Washington County sends dossiers of select FLDS members to Texas officials

• This is funny
    Aug. 14, 2008 6:25 p.m.

lol I have spent the last half an hour reading this and have to say Thanks for the Laugh. I did how ever note that as I was laughing about this, that some of the stuff stated in several of the posts could be considered as a threat. So if your concern is if a stare is considered threatning, you might be a little more careful with your posts and what your putting in to words. Just a thought thanks for the entertainment.
    peace out

• A visitor
    June 19, 2008 9:45 a.m.

The ESP abilities of the law enforcement staff are truly amazing. They noted that one of the FLDS members present - "Seemed to be taking mental notes of the security staff present."

This person was sitting there, perhaps not as good at "staring" as some of the others, so instead, took a different tact and strategy, that of observing who was in the room. This type of behavior would make me nervous if I observed it.

Everyone knows that "taking mental notes" is a subversive activity which should be outlawed.

• Grandpa Phil
    June 17, 2008 8:21 a.m.

Uhm, "former flds", I doubt that FLDS schools are to blame for your children being behind. Your own spelling and grammar are an excellent indication that the problem is at home.

Thanks "Emma from Illinois" nice post. By the way, Anna Nicole Smith was probably "educated" in the same school that "former flds" went to.

• fomer flds
    June 16, 2008 8:03 p.m.

my kids went to flds school's for three years the are now in public school and every one is behind my oldest is going to 7th grade and can only read 3rd grade level thabks flds I am just glad i woke up and wish some more would for the sake of there children

• its2latebaby
    June 16, 2008 12:03 a.m.

DesNews staff: please tell us you didn't take this list seriously. You know the history of the washington county deputies, right? This trumps the pot calling the kettle black. You may even have some ex- deputies from W.C. working in your neck of the woods.

• Emma from Illinois
    June 16, 2008 12:03 a.m.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Is this the way the Southwestern States work? What in the world is this!!! Have the people from Texas, and her sister States had a proper education? Mug shots, now, for what? Staring at people in court? Where is the crime? Is this perhaps the anti-FLDS people trying to justify their cruel actions..."Look we had good reason to take nursing babies away from their mother's arms, point guns at them, act like Nazi officers, hold adult women hostage"..., is this their justification for their actions? This is a complete outrage!!! All that this is, is an action to make the Texas Officials involved in this raid look better after what they did. All they did was make themselves look...well...stupid, I don't know the word for it. I am so glad that my daughters, and I are in one of the educated States, this would not happen in Illinois. As soon as I read this article all I could do is laugh. Don't go to court down there, and give menacing stares, you will have to provide a mug shot for the public! Oh, I forgot, Anna Nicole Smith was educated in Texas...

• Anonymous
    June 14, 2008 12:26 a.m.

I am, um, entertained by the poster here writing about state dossiers on everyone. I do not believe or disbelieve this comment, but I think it merits more investigation. People in responsible positions are free to observe and draw whatever conclusions they want. ONE problem with the dossiers on everyone concept, though, is there is no recourse if there are errors, even big errors.

To everyone here bashing the DN for publishing this info, this info is available because of a GOOD public records law! Y'all oughta be GRATEFUL for that.

I am also, um, entertained that there is only one woman on the list. In her case, it's really not hard for me to fathom why people whose job it is to maintain the security of a jail might just POSSIBLY be alarmed by the nature of Ruth Cooke's visions. Whether she would actually DO anything is a different problem.

It seems the FLDS are a deeply sexist outfit, but if law enforcement has only one woman on their list, I still think there is a decent chance they have no clue about important dynamics within the FLDS

• Interloper
    June 12, 2008 10:04 p.m.

Amplification: The court ruled there was not enough evidence for the state to maintain custody of all the children. The investigations continue. It may be months before we know which children will be found to have been abused and be removed. One of the tells about the people who say the courts found no abuse is that they conveniently forget that enough evidence was found to continue investigating.

• Interloper
    June 12, 2008 9:56 p.m.

Actually, twenty females, five of them still minors, were found to have been impregnated while 16 or younger. Some of the adults had just turned 18. The court that was not sufficient evidence for the state custody of all the children based on that evidence.

• Grandpa Phil
    June 12, 2008 12:56 p.m.

