Utah Utes football: U. to play Notre Dame in 2010

Utes make room for Irish by suspending USU series until '12

• re: re: To BYU & Utah Fans
    Jan. 12, 2010 5:36 p.m.

re: And your wish to see utah back at the top like when Urban was there will come true - just as soon as Urban becomes utah's HC again. In other words, never.

Ha! They won another BCS game without Meyer. I bet you feel stupid.

• re: To BYU & Utah Fans
    Aug. 5, 2008 11:15 a.m.

And let me ask you a question: If BYU's NC in 1984 wan't real, then how many "real" national championships does any D1A team in the country have? Answer: NONE! Why? Because it's decided by a bunch of VOTERS and COMPUTERS instead of the way it should be: with a playoff! So BYU's NC is just as valid as most if not all the others.

• To BYU & Utah Fans
    Aug. 2, 2008 11:30 p.m.

Both are second rate teams with second rate coaches in a second rate conference. Not that their player are second rate.
    All you have to ask yourselves is how many championships (Real ones BYU, not because of a fluke or really bad schedule) do you have. That's the bottom line. ND may be down right now, but they'll have a top ten team eventually. They're still getting over their mismanagement caused by Willingham. USC is always a powerhouse. So is Florida & Fla State. When you can compete with those types of teams on a regular bases then you can smack talk.
    That being said, I would love to see Utah back at the top like they were when Urban was here.

• re: To: Utah ND
    Aug. 1, 2008 4:51 p.m.

well, once you can beat a UCLA team with it 4th string QB by more than a blocked field goal you can go and schedule more worthy opponents, Utah schedules a top tier big 10 opponent on the road, and goes in with the attitude that they will win......Utes will go Undefeated and the TDS will have two losses, one to the Utes and one to a terrible UCLA team.

• Go Irish !!!
    Aug. 1, 2008 1:49 p.m.

This is great news! A cupcake game for the Irish that late in the season - good times!!!

• ute fan
    Aug. 1, 2008 10:06 a.m.

yes!! this is way good! it just could not be better! this is cool.

Aug. 1, 2008 10:06 a.m.

• Latin 101
    July 31, 2008 4:19 p.m.

"veritas" means "truth". Let's see if our little zoobie sister "To: Utah ND" knows what she's talking about:

'They play the Cougs in Provo, because a win would help their image becasue the Cougs have *TRUTH* in the world of Big Time college football...'

Nope. She doesn't.

If the Irish wanted to play the TDS, the TDS would have been on their schedule.

• To: Utah ND
    July 31, 2008 3:25 p.m.

Get real, ND would schedule anybody anytime if the program has some veritas that lends to the Irish lore if they win. The utes offer nothing for the ND. Win, well they should, and in the unlikely event they should lose to 25,000 screaming Irish fans at RES then they would really be humiliated. They play the Cougs in Provo, because a win would help their image because the Cougs have veritas in the world of Big Time college football, the utes basicly are nobodies in the world of Big Time college football. FACT, live with it ute fans (the three or four of you that are out there.)

• Re: Arrogant Cougar
    July 30, 2008 7:03 p.m.

You got me there, it is a Deseret News Forum. My bad. Secondly, "Sherlock", if you can learn to read just a little I said "arrogant cougars". Now if you actually read the comment I posted I said I have the same problem with Ute fans going into BYU stories and talking down their program like it's nothing. Because we both know BYU football is actually very very good, and you're probably just as tired as I am of "arrogant Utes" going into a BYU story forum and talking crap. Am I right? I thought so. So with that said, learn to actually read not take something so completely out of context. I love talking with Cougar fans about how the BYU program is doing and the Utah program. I just hate bashing all around. That's where the "arrogant cougar" came from. Forgive me for not making myself clear, Dad.

• Utah ND
    July 30, 2008 6:14 p.m.

first of all , i like the fact that my utes are scheduling big opponents year in and year out......second, ND wont schedule a game at RES because when they would go in there, they'd lose. Utah has no problem beating teams in RES, which would scare ND. (just ask UCLA)..but i do agree that BYU is the only team that plays the Utes tough year in and year out.
    GO UTES!!!

• Arrogant Cougar Fan
    July 30, 2008 5:22 p.m.

First off, this isn't a Ute forum. This is a Deseret News forum. Arrogance is taking a "story" on the Deseret News and claiming it to be a Ute forum.

Secondly, Sherlock, I love your statement: "And if you're an arrogant Cougar, please, go read your media guide and leave the discussion to those that have half a mind."

So, judging by your own comments, you want Cougar fans -- arrogant or otherwise -- to leave the discussion to those with half a mind.

Well, I've got to hand it to you for pointing out the obvious. Because if Cougar fans left this discussion solely to the Ute homers, only those with a half a mind would be commenting.

Does that make me arrogant for pointing that out?

• Loch Ness Monster
    July 30, 2008 5:12 p.m.

It's clearly been pointed out several times where the BYU-Notre Dame info came from. Go back and read through if you want to know. Don't expect us to point it out every time someone brings up the same question.

• Green-eyed monsters in Provostan
    July 30, 2008 4:32 p.m.

I've checked every media sports outlet I know. I can't find ANY substance to the claim Notre Dame backed out of a series with BYU for a one-off home meet against the Utes. I don't even see any hint of BYU EVER on the Irish's future schedules. I'm afraid I'm going to have to call B.S. on all those arrogant and easily led cougar fans.

