Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars' quest soundly crushed

• Anonymous
    Sept. 11, 2009 1:34 a.m.

Badly need your help. I write because I'm afraid to say some things out loud.
    I am from Peru and know bad English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: "This management was far skin, beauty now cosmetics."

THX :(, Effie.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 8, 2009 6:35 a.m.

Good Day. If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf.
    I am from Kuwait and learning to write in English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: "The stock described into legal regularity in 2005 when it was expressed with a size addition, receiving its advantageous intermediary chen jiulin with months using up to exchange and the preferential algo of the cash."

:-( Thanks in advance. Varda.

• Anonymous
    July 5, 2009 3:59 p.m.

Badly need your help. Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life. Help me! I can not find sites on the: Dodge dealers ny. I found only this - chrysler dodge dealers. Our davie, fl dodge dealership always has a wide selection and low prices. Our davie, fl dodge dealership always has a wide selection and low prices. Thanks for the help :-), Paulo from Emirates.

• Anonymous
    July 3, 2009 11:36 a.m.

I bookmarked this guestbook. Thank you for good job!.
    I am from India and too bad know English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: "Because the warmer seasons are lasting longer, many places in the northern hemisphere are having problems with fleas."

With best wishes :p, Ines.

Oct. 18, 2008 3:31 p.m.

The real defition of a LOSER.. is one who enjoys the failures of others. Plenty of losers on this site today.

• Hey Fully Invested
    Oct. 18, 2008 10:56 a.m.

Why so defensive. Consider reality for a moment. From experience I know what I am talking about, as a student, as a member, as a former BYU faculty member, still actively involved in all phases of building the kingdom. I have encouraged many young people to go to BYU, especially the culturally diverse students. I am one of those myself.

I even admire Mendenhall as a coach and leader of young men; he has a near unique perspective. He builds men (people of faith), not football geeks or jocks.

For over sixty years I have stayed with a culture that can make it difficult to be comfortable. The culture however is of the people, not of the doctrine or principles. But I believe the doctrine, and there are many bros and sis(enough for me) who do their part to help with the social environment.

If you want the speed that mostly only a greater diversity of student athletes can bring, BYU's people (faculty, students, supporters) has got to improve some things. The social environment. Zion ain't here yet.

Don't call me Chicken Tail, or some Ute fans 'morons' and I will be more comfortable with the likes of you.

• Fully Invested
    Oct. 18, 2008 8:54 a.m.

Hey Coaching, so you can't win a football game unless you have a group of beer drinking, religion hating, women chasing young men? Please clarify, because Bronco only expects these young men to represent the University. When are people going to understand that Bronco is doing what he was hired to do? In his interview for the job, Elder Eyring never asked one question about football. I'll tell you this much Coaching, the day that the program goes the direction you are suggesting will be the day BYU drops football. Either be a fan or don't. Maybe ther is a few BYU fans who need to get off the fence.

• Fully Invested
    Oct. 18, 2008 12:34 a.m.

Chicken Tail, you obviously know nothing of which you speek. If you knew anything about BYU and it's campus, you would know that it is one of the most culturaly diverse campus's in the states. Yes, they have a small recruiting base; and yes, they have to deal with the revolving crousel of returned missionaries. Those things are a constant at BYU. The thing that you have to realize, is that Bronco really means it when he says that football is not and should not be the number one priority for his players. His first priority has to do more with spiritual matters, not football; and if you knew anything about the LDS church, then you would know that that is something about BYU that will never change. After all, it is a religious institution.

• Coaching
    Oct. 18, 2008 12:33 a.m.

It's Bronco that has finally been exposed. Quest for perfection? Fully invested? Get real! You've got these kids all messed up in the head. Coach football or go teach seminary. Real football isn't for "nice" boys. It's a man's game. You can't have it both ways. Coach the game the way it's meant to be played or don't bother having a program.

• Fully Invested
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:58 p.m.

To Re:Fully Invested, you're right. They just waited until TCU to lay the big one. I realyy wasn't too surprised by the TCU game. Kind of saw it coming, but the blue blood wouldn't let me admit it. To the Ute fans, like the moron who posted at 11:20, for a bunch of fans who made fun of a slogan that they didn't even understand, they sure were quick to steal it. But it's ok, I actually find it quite flattering. Go ahead and copy it, we all understand that you didn't have enough courage to come up with your own.

• Spudman
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:38 p.m.

My prediction. Utes will lose to Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl 32-3.

• Quest for perfection
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:20 p.m.

Look north.

• Picture
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:02 p.m.

...The picture of the TCU D lineman BULL RUSHING the BYU O lineman while sacking HALL...

• Anonymous
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:47 p.m.

I'm sorry for the players and fans that BYU lost. It's never fun to have a team you love so much lose such an important game.
    But not sorry enough where Boise State has one less team to contend with for the BCS.

Better luck next season when we start playing ya! :)

By the way...

A heartfelt thanks to BYU for offering to play Boise when no one else would.

• just another thought...
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:34 p.m.

>>Utah has been to the Big House and Won!

• Where's the intensity?
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:21 p.m.

In 40 years of watching I have never seen BYU come out like TCU did Thurs. night. Absolutely emotionless is how these guys play. We play prevent defense every down - 10 yars of cushion. When are we going to recruit some guys that actually play pass defense? The game Thursday was lost in the lines. Our O line was pathetic. I actually am starting to miss the days of more penalties on our team. It shows we're not trying that hard. There just isn't any ambition and drive on any part of this team. That's why they will lose 2 more games. Pity after getting through the first part of their schedule FOR ONCE.

• Where are their heads at?
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:52 p.m.

The last two games before TCU had me wondering: is something wrong with BYU or are they just unable to get UP for a game because they felt the competition was beneath them?

I had hoped that USU and New Mexico were like practice games - but I couldn't shake that uneasy feeling. This proves it, they've gone soft, squishy, and are eating way too many cupcakes.

The first four games of the season showed greatness, efficiency, determination, and class. Then, as always, BYU football proves it can't handle a big ego. We always blow it when it REALLY counts, don't we? I'm not talking about the Vegas bowl, or any other crap bowl game. I'm talking about elevating BYU to a top 10 or top five permanent position, and being consistent. We just don't have it in us to be staunch top-tier gritty competitors game after game, year after year. I would feel different today if we'd lost by a few points and remained competitive in this game. But we covered our faces and got stomped!!! What is wrong with us?

I greatly fear BYU will end up third or fourth in the MWC now!

• Re: Fully invested
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:40 p.m.

BYU has been laying eggs since after the first quarter at USU. I was at that game, usually cheer for the Aggies (no I didnt join in in the overrated chants), but thought it would be fun to see a team from Utah bust the BCS again. What I saw was absolutely horrible but overshadowed because there was a W at the end of the game. Same with the New Mexico game. Wins never really make you wake up if you've played a bad game. TCU saw something in those two games that obviously gave them an area to hurt the Cougars. Overrated after all. I so wish I would have chanted, even though it seemed silly at the time. :)

• ha ha
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:37 p.m.

byu is garbage. i knew they were over rated and when they played a real team they would lose. ha ha pathetic cougars.!!!!!!!!! over rated ...

• Dear Utah,
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:28 p.m.

Shut your traps...

