Utah

Into the wind — State's first wind farm selling power to PacificCorp grid

Comments

• Kevin
    Aug. 29, 2008 7:00 a.m.

I drove by earlier this summer and saw the turbines were from Suzlon Energy, an India company whose customers have complained that their turbines have control problems, fail to generate anywhere near the amount of electricity expected, and suffer from excessive vibrations during high winds. I'm curious if the Spanish Fork project has had similar experiences.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 29, 2008 9:04 a.m.

This article doesn't do a very good job of explaining the actual power production. It says it will operate about 80% of the time, but at what capacity? I'm sure it does not produce the full 19 MW 80% of the time.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 29, 2008 10:56 a.m.

This canyon is capable of having more turbines than this. Utah ought to get all the turbines it can.

• American Patriot
    Aug. 29, 2008 11:34 a.m.

Wind power is a complete joke. Windmills are ugly and very inefficient. To put them right next to the road where they defile our landscape is a disgrace. We can do better than this. Let's drill for our own oil and natural gas and build more nuclear power plants. Please, no more windmills in our beautiful state.

• Kevin
    Aug. 29, 2008 12:43 p.m.

I think wind farms are stunning to see. BTW, I keep saying this... a windmill is a mill powered by wind. A wind turbine generates electricity. I'm not aware of any mills at the mouth of Spanish Fork. But windmills are cool looking too.

• Windsurfer
    Aug. 29, 2008 3:07 p.m.

We need more of these. And soon. The best thing to do would be for the government to take the lead in creating and developing an "interstate superhighway" system of transmission grids that can transport wind power when it is available to where it is needed. Google "Pickens Plan" for more details.

• tlove
    Aug. 30, 2008 9:04 a.m.

Does anyone remember the giant windmill that was being built a top of Sugerloaf Mtn West of Holden,Utah?
    Maybe we should try again to capture windpower, it was a good idea then ( 1930's)a better idea now!

• Nice
    Aug. 30, 2008 7:18 p.m.

I'm with Kevin. I find wind turbines far more attractive than smoke stacks or cooling towers. Whenever and wherever we can we should build wind farms. It would be foolish not to.

• tlove
    Sept. 1, 2008 3:22 p.m.

I live in Rexburg,Idaho,there is 21 windmills up above Idaho Falls,Idaho, from what I hear the biggest expense is maintance which is very expensive and they are down alot?

• johnny deep
    Sept. 2, 2008 9:41 a.m.

Well it's the biggest wind-farm if you exclude the Utah Legislature!