USU, Utah Utes football: U. quickly snuffs out Aggies' upset hopes

• Aggie in Colo.
    Sept. 19, 2008 9:11 a.m.

Using the logic I keep seeing in this blog, both Utah and BYU should have stepped down to a lower division in years past when they struggled with Football so mightily. Before Lavell Edwards, BYU was the SHAME of D1 football. Likewise, Utah has had some rough spots as well. The point is that both of these schools turned it around with the right coaches, building better facilities, and getting fans behind them. My question is "why do people think Utah State can't do the same thing?" I think they can. The reason I think it can be done is that we are finally in a decent conference (WAC) where we can build our program. No thanks to BYU and Utah BY THE WAY who blocked us from getting into the WAC in the past. But,USU needs to start now with a new coach and a number of other changes. Go Aggies. I'm behind you 100%.

• RE: Serious Question
    Sept. 16, 2008 4:31 p.m.

Stepping down to the FCS could be the end what they need to do but I don't think all options have been exhausted before they make a change. Keep in mind that USU didn't get into the WAC because of Football and they do compete quite well in Division 1 in other sports.

I think USU can save their football program without downgrading. I agree that some time off from playing BYU and the U would be a good thing and would open up our schedule. USU can fit in a couple of very winnable opponents in before conference play begins. I think they also need a new coach and I don't necessarily dislike Guy. But I think new coaches spark enthusiasm and USU fans need something to be enthusiastic about. A new coach will shake things up and bring back some excitement.

I'd hate to see them go down because of Football alone, but if things start to continue they might have to.

Sept. 16, 2008 2:34 p.m.

Guy is a joke...Nice Guy,but a joke of a coach....his strategy is flawed and he along with his entire troup need to go......

USU needs Alta High Schools Defensive coach...the guy is a stud and a heady defensive strategist!

Hire Coach Ron Halbert and start recruiting in-state talent and watch your win/loss record improve along with butts in your seats!

• Serious Question
    Sept. 16, 2008 12:41 p.m.

I am not an Aggie hater, I have two brothers and countless other family who are grads of USU. What I really want to know is why doesnt USU move down to the FCS and I dont mean that as something rude or talking down to them. I mean that as a serious question! I know they struggle to meet attendance requirements and with BYU and Utah in the state recruiting to stay competative is difficult at best! Playing in the FCS would afford them to be competative and recruit to be so! If and when they had enough attendance and depth to compete again within the FBS they could apply to go back up! I know the thought of that prob comes across unpleasant but seriously I think it would be a good thing for the school and program!

• Running up the score
    Sept. 15, 2008 7:35 p.m.

LaVell did run up the score and here is your proof.
    12/1/73 BYU 63 UTEP 0
    10/16/76 BYU 63 S. Mississippi 19
    10/27/79 BYU 59 New Mexico 7
    11/24/70 BYU 63 San Diego St. 14
    11/1/80 BYU 83 Utep 7
    11/2/85 BYU 59 Wyoming 0
    10/29/88 BYU 65 New Mexico 0

• moe money
    Sept. 15, 2008 5:29 p.m.

That's right, give Guy $900,000.00 then you get some resluts.

• USU fans
    Sept. 15, 2008 2:56 p.m.

don't care what byu or utah fans think. We have our own issues to deal with. You deal with yours.

John L. Smith will be back in blue within 2 weeks to show the cougars whats up.

Go Aggies

• Right
    Sept. 15, 2008 9:31 a.m.

Brent Guy is right, the Aggies don`t have a chance to win as long as he is the coach.

• Hiatus
    Sept. 15, 2008 8:18 a.m.

USU could really use a hiatus from both teams for a few years. USU really should get out of our 'deal' with BYU to make this possible. This would allow more flexibility in scheduling for all teams. But for USU they could dumb down their schedule a tad and I believe they need a weaker schedule as part of their re-build plan.

