Sports

Utah Jazz: Boozer not ruling out European offers

Comments

• to buster ...
    Aug. 18, 2008 5:24 p.m.

Malone not that good?? Say what? I can see that your basketball IQ is challenged at best. Karl Malone is second in scoring in the NBA next to Kareem Jabbar. Karl Malone was the heart, soul and substance of the Utah Jazz for over a decade. Without Malone the Jazz wouldn't have even made the playoffs for pete sake for most the years. I guess in your mind Michael Jordan was just ok.

• laughable !!
    Aug. 18, 2008 5:13 p.m.

Saying your going to dump your 68 mil NBA contact and go play in Europe is like an NFL player saying he would rather go play for the Grey Cup in Canada. Say what?? European basketball is the NBA minor leagues so why would any player want to opt out of his sweet NBA contract to go ride the bus in the European leagues? Who cares if they pay well -- it Europe man!!

• AL
    Aug. 13, 2008 11:41 p.m.

If the Jazz could just get Carlos Boozer to play like Karl Malone like D-Will has already taken Stocktons place, who knows what the JAZZ could do. The bench we have now compared to the Stockton to Malone years is by far superior... With Karl and John with the current supporting cast the JAZZ would have the NBA Title. Carlos needs the heart Karl had. D-Will has got Stocktons drive and ambition.

The JAZZ need to take advantage of the opportunity because they may never get another chance. Play for the Title and not just for the money, so you can leave the JAZZ and the NBA with a little dignity and class.

• Old School in Augusta, GA
    Aug. 13, 2008 1:57 p.m.

Carlos and I graduated from the same HS. I thought the jazz made a mistake when they didn't draft him - and I was very glad when they finally got him because he was (I thought) the closest thing to Karl Malone at the time.
    During last reg season, I posted that he is playing like he's "too cool" (or THINKS he is) to move his feet quicker as well as strengthen his hands (to reduce turnovers, etc).
    While he may be a decent person, he reminds me of how society's values have plummeted.
    I really miss the character we had in Hornacek and Stockton.
    When Jerry leaves, I'm thru with the NBA.

• tray
    Aug. 12, 2008 1:03 p.m.

this is sports people it is always about the money and most of u are hypocrits for the money these guys are getting most of u would leave ur family let alone a team

• Boring
    Aug. 11, 2008 3:56 p.m.

Yawn (scratch, scratch, scratch). Someone wake me up on August 30th, when we will finally have some real sports stories (i.e. real games) to enjoy and talk about. This has got to be the LONGEST month of the year, which explains why we are subjected to such non-story articles as this one. Wow, Carlos Boozer would "consider" going to Europe "if the money was right". Shocking. And in other news, ute fans are still insecure, the aggies are still awful, and water is still wet. Anyone want to lay any bets on Boozer playing in Italy in two years? Ya, I didn't think so. Lets just all decide that if there's nothing worthwile going on in sports, to just not read the sports page. And maybe all sports writers should just take the month of August off.

• Anonymous
    Aug. 10, 2008 5:11 p.m.

Malone and Stockton weren't good? I guess that's why when he was older than death malone still managed 14/15 points a game on a much younger Laker's team?

No one will argue that if he were healthy for that whole season, they would have won...

Oh I'm sorry, Stockton has what? 5,000 more assists than the next player on the list... and probably 7-8 thousand more than the next active player.

• buster.
    Aug. 10, 2008 1:52 p.m.

I hate this.

I agree with Buckeye.

Put Dron at point, bet one of our young centers to focus on defense, and Any 4 could play in that system and excell.

Malone, Boozer were neither that good. The system gave them a life.

If Boozer leaves, he becomes a nobody.

And don't buy into his staying for Deron. He left Lebron.

His wife is the Business end, she makes the business decisions, and to her, he is just a widget to be marketed.

• Buckeye Fan
    Aug. 10, 2008 9:20 a.m.

Let's get real here people. We all work at our jobs for one reason...the money. There is no loyalty in the business world or sports. Those times are gone. It's the bottom line for both. With the mega contracts that sports figures receive, it pushes reality out the door. If you can double your salary by going overseas, why not. So the money issue always comes first. But look at what Carlos says..."if it goes down with my wife!" CC wears the pants in that family and she doesn't like Utah. Booze will play where CC wants him to play. Booze, being a 20 and 10 guy would be welcomed by any team. I have to believe that he is gone after this year.

As far as his defense, back off a bit. It's not the greatest but who on the Jazz does play good constant defense? The problem is we haven't had a defensive, shot blocking center since Eaton. Why do you think Stockton had so many steals? He could cheat a lot knowing Eaton was back there. If we had a center, Boozer's defense would never be a question because of what he can do offensively. Bye Booze!!!!!