Well "To Janet and Grandpa", looks like DN is not going to post my first reply to you so I will spell it out simple for you. If you take the time to actually READ the court documents presented to the Supreme Court like some of us did, you will see that CPS did, in fact, state that they had found no evidence of abuse by either the mothers or the fathers. That is the reason the lower court decision was ordered to be vacated, because the lower court ordered that the children be held longer than 14 days when there was no evidence of abuse presented to the court.

I am not FLDS. I live in NC with my children and grandchildren but many of us are watching the developments in this case closely. We are watching to see if bigots like you prevail in your efforts to hurt those children or if the authorities prevail in depriving these families of their rights under the Constitution. I could not care less about warren jeffs or FLDS beliefs. Their rights are OUR rights and, if ALL are not safe, NONE of us are. Now take your bigotry somewhere else.

• To Janet and Grandpa
    June 12, 2008 9:36 a.m.

To Janet:
    Blessed are they who are persecuted for rigtousness.. yes, I agree. However, Warren is locked up and is not rightous. he said so himself. he even tried to bash himself against the prison walls for his own blood atonement. He is an evil man.
    to Grandpa: CPS have NEVER said abuse did not happen. That is a lie and you know it. Tell me, what age should a girl be allowed to marry? Why did "Big Willie" say you guys are changing your practice?

• Grandpa Phil
    June 12, 2008 8:23 a.m.

To "Question", I have yet to hear any of the FLDS "growl".

• Grandpa Phil
    June 12, 2008 8:14 a.m.

Jann, I could start with "Anonymous at 12:44 PM", "sticking together", and "Warren" and go on from there. People are not as stupid as some of you FLDS haters seem to think. Some of us that follow this story are actually intelligent and have a vested interest in how the Constitutional issues pan out. I don't really give a care about FLDS particular religious beliefs. CPS has already acknowledged that the child abuse they alleged at first simply was not there. If the criminal investigation finds anything, I will be among the first to call for a lynching; however, I really believe that investigation will pan out just as the abuse one did - just a lot of smoke and mirrors on the part of CPS. What I do care about is a bunch of adolescent children with nothing else to do coming into these blogs and pretending to be something they are not just to stir up more controversy. It is hard to tell children to "grow up" but some of the adults in here could sure stand to do some growing up.

• Question
    June 11, 2008 11:56 p.m.

Does a growling dog have to actually BITE you before you consider it a threat?

• Janet
    June 11, 2008 11:55 p.m.

Reply To: Anonymous | 12:44 p.m. June 11, 2008

Dear Anonamous,
    They have not locked Uncle Warren up, he is in God's hands and it would do you well to leave him there. A little tact wouldn't hurt you either.

DN can print whatever they want, truth or not, it's a free county. To all those seeking to do harm to the FLDS, I want you to know I follow the example of Warren Jeffs, I forgive you and leave judgemnet to God. I will continue to stand for what I believe. "The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong but only to those who endure to the end". Shakespeare

"Blessed are they who are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad; for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." Matthew 5:10-12

• Clueless
    June 11, 2008 11:53 p.m.

You people that are bashing the Wa. County investigators for "slander" have no idea of the things that they have uncovered concerning these trials. You are clueless. The investigators were immersed in this case for months. They interviewed hundreds. How about you? 5 minutes of reading an irresponsible piece of sub-par journalism makes you an expert the facts of the case and the strangers involved? Get a clue. The dossiers were provided to help provide security for the proceedings and help pinpoint any POSSIBLE problems. I'm amazed by some of these responses. They're really ignorant and overlook the purpose of the document from which these "quotes" were taken out of context.

• Mike L.
    June 11, 2008 11:53 p.m.

The State of Utah maintains approximately 800 thousand dossier's on various people who those in Utah law-enforcement believe are a threat to society in general.
    I know this to be a fact. I actually viewed the State's inner web "website" that contains this information.

Find a state employee with enough rank/power and they can access this inner web website and obtain information simply by entering the person's name or a birth date.

By entering a birthdate only, one brings up hundreds, sometimes over a thousand names and all one must do is click the name of a specific individual and up comes the file on the person.

Many of those people have no criminal or violent history at all. Yet, their is information listed in these dossier's that tends to portray these individuals as violent threats to society.

Now that's scary.

• Wake up!
    June 11, 2008 10:07 p.m.