Without BYU and the U on their schedule USU could strike a deal with Weber St for as an in-state game and they could also schedule a weak division 1 program. I believe a weaker schedule would give USU an opportunity right at the start of the season to earn some wins. After 5 years or so when USU is having more success on the field they can schedule the U and BYU again.

• Goodbye Guy?
    Sept. 15, 2008 8:01 a.m.

USU's problems go far beyond coaching. Mendenhall and Whittingham are great coaches, and I have to tell you that I don't think they could turn the program around in short order. I'm not necessarily saying keeping Guy is the right thing, but what I am trying to say is that USU needs a coach Aggie fans can throw their entire support behind with the understanding that it will take years to rebuild.

However, I've seen little if no improvement over 4 years. I don't think 4 years is asking too much to start seeing the benefits of a coaching change. But if USU has another terrible season it will be time to change coaches.

• Anonymous
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:56 p.m.

Fire Guy!!! USU needs better atheletes and a coach with a history of having one of worst programs in division 1A can't recruit them. The idea that USU can't afford a good coach is ludicrous.

I understand John L. Smith was back in Logan this weekend. Maybe the new A.D. could entice him into comming back.

• Hey BYU
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:20 p.m.

make sure you do not score more then 58 on Utah State when you play them. You would not want to be accused of running up the score would you. I have a great idea make sure you just win by 3 to prove how humane you are and kiss your BCS dreams goodbye.

• Re. USU
    Sept. 14, 2008 8:55 p.m.

Either get into a lower classification or put up the money to get a real coach, or drop football altogether. This is after all a business boys. I know where this Brent Guy came from, did you think that just because he was with a Pac-10 team that he was going to be your savior? The new stadium additions are great but now you need to spend on a coach with the ability to recruit and coach, with a staff of some quality. Either get in or get out, this is embarrassing.

• Nick
    Sept. 14, 2008 8:45 p.m.

Being a USU student, I don't blame anyone for not going to the games. What an embarrassment! Yet USU continues to fund the joke year after. They even built a several million dollar facility on the north endzone. Waste of mine and other students hard earned tuition!

• ute fan 1
    Sept. 14, 2008 8:10 p.m.

OK TDS you had a good game and it's hard for me to give you credit but I am good job. But we also won UCLA 44-6 when they were ranked 11. Don't get to excited yet Washinton is 0-3 and they only have one close game and that was with you. Utah is getting stonger every week and I think we will keep rolling all year.

• Alex Trebek
    Sept. 14, 2008 7:50 p.m.

This is why instate teams (BYU and Utah) should not schedule USU. If it wasn't before it has to be painfully obvious now that USU is nowhere in the same realm of program as the two big boys in the state. This giant win has done nothing for Utah and when BYU blows out the Aggies it will do nothing for them either. USU is pathetic. D-1AA is calling and if you had half a brain you would answer, USU.

• ute fan
    Sept. 14, 2008 6:48 p.m.

good job on the win utes. and for the byU fans complaining on utah running up the score, get over it. nothing you can do about it. since unlv beat arizona state ranked and on the road it doesnt make us look that bad now does it. and the sakoda pass was the result of a botched snap and he reacted to it, so it wasnt a trick play. and the wyoming game last year utah had every right to run up the score based on joe glenn's guarantee.....

• Riverton Ute
    Sept. 14, 2008 5:52 p.m.

Stop tring to be-little Utah's win by saying Kyle Whittingham has no class. First of all, the fake punt was when Utah was up 16 points. Last time I checked up 16 points in the second quarter does not constitute having the game well in hand, regardless of who the openent is. Secondly, Utah scored twice in the fourth quarter on doing nothing more than running the ball. Utah St. new Utah was running the ball and still could not stop it. Utah was not running up the score, just running the ball to control the clock. Both the fake punt and running the ball while up big is good football strategy. Well done Kyle Whittingham.

The score was lop-sided becuase Utah was the superior football team. The same can be said for the BYU-UCLA game.

• Fact
    Sept. 14, 2008 5:19 p.m.

