Family

Concert review: Journey's new singer has fans 'Believin'

Comments

• Bob Smither
    March 19, 2010 9:31 a.m.

I hate the new singer

• bubblygirl0503
    Aug. 5, 2009 10:00 p.m.

GREAT!!!!!AWESOME!!!!!GO ARNEL!!!!!!JUST KEEP BELIEVING!!!!

• Dianalynn
    June 11, 2009 2:43 p.m.

Journey with Steve is just something you can never replace,cover maybe, but its not the same,Steve gave us his heart and soul along with his beautiful voice,He's the only one that has such a magical affect he is irreplacable .I seen evolution in concert recently and they were just as good as the new journey, so why waste the big bucks when the covers do the same.

• GABY
    May 9, 2009 3:20 p.m.

I LOVE STEVE PERRY, BUT HE NEVER DID COME BACK TO SING WITH JOURNEY, AND WHAT THEY FOUND WITH AP IS GREAT, HE IS THE ENERGIZE BUNNY AND HE SINGS WONDERFUL, LET;S GIVE THE BOY A HAND, HE IS SUPER, WHAT A VOICE, AND HE SINGS TO THE AUDIENCE, CONGRATULATIONS GREAT PICK.... I WILL ALWAYS LOVE STEVE PERRY....ALSO....

• 4everjrny
    April 3, 2009 11:48 a.m.

No matter who neil tries to get to replace steve:It will never ever change how Steve Perry will be forever engraved in our hearts and minds when we hear journey songs..Steve wrote and paved the way,let them have there new singer,dosn't matter we know who will forever rock journey with heart and soul..thats why they continue to play journey w/Steve on on the radio everyday.havn't heard any other frontman but steve.

• New Avid Fan
    Feb. 17, 2009 8:41 p.m.

Love the new Revelation album. After watching the Las Vegas concert video at a party we bought our own album and has been watching almost everyday. Arnel Pineda it truly a gifted singer and we love listening to his songs. We'll definitely go to his concerts in 2009. Journey rock on!!!!!!

• letfer
    Nov. 18, 2008 11:45 p.m.

Congratulations journey for getting AP as your frontman. He is really GREAT!!!

• les paul
    Nov. 13, 2008 4:41 a.m.

whats important is the band as a whole on how they work with each other even if there is an american,filipino crew or other nationalities,the legacy,the teamwork,attitudes and the right talents is what most to be considered,steve and arnel did great..

• Norita1951
    Oct. 26, 2008 12:11 p.m.

People...moved on. Got a new great singer for Journey, Arnel Pineda..he can rock, just admit that Filipinos can do the job too.

Don't be racist to Asians...you'll be surprised wnat they are capable of.

• tropset
    Sept. 30, 2008 4:26 p.m.

Journey is Journey... w/ or w/o Steve Perry... they've been Journey even before SP. The new singer Arnel Pineda is no doubt "AMAZING"... he gave Journey a new energy... and their fans... more years to look forward to. ROCK ON!!! JOURNEY FOREVER!!!

• Lev Mendoza
    Sept. 20, 2008 8:22 p.m.

Arnel Pineda is a Filipino, but like you and me, he is also a citizen of our global community. And he has a voice that silences critics! Kudos Arnel! Keep up! We love the new Journey album

• journeyfan08
    Sept. 17, 2008 2:01 p.m.

all the racist is so ignorant about how the music business is, who cares if his not white, its who can bring money to the table, and that filipino man arnel pineda did just that, hey atleast his not black, ahahhaha, steve perry era has its moments and days already, and thats way over now, the new journey band is doing good with the sold out concerts, and not to mention 3 generation fans, and not to mention asian fans, they already have the white people but with there new singer they also captured the asian people, music is just politics is who can bring more money to the band, and right now the journey band is lauging there way to the bank. smart man neil schon.

• mike del
    Sept. 13, 2008 10:20 a.m.