The document that the Deseret News is using entirely out of context here was writen BY a law enforcement agency FOR a law enforcement agency. This record was not meant for public eye. Deseret News is responsible for any "slander" accusations.

The extensive investigation that went on regarding the case in Washington County uncovered things that the public has no knowledge of... nor should they.

Wake up and get a clue. Anything could happen at anytime. It would be irresponsible to expect less.

• Just Wondering
    June 11, 2008 10:05 p.m.

I would like to agree that the publishing of this list is one of the bigest examples of irresponsible journalism that I've ever seen! DN published a confidential security e-mail (that was not addressed to them or ever intended to be public knowledge)exchanged between two Law Enforcement agencies. This document was intended to PREVENT any potential problems and attempt to ensure a fair trial. On this list most of the individuals mentioned were noted that they were not likely to be violent. To address the many comments about staring & intimidation, Law Enforcement personel receive many hours of training on how to observe and interpret body language, they are experts at this and their testimonies are admissable in court. Let's place the blame where it belongs, if DN had not published a piece of CONFIDENTIAL corespondance there would have been no public exposure for the people listed in this report! Shame on you DN and shame on all of you who are too ignorant to figure this out on your own!

• Moniker
    June 11, 2008 6:59 p.m.

Hmmmmm. What would be the purpose in warning Texas about some people most of whom the warning party says have shown no tendency toward violence. But they might? Since they are good a staring(alleged)Really? When their children were taken they could have reacted with violenct, but, they didn't.

Whoever sent these allegations, you should be ashamed of yourself. You don't do a very good job of representing Christianity. And what kind of newspaper uses un-named sources when they in fact have the name of the public employees who issued the warning? This is not standard practice - this was no leak, the names were on the emails. Is the LDS Church controlling the content?

Allegations seem to rule the day. I wouldn't want to live polygamy myself, but I see clearly that this is no longer about the FLDS practice, it's about persecution and slander.

• From the Creek
    June 11, 2008 5:26 p.m.

I was educated in the public school system through 9th grade. Then, I went to two years of private FLDS schooling. Let me tell you, I learned more in those two years than I learned through all my previous years of school. And I'm not talking about just FLDS doctrine, but general education -- reading, writing, spelling, literature, algebra, geometry, geography, drafting, science, accounting, and building skills.

"And finally, anyone who can read fluently and enjoys reading can educate himself."
    That's exactly right. I'm continually educating myself through reading and studying to learn new skills.

• Never been inside an FLDS school
    June 11, 2008 4:36 p.m.

re-Uneducated: I've never been inside an FLDS school to see what they teach, but I expect that they teach basic reading and writing and math--the same tools that enabled my children to excell in college without going to traditional high school.

The FLDS take on history is probably unique to them, but have you ever read the history books of a middle eastern country's schools? Or China? Or Russia? How about Venezuela's? Each culture teaches history by its own perspectives and you and I wouldn't agree with them, either.

However, many people in less industrialized cultures have only an 8th grade education, plus vocational training (check out the UK and some of the other European countries--if you are not going on to college, you're shifted to vocational education). We pretend everyone's going to college and don't prepare our non-college students for ANYTHING!

My objection was to the assumption that anyone not educated a certain way would, of necessity, be uneducated. If, as the NEA says, education is to prepare you to function in society (as its leaders determine) then perhaps the FLDS are doing just that!

• zxcvbnm
    June 11, 2008 4:32 p.m.

Ok now for the staring pole. Is staring against the law or not.
    Just to add a bit of humor to the mix here. If you are bothered by a stare just reach up and pick your nose. I will leave it to each individual to determine finger debth.....in every case I have tested the person fixing the gaze will look the other way.
    Mama he's looking at me can be solved without calling mama with a simple finger gesture....ok now children we can play nice now......on with the trial.
    If law enforcement is so keen on preventing staring they can start with eliminating the perp walk......just a suggestion.

• shame on you
    June 11, 2008 4:19 p.m.

This is disgusting. This community was subjected to a horrible hate crime and now you are trying to make them look like the Manson Family ?
    They didn't attack anyone they were attacked and had their children terrorized by a bunch of goose stepping thugs.

