Elder Ballard addresses LDS reality-show success

• James
    June 5, 2008 12:05 p.m.

Situations like this simply force people to look at PEOPLE within the church versus church doctrine itself. I didn't leave Mormonism because of the people, it was because of the doctrine. Best of luck to all Mormons who want to excell in entertainment or any other field. Aren't we all trying to do well? But the media are focusing on simply secular accomplishments and not really trying to analyze Mormonism's teachings, which is what it's REALLY all about when you ask LDS why they do what they do.

• Re: No Irony Here
    June 4, 2008 12:51 p.m.

Good luck finding those 'perfect' people out there who never ever ever make mistakes or have flaws of any kind whatsoever. By the likes of your message you obviously don't believe there's such a thing as 'perfect'. I'd direct your attention to Jesus Christ who I consider the only entirely 'perfect' individual out there. I'd direct your attention to his teachings. I make no claim to be 'perfect'. To say, however, that there is no God is to say there is no devil as well. To say there is no God and no devil means there is absolutely no basis for any moral, ethical, or behavioral direction. If you say there's 'no opposition' then you deny the existence of the color black and the color white before you used to write these words. No absolutes? (that's a contradiction in and of itself) - Some things are absolutely true and the fact that there is a God and the fact that there is a devil is one. The fact that there is good and that there is evil is another. We all have good and bad sides to us. See the good. thanks

• The irony in "No Irony Here"
    June 4, 2008 11:08 a.m.

I think I am less intelligent after trying to understand your logic. Thanks.

• Magic Mormon
    June 3, 2008 10:22 p.m.

>You dont get magic powers when you join the "church".

I did.

>what is up with all the hate from people who are not Mormons in Utah?

A variety of reasons have been documented, and it is usually a combination of any number of the following.

1. Jealousy
    2. Desire to manufacture victim status for themselves.
    3. OCD
    4. Booze and drugs
    5. Negative self image
    6. Nothing else to do in the trailer when Oprah's not on.
    7. Self-absorption
    8. Evil tendencies
    9. Good old-fashioned stupidity
    10. Being a U of U fan

• Observation from DC
    June 3, 2008 7:47 p.m.

I stumbled onto this article looking up a news post on si.com, and I have to ask what is up with all the hate from people who are not Mormons in Utah? I have met a lot of mormons over my career and have zero complaints. The folks on this site sound like very small (figuratively not literally--but maybe in some respects literally) people looking for excuses to be angry.

• No Irony Here
    June 3, 2008 5:52 p.m.

Honestly, I have no problem being judgmental and critical of Mormons. I am an ex-Mormon and an ex-believer in god. being judgmental and critical of Mormons is not hypocritical or inconsistent for me because I do not claim to live according to their "be kind" standards. But THEY claim to live those standards, and therefore THEY should be criticized for NOT ADHERING to them! You may feel free to criticize me for not living up to the standards I profess - good luck! I don't profess to live up to any standard you can publicly define! But Mormons are supposed to live up to standards that they define and publicize, so when they fail they are deserving of criticism!

• Hyperreal
    June 3, 2008 5:18 p.m.

>Do you really think that being a mormon has anything to do with being successful or talented

I think the real question is why anybody would think that talent has anything to do with American Idol or any other "reality" show. I've had the misfortune of seeing a bit of a variety of them, and have yet to see any talent whatsoever, by Mormons or anybody else.

The fact that so many people think the contestants are talented is nothing more than a sad commentary on the horrific sense of art and music that afflicts so many in the modern world.

• ex mormon
    June 3, 2008 4:34 p.m.

It's kind of ironic reading comments from those who hate mormons stating how intolerant and self-righteous they are; aren't those who are slinging the mud at them doing EXACTLY what they despise? I am an ex-mormon and I got caught up in really disliking the religion because I preceived that many of them looked down on me for my shortcommings rather than focusing on their own. I was humbled when I came to the realization that I was doing exactly what I despised of them--I was pointing my finger back rather than focusing on my shortcomings. I hope those who leave such antagonistic comments regarding mormons may one day realize the irony.