1. You ain't played 'em yet....

2. You ain't beat us yet....

3. Harline is still open when it comes to the Yewts.

4. We WILL beat you in Salt Lake.

5. Shut up and take care of the upstarts from Texas, then we'll see you November 22.

6. Yewts need to "remember" (as the Book of Mormon says) a few embarassing losses they've had.

• Eagle Tail
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:22 p.m.

You need speed. You need speed. You need athletic speed. With little diversity on the campus, those athletes that bring the speed are difficult to recruit. You may need to change the make-up of the faculty, and the coaching staff, and the student population some. You don't need to change your doctrine or principles, just get everyone to stand for them, love your brother. Those currently on campus may need to do their part to help a brother or sister of diversity be comfortable. Genuinely comfortable. You need athletic speed. Can you win without the speed? Can you conquer the "Quest for Perfection" without including representatives of full diversity? You need speed to go forward.

• Cougtucky
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:13 p.m.

Actually, it will be:

BYU 11-1 (TCU)
    Utah 11-1 (BYU)
    TCU 10-2 (OU and Utah)

MWC is balanced, tough...

• "Joker"
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:10 p.m.

RE: Will & others

Please "Will" are you really comparing BYU to USC? NOT!!!!! BYU..up to this point hasn't played any worthy opponent until last night. My hat is off to the "HornFrogs" that was some of the best defense I have witness in a long time. Yes BYU as a team had their buttesemos beat like they stolen something. However, they should rebound and recover in the Mountain West Con. I still don't believe they are top ten material. NO!!! I am not a ute fan either.

Now the bigger question is how will they handle the recovery and remainder of their season. I noticed some of my "Cougar" neighbors taking down their flags today. Is that "fair weather fanage" already weakening? Top Ten, BCS Bowls, National Championship you guys really make me smile...

• Oh My
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:56 p.m.

Let me guess. Harline is still open? Actually he is I saw him selling a couple cell phones.

• WHY?
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:39 p.m.

I am greatly disappointed in the Y. First of all, I wanted them undefeated so that Utah would've been thrashing a top 10 team when they played. I was nervous, about that game. I still am, but I am a little less nervous. I told everybody the TCU game was going to prove if BYU deserved to be so highly ranked, and unfortunately, they didn't. I have also been telling people that TCU belongs in the top 15. After winning this game, they hopefully will be put someplace close to that. I hope they move up in the rankings in time for the Utah game. I can't say I'm not nervous about this game. TCU is a good team. They beat OK the year they almost went undefeated. Unfortunately, they did a Utah. After killing the giant, they thought they were instoppable, and they lost to SMU just like Utah lost to UNLV. Granted, that was a different year, but they look pretty good this year. I think Utah can beat them. Thank heavens it's a home game. I'm a little more nervous about the TCU game now! Take it one game at a time! GO UTAH!!!

• re: Will
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:28 p.m.

You're dreaming. For BYU to get a BCS bowl, you would have to have all the rest of the BCS schools that didn't win their championship with two losses. Plausible, but extremely unlikely. But hey, why not dream big?!

On the second count, I don't see Boise State losing. Fresno St or San Jose State have a chance, but they both look like weaker teams compared to Boise. But hey, you're dreaming big, so why not?

Finally, your thoughts of winning Utah are extremely unlikely. You've lucked out two years in a row. I doubt that lightning is going to strike three times. Utah has an even better running game, and the defense looks really solid. Brian Johnson also knows how to pull it out. Just wished he would do it all game long. Perhaps he needs to imagine the team is down by 7 all game?

• re: boohoo 11-1
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:17 p.m.

I would put the MWC as 3rd or 4th strongest in the nation. Look at how many ranked teams are in the MWC. Now look at the PAC 10, the Big 10, the ACC, and the Big East! The MWC dominated the PAC 10 6-1 in non-conference play! I think that BYU, Utah, and TCU could make a game with the conference champion of three of those 4 conferences. The Big 12 champion and Penn State are the schools I would worry about. If Brian Johnson could play like he is capable of for a whole game, I think Utah would be unstoppable.

• re: SEC
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:09 p.m.

SEC? PLEASE!! They are typically good, but not this year. Florida lost to Mississippi, and then went on and killed LSU. Vanderbilt lost to Miss St! Georgia just barely pulled out a win against a very weak SC team. That leaves Alabama who barely pulled the win against KY who was beat soundly by SC! The winner of the Big 12 will win the National Championship. I'm guessing the matchup will be between Texas and Penn State.

Incidentally, TCU played Oklahoma a lot closer than the score suggests. They should've been ranked in the top 15 by this game. They were ranked until they lost to OK. Now they will be ranked about where they belong

• re: Waited a long time
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:02 p.m.

HAHA! That was truly funny! I loved it!

• Fully Invested
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:51 p.m.

Enjoy the smack while you can Utah fans. Just remember you didn't earn it and you won't until Nov. 22. You better hope you win that game or we will have to ban the sale of all razor blades in the Salt Lake Valley.

Now that I've had my fun with the Ute fans, let me just say that BYU laid a dinosaur egg last night. Wow! When Bronco said they could learn a lot from that game, he wasn't kidding. I hope they can rebound enough to win out, but realisticaly, they have a lot of work to do. Props to TCU; they were definitely the better team. Enjoy it Ute fans; I know you've been waiting a long time for BYU to lose a game.

• Just me
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:41 p.m.

Jeffrey Dahmer was a HORRIBLE human being, comparing TCU to him is in very bad taste Dick. Your a sore loser and could use some class, congrats to TCU for finally showing the nation what we all knew, the qwest was a jinx from their coach (bronco should be fired for that alone), going to the movies during summer practice instead of preparing for tough teams is just dumb, and the Cougars are a horrible road team.

• The............
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:40 p.m.

kool-aid has officially run dry!! Ouch!!!!!!!!!!

• Re: Might I Point Out 5:37
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:30 p.m.

Who are you referring to? I have followed that conversation and it seems to me that "Re:Re: Might I Point Out 2:06pm" should quit now while he is way behind.

The post at 5:03 pm is a very interesting observation and worth a look. Check it out.

• I wanna know
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:43 p.m.

What happened to Mendenhallism - the art of assignment football last night?

I thought Band of Brothers was a played out logo but Quest... was worse

To paraphrase the old knight in Indiana Jones 3, "They chose poorly."

• just a thought
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:39 p.m.

re: Now they've shown their colors | 9:06 a.m. Oct. 17, 2008

Utah has been to the Big House and Won!

• Might I point out
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:37 p.m.

you are my hero. Don't let some UTE push you around.

• scout
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:35 p.m.

re; ProvoBrothers | 3:05 p.m. Oct. 17, 2008

I said coming into this year that Max was no John Beck who is holding a clipboard for my favorite NFL team.

• re cougarkeith
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:34 p.m.

actually keith it was about going undeated.

• Change of Plans
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:22 p.m.

As a Ute fan, I've been losing sleep worrying about the BYU game. Last night was an eye-opener. Even though Utah is ranked higher than TCU, I think TCU has firmly established itself as the team to beat this year.

Sometimes plans change and sometimes that's too bad. It would have been insane if BYU and Utah had undefeated records when meeting up this year. Sigh.