• re - Uneducated
    June 11, 2008 4:03 p.m.

no one said home-schooling is bad (except California). What we are saying is that the FLDS stops at 8th grade, and half of what they teach is bunk. That's sad. What don't you understand?

• re: witness tampering
    June 11, 2008 3:35 p.m.

Staring is not witness tampering.

• realitycheck
    June 11, 2008 3:24 p.m.

These FLDS are simply slave-owners that are mad that their little slaves might have been de-programmed.

These are some scary folks. Nothing worse than a religious fanatic, and these people are as fanatical as they come.

• Good one
    June 11, 2008 3:17 p.m.

Now THIS is entertainment. Or would be if it wasn't created by the people elected to protect me.

• Re: zxvcbnm
    June 11, 2008 3:10 p.m.

No need to add staring; witness tampering is already against the law.

• Uneducated?
    June 11, 2008 2:51 p.m.

Jann, your educational prejudices are showing!
    A good many kids come out of our local high schools as "uneducated" and pretty nearly functionally illeterate. My 5 homeschooled kids took placement tests at the local community college and the lady in charge of the testing center told me to quit being worried about being an inadequate homeschooler--that my kids tested better than many of the kids going thru the honors program at our 3000-student local high school. 3 of the 5 are college graduates--one currently on full scholarship for a Master's degree. My DS son reads fluently. The other son works construction (his choice) and has passed college algebra.
    Home education, or even church-sanctioned small private schools (Amish, FLDS, etc.) do NOT mean people will be uneducated. There will be top students in both environments and poor students in them, too.

• Jann
    June 11, 2008 2:19 p.m.

Re: Grandpa Phil, please tell us who is posting as FLDS?? I believe most FLDS are uneducated, so who are you talking about? All the posts that I have read on here look to me like FLDS nonsense. And the DN mug shot of Willie Jessop is a hoot...lol!

• zxcvbnm
    June 11, 2008 2:12 p.m.

Looks like Hildebrand will add stareing and praying to the next list of FLDS control laws that need to be passed in Texas.
    Lets see.....we'll have no stareing, no old dresses....no fresh vegtables (salmonella tomatoes is an FLDS plot), no pressed shirts or pants, everyone must wear red, can't eat uninspected cheese, and anyone that supports the us constitution will be on a subversive list.
    I am sure that there will be more time wasted by the state concocting lists and warnings for the texas authorities. At least the cops are busy writeing lists rather than tuning up their tanks.

• Grandpa Phil
    June 11, 2008 1:54 p.m.

You can sure tell school is out. So many adolescents online these days. I would hate to think that so many of these ridiculous posts are typed by adults. SOme of these people show all of the reasoning power of a 12 yr old. OK, maybe 9 yr old. The most laughable are the anti-FLDS posing as FLDS making stupid statements to make the FLDS look bad. That is juvenile and pretty transparent.

• Bruce
    June 11, 2008 1:53 p.m.

Lets see:
    -Someone "stares" at someone else in court or uses "body language" that could suggest that they might not be a total wimp, and we need to post their pictures like mug shots to the masses. (If a muffler were to backfire on Judge Walther's street today, the jackboots would go round up the whole bunch for questioning.)
    -A guilty conscience is an ugly thing but the Judge needs to understand that everyone is not as vindictive as she is.
    It's the FLDS that need the protection from the judge, not the other way around.

• katie
    June 11, 2008 1:27 p.m.

this article is PATHETIC! it really is religious persecution. i think the deseret news should be ashamed for publishing this article. i don't care what the purpose was in it. these people have done nothing wrong based on the article. if you want to post names and faces with crimes, make sure they are real crimes. pathetic....

• Warren
    June 11, 2008 1:24 p.m.

"Washington County must be stopped. Sue them, remove them from office... They could do it to anyone and everyone."

The paranoia indeed runs deep in our community. When you've been knowingly breaking the law and looking over your shoulder to see if you're about to be caught for as long as we have, you know everyone is out to get you.

• Re: outrage
    June 11, 2008 1:17 p.m.

"Do they show ONE crime committed by any of these people, ONE conviction, even one formal complaint filed."??

Does Warren Jeffs and other FLDS man being convicted and sent to prison for abusing children count as a crime?

You forgot to include Arizona, and now Canada, in your list of places you should deeply distrust.

Basically, any place the FLDS have abused children should be included on your list.