• worldly wrandy
    June 3, 2008 2:11 p.m.

Yeah smile for the world to see! Reality shows are the farthest thing from real reality. Does TV create reality or has reality created the TV. Get outside and live people!

• J T Browning
    June 3, 2008 8:30 a.m.

This "inconsistency" we sometimes see in those who profess to be a part of the LDS Church, is an unfortunate but realistic part of living in a fallen world. It also runs across denominational lines, as well. I attend a Bible College in New York, and some of the so-called "Christian" students here definitely fall short of what most people consider to be Christian behavior and standards. It may well be only a few, but that's all it takes for critics to jump up and scream, "SEE? They are all hypocrites!" Ghandi, who loved Jesus Christ but never converted to Christianity, was once asked why he never did so. His reply: "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians."

• K M
    June 2, 2008 11:15 p.m.

What is more sad?

The mean spirited comments of anti-mormon's that will never change, that will always be there? (Let them have their oppinions! Our country is founded upon free agency, and free speech...)

Or the "I'm-so-fed-up-with-your-crap-about-the-religion-I-care-about-and-I'm ready-to-explode-all-over-you" comments by mormons who forget themselves and who they should be representing??

Isn't being a Christian all about representing Christ, and behaving in a way that He would sanction??

Shame on any Mormon who takes the bait. You're anger makes us all look bad, and does nothing positive. People will say and think what they wish, but it will never effect the church (see the growth people, these things only increase awareness about us, and bring new people to the church) these comments can only effect YOU if you choose to let them do so. Let it go...it's better to be happy and be a duck, letting it roll off of ya! They have a right to their opinions.

• SDM
    June 2, 2008 11:00 p.m.

Yes, I'm a Mormon. But I find it interesting that we even take notice of the "trend" of Mormon success. Having been a Mormon all of my life, I know that there is a mixture of all kinds of people both in and out of the church. It is not particularly newsworthy to me to say that some Mormons are successful, or greedy, or pleasant, or rich, or poor, or shy, or anything at all. They are simply people.....just like everyone else.

• omorfi
    June 2, 2008 8:07 p.m.

well we are not here to choose what kind of friends to be with..or not following the church standard kind of dress we wear..i believe that we have our fre-agency to used..we will be judged according to our works!!!

• Tina
    June 2, 2008 5:49 p.m.

Yawn Yawn Yawn!

• bright
    June 2, 2008 5:22 p.m.

Mormons are lucky that such a good writer took the time to tell this story. It was well researched and beautifully written. And it made them look pretty good.

• Re: Reality
    June 2, 2008 4:46 p.m.

I think your question is a great question and you make a very good point. Same film graduate from the last comment - - - To further comment your comment I think there are certain, unspoken trends of bias at times. - Logistically I think there were a lot of members of the church who supported Mitt Romney largely on the basis that he is a fellow Latter-Day Saint (and not necessarily on the merits of his good character -whether or not he was arrogant or had other human frailties) - sometimes that happens. Sometimes there's reverse bias - Certainly we're not handed a magic wand after we're baptized - we do, however, make covenants with the only perfect covenant keeper in the universe - The fact that we have made those covenants and if we keep them, does set us apart. We yet live in a world where luck can flop either for the good or the bad. - There are some VERY honest drunks and there are sober liars, and, "it's better to have a good enemy then a bad friend" - Your comment was well put.

• Reality
    June 2, 2008 4:26 p.m.

Do you really think that being a mormon has anything to do with being successful or talented or winning a game? You are successful because you worked for it, you are talented because you practiced hard, you won a game because you were athletic or smart or got lucky.
    Wake up and smell the hot chocolate. You dont get magic powers when you join the "church".

• To Kay
    June 2, 2008 2:54 p.m.