• Re Bowling
    July 30, 2008 4:17 p.m.

That was the funniest freaking thing I've read all day!!! Finally something Ute fans and Cougar fans can agree on: Stupid people just can't talk about football at all!!!

• Bowling
    July 30, 2008 3:41 p.m.

Hey throw prolate spheroid, let's whine and cry about bowling too because they do not even use bowls at all, instead they roll a heavy round ball down floors which they erroneously call an "alley" (doesn't look like any alley I'm familar with) and when they knock down all the "pins" (actually clubs because they don't look like any pins I've ever used) they call it a "strike" (why not "all clubs down"; what did some employees go on strike?). Hey look at me I can be stooopid too.

• Anonymous
    July 30, 2008 2:39 p.m.

RE Throw Prolate Spheroid

Dude are you high? go back to England or where ever it is where you came from!!!!

• Re; Re; Re: Bruins Calling
    July 30, 2008 2:30 p.m.

Ok, what I'm confused about is where exactly the whole UCLA game came from? WHO CARES!!!! This isn't a story about how BYU or Utah played against UCLA!!! In fact, what I remember from both Utah games with them is THEY WERE BOTH BLOWOUTS!!! So, my question now is, why is an arrogant cougar fan on here talking about "how amazing BYU is because they beat UCLA". I have no problem with BYU fans posting (when they're not arrogant self serving people). I feel the exact same way about Ute fans on Cougar forums. So, now what I want to say is let's skip the UCLA comparisons and just have the forum for what it's worth, the Utes in South Bend playing the Irish. And if you're an arrogant Cougar, please, go read your media guide and leave the discussion to those that have half a mind.

• Re: Re: Bruins Calling
    July 30, 2008 1:33 p.m.

The whole point was to compare how BYU did against UCLA in the Rose Bowl, compared to how Utah did against UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Utah got killed, BYU was very competitive.

Yada, yada, yada. It doesn't matter if BYU only beat the Bruins by a blocked field goal last year and Utah whipped them. Just like it doesn't matter that BYU spanked UNLV and Air Force, and Utah lost to both teams.

If you want a more valid comparison, compare what BYU does with UCLA in Provo this year.

Or just wait until the Cougars punk the Utes in LaVell Edwards Stadium North this year.

• Throw Prolate Spheroid
    July 30, 2008 12:11 p.m.

So tell me American "Football" fans, what does your laughable "game" have to do with feet and a ball. As for the definitions above, they are the ones in any dictionary I have seen. Your "object" is a Prolate Spheroid. Go look it up.

Here is prolate: Having the shape of a spheroid generated by rotating an ellipse about its longer axis.
    Having the polar axis longer than the equatorial diameter: a prolate spheroid.

Sphereoid: A body that is shaped like a sphere but is not perfectly round, especially an ellipsoid that is generated by revolving an ellipse around one of its axes.

Now, for Ball: spherical or approximately spherical body or shape; sphere.

You rarely kick it, except for a punt or kickoff. So why do you resist a correction in the name of your game?

Did you also know that "punt" is actually a monetary unit from the Republic of Ireland?

It makes me laugh how you still use names and words that are completely wrong.

"Go learn yourself something."

• Anonymous
    July 30, 2008 11:40 a.m.

Why did Utah back out of the BSU game in Boise? Is it that they dont want to get spanked on the BLUE like they get spanked at home!!!!

• Table Scraps
    July 30, 2008 11:27 a.m.

So, you Ute fans can't understand why BYU fans are laughing at you for jumping for joy at a one-off road payday at Notre Dame -- after the Irish nixed a double home and home with BYU because the Cougars would not agree to a road-only agreement.

Well, let's turn the tables a bit ... would you find it funny if BYU all of a sudden ran to Utah State and tried to pick up their now-open dates in 2010 and 2011?

Now, before you get all worked up -- I'm not comparing playing in South Bend at the storied N.D. stadium to playing in scenic Logan. No, no, no, no, no.

What I am comparing is the fact that BYU turned down an offer it deemed not good enough, creating an opening that Utah agreed to in a joyous heartbeat.

Table scraps.

Thanks for eating.

• Re Bruins Calling
    July 30, 2008 11:07 a.m.

I don't think anyone was mistaken on when Utah lost to UCLA. What we were reffering to is the fact that when BYU lost to UCLA, Utah beat them THE VERY NEXT WEEK!!! But either way, this forum isn't about the BYU and UCLA scores, it's about the fact that the Utes are scheduling some big programs. Notre Dame may not be as good as they used to be, but who knows what they'll be in two years. It's still Notre Dame

July 29, 2008 10:34 p.m.

Chalk up a loss for the Utes!!!

• Sched Strength???
    July 29, 2008 8:39 p.m.

Does people realize that BYU has flordia st, and arizona st, coming up next year and the year after. Why is only Utah and Notre Dame getting publicity. Flordia St and Arizona St are much better than ND. And they are home/home series. Plaese stop talking about northern iowa, what utah is playing weber st. I think half the 5A schools in the state could contend against weber.

• Way to go yooties
    July 29, 2008 7:53 p.m.

That's great you're going to have a game with ND but I guess a one-and-done is the best the u could expect. You should have offered them a return game with BYU, then they would have visited our state again.