THE MERE FACT THAT YOU GUYS GIVE COMMENTS ON AP MEANS HE IS A GREAT CATCH! LIKE IT OR NOT, NOBODY CAN MATCH AP'S VOICE IN THIS GENERATION. THE YOUNG GENERATION RULES SO OLDIES WHO CAN'T ACCEPT CHANGE JUST FADE AWAY. JOURNEY WAS JUST LUCKY TO GET ARNEL EARLIER... IT COULD HAVE BEEN LED ZEP , VAN HALEN OR FOREIGNER ... THIS GUY'S VOICE IS THE FUTURE !!HE'S GOT THE HEART AND DEDICATION! 'WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN' AND 'WHERE DID I LOSE YOUR LOVE' ARE MY FAVES IN THE NEW TRACKS!! STEVE PERRY WILL ALWAYS BE THE GREAT STEVE PERRY BUT AS FOR THE PRESENT, ARNEL PINEDA' VOICE IN MY IPOD WILL HELP ME FINISH MY 10k RUN!

• Mac
    Sept. 3, 2008 4:55 p.m.

Well, Journey is winning over younger fans, 30 and below, most of whom have not seen Steve Perry perform live as a Journey man. In the Virginia Beach concert I went to at least half of the audience belonged to this age group. And guess what, they loved Arnel and swayed and sang along. Comparisons between Steve Perry and Arnel Pineda are therefore irrelevant to them. This is bad news for Steve Perry fans who can't move on. To naysayers who predicted, wished, actually, that the new Journey wouldn't amount to anything, tell that to the mainly sell-out crowds. In Virginia Beach, they might lynch you for it. Just joking.

All the best for Journey and to Steve Perry too, whatever he wishes to do.

• jon
    Aug. 18, 2008 1:29 p.m.

come on you guys,.even arnel said that he can't be SP and i know he knows he will never be,.SP is one of his favorite singer,he look up to the guy,. and there's no point comparing this two singers,. let's just be thankful that the band we all love to hear found a new singer to front them,. im a filipino and a pro musician as well,. ive met lots of americans when i was abroad performing and they were great people and i made friends with them,. let us not be fighting or arguing over this,. we pinoys are thankful that our Arnel was given a chance to front a major band there in your country,. this made us proud like our Manny Pacquiao did,.

so pls,. let us stop arguing and saying bad things about SP or AP,.. there'll be no journey without Sp and Sp without Journey,. and now they have Ap,. and realise that we still have Journey to give us new songs and inspiration,.

and we filipinos are thankful to the members of journey for giving Ap this chance and to the Americans who appreciated Ap and supporting the band as a whole..

peaceto all

• Russ
    Aug. 15, 2008 1:55 p.m.

The show that these three bands puts on is incredible, particularly Journey's part. While there will always be those who will be unhappy without Steve Perry as the frontman, I must say that Arnel Pineda has won my wife and me over. His vocals are incredible, and his onstage presence is spectacular. If you are still doubtful, pick up the new three-disc album and check out the concert DVD in there.

• harbormaster48@yahoo.com
    Aug. 6, 2008 11:38 a.m.

When will Neal wake up?? Van Halen did.....will Journey's legacy be as the Beatles is ?? WISH WE HAD, BUT DIDN'T.......NOW WE CAN'T!!!!!!!!

• 80sManJourneyFan
    Aug. 5, 2008 10:46 a.m.

If you are a true rock & roll fan, you have to understand that true rock & roll is like GENUINE ART or TRUE LOVE, it is UNIVERSAL, it knows no boundaries, knows no color nor culture nor language barriers. Obviously that's what Neal Schon and the rest of the Journey Band feels like, so if you really are a GENUINE JOURNEY FAN it shouldn't matter who the frontman is. You wouldn't ditch your favorite football team if it's starting quarter back get's injured or retires would you? Disliking this guy while comparing him with SP I think is ignorance and prejudice, which is wrong,it's 2008 cavemen and cavewomen your should know better, but you have the freedom to be that way if you want to , just don't deny you're a racist, else you become ignorant and a hypocrite at the same time.

The guy has been rocking for 25 years, and writes songs as well, he's from the Philippines a country in South East Asia. For those of you who don't know, U.S.A. does not mean the United States of Alabama.

• ettenot
    Aug. 3, 2008 3:27 p.m.

Arnel Pineda is an amazing talent! Go Journey!!!

• cmpidaho
    July 30, 2008 8:47 a.m.

To compare the two singers is ridulous, ENJOY!!! Journey as a band has always been great, and with Steve Perry they made great music, and with Arnel they will again make great music. Just enjoy, and not compare.

• bp
    July 27, 2008 5:54 p.m.

journey rocks!!!!

• journey
    July 26, 2008 2:40 p.m.

i love journey so much i can sing every one of there songs and i am only 12. Steve perry gave my sing lessons. LONG LIVE JOURNEY!!!!!!1!