• James Naismith
    Aug. 10, 2008 6:11 a.m.

His soft defensive game belongs in Europe.

• rvalen2
    Aug. 10, 2008 3:17 a.m.

It's time to let Boozer go.

To me this is not about the money. Boozer is just way too soft on defense and isn't worth a MAX contract.

If Boozer wants a better deal than what the Jazz can offer. Tell him to take a hike, I'd rather spend the money to keep Millsap.

• re:Re: No prob with Booze's Comm
    Aug. 10, 2008 1:38 a.m.

I'd make my deal, pack my things, and shut out the lights.

I wouldn't stay at my place of employment throwing my business all out on the street for a year.

That would be tacky.

• Booooooooooze
    Aug. 10, 2008 1:35 a.m.

My wife is a CIA operative, and can read lips.

She swore she could read Boozer's lips during the opening cerimony, and swears he was saying:

"I'm gonna take you on a trip so far from here,
    I've got two tickets in my pocket, now baby, we're gonna disappear.
    We've waited so long, waited so long.
    We've waited so long, waited so long.

I've got two tickets to paradise,
    Won't you pack your bags, we'll leave tonight,
    I've got two tickets to paradise,
    I've got two tickets to paradise."

Hit the road, Jack.

• I'm sorry
    Aug. 10, 2008 1:28 a.m.

Boozer is just not that good.

I would love to see the same team we have without him.

• Some STUPID FANS
    Aug. 10, 2008 1:04 a.m.

Trade booze to whom? People keep saying trade booze, but are u getting the same value? This isn't NBA live in ps3 game that you can trade players and get players that u want.

Some fans here wanted to trade booze or ak47, or cj miles, or even change coach sloan. If I where u, change your favorite team instead of changing jazz roster.

• C'mon you all...
    Aug. 9, 2008 10:23 p.m.

I swear, some of you Jazz fans are more sensitive than a bitchy woman on her period.
    Booz said he would consider it, of course if the money is right...

Who wouldn't, it's a business. Enjoy the Booz while he's here. You think he stays in Ut cuz he likes it???

• Jimmy Z
    Aug. 9, 2008 10:20 p.m.

Get rid of Boozer and Sloan....and lets hire
    a new coach with a new style for DWILL

• Boozer Inc.
    Aug. 9, 2008 9:09 p.m.

Well Jazz brass please help Carlos reach his financial goals by trading him for someone who wants to win.

• Trade HIM!!
    Aug. 9, 2008 7:38 p.m.

Come on Jazz Brass, trade him while you can and while you can get some value in a trade...

• One Who Reads
    Aug. 9, 2008 6:38 p.m.

To Arrivaderci Carlos:

Didn't you mean "pack your bags" rather than "back your bags"?

• Arrivaderci Carlos
    Aug. 9, 2008 3:52 p.m.

Please back your bags and leave tonight. Your soft style of play is much better suited to the European game.

• Re: No prob with Booze's Comment
    Aug. 9, 2008 2:38 p.m.

You've been at your place of employment for 4 years. For the most part, you're very happy and content on staying. Then one day you receive a phone call from someone saying that they'll pay you conisderable more money to work for them. It requires you move, possibly even out of the country. 3 options as I see it:
    1) Take the money and new opportunit
    2) Don't take the money, but leverage the offer to gain more money where you are
    3) You're too loyal to your company to get into a bidding war (and before you scoff that notion, FYI, there are people that feel that way) and you decline to stay where you are without fanfare.

Which is the best option? Of those ripping on Booze, I'm sure there are some that fit in each of these 3 categories. I agree with "No problem with Booze's Comment" when he writes, "sorry to burst your bubble but these guys play basketball for a living even though sometimes as fans we like to think the players are uniting with the fans of their team in a battle for good and evil. "

• get a grip
    Aug. 9, 2008 2:34 p.m.

You clueless nerds need to wake up. Lebron, Wade, Kobe, just to name a few, have all dropped the Euro bomb b-4 Boozer. Wade is on record as saying "Childress is making the same money he is now and if the Euro's are going to throw around figures like they've suggested for LeBron, he'd have to consider it. If you can't see it all as a negotiating ploy, you need glasses. And for you cubicle keyboard ticklers that think players should leave a little on the table for support players I've got a question. While you're swinging on Deron's jock, ask him why he didn't leave any!!

• Ing
    Aug. 9, 2008 1:21 p.m.

I can't believe the comment I made a half hour ago didn't get posted but "King Black" made it in.

Calling Boozer what you did? Low-class. Go cheer for somebody else.

He's only being honest. I don't want to see him go, but if he wants to leave the Jazz when his contract is up, he has the right to. He didn't say he *would* leave, anyway--just that he'd CONSIDER any good offer if his wife liked it.

