Utah

Ex-FLDS bride's book released

Comments

• christine
    Nov. 11, 2009 7:13 p.m.

I bought the book and read it I am happy for her with everything she was made to do at 14 years old was wrong and this book was what happen to her and her family. Who care if she make money off it. You have to read the book to understand what happen to her I cry I laugh and I was glad she took a stand.
    I hope this well help a young girl to stand up for herself. I am glad Warren Jeff got what was coming to him he is not a man of God he nothing.

• wipper
    Sept. 11, 2009 11:47 a.m.

I think Elissa Wall did the right thing. Escaping Warren jeffs was not an easy thing to do for most of them especially when he had them tracked down and brought back. What is that man thinking? A lot of the FLDS peolple could've run but that man had them so brainwashed they didn't want to.

• Heidi
    April 18, 2009 7:09 p.m.

Just finished the book and I've got to say...the most contradictory things I've learned recently about the FLDS is the differences there seems to be between the sects in Canada vs the U.S. I live close to Bountiful and get the feeling that there is a lot of hypocritical behavior between the two.
    It sounds like aspects of this way of life were ideal in theory but too much of a good thing breeds people like Warren Jeffs who has obviously ruined what appeared to be a chosen way of life for a lot of people. Hippie communes were a great concept too but it only took a few to ruin it for the rest. I have the upmost respect for Elisa for escaping and having the guts to bring charges for what was done to her. Ultimately, laws were broken and children were hurt. FLDS or not...Jeffs is a disturbed, power hungry pedophile who is right where he belongs.

• Kim
    Oct. 28, 2008 4:31 p.m.

I am so happy that Elisa was able to escape. It was an excellent book and I must say I am proud of her for having the courage to escape the hell she was raised in.

• god is the judge
    July 14, 2008 4:24 p.m.

This is silly to see people get so excited about a book. I have read Ms.Wall's book and find it kind of disturbing.It seems like in the book that she was happy before she left her biological dad and after she met her new hubby. What about all of the years between those episodes?There had to be some happy times, even with her ex hubby.As for Mr. Jeffs, i don't know anything about phrofets or what they do. Everyone here is wondering whom to blame. Who is to blame for this girls life being ruined in her teen years? I think i have read that at least 5 people are to blame.How can folks live by the countries laws when they are taught to live by religion laws. There has to be a line some where in between the both. I believe that god will be the judge. We all usually prey to the same god, just in different ways.Good stories are not always right or wrong. But, FLDS followers are people too. We all breathe the same air and need to eat in order to live. So know what?

• cyndiloowho
    July 11, 2008 9:11 a.m.

I don't beleive that any 14 year old is mature enough to be married period.. Bottom line it is still rape if you say no. No means no. Flds or not it's wrong.

• Lauren
    July 10, 2008 5:30 p.m.

I commend her for her strong sense of self and the ability to share such her tragic childhood with the world. If the person who's title was "Stolen Innocence" read her book they would see that part of the money from the book sells will go to a fund to help future FLDS women and children who want to leave. I think it was a very brave thing for her to do to protect her new family. Way to Go!!!

• peaceshakey1971
    July 10, 2008 7:03 a.m.

Elisa Wall...YOU ARE BRAVE. The abuse you endured and how you held yourself together and got through with your life as a young girl... and got to where you are now... is beyond words. There is no amount of applaud that would be enough to give you for your tremendous flight of COURAGE.
    GOD is loving and not complicated. HE IS NOT HURTFUL. It was never mentioned to beat children because it shows love/discipline. GOD never mentioned marry your relatives and produce children. THE TRUTH HAS BEEN SPOKEN & written. One radical like Jeffs or whoever is out there now, CAN'T take the truth, twist it and mold it to their liking. Husbands are not to dominate their wives. Together husband & wife should live in harmony. This is a radical & tainted way of thinking. It's a shame this is still happening. Even when many people smartly come forward, there are so many that leave themselves behind to continue in the vicious cycle. The worldly people aren't evil. WHY IS THIS VICIOUS SECT HIDING? BECAUSE THE EVIL IS IN YOU. IT'S UNACCEPTABLE. GOD WOULD FROWN. GOD LOVES YOU. REPENT.

• Anonymous
    July 6, 2008 6:27 p.m.

all of those negatives comments you people left are extremely stupid and ignorant i just finished reading this book and the poor girl suffered more than any of you could imagine! I am glad she spoke out! Hope that all of the current members of the FLDS open there eyes and see how brain washed they truly are!

• Anonymous
    June 10, 2008 8:30 a.m.

Elissa isn't out to hurt anyone. She never claimed that her marriage was representative of all FLDS relationships--on the contrary, she makes it clear that her birth mother was from a happy polygamous home. But stories like hers do form, and she is trying to help prevent other young girls from being sexually abused.

I would also like to address the question as to why Jeffs has been convicted while Steed's trial is still pending. Jeffs was already under scrutiny by state law enforcement. He controlled the lives of n entire society. Steed's has little to no power--who should be the first priority, the colonel?

I am not anti-religion, I'm not trying to attack any church, and I'm not necessarily opposed to polygamy itself. The only issue here should be the well-being of innocent children, and Elissa Wall has done a tremendous thing by sharing her story and seeking justice.

• EX-LDS Woman
    May 31, 2008 1:47 a.m.

I am reading elisa's book and a lot of it I feel for her and have experience a horrifing life growing up in the LDS myself. what's sad is these women who in the FLDS subject themselves to these elders of thier church. warren jeffs has destroyed many and what their purpose in life could have been and is fully responcable for that. these women are missing out on opportunties they may never know exsist because of this lifestyle and their value and self worth as women. this life style has destroyed trust in anyone or anything outside their own world to not even trust doctors to help them with illness. it was very fortunate that elissa didn't get TB or any other serious disease that could have resulted in death.
    what I do find strange is that the parents that had their children taken away from them in texas had no problem trusting the non FLDS lawyers to help them get their children back.
    i find that in my own experiance with mormonism and any of it's branches of other LDS beleifs that is is a path of distruction and no direction.

• Anonymous
    May 23, 2008 4:48 a.m.

Are you kidding me. To say "The result of Mrs. Wall's book pre-release publicity Hoax in Texas resulted in the "Stolen Innocence" of over 400 children" is ludicrous. The person that stole their innocence is the one who gave birth to them. What can be said of a mother who willingly gives her child to a pedophile? Shame on all of you I applaud her courage.

• Christiana
    May 19, 2008 11:07 a.m.

What a courageous woman! To have grown up in that world, knowing nothing else, and to still have the self-esteem and bravery to help herself out of an horrific situation.

• blackhat
    May 18, 2008 1:37 p.m.

a minister of a church take avange of a kid,
    is all the kids in that church taking to foster care because they in in danger, the minister is teaching all the kids it ok to be taking avange of, wake up and smell the rose,

• black hat
    May 18, 2008 1:25 p.m.

who are you going to call,?????
    one of you girl at your school get rape
    are you going to take all the kids in the school
    and put them in foster home because thy are in danger
    of been rape.