• Sticking together
    June 11, 2008 1:03 p.m.

We FLDS need to stick together. These outsiders are trying to bring us down. They are heathens. While we know with out a doubt we are gods only pure ones.

• WHAT?!
    June 11, 2008 12:59 p.m.

Whatever happened to innocent until PROVEN GUILTY!

Here you are saying that IF a disturbance should happen (which I think they're entitled to, given the way Texas has maltreated their families) here are the ones that most likely will be guilty.

Don't publish stuff like that, and shame on the goverment/law enforcement for doing this!

Leave them alone!!!

• This is an outrage
    June 11, 2008 12:56 p.m.

Washington County must be stopped. Sue them, remove them from office, whatever it takes to stop them from violating the rights of it's citizens. Do they show ONE crime committed by any of these people, ONE conviction, even one formal complaint filed. NO. It's all allegations, suspicions, observations of biased authorities. Nothing more. It's libel, it's slander, it's criminal. The "authorities" just won't stop. They must be sued to get them off these peoples' backs. There is NO excuse for this kind of thing. They could do it to anyone and everyone. I have a deep distrust of Utah and Texas authorities over this. I wouldn't live in Texas and maybe it's time to leave Utah.

• Stephen
    June 11, 2008 12:56 p.m.

geez...almost all of these folks on the dossier are either described as people who once gave somebody a mean look or as people who've never exhibited any violent or intimidating tendencies.

Looks like Judge Walther and ilk are no better at counting threatening adults than teen-aged girls.

• I wonder
    June 11, 2008 12:48 p.m.

I wonder who notified the judge that "enforcers" from the FLDS "could possibly" be out to get her--Sarah again?
    Maybe they do have enforcers--I hope not. Maybe they'd even like to get her--could hardly blame them. But stupid I don't think they are. Right now they have many, many people nation wide who are upset with Texas' heavy-handed and unconstitutional treatment of the FLDS people. They'd be FOOLS to lose that support by any violent action.
    No, I'm not FLDS.

• Anonymous
    June 11, 2008 12:47 p.m.

witch hunt? | 10:14 a.m. June 11, 2008
    There are witches in Texas? Who knew.

"Dear FLDS sympathizers: You reap what you sow...
    Deal with it. You are busted.
    Have a nice day."

You sound like Charlie Manson.

• Anonymous
    June 11, 2008 12:44 p.m.

Well YOU no it alls! For your information you have locked up the only true PROPHET in the world living in this day and age. Please set Warren Jeffs free. Our people need his good wisdom and knowledge.

• momof5kids
    June 11, 2008 12:33 p.m.

The reason this dossier was sent out was because the judge in Texas who ruled on the child abuse case received notification that "enforcers" from the FLDS sect could possiby be a threat to her and family. Her home and self are under guard. The DN did not print the reason for the dossier. If the DN is your only news source, you might not know that.

• Spinazi
    June 11, 2008 12:19 p.m.

Dear DN, The comments here seem to indicate that your fair-minded and literate readers outnumber those for whom you published this defamatory article - for now. But unless you mean to replace those readers with those who only read the headlines on tabloids at the checkout, you might want to rethink your editorial policy.

• Thompson
    June 11, 2008 11:50 a.m.

This is a terrible article. There is no context at all (I had to go to Salt Lake Tribune for that) and the people listed are treated in a public forum as if they are guilty and have already done something illegal. C'mon, let's have a REAL article and not a piece of yellow journalism.

• From the Creek
    June 11, 2008 11:49 a.m.

"Reading all the FLDS posts where FLDS men post as woman is more than a bit scary. FLDS are not to be trusted in any way shape or form."

Would you tell us just HOW you know that FLDS men are posing as FLDS women? That's almost as laughable as this article. Do you really believe that not a single FLDS woman knows how to use or has access to a computer with internet access? I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. I like to laugh at all the accusations thrown around against us, but then I realize people actually believe them.

Just so you don't accuse me of being an FLDS man posing as a woman, I actually am an FLDS man.

• plankton
    June 11, 2008 11:38 a.m.

To silenta: I thought the same thing. What would be such slanderous descriptions on the part of law enforcement? a hunch???

• Intimidators
    June 11, 2008 11:38 a.m.