• Troy
    July 24, 2008 10:34 p.m.

Just enjoy the music people rather than aguing who is better between SP and AP. Peace!!!!!

• Thornton
    July 23, 2008 10:15 p.m.

Any Elvis sightings lately? It would be a blast to see "The Pelvis" teach Perry how to shake it so he can test if the surgery went well. That would be one awesome duet.

• airblizzardkick
    July 23, 2008 9:35 p.m.

cant wait for the concert this friday!the new cd is great.i have loved sp all my life,but ap is pretty good.i think that the simple fact that journey is still playing is awsome!good to you journey.

• Rob
    July 23, 2008 8:33 p.m.

And I from Seattle, home of Heart. Now living in Iowa, I saw the show last night.

'Mistral Wind' from Heart blew me away. You could hear the heavy Zep influences, no doubt the result of gowing up listening to the early Zep albums during the dreary rainy Seattle winters. Anne's vocals throughout the night were epic. Filling every nook and cranny of that hall.

• pg
    July 23, 2008 9:54 a.m.

I Love them all, especially SP!

• Edwin
    July 22, 2008 11:40 p.m.

Go Journey....

We are waiting for journey to do asian tour....
    specially in phillipines

• The2ndcoming
    July 22, 2008 11:11 p.m.

I was born and raised in the Bay Area, home of all this great Journey music. Having listen to the band for many, many years back to the days of KFRC, KMEL, etc. Journey sounds as good, if not better than ever!

I saw the show in Tahoe after a long day of rafting, I had to make it up to Tahoe in an hour and find a ticket. I felt all the energy from each of the bands and the crowd. Face it this is the real deal! See for yourself and ejoy it for now and stop living in the past! Go with it and grow you'll be surprised! U just might have a Revelation! Peace to all and God Bless!

• jesse
    July 22, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Arnel's the best. Just shut up! Will you!

• Jamie
    July 22, 2008 8:32 a.m.

SP no more, AP is the future!
    Get a grip. Do you guys understand English? Done! no more! Kaput! nada! left! dead! cutoff! maggets on the deadmeat!

SP is selfish, there was a Journey before SP. He tried to control Journey because he was selfish. SP was no doubt a good singer in his prime but now he passed.
    AP did not ask the job. He's been approached to continue the Journey tradition...so what's wrong with that?
    Those maggets are crying out loud because AP is a better singer than SP, even when SP is younger. Go listen to the archives.
    You maggets will cry so hard when you see AP & Journey will perform half time in NFL superbowl.

• DarkKnight2
    July 21, 2008 5:38 p.m.

Arnel Pineda is the here and now. Don't live in the past. Enjoy the present. As some things got to go, SP, well, he wanted to go. What can you do about it? If AP is too hot for you or too Asian perhaps, there's the door...get out of the kitchen. Give the guy a chance. He's trying his best and giving all that he got.
    Can you fault him for that? What I would give to have a voice like his. Would you....too? Or are you just jealous because you can't. Journey on!!!!

• Brettlovejourney
    July 20, 2008 10:38 p.m.

Hi I like to make some comment about between the singers that I am big fans of SP for many years I love his voice like angels but he is gone for good! I still missed him forever. Arniel was great singer that I thought of his ablums was great! I love their songs but without SP make me thinks that I want to go concert but I heard they play in West Vally but Gosh I missed it!! so one things like to say JOURNEY ROCKS!!
    I think AP is great and fit in the group for long time so the bands look great but old age! Wink!

Love ya guys!

Brettlovejourney

• stone in love journey rocker
    July 20, 2008 9:29 p.m.

Hey jss... I saw journey last summer with jeff soto, he totaly blew up the journey music! In other words he stunk up the place. Many fans left disgusted believe me! He may be a good singer, just not for journey. As a fan for about 30 years I too think steve perry is one in a million,but I also think Ap is a fantastic replacement. My personal favs. from revelation are Don't Walk away, where did I Lose your love,what it takes to win,after all these years. And some of the redone classics Arnel has duplicated perrys voice to perfection, it is amazing. My biggest kudos go to Neil Schon who is a truly incredible guitarist,he too makes journey music what it is,without neil it too wouldn't be journey. If any of you get a chance to buy neils solo work (go to journeys website) it is well worth the investment, and enjoyment, it is mainly instrumental, but I gurantee you will enjoy this gifted man. So long journey fans, I look forward to september 9 when journey brings their music to Michigan!!!