• Lynice
    May 18, 2008 9:51 a.m.

BIG DEAL!!! SO IT'S A CULT!! Adults have the right to join a cult if they want to. Someone said in another post "don't Americans have the right to follow an idiot if they want to"? If there are underage marriages, abandoning of boys, fraud, whatever arrest them and send to jail or whatever. But if they want to wear stupid dresses, long sleeves in the summer, pile their hair up 5 feet, etc. etc. etc. Live behind walls and fences LET THEM! You have the freedom to live like a idiot if you want to IF you are not breaking any other laws. You don't like what they are teaching their kids GET OVER IT until you decide to remove kids from KKK members, Skinheads, Nation of Islam, Pagans, and any other groups you don't agree with.

• What you miss
    May 16, 2008 7:37 p.m.

The part that you seem to miss is that BOTH males and females within the group are all "brainwashed" in the same belief system. Mothers are "brainwashing" their daughters and sons as they read their morning scripture, teacher the daily lessons, then nightly scripture. Both parents, even if in loving kindness, act as representatives to their faith. The reason I brought women as blame, is because all seemed to miss the reality instead lumping all women as victims and all men as criminal. Mothers as primary caretakers have great power even if you do not respect that.

• wow to hey flds dictatorship
    May 16, 2008 7:29 p.m.

If women did not raise the men that have grown to leadership within the FLDS community, as you suggest, who exactly do you think raised them?

• To Hey FLDS dictatorship
    May 16, 2008 6:55 p.m.

The women are not "raising these future men and the men that are now in leadership" These men aka boys are being kicked out by the dozens. The few who do manage to stay are not likely to be in the leadership positions. I think that it is "terribly amusing" how you've twisted the original post around. I have yet to figure out what your point is.

• re-hey FLDS dictatorship
    May 16, 2008 5:36 p.m.

Reject what you wish. Fact is these women and children have no hope for a future if confined to that compound. We all know it - perhaps if you were to REALLY think about it you would realize it too.

And it's also not opinion that your God would not want his people to be led to servitude by the FLDS men. Thinking so would mean that your God is unjust. Is He? I hope not.

(By the way - trying to turn this around and lay the blame on the women is certainly a new move by you all. Not sure where you're going with that but very ingenious nonetheless.)

• Hey FLDS dictatorship
    May 16, 2008 12:22 p.m.

It is your opinion and clearly not based on fact. If you claim that the FLDS are cult members, so too are the men within the cult as are the women and children. I find it terribly amusing that you find the women and children "victims" when it is the women raising these future men and the men that are now in leadership. It would seem clear that the men are victims of the women that raised them.
    I also note that since you "know that God will have no pity on me", I feel confident that you too belong to a cult and your judgment is the reason I reject the notion in total.

• FLDS dictatorship
    May 16, 2008 10:36 a.m.

Anyone that thinks the FLDS are raising children well are either FLDS or really messed up (or both). Each person in the USA has a right to a life of freedom. These FLDS men breed children in an environment created to stifle freedom and provide no options in life. And they TRULY BELIEVE they are right to do so. That's what makes them so dangerous.
    It is not my opinion. It is fact. These women and children have no freedom and no options. If you think that's ok, I have no pity for you, and neither will God.

• Sharon
    May 16, 2008 7:52 a.m.

REPLY TO ANONYMOUS 1:42pm May 15,

First of all Elisa Wall chose to be with Lamont Barlow...he was not forced on her by Jeffs. Big difference ! Also Elisa was not 14 when she married Lamont.

To the poster who said Elisa Wall committed adultery. How do you figure? She was not legally married to Allen Steed. She was given to Steed in one of Jeffs bogus ceremonies.

• To: hey to:Hey Lambert
    May 15, 2008 4:40 p.m.

you say: "Why did Elissa not fear eternal damnation as she committed adultery to the point of pregnancy with the baby of a man not her own husband?"
    ------------
    Listen Mrs. unconditional commitment to the FLDS. I post occassionally here because it's interesting. You, on the other hand, seem to say whatever it takes to make you feel a certain way (victim, etc) and will ALWAYS (as I see it) spin, twist and mold the facts to suit your already existing commitment. I will simply await the outcome of the judicial process together with curiously observing the FLDS's crusade to create another Short Creek.

As a last attempt at conversing with you. The exception proves the rule. There are ALWAYS those that for whatever reason avoid falling sway to the cult leader. Apparently Elissa was one of them.

• hey to:Hey Lambert
    May 15, 2008 4:04 p.m.

Here is another attempt to post. While I am not an attorney, my husband is and I have been very interested in the facts over national enquirer information. I bothered to look up the court cases and read the transcripts. Who was the prophet when Warren "married" the individuals? Oh! Warren wasn't the head of the FLDS? Was Warren not also following his prophet or be eternally damned? Why did Elissa not fear eternal damnation as she committed adultery to the point of pregnancy with the baby of a man not her own husband? I search out information not consistent with the presented facts. The fact remains, this is an alleged rape since no rapist has been convicted. Steeds is innocent until proven guilty.
    Why was Barlow not charged with statutory rape since Elissa remained underage at the time of their "affair?" How closely related is she to Barlow and shouldn't they get DNA testing to prove relatedness? I think we should pull her children until we have these facts. Not seriously but I hope you get the point.

• Anonymous
    May 15, 2008 1:42 p.m.

Elissa Wall Is it in her book that Lamont Barlow was 23 when he got involved with 16 year old Elissa?

Isn't this legally at least statutory r*pe? Why isn't Lamont also in jail?
    him

• What about Uncle Roulon?
    May 15, 2008 1:40 p.m.

23 year old men having sex with 16 year old girls,--

- Is it in her book that Lamont Barlow was 23 when he got involved with 16 year old Elissa?

Isn't this legally at least statutory rape? Why isn't Lamont also in jail?
    him

• To: Hey Lambert
    May 15, 2008 9:52 a.m.

you say: "Why is it that Jeffs completed a trial to conviction of accessory to rape yet until that conviction no charges were brought up against the alleged rapist? You don't find that even a little odd or even backwards?"
    -------------------------
    While I'm not an attorney; if you are genuinely interested in an answer based on case law (which I highly doubt) you may begin your search with the circumstances under which the rape occurred. i.e. arranged by Uncle Warren under various threats including eternal damnation. Even though the actual rapist is not totally w/out guilt the extraordinary circumstances are a key point in your careful (yeah right) examination of related case law ...

• Sharon
    May 15, 2008 8:40 a.m.

Christina..4:40 May 15th

These FLDS members I dont think hate the world, but are scared of the outside world from what they had pounded into their heads from birth on up from so called self appointed prophets. I bet those little kids when rescued by Texas were terrified when they came in contact with a black person. Even though we are all God's children..red...yellow..black..and white..Warren Jeffs instilled in children..the evils of the black race. Watch Damned To Heaven-Black Race on youtube. I am so glad Jeffs is behind bars now thanks to the brave young lady Elisa Wall...hopefully in time...the rest of the perverts will be right there with him !

• Hey Lambert
    May 15, 2008 8:05 a.m.

