Sports

Utah Jazz: Iranian team finds support at Revue

Comments

• Respect!!!
    July 23, 2008 3:46 p.m.

It doesn't matter where you go, there is always people that are racist, selfish, clueless, etc... Iranian people, just like all types of people, deserve respect. We are all human beings!!! It's a free country, so cheer for the team you like. This is a nation of immigrants. If my family was from Iran, I would support that country to.

• IRANIAN girl
    July 23, 2008 1:22 p.m.

ok so i suppose that no one will be waving US flag in china. ofcourse i ll cheer for the country where my parents are from and my parents came here to go to college and they never planned on living here forever and iran is a great country. you don't have to judge everything by the goverment. if iran will comeback next year for other games, i will go cheer for them and wave my flag and actually i will get a bigger flag and lots of my american friends came to the jazz game with me and cheered for iran because of me and all iranians that live in utah are the jazz fan too. i am a big fan of jazz myself.

• bita an iranian girl
    July 23, 2008 4:33 a.m.

we've been iranians we are and we'll always be no matter where we are
    thanx to Jazz for its kind gesture

• arc
    July 22, 2008 11:12 p.m.

I am glad the team from Iran was well treated. It also made national news. We have a number of people that came here in the 70's from Iran. All the people I know from Iran are very nice. They are here, in many cases because of who is in power over there now. Many have become US citizens, but still have friends and family there.

• Grant
    July 22, 2008 10:55 p.m.

Suggest bringing e3 national teams into the review nezxt year.

• GoodGuyGary
    July 22, 2008 9:58 p.m.

To Tree hugger: Devan will never get it. If someone wave American flag in the Chinese Olympia, Devan will not think this is disrespect, since it is "American" flag.

• To RE: iranian girl
    July 22, 2008 8:25 p.m.

Hey give her a break. Of course she is a US Citizen if she was born here in the United States, but of course she has the right too to cheer for the Iranian Basketball Team if she wants to.

I look at it this way, I will be cheering for the USA during the upcoming Olympics but I will also cheer for Sweden because it's where I served my mission.

So lighten up and have fun.

• One World
    July 22, 2008 6:46 p.m.

Great story and wounderfull actions taken by both sides to show that after all we are all human beings sharing the same plant and sharing the same problems and feelings. This shows that it is only politics and politicians who try to make us hate other people from other countries. and we have to be educated enough not to fall for that hate ingnited by politicians all over the world.

• GREAT GAME BUT...
    July 22, 2008 6:31 p.m.

i enjoyed watching the game on tv except for when the iranian flag filled up half my screen and that wazoo was sooooooooooooo annoying

• RE: iranian girl
    July 22, 2008 5:36 p.m.

If you were born here, isn't your country the U.S.

If Iran was so great Why did your family leave it in the first place.

People allegiances are incredibly missed place these days.

My family ancestors came from great britain, germany, demark, norway. etc, but I don't support their teams or wave their flags.

Hoew many sporting events do see spectators and particpants waving foriegn flags of countries they weren't born in or have ever lived.

It's fine to recognize and appreciate your ancestory,

but you are no more Iranian or Mexican, etc, anymore than I am british, german, danish, norwegian, french, etc.

• Great class
    July 22, 2008 1:33 p.m.

I love different cultures. I am about as American as you can get, but I have lived in many different places, and people are great in most places in the world. When I was in Europe, I became close friends with Iranians. Friendship means a lot more to them than it does to Americans. I hope Iran does well in the olympics even though it isn't likely. Jazz, that was impressive to show them that kind of respect.

• re: wayne, Devan
    July 22, 2008 1:12 p.m.

The information you wished to see was in there, it was about the same information as all the other games' information. The main story was the human interest story.
    How arrogant and culturally biased are you if you believe that they should not waive the Iranian flag. I guess you think that in the Olympics, nobody should wave the American flag, because they need to respect the Chinese. Or, if you live in New York, for example, you should not wear any Utah Jazz apparel at a Jazz/Knicks game.
    The halftime ceremony was very emotional. I am an American, and the gesture that the Jazz did almost brought me to tears. This was a great story about basketball overcoming supposed differences. I hope that this event will help open the hearts of the citizens and leaders of both countries so that we can respect each other. We can then focus on the positive relationships.

• @Wayne
    July 22, 2008 1:08 p.m.

You're waiting for the next Byron Russell? Don't get me wrong, he served a good role for the Jazz but he never had the athleticisim to give the Jazz another dimension to the offense like Ronnie Brewer does.