And ya know, you really need to fix your fight song before you go there. If your band launches into your mickey mouse sound alike number you're gonna see about eighty thousand ND fans start laughing so hard they'll cough up their spleens!

• Patsy Hunt, Notre Dame Asst. AD
    July 29, 2008 7:08 p.m.

We're looking for a few good men . . . willing to come into South Bend for a payday . . . roll over . . . play dead . . . Oh, Utah! Thanks for volunteering!

• Re: to Master of the Obvious
    July 29, 2008 5:07 p.m.

ND does not qualify as a quality opponent. Michigan yes...ND no.

• Obvious
    July 29, 2008 5:05 p.m.

Doesn't Air Force play ND EVERY year? So, Chris Hill says he likes to schedule a big-time program like ND every four years...is he saying Utah's program is not as good as Air Force's since they play ND EVERY YEAR?

Oh, and doesn't Utah State schedule these big-time programs on a yearly basis? Sure, they get blown out of every game three minutes into each one, but at least they've got the "you-know-whats" to schedule these big-time programs.

Way to go Hill!!! No wonder the MWC is a laughing stock. One of the supposed "top-programs" in the MWC can't even schedule top-programs in the country no less than every four years.

• grumpolman
    July 29, 2008 4:57 p.m.

Why would the Utes schedule Notre Dame when they are so susceptible to the "Hail Mary"? Anyone? Anyone?

• Re: J.
    July 29, 2008 4:19 p.m.

You forgot a team on your list of weak strength of schedule nobodies that BYU played last year, Utah!

• Idaho Cougar Fan
    July 29, 2008 4:19 p.m.

Ute fans aren't very bright! They keep bringing up N. Iowa to the BYU fans and forget to mention they have WSU (not Washington State) on their schedule! Well lets compare Weber with N. Iowa.

N. Iowa 12-1 last year finished 4th in one poll and 5th in the other poll.

Weber State 5-7 and had trouble putting my Bengals away. (ISU was really bad!)

So stop bringing up N. Iowa because at least BYU schedules good FCS teams and not a womens college for the gifted and blind!

• Dave in Midvale
    July 29, 2008 3:58 p.m.

Some honest words for the UTE FANS.

I've lived most of my life outside of Utah. I've been very close to several major college football programs (close friends with coaches and players) in Florida and elsewhere. I am very aware of who they consider contending programs year in and year out. They name University of Utah hardly ever, and except for their Fiesta Bowl year, NEVER comes up. The size of their home field makes it difficult to schedule home at home dates with most anyone of note. . . it's a losing proposition for most.

But when I would mention, not that I was a BYU grad, but that I lived in Utah, they wanted to know about the BYU program.

• ND
    July 29, 2008 3:57 p.m.

Give the Irish a break. Before you start thumping your red painted chest's you should do some research on your opponent. First, check out ther win-loss record. Second, check out how their last years recruiting class went. Last, Check out their chamionships and bowl wins. Oh ya they started their first football season in the fall of 1887, while you all were still scratching your way out of the sage brush and desert.

• re: To @comment
    July 29, 2008 3:49 p.m.

HAHAHA! That was the funniest thing I've ever read. that's like saying, yes I'm taking an ugly girl to the dance, but she's the hottest ugly girl in the school. Keep up the great posts zoobs, that was funny. Don't try to defend it, it is what it is, it's Northern Iowa

• Re: Ball
    July 29, 2008 3:48 p.m.

Ball: a spherical or ovoid body used in a game or sport

Ovoid: French ovode, from Latin ovum egg : resembling an egg in shape

Thanks for playing.

Football (as opposed to futbol) is still the greatest sport on earth.

• Re: prolate spheroid
    July 29, 2008 3:41 p.m.

Ball: Middle English bal, prob from Old English *beall; akin to Old English bealluc testis, Old High German balla ball, Old Norse bǫllr, Old English blāwan to blow

as in blowhards like you need to get out of the library more often. Just a suggestion.

• Div 1-AA smack talk
    July 29, 2008 3:39 p.m.

How pathetic are you Utes if that is all that you got?

I don't care for the game against Northern Iowa, Eastern Washington, or Eastern Illinois, but to hear you Utes argue that you are better than the Y because of the Cougs week scheduling is laughable.

The Utes have Weber State coming into RES this year. They are Div 1 FCS (formely 1-AA) as well. How do you overlook that?

How about the Lumberjacks from Northern Arizona that came to town back in 2006? Also from the Big Sky Conference.

Are you that ignorant that you just don't realize the hypocrisy of your argument? Or is it that in UteFan's world it's BYU hater first, Ute fan second?

Good for the Utes for scheduling a game against ND. But, it's already been pointed out, BYU has been there and done that.

• Re: If
    July 29, 2008 3:32 p.m.

"If BYU "always" tries to schedule big names, ..."

When Utah starts scheduling home-and-home series with 4 BCS teams EVERY season, then they can complain about BYU's schedule not being as strong as Utah's.

Until then, Utah has enough 1-AA and very weak 1-A teams on it's schedule to make a mockery of any arguments that BYU's schedule is somehow inferior to Utah's.

It's strange how some Utah fans will claim that BYU 1984 didn't play any ranked opponents when they won their National Championship (Pittsburgh was ranked 3rd when BYU played them), and then those same Utah fans will claim that Utah 2007 beat two ranked opponents.

Take off the crimson-colored glasses and you'll see that both teams play roughly the same strength of schedule.