Did you know that many states allow first cousins to legally marry? Did you know if those legally married cousins cross into a state which does not allow for legal cousin marriages, they are committing a crime?

While you understandably point fingers at Jeffs the issues remain multi-factorial and you need to pay closer attention. Why is it that Jeffs completed a trial to conviction of accessory to rape yet until that conviction no charges were brought up against the alleged rapist? You don't find that even a little odd or even backwards? She was also underage and pregnant with another man's (Barlow's) child yet no charges of rape were filed against him. Why not?
    Are there ANY states that allow for a 14 year old to marry? Is the state complicit in child rape because of those laws(one state it's a felony another is state sanctioned)? In those states are not girls "raped" even if they consent? To top it off, if ANY "marriages" of 14 year old took place before the law was changed, no crime will have been committed. I think that many here have tunnel vision and don't clearly see the bigger issue.

• Hey Calgary
    May 15, 2008 7:49 a.m.

You might want to get your facts BEFORE you post. While Warren Jeffs was convicted of accessory to rape, the actual alleged rapist (Steeds) trial has yet to begin. OH, I was just as surprised as you to find that little nugget out. If you also look at the court records so far, it seems that the jury is on the fence with this case and will NOT be the slam dunk that Jeffs had. Without a convicted rapist, it remains an alleged rape. Now ask yourself why the alleged rapist was not charged until after Jeffs conviction. I call it backwards.

• Christina
    May 15, 2008 4:40 a.m.

You know what gets me! All you FLDS on here hate the outside world but when you got caught you started your sympathy tour. I hope those kids dont go back and I hope some fanatics end your sex slave communities and ranches.

• WOW!!!
    May 14, 2008 10:58 p.m.

I don't miss my soap opera anymore! I have thought for weeks that the FLDS men, who get to use the computers have been making post about this, but the one by the FLDS, I got the distinct impression that one of the women was brought to the computer and told to type that. It sounded like the robot zombee women we saw on TV. I had clients that were from the Hildale group, the one father had three disabled children between his two wives. I got to see a different side through a sister of one wife who was not in the group, I said, it must be hard when the wives clash, cause there was some tension with the two wives, the sisters comments were that she wished that the husband would get some, can't use the word here. But she wanted him to not be such a wimp. There is a pecking order in this society, the high ups and they treat the lower class men like dirt and of course the women are zombees. If Warren would have not gotten so stupid, then this group would not be overturned like it is. Sad for them.

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 9:50 p.m.

The entire foundation of male authority over women which includes polygamous control and ownership of women stems from the Mormon's (LDS) lustful early leaders. The Mormon's still practice Celetial Polygamy (marriage sealing in the temples) where men can marry more than wife if their wife dies or by divorce. Polygamy is ALL about suppression and control of women for lustful, "justified by God" purposes. Doesn't any LDS or RLDS understand that GOD declared polygamy to be an "abomination"? (2 Jacob 23-24) and that all "scriptures" added LATER to justify polygamy was by lustful, masonic, uninspired men?

• CA girl
    May 14, 2008 9:01 p.m.

May I remind those of you that might not know the diference..the LDS chruch ...and the FLDS church are NOT the same thing!!! Out of simple respect let's not confuse them.

It's time we are all informed about what has been going on with our tax dollars. Thanks to the gals who are telling their stories!

• John Lambert
    May 14, 2008 6:51 p.m.

There are lots of people who hate polygamy with every bone in their body. There are other people who only bring up the issue to smear the LDS Church. There are others who want to end the FLDS church, and others who want to see the laws of the land enforced.
    In Utah it is not legal to marry someone under age 16 without court permission. It may not be a patently criminal act, however sex with a 14 year old is illegal no matter how much he or she wants to engage in it. Since Jeffs knew that the marriage would involve sex, there is no logical way to argue he was other than a participant in rape. Secondly, I doubt most counselors would reccomend to a 14-year-old that she stay in a "marriage".
    That said, I am not sure if any state has laws that criminalize marrying your cousin and having sexual relations with him or her. I have read that Texas has criminalized marrying someone under the age of 16 but that is different.

• John Lambert
    May 14, 2008 6:38 p.m.

Whatever happens in Texas, Jeffs is going to be in prison for a long time to come. Even if the supreme court rules that anti-polygamy laws are unconstitutional, which is not likely in the near future or with the current court, Jeffs convictions stand on other laws that will stand longer than those.
    So people should stop believing Jeffs will be freed anytime in the near future.

• Re: Sharon critic
    May 14, 2008 6:12 p.m.

"I suspect her book is just as selective, agenda driven and one sided."

I suspect the same, but that doesn't mean it isn't all true She's exposing the truly ugly side of the FLDS belief system and the FLDS know that it is ugly, so they're trying to do everything their PR machine can muster to try to smear and discredit her.

I truly hope her book will inspire other women to escape from this evil, controlling, godless system.

• Calgary
    May 14, 2008 5:34 p.m.

Alleged rape?

Alleged is the phrase used in that murky time between a complaint has been made and before a court of law has made heard a case with or without a jury and found the accused either guilty or not guilty.

He was found guilty; the charges were proven; therefore SHE WAS RAPED!

• To- Amen
    May 14, 2008 5:22 p.m.

Amen, Amen and Amen. Thank you for your post. I agree with you completely.

• realitycheck
    May 14, 2008 5:20 p.m.

I don't care that you FLDS posters have multiple wives, as long as they want to be married to you. But I DO care that you abuse children. And the fact is, you all abuse children, AND DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!! When you tell a child that everyone else and everything else outside the walls of your compound is evil, every day for their whole lives, they will believe it, because they trust you. THAT'S CHILD ABUSE.
    I don't necessarily like the way CPS has handled it. I'd have been satisfied if the military Seabees had gone and knocked down your walls and guardtower (which we know was to keep them in, not to keep us out.) I would be satisfied if the children were let out for a few hours every afternoon to see that there is more to life than your way.
    The fact is, you are stealing the future from these kids, and giving them no options in their lives. They are destined to be enslaved (albeit happily) behind your guardtower as you drain any possibility of hope from their future. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, yet you find it acceptable. Go figure...

• former FLDS
    May 14, 2008 5:15 p.m.

I fell sorry for the people in colorado city & hildale because werren has said that the children in texes will redeame zion what about there children are they just worthless wake up

• Amen
    May 14, 2008 5:10 p.m.

After reading many comments, and listening to many LDS people share their "testimonies" over almost a decade, I am convinced of at least one thing: Perhaps testimonies are GOOD THINGS TO LOSE! Everything I have seen convinces me that those with "testimonies" will believe anything told them by the hierarchy, and they will suspend (what little)rationality (they have) to release their minds and souls into boundless, obedient rapture! It is really INSANE! And that is exactly what we are seeing in Texas with the FLDS - women and children having been subjected not only to sexual and physical abuse, but first and foremost having been subjected to SPIRITUAL abuse and RELIGIOUS FRAUD for years! Say all you want about freedom and liberty, but when a person is LIED to, they are NOT FREE! Millions of people are being LIED TO by religious leaders who continue to embellish ancient myths and fables in order to make a buck off of people's gullibility and desire to believe life has meaning. Religion is not only the opiate of the masses, it is the PARASITE that sucks the blood of the masses!