• IRANIAN girl
    July 22, 2008 1:05 p.m.

i'm an iranian and i was born here and i cheered for my country to the fullest.i waved flags because thats where my parents are from and i'm so proud to be an iranian teenager living in another country. living in u.s doesn't matter the only thing that matters is where you are from and cheering for my country is a pride.i had the best time and i was so happy that i could see people from my country that bring pride for us iranians in foreign countries. this will probebly never happen again but i'm greatful that it did and i'm a jazz fan but when it comes to choose btw. my country and jazz i choose my country iran.
    thanks to the jazz

• Class
    July 22, 2008 1:00 p.m.

I was at the game last night and found the support of Iran's team to be very amazing. Except for the Kazoo (which happened to be about 3 rows back from me...my ears are still ringing), I wish the Jazz fans would cheer on their team in the same way. If I lived in another country and the USA basketball team came to that country to play and I were in attendance, I'd wave my flag too. I thought it was very patriotic and a fresh look at basketball. I compliment the Iran team fans and Iran's team. It was interesting to see the stark contrast between the Jazz players, who are playing for large contracts and money, with the players from Iran who were playing for the pride of their small country. If only the Jazz players played with the same heart we'd win the championship every year.

It seems doubtful to me that Iran will go far in the Olympics if they are having a hard time keeping up with summer league teams. Nevertheless, I wish them well.

• Iranian
    July 22, 2008 12:10 p.m.

As an iranian i salute the Utah Jazz for being such gracious hosts. I was not expecting such a wonderful gesture at halftime. The commentators were also very good and respectful as well. As a nugget fan it will be very hard to root against the jazz this coming season after this display:D

• Ali
    July 22, 2008 11:50 a.m.

As an Iranian taht lived here for last 30 years I would like to say thanks to the Jazz Organization for such a great and friendly gesture last night

• Anonymous
    July 22, 2008 11:48 a.m.

Congratulations to Utah Jazz organization, and the N.B.A. officials for having the vision to invite the Iranian National Basketball team to Utah. Utah Jazz proved one more time, beyond reason, why they are the class act organization of N.B.A. I wish for the day that the Jazz team go to Iran for some friendlies. The Iranian people would love the opportunity to return the favor in kind. Thanks Utah jazz.
    Mansour

• Devan ?????
    July 22, 2008 11:47 a.m.

What are you talking about? I'm an American from Puerto Rico, I take the Puerto Rican flag to sporting events and wave it. Its not anti American,its called pride. Don't be so insecure. I thought it was awesome that they had that much support here. Just because we live here doesn't mean we need to forget where we come from.

• To Devan
    July 22, 2008 11:42 a.m.

That's a pretty ignorant and cultural-centric statement. It's great the Iranian fans showed so much enthusiasm for their team. If we were in another country cheering for the U.S. team, I think it'd be appropriate to wave our country's flag. Watch the Olympics next month and I think you'll see a few non-Chinese flags. They aren't doing it to disrespect our country, simply to show enthusiasm and pride for their own.

• Chris
    July 22, 2008 11:39 a.m.

I flipped away from the game last night during the first half when the score was a little too close for comfort. Thanks to the Deseret News for doing this story and helping me see the game from a completely different angle. And thanks to the Jazz organization for showing a lot of class.

• Re: Devan
    July 22, 2008 11:29 a.m.

I don't think it is disrespectful to waive the Iranian flag as was done. It simply shows support for that team & for the country. While you could intend political commentary or disrespectful intentions, it isn't fair to assume such.
    I'm glad there was some good flag-waving going on, as I think it is important for the people in Iran to realize that though our governments have some major problems with each other, that people in general hold no such animosity.

• Tree hugger
    July 22, 2008 11:13 a.m.

Devan: huh? It's disrespectful to root for the visitors? Surely you don't think this fan had some subversive political agenda for waiving the flag of her home country in support of these visiting athletes?

If watch the olympics in China this summer, and see someone--even a Chinese citizen--supportively waving a U.S. flag at an event, is that disrespect to the Chinese?

• Re: Devan
    July 22, 2008 11:09 a.m.

Get over yourself. There are other countries in the world and if you ever watch an event in another country that involves a national team it is natural that they wave the flag of that country. What's the big deal that they support where they came from. It has nothing to do with disrespecting the US, it has something to do with honoring their country and cheering them on. During the World Cup in 2006 in soccer, the American fans were waving American Flags in Germany, is that disrespectful? In your eye probably not because it is the US. No disrespect, just respect for where someone is from. And after all, it is an athletic event and not a political convention.