I'm a member of the church who is very ordinary. I'm a film graduate from the University of Utah and that's about all the claim to fame I can make. Ironically although I am a film graduate, I've never desired fame. I think like anyone else, however, I want stability for my current and future family. I've confronted many trials during my life and I'm aware of the feelings of resentment that can easily come when it seems those around us either succeed for odd reasons, perhaps dis-honest reasons, or when they simply inherit fortunes when there are those who struggle. Ultimately, rich or poor, LDS or not, God is just and all justice will be compiled a future time. Furthermore, God loves you and he loves us - he causes 'the sun to shine on the just and the unjust alike'. For the duration of this life where agency is a factor - where producers of beer and cigarettes make fortunes by killing people - God permits agency - we'll all pass away and we'll all be judged. I hope better things to come for you . I can only encourage you and wish you the best!

• So Cal
    June 2, 2008 2:12 p.m.

Amber, sorry, but it's not just Utahns who are obsessed with California. It's everyone. California pretty much determines what kids wear in pretty much EVERY state. Maybe not Texas, 'cause they have their pride to hold them back. Plus, that's all we see on TV shows and commercials.

• David
    June 2, 2008 1:17 p.m.

It is an unfortunate thing that Mormons are judged because people seem to think that they should be perfect. "We still claim the privilege of worshiping almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience and allow all men the same privilege to worship how, where, or what they may." Unfortunately, people from other religions have chosen the perspective that it is not alright for Mormons to "worship how, where, or what they may." But, I cannot understand how those who profess to be Christian would have a problem with how we choose to worship Christ. Some of them claim we are worshipping the wrong Christ! I did not know there was more than one.

• Raymond Takashi Swenson
    June 2, 2008 1:07 p.m.

Back during the 2002 Olympics, several news stories focused on the depth of artistic talent in the state. Several featured the fact that there were more pianos per capita in Utah than any other state, and featured the Five Browns as an example.

We routinely encourage competition in sports, both team and individual. When competition is fair and honest, there is nothing wrong with it. It stretches us to achieve things beyond what we thought our capacity was.

The fact is that it is the news media who are taking notice of the artistic talent of Mormons. The Church is not promoting itself through those contestants. The promotion and the money made from advertisers is all made by the TV production companies and the networks. The benefit to the LDS Church is simply that, when people understand that Mormons can be admirable achievers, it helps destroy the stereotype that anti-Mormons promote that Mormons are unthinking robots isolated from the rest of the world, wearing funny hats and black clothing. It breaks down prejudice that lead some people to oppose us building chapels and temples, or causes some governments ot keep out our missionaries.

• California
    June 2, 2008 12:52 p.m.

Amber: The reason most Utahn's are obsessed with California is because they or their families moved to Utah from California at some point during the last 15 years. I think there may be more former Californians in Utah than there are native Utahn's in Utah (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I grew up in Salt Lake City. While I love visiting California, I make my home in Texas (the TX drivers are a little more polite).

As for interest in other cultures, it may have to do with a lot of people having intercultural experiences (I'm thinking missions or study abroad programs). I think its a good thing, and more Americans should try it out (especially down here in the Bible belt).

• We can do better
    June 2, 2008 11:42 a.m.

My Mormon friends. We can do better. Let's hear where someone has been hurt and do better. Our close-knit, trusting communties has bread some painful outcomes in business and our attempts to avoid world carnality often breeds worldly ignorance and even explosive and hidden abuses. Let's do better - as we are taught we should center our lives around the Savior - as do many in other faiths. As His example shows, center your life around charity and real love. We are taught to advance and share our talents. We should do it in a spitit of love, encouragement and giving. We can do better. I'm going to try.

• Franz
    June 2, 2008 11:15 a.m.

Anonymous 8:24, Read Elder Ballard's comments. It sounds pretty much like he is saying that being Mormon has little to do with it. Like BYU guy said, "Magic happens". David Archuleta is good; if he were Catholic, he would still be good.

Utah makes excuses: Wow! I hope you feel better with that out now. Dude, you definitely have issues. You should really get some therapy before the angst kills you.

• Amber
    June 2, 2008 10:15 a.m.