Anyone who thinks some of Warren Jeffs' most rabid supporters weren't doing everything they possibily could to try to prevent their "prophet" from being convicted of rape simply doesn't understand the blind devotion that they have for Jeffs.

They broke law after law after law in trying to keep him from being arrested. They certainly weren't going to let him go to prison if they could stop it.

Now they want to derail any possible criminal charges that will be coming from the investigation of child abuse at the YFZ ranch.

They'll claim of course, that no abuse has been proven, and that proves that there was no abuse.

Just as they claim that Warren never participated in the abuse of any 14-year-old girls.

• Re Thank you DN ...
    June 11, 2008 11:25 a.m.

Thank you DN, You are correct. I cant believe anyone who thinks a little intimidation by eye contact is nothing. We have all been intimated by eye contact at one time or another. Think back when you were a child, that is about the mental status of most of these women. We all have to remember the inner fear they have of these men. Elissa was a very young women at the time she was intimated in trial, kudos to her bravery. Intimination can be stronger then words because you never know exactly what the consequence will be. That is just my opionion...

• Tainted blood
    June 11, 2008 11:22 a.m.

This is no witch hunt and no religious persecution. There is nothing religious about FLDS, old men, raping teenage girls. The FLDS leaders telling these girls that the outside world is all evil and corrupt, and telling these young FLDS girls that this is what GOD wants them to do, and that they need to put up, shut-up, and take it, and bear all the rapes of older FLDS perverts. They have no chance for a legal marriage. They cannot whatsoever have their precious Mormon pioneer blood tainted by outsiders.

• no way
    June 11, 2008 11:22 a.m.

You have got to be kidding me!! I am SHOCKED that this article is being published with the DN! I have seen some amazingly stupid articles...but this takes the cake. WOW! Nothing like slander against innocent (not proven guilty) individuals.

• Thank You DN--NOT!!
    June 11, 2008 11:02 a.m.

Re: Thank You DN

Thanks for coming out of your hole in the ground, to share with us your vindictive comments. You can go back now.

• Southern Utah Resident
    June 11, 2008 11:01 a.m.

This is ridiculous. Washington County Sheriff Kirk Smith panders to these degenerates and ignores crimes including abuse of children in the FLDS community then wants to come across as altruistic with the situation in Texas.

Kissing up to the polygamist community means votes for Smith. His shameless ignorance is disgraceful. He needs to be replaced.

• N H
    June 11, 2008 11:02 a.m.

Reading all the FLDS posts where FLDS men post as woman is more than a bit scary. FLDS are not to be trusted in any way shape or form. The FLDS women and children are a very good indication of all the intimidation that takes place in the FLDS cult.

DN this was a nice article.

• simple Logic
    June 11, 2008 10:52 a.m.

Simple Logic would suggest that if an Act of Violence was going to happen it would have happened when they were being attacked and having their children Kidnapped, (I never happened). To try to compare FLDS with the MOB is like trying to compare"-10" and "+10" they do have a lot in common, very comparable. If we can just get folks to ignore the obvious we have a case.

• Silenta
    June 11, 2008 10:45 a.m.

Everyone, I think this article is meant to show how ridiculous the allegations are. I don't think the Deseret News published it to show that these people are a danger. Rather to laugh at how silly some of these claims are.

• Me2wired
    June 11, 2008 10:43 a.m.

"Seemed to be taking mental notes..." Are you joking me? We heard outcries during the trial with everyone wondering where the fathers of these children were out. It seems that any father who actually SHOWED UP was then flagged as a possible conspirator. "Seemed to be intimidating..." They took their children! What did they want them to do? Give them nice smiles, a handshake and wave at them?

• Thank you DN...
    June 11, 2008 10:39 a.m.

for shining a little light on the not so pleasant dark side of some of the FLDS.

Of course they will react viciously to any reports that reveal their true character.

Just as they have for every victim who has ever testified against them, they will try to intimidate and discredit anyone who tries to tell the truth about them.

• Amazing
    June 11, 2008 10:36 a.m.

this is by far the funniest Article I have ever seen in DesN, I had to check the URL 3 times to make sure I wasnt at the Onion.com, ROFL

• Bill from South Dakota
    June 11, 2008 10:32 a.m.

To witch hunt?:
    This article is nothing more than propaganda generated by Utah law enforcement and propagated by the DN.