• Re: Re: CougarKeith
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:20 p.m.

You people are delusional. If you learn anything from Mendenhall it should be to not make promises you can't keep.

• Re: Re: Re: Might I Point Out
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:03 p.m.

Here is the key point that I want to make sure is very clear to you...

While I understand your desire for BYU to rain on Utah's BCS parade, I encourage you to be very careful about what you wish for or at least ensure that you understand the costs of the scenario you laid out in your 2:06 pm post.

You are entitled to cheer for whomever you wish. However, if (and it is a HUGE IF) Utah is 11 - 0 on November 22nd, and BYU wins that game, there will be no BCS bowl for Utah and it will cost BYU $1 Million.

Therefore, the scenario you put forward places BYU fans in a bit of a conundrum, does it not. A loss for an undefeated Utah will cost BYU $1 Million. Choose carefully, my friend, but understand all the consequences of your choice. Is your personal pride worth the price in the long run???

There now, aren't you glad you made that reply?

• Re: Re: Re: Might I Point Out
    Oct. 17, 2008 4:45 p.m.

You probably should have passed up the urge to respond, here we go...

You are correct, Mendenhall laid out his motto 'Quest For Perfection' though I would like to better understand your basis for saying he will do so every year. I would like to think he has learns from his mistakes; maybe not, I don't personally know the man.

With respect to "someone over at the bookstore" printing up the t-shirts, I thank you for filling in that piece of information for me and yes, THAT would be the moronic fans to which I referred in my 11:41am post. May I ask what you are going to do with your t-shirt?

Further, there is no need to apologize for BYU grabbing headlines. I would hope that no one at Utah ever comes up with a gimmick to grab attention. The message from up on the hill has been consistent and clear since the season began, the "goal is a conference championship."

I am not aware of Coach Wittingham running to ESPN for the discussion you refer to above. Would you care to enlighten me?

Your statements appear to support my conclusions, thank you. More to follow...

• Old, Disappointed, In Pain
    Oct. 17, 2008 4:01 p.m.

Who is that #11 Runback spec. Tell him to leave his wheelchair on the plane next time. He so slow Grandma caught him! Hasn't anybody heard of mis-direction plays back there?
    Poor coaching, no play calling, Brother!
    Spare me another game!!!

• In the Stands
    Oct. 17, 2008 3:34 p.m.

BYU came face to face with the reality of college football last night:

1. Execution can beat undisciplined speed.
    2. Execution can not beat well coached speed.

Most of the college football world understands that. That is why Michigan is willing to take the humiliation of a poor season while athletes learn Rodriquez's system. Michigan will be back.

I believe that this leaves BYU with 1 win against top 25 competition since 1997 with something like 15 to 20 tries. That means that BYU has a 5% winning average when it counts. This compares very unfavorably to upper mid-level SEC programs like Arkansas with many wins against Top-25 programs in the same time period.

We should now come down to earth. We don't know how good Utah is yet, we will get a sense when they play TCU.

• Non BCS wins
    Oct. 17, 2008 3:10 p.m.

Look at the teams that are consistently the upper echelon of the Non BCS teams: Boise St.,BYU,TCU,Utah. Of those teams, BYU lacks a real program defining win. BSU beat OU, TCU beat OU (on the road), Utah in the big house(none of the wins in 2004 carry the same recognition, bc the lousy Pitt team they played in the Fiesta). The last win that I can recall was beating Notre Dame on the road in 1994. Byu needs to improve scheduling. BYU has had a good run record wise over the last 3 years, but not one of their wins fits a program defining win. All of the teams in the MWC have been flawed over the last 3 years, good, but flawed. BYU was simply the better of the flawed the last 2 years. But the national polls this year were based more on record over the last 2 years than any real analysis of their wins to date, therefore the "paper tiger" charge is accurate.

If anyone can name a win that fits this category, my memory isn't perfect, please post it here and we can discuss

Jarid in Cedar

• Re: CougarKeith
    Oct. 17, 2008 3:09 p.m.

Amen to that. If you are a BYU fan and don't get that idea you need to rethink. Football is the medium through which he is molding these men and if we are paying attention and willing we can also be a part of that in a way as fans. I know I can learn a lot from last night's experience.

• ProvoBrothers
    Oct. 17, 2008 3:05 p.m.

Personally I believe that BYU will lose to Colorado State and Utah, Air Force will be another Utah State game. Hall is sooo over-rated!

• Dixie Dan
    Oct. 17, 2008 2:39 p.m.

As long as the Y continues to believe the "best student-athletes" to recruit come from Timpview, and ignore other regions, they will not be putting the best team on the field.

• Re: Re: Might I point out...
    Oct. 17, 2008 2:06 p.m.

Oh that reply was just too good to pass up!

"It was your coach who launched that inane 'Quest for Perfection' campaign and announced it to the world. It was his moronic fans who bought into it and advanced the cause."

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that Coach Mendenhall laid out a motto for his team this year (as it appears he will be doing on an annual basis), and someone over at the bookstore decided it'd be cool to print it up on $5 T-shirts. Anything incorrect so far?

As for announcing it to the world...the only reason the world ever put it into headlines is because they came looking for it! I'm SORRY if you're hurt because the last time anyone came looking for a headline in Salt Lake was when Urban was running things! Don't worry, that'll change soon. Very soon. K-Whit's headed over to ESPN to run HIS mouth off about how great Utah's program is and how unfair the neglect toward them has been. Enjoy the headlines, enjoy the spotlight! And please try to enjoy November 22nd when the Cougs make you 11-1.

I'm glad BYU rejected your application.

• cburb
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:56 p.m.

Will- you are the kind of fan every team loves.

1. Neither Ball State, Tulsa or BYU have a shot at a BCS game no matter what happens.
    2. A one loss TCU has the only shot (if the one loss is to Oklahoma) but don't count on that.
    3. Comparing BYU's national rep to USC is silly.
    4. BYU has an absolutely terrible national rep. In fact they have done more to hurt the Wac and MWC conferences image than any team in either conference. Why? Look at BYU's non-conf record for the past 28 years. They are below 40% against the pac 10 and are below 45% in all non-conf games excluding USU and 1-AA teams. They have a Dismal Bowl record and all these stats are worse in the last 15 years.
    5. BYU tried to game the system this year and was in your face about it. Having the 121st schedule does not help. Being ranked 35th in the computers doesn't help. Being out of the top 12 with Utah at 9th in the mock BCS poll doesn't help.

BYU the pretender with a weak schedule that like the last2 years lost their only tough games.

• wm
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:49 p.m.

Stop throwing rocks at each other. The game is over and stop feeling sorry for yourselves. You guys sound like the characters in "The Holy Grail" its sickening. Oh by the way, TCU will win the conference.

• Don't get phsyical
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:32 p.m.

I agree that Bronco needs to rethink his no real contact during practice philosophy. It may prevent some bumps and bruises, but seems to have lead to nothing but extremely weak physical play.

In addition, despite being outclassed in team speed, on offense BYU was much to late in trying to go north and south and kept trying to go for the big play which never materialized. On defense, it was the typical, hang back trying not to get beat deep, instead only giving up easy first down after first down.

• Give me a break
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:26 p.m.

BYU's season is over as far as the BCS.

You are not USC.