Utahns are obsessed with anything California,Hollywood, and the beach. How many Utah dorks act or talk or dress like their from California? Just look around. They are obsessed with other people and cultures. Try embracing your own for a change. Be happy who you are and it's okay to be a good member of the church and live in Utah. It's really okay!

• Utah makes excuses
    June 2, 2008 10:11 a.m.

YOu don't realize what you have until it's gone. YOu better shape up Utah or your gonna look like Vegas minus the casinos and gambling. Serious the kids in Utah are jacked, it's the get rich quick scheme capital and everyone is smiling on Sunday like nothing is going on. I don't think you are a peculior people when you have such a strong support group around you and you screw it up.

• Tiffany
    June 2, 2008 10:07 a.m.

when you have a state full or mostly full of the same religon, plus it's headquarters you find these kind of problems. I lived in Utah when I was going ot school and I thought the members up there were just different. I used to laugh when someone in class who is from Utah county area would say that Utah is no different than anywhere else. We had early morning seminary, we had a very diverse enviroment where we had to be on guard all the time. These Utah kids just make excuses to be different.

• GAL50
    June 2, 2008 10:04 a.m.

As for American Idol, a southerner always wins. There are a few reasons for this, in my northern/western opinion.

Southerners are friendly church-going people. Music is important in churches and likability counts for a lot on Idol. People from friendly cultures are likable. Southerners also support each other and the show appeals to southerners. So, a lot of votes come in for the southerners.

Nearly all of the contestants are religious people which reflects an often overlooked benefit to church-going. Children get musical training in church.

Much of what I've mentioned about the South also applies to Mormons. The Mormon kids have been very wholesome and that plays well with the older voters.

PS-Let's not forget Tia, who came in 3rd in the spelling bee.

• In Charge
    June 2, 2008 9:59 a.m.

Who's in charge of you? | 9:31 a.m.,

Funny you should say that, and yet Mormons chronically recount the stories of their "persecution" by mobs and anti-Mormons in rapturous glory, taking pride in how "offended" they always have been and currently are! Indeed we may say that Mormons have sanctified that CHIP on their shoulder over how the rest of the world "offends" them regularly.

Too bad Eleanor Roosevelt was a member of that "great and abominable Church of the devil" (according to Mormonism), and too bad Mormons don't take her advice seriously.

• To Nebraska
    June 2, 2008 9:49 a.m.

I wonder where you find such logic. Are you really saying that any organization that receives "bad press and hatred" "must be worth looking at since Satan is fighting it so often?"

Some organizations seem to get a lot of bad press -- like the KKK, the Nazis, terrorists groups, etc. Would you apply the same logic to them?

• Who's in charge of you?
    June 2, 2008 9:31 a.m.

To those who say Mormons treat them bad or make them feel inferior, I'll refer to Eleanor Roosevelt who wisely stated,"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." I'll paraphrase and adapt this a little differently. Nobody can make you feel offended without your consent. Regardless of what anyone says or does, you are responsible for your emotions and reactions. Don't blame someone else.

• Nebraska
    June 2, 2008 9:02 a.m.

I have met several converts outside the Utah/Idaho area who have joined the LDS religion because of the bad press and hatred. As they have pointed out, only Satan could orchestrate such hatred and division. So obviously, the LDS church must be worth looking at since Satan is fighting it so often.

• Missionary Pride
    June 2, 2008 8:44 a.m.

Why do some former missionaries or their families refer to their 'two year trip' on a national show, but locally rephrase it as having gone on a mission?

• Love in Hate's Clothing
    June 2, 2008 8:34 a.m.

To No wonder... | 12:14 a.m.,

Hate is NOT QUITE the deadliest pollution. Actually, the subtle, arrogant "hate" that Mormons have for everyone who is not like them IS the deadliest. You know what I'm talking about -- the kind of "hate" that condemns everyone else because they haven't "earned" a "testimony" like the righteous Mormons have done, and so they patronizingly, condescendingly (but with the strongest contempt and disgust) SAY they "love" others and just want to "help" them by sharing the "truth" with them!

