Utah

U. finds genetic link to nicotine addiction

Study says gene variances increase risk of dependency

Comments

• jim
    July 11, 2008 11:22 a.m.

Here's my take on this subject.

Exodus 34:7
    ...visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the childrens children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

A parent that is addicted to a substance will transfer a tendency toward that addiction to the offspring. Having a genetic weakness toward an addiction does not mean that the offspring must become addicted. If the offspring chooses not to partake of the addiction then the genes that s/he passes on will be lessened in their own offspring for that addiction. If they follow the same addiction pattern as their parent, the offspring will pass along a stronger genetic tendency toward the addiction.
    As one poster here inquired about a genetic weakness toward cola, though the gene may not yet have been found, I'll bet that it exists.
    Having a weakness is not an excuse to partake, but requires greater resolve in the persons that carry the weaknesses passed onto them from their ancestors.

• HImself
    July 11, 2008 10:11 a.m.

The gene does not make you start smoking, it keeps you
    smoking for 50 years. Is that what you were getting at?

• Yeah
    July 11, 2008 9:57 a.m.

I am going to believe brother Chuck over scientists at the U. There you go. Do us all a favor and keep your uneducated comments to yourself.

• wrz
    July 11, 2008 9:52 a.m.

Brother Chuck Schroeder @ 9:37 a.m.:

"I know this first hand also, I been smoking for the past 50 years. Against The Words Of Wisdom as well. Because I like it, and am HOOKED on it. NO GENE is out there that makes one smoke. I don't believe it for one second either."

You're right. It's a matter of will power. There is no will power gene.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    July 11, 2008 9:37 a.m.

THIS IS BULL-DOO-DOO - "using tobacco has been discovered by genetic researchers at the University of Utah, common genetic variations affecting nicotine receptors of the human nervous system can seriously increase the chance that those who begin using tobacco daily before age 17 will be severely nicotine-dependent their whole lives" - tobacco companies ADD into the tobacco and paper also up to 525 other thing's to get one HOOKED ON THEIR PRODUCT, when its burnt, that heavily underscore's the importance of public health efforts, and gets KIDS HOOKED on it, anywhere from ONE PUFF to 4 cig's total, kid's SMOKE because it's only a bahavioral problem, and THEY DO IT to act cool, is all, the majority of tobacco product's go to third world countries, two are China and India, the rest stays here in America, for new generation's to get HOOKED ON. I know this first hand also, I been smoking for the past 50 years. Against The Words Of Wisdom as well. Because I like it, and am HOOKED on it. NO GENE is out there that makes one smoke. I don't believe it for one second either.

• wrz
    July 11, 2008 9:38 a.m.

Now, if they could just find the genetic link to Pepsi addiction.

• uncannygunman
    July 11, 2008 8:31 a.m.

Interesting research, but how exactly does it "heavily underscore the importance of public health efforts to reduce the number of youths who start smoking?" After all, the headline could just as easily have been "60% of youths at low risk for lifetime addiction." And if gene therapy were to be able to eliminate this new-found risk, would that be an argument for allowing teens to smoke without restriction?

My point is, keep the science reporting separate from the propagandizing.