You will not climb back into contention.

The best thing you can do is lose to Utah to save some face for the conference.

I can not stand the BYU fans who think they still have a chance to win it all.

IT'S over BOYS!!

• CougarKeith
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:21 p.m.

We all saw this coming, after the big games, Utah State and New Mexico were huge "We're Slipping" games. The offense thought they could not be beat, well guess what, they could, and BADLY!!! However if you think the "Quest for Perfection" was soundly beaten last night, you don't know much about Bronco Mendenhall or what "The Quest" even means! It isn't about a "Perfect" season, it's about a quest for striving to improve their life style, and who each of them is as an individual and as a team! If you think last nights loss ended the "Quest", you miss the whole point Bronco and the team are trying to make! If they take this as a learning experience and come out and crush everyone the way they did to UCLA through the rest of the season, then the Quest "On The Field" is STILL a success! If they lie down and lose another, it's a failure. If they hold their heads up high and improve their attitude, their love of community and fans, it's still a success, if they shrivel and shrink, it's a failure. How can you measure something most of you can't even understand? It's Not-About-Just-Football!!!

• Will
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:19 p.m.

BYU V Forida in the Sugar Bowl (Unless BYU can improve in coverage on that "out" route Florida will win by 7-10 points)

TCU v Oregon in Las Vegas (should be a good matchup. I like TCU by 14)

Utah V Navy in Poinsettia Bowl. (Utah has a good team and with Sakoda will beat them by a field goal)

It'll be a great post season for the sate of Utah!

• Jim A
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:09 p.m.

• re: nice dream
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:08 p.m.

I agree, a one loss team to the BCS has never been done. That is why it will be done by the originals of college football. The BYU COUGARS... Last time I heard "it has never been done before" was in the Fall of 1984 You might be too young to remember how that turned out. go to your Wikipedia and look it up.

BYU is the most respected non BCS player out there. Like a USC, TEXAS or OKLAHOMA , BYU has a title and respect. That is why they'll still be in the top 20 after this weekends polls.

I get it Ute fans, if we were Utah and lost 32-7 it would be over.BCS are you kidding? But we aren't Utah. Just like Nationally respected USC is already back five weeks after a loss. So Will the most Nationally respected non BCS team BYU. I hate to tell you this Ute fan. But without the ring, you don't have respect.

2) You are nationally irrelevant, college football has forgotten about 2004...Why? Because you just excited by winning 1 game, not a national championship.

Keep trying! See you on 11/22/08

• Hawaii
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:51 p.m.

BYU was really shown who they are. Slow white guys. Good against mediocre teams but bad against really good teams. Sorry BYU fans but reality really hurts. Your not that good. Utah is clearly the better team in the MWC and their game against TCU will prove that. BYU was clearly out coached also. Their Defensive schemes were awful. 8 guys dropped back and they still left receivers wide open. Why didn't they put preassure on the quarter back in passing situations?????

• boohoo 11-1
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:50 p.m.

An 11-1 MWC schedule gets you nowhere, not because people in the East don't care about the MWC but because the MWC is a WEAK conference and an undefeated record there isn't worth much.

• SEC
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:45 p.m.

sorry about the thrashing, guys.
    it will still be a great year, however.

some folks on the posts had the poor taste to compare BYU to Georgia or Florida and suggest BYU could compete in the SEC.

BYU was humiliated by TCU who was soundly beaten by Oklahoma who has an appointment for a bowl thrashing from an SEC team.

wait and see.
    mark my words.
    take it to the bank.

there is no substitute for playing a tough schedule week in and week out.

As long as they play in the Middlin Weak Conference BYU will never develop the toughness to compete nationally.

there is nothing wrong with that but you must adjust your expectations to reality.

continue to be a big fish in a teeny tiny pond if you like; but please don't whine about not getting respect, you won't have earned or deserve it.

Or get a real schedule and run with the big dogs.

one or the other.

but not both.

now let's not have anymore whining, please.

• To Will
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:35 p.m.

Nice Dream you have going there for BYU, there is no way the BCS takes a 1 loss BYU team even if they are Lucky enough and I say Lucky as in the last 2 years to win. That loss to TCU will hurt them in the polls. Utah Will Beat the Kittens on 11/22 and be unbeaten and get another BSC shot. Somthing BYU has not been able to do yet. No 1 loss non BCS School will make it to a BCS game with all the current powers out there. Go UTES

• phooey
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:33 p.m.

All the talk about National Title and then get whupped by the 4th or 5th best team just in Texas.

Take it one week at a time.

• 11-1
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:26 p.m.

That's the number that gets you nowhere in the MWC. If you were in the SEC it would get you a title game. 11 - 1 is a great great season except in the West cause 80% of the population lives east of the mississippi and could care-a-less about the MWC. Motto of the MWC: One and Done. Oh opps that's BYU's basketball teams motto.

• Utahman
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:23 p.m.

• Old Timer
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:07 p.m.

I remember listening to BYU basketball in the early 50's when my older first sisters enrolled. I spent a lot of cold winter nights in front of the radio - KSL was really a clear channel station. I lost a lot of interest when the game became an urban pickup game, and contact sport, instead of skill and grace (think J Havlecek, L Bird). I didn't follow football as much, because they seldom won until about the time of Tommy Hudspeth. It got more interesting as they won some games and TV came around and the great QB's.
    But even then what I learned was that in order to be a BYU sports fan, you needed to have a martyr complex gene. BYU will invariably lose some games they need to win to command respect, and/or will fail to win some games, that they should have a chance to win, that would give them respect as an underdog or spoiler.
    If you can't deal with that,and say "oh well" you probably need to find another team to follow. Otherwise you will find yourself out in the garden often eating worms and crying "wo is me".

• danny
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:56 a.m.

we knew byu's defense was weak after the Washington game, but turns out the offense was overrated also. this isn't a big surprise.

• Re: Might I Point out...
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:43 a.m.

The cougs did not do themselves any favors by printing the "Quest for Perfection" clothing line. The BCS was always one of the goals by players, and coaches alike.

We absolutely were unprepared, and out-classed last night. Great game to TCU. The fact that we were in the red-zone on three occaisions and only came away with one score tells it all. TCU deserves everything they get. We'll see if they can play the same way on Nov 7th in SLC.

• Re: Might I point out...
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:41 a.m.

You blame it on the media. When is BYU and it's fan base going to take responsibility of their actions. It was your coach who launched that inane 'Quest for Perfection' campaign and announced it to the world. It was his moronic fans who bought into it and advanced the cause.

To refresh your memory regarding Urban Myer, it was the 2004 Utes who handed BYU $1 Million dollars after their BCS game. BYU's greedy outstretched hand was more than willing to take it to pay off a coach who's offense at LSU has since won a national championship. The University of Utah AND BYU both thank Urban Myer and his coaching staff for the gift. Don't blame Utah posters for bringing it up...YOU did it brother 'Might I Point Out.'

Less than a year latter, BYU's self-serving world was rocked when one of their own (Kyle Wittingham) said no thank you to their head coach offer. Wittingham rebuilt Utah's program. We thank you, Coach Wittingham.

• Apocalypse?
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:28 a.m.

Did the world just come to an end? Is the Antichrist suddenly in charge?

The Cougars just lost their first game in over a year.