Utah was playing with young and inexperienced D-tackles, Johnson was struggling to find a rythm, Whitt left guys in because next week has to large of implecations to allow his team to only play one half of football. He took the opportunity to let his guys get more rythm and experience

• BYU professor
    Sept. 14, 2008 4:17 p.m.

There're an awful lot of U fans giving props to BYU over on our forums, and there are an awful lot if BYU fans on the U forum here dissing the U for not having any class (which shows poorly on us, btw).

Both teams caused and took advantage of turnovers. Neither team gets respect for edging past bad opponents (e.g., BYU's well-deserved W last week and the week before). Keep hitting hard and we'll have the game of a century in Nov (beat AF next week and we'll try not to lay an egg against Wyoming).

• re:re:re:can't believe
    Sept. 14, 2008 4:16 p.m.

lets see. a weak washington, ucla, and northern iowa. whats worse to play in, the huskey's stadium or the BIG HOUSE? give me a break. you totally didnt make any sense with that comment. byu sure is making a statement as well too huh?? GO UTES

• re:re:re:: can't believe
    Sept. 14, 2008 3:59 p.m.

No, no, blasting an overrated UCLA team, barely surviving against a putrid Washington team and struggling at times against a glorified division II-A school is making a statement. And to top it off you get that same weak USU team later in the season. Much more impressive.

Get a life. You got your reaction, now you can leave.

• re:re: can't believe
    Sept. 14, 2008 3:24 p.m.

No BYU fan can put a damper on the UTAH victory.

Only scheduling a weak USU team, and trying to run up the score can put a damper on this Ute victory.

I can't see it as impressive.

Let's see, a weak Michigan, UNLV and Utah State.

And you now sit 3-0.

You are making a statement.

• Utes
    Sept. 14, 2008 3:22 p.m.

Great win. That was a good tune-up for Weber State. They beat Dixie this weekend. That should be a great match-up for the Utes to really show their stuff! Good thing it's at home so the Utes can enjoy home field advantage. Next year maybe they can schedule Snow College and Dixie as well.

• Re: can't believe what I'm readi
    Sept. 14, 2008 3:12 p.m.

Re: baloney and can't believe what I'm reading-

Can you please go back to your worship Bronco/LaVell board?

Lavell never ran up the score? Wasn't it Lavell's BYU team that beat New Mexico 66-0 in the 80's? Let me guess, like against UCLA they tried to be conservative, but New Mexico just couldn't stop'em, right? You Justify your team's obliteration of an opponent, yet, nitpick the Utes for using a fake punt while up 16 in the first half. Your blatant bias makes it very difficult to take your accusations seriously.

No matter how hard you try, you're not going to put a damper on this Ute victory. Fortunately for us Utah fans, Whit's not in the business of appeasing rival fans with his coaching style.

• can't believe what I'm reading
    Sept. 14, 2008 2:27 p.m.

Re: baloney | 1:00 p.m. Sept. 14, 2008
    "Grow up my friend. This isn't little league or high school football. Mercy rules don't apply."

I can hardly believe the ignorance of your post. Even in the pros the superior team backs off and puts in their subs when it's obvious how the game is going to turn out. Way to justify and rationalize Whit's bad behavior.

re: re:to cougar keith and Balon | 1:15 p.m. Sept. 14, 2008
    "well we know who his alma mater is :)"

Yes and unfortunately it appears he no longer remembers what LaVell was teaching. LaVell had some teams that could have really run up the score if they had left their starters in and did some trick plays to boot. LaVell would call off the dogs which would be frustrating to many fans because we wanted to see the team keep scoring, and sometimes they did anyway even with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players. Kyle learned his current approach of kick 'em when they're down from McBride. He's a very McBride-like coach.

• Ute Fan
    Sept. 14, 2008 2:28 p.m.

Fans of non-spread offense teams just don't understand the workings of the spread offense. Fake punts are not used as 'trickery' in the spread O. They are part of the normal offensive scheme. Utah has been running the fake punts like that since Meyer first came here in 2003. If it works, keep it in the playbook.