• Re "Sharon | 11:52 a.m"
    May 14, 2008 5:09 p.m.

Sharon | 11:52 a.m. said...

My comment is:
    Did you ever stop to think Elisa used fake names so no-one can verify her stories? If she is really Mrs brave and bold... why does she need to protect or hide the identities of those she claimed did such bad things? To me, it would be brave and bold to point them out.

To me it's a selective attack if she attacks Jeffs directly but feels she needs to use fake names to protect her friends and family (who also contributed directly to the abuse by all accounts). Much like her selective attack when she asked that Jeffs be prosecuted for rape but not her husband. How can she ask the state to prosecute Jeffs for being an "Acomplice to Rape" but leave her husband (the rapist) out of it?

I suspect her book is just as selective, agenda driven and one sided.

• To Dennis @ 1:33
    May 14, 2008 4:48 p.m.

Ok, so now you're psychic, or is it psychotic? Sorry, I never can remember which is which. Anyway, in my humble opinion, I think that the odds of Texas paying a huge settlement are about the same that all of you FLDSers will be "lifted up" via the launch pad in Colorado City. Your so called prophets have not been able to accurately predict the launching so why do you think that you can predict the outcome of this. If I had my way, all of you would be shipped right back to Utah, Arizona or wherever you came from ASAP. Nobody asked you to move to Texas.

• To: Dennis
    May 14, 2008 4:44 p.m.

You say: "I now leave you alone with your hate."

Speaking of hate, please review your beloved leader's audio clip on African Americans, then get back to me.

• dcc
    May 14, 2008 4:35 p.m.

As I listen to the interview with Ms. Walls on Oprah I am sickened and enraged. The RAPE of children (14 year olds are children) is permitted, tolerated, and even encouraged by some in this state. May karma catch up with all of you.

• typing slowly
    May 14, 2008 4:20 p.m.

I am going to type slowly so that some of you can follow along. Why was Warren Jeffs charged and then had a trial as accomplice to rape BEFORE Steeds was even charged with rape? My attorney husband had a long head scratching over that one. He suspects that Steeds trial will not go well and that Warren's case will be appealed as a result but having him first gives him some time in jail. Also, Warren is "convictable" in that he is unattractive and sends out weird vibes. As for the victim, I find it odd that she states that the women have no time alone and are always watched yet she had an affair and got pregnant by a Barlow...probably also her cousin.

So, the FLDS lie, CPS lies, and ex-FLDS also lie. With that in mind, treat the FLDS like other Americans as the individuals they are not as a group...like the law was intended.

Yeah, yeah, I will probably be accused of being FLDS but actually I am more interested in our rights not being eroded on this slippery scale of in(justice.)

• Hey Sharon
    May 14, 2008 4:10 p.m.

Elissa doesn't protect family when she doesn't give names, she protects victimizers....unless of course they are made up.

As far as me liking consistencies and how I should supposedly get accustomed to it. The problem with the lack of consistencies from one Ex-to another leads me to believe one of two things.
    1 They are liars
    2. FLS do not act as a united front but as individuals

What I also find amusing is the fact that many find CPS to be guilty of criminal actions are perceived as "FLDS" plants. Sorry I vehemently disagree with the entire debacle, am female, master's degreed, and find all religions idiotic.
    I think that the flds should completely renounce their religion starting with Jesus...man/god. They all of you in turn can do the same. Then we wouldn't have this garbage. Religion the opiate of the masses.

• I'm with her!
    May 14, 2008 4:08 p.m.

To "FOR FLDS EYES ONLY": Great post! Fantastic!

To "2 sides to every story": Often the truth is NOT in the middle but lies squarely on one side. Think of cases of alcoholism, rape, pathelogical lying, NPD, BPD, etc. The other spouse has NOTHING to work with in these cases. Yes, it takes two to make a marriage work, but one is plenty to destroy it!

I applaud this girl for writing the book and getting as much money as possible. It will only increase her leverage and speed in being able to help others, and that's just smart. Her life would be much easier without the money, just disappearing into the shadows with her little family, but she is doing what is right! I love seeing her burden lifted somewhat monetarily as she goes through it. I'm sure her involvement is extremely time-consuming and energy-draining.

Also, my brother is reading an X-FLDS book (Escaped?)and is shocked to find that it's exactly what happened to our sister with her NPD, abusive ex-husband (not FLDS). It will help women and children everywhere who are psychologically trapped discover the true nature of their situation and to get courage to get out.

• Jenny
    May 14, 2008 4:06 p.m.

To "ALL FLDS" supporter on here who seem to be MEN. Yeah, Pleasure, pleasure, pleasure...that is all polygamy can do for a man. Give him indulging pleasures forever and throughout all eternity. And for woman, Jealousy, anger which is normal, lack of self confidence, bulging bellies, and stinky poopy diapers for all eternity. GEE! what more could a woman ask for? After all we were born without feelings..DUH! Women as well as men were born with high intelligences. Some even being MUCH smarter than the typical polygamist deviate, self made sex God, that these women claim to be married too... TOTALLY DISGUSTING! The FLDS polygamist live in a made up dream world. Reality is that women would only want "ONE" husband, and none to whom would be giving his wife a sexual transmitted disease. You sicko men need to get a real life, instead of day dreaming about a eternal brothel in heaven. Stupid is as stupid does.

I wonder what would have happened if Adam had of eaten the apple before Eve had done so Hummmm??? I'm even questioning the logic in that story as well.

• comment 3:16
    May 14, 2008 3:58 p.m.

I'm Mormon, but don't full yourself regarding how plural or any marriage was in the late 1800's. How many wives left their husbands when they wanted to in the 19th century, plural or not? I accept the church as true, but I also know the church's past was sometimes ugly. If you don't know that, you have not done your research. If you're idealistic about the church's past, real facts are going to be thrown that you that you won't hear in church that will cause you to seriously question your testimony, so base your testimony on the right foundation or you will lose it.

• Former FLDS Roommate
    May 14, 2008 3:43 p.m.

My former roommate left with her mother when she left the FLDS faith. She spent most of her time in college looking over her shoulder because her father told her to either come join him of her own free will with the husband they had chosen for her or she would be taken by force. BYU security was alerted and had to remove him several times when he came with others to "Help" her return to the fold.

This is a cult of violence, intimidation, and child sexual abuse. Nothing the FLDS claim will make it otherwise to those of us who have dealt with them in the real world.

• To curious
    May 14, 2008 3:43 p.m.

