Sports

Dick Harmon: Latu hopes 'dreams' can survive

Comments

• Kahotea Family
    Sept. 7, 2008 7:13 a.m.

Kiaora & Maloelelei to the Latu family,
    This is the first time I've ever read any article in the Deseret News & quite the humble experience it has been...our hearts prayers will be with your precious daughter Kina & your family. May you be blessed with all you stand in need of.
    Warmest hugs from my family to yours
    x0x0x0x0...Joy, Richard, Landen, Anila, Novalee, Nataria, Saralise & Melikiola.

• Crystal T and Zak
    Aug. 28, 2008 2:49 p.m.

Sorry we're so late... this is a beautiful article and we are praying for you guys especially baby kina... we love you and will be up there to visit soon... take care stay strong...

• Uncle John and Auntie Anne
    Aug. 28, 2008 1:32 p.m.

Mary and Wayne,
    Anne and I just returned from British Columbia, Canada and got the news that Baby Kina was born. Congratulations to you both. We are so excited to see her! We plan on being in Provo for Wayne and Michaels game in October. Please tell baby Kina that we love her very much and that we can't wait to see her. We are praying for you and baby Kina! We love you all so much.
    Love Uncle John and Auntie Anne!!!

• latu family fan
    Aug. 26, 2008 7:02 p.m.

President Samuelson is a long time family friend of the Latu family, they were in the same ward together for many years, any suggestions that is is media or pr related is way off base

• Latu is my new fav player
    Aug. 26, 2008 10:56 a.m.

On and off the field. Every time he is in, I will be pulling for him.

• Former Cougar
    Aug. 25, 2008 7:30 p.m.

As a former member of the BYU football team I know that President Samuelson has a very close relationship with Wayne. Wayne has been the silent leader of the football team every year he has been at BYU in terms of service oriented activities. This has given him the opportunity to grow close to Pres. Samuelson.

• Re: Observer
    Aug. 25, 2008 5:27 p.m.

I guess I'm the only one who did see that as an honest question, since supposedly the efficacy of a Priesthood blessing is not contingent upon the office of the person giving the blessing. I am glad to hear that Pres. Samuelson does attempt to visit BYU students in the hospital, and it would certainly make more immediate sense if he had been their home teacher at one point. But I remember the Haloti Ngata saga and Pres. Monson, for whom Ngata's mother worked, offering to give him a (non-health-related) blessing. Not knowing the full story, of course, I wondered if it were necessary for Pres. Monson to go out of his way to do that. Perhaps Haloti did not have another worthy Priesthood holder available for one, although it didn't sound like he had sought that himself. Could my view on this matter be clouded by the fact that he lied to the BYU coaches up until signing day? Perhaps.

• Heartfelt Empathy
    Aug. 25, 2008 12:21 p.m.

My prayers are with the Latu family! Hang in there! September 1st will mark the 16th birthday of my daughter who was born with gastroschisis (the intestines etc. on the outside of the body), at UofU Hospital and treated at Primary Children's. Kina is in the hands of the best doctors, nurses and staff in the world. I can't say enough positive about those people!

Because of miracles and those skilled people I have a beautiful daughter who is an active sophomore in high school, a three sport athlete, and a wonderful inspiration to all of us.

I pray that you may realize the same blessing of raising this wonderful little spirit. I'll be cheering for you this season both on and off the field. A lifelong Cougar!

• Unbelieveable
    Aug. 25, 2008 10:33 a.m.

My heart and thoughts go out to the Latu family at this time.

I can't believe that someone would use this article as an opportunity to try to take a cheap shot at the LDS church or Pres. Samuelson. Although I don't know Pres. Samuelson, I know that a previous BYU president visited with my family when my brother experienced a tragedy while he was a BYU student. It was not something that anyone ever really knew about and never had any publicity. Just a concerned university president looking after a student. My guess is that Pres. Samuelson is the same way. In fact, based on my experience, pretty much every university/college president around the country is the same way.