Everybody relax and enjoy the games this weekend.

Smile. The sun is shining. Life is good.

• Hold up there turbo
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:19 a.m.

While we all know that BYU was overrated, I think Utah fans are forgetting something here: Don't rub it in! BYU lost, ok ok, sucks for them. TCU is tough, especially in FT. Worth. Now let's just not mention anything, because all Utah fans know, that if Utah loses a game this year, all those annoying little Cougar fans will be out in full force rubbing it in. Let's show a little more class than we are showing, and a little more class than we know they will show, because we all know BYU fans have a hard time showing class.

• MT in MD
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:12 a.m.

And I totally understand I've just laid out the weakest coulda-woulda-shoulda post ever. The fact remains--the Cougars did make those mistakes, TCU did capitalize on them, and the Cougars lost. My point was simply that as bad as the score was, with better execution of a few plays, the Cougars might well have made a game of it despite being badly overmatched physically.

--MT in MD

• Seeking any silver lining
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:09 a.m.

First off--congratulations to TCU--from what I heard, they played great and really manhandled the Cougars. I did not get to see the whole game, but looking at the play-by-play on ESPN's site, there appear to be a couple of positives one can take away. BYU had a couple of good first-half drives into TCU territory. One ended on a failed 4th-and-1, another on an INT at the 19. In the 4th, BYU turned it over on an INT at the TCU goal line after a good drive of 53 yards. They also fumbled on the TCU 7 after a drive of 92(!!!) yards. Better execution on a handful of plays, and maybe BYU scores thos four times. That's as much as 28 points. It's not like the Cougars played like complete dreck--TCU is good and (according to my son) all over BYU the entire game. To have had that many chances, the Cougars couldn't have been THAT bad. The season's not over. Utah beats TCU, BYU beats Utah, and there's a three-way tie atop the MWC. I'm not counting on the BCS this year after last night, but it's not all doom and gloom, people. More to play for. MTinMD

• FYI in Nevada
    Oct. 17, 2008 11:07 a.m.

If TCU had played with the same intensity against Oklahoma as they did last night they would have won that game too! If they can continue to play with that kind of passion for the rest of season, I have no doubt they will go undefeated the rest of the season.

I have to admit I really like TCU and I think the edge goes to them to win the conference, even though Utah is higher in the polls.

I cant say I liked the result of the game, but I can say I thought TCU showed a lot of class in their victory!

• Old, True, and Blue
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:59 a.m.

I hate to say this, but I expected this to happen. I didn't even want to turn on the TV because of my fears for this game. Over the past few weeks, BYU has played with less and less intensity and heat and I think has started thinking that they are simply entitled to win because...??? Because of a lofty motto??? I don't know. It's been painful to watch. BYU definately has talent, but somehow the hunger, heat, ferocity seems to be missing. TCU was "wow!" last night in every aspect and deserved the "W". I think Utah is in for a spanking and that the Frogs will probably take the conference championship. Unless BYU gets fired up and starts bringing some heart, they'll finish third behind Utah (and it really hurts to say that). And stop thinking about the BCS! That train has left the station. Harmon nailed it. (Go Dick!)

• Ute in SF
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:56 a.m.

Now you know how we felt back in '05 when TCU beat the Utes in Texas to end our winning streak back in the Urban/Smith era. Sorry cougs!

byu will drop to 17-18 with the loss. They should have never been in the top 10 in the first place. face it byu- you have a good football team, just not a great one! get off your high horse and face the facts here.

• Hey, We Still Gotta Bowl!
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:49 a.m.

So, let's take stock of the rest of the season. What do we play for? The Las Vegas Bowl? Wahoo!!!!! How does Craig Thompson still show his face anywhere in the mountain west? BYU can still have a great season, being one of three teams in the conference ranked in the top 25, but thanks to Craig's sweet negotiations, we get jack for a bowl. Conference USA gets the Liberty Bowl?! Oh Well, at least we get the chance to play UCLA again.

Fire Thompson. Get a bowl. Get a TV Deal.

• Painful!
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:44 a.m.

It was just too painful to watch. I finally had to turn off the TV and listen on the radio... then I simply moved into a distant room. Painful.

The wholloping that went on will now make the cougars either hungry and wake them up, or it will actually expose that the much vaunted "character" of this team simply hasn't lived up to all the hype. In the coming weeks we will be able to judge just what kind of a team the Cougars really are. I have no predictions because this is soley in the hands of Max Hall and company.

• Bottom Line
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:32 a.m.

BYU was way over-rated and we all knew it. When you don't play anyone and still barely win, OVER-RATED. Next week, #24 in the polls. End of year, not even in Top 25 and this is a team whose fans thought they would be playing for the NC. What a JOKE

• BYU fan
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:22 a.m.

As a BYU fan who traveled to the Utah State game, the second half of that game really worried me because I believe it really exposed BYU's lack of speed, especially in the secondary, and their poor tackling/blocking against quicker players. I believe that's why BYU will never again see a National Championship, and why Utah may have an advantage in the years to come. BYU just can't recruit very much speed, and in today's game that's more important than ever.

• ZOLT
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:04 a.m.

ZOLT is a company that makes blades for wind turbines and frankly there's a lot of wind being blown in these posts. The bottom line: too much media attention got to BYU. Hence mentally not ready to play at the higher level of TCU. (Note that 2 years ago things were different.) And it continued through the coaching level - the media got to them too. Without as much media now, I predict the Cougs will get hungry again. I hope the Utes are undefeated on Nov 20. BYU will have everything to win and nothing to lose. GO COUGS!

• Waited a long time...
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:04 a.m.

For the BYU fans who have continually thumped their chest about their team this year, I have something for you...

Max Hall to Sanders...OOPS!

• Clarity
    Oct. 17, 2008 10:00 a.m.

Last year BYU men's BB team went to Boise State after playing NC to the end and beating Louisville...Coach Rose said after the game, "we ran into a better prepared team" The year before they went to San Diego and the Aztecs beat them by 35 going away and Rose said "We ran into a buzz saw".

Last night on the football field in Ft. Worth, both happened. I am NOT knocking Bronco. That happens in College athletics and sometimes even in professional sports...and as much as it hurts a fan, it is what makes College athletics so spectacular. I mean, come on Ute fans, even you must admit it happens...Lest we remind you of a little jaunt you took last year to Las Vegas? A shut-out?? UNLV wasn't even ranked! So...I'm not rubbing it in, I'm just offering some clarity--this makes college sports and I love it.

I hate the pain, but really, is there any fun in winning every game and knowing the outcome before the start??

Makes the next win sweeter.

I told my Ute friends in August that BYU goes 9-3, maybe 10-2...I am sticking with my prediction.

• Might I point out...
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:42 a.m.

...that it wasn't BYU asking for all this attention this year. I know that's what all the Cougar-haters up north would like to believe. It was, in fact, the MEDIA that has created such a frenzy in following BYU football this year. I guess that's what happens when all you do is beat everyone in your conference (and a few out of conference) for 2 years in a row. What do you expect them to do? I'm sorry, Ute fans, that you can't understand what that's really like. The only media frenzy created around Utah since Mr. Meyer jumped ship has been created solely by faithful Ute discussion-forum posters.