THAT kind of hate is the deadliest pollution because it passes itself off as righteousness and goodness and in God's name! It is the quintessential hate in love's clothing, mingling surreptitiously among us to devour us in pernicious ways.

• How Come?
    June 2, 2008 7:27 a.m.

How come if you are LDS, yet have gay friends, you have to make yourself seem the model of tolerance?

How come if people read the Deseret News, they have to either be pro-LDS or anti-LDS?

How come people use these comments as a means of venting their frustrations and anger?

And even worse, how come I'm wasting my time reading them, and adding to them?

For some things - there are just no answeres!

• SLC gal
    June 2, 2008 7:07 a.m.

No fair.... I want to be on "Survivor"... it's my turn to be the next big LDS reality star (doesn't that sound like a show in it's self. LOL!! j/k)!!!!!!!

• No wonder...
    June 2, 2008 12:14 a.m.

There is so much war and suffering in the world. It seems that there are those just searching for any reason to hate and inflict hurt on others.

Be the change you wish to see in the world....

• Becky
    June 2, 2008 12:03 a.m.

Is there any relief? | 9:03 p.m.,

So now you are claiming the Deseret News as sacred Mormon ground, upon which heathen are not allowed to tread?

The DN is a public newspaper, advertised and distributed online to everybody who is interested! NOT just to Mormons!

Your self-centered assumption that the DN is only for Mormons is naive and arrogant. Shame on you for trying to appropriate the DN for your own selfish purposes and deny others the right to freedom of speech!

• Demeaning
    June 1, 2008 9:54 p.m.

I think the question was meant to demean our LDS reality show success. Entertainers are to entertain. They usually are not thought about in terms of their church. Why single out LDS folks on television talent shows. How many times has the Pope been asked about famous Catholic entertainers? And there are many on the "famous entertainer" lists: Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Hope, Bob Newhart, John Wayne, Spencer Tracy, Annette Funicello, Paul McCartney, Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby, Alan Alda, Loretta Swit, Pierce Brosnon, Sean Connery, Sophia Loren, Elizah Wood, Harry Connick, Jr., Lawrence Welk, Rosanne Cash, Nicolas Cage, Celine Dion, Josh Grobin, Loretta Young, Robert De Niro, Tim Conway, Jackie Gleason, Gregory Peck, Al Pacino, Sylvester Stallone, Faye Dunaway, Ann Bancroft, Nicole Kidman, Gary Cooper, Vivien Leigh.....It's the people who spend their time quietly working within the church and living worthy lives who are far more important than people who are seen on TV.

• Is there any relief?
    June 1, 2008 9:03 p.m.

I enjoy the articles and some of the comments on here and am grateful for D.N. for providing this service. I am saddened that these sites have become a forum for people who want to rant against the LDS church for whatever reason. I suppose the reason we see so much of anger on here is because this might be the only place where someone, anyone will see their anger eruptions. If I wanted to re-read all the same boring,tiresome rhetoric that I have heard from these people for most of my life, I would go to one of "their" sites where apparently no one (except themselves) goes. I long for clean air sometimes.

• Shows not mentioned (please)
    June 1, 2008 8:32 p.m.

well, isn't that special

June 1, 2008 8:03 p.m.

I would venture if demogrphics were recorded in realty TV, the mormon population would be well well down the list. If it makes you feel better then go ahead an yell at the top of the mountain on feats of mormons that nearly have nothing to do with them being mormon. The problem with yelling when mormon: 99.9% of the world is tired of it and chooses not to listen.

• Shows not mentioned.
    June 1, 2008 7:56 p.m.

Wasn't there a BYU student who appeared on the MTV show the Real World, but got kicked out of BYU, despite always representing LDS principles well?

The Sundance channel has a show about prostitutes, and one of the featured people used to be LDS until she was drugged and raped, and decided to go against her Bishops advice to marry her rapist.

• To: Who would of though
    June 1, 2008 7:50 p.m.

Thanks for sharing. It is wonderful how many succesful and famous LDS members are out. Something to be said about being a member in the church.

• Who would have thought
    June 1, 2008 6:48 p.m.