Hope this one makes it in.

• It's all about the money
    Aug. 9, 2008 12:30 p.m.

This is just another example of Boozer caring more about money than winning. Never mind that the Jazz have been paying him over $10 million a year, never mind that the Jazz reached the Western Conf. finals last year, never mind that the Jazz organization is second to none in this league, never mind that Deron Williams is a premier point guard in this league and the Jazz possibly have more overall talent than any other NBA team right now. Despite all this, Boozer says, "It's a business decision." What a loser. I hope he's gone after next year. He can take his utter lack of defense, ego, and horrible attitude and go overseas for all I care. His goal should be to win a championship, not to make the best business decision. Good riddance.

• Ing
    Aug. 9, 2008 12:24 p.m.

He said he'd CONSIDER it, and that as a matter of business, he'd consider any good offer. Doesn't mean he'll take it, just that he'd think it over.

Maybe he will leave the Jazz when his contract expires. If so, he has a right to do that. It's a business. If you could get a job you liked in a location you liked, and for more money, you'd be gone in a heartbeat. Don't try to tell me you wouldn't.

Heck, if I was in Boozer's place, I might leave just to get away from idiot "fans" who don't recognize that they've got one of the top 5 power forwards in the game.

• King Black
    Aug. 9, 2008 10:59 a.m.

Well if everyone is in it for the money why are some players in the NBA excepting less money so there teams can try to use the extra money else where to better there roster.
    I hate to say cause I always backed UTah players but trade this piece of shiza Boozer I cant believe he said that. At least show some respect to some of your teammates who said they want you back, by at least not saying that stuff to the media.

• johnh
    Aug. 9, 2008 10:54 a.m.

Boozer has good sense. Go where the money is. I doubt that the Money is in Europe, but is it is, so be it.

Hos many of you would go to Europe to do the same job you do here if you could make a couple of million more per year?

You wouldn't? Then you are stupid.

• Give me a break!
    Aug. 9, 2008 10:12 a.m.

Give me a break, buddy. This is negotiation 101! Find your alternatives and let the opposing party know you have them. Boozer is running a business!

• No problem with Booze's comment
    Aug. 9, 2008 9:48 a.m.

• Carlos Loozer
    Aug. 9, 2008 9:48 a.m.

Folks, just prepare now. Boozer is gone next year. But just think, maybe he will try to play some sort of defense this year to make himself more marketable.

• Hmmm, and thats a surprise?
    Aug. 9, 2008 8:59 a.m.

He would have played for Iran had the money been right.

Europe would be perfect for the Booooooz. He wouldn't be able to understand people upset by his lack of heart, greed, his efforts errrrrrr, lack of efforts at defense, and lack of loyalty.

Boooooooz-ERRRRR, enjoy watching the Olympics basketball team from the pine. Maybe you may learn something. I guess Clevelands name of "Benedict Boozer" does fit you. I for one do not believe you are worth 68 Mil in Monopoly money.

• At least...
    Aug. 9, 2008 8:20 a.m.

he is being honest about it. With millions and millions of dollars, a person's gotta be crazy to say, it's not about the money...

• Buck
    Aug. 9, 2008 8:11 a.m.

After Miller's comments yesterday saying "he absolutely wouldn't get over the luxury tax threshold," it's a given he won't be able to keep the team together as we know it now. What do you expect Boozer to say??.... aw heck, I'll just work for the vet's minimum.

• re:I cant believe you Booze
    Aug. 9, 2008 7:55 a.m.

Everyone, not just Booze, is in it for the money. Yes, even all the Jazz fans' darling, D-Will. What else does a max contract mean? If we would have offered D-Will anything less than the full amount (an average of 16 mil a year instead of 18 mil for example), he would have played out his contract and left next year. Booze gets bashed too much here as it is for his defense. Don't bash just him for this money first approach.

• Moneygrip Bozo
    Aug. 9, 2008 7:16 a.m.

Booze shows where his heart is...I hope we trade him to a team like memphis or indiana

• jazzrule
    Aug. 9, 2008 6:44 a.m.

Ahhhh the light comes on. Now if all the Jazz fans would take off their rose colored glasses and except the truth. Boozer making 12 million a season is not enough to stay with the Jazz. Don't expect playing with Williams to have any effect on his decision to stay, but look for him to go to the highest bidder period.

Greg Miller make a good business decision and see what we can get for him NOW.

• I cant believe you Booze
    Aug. 9, 2008 12:30 a.m.

I guess Boozer is in it for the money. He said it himself. "If my wife was down with it and the MONEY was right". So I guess we can not count on Boozer be there next season. Best thing is to trade him for some value before we get nothing out of it.