Also, they needed to run that play, because the offense was looking like they needed a boost. Sakoda had been kicking quite a few field goals. Ludwig and Whit simply used the fake punt as a way to get some more momentum (cause that's what 4th down conversions do).

Mercy rules have not applied in College Football for a long time now because the BCS and rankings are weighted heavily on how much you defeat an opponent, especially if they are deemed as a weaker opponent. It has nothing to do with "class". The way I see it, the players worked hard all week for the opportunity to play, and they shouldn't have to let up simply because they are a stronger opponent. They need to learn that they are expected to play 4 quarters of football regardless of who they play.

• Logan Shame
    Sept. 14, 2008 2:15 p.m.

As a BYU fan in big 12 country, I am glad Utah killed USU. USU is a shame to the region. They schedule these big games all over the country and get destroyed. It makes football look like a joke and it makes USU look like a "cheap date" just showing up to get the paycheck and get their tails kicked. It isn't football anymore it is "shooting fish in a barrel". USU needs to scrap the football program and save the tax payers and boosters the money. They could get a lot more for their money and just invest in what they do well. Take some notes from BYUI and get rid of all the programs which aren't legitimate. Just an idea. The uofu destroyed them and someone needs to make some decisions because there isn't any more blood to shed out of that dead cow in Logan!

• Red Aggie
    Sept. 14, 2008 2:06 p.m.

I am a Ute fan.
    My bro-in-law is an Aggie booster.
    I was able to watch the game from his new endzone suite last night. Pretty nice digs. I had the opportunity to meet and talk with the Barnes (Aggie AD) and I came away very impressed with him as well as his staff. They are very committed to turning things around and were not shy about letting everyone know that the product on the field is not acceptable. The new endzone facility is just the start of turning things around. While the Aggies were horrific last night in every aspect, I suspect that Barnes will be able to improve the program over the next few years. As a Ute, I'll be pulling for the Ags to do so.

• BYU Tru Blu
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:55 p.m.

I chose the above name so you will know where my alliagence lies. This is in responce to "Utes Rock." Utah has a great program and I even cheer for them against non-conference foes since I like the Mountain West to excell. However, you, Utes Rock, got it all wrong about running up the score. Bronco pulled Hall and a lot of other starters in the middle of the 3rd. quarter and never put them back in. He is a class act and treats all with great respect. He could have left Hall in to set a new touchdown pass record but pulled him even though it was virtually assured that he would have done so. When did Utah send in their 2nd. and 3rd. stringers? Putting in the BYU subs could have risk the shutout but that did not matter. Also, please note, UCLA knocked off, then, #18 Tennesee last week. When have the Aggies knocked off anyone? They are not in the same league at all. Go Cougars!! Good luck Aggies.

• JT
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:48 p.m.

I'm another BYU fan who heard that Utah executed a fake punt. That wouldn't really matter to me--at least they did it in the first half when they were up only a couple of touchdowns, right? I think anything is fair game in the first half when the game is still in question. For those who think trying to score with a short clock in the first half is running up the score, well, MAYBE if the opponent is Utah State. But certainly not against a team that may well have the ability to score 42 points in the second half if they do some things differently and the turnovers suddenly go their way. I thought Mendenhall pulling Max Hall halfway through the third quarter was just the right time to do it, even though the score at that time of 49-0 would not have shocked the pollsters nearly as much if it had ended that way. And remember, no points were scored in the fourth quarter. Anyone who thinks BYU ran up the score is simply allowing emotion to win over logic.

• re:to: cougar Kieth and Baloney
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:43 p.m.

I saw Bronco use those timeouts before the half.

...and your point is?

You always play all out before the half, then check your momentum after the second half starts before you pull the horses.

Kyle does not understand this and pulls cheap stuf in the second half to run up the score, even after the other coach pulls his horses and "throws in the towell".

Talk to your coach.

• re re big AL
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:35 p.m.

of the two teams, who was the last to have an undefeated season? Oh yeah.