Katherine Heigl, The Ringer, Knocked Up Grays Anatomy; was raised in the Mormon Church. Her parents were converts. Although she is not a practicing Mormon now; what is termed inactive by LDS standards, she still values many aspects of the religion. There is a good write up on her in Wikipedia. When I found out about this, I though it was just some gossip from people that had been misinformed but I checked it out and it is true.

• Erik
    June 1, 2008 6:36 p.m.

News Flash: the Deseret News doesn't publish news.

• Joyce
    June 1, 2008 6:33 p.m.

This is such a silly and irrelevent story that I am throwing in the towell and cannot even think of a positive nor faith based comment. It is just plain superficial and screams of superiority. Boy is this a slow news day in Utah and I catching on to the reason why we are mocked among christian faiths.

• Arkansas
    June 1, 2008 4:42 p.m.

The only people who hate Mormons that much typically live in Utah. No one outside of the non-Mormons in Utah care that these individuals have success and are Mormon. All of us just see them as good people just trying to do their best

• And what have we learned??
    June 1, 2008 3:11 p.m.

WHO CARES?!?!?!

June 1, 2008 2:46 p.m.

• To Mom in MO from one in UT
    June 1, 2008 1:22 p.m.

I know what you mean -- the comments sections are the worst, because that's where people can anonymously spill their vitriol. I've only read 2-3 articles in the Tribune in the past year, and when I made the mistake of reading the comments, I was nearly sick, seeing that people could be so hateful.

BUT! Don't be too discouraged. In the real, non-virtual Utah, I encounter next to none of that. I have excellent Mormon, ex-Mormon, Baptist, Catholic, and non-religious neighbors, not to mention homosexual and insular ones. There are simply other ways to commune with one's neighbors than through religion, which you have fortunately found in MO. :-)

• hey BYU guy
    June 1, 2008 7:51 a.m.

That comment cracked me up. It takes a bored cougar to fully appreciate it.
    Anonymous 8:24 p.m. Who said anything about being superior? Your focus has created your reality. It's not the reality others got from the article

• OK mormon
    June 1, 2008 7:49 a.m.

I recall that Pres. Benson said that once the element of competition is gone so is pride. So perhaps, like just about everyone else honest enough to admit it, we are prideful at times. I guess if we weren't willing to admit that, we would be acting holier-than-thou. If we didn't struggle with weaknesses-which the BofM tells us-are given to us from God, we wouldn't need the savior.

Any exposure is good exposure. It encourages people to take a closer look. Good for those who represent well and those who don't have their reward coming. The difference is that we should be good representatives because we are changed in Christ not to put on a show for others. Again, holier-than-thous put on a show of being good when in reality they are the deplorable hippocrates that Christ repeatedly denounced.

I think that good people have the blessings of the Lord with them regardless of how competitive they are. Perhaps their success in these reality shows is a blessing of hard work, honesty, and living right. Those who don't live the standards still have success because theirs is judged by the world. Who wants the worlds praise anyway?

• Nicklaus
    June 1, 2008 7:10 a.m.

GLADO: He probably took the second or two IN ORDER to respond to a question that was asked him. He is an official representative of the Church and is EXACTLY the person I want answering these questions.

• re:anon 8:24 / Kay
    June 1, 2008 6:42 a.m.

Come on, kids, relax.

I'm non-LDS, moved here two years ago, and see many of the same things you see, but give the LDS a break. I have found them friendly, more helpful and neighborly than from wher I moved.

The kids are very sweet to my two children, and my kids are not being offered drugs, alcohol, and are not being pulled into gangs.

• Belgie
    June 1, 2008 6:17 a.m.

I can't believe how many people jump onto any article about Mormons and immediately start posting hateful comments. I'm even more amazed when they say they live in Utah. Is that the attitude they present to all their neighbors and coworkers? What a way to live. Their lives must be miserable.

Or, maybe it's just that the anonymity of the internet allows them to show their true colors, while in public they pretend to be tolerant and accepting.

• Mom in MO
    June 1, 2008 6:13 a.m.