Want to know what it's like? Well you're about to experience it, now that the spotlight has left Provo and it's about to heat things up in SLC.

Feel free to get it all off your chest now, though, because you know what's coming your way when TCU and BYU come to town. What goes around...

• Look at the Bright Side
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:38 a.m.

At least the Y saved themselves from the embarassment of getting obliterated by a real top 10 team in a BCS game on National TV. Can you imagine the Y's soft defense against the likes of an Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas Tech or possibly Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl? The talk of playing in the BCS title game was enough to make me puke, at least we won't have to hear that anymore.

Note to all Y fans - try watching a college football game that isn't BYU. Had you actually watched the OU/TCU game instead of just reading about it, you would have seen this coming. TCU sold out on defense to stop the run and pressure Bradford and still got lit up - giving up 35 pts and more than 450 yds. They also played with the same intensity (if not more) against a top 5 team on the road. TCU is nice team with the leftover Texas talent that the Big XII powers can't stockpile given the scholarship restrictions.

Finally, the real reason the Y will never compete on a national level - team speed - never had it never will.

• wm
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Get ready for the flag football game between utah and byu. unga will do good here. speed is the name of the game and utah and byu don't have it and tcu does. utah will pull a byu at new mexico. utah will lose to tcu and byu will lose to unlv at cougar stadium. get ready for the mwc flag football league coming to versus after the macho bull riding contest.

• Utah Fan
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:23 a.m.

byU fans need to settle down and quit piling on coaches, Hall, etc. Were they perfect? Obviously not and the quest for BCS is over. But these are the same people you were idolizing all off-season and half way through the year. They didn't deserve the worship you were giving, but they certainly don't deserve to be thrown under the bus.

As for the Utes, CSU stinks and the Utes will roll. But, with Utah now in the limelight, how will they respond? The UNM game looks like a scary trap game, coming off a bye week, 5 days before a matchup of top 15 teams on the horizon, etc...the Lobos have had our number. That's a game that's scary! Get past that and then we can worry about TCU, but not until then.

Oct. 17, 2008 9:16 a.m.

BYU fans think they had a shot at the national championship going undefeated. I am reading comments that that still think they do. Your strength of schedule was one of the worst in the country. For some reason none of you realize that. Throw out the Wyoming and UCLA game and BYU does not look so hot. And lets see Wyoming and UCLA should combine to have about 4 wins this yr. Oh and Washington might add 2 to that list as well and you almost lost that game. Better luck next yr. Haha

• Duh!!!
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:11 a.m.

To begin with, I am a BYU fan. But, am I the only one who thinks Mendenhall has been outcoached the last three games in a row? Were it not for the fact that Utah State flat sucks and BYU picked up New Mexico at home, the Cougs would be sitting at 4-3 now, not 6-1. Sure, the Cougs pass. But, Mendenhall's philosophy is score just enough to not humiliate the opponent is ridiculous. And, the next time I see the Cougs' corners sitting back 15 yards of a wide-out, I think I'm going to puke!

Mendenhall better have a sit down with his OC and DC and figure it out. Or, they'll be looking at 8-4 really fast!

• Homer Simpson
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:08 a.m.

BYU and Utah are both over rated. TCU is good, but not BCS good. BYU is good, but not BCS good. Utah is good, but not BCS good. That is okay. You win with mostly good young men representing you. Accept that, cheer for them and realize that you can't compete with the top five teams each year. Be happy when you beat a bottom tier BCS conference team, but for crying out loud stop complaining and crying every year! Future prediction: BYU beats Utah or TCU beats Utah and no Mountain West team gets into the BCS. Mountain West remains on the MTN channel, nobody watches, nobody outside of your fans cares. BYE BYE BCS money....again! D'OH!

• Now they've shown their colors
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:06 a.m.

All you BYU fans who mocked people like ourselves for questioning the talent level of BYU because of the weak schedule and opponents BYU played now know their true colors. They don't belong in the BCS and not in the top 10. Mentally weak and morally strait don't make it to the big house. I do like that they bleed Utah red, and still think BYU is a thief for wearing Utah State blue.

• jim
    Oct. 17, 2008 9:01 a.m.

I think you all are missing the point. BYU does not schedule any tough games early in the season and in reality only play two games all season. They play well against far inferior opponents but when its time to switch gears and play with the men they come up short. Any team would have a problem doing this.

• Hey Will
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Can you say BOO-gars? How about this? The Zoo will fall completely out of the top 25 this week and will loose 3 more games. Wake up and smell the fresh UTAH air.

• To Utes:
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:58 a.m.

As a Ute fan, I advise my fellow fans to stiffle it until we've played TCU ourselves. The Frogs looked ferocious against an experienced QB and O-line, and the Ute offense hasn't exactly been the model of consistency. If we don't come out fired up, November 6 is going to be a long day.

• Retired Jarhead
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:51 a.m.

"Pregame dinner with Jeffery Dahmer?????????????" JEEEZ Harmon, that's quite the unsavory metaphor. You should have stayed in the animal kingdom. Jackals, piranhas, hyenas, etc., to wit: Ferocious frogs furioius feeding frenzy completley consumes cowardly cougs.

• Anonymous
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:50 a.m.

Re: They did their best

"Good grief, give these kids a break. We are talking about 18-21 year old young men for the most part remember??"

Actually, you're talking about 18-24 yr old men, for the mot part, remember?

Re: how does 8-4 sound BYU?

"In the end of the season BYU will whimper out with an 8-4 season with no bowl invite."

Don't be ridiculous. An 8-4 MWC WILL go to a Bowl game. Probably somewhere in New Mexico.

Re: Reality Check

"BYU still sets the standard in the Mtn. West"

Nope. BYU still FOLLOWS the standards...such as the "Hawai'i standard" for scheduling into the BCS. Incidently, its because of that "we set the standard" attitude, on top of your creampuff "untested" schedule, that has put you in the "Busted" category of the this year's BCS Buster teams.

Do you realize that after all those posts where the "yewts" will finish 3rd in the conference, that if you lose to us next month, that would actually be the highest you will finish. And that's only if you can get by your "road woes" in Colorado Springs.

In the words of the Soup Nazi..."NO BCS FOR YOU!"

• BCS? We Just Need to Win!
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:49 a.m.

That was a rough game to watch, and not because of the McCarrain Int'l Alamo rental car beating the kittens took. Worse experience ever. This was an old-fashioned evangelical hellfire attack against the LDS, only this time on the football field. We (Ute and Cougar fans) should be used to the haters on the sidewalk outside Conference, but this time they had those ridiculous purple jerseys and black helmets on. Wyoming's jerseys are sharp in comparison.

Uh-oh, Austin, I guess your religious theory about close games is now dead?

Collie Dog: did you wake up at about 3am today in a cold sweat hearing the echo of the touchdown train whistle rattling in your brain?

By the way, the director for Versus is one sick puppy. Talk about an evil grin in the production truck. I really don't need to see that pear-shaped loser Gary Patterson's you know what 25 times. Gary, if you are going to wear your 48-inch khakis on game night, please do us all a favor and put a jacket on. This was just as bad as the Warrior's Donn Nelson's gut blocking my view down the sideline in the Jazz playoff series two years ago.

• article
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:46 a.m.