• re: BCS's Fault
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:34 p.m.

Just curious, how did Bronco run up a score?

The last TD pass was thrown in the 3rd quarter by Gaskins, and BYU held back, using ball controll int eh 4th to avoid running up the score.

Check the dictionary and Under Class, they have a picture of Bronco.

He could have rolled up on a demoralized UCLA team, but realized that wasn't needed, and Nuheisel commented on it post game and appreciated it.

The same can't be said for Kyle in both the UNLV and USU games. Let's not forget WYO last year.

Kyle has issues that need to be dealt with.

• re: Big Al
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:25 p.m.

Let's hope that the Utes can finally hold up their end of the equation.

Undefeated? BYU has shown they can go undefeated through MWC play the last two years.

Let's hope Utah can.

And since re: at 1:15 has alluded to alma maters, I went to CSUSB, earned a post grad degree at GCU in Ariizona. :)

• re: re:to cougar keith and Balon
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:15 p.m.

well we know who his alma mater is :)

• Re: baloney
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:00 p.m.

Grow up my friend. This isn't little league or high school football. Mercy rules don't apply. Coaches are coaching to keep their jobs. Players are playing for their future (NFL). If you can't handle a blowout, then you shouldn't be watching college football.

• re:To Cougar Keith and Baloney
    Sept. 14, 2008 12:51 p.m.

Bronco pulling his starters midway through the third, and did not score any points in the fourth quarter.

Hall could have set many records.

Meanwhile, Utah scored 14 points agains USU in the 4th, and had a trick play against UNLV to run up the score. Who can forget the onside kick by Wyoming.

I have no idea who Kyle is trying to impress, but he is becoming the most low class person in college football..

I have no expectations of you Ute fans understanding class.

I'm just happy he represents Utah and not any other State college.

• QB
    Sept. 14, 2008 12:45 p.m.

Re; USU fan, do you know anything about football? You must be a soccer player. Guy has proved over the last 3 seasons that he is as bad at coaching as he is at judging talent. He used a punter at QB for three years and now he is using his best receiver as a part time QB. His top running back and #2 receiver last year were 3rd string players and would not have played if it were not for injuries. He has had the same game plan for every game and does not change it at half time even when they are down by 30 points. He should be playing the best players and adapting his offense to the players not trying to make them play his non successful offense that every opponent knows better than there own.

• Ute
    Sept. 14, 2008 12:43 p.m.

I think that USU fan has a few good points. The USU defense was okay. The problem lies in the lack of offense. It the defense is on the field the whole time then they will get fatigued and that enables the other team to do well.
    I really was confused at the thinking of the coach for the aggies at not keeping the same QB in. That has to make it hard for the QB to get settled in the game and for the rest of the offense to have a leader to look to. Just pick one and let that player develop.
    As for Mr Baloney, the game at WY last year was amusing. The WY coach was talking up a storm and his team couldn't prove they had it to back him up. And to show his maturity, he flips Whit off. Yeah, mature. This is NCAA college, not little league.

• re nervous
    Sept. 14, 2008 12:22 p.m.

I'm with ya, and I'm super nervous about special teams other than Louie!

• It's the BCS's Fault!
    Sept. 14, 2008 12:18 p.m.

Dont't blame Whit or Bronco for running up scores. It is the fault of the amlighty BCS that makes this necessary.

Go Utes! Go Cougars! What a great year. Can't wait for November. The handful of bitter Y fans should shut up and enjoy the ride.

• USU Fan
    Sept. 14, 2008 12:07 p.m.

I do have to say that i am very proud of our defense. They played awesome in the second quarter and just ran out of energy on the Utes last drive of the half. Guy is a good coach, i just can't figure out what he is trying to do at quarterback. He just needs to go to Borel and let him make mistakes instead of yanking the kid in and out. He can't get into any rhythm when he can't consistently be the quarterback. I think Guy's biggest mistakes are his decisions at quarterback the last few years. He just needs to get some body experience so next year we can have a good quarterback. I have to agree with everyone that Guy needs show more ability to teach the Aggies how to win, but i am not sure he needs to be fired. Who is going to replace him. another Loser? If we had someone who was better that could replace him i would say get rid of him but no one on this planet that is a good coach wants to coach the Aggies.