Whenever I read the comments, I am glad I moved away from Utah. The hatred coming from the non-members is always the first thing that I see, read, feel. It's like a war-zone. The people here in MO are much friendlier. Why is there so much negative swarming between people out West? The very first comment from Kay says it all. I read both SLC papers online, and it's always the same.

• Glado
    June 1, 2008 5:42 a.m.

Humanity has always enjoyed competing.
    I enjoy many of these shows.
    I have no idea whatsoever what religion has do do with any of this and wonder why a member of the 12 takes one second of his day pondering such a thing.

• GK from England
    June 1, 2008 2:21 a.m.

When positive Mormon news is highlighted in the media, there are always the cranky Anti-Mormons who can't resist a verbal attack. May I suggest the Anti-Mormons go and make an appointment to see a doctor about their negative and pathetic state of mind.

• That was AWESOME!
    June 1, 2008 2:06 a.m.

I laughed really hard at the comment about how missionaries are dropped off somewhere and are forced to live in the situation and place they are in. It's very true.

June 1, 2008 1:24 a.m.

My Theory on all of this:

• Mark Allen
    May 31, 2008 9:32 p.m.

Well , I am LDS but I wasn't ordained with a cookie cutter . We are all different ,striving to be better , if we were perfect ,we wouldn't be hear only Jesus Christ was perfect .Just as the BTK killer didn't represent the baptist church no unworthy member represents ours.

• To Kay, Hazel
    May 31, 2008 9:07 p.m.

It is funny that you say that we are not peculiar people...I had to reply because all the time people told me that I was different...with out knowing I was Mormon...I think all depends how people takes things...I love the Parable of the Seeds..and the Talents...I will say all of them...and the teachings of Our Savior.. Have you read them?
    We celebrate the success of all Our Family members...and pray for peace and understanding for all that suffer...we celebrate the success of everybody who give us a good example,makes our life happier and the world a better place to live, no matter who they are or what they believe, and join all of those who suffer with prayers,service,support...etc..if we follow Our Savior...wordly should not be in our vocabulary,or griddy...what it matters is what Heavenly Father thinks about us not so much anybody else.Words hurt if we let them,I am so glad the adversary doesn't have control either...just if we let him.I don't know how old are you,Sorry you lived around just self centered Mormons..for me all my life I had live around the best friends you can ask for...I will love to meet you,and change your mind about us..

May 31, 2008 8:36 p.m.

• Ya know...
    May 31, 2008 8:26 p.m.

I feel a bit like the one writer -- it can be embarassing when celebrities who are known "Mormons" don't act the part.
    I also think that, competition aside, some Mormons want to use their talents to share the peace and hope and love they have felt from the Gospel. That's all.

• Anonymous
    May 31, 2008 8:24 p.m.

What a claim to fame! Mormons are somehow superior to other people because they perform better on realty TV!

Wow! The LDS Church MUST be the one and only true and living Church! Afterall, they placed higher on Dancing with the Stars and American Idol! That PROVES the Mormon church is TRUE!

Give me a freakin' break! What an embarrassment you people are to yourselves. Get out of your bubbles and wake up!

• MoJules
    May 31, 2008 7:17 p.m.

A couple of times on my mission I came across one religion who really was terrible to me, so I guess since I had two different encounters, forget the nice one I worked with before my mission, those two mean that all from that religion are just terrible.

There is nothing wrong with competing, we do that in the work force, it is a healthy way to move forward, anyone notice that just like most of the contestants, those Mormon kids that didn't win, took it with class. That is part of what needs to be taught in competition, to gracefully lose.

On American Idol, it was and has never been mentioned that David and Brooke were LDS, others have been more obvious, and it seems like they are the ones that have made some choices that do not go in harmony with the LDS church. For those who are going to say, only the Mormon's make a big to do about someone from their religion, AI made comments a few times that Elliot Yamin was Jewish.

• Utah Mormon
    May 31, 2008 6:48 p.m.