• anonymous
    July 19, 2008 11:13 p.m.

Journey was just so lucky to find AP first...it should have been Jimmy Page....LedZep?

• Tricia
    July 19, 2008 11:08 p.m.

What is wrong with you guys? You are comparing apples to oranges! (between Perry & Pineda).
    What is important is "THE BAND AS A WHOLE", the RIGHT MIX. We should be thankful that finally, we have new decent songs to sing or hum...again.
    To the Asian/American-Journey fans, please don't get offended when people will make comments about all Asians do look alike; because, Asians make comments that all Americans look alike also.
    Let's just enjoy what we have now & hoping that Journey will give us a lot more years of great music!

• Journeyane
    July 19, 2008 9:40 p.m.

Arnel is a great singer but he will admit he can not compare to SP. Im so glad Journey released new songs so people can see Arnel sings those songs great because you have only heard him sing them. I follow everything Journey or Steve Perry I can find. Steve is still singing and producing. I don't think SP will ever play with Journey but I believe will hear his voice again.

• GoJourney!
    July 19, 2008 9:02 a.m.

After trying unsuccessfully with Sotto and Augeri as their fontman, Neal Schon and his buddies needed to find "The One" to resurrect Journey after being frustrated with Steve Perry holding them up for a decade. They found the YouTube kid.... "The One".... who exceeded their expectations much to the surprise of even their worst critics. I was in that concert.... and being an old big fan of Journey, it almost made me cry to see this kid, not only resurrect the band, but bring them to new heights. This kid has the voice, showmanship, energy and heart that a real rocker should have. You can see how everybody in the band integrate and enjoy playing in unison with him in the front. They have full trust in his ability to entertain the crowd and you can see how they show their appreciation for having him as their front man. He is "The One".

Thank you YouTube!!!!!!

• rst
    July 19, 2008 1:57 a.m.

Well, SP is already gone. He can not sing anymore. If you have seen his YT video year 1994, he is worst.

I guess this is the reason why he does not want to return.

For most SP fanatics, move on. Your idol left you many years ago along with his voice.

• Nimble
    July 18, 2008 7:03 p.m.

Jeff Scott Sotto was the worst Perry replacement they had. He was fired in the middle of one of their tours. The drummer had to sing a lot of the songs because Sotto didn't have the pipes to do some of them. The other one, Steve Augeri lost his voice trying hard to do the Perry notes.

• Jackie CHUNG
    July 18, 2008 6:14 p.m.

DONT STOP... BERIEVING!

• Resurrected Journey Fan
    July 17, 2008 10:42 a.m.

Those who commented on how Arnel Pineda looks like Jackie Chan are truly prejudiced! You need to get out in the world more often and see how diverse the rest of the country is. Both SP and AP have great voices. If you listen carefully, Arnel has a greater range and more powerful voice. SP didn't want to come back --so accept it. AP did not choose to be the lead singer for Journey, he was chosen! So move on because I believe he will be with Journey for a very long time.

• Journey Fan
    July 16, 2008 2:50 p.m.

Check out Journey's interview with MelodicRock. Ross Valory told a fan who called in to "change the channel, if you don't like what you're hearing." The band has moved on and so should all of us, true Journey fans.

• Tee El
    July 16, 2008 7:37 a.m.

To all the folks commenting on how Arnel Pineda looks like Jackie Chan, gimme a break. You guys need to get out a bit more and see the world (sorry, but America ain't the center of the known universe). All Asians don't look alike. Pineda is Filipino and is already a huge star back in his native Philippines (and a rising star here in the States). Kudos to him and his awesome talent. Journey has never sounded better, and it's obvious Pineda has injected so much hard work and energy into the band and its fans. Go Arnel! Represent!

• ROCK101
    July 14, 2008 11:46 a.m.

Loved the concert. cheap trick lacked the energy that heart and journey had. Loved Heart, I could of left and been satisfied after hearing them. Journey just blew me away. Sure, he isn't Steve Perry, but his still pretty freakin' good. I think that Revelation is fantastic, but to enjoy you have to think of Journey as a different band. I hope they stick with Pineada or they will lose a ton of fans after a fantastic album like revelation. Loved his charisma on stage. It's a shame that nobody can see the complete bands anymore, I saw Foriegner but without Lou Grahm. I wish I could see Boston but they don't have Brad Delp. (Dead) at least they have a reason for not having a lead singer.