• Nervous
    Sept. 14, 2008 11:13 a.m.

Is anybody else nervous that with the game well in hand, Whittingham is leaving starters in? Especially with Johnson's history of injuries.

• To CougarKieth and Baloney
    Sept. 14, 2008 10:58 a.m.

Hello... did you watch your beloved cougars yesterday and their do no wrong coach. Pretty sure he called timeouts to end the half ensuring his team scored another td which by the way put byu up 42 - 0. So don't talk about utah kicking a team when they are down, when byu has just done the same thing. If whit is an embarassment so is bronco. If whit is guilty of running up the score... then so is bronco.. those who live in glass houses should not throw stones...

• Bitter Aggie Fan
    Sept. 14, 2008 10:57 a.m.

Way to go Utes for beating us in football. But we kicked your trash in hockey 13-2

• Just Me
    Sept. 14, 2008 10:53 a.m.

I was at the game. I love games in Logan. good feeling, but sad there were more Utes fans. Aggie Nation needs to step it up and get better.

• Brian
    Sept. 14, 2008 10:22 a.m.

I could not agree more with Aggiefan74...I listened to Brent Guy talk after the game driving home to SLC and he mentioned that USU "doesn't know how to win". Brent has been there three seasons and three games now, so I think it's reasonable to think that their lack of knowledge to win is Brent Guy's fault. I'd like to know who is dumb enough to think that Guy can turn this program around. If Scott Barnes has any sense at all he will fire Brent Guy today. As a huge Aggie booster I amost find myself rooting for Idaho next week just to prove how pathetic Brent Guy really is. I have never been so ashamed of Aggie football. The program could be so much better than it currently is. Come on Barnes, step up and make something happen.

• Talent Level or Coaching
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:45 a.m.

I see many great athletes and NFL caliber players come through USU (Curtis, Bush, Cooley, Penn, 2 others last season) and I am left to wonder how USU is even in the same realm as the U or BYU when it comes to players taken in the draft (last year we had more)?? I understand it is a team game but my point is we have great athletes all around come through here and in my personal opinion our coaches seem to DROP THE BALL! Late hits, procedure penalties, trash talk (from # 119) all these things point to poor coaching. I obviously think there is a talent difference but my point being that the difference in talent is not as wide as our coaching makes it appear.

Just checked out our new stadium endzone and the other "upgrades" to USU facilities and it looks great but how about a coaching upgrade, realize these things take money and in that regard USU will ALWAYS trail BYU and Utah but we need to cough up enough to at least be competitive-our coaching is poor at best and our "athletes" deserve better!!!

• JCM2000
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:33 a.m.

I'm a Cougar Fan but it sure is nice having two dominant teams in our state. Nice win Utah!

• Nice goin
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:31 a.m.

Nice games, Utes and Cougs. Keep it up and some day we may get some respect. Love to embarrass those PAC teams

• USU
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:30 a.m.

Good Job YEWTS! You clobbered the WORST TEAM in the Nation! Maybe next week you can schedule "Dixie State" or CEU? What a joke!

• Cats
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:29 a.m.

Cougarkeith is not representative of Cougar fans. As a cougar with season tickets, I say CONGRATULATIONS to the Utes. MWC is doing great this year

• Big Al
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:21 a.m.

OK--I admit up front--I'm a dedicated Cougar fan--and I hope no one takes CougarKeith seriously. I applaud the Utes victory over the Aggies. I hope both the Utes and the Cougs are 11-0 when then meet in November! Can you imagine the Holy War if both teams are undefeated???? It will be the greatest battel ever! The Utes have shown they have great talent, and Whittingham is a very good coach. As for the Aggies, don't give up! Things look very dark right now, but look at Notre Dame--they were laughable last year and yesterday they creamed Michigan. Things will get better if you just don't lay down and die!!