• To Wayne
    July 22, 2008 10:40 a.m.

How could you?

• FloridaJazzFan
    July 22, 2008 10:16 a.m.

Hey, I'm with Wayne. I live way out east, and can't watch the Review games on KJZZ. I think this article was great, and am not complaining about it being written. I just want some feedback on how the young Jazz players played. Seems neither of the big guys are going to be able to help us this year, which is a disapointment...

Keep the love coming, but don't leave out coverage of the review.

• Devan
    July 22, 2008 10:00 a.m.

I saw part of the game I think it is very disrepectful to be in America and waving an Iranian flag, expecially if they are U.S. citizens. Wearing a Iranian Jersey is fine but not waving a flag in the U.S. Expecially because Iran has vowed to wipe the Israel of the map.

• Hollywood
    July 22, 2008 9:29 a.m.

Wayne,
    Here's your sports update: Jazz won. They're now 1-2 and probably have no shot at winning the RMR championship.

Since the RMR is so important to the success of the franchise, it's not looking good and I'm sure the team will most certainly miss the playoffs this season. Look for Atlanta to run away with the NBA title. They've looked unstoppable thus far.

Seriously, the RMR is basically a round of pickup games. No disrespect to them, but do we really want to know what Mike Efevberha or Haminn Quaintance did? And no, those aren't Iranians. Those are two of the Jazz players at the revue.

There are plenty of places to source Jazz info (like the official team website at NBA.com). The DN isn't the center of the universe. But judging by the responses, the majority of people who source the DN site like the combined human interest/basketball stories.

I think it's great to hear the Jazz organization cares about people and not just the bottom line. What a great gesture.

• Wayne 8:11
    July 22, 2008 9:20 a.m.

The game was a great game last night made all the more special by the recognition of the other teams lost player. Almond showed some of the talent he has with some great moves and good defense. Fez did a good job also. Probably the biggest concern for both is that they seem to be a bit laid back. I would think that if you are on the edge you would give your all every night. John Stockton used to advertise that you need to give 110%. I did not see 110% from either player. Maybe in the future. Faced with Brewer, Korver and maybe price ahead of him, Almond need to contact Karl and follow his advice regarding hustle. Same with Fez.

• Reader
    July 22, 2008 9:19 a.m.

Wayne, you obviously know nothing about journalism. That "news" about this game was the human interest story of the Iranian team and its fans, not the stats on a mostly meaningless exhibition game.

• observer
    July 22, 2008 9:14 a.m.

Oh Wayne, lighten up. There's more to life than basketball.

• Fact
    July 22, 2008 8:57 a.m.

This just goes to show that regular people from whatever part of the world can live and get along fine with each other if the politics are left out of the equation. Our politicians are as guilty of this as any in the world. Let the people make their choices and lets get back to some world harmony.

• Way to...
    July 22, 2008 8:37 a.m.

go Jazz for a kind and wonderful gesture....

• wayne
    July 22, 2008 8:11 a.m.

not living in utah the past several years, I do not get a lot of jazz coverage. This artical got me confused, am I reading the human interest section or the sports section. this was a great human interest story but I want my sports and Jazz coverage. Is the lack of interest in the review this year from lack of interest of the reporters? when I lived in Utah the review was one of the summer's main evens, is this a signal of the reviews demise? is it the lack of teams and tallent or the change of venue. What I want is to know what how the jazz prospects are doing. is Fesenko making progress? has Almond inporved his floor game, his defense, his intensity. are any of the draft picks making the Jazz brass look good? will the play in SLC or Orem what about the standout undrafted free agents. when wil the jazz find the next Byron Russel? undrafted players who not only make the team but play a significant roll on the team. but I guess at least this year I have to settle for human interest stories with and with out box scores.

• CoolGesture
    July 22, 2008 8:11 a.m.

The Persian people are a noble and goodly bunch. I am glad that the Jazz made this kind and heart-warming gesture. I hope the Iranians do well and I hope eventually they can get rid of their psychotic leaders and restore freedom and prosperity to their land.

• Jazz, Jazz, Jazz
    July 22, 2008 1:42 a.m.

God-bless the Utah Jazz and their kind hearts. This is a touching tale, considering the political strife between our two nations. It is good to see all feelings laid aside and the warm greeting for our Iranian brothers.