Dick - you said: "Folks may argue the Cougars were finally exposed after looking pretty vulnerable the past couple games. And that might be true."

Huh? "May argue", "Might be true"? Of course they were exposed, who is going to say they weren't? They were completly dominated and humiliated by TCU. This game was over 2 minutes into the game, byu didn't have a chance.

• Can't wait
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:43 a.m.

TCU got pressure (7 sacks) with one great DE. Guess what? Utah has TWO great DEs. I can't wait for that match-up on Nov. 22nd. I anticipate that Krueger and Misi will be visiting with Hall quite often.
    What was great about this game is that BYU was finally exposed. BYU is a fine team who executes their schemes very well. This hides the fact that they are generally not as fast as their opponents. If you can game-play to leverage that speed against BYU - by utilizing a mobile QB, force the LBs to play how you want them (either up or back), you'll move the ball at will against the Y.
    Defensively, you must be physical and if a team has the athletes to go man to man, and still get just decent pressure on Hall - they'll win.
    This was a template on how to handle BYU - if you have the athletes to do it.
    Unfortunately for BYU, this was their year. They lose four of five of their OL next year, and I don't expect the O to be nearly as potent as a result.
    Utah, meanwhile, returns nearly everybdoy.

• Re: 8-4
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:37 a.m.

SDSU is among the worst teams ever...that one won't happen.

• Unreal
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:36 a.m.

The sun came up this morning over the wasatch range!

• They did their best???
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:25 a.m.

Which "18-21 year old young men" are you talking about? Remember this is BYU whose team is composed of many 24-26 year old semi middle-aged men.

• ha
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:23 a.m.

The arrogance some of you display is amazing. I'm sure BYU gets a lot of pub in the western states but you haven't been "nationally respected" since Ty Detmer. More astounding is that you somehow view the MWC as equal in quality to the Big XII and SEC...we (TCU) aren't even that delusional.

The fact that the natl. media even speaks of the atrocious PAC 10 shows you where our conference is on the totem pole. if we lost to a top 3 team and our BCS hopes are done...yours are most certainly done.

• J Lee
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:20 a.m.

The mentality of the comments on this blog are astounding. Sad.

• Mike R.
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:19 a.m.

BYU's non-contact practices have turned them into wimps. Let the players hit each other in practice. Then they might be prepared for a game like this. TCU was better from top to bottom. They made it look easy.

Some advise. Have all the really fat offensive line lose some weight so that they can block faster defensive lineman. Get some linebackers with some meat on their bones. Throw to more than two receivers.

The coaches need to get it together and put some fire into this team. Also put a cork in Collie's mouth.

• Figure it out
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:14 a.m.

max hall are you serious? That guy needs to pull his head out and spread the ball around, He looks really bad right now. Everyone knows you are going to throw to Pitta or Collie. Call some plays for Reed and even put chambers in there once in awhile, Spread THE GD BALL AROUND. I just cant believe the cougars are playing like this, its gross.

• To the Cougan Nation
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:10 a.m.

. . . actually I mean to the Provo bubble;
    1-BYU was actually slower than advertised.
    2-The Collie article about how he is magically. faster when has pads on was obviously FALSE, he IS SLOW.
    3-BYU pride is mindless without objectivity.
    4-BYU was indeed VERY overrated. Utah is as well.
    5-Begin the "quest for speed" NOW!
    6-Hall is not Heisman caliber, he is not even the best QB in the conference. Look at how he handled a "little" bit of pressure.
    7-It is nice that all the "inflated" hey look at me I am so great talk will END, for the rest of the season. It wasn't just one bad game. You could see the talent difference. BYU is nothing compared to TCU.
    8-BYU fans the most unbearable and per SI "hated" in all of college football got exactly what they needed for their long term welfare, a BOWL FULL OF HUMILITY, eat it up Cougar fans. You deserve it because you failed to represent, what a let down you are:)

• Anonymous
    Oct. 17, 2008 8:02 a.m.

One of these days, the north eastern press will give credit to the TCU defense. Two sacks on Hall for the entire season and TCU gets 6 last night. Even in our only loss (to the then #1 ranked Sooners) TCU's defense held OU to 25 yards total rushing (unfortunately the offense that day turned the ball over 4 times). TCU loses their only game to OU and gets dropped from the polls while Auburn loses 2 (now 3) and was ranked # 20. Inane reporting.

• Nice, real nice
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:58 a.m.

So the Frogs played against the "Super Cougars" last night huh? Only delusional people were calling them super. Anyone who followed the cougars at all this year knows that they were wayyyyyyyyy overrated. Maybe the "stupid" USU fans weren't so dumb after all. Maybe they could see what "stupid" Y fans couldn't. I was at that game and I knew that byu would lose once they played a real opponent. And please stop with the "they can still make the bcs" crap. No way. They were exposed on every level last night.

• how does 8-4 sound BYU?
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:48 a.m.

I predict further loses to Utah, San Deigo State and Air Force. Other teams now see that BYU is soft and they will adjust their game plans accordingly. In the end of the season BYU will whimper out with an 8-4 season with no bowl invite.

• Reality Check
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:44 a.m.

RE: Pretender--BYU has been outmatched physically by TCU over the past three years and they've handled TCU with two wins and a controversial loss in overtime. Bottomline, TCU has been preparing for this game all year (as stated by Gary Patterson) and BYU came with no preparation and no adjustments to the weaknesses exposed over the past 6 games. And UTES, before you get too full of yourselves... remember, there are no UTE helmets on the dummies in the TCU practice facilities... BYU still sets the standard in the Mtn. West as stated by many coaches in the conference (most recently by Glenn, Long, and Patterson). Maybe this will give you a chance to beat TCU because they have not been preparing to be beat you for a year. Sneak up on 'em Utes, we need you undefeated in November to sweeten the beating we are going to give you.

• They did their best
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:44 a.m.

Good grief, give these kids a break. We are talking about 18-21 year old young men for the most part remember?? BYU players did their best out there but TCU simply had better athletes top to bottom and there isn't much you can do about that. BYU isn't that good of a team athletically in 08 but the guys are doing their level best to compete.

• Ken
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:36 a.m.

You had to see this coming. After piling on a couple of teams a in September, they've been steadily slipping the past few games.

The first real test of the season finally arrived, and sadly, the Cougars didn't.

• Larry sez:
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:27 a.m.

The guys at TCU
    Played a game against 'the Zew'

While away from the alter
    The Y boys did falter

And the Froggies told Bronco BOO-HOO!

• Paqo
    Oct. 17, 2008 7:17 a.m.

Dear Will,

What are you smoking? I want some. Who is left on BS University's schedule that will beat them? San Jose State has the best chance where the game is at San Jose State, but I honestly expect that Boise State wins out.

The Utes ranked 5-8? Listen. I love the Utes, and I hope that they win out and go to their second BcS bowl game, but I think your rankings for both teams are way too high. There is no way that Utah merits being ranked that high any more than BYU did.

The "nationally respected" Cougars rebounding to 12-16? Ummm... I think that losing by 25 points is going to result in a larger drop than you imagine, as people will start looking at BYU's schedule and realizing that they have been a paper tiger. I think that BYU will be ranked in the top 25 when we meet in November, though I doubt that it will be as high as you imagine.