• Chickens before they're hatched
    July 29, 2008 3:20 p.m.

Seems kind of funny to me that Whittingham is looking forward to playing the Irish in 2010.

Another couple seasons like the last two and I doubt he'll still be the Ute coach when that season rolls around.

• Re: @comment
    July 29, 2008 3:19 p.m.

It wasn't Bronco that backed out of LSU, it was Crowton -- and I believe it was in his second or third season.

And I think he's a wuss for doing it as well. Kind of ironic that he ended up there winning a national championship with them.

Facts are facts -- if you have a contract you should honor it. Crowton showed fear in canceling it.

That being said ... BYU did have a home and home with LSU. Not some piddling little one-off road payoff contest.

• Northern Iowa & Notre Dame
    July 29, 2008 2:59 p.m.

"I've see [sic] Northern Iowa play. They will bring the downfall of BYU."

I don't doubt that Northern Iowa is a very good team, in the division formerly known as 1-AA. Eastern Washington (which ironically lost to Appalachian State) was also a very good team last year. Both teams lost in the quarterfinals of the 1-AA playoffs (a concept foreign to the Big Bowl run BCS).

I expect Northern Iowa to put up a valiant fight, but in the end, the final score will be similar to the BYU-Eastern Washington score last year:

BYU 42
    EWU 7
    Utah has nothing to be ashamed of for scheduling a one-and-done with Notre Dame. I'm sure they would have preferred a return visit by the Irish, but if a road game was all they could get, giving their players and fans a chance to visit the lair of the most storied team in college football is a great opportunity.

Any win by a MWC school against a program like Notre Dame is good for all teams in the conference.

• To @comment
    July 29, 2008 2:51 p.m.

You have your facts wrong.

BYU broke its home-and-home contract with LSU when Gary Crowton became the head coach. He wanted to tone down the schedule and replaced LSU with Boise State. Oops - looks like that didn't turn out too well for Crowton.

The difference between BYU and Utah is that BYU doesn't have to do home-only series with big-time programs.

By the way, Northern Iowa was ranked #1 in the FCS for most of the year last year(yes, way ahead of Appalachian State). You can criticize BYU for scheduling a FCS team, but you have to at least respect the fact that they are playing arguably the best team in the FCS.

• KSSacramento
    July 29, 2008 2:47 p.m.

The Southern California Trojans will take on anyone, anywhere, anytime. We play ND every year. Whats the big deal?

• prolate spheroid
    July 29, 2008 2:42 p.m.

Shouldn't you all be talking about a prolate spheroid. I don't see what a foot or a ball has to do with the game you play. No foot or balls are used, except for a periodic kick or punt. Shouldn't it be prolate spheroid tackle time? or Throw Prolate Spheroid. TPS actually sounds really cool. Maybe you should start adopting these terms to help your children so that they are not confused between a prolate spheroid and a ball. Just a suggestion.

• @comment
    July 29, 2008 2:20 p.m.

If BYU "always" tries to schedule big names, why is it that they broke a home and home contract with LSU when Bronco became head coach? That one was booked and cancelled.

It seems to me if you catch a big fish and toss it back, you can't claim you are trying to keep the big fish.

• @Craig Coleman
    July 29, 2008 2:20 p.m.

Yes, the N. Iowa game is a replacement for Nevada. However, Nevada told BYU several years ago they were backing out of the contract. It amazes me that Holmoe sounded surprised when Reno's 2008 schedule was released and BYU wasn't on it. The truth is, BYU was informed by Reno back in 2004 or so that they were renegging.

So, it didn't have to be a "last minute" fill in.

• FCS
    July 29, 2008 2:09 p.m.

I've see Northern Iowa play. They will bring the downfall of BYU. Can you say "Appalachian State". Good bye

There is no such thing as Division 1AA.

• Friendly Advice
    July 29, 2008 2:06 p.m.

If Utah is intent on winning the game, and not just going to enjoy the mystic and big paycheck, get a two or three touchdown lead on Notre Dame and then play to win, NOT not to lose.

You know how Notre Dame likes to make dramatic comebacks under the Golden Dome. And with Utah's recent history of giving up late game touchdowns to snatch defeat from victory, no small lead is safe in Southbend.

• Schedules
    July 29, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Truth be told, Utah and BYU play pretty even strength of schedules year in and year out. Here are the end of the season SOS rankings for both Utah and BYU the past seven years.

Year BYU Utah
    2007 59 60
    2006 74 73
    2005 65 76
    2004 11 67
    2003 14 62
    2002 86 75
    2001 83 62

So, other than 2003 and 2004 when BYU had very difficult schedules (maybe that's one reason Crowton didn't have a good record), the schedules have been pretty even. Both teams consistently are in the 60's and 70's range for SOS which is in the bottom half of the country.

It's silly for fans of either side to find fault with the SOS of the other side because we are basically mirror images of each other.

• to Master of the Obvious
    July 29, 2008 1:52 p.m.

It seems the Utes are doing what BYU is afraid to do; Schedule quality opponents rather than cream puffs.

Playing the Irish gives the Utes national exposure whereas playing the Cougars is a stale annual ritual that doesn't compare to the Iron Bowl, Texas/Oklahoma, Florida/Georgia, or even Army/Navy.

• Utes Recent Opponents
    July 29, 2008 1:54 p.m.