I do believe similar things may have happened in the early Mormon church. However, as we become more educated an enlightened we now realize that about every church in the past did things that were perceived as right, that are now considered horrific. ie the future head of the Anglican church killing his wives, the Catholic church and the inquisition/crusades, the law of Moses among the jews, the early Muslems forcing all in the middle east to convert or die. All considered nasty stuff now, but back then it was all good in the name of god. The Mormon church has their muddied history if you look at reliable sources ie. assisination carried out by Orin Rockwell and John Lee, for JS and BY. Back then, that's how you got things done if you can keep from getting caught and now some consider things like this as proof that the church isn't true. We can't use 21st century thinking to figure out why JS was marrying teenagers. Don't jump to conclusion about the past or else you have to figure out why guy died trying to save the arch of the covenant.

• 2 cents
    May 14, 2008 3:28 p.m.

Hopefully more women like Elissa & Carolyn will speak up as well as stand up for their children. The sexual abuse was bad enough, what about the children who have physical evidence of past broken bones, poor healing, etc? There are going to be twisted attachment issues with these children which will continue into the next generation...esp if these children are not allowed to heal emotionally before they become adults. How many two year olds really like "polishing doorknobs". Maybe for two seconds, then it would be on to something else more fun (play is how kids learn). Play is not a bad word. Breaking bones, etc is okay for the sake of 'teaching' a child to work? Mercy!

• former FLds
    May 14, 2008 3:18 p.m.

I was in that church and those people are so afraid they don't want you to talk to there chilren and tell them there is a differnt life they want them to be in the dark wake up

• Re: Curious
    May 14, 2008 3:16 p.m.

And you would be mistaken.

Only a small percentage of Mormons actually practiced polygamy, there were no forced marriages, anyone who wanted to could leave a polygamist relationship at any time, there was no state welfare system so people supported themselves rather relying on others to support them, and people were free to come and go from their communities without restriction. In short, there was no coercion involved in the Mormon practice of polygamy.

The way the FLDS practice polygamy today and the way the Mormons practiced polygamy a century ago, couldn't be more different.

• to all FLDS
    May 14, 2008 3:03 p.m.

okay...so you have a computer and you've found this site....that's step one.
    now go to youtube.com and put 'warren jeffs' in the search space....and hit 'enter' on the keyboard......then put the little arrow thingy controlled by the mouse over the picture of warren jeffs and click....

you can watch him for yourself confess that he hasn't been the prophet and how he is a wicked man....in his OWN words!!!

please..open your eyes...for the kids sake

• Re: It's about money 7:11am
    May 14, 2008 3:01 p.m.

"It is unfortunate Elisa Wall decided to use fake names for many of the characters in her book. She had no choice for they are all lies."

It's like the pot calling the kettle black for someone who is FLDS to be calling Elissa Wall a liar for telling the truth about the abuse that is occurring in the FLDS community.

The truth is out and the FLDS can either acknowledge that and stop their abusive practices or they can expect to continue paying the legal consequences of their illegal practices.

• CougarKeith
    May 14, 2008 2:53 p.m.

This is HER Experience, I am sure there are a few "Good" experiences which aren't shared with the public, of LOVING HUSBANDS and those who make it a wonderful thing. You can look back on the time of the LDS Plural Marriages and find wonderful stories as well as bad stories. I am NOT PROTECTING THE FLDS people, but we must remember there are two sides to every story. Warren is probably guilty being in a position of Authority, and he could have made a BIG DIFFERENCE, and he didn't, but I am sure there are some FLDS women who would tell wonderful stories about their marriage, wedding, wedding night, and the whole experience. When you are married in a PERVERSE MANNER to a man who obviously didn't follow with the best interests of "THE LORD" or how HE would have the situation IF IT APPLIED, what else can you expect? I pitty the woman, the man and Jeffs for totally not understanding the LORD or His Plan for Family and Happiness.

• Re: Dennis
    May 14, 2008 2:50 p.m.

"If you can't understand that, you are simply lost to reason."

Dennis, defender of the indefensible. Maybe you could enlighten us as to your definition of child sexual abuse with regards to underaged girls.

Children also have rights.

Since you deem yourself to be such a legal "expert," maybe you could play devil's advocate (which in your case is very apropos) and explain why the state has a compelling interest in protecting a child from potential abuse and why protecting a child from abuse trumps a parent's rights to keep the child until the state has determined that the potential for abuse is either unfounded or has been mitigated.

• Sharon
    May 14, 2008 2:48 p.m.

In response to ANONYMOUS 12:50 May 14,

First of all why are you hiding behind ANONYMOUS? Are you to embarrassed to give your name....or that your a member of the FLDS...which I could care less.
    For your information...I do not condemn 10,000 people based on the word of a single person...I do condemn the pervs who have been brought to the attention of the public. Eventually, nasty, dirty little secrets do come out. By means of books, interviews, the internet and oh yes...Warren Jeffs himself. So MR./MS. ANONYMOUS... my view points are not made on the words of a single person, but on the words of hundreds.

• Mel J.
    May 14, 2008 2:44 p.m.

I agree, 1:23 p.m.
    Take me for instance, I don't claim to be smart, but there is absolutely nothing intelligent or logical about being FLDS. The cult is based on coveting more than one wife. Only a fool would think there was ever some kind of revelation from God to play around with women. Nope! It never happened. It was just something some not so dumb guy thought up to control others, and some not so smart women. Perhaps out of desperation if anything.

I hope didn't use any words here over anyones head...tee hee hee!

• wow
    May 14, 2008 2:42 p.m.

I have a two year old daughter and I can hardly wait to marry her off at the age of 13 to a 40 year old man so she can spend the rest of her life popping out kids one after the other. -C'mon people there is a line that has to be drawn. It is not about religion this is about kids being forced to be adults.

• To Dennis
    May 14, 2008 2:39 p.m.

The way of life you covet is unraveling like a sweater. Your leader is in jail, your men are running scared like rabbits, new exposes are published, the ACLU won't back you, the constitution won't protect you. The public is outraged. Good bye, good riddence.

• To: Ex-cult Member 1:45pm
    May 14, 2008 2:32 p.m.

Thank you for that refreshing glimpse into the thoughts of an ex-cult member.

Hopefully this event will give many more FLDS women the courage to throw off the shackles of this evil cult.

• Real man
    May 14, 2008 2:21 p.m.

I'm disgusted by all of the FLDS supporters using the Internet to defend their perversion by attacking women like Elissa and Carolyn. These women are very brave for coming forward. Yes, they'll make money off of their books. Good for them! Soon, they'll have more power than the weak "priestholders" and "prophets" who controlled them for too long. The men of the FLDS are scared because they see their power slipping away.

• Re: Dennis
    May 14, 2008 2:22 p.m.

"What moral issues?"

Raping underaged girls.
    Kicking young boys out of your society.
    Welfare fraud.
    False imprisonment.
    Denial of human rights.
    Reassigning families to new men.

All are legal and moral issues.

Jeffs was lawfully convicted of accomplice rape in Utah and is likely to be convicted of similar charges in Arizona.

Other FLDS men have also been convicted of sexual abuse charges of a similar nature.

Most decent, law-abiding people would consider forcing a young girl into an arranged marriage to be both immoral and illegal.

Unfortunately, the FLDS don't consider it immoral or illegal. Until they either voluntarily change their practice or are forced to change this despicable practice, they will continue to face the consequences of their illegal practices.