• rlj
    July 14, 2008 8:45 a.m.

Arnels' "journey" is still being questioned and I've read somewhere that Neal Schon "settled" for Arnel Pineda as if saying Pineda will do for now. I think that is so demeaning and disrespectful to both gentlemen. Do you really think Neal is that desperate to just pick anybody? He and the rest of the Journey members must think highly of Neals"find", And yes greatful Pineda wll not let this oportunity slides by without giving 100 % of his capability as a musician. To us, even my 25 year-old son was so impressed of Arnels Talent, we are supporting you all the way. Arnel Pineda may you find comfort that you're not alone in this new world of yours, you can spend time with us in your off days(Just my AM. husband and myself(Pinay)No media involve. God Bless You!Neal, Jon, and Ross you're still awesome!!Oh by the way, I do have a 24 yr.old daughter a broadcast journalist graduate, still looking for a job in LA but doing some "red carpet interviews.Thank you for the beautiful After All These years, Beboy

• Taranaaaaah
    July 14, 2008 1:11 a.m.

the people in the concert were stunned how he sounded great and qualified to front journey. a person who owns a record company is willing to make a deal and produce a record for journey and will distribute it to countries he knows will sell out.

this will prove to detractors that "apineda is the real deal".

• Antonidas
    July 13, 2008 11:27 p.m.

I wonder what would happen if Perry released a Solo Album??

• anonymous
    July 13, 2008 8:24 p.m.

Arnel Pineda is awesome. He sounds better than Steve Perry. He's the best.

• APfaninHB
    July 13, 2008 3:52 p.m.

The above comment from "truefan" is correct. All of the new songs from the Revelation album were written prior to Arnel joining the band. JSS was canned for undisclosed reason and the band could not tour and/or record because they had no frontman to sing them. Thanks to YouTube and Noel Gomez (big fan of Arnel who uploaded The Zoo's vid's) Neil discovered AP. Remember, Arnel did not ask for the job, he was offered the job by Neil/Journey. "The search is over" by Survivor -covered by The Zoo was the first video that Neil saw on YouTube, then followed by "Faithfully". The rest is history.

• truefan
    July 13, 2008 1:16 p.m.

I agree with the comment above that Arnel didn't have any contribution to all the songs except of course just his voice but the fact was from what I've read all the songs were already written prior to him joining the band and they just needed a voice for it. So I'm hoping that if the band decides to do a follow up on Revelation he will be able to contribute since it was also reported that Neal Schon invited him to write songs with them. I just checked out YT video of him singing FOREVER by Kenny Loggins and he sings it like he owns the song. What a very soulful rendition. Amazing talent from this guy.

• CLR
    July 13, 2008 12:53 p.m.

"Steve Perry can still sing."

I have no doubt SP can still sing. Whether he can still sing Journey songs the way he did years ago remains to be seen.

I wish him well; but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the current version of Journey. The new singer rocks.

• Anonymous
    July 13, 2008 12:38 p.m.

Great concert, but something has to be done about the traffic driving in. Trapped 2 1/2 hours on roads, finally parked about a mile a way and walked the rest. Missed Cheap Trick.

• mrlim
    July 13, 2008 11:35 a.m.

Arnel Pineda worked his butt off to be living his dream. I think the majority of the people who attended the concert enjoyed a spectacular performance from him and the band. I think the comparisons between AP and SP are very debatable. Steve was great and he touched a lot of fans including myself. Arnel on the other hand is inspiring and is the future of Journey so we should respect the band's decision. There will always be "haters" that will criticize Arnel mostly because of his race I feel. It is unfortunate because this man truly believes in the American dream. Go ARNEL, keep doing what you love and Dont Stop Believing! Please dont HATE...CONGRATULATE!

• WB
    July 13, 2008 11:28 a.m.

What an amazing show!! Arnel is just an incredible ball of energy!! There is not a better person for the job as Journey's frontman right now.