• Grandpa Phil
    June 11, 2008 10:22 a.m.

Yes, it seems there ARE, in fact, witches in Texas or, in other words, some VERY ugly people (on the inside).

• witch hunt?
    June 11, 2008 10:14 a.m.

There are witches in Texas? Who knew.

Dear FLDS sympathizers: You reap what you sow. You lie in the bed you make. Your prophet, when caught outside Vegas, was found with boatloads of cash, disguises for a small clan, enough fake IDs to start a junta all the attitude of, well, a venomous snake.

Deal with it. You are busted.

Have a nice day.

• pligchild
    June 11, 2008 9:54 a.m.

HA HA HA!
    That list made me laugh!

polygamist to law enforcement: "Howdy"
    Law enforcement: "Flora, was he threatening me?"
    Flora: "Without a doubt, howdy means your next on the blood atone list!"
    Put him on the LIST!

• Anonymous
    June 11, 2008 9:31 a.m.

THESE MEN ARE INNOCENT ! No history of violence,but they looked at people wrong or are high rankers of the church so they are a risk???? OOOOOH PLEASE!!! THIS IS DEFINETLEY RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION NOW !!!!

• Grandpa Phil
    June 11, 2008 9:12 a.m.

Well said Karl. You nailed that one on the head. Next, they will be doing dossiers on everyone who makes a positive posting on these blogs in favor of the FLDS. Hey UTAH!!!!!!! Check out my military record; this 'ole grandpa is more dangerous than any of them. LOLOLOLOL

• StaringThemDown
    June 11, 2008 9:05 a.m.

Where are the 50-80 year old men that have sex with teens? I thought this was all about old men having sex with children? But I guess all the children having sex turned out to be adults.
    Now the best they can do is show photos of people that might stare you down in court????????????

Obviously, the state is worried about these people and will create anykind of slander they can think up. Why? Is the state worried about thier own crimes?

• Karl
    June 11, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Not one episode of real evidence. Now we have thought police who "seem" to know what a man seems to be thinking and that appears to be approaching criminal activity worthy of mention and the creation of dossiers on folks. If we cant find any real crimes a person has committed, the law seems to be willing to go into character defamation mode as the person may be thinking of doing something illegal. I think if I were FLDS, I would be very intensely engaged in observation of the proceedings of the court. What a farce, nothing more than slander, innuendo and character defamation. If a person could be convicted on what they appear to be thinking, they better round up all of these folks, along with most of society. If this is the level of investigation our law enforcement folks engage in were all in big trouble.

• Too much
    June 11, 2008 8:37 a.m.

If the worst thing these people did was glare at people in court, this article is irresponsible, bordering on witch hunting!
    Yes, I'm sure the leader of the FLDS has a security team--most churches do. We may not like the FLDS beliefs and, indeed, some of Mr. Jeff's actions seem to remove him from sincere consideration as a righteous leader (I'm sorry, FLDS readers, I do realize that you revere him as Prophet), but it is not extraordinary that there should be a security team.
    But to publish pictures and list this ambiguous list of "charges" certainly tends to incite people unnecessarily--not to mention that it makes Utah law enforcement appear highly unprofessional. I'm not totally comfortable with sharing such vague charges with Texas law enforcement--given Texas' record of jumping the gun. And I think it highly unprofessional for this type of information to be given to the press. There is certainly no danger to the citizens of Utah from these people.
    I'm not FLDS and don't live in Utah, either.

• Another witch hunt
    June 11, 2008 7:49 a.m.

why would this paper publish this and not post the obvious fact that the state of Utah has no evidence to back up any of the claims ie Willie the thug has a passion for fire arms etc

• Anonymous
    June 11, 2008 7:14 a.m.

And the beat goes onnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Havrn't these people proven themselves. For heavens sakes they had their most prized posessions (their children) and weren't violent! Give them a break!
    What next? Will they be accused of the next earthquake?

• Contrarian
    June 11, 2008 1:44 a.m.

Publishing such slanderous musings of unknown persons in law enforcement is irresponsible, underhanded, and vicious. What is your purpose in defaming these people?

If your purpose had been to inform your readers about clandestine correspondence between law enforcement in Utah and their counterparts in Texas leading up to the YFZ raid, you could have done so without publishing names and what look like "mug shots".