Texas A&M
    North Carolina
    Oregon State
    Washington State

Utah plays a very good mix of BCS programs.

• @ To Ute Fans
    July 29, 2008 1:21 p.m.

So have we, look at our past schedules. Last year for instance, @Louisville (it looked like a good game when we scheduled it), UCLA, Oregon State. We have been playing "Big Time Programs", this isn't the first time we've played at Michigan, a few years ago we lost 10-7. Think before you write things that make you look uneducated and stupid, most BYU and U of U fans are more educated than these message boards lead on. I hope.

July 29, 2008 1:01 p.m.

anything that's good for the mwc, such as utah playing a high-exposure program like notre dame, is good for byu, so i don't really understand all the negative comments from byu fans.

comments from utah fans about byu's supposed weak scheduling are a little misguided. byu has always tried to schedule big names, which is why byu has already played notre dame multiple times (and not just one-off away games), as well as usc, penn state, florida state, texas a&m, miami, etc, etc, etc... and the only reason byu typically schedules a weaker team is because a) someone better backed down from playing byu (as was the case this year with nevada) or because of tradition (as is the case any year we schedule utah state).

byu has some upcoming seasons with florida state (a home/home, not just a one-off), with arizona state (who espn recently said is the up and coming program in the pac-10), washington, army, and boise state (which should make for a great non-bcs rivalry), with rumors of ohio state or some sec teams in the future as well. sounds fun.

• Craig Coleman
    July 29, 2008 12:46 p.m.

It seems to me that everyone has forgotten why Northern Iowa shows up on BYU's schedule. They were a last minute fill in after Nevada-Reno broke their contract with BYU and refused to come to Provo to play the Cougars. Yes, Nevada is a WAC team but they have been playing very well of late and should have a good team this year. I would rather see BYU play Nevada but I am glad that Northern Iowa stepped in to fill the hole after Nevada reneged. I hope the Utes beat Notre Dame in 2010. I hope everybody beats Notre Dame in 2010.

• To Ute Fans
    July 29, 2008 12:45 p.m.

Before you start taking cracks at BYU for scheduling N. Iowa to feel its scheduling hole; please take off Weber St. off your scheduling first.

Also, as for thinking games against Michigan and Notre Dame is big time for you scheduling, Air Force, UNLV, SDSU, BYU, TCU, and all the rest of the MWC have been scheduling those "BIG TIME PROGRAMS" year in and year out.

• ND Fan
    July 29, 2008 12:04 p.m.

How could we schedule a bush league team like Utah? If we don't win by 4 TDs the game is fixed.

• Great Opportunity!!!!!!
    July 29, 2008 12:02 p.m.

We used to do these up at Utah State. We went to Nebraska (when they were great) and to Oklahoma a few times. We got killed but we made more money than if we had played a home game.

These games helped our athletic program survive. Hope this helps your situation up at the U. Good luck and keep smilin'. ;)

• michael
    July 29, 2008 11:57 a.m.

Bottom line is Utah playing Notre Dame is good for Utah, good for the league and I know BYU fans will hate this but good for BYU. You should be thanking the UTE's for having the guts to play these games while you try to "Hawaii" your way to the BCS.

• Bruins calling
    July 29, 2008 11:52 a.m.

You Ute fans are really something. Bragging up and down about demolishing UCLA when BYU only beat them by a fingertip.

We all know that whether you're playing at home or on the road makes a big difference. BYU played us close in our house last year, and then beat us in the Vegas Bowl.

Please refresh my memory as to what the score was when Utah played in our house the year before. As I recall, it was a complete and utter blowout.

• Schedule Maker
    July 29, 2008 11:50 a.m.

Everything is relative in the world of schedule making. It all depends on the perspective and national prestige of your program.

A helpful exercise is to apply the exact same scenarios to teams you look up to playing, to opponents on your own schedule and what you think of them.

Utah fans, as they have been pointing out on here, are ecstatic to be playing one road game at Notre Dame. The question is, how does Notre Dame and its fans look at the Utah matchup?

Applying the same formula to Utah -- what teams on Utah's schedule are willing to JUMP to play a one-off road game at RES?

Weber State.

Ergo, Utah is to Notre Dame what Weber State is to Utah.

Before all you Ute fans get all irate, just look at it. You would never agree to play a home and home with Weber State. It doesn't make sense for you. Just like Notre Dame would never agree to play you on the road. You don't have the juice.

Personally, I think Utah is better than Notre Dame right now. And I think the Utes sold themselves short by agreeing to the one-off ND game.

• RE: Hey Dilusional
    July 29, 2008 11:50 a.m.

"Try getting in a conference where you can play "REAL" opponents and win and then someone might take you seriously!"

You mean like the conference that BYU is in??? The only national recognition the BYU has had the last two years is that they are a bubble team. They are the "team with a lot of potential and promise" but yet can't seem to reach that potential because they choke a game or two away. If you want to bring up the Fiesta Bowl, that team didn't choke on any games and played teams from the type of conferences that you referred to. I don't think that I would like my program to be nationally recognized as a team that can't reach potential. The national recognition that the UTES have right now is 10-4 against BCS teams and have a bowl streak going for them as well. If you think that you are going to change that perception by playing the lower teams, then you are DIIlusional!!!!

• Re: Anonymous | 10:59 a.m.
    July 29, 2008 11:38 a.m.