Anyway, to "Observer" just two words: go away. Take your agenda somewhere else and don't harass a family that is dealing with a genuinely difficult time.

• Uncle Mike
    Aug. 24, 2008 11:59 p.m.

Wayne and Mary - I know this is tough, but we all love you and are praying for all of you and especially little Kina. I'm sure Kina is an inspiration to eveyone at the NICU and she is an inspiration to all of us in California. I can't wait to meet her. Love from UMike, Laura, Meg, Jack and Sam.

• Another answerr
    Aug. 24, 2008 11:43 p.m.

I believe that President Samuelson was Wayne's home teacher when he was living at home. They have been ward-family members for several years.

• Latu Friend-Okie
    Aug. 24, 2008 10:42 p.m.

I know his Dad and some of the sisters. They are a most deserving family I know, in my opinion. My heart goes out to you, Wayne, your wife, and your daughter. I know that if he was given a chance on the football field he would deliver in classic Latu style. Probably on any other team Wayne would be starting in the backfield. The Latu family are my friends and I am sad that this happened. My prayers are with you, Wayne.

• the answer
    Aug. 24, 2008 9:37 p.m.

Observer: in answer to your question, yes, Samuelson visits every BYU student who is ill, or has an ill child in the hospital. And, if time permits, he visits all of their parents too. Yes, he visits every single on of them. Now, does that answer your question?

• pratt family from Orem/Lindon
    Aug. 24, 2008 9:16 p.m.

Wayne-you have always been such a sweet example in your family!! We feel lucky to know you and your family and pray all will be well with your newest little one. love, julie (pratt) hepworth from texas and all the pratts from orem. love you all!

• LV Cougarfan
    Aug. 24, 2008 8:55 p.m.

Wayne, my heart goes out to you. My wife and I know exactly what you're going through; our first son was 8 weeks early. You will be amazed at the miracles they can perform at Newborn ICU's these days. The key for us was to be with the newborn as much as possible. The nurses and doctors were amazingly helpful. My wife and I wish you and your family the best.

• Cal Coug
    Aug. 24, 2008 7:48 p.m.

To Observer: Nice try. An "honest" question, asked in a typical, "make sure to criticize Church leaders at every opportunity" way. Latu is a 3rd stringer, hardly deserving of media attention. The visit by Samuelson was arranged before anyone in the media knew about it. Grow up and find ways to improve yourself instead of putting others down.

• Observer
    Aug. 24, 2008 7:14 p.m.

This was rejected by the DB (we know best) censors last time and I don't know why.

Everyone should have sympathy for the parents that have a child or baby in hospital. That really goes without saying.

But honestly, I want to know or was wondering if Samuelson visits every BYU student who has child in the hospital or Just those that get media attention?

This is just an honest question. Does any one know?

• Latu
    Aug. 24, 2008 6:55 p.m.

This man and his family are winners in every way. What a privilege it is to have him represent us on and off the field.

• Meme & family
    Aug. 24, 2008 6:41 p.m.

Wayne and Mary are great examples of love, kindness and service to many. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their beautiful little daughters.

• Kimberly & Will
    Aug. 24, 2008 4:31 p.m.

We are blessed to know Mary's family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Latu family at this time. We're rooting for Kina to have a full recovery!!

• Ty
    Aug. 24, 2008 1:46 p.m.

I am an associate of Wayne and the Latu family. This article describes the Wayne I have always seen and known. He is truly an amazing individual and our prayers go out to him and his family at this time. Keep up the positive attitude Latus. We love you.

• Brittany & Scott
    Aug. 24, 2008 1:33 p.m.

Our hopes and prayers go out to Wayne, Mary, and their two daughters! We are grateful to them and the example of love and service they are to us all. May your sweet baby be blessed with all the health and strength she needs!!

• cougar from brazil
    Aug. 24, 2008 4:38 a.m.

our prayers are with the Latu family all the way from Brasilia, Brazil.

• D Korth
    Aug. 24, 2008 2:54 a.m.

We are praying for your family and little daughter. You are an inspiration to us all. Thanks