• Ute/Aggie home
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:18 a.m.

I don't understand why CougarKeith calls a fake punt cheap? You can practice that play till the cows come home (no offense USU) and still never know if will work until under the pressure of a game situation. The next time the Utes try that play and I hope they do, it could be in a very tight game. This is what makes College Football so fun. The Cougars are always such a bunch of sour grapes or maybe we should say prunes and you know what do Couggies.
    I always hope for the best when USU plays anyone but the Utes, it is a program that has long struggled against the facilities that the U and byu have available for their players. As a Ute Alum I am pleased that the new Laub building is up and functioning. My husband is a big Aggie Alum and we were glad to be invited to the grand opening. I wish the Aggies good luck on the rest of the season.

• baloney
    Sept. 14, 2008 9:14 a.m.

"The Utes used a little trickery along the way when Sakoda completed a 9-yard pass to R.J. Stanford on a broken play (it was supposed to be a punt)..."

Broken play my eye. Sure didn't look like a broken play when they showed it on the news. Sakoda caught the snap, took a step forward like he was going to kick it, just stood there and waited a bit, then threw a pass.

Nice job Coach Whit teaching your players to kick 'em when they're down, especially when you know you're going to win anyway against a program that's been struggling for years. But then weren't we all expecting to see some type of bad sportsmanship from Whit in this game after what he did last year against Wyoming? I guess that will be his legacy.

• Cougar Fan
    Sept. 14, 2008 8:49 a.m.

Man oh man, the Utes and the Cougs are on FIRE this year. It's going to be a GREAT game this November 22nd!

Good luck, Utes! Well, until we meet in November, that is!

• oc_utes
    Sept. 14, 2008 8:46 a.m.

Overall, the MWC wins against non-conference teams yesterday were impressive (with the exception of the SDSU loss). Take UNLV for instance, lost to Utah last week but defeated no 15-ranked team.
    Next hurdle is Air Force, Utah in no doublt has to (and will) beat Air Force.
    Go Utes!

• re: CougarKeith
    Sept. 14, 2008 8:38 a.m.

Just be happy the UCLA did not show up for its game and that it's rebuilding its team...

• ediddy
    Sept. 14, 2008 8:15 a.m.

I'd say it's time for CougarKeith to get a life, but it would fall on deaf ears. After spotting USU an opening touchdown and losing momentum, it was simply good footbal to post up a few extra points against a possible rally. CougarKeith is one of the many BYU fans that make the rest of us look foolish and arrogant. No humility in defeat and no grace in victory. No wonder the Y haters have a field day with Cougar fans when we set ourselves up as such a big target. The only BOOO! goes to you CougarKeith, for your lack of class.
    Go Cougars, Go Utes and go away CougarKeith.

• aggiefan74
    Sept. 14, 2008 7:51 a.m.

Memo to Scott Barns (USU AD): If you have any credibility as a Director of Athletics I beg you to forfeit the balance of the football season. Is a "possible" close win over hapless Idaho going to validate any measure of progress within the program under Brent Guy. What I saw in Romney Stadium last night was not a football game. It was a complete and absolute embarrassment to the University and anyone who cares about a once proud football program. Where do I start-a supposedly in-state rivalry game attended by only 19,000 and change in the 25,500 seat Romney Stadium (most of whom were Utah fans with more than half of all Aggie fans leaving midway in the 3rd quarter); the last two opponents either set, or nearly set, all-time school records for total offense; USU total offense, on the other hand, is pathetic and nonexistant; no enthusiasm shown on the sidelines even when the Aggies had the early lead-I could go on and on but the bottom line is the football program at Utah State University is now the laughing stock of the entire State of Utah and within the Western Athletic Conference. Stop the maddness.

• Go Utes!!
    Sept. 14, 2008 7:21 a.m.