"Utah doesn't play UCLA the same way as BYU because they beat them, mercilessly"

It's just too bad that Utah doesn't play UNLV the same way as BYU, instead of laying a goose egg against UNLV 0-27.

A little history, last two UCLA games for Utah and BYU.

BYU 17 UCLA 16 (bowl)
    BYU 17 @UCLA 27

Utah 44 UCLA 6
    Utah 10 @UCLA 31

oops, forgot that little detail about how Utah DIDN'T handle UCLA in Los Angeles

• Table Scraps
    July 29, 2008 11:38 a.m.

Rumor has it that Tom Holmoe was eating breakfast in a local restaurant this morning, and had to finally ask Chris Hill to leave. It seems Hill was laying down under Holmoe's table hoping to pounce on any scheduling scraps that might fall off the table.

• J.
    July 29, 2008 11:37 a.m.

Last year the only team in the top 25 that did not play another team in the top 25=BYU, the team with a strength of schedule=67, scheduling E. washington, N. Iowa, E. Illinois---PRICELESS. You gotta love it. Go Utes!

• BYU Cougar
    July 29, 2008 11:16 a.m.

"i recall that the last time the irish had a home n home with the team down south, the irish smoked byu both times!!!"

BYU SPLIT the last two games with Notre Dame.

For the record:

BYU has NEVER had a home-and-home series with Notre Dame, they've had 2 two-for-one series (2 away, 1 home) with the Fighting Irish. Overall, BYU is 2-4 vs Notre Dame, including a win in Southbend in 1994.

1992 BYU 16 @Notre Dame 42
    1993 BYU 20 Notre Dame 45
    1994 BYU 21 @Notre Dame 14

2003 BYU 14 @Notre Dame 33
    2004 BYU 20 Notre Dame 17
    2005 BYU 23 @Notre Dame 49

• really something now
    July 29, 2008 11:07 a.m.

Oooo, the yooties think they're really something now! Notre Dame? Been there, done that.

Since you'll be losing to BYU every year from now until Bronco turns 90 it won't matter who else you schedule to assuage your wounded pride.

• Anonymous
    July 29, 2008 10:59 a.m.

To LaVerl: do you mean Utah doesn't play UCLA the same way as BYU because they beat them, mercilessly?
    (not just on a blocked field goal)

To BYUtah Fan: I wish more of your fellow BYU fans had the same respect you do. I respect BYU's football team. I despie 99% of their fans. If they were all like you (and if all of the U's fans were like you) this rivalry would be a whole lot better. Kudos.

• Ute Answer Man
    July 29, 2008 10:52 a.m.

Hole in schedule? No problem. We'll just play Weber State twice that year.

• Dilusional
    July 29, 2008 10:42 a.m.

In 09 and 10 BYU has Florida State and Washington on its schedule and 10 and 11, Arizona State. Those teams will come to LES as well. So I think it is U who is delusional. I'm a die hard Cougar fan, but I think it is great that the U is going to South Bend. Air Force plays them often, so the conference does play some good programs. Most MWC teams are trying very hard to upgrade their schedules.

• Hey Dilusional
    July 29, 2008 10:33 a.m.

Are you kidding me? You must be truly "Dilusional"!The Utes aren't grabbing all of the "headlines" by playing "Real" opponents and not the "Northern Iowa's of the World". Reality check boys in red you are the 1AA caliber that Michigan has lined up to demolish this year and N.D. (even though they are terrible) will crush in 2010! Your overinflated view of self is astounding. Your football team has been terrible the last few years. Is USA today and ESPN headlining you and your incredible one "big game" every 4 years? If I'm a big time recruit that is really going to lure me to play in the pathetic MWC. Its sad when your own Mr. Hill admits to your lack of a program. Ute fans like it or not no one outside of Utah hardly even knows you play football. The Fiesta bowl is over, get over yourselves! You are the kid on the basketball court that is all mouth and no skill. BYU has national recognition, a national championship, and a ranking and program to match. Try getting in a conference where you can play "REAL" opponents and win and then someone might take you seriously!

• are you kidding me?
    July 29, 2008 10:26 a.m.

Wow! Its amazing to me that we have to talk a sucky team into playing us a YEAR in advance! Notre Dame? Why dont we play a real school. This isnt going to do anything for us. And its going to make us look aweful if we lose... BAD MOVE!!!

• BYUtah fan
    July 29, 2008 10:14 a.m.

How this could be come a forum for small minded fans to fight over the BYU-Utah rivalry is beyond me. Notre Dame has a long and storied football program. Playing Notre Dame is a terrific opportunity for Utah for national exposure and to show off the talent they have been recruiting recently. There is no down side for BYU. Utah has an excellent football program. If nothing else their performance against BYU team has proven that the last two years. Both of those games could have gone either way.

Yes, I bleed BYU blue. But, Utah is a fun team to watch. I root for Utah, as any intelligent fan from Utah would. Utah wins just add more prominence and excitement to the rivalry game. With one Utah team undefeated and the other with one loss maybe we can have two BCS busters.

• BlueCoug
    July 29, 2008 10:12 a.m.

I'm happy for the Utes to get to experience the mystic of playing in Southbend.

It's a shame Notre Dame won't return the favor by visiting RES because they've decided to play a 7-game home schedule and, except for their traditional rivals, won't be playing home-and-home series with other teams.