Finally, don't start chalking up the win on 11/22 just yet. TCU gave Gary Anderson some good stuff to work with last night. GO UTES!!!

• Quest for perfect scenario
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:49 a.m.

at end of seasion:
    Utah 12-0
    TCU 10-2
    BYU 10-2

To all BYU fans who are still thinking BCS for BYU, there is no way for a non-BCS conf team make BCS bowl with 1 loss. You can still dream on.

• Slow Down Will
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:44 a.m.

Put the bottle down Will. The emperor has no clothes.

Go Utes!

• I agree with NO Coaching
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:42 a.m.

BYU never throws an interesting play into the mix. I know Bronco doesn't like tricks and gimmicks but maybe they help keep the other team on their toes a bit. I am reminded of the BYU/Utah game two years ago. The fake punts, reverses, etc. It sure kept the Cougs on their toes even though they pulled out the W. Who knows, the players and the fans might have some fun with it. BYU is not good enough to beat good teams by strength of their "fundamentals" (Vanilla play calling). Risks need to be taken. When did football become so serious? It's a game! Weekend entertainment at best! Entertain us! Go out on a limb!

• Raisin
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:40 a.m.

So how much are the stupid t-shirts on e-bay now?

• Never had much faith
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:37 a.m.

in Anae. The man's play calling is plain vanilla. Got to give TCU credit - they played lights out. If TCU plays like that for the rest of the year, they'll beat anyone they come up against. But, they play down on the road - Utah will have a good opportunity to beat them at home, but they'd better buck up for this one.

• Utah will KILL BYU
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:15 a.m.

BYU fans better get used to getting blown out because the UTES are going to spank the kittens on Nov 22 in Salt Lake in a similar fashion to TCU. BYU is a soft, finese team that can't play physical football.

• Throw away the T-Shirts
    Oct. 17, 2008 6:09 a.m.

You know the T-Shirts that say "FULLY VESTED". Well, it is time to use them to clean the car or maybe as a paint rag. The Fully Vested era is over for Bronco. Time to retire that phrase and then go out and recruit some "physical" D-linemen instead of the "softies" that currently make up the roster. BYU was man handled top to bottom by TCU. No amount of preparation would have changed a thing in the out come either. If the BYU football program wants to take the next step nationally then they are going to have to recruit big, physical defensive players...PERIOD. Offensively, well I think BYU could have played better with a better game plan.

Oct. 17, 2008 5:59 a.m.

Well the answer whether BYU was actually contenders or merely pretenders was answered at TCU. This game wasn't BYU players not being prepared by the coaches or just having a bad night. This was outright physical domination by a team with superior athletes top to bottom. BYU mislead a lot of national pollsters by beating a soft Washington and UCLA team early in the season but reality started to set in against Utah State and was further cemented against New Mexico. TCU dominated BYU's offensive line. TCU dominated BYU's undersized defensive line. TCU sat on top of BYU's slow receivers. Case closed and game over. Bronco is a great coach but no amount of coaching and inspiration can make up for a mismatch in athetic talent on the field. One thing Bronco can do is change the sort of defensive linemen he recruits going forward. If BYU wants to play physical football then they have to recruit BIG physical defensive linemen. The TCU UTAH game will be for the MWC championship and I pick Utah to win that and go to another BCS bowl. BYU will finish with 2 loses and end up third.

• I care
    Oct. 17, 2008 5:11 a.m.

I'm living in China right now. There are 1.3 billion Chinese people here, not 999 million. I care deeply about BYU football, and am happy to have the chance to listen to these games on KSL's podcast. "I don't care"'s post is an example of why the Deseret News needs to require registration to post comments. The stupidity on these forums is alarming.

• blessing in disguise
    Oct. 17, 2008 4:15 a.m.

Better to be humiliated on a Thursday nite in October with nobody watching than in a BCS bowl in January.

• sorry guys
    Oct. 17, 2008 4:13 a.m.

another year on the island of misfit toys.

• David S Decker
    Oct. 17, 2008 3:55 a.m.

Harmon's commentary is "right on", but a little kind. We were outcoached, outplayed, and over rated. After the lousey game at Utah State I kept waiting for the defense to improve. They didn't. Hall has been spoiled by the offensive line. But, speed overcame power to the point that we looked very ordinary in the line. We could easily end up losing 2 more!! Including, double ouch, Utah.

• Provo
    Oct. 17, 2008 3:54 a.m.

The Y can still win the national championship if they win the rest of their games since all of the teams ahead of them have to play each other or in conference championships which means several losses for Texas, OU, Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc

• Dropped your end of the bargain
    Oct. 17, 2008 2:02 a.m.

I'm glad you speak English "I don't care". But we do care. I really think BYU does have a great team... but honestly, pride got the best of them. The comments this week from players and coaches seemed pretty laid back while all you heard from the TCU side was gritting of teeth. TCU wanted it more... the cougs must have thought they "were going to lay down for them." (in the words of King Collie himself). Anyways, too bad Will is delusional and thinks the Cougars can win on the road... haha. Go Utes! We just need to worry about taking this one game at a time and not promote we're one of the "best teams in the nation". Actions will speak louder than words.

• NO Coaching
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:49 a.m.

No adjustments,no play action, no outside containment,no coaching. They have figured us out,our vanilla play calling and slow zone defense. We have lots of character an inspirational program, great players.But we will never make it to the next level unless our coaches "not our players" improve thier game.

• Tito
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:45 a.m.

NP -
    We'll just need them back by November 22nd. It'll work out great since You'll have no use for them after that date.
    All the Best!
    The defending champs

• I don't care
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:33 a.m.

I live in Asia and me and 999 million Chinese people don't care!

• Binjanjino
    Oct. 17, 2008 1:32 a.m.

Really? Only two comments so far? Dnews must be censoring all the U fan's comments.

What a great game! Don't worry zoobies, now you can go back to playing teams with losing records, until......nana.....nana....nana...nana..nana.nana November 22nd! Christmas comes early this year!

Let me guess, this comment won't be posted. :(

• Pretty Please
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:56 a.m.

Can we borrow your shirts?

• Will
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:50 a.m.

Just Like USC, Due to their national reputation, BYU just got a mulligan tonight, a luxury TCU and Utah do not have.. BYU is not out of the BCS. With 5 games left to still move up in the polls.

BYU will end up between 22-25 in the polls.

1) BYU will win out until Utah. They'll be 10-1 going into Utah.

2) TCU played well tonight, but is not the same team on the road. Utah will beat them on 11/6 going away. TCU will be 10-2 to end the season. They will also drop behind the defending back to back MWC champs with the loss with.

3) Boise State will not win out. They will srop behind BYU with a late season loss to a WAC team.

4) That leaves the Utes @ 11-0 going into BYU week (with upsets)they'll be ranked between 5-8th in the polls.

5)A nationally respected 10-1 BYU will be ranked between 12-16 in the polls.

6) BYU will beat UTAH in their own stadium (again) Utah will also drop behind the defending back to back MWC champs with the loss with. BYU moves back into the BCS top 12 for good.

Oct. 17, 2008 12:33 a.m.

No need to say more!

• To Cougar Blue
    Oct. 17, 2008 12:29 a.m.

You were right, the game was over by the first half...