Hay, Ute posters forget about Mr. CougarKeith. We are giving him exactly what he wants...attention. He is also succeeding at generating discussion around his contrived complaint. He has been bashed enough. Any Cougar fan would would get the message by now...well, I think!?!

How about our Utes!!!

It was a great week for the Mountain West Conference. Did you see what UNLV did to Arizona St? After Utah gets through with Oregon St, the PAC 10 will be in a shambles!!

• Big Red
    Sept. 14, 2008 7:10 a.m.

Great performance UTES and congratulations coach Wittingham! Let's get ready for Air Force!!

Go Utes!!!!

• RE CougarKeith
    Sept. 14, 2008 7:04 a.m.

Keith, take of the skirt and learn about football. Did you happen to watch when Appalachian State came back to beat a 9-4 Michigan? Or When BYU was up just ten points in the fourth quarter agains Mighty N. Illinios? Or was it N. Iowa? (Does it matter?). Didn't hear you complaining when BYU ran the score up to 42-0 on UCLA yesterday. You're pissed we pushed a 16 point advantage to 23, when you pushed a 35 point lead to 42? Give me a break. People like you make me sick. Glad the Cougs won. I watched the whole game (I'm a Ute fan, but was raised a Cougar fan, but saw the light and decided to follow the prophets. lol). Please, don't take me too seriously. But do get a clue. You can't critize the Utes for the exact same thing you did earlier in the day.

• Exactly
    Sept. 14, 2008 7:03 a.m.

Good teams always run up the score. Look at Missou. No mercy.

• Utes Rock!!!
    Sept. 14, 2008 6:58 a.m.

We too, are glad you are not a Ute fan, CougarKeith. Go on your own board and complain about BYU running up the score on team just poor, in every respect, as Utah State. You stayed up until this article came out so you could distract the Ute faithful from acknowledging and congratulating their team. Not only is that SHAMEFUL, but your efforts are in vane!!

Congratulations Utes and coach Wittingham, on a great and consistent effort. The results speak for themselves. Clearly, the offense had fun last night just like in 2004, as the article points out. That's great to hear! Go Utes

• Wow
    Sept. 14, 2008 6:48 a.m.

CougarKeith, are you really that clueless??? I don't care who you are playing, but when you are up only 16 points in the first half of any game, you don't show any mercy. Besides, don't be such a hypocrite when your Cougars ran up the score on a clearly pathetic UCLA team. Oh wait, I forgot that by your logic everything BYU does is magical and everything the Utes do is evil. Get a clue. We should all be happy that the Utes and Cougs beat out of conference opponents. It looks good for the MWC. And, if the Utes and Cougs want to stay ranked, they have to pummel weak opponents - like they both did. Lighten up.

• Ryan
    Sept. 14, 2008 5:52 a.m.

Holy crybaby, Batman. That wasn't a "trick," it was a botched punt and Sakoda thought quick on his feet and converted. Jeez, quite whining....

• Aggie Fan
    Sept. 14, 2008 5:31 a.m.

No surprise that a cougar fan is the only one offended by the fake. This is college football and we Aggies expect other teams to give us their best game, even if right now we are not competing. The only problem I have with the fake is that it worked out so well for Utah. I'm sure that the cougars will beat the aggies by a similar margin and some dumb ute fan will make the same comment about you guys.

• Blake
    Sept. 14, 2008 2:41 a.m.

Whittingham an embarrassment? that's a lame comment. Utah is ranked 22 and moving up how is that embarrassing?

• CougarKeith
    Sept. 14, 2008 1:11 a.m.

Utah is cheap with their Fake Punt against Utah State late in the second quarter, knowing they get the ball to start the second half with a 16 point lead against the mighty Aggies who rank right up there with the likes of the Cougars and the Wolverines and the Trojans and Sooners, No wonder they pulled such a surprise so late in the half to open up a bigger lead! SHAME ON THEM... Kyle Whittingham is an embarrassment to the Utes and it's school, lets throw in the state as well, BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I would be ashamed to call myself a Ute fan, glad I am not.... Less of one after that call!