To say nothing of polygamy, which I didn't even mention in my previous post.

• Dennis
    May 14, 2008 2:21 p.m.

To: To: Dennis | 1:37 p.m. May 14, 2008
    "I listen to audio clips of your prophet and savior and after your spirited defense and ultimate understanding of morality and the law in terms of his conviction, I've heard enough ... BTW, speaking of brainwashed! "

Who is my prophet and savior?

If you can make this unfounded judgment about me, what does that say about your judgment about the FLDS?

Such a comment proves that you are beyond the reach of reason.

I now leave you alone with your hate.

Bye

• Amazed
    May 14, 2008 2:06 p.m.

It's a CULT. An entire community following the manic rants of one deranged sexual deviant! And TEXAS, They couldn't just stay in southern Utah where the state has been looking the other way for 50 years. Instead they go to a southern baptist bible belt town!!! WTF! Did they really think they were going to go un-noticed?

• Curious
    May 14, 2008 2:02 p.m.

Do you ever wonder if this is how it was from 1830-1890 when many Mormon members practiced Polygamy? I can imagine that many of the horrific details release by former members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may be similar to events that occurred during the Mormon Church's own tragic experiment with polygamy. I see nothing holy or sacred about it polygamy. Its a vehicle for abuse, sorrow and leads to unfortunate, tragic consequences.

• For FLDS eyes only
    May 14, 2008 1:55 p.m.

Since many FLDS are posting here, may I share with the FLDS a suggestion of how to eliminate interference and get the government off your back: Nobody, including a state and the federal government cares if an informed adult consents to being a polygamous wife and if this were a matter of consentuous adult polygamy, nothing would have happened in Texas. Solution: allow children to be educated, allow the girls and the boys to stick around until adulthood, allow the state to screen for abuse (openess) and allow WOMEN to make free decisions regarding getting in to a polygamous marriage, no agency would ever interfere. Whenever there is a threat to the children, real or perceived, you're going to get agency interference.

• Dennis
    May 14, 2008 1:53 p.m.

To Truly Heroic

You don't make decisions about the lives of 450 children based on a book somebody wrote, heroic or not.

We are a country base on laws, not on gossip and hearsay.

If you can't understand that, you are simply lost to reason.

• ephrim steed jessop re:Dennis
    May 14, 2008 1:48 p.m.

Dennis is right!!! who decided it's immoral to force a 13 year old girl to have sex? who decided that child abuse is wrong?? You? you only think this cuz thats what you see on Tee Vee. who dee-cided spell check was a gud eye-dea.
    'keep schweet'

btw...I'm NOT FLDS

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 1:47 p.m.

To: Re: Anonymous (??? you don't get the whole nickname business do you?)

If you have any other ex-FLDS that have corroborated accustions of illegality, feel free to trot them out. Issues of morality have NO LEGAL standing, so please LEAVE THEM out. Nobody is interested in your version of morality, get it?

You know very well that I am not FLDS, because they are too considerate to treat hateful people like you in the manner you deserve. And to suggest that if I were FLDS that I would know of forced marriages is simply more evidence of you bigotry. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT????

And your last sentence makes absolutely no sense. The stories that have been circulating in the mainstream media for years support you're intolerant, bigoted view of the world.

• Ex-cult Member
    May 14, 2008 1:45 p.m.

The deep-seeded hatred found in some of the comments about Elisa is downright frightening. It is equally indicative of the very real threat felt by a culture of men trying to maintain its slipping hold on the "right" to abuse women and children at will. This historic perogative will not be surrendered without a vicious fight, you can be sure of it. These men are at the top of the food chain in that world and the women who support them are just as threatened, albeit in a different way. Those of us who have left [other] cults know all about that, don't we? Go girls, your time is coming.

• To: Dennis
    May 14, 2008 1:37 p.m.

you say: "You only watch your TV, mindlessly following the drivel they feed you, until you are so brainwashed that you add your own droning voice to the terrible, hateful chorus."
    ---------------------------------

• Dennis
    May 14, 2008 1:33 p.m.

T: Confused

The CPS often removes kids from homes based on unfounded accusations.

Whereas in an individual CPS action, a family will only suffer a few days inconvenience before they get their kids back, in a case involving hundreds of kids it could take a year or longer to resolve.

In an individual case, there is very little motive for a CPS worker to deliberately try to harm the parents. But with a case involving an entire group that is generally despised it is much more likely.

In an individual case, the CPS worker would find it difficult to commit blatant violations of rights. But a group action gives the worker a false sense of anonymity that makes such violations much more likely.

Most importantly, a large group of families is NOT the same as a single family. This Texas case is not without precedent. Arizona tried to use this argument and ultimately it failed strict legal scrutiny.

Based on all the above, higher courts will not allow the Texas CPS action to stand. All children will be returned to their families and Texas will pay a huge settlement.

I hope maybe this will reduce your confusion.

• Dear Moderator
    May 14, 2008 1:27 p.m.

Please look inward, take a deep breath and clear your mind. Take another deep breath and ask yourself: "am I being balanced? am I being fair?"

• Re: A FLDS
    May 14, 2008 1:24 p.m.

A FLDS...I applaud you for being open. It's refreshing and you should encourage your fellow FLDSers to do the same.

First, society outside the FLDS is very brainwashed by the media. Society receives over 2,500 media messages a day; each carefully crafted to induce specific reactions. Believe me, I know. I help create the messages. Society has no idea how brainwashed they are. You admit FLDS followers are "not brainwashed anymore than you are with the media." Well, that means there is a lot of brainwashing going on with the FLDS because there is a lot going on with the media.

Second, what are the "circumstances" that brought the marriage together? I am curious to know what "circumstances," whether religious or practical require a 14 year old to be forced to marry someone. Sounds like you don't know either and were just told "circumstances" necessitated the marriage, which you decided to accept/believe without question (aka brainwashing).

• To: Dennis
    May 14, 2008 1:23 p.m.

So you're trying to sound educated now is that it? ... well then you might try considering the overwhelming information crushing your defense of the FLDS. Are you a member? ... surely you're not merely an interested apologist are you?

P.S. There is a difference between being educated and a bombast using big words.

• Dennis
    May 14, 2008 1:09 p.m.

Ambivalent

What moral issues? Who decided its immoral to have more than one wife? You? What if youre doing someting that I think is immoral? Does that give me a right to take your kids away?

Jeffs trial was based on the word of a single girl. She claimed that Jeffs coerced her into marriage and forced her to remain in it after she wanted out. There was no corroboration. Kobe Bryant faced a similar accusation. He said / she said does not make a good legal case. That's why Kobe is free today. Why is Jeffs in jail? The girl was of legal marriageable age. Its not illegal to marry your cousin. And Jeffs wasn't charged with EITHER of those offences.

You obviously don't understand the law or morality well enough to make blanket statements about the FLDS or anyone else. You only watch your TV, mindlessly following the drivel they feed you, until you are so brainwashed that you add your own droning voice to the terrible, hateful chorus.

Your nickname should be Somnambulant.