All this silly talk about scheduling up/down/sideways is so juvenile. BYU and Utah both schedule quality OOC opponents, home-and-away, as much as possible.

Exceptions are made to fit specific circumstances and future opponents may end up being MUCH better, or MUCH worse, than they were expected to be when the games were scheduled, but both schools play quality OOC opponents.

• Good scheduling
    July 29, 2008 10:07 a.m.

I'm not a Utah fan, though I have a degree from there, but I'm glad Hill has scheduled this game. Having been to Notre Dame to a game, I can tell you it is an experience you will long remember if you get a chance to go. I disliked Notre Dame before going there for a game, but afterward I feel a certain allegiance to them because of the level of respect shown to all fans who were there. They have a tradition of excellence and respect that more schools should emulate.

• LaVerl
    July 29, 2008 10:03 a.m.

The problem with the Utes is they do not play big time programs like Michigan, UCLA, and Notre Dame the way BYU does.

• big 12
    July 29, 2008 9:51 a.m.

maybe utah and byu could join a conference where they play big time games every week

• cooooooogerzz
    July 29, 2008 9:50 a.m.

• spitzer
    July 29, 2008 9:50 a.m.

It seems to me Anonymous almost everytime I read an article about BYU football some crimson dude from up north has to balb about the Yutes. If you have a problem with us commenting on your articles, stop making the comments about BYU's articles!

• Anonymous
    July 29, 2008 9:50 a.m.

Great for the U. but bad for USU. Instead of having a sellout with Utah at Romney, the Aggies will bring in I-AA Who cares University and get beat in front on 5,500 fans. Hopefully the Aggies get a piece of the U.'s $1 million it is getting from Notre Dame!

• Oregonian
    July 29, 2008 9:44 a.m.

Here's one BYU fan excited to see the Utes play the Irish. ND will be better in 2010 but will be beatable. Remember, the reason why BYU and Utes play 1-AA teams is because BCS schools won't come to our home fields. In college football, home field is a huge advantage and the big BCS teams know this. The excuse is the small payout (which they don't need). The real reason is losing a $13 million BCS payout getting beat by a MWC school. Remember Tennessee paid Wyoming big $$ to move their game to Nashville (and almost lost) when it would have been cheaper to play in Laramie. Here's a typical BCS schedule: 3 OOC cupcakes at home (mid major and a few 1-AAs), maybe a minor BCS team on the road, four good conference teams of which two are at home. Result: 10-2, top 10 ranking and $13 million BCS bowl. Penn St., Miami FL, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Virginia, Texas, California, Arizona, Texas A&M, Arizona St all have lost in the Beehive State the past 15 years. With the BCS they won't come anymore and risk losing BCS $$.

• The Dirty Utes.....
    July 29, 2008 9:43 a.m.

I'm truly amazed that nobody has mentioned the fact the Utes are dropping Utah St. to play this game. Ute Fan has blasted Cougar Fan for years for dropping Utah St a couple of time. What happened to "playing for tradition" and "Keeping things in-state"?

For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain most 1AA teams last year would have been quite competitive with Notre Dame. That's really scheduling up!!

• Ute Fan in San Fran
    July 29, 2008 9:39 a.m.

Hill, great job in securing a great game for both the program and the fanzzz.

Hey Cougars, good luck this year against Northern Iowa...

• LA Ute
    July 29, 2008 9:38 a.m.

Master of the Obvious, you need to get out more.

• Hawk
    July 29, 2008 9:31 a.m.

Uh, lest we forget BYU actually came to an agreement with Notre Dame for 3-game series several years ago (not simply a desparate move to fill a scheduling hole), so let's not get too carried away with this "we're more relevant than you are" rhetoric....

So has Utah stepped onto the stage of big time football or have they simply become Notre Dame's Northern Iowa?

• Anonymous
    July 29, 2008 9:23 a.m.

To the myopians in blew:

BYU a big time program? Yeah, well maybe it will be when it lands A big time recruits who isnt LDS (or even one who is), has a television contract with a national network (or has games broadcast regularly by such a network) and/or draws interest from television viewers outside of Utah and the LDS faith. BYU TV or whatever you call that station on public access TV does not count as a national network. Nice try.

Now go away. Im tired of reading your comments to Utah articles. We dont care about your opinions or alleged big time program.

• "Big Game"
    July 29, 2008 9:01 a.m.

When Chris Hill said he likes to shedule one of these "Big Games" every four years I think he is not meaning to belittle the other opponents on the schedule, but is refering to scheduling one of those dozen or so teams that epitomize college football for all it is worth. It doesnt really have a lot to do with rankings but more with tradition and national notoriety...teams like ND, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Florida, Miami, LSU, USC, Penn State, Tennessee, or Oklahoma.

• Dilusional
    July 29, 2008 8:53 a.m.

"Look at me...Look at me!!! I'm important too" says the attention starving fans from down south. Too bad the Utes are grabbing all the headlines these days by scheduling REAL opponents rather than the Northern Iowa's of the world. BYU is NOT a national power or a top tier program...no matter how you slice it. They could have been ranked in the top 25 every year of the last 25 years but they still don't compare to Notre Dame or Michigan. However, keep dreaming because everyone should have a dream. Too bad yours is no more than a pipe dream!

I love what Utah is doing with the scheduling. I am very excited for the upcoming Michigan game (I haven't talked to one BYU fan who is excited for their Northern Iowa game) and I will be just as excited for the Notre Dame game. This just contrasts two different philosophies on scheduling...BYU: schedule down for a possible undefeated season and BCS game; Utah: schedule up to show the nation you deserve the BCS game.