What I don't like as a Mormon is when shows and media (whether TV or written) make a big deal about the contestants who are Mormon or were raised mormon and then those contestants act in ways that are NOT becoming to the LDS lifestyle. Like two of the dancers on Dancing with the Stars, one smokes and "used to" drink alcohol, the other has a self-proclaimed "problem with modesty" and when I saw their mother at the CMA she was in a strapless gown that obviously didn't follow Mormom modesty outlines. There are a few others out there who proclaim to be Mormon but then their actions are not inline with church standards. That is embarrassing to me especially when I have to explain it to my non-MOrmon co-workers who ask me about it!!

• Granny
    May 31, 2008 6:06 p.m.

Nice to know Mormons can be successful in reality shows. However, watching them can be depressing sometimes when participants are more worldly than I care to watch. So now I don't even watch Family Guy. You may say it isn't all that bad which means it isn't all that good. Give me I love Lucy, Andy of Mayberry and Perry Mason any day.

• Ronald A. Young
    May 31, 2008 4:17 p.m.

I think if you look to be offended by any group of people then you will be offended. Just in the Cards (face cards deleted of course). If that is your excuse not to join in that, that will be what it will be. We are having fun sorry you are missing out. If you are Bitter then eat some sugar, stir it in and you will be sweeter. For every Mormon that offends you, and most do not even know that they do. If they did they would care and say sorry. About a month ago we had to do some correction on the Mark of Cain thing. We could have been offended, and we where. We just gently dealt with it and moved on. Was our friend still is our friend. But I am so glad we didnt have any Black Investigators that week. The only one that is hurt buy you being offended is you. Its like your losing/gaining weight, the most interested person is you. Your Hole in One you, Your Promotion You, You getting your TR you etc. etc. For most of the rest of us its about Him.

• awesomeron
    May 31, 2008 4:03 p.m.

I am a convert, please, please do not Judge The Church by Me. I am a work in progress, sometimes slow progress. I do not watch much TV. Reality TV is low on my list. Right Now Family Guy is more real then anything else on TV. Except COPS. I am proud of our members who have had success. From the unreality of Beauty Pageants (Mrs. America). To singing, dancing and survivor which I only watched the 1st season. I would not Judge the Church by Marie Osmond either. Donny okay I have thought of late that, he should be among the 12. Thats an example and a Fine Missionary in his own right. You have to also Count. Mitt, Gordon Smith (R) Oregon, Orin Hatch (R) Utah both as a public servant and a Song Writer. Gladys Night and many many others. Mormons are Vastly mostly Winners and M. Russell Ballard who I love and respect is right. Mormons love to Compete. Nothing wrong with that. WE are among the Very Best and Very Brightest. Well Raised, Strong Work Ethic, Respect for others, and Love The Lord. Yup that be us. Come Join Us, and I did.

• Bad Apples
    May 31, 2008 3:14 p.m.

There are a few bad apples in every barrel. To stereotype anyone from any religion based on what one person in that religion did to you personally is short sighted.

If you live in Utah with a high percentage of Mormons, chances are you will have more run-ins with Mormons than maybe people of Muslim faith or Southern Baptists. Learn to separate the church from the individual person. There are scumbags of all denominations if you ask me.

• Wow...
    May 31, 2008 2:33 p.m.

we are greedy by wanting to compete in the world and to have secular knowledge of all things around us? How about them people who are from other churches sitting in a classroom when I was in graduate school? A lot of them were Catholics and in all good fun, we teased each other, but also respected each other's beliefs etc, with no "holier than thou" mentality. Why the bitterness? Sorry if you had a bad experience with Mormons but don't judge the whole church because of the foolishness of the few...

• Anonymous
    May 31, 2008 1:09 p.m.

Oh Kay, you're just bitter of our talent and success! Watch out, it's showing!

• Kay
    May 31, 2008 7:51 a.m.

What it shows is that Mormons are NOT a "peculiar people", they are just as greedy, wordly, ambitious, and cutthroat as anyone else! That is what is shows.

Who knew?

Oh, I did! I have lived among such self-centered Mormons my entire life!