• Re: Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 1:08 p.m.

"You will condemn 10,000 people based on the word on a single person..."

There are many other former FLDS who have spoken out about the immoral and illegal practices of the FLDS and others besides Warren Jeffs who have already been convicted of sexual abuse.

If you're FLDS, your statement is disengenuous because you already know this, and probably know of other instances of underage arranged (forced) marriages.

If you're not FLDS, you're just ignorant of the facts because you have followed the stories that have been circulating for years.

• Truly Heroic
    May 14, 2008 1:06 p.m.

We are lucky that this heroic girl wrote about her ordeal. Let's hope it inspires more girls to stand up for themselves. Those who condemn her for writing it are the same people (you know who you are, FLDS posters) who condemn books in general or other sources of knowledge depicting life outside of their sheltered world. Carolyn Jessop was forced by Warren Jeffs to get rid of her vast book collection. She was the last of her ilk to go to college. It shows.

• Sharon
    May 14, 2008 12:57 p.m.

reply to Ambivalent 11:50 May 14, post

Great Post !

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 12:50 p.m.

Sharon:

Where is the corroboration? You will condemn 10,000 people based on the word on a single person who has a HUGE motive to make up a good story?

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 12:47 p.m.

Jim G

I agree it's wishful thinking that the people of Texas could look past their hatred to defend their own freedom.

Very intelligent comment.

Thanks

• Joe
    May 14, 2008 12:47 p.m.

So, where are the FLDS fathers and mothers stating "Underage marriage doesn't happen in my family or community" or "I wouldn't allow my underage daughter to get married, regardless of what church leaders told me because it is just wrong?"

It is time for FLDS parents to step forward and say they won't put up with this. Further, it is time for FLDS leaders to change their policies about child marriages and marriages between close relatives.

As for Elissa, congratulations for having the fortitude for being willing to testify about an immoral and illegal practice. I hope your book does well; you should be rewarded for taking a stand.

One last thought. Texas may have initially allowed marriage with young girls to allow for the stupid things that some teenagers do. It is quite another thing for the FLDS or other organization to take advantage of such a loophole to systematically promote marriage of 14-16 year olds. If they persist in this practice, the government will end up destroying their church.

• FLDS Posing as outsiders
    May 14, 2008 12:45 p.m.

Alot of these comments ring of FLDS speaking as outsiders trying to sound reasonable and main stream calling for protection.

How interesting they sound. The predators are dressed in sheeps clothing trying to protect there heard of sheep (child brides). Just remember wolves in sheeps clothing come in many variations but they all have the same goal.

• Sharon
    May 14, 2008 12:43 p.m.

To A FLDS : 11:44am May14,

No one said you couldnt have the same privledge as Elisa,if thats what you want to call it. If you feel you were forced into a marriage at a very young age and raped...by all means do something about it. You do have a choice in the matter. As far as Elisa and the others not letting you do as you believe and want to..well DUH! They are not the ones stopping you...it the Law. They are just informing the Law and the public to what goes on behind closed doors, gates..etc...in the FLDS cult !

• The Texan
    May 14, 2008 12:33 p.m.

Amazing number of people on here who have no legal training making legal statements that make no sense. Just because it has a number doesn't mean it applies to anything.

Rape is Rape to those clueless FLDS posters on here.

• Nephi Barlow Jessop
    May 14, 2008 12:14 p.m.

I'm NOT FLDS, but i agree with Jim in Reno. everyone that doesn't like what the FLDS does is misinformed and wrong. Prophet warren..ooops i mean Mr. Jeffs ,will be released and the lost boys deserved to get kicked out of town for teenage immmaturity!!! Texas CPS will git sued for a gazillion dollars and Judge Walter will declare 'spiritual marriage" totally awesome!!!
    I really like laws like the 1st' 4th and 14th amendment, but i don't care too much for laws like the ones against polygamy, underage forced marriage,pandering and fraud...those laws are ignorant

but I'm not FLDS...

• Jim G..in reno?
    May 14, 2008 11:58 a.m.

Jim asks us not to speculate for God's sake....

then he goes right ahead and 'speculates' this will be turned over on the 4th..1st and whatever......

hahahaha

I'm glad to see the FLDS are buying computers and posting...the FLDS defenders are what keeps me glued to the screen. it's so dang interesting!!

• Confused
    May 14, 2008 11:57 a.m.

Jim G. You need a refresher on your law degree, there is not illegal search. Just becasue they didn's find the caller in the raid, does not invalidate the raid. It is not fruits of the poisonus vine.

If I enter a house witha warrant for Illegal documents and find drugs I can seize the drugs, even though they are not on the warrant.

The entered the compound to find a person reporting sexual, mental and physical abuse. When they found multiple people that apparenlty suffered from those atrocities, they erred on teh side of caution and we know have the results.

Was it perfect no; however, now they have to deal with it. With the information supplied there is notviolation of the amendments you quote.

• Re: Jim G
    May 14, 2008 11:56 a.m.

"If this case is thrown out due to illegal search the Judge, Governor, head of CPS in texas, Mayor and, Sheriff will be removed from office by ballot or, the U.S. Marshal...and, Mr. Jeff's will be set free."

Wishful thinking on the part of an FLDS zealot.

• Sharon
    May 14, 2008 11:52 a.m.

This is a response to.... It's About Money, May14...7:11am.

Did you ever stop to think Elisa used fake names in her book to protect family and friends from the likes of Warren Jeffs's cronies on the outside? Also, the people mentioned in her book, might of asked Elisa, not to use their real name. I guess not...otherwise you wouldnt of posted such nonsense.

• Ambivalent
    May 14, 2008 11:50 a.m.

Before the Warren Jeffs trial and the raid on the YFZ ranch, I was ambivalent about the FLDS church and their practice of polygamy, as I am with most polygamists. I had driven through Colorado City and Hilldale many times on my way to Arizona and looked on the people living there as nothing more than a curiousity.

Thanks to the Jeffs trial, my attention was drawn to other news about the FLDS church and its practices. I've gained an appreciation for the many good, decent, hard-working, God-fearing people within the FLDS communities, but they also have some serious moral and legal issues within their belief system that need to be addressed.

Instead of criticizing the news media and castigating people who are sincerely concerned about the welfare of the FLDS children and women, the FLDS should take a hard look in the mirror and come to terms with the true source of their problems -- following the misguided and often illegal directives of FLDS leaders who are leading the FLDS people astray.

A long time ago, the FLDS founders lost their way. Hopefully, these events will help some FLDS members find their way back.

• A FLDS
    May 14, 2008 11:44 a.m.

I am FLDS and Elissa can do what ever she wants rather it hurts family or friends it don't matter. What matters is when her and others try to not let me or other do what we believe and want to do. We are not brainwashed anymore than you are with the media hype. This case is not the norm of what happens there where many circumstances that we don't know about that brought this marriage togather. Elissa can feel like a victim and even make money feeling that way, just let others have the same privledge

• Rich
    May 14, 2008 11:43 a.m.