Good luck Hawaii (uhhh, I mean BYU) this year with your Qwest. Meanwhile, GO UTES....beat Michigan!!!

• Hey Master of the Obvious
    July 29, 2008 8:32 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that when they say that they want to bring in a "top program," they mean a program BETTER or BIGGER in some way than the U's program. BYU doesn't qualify in any sense. Sorry. Not only was 1984 a really long time ago but it is considered by many experts to be the most controversial title ever awarded. We want to play a GOOD team every once in a while so we can see where we stand. I know you think your team is super-nifty. It's not.

• Nathaniel
    July 29, 2008 8:29 a.m.

I agree with Ute in Philadelphia - Utah should not fill the hole in its schedule with a FCS (I-AA) team.

I'm glad the Utes will get the opportunity to see this game. We fans sold out Utah's allotment to the Michigan game. Let's do it again in 2010!

• Cougar Fan
    July 29, 2008 8:07 a.m.

As a cougar fan I'm actually excited to see Utah upgrade it's schedule. For that matter, I hope Utah regularly schedules and wins games against top-tier opponents. That would add to the prestige of the Utah program and make it all the sweeter each year when BYU beats Utah. I'd much rather thump a 10-1 Utah team that's good than a 3-8 team that's irrelevant. Go get-em Utah. We'll be waiting for you. GO COUGS!!!

• Patsy Hunt
    July 29, 2008 8:04 a.m.

Notre Dame was looking for a patsy . . . and they found one!!

• Ute Fan
    July 29, 2008 7:43 a.m.

Master of the Obvious - that's quite a stat. First of all, do you have a life other than manipulating and inventing stats to prove the greatness of BYU? Second, I find your claim hard to believe. It wasn't that long ago that BYU was just hoping to have a winning season. Also, as I recall, LaVell's last year or two weren't exactly top 25 seasons. For you to be correct, BYU would have to have been ranked in November in 24 out of the last 30 seasons. Better ask your mom to help you crunch those numbers again.

• Go Utes
    July 29, 2008 7:28 a.m.

The Utes have played well in these big games in the past; hopefully they can come away with a W.

As always, there will be lots of posts from BYU fans on this article about the Utes, trying to convince everyone that their team is really really neat. Don't waste your time posting here...go back to reading your 1984 media guide.

• Re:Buckeye
    July 29, 2008 7:28 a.m.

LOL, learn to spell buddy, its Notre Dame. You must have gone to Ohio State.

• OK
    July 29, 2008 7:27 a.m.

Why won't ND play at RES? A payout of $95,000 is probably the reason....

• Dixie Dan
    July 29, 2008 7:12 a.m.

This will be great for the Mountain West. Maybe other schools in the conference should try to play more teams in the east for additional national exposure.

• Good for MWC
    July 29, 2008 7:06 a.m.

I'm not a Utah fan, but these kind of games are always potentially good for the MWC. The game will be on NBC nationally...not like being on the mtn or Versus and calling it "national television"...this is on a real national channel...NBC. And if Utah wins it can really help the conference's national profile. Nice job in scheduling.

• true blue
    July 29, 2008 6:37 a.m.

Talk about scheduling down. j/k Go utes

• Interesting
    July 29, 2008 5:58 a.m.

"Chris Hill says he likes to include a big game on the Utes' football schedule about every four years..." Shouldn't the Mountain West schools be trying to schedule "big games" every year so as to get some national respect?

It's no wonder no one takes the Mountain West serious when it comes to the BCS.

• CougarJimmy
    July 29, 2008 5:18 a.m.

Once every four years? But utah plays a big time BYU every year!

Go Cougs!

• Ute in Philadelphia
    July 29, 2008 4:55 a.m.

Actually, what I meant to say was please don't replace the hole in our OOC schedule with a 1-AA team.

• Ute in Philadelphia
    July 29, 2008 4:53 a.m.

Please don't replace Utah State's game with a 1-AA opponent.

• Master of the Obvious
    July 29, 2008 4:43 a.m.

Mr. Hill forgets that Utah plays a top program every year, not every four years. The team in Provo has been ranked in the top 25 81% of the time in meetings between the Cougs and Utes since 1977. It's great that the Utes will play ND in 2010 and Michigan this year. It can only help the program and the conference. However, it is inaccurate for Mr. Hill to claim the Utes only play a top program every 4 years. That belittles the teams they play regularly (PAC10, MWC), many of whom are top tier programs and have had more recent success than ND. I promise the BYU game will be more important for the Utes in 2010 than the ND game will, and BYU will probably be higher ranked than ND too.

• Buckeye
    July 29, 2008 1:44 a.m.

Didn't Nortre Dame used to have a football team or something like that?

• lezoave
    July 29, 2008 1:24 a.m.

I'd trade Utah State for Notre Dame anyway. Hopefully the Irish will actually be good that year and make it a close game.

• Great Game!
    July 29, 2008 12:46 a.m.

What great news!

As a Hoosier transplant to Utah, I couldn't be happier. This game will help to continue the University of Utah's advance towards a big time program.

Win or lose, I for one will enjoy this one. But even though I've been an Irish fan all my life, I think I'll cheer for the Utes on that day (maybe)...