All this talk about comparing the voices of SP and AP is fine - but I think one aspect that people don't look at enough is that not only did Steve Perry sing those classic songs, he helped write them. Now the songs off Revelation are great, but I think most would agree they don't have that magic, legendary feel that the older songs do. Similar to how a mother knows her child better than anyone else, there is a certain way that Steve Perry was able to sing those songs with more feeling than anyone else ever could. When one helps write a song, they can perform it better than anyone else. Isn't it interesting that Arnel did not help write a single song on Revelation? He can sing them well, but something is missing - the passion that only comes with writing a song from the heart. Thats what SP had more than any other Journey singer will have.

• journey4ever
    July 13, 2008 10:49 a.m.

what??? JSS?? are you kidding me? why do you think Deen busted his butt off singing most of the time while they were touring with him..simply bec he is not suited to sing some of the their songs. they needed a true tenor voice and JSS is more of a heavy metal type of voice. sure he can rock but sorry to say that he just didn't fit with most journey catalogues. again just my opinion.

• APrulz
    July 13, 2008 8:43 a.m.

True, SP can still sing, no doubt about that but were talking about the range that he had about 25 years ago...hello..it's 2008 right now and whoever can serve the plate on the table should be given a chance. We all age and I'm sure 10, 15 years from now AP may not be as good as he is at this moment so why not strike the iron while it's hot and enjoy all the music that the group currently offers. And hopefully maybe 10, 20 years from now I can always look back and say Wheww, I was there at that concert and I had the blast. Just like most of SP fans here say when they were at his concert during the peak of his career. Let's just enjoy and PEACE to all!!!

• rocker
    July 13, 2008 2:06 a.m.

I think the likes of Pineda are the one needed to bring back the true rock and roll in the mainstream music. Why won't we be thankful for this rather than petty fighting over who is greater over whom.

• PerrysGirl
    July 13, 2008 12:54 a.m.

Steve Perry can still sing. When Randy Jackson was recently asked about Steve Perry said he had lunch with Steve a month ago and he is working on new music and it is "hot". In August 2007, Go Kart records released GuFF's album Symphony of Voices, which featured an unreleased Journey song called "I Can See It in Your Eyes" which was produced by Steve Perry. Perry also used his voice on the track. On March 30, 2008, former members of Journey's Management Team revealed that Steve Perry had recently played them demos of new material and that his voice was as good as ever. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) can still belt it out and he is 60 years old.

• Globetrotter53
    July 12, 2008 10:43 p.m.

Arnel Pineda is the here and now and living his dream. Quote from AP " SP is one tough act to follow" so to all SP fans, please give AP a chance and you're a true Journey fan you'll love the music and accept reality, SP is yesterday!!
    I am a SP fan but he walked away and left us fans hoping he'd come back. Life is a "Journey" so let loose and enjoy life.

• Mach 1
    July 12, 2008 10:19 p.m.

Singing is about the voice and how good you hear it, physical appearance comes second only to the voice. In music, it's more of what you hear and not what you see! Great job by Arnel

• AC
    July 12, 2008 9:21 p.m.

No one is trying to TAKE Perry's place.HE left Jouyrney on his own accord.Its the TENOR voice that is the Journey sound and legacy.The voice that they need happens to be in Pineda's voicebox.Keep loving Perry but a true Journey fan accepts Journey's decision--Clearly they made the RIGHT one. I think re-recording the old songs is a business decision so they can license them without hassle from Mr Perry. LOVE REVELATION!

• LGS
    July 12, 2008 8:35 p.m.

No one could ever take the place of Steve Perry.Journey is not the same without him.

• Randy Simon
    July 12, 2008 4:05 p.m.

I was waiting for my ride, he didn't show up. I was pissed and ready to rumble. Out of my frustration, I walked around in the area, then, there was this amphitheater. With my $25.00 bucks, I went in easily and watch this concert. It was Journey. My fave. They sound great. I can't recognize the singer. He looks like Jackie Chan, He may be Chinese or Vietnamese singing Perry, but I don't hear any accent. Whooha, he sounds great. Wow, nowadays, anything is possible, Band can upgrade to anyone. Hmmm... Maybe Eagles might start to look for some Iranian lead singer. What do you think?

• arnel pineda
    July 12, 2008 3:33 p.m.

pineda is the best

• New - Journey rocks! ! !
    July 12, 2008 2:45 p.m.

Absolutely fabulous concert. See u guys next year.

• JSS
    July 12, 2008 2:10 p.m.

Journey should have stuck with Jeff Scott Soto, the best singer they've ever had in the band.

>At 60 years old you really think Steve would get up there and sing like he did 25 years ago?

