball more with the second unit. He also seem ta find Sappy more n' others besides just Money & Booz. I don't know who thought er up but it was a brilliant move. Linky could be 6th boy of the year. Jerry could be coach of the year and the Jazz could bring a big trophy er sumthin back to Utah all because of this bold & brilliant move. I reckon it musta been Phil or Jerry or one a them ol' boys. I dowt it were O'conelly

• Donny Christiansen
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:30 a.m.

Sap and Brew looked good in crunch time. Jerry Sloan did a better job of coaching and substituting than I have ever seen him do before. Maybe it helped him to watch Phil do it the right way. (sub according to what is happening and not by a pre arranged schedule). GOOD JOB JERRY! After 999 wins in Utah, I think you are still learning. Keep it up ol' boy. You may be coach of the Year or even better win a TITLE. JAZZ look GREAT in 08!

• Harpring
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:29 a.m.

I can't stand sitting on the bench and watching miles play. He is horrible. Actually, I need to get back in before Brewer takes up all the minutes. Saying Miles is 4-0 is as a starter is a stupid comment when he is only playing 14-16 minutes a game and usually the Jazz are just treading water until the 2nd unit with all the experience comes in....Miles impact on the game is so minimal that even Almond could do the same thing. I'm almost thinking we should trade Miles to the Thunder....then Korver and Brewer can take up those minutes!!

• baishel
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:25 a.m.

Did anyoneelse see the Jazz Bear and the Portland Beer Man.
    That was great!
    And when Bear came back out, that was even funnier!
    Great Win Jazz! Hard tough nosed game, to grind out! I don't think we played very well on Defense. Too many break downs with penetration, and finally Sloan started doubling down on Boozers guy. It was loud last night. I took my 7year old son, and he loved every minute of it. Those things are precious. And it only cost me $5 for two tickets. Jazz personel are the best to work with. Thanks Larry for building such a great and respected Organization. You've built something wonderful!

• Layfe Boyington
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:25 a.m.

The Jazz are the deepest team in the league. When Harps & D'will get back they will have 11 guys that can play in the last two minutes of a close game. That is saying CJ can and Collins can not. There is not and may never have been another team like that.

• Powerrankings
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:18 a.m.

On NBA.com they had the Jazz behind the Celtics, Lakers, Hornets, and Cavs how could you rank the Jazz behind the Hornets or the Cavs??? If the Cavs were in the West they would not even make playoffs the East is a terrible conference if the Jazz were in the East it would be them and the Celtics personally i think the Celtics are overrated they won the Title last year due to the Lakers being beat up because every series the Lakers played was a battle Celtics had a cake walk

• Tommyk
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:05 a.m.

First those team might be the cream puff of the league, but any given team can beat any given team any time. Give credit where credit is due. Jazz look great and i hope they continue to do so. For Knight, I think he won the starting postions over price at this time. Knight knows how to pass and get everytbody in the right positions. price is too eratic and confused? he better then hart but not knight

• 4-0 is
    Nov. 6, 2008 8:03 a.m.

tough to accomplish in the NBA, even against "cream-puffs." Now, if only we could move Mr. Korver along to his next team; then I'd feel better about the Jazz' chances of actually competing at the highest level. Streaky shooter + defensive liability = not an asset.

• PurplePeopleEater
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:58 a.m.

Hitting free throws! If that hadn't happened, the final score would likely have been reversed. I'm amazed more emphasis isn't put on making free throws throughout the year. These guys are talented enough to hit quick, contested jumpers, but can't consistently hit uncontested free throws. No excuse for that at this level.

Brevin is another great pickup (Korver the other). These two fill holes the Jazz have had, making the Jazz a bona fide contender for the title. Now, if they can only get some useful big guy in a trade for Almond. The Jazz aren't deep enough up front to absorb injuries to even one big guy.

Sure, we've only beaten weak teams (although Portland isn't that weak, but was missing some key players), but that's being done without D-Will. The experience and confidence that Knight and Price are getting with so much meaningful playing time will pay dividends down the road this season. And, it appears Sloan is learning which is the better choice in crunch time.

Miles will become a bench-warmer again IF Harpring ever gets healthy.

• MIles
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:58 a.m.

CJ is the worst player in the league. Finally I have realized how bad he really is at shooting and passing the ball. The Jazz need to cut him now.

• Re: re Jazz4LIfe
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:56 a.m.

I know that these aren't the elite teams of the league, but if you look at the Jazz losses last year, we were beating elite teams, and losing to the "cream puffs." We should be estatic to be four and 0 right now without the services of DWILL, because when he is back healthy the rest of the league will need to watch out.

• kitty Litter
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:50 a.m.

And we welcomed karl Malone last night, glad the fans gave him a good cheer

• Miles
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:48 a.m.

Why don't we get rid of Boozer? Maybe because he is one the best 4's in the game. All you stupid fans who want him out, will be complaining when Millsap can't fill the void. I find it interesting that the team chemistry is good with the rotation that Sloan has going, but you all still want CJ out of the starting lineup. Last time I looked he is 4 - 0 as a starter.

• Miles
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:41 a.m.

Did you watch CJ last night. Spectacular!!!

• IdahoJazzFan
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:38 a.m.

My man Paul Millsap came through again. He was on the floor at the end of the game and scored 4 points down the stretch. Great Job jazz. You are a fun team to watch this year. Let's get D-Will back so we can continue to improve!

• Re: Jazz4Life
    Nov. 6, 2008 7:17 a.m.

Whoa there.... temper those expectations just a little bit. Realize that so far the Jazz have played some of the worst teams in the league. Portland will be good in the coming years, but not yet. And after a couple not so bad years, the Clippers have taken a major step backwards this year and are by far the worst team in the league. The Jazz are good, but so far they have been feasting on the cream puffs of the league.

• Jazz4Life
    Nov. 6, 2008 6:59 a.m.

I think the Jazz are looking good so far...I can't imagine how good they will look when D-Will is back!

• Teja
    Nov. 6, 2008 5:33 a.m.

I'm just glad we have someone like Brevin Knight to close games for us when Deron is not there. Price is still inexperienced in those situations whereas Knight's veteran leadership gives us the best chance to win. Props to Knight for coming in and handling the ball well. Another great trade.

• jazz fan
    Nov. 6, 2008 3:32 a.m.

why isn't CJ MIles firing yet?