Tom Jones does.

• Anonymous
    July 12, 2008 2:07 p.m.

Augeri could hit the high notes from the concerts I could be at! Biut what do you expect Pineda is the youngest singer they have had since the 80s. I could hear the notes just fine too. Fabulous show!

• Anonymous
    July 12, 2008 1:09 p.m.

Leave Steve Perry alone... if your are a fan of Steve Perry (only) and not Journey, then go listen to your old CDs and don't go to the new Journey concerts. The comparisons have to stop because Steve Perry is a great part of Journey's past ... but no longer part of the present nor its future...

• One Fan of All Three
    July 12, 2008 12:39 p.m.

Wow! What a concert! I enjoyed Cheap Trick. Heart was exceptional. Journey was everything I could have hoped for because I prepared myself with their latest CD/DVD. My heart is still pounding and my foot is still tapping. Where is their next concert within my reach?

• seriously
    July 12, 2008 12:35 p.m.

At 60 years old you really think Steve would get up there and sing like he did 25 years ago? Steve is too smart to make a fool of himself! We love you Steve but Arnel is qualified to do the job!

• ladylsr
    July 12, 2008 11:49 a.m.

I went to see Arnel and he was spectacular and the chemistry was there. Get on with your journey Arnel.We love you.

• Bigger Fan Now of Journey
    July 12, 2008 11:32 a.m.

I LOVED this concert! I had read about the new lead and hoped he would match Steve Perry. He was awesome-not Perry, but fabulous. Loved his energy and loved the whole band's energy and smiles. Loved the graphics on the screen. Only bad note, I originally sat on the grass and could not hear a thing thanks to the stupid people who talk through the concert and try to pick fights(drunk obviously). Why do they even go? Luckily I got a better seat and the night was heaven. Loved Heart--they continue to rock after all these years!

• poor you
    July 12, 2008 10:59 a.m.

You are absoultely right, "No Steve Perry"! YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST LEFT! NO BUSINESS BEEN THERE, ANYWAYS.

• Wow
    July 12, 2008 10:02 a.m.

Wish I had been there. Rock on Journey.

• Anonymous
    July 12, 2008 8:40 a.m.

Arnel looks suspiciously like Jackie Chang... could it be?

• No Steve Perry
    July 12, 2008 6:13 a.m.

Without Perry, still don't care for Journey. Should have left after Cheap Trick, they were the best.

• AZ Jazz Fan
    July 12, 2008 4:05 a.m.

I second the comments of Hero...the new singer was spectacular, if you closed your eyes you couldn't tell the difference between he and Steve Perry. Much better than their previous lead singer of the past few years. Kudos to Journey for not mailing it in on an old timers tour, and bringing some serious game to the park last night! And Heart as well! The Wilson sisters are the Queens of Rock!

• LoganJourney
    July 12, 2008 3:24 a.m.

Agreed. Journey was amazing tonight, and between the Revelation and tonight's concert, I'm a true believer in the power of Arnel Pineda. He was great and they really put on a show that gave me chills. And yes, Neal Schon was AMAZING as always. For my dollar, he is the best guitarist alive.

• Maxx Candy
    July 12, 2008 2:00 a.m.

I loved the show and what a bargain only 25 bucks. 3 great bands. Journey sounded great. I couldn't even tell that it was not Steve Perry. I bet most people there had no clue it was a different singer.
    Heart was flawless. Sorry I missed Cheap Trick, Just caught Surrender at the end of their set while in line but the 3 hours I was there were very entertaining.

• Hero of Canton
    July 12, 2008 12:34 a.m.

This was, BY FAR, the best show Journey has put on in Salt Lake City in years and years! The energy was amazing, Arnel hit the notes perfect but added an energy and zest that has been missing from the band since '81. The whole band was flowing and the set was tight, from top to bottom. It was gratifying to hear the classics done well and it was a pleasure hearing the new songs from 'Revelation.' Journey is Arena Rock at its finest and from the band that defined the genre we as fans got the ultimate feast tonight. Neal was amazing as always, Ross was the ham while sewing together the melodies, Jonathan interjected class and straight up talent and Dean proved, once again, why he is the hardest working drummer in music today.

Thank you to Journey for 30+ wonderful years of music and thank you to Cheap Trick and Heart for adding some different flavors to the musical feast tonight.

Journey on!