Polygamy is a crime. The polygamists are lucky that the attorney generals in Utah, Texas and Arizona have chosen to look the other way as thousands of citizens continue to take part in plural marriage. This is the real problem. Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff is afraid to enforce the law for several reasons:
    1) the cost would be too great,
    2) the convictions could be overturned after an appeal to federal courts,
    3) the LDS Chuch could reinstitute polygamy,
    4) some of his ancestors were polygamists, and they might frown on his siding with the "enemy,"
    5) the LDS Church doesn't want more publicity for an offshoot cult because the media intentionally would confuse readers and viewers over the FLDS and the LDS,
    6) it is difficult to come up with enough proof to convict a person of polygamy,
    7) the government approves of homosexual activity, sodomy, extramarital sexual activity and premarital sexual activity and, therefore, implicitly considers polygamous sexual activity no worse as Justice Scalia warned in his dissent over the sodomy issue,
    8) 18-year-old girls are old enough to vote and to serve in the military; therefore, they're old enough to marry into polygamy.

• 2 sides to every story
    May 14, 2008 11:41 a.m.

I'm glad her book is out. Those who read it will be able to learn a lot about this culture from a one-time-insider's point of view.

I've never seen a story where there weren't at least 2 sides to the story (and the truth is somewhere in between). I'm wondering if we will ever see a book documenting the rest of the story (from the husband's point of view).

Her husband's testimony in court didn't match her story, so obviously there is more than just her perspective of the events.

I know the 19 year old husband may totally be lieing or under Jeff's spell and not even know he's lieing, but still I'd like to hear his account of the rape and events leading up to it.

I'm not saying either of them isn't telling the truth. Sometimes it's just a matter of perspective, but I like to hear both sides of the story before I form my own opinion.

• Deceptive FLDS men
    May 14, 2008 11:40 a.m.

To- Tip to FLDS readers, I agree, I notice the same thing as you did while reading these posts. Also, FLDS men pose as woman on some of these Flds posts. What they say and write on here a normal woman would never say! These Flds guys are really something else!

God certainly has his hands full with all these lying deviates.

• Jim G. in Reno, NV.
    May 14, 2008 11:32 a.m.

For God's sake! no one knows anything about this!
    Wait until "due process of law"
    speculation is just that: speculation!
    I believe this "texas mess" will be overturned due to the 1st. 4th. and, 14th amendment in Federal Court; which as you know trumps state law.
    Please do not take accusation as fact!
    If this case is thrown out due to illegal search the Judge, Governor, head of CPS in texas, Mayor and, Sheriff will be removed from office by ballot or, the U.S. Marshal...and, Mr. Jeff's will be set free. (See Short Creek Aftermath)
    I speculate that these "spritual marriages" are most likely the same non-sexual "Godfather" type of assigns as the Catholic Church performs for the financial support of children: if anything happens to their birth parents. The only thing I have seen so far is that "Baptist" Judge walter is predjudicial and, should recuse herself from these proceedings; however, she appears willing to destroy her career in her zeal and, hate for these "strange" people.
    As for the "lost" boys: I would surmise that this was due to teenage immmaturity.
    The real Book on the LDS will be soon written please wait for it. I am.

• Re: on Oprah
    May 14, 2008 11:11 a.m.

"I like consistency"

Get used to disappointment.

The ex-FLDS each have stories based on their own experiences. Some of the details of the stories may not be consistence, but the overall theme is:

That the FLDS church is lead by a controlling group of men whose authority is absolute and whose edicts, regardless of how ridiculous, abusive, or against the law, must be followed without question. Freedom of expression and the right to disent are not allowed. Child abuse is sanctioned and encouraged by the church and its leaders.

• Tip to FLDS readers
    May 14, 2008 11:01 a.m.

I realize you're trying to disguise yourself as a non-polygamous Utah resident simply commenting on the infringement of a religious group's civil rights and a book with a slanted view of that religion. However, you have to work on your sentence structure and presenting your ideas clearly. A simple glance at a paragraph you've written gives you away. I know a lack of education has you at a disadvantage, but ideas you're trying to convey simply are not coming across as you want them to. Are there some adult education classes in Colorado City you can register for?

• Not FLDS
    May 14, 2008 10:57 a.m.

I find it odd that the state filed charges against Warren Jeffs as accomplice when the fact was that Rulon ordered the marriage with Jeffs only supporting his prophet. If a woman, any woman seeks out marital advice, a good counselor tried to keep the family whole if possible. How was Warren's counseling any different? The damage was already done when Rulon arranged and completed the marriage. Was it insane that a 19 year old boy was forced to marry a 14 year old? Yes, but that began with Rulon. Place blame where appropriate.

• Naomi
    May 14, 2008 10:45 a.m.

I was going to comment but what's the use of doing so? everyone from FLDS are ganging up on ELISSA WALL. You FLDS, people need to live with the truth and get use to people knowing the truth about you. ELISSA did what was right rather any of you want to agree with it or not. I see that there are a very LARGE amount of saintly people on this blog....NOT!!!

• As seen on Oprah
    May 14, 2008 10:45 a.m.

Is it just me or are all ex-flds sounding like "million little pieces" from the Oprah book club? If the group was acting as one, why do the stories seem to contradict one another. Flora says that children have inferior educations, Caroline says that they are way above average in their education. Caroline says that there was a red revelation and some women pulled out red roses to replace them with pink one while other women continued to wear their red dresses. All make the claim that they are always "watched" and have no privacy yet, Elisa manages to have an affair and get pregnant by a Barlow. Even Flora spoke with "Sarah" that started this whole process for an hour at times and repeatedly as did cps. Why is it that so many children were abused by Merrill, Caroline's husband, yet Betty returned when she was of age, after having been gone 5 years? Why is it that when this first came out the Lost boys were all "kicked out as competition for females" and now some are runaways that got involved with drugs.

Sorry, I like consistency and the Ex's aren't consistent with one another or themselves.

• Re: Bruce
    May 14, 2008 10:45 a.m.

"I don't have the intestinal fortitude or morals to live my religion. Secular society says that I shouldn't blame myself so I'll blame my family, friends, and church leaders..."

A prime example of the FLDS hatred and why innocent people are so afraid to leave your despicable group.

• Ekim
    May 14, 2008 10:41 a.m.

I'll buy her book.

• Confused
    May 14, 2008 10:38 a.m.

Since Elisa was underage, why did prosecutors not go after her parents like Texas did? Clearly they contributed more than Jeffs and should be held to a higher standard as parents. Why has there been no trial yet for the alleged rapist, but Jeffs trail was completed? Charges for Steed happened AFTER Jeffs was found guilty of accessory. Why is it that though, women are "watched carefully and have no life" she managed to commit "adultery" and get pregnant by a Barlow?

Why is it that Carolyn Jessop's "escaped" but her daughter Betty returned to the FLDS 5 years later when she was 18 years and two days? Certainly she had time to process any abuse and deprogram. Why is it that Fawn Holms, after her talk show circuit for having "escaped the cult" also returned?

It seems that the FLDS and "escapees" are just the flavor of the month and 15 minutes of fame will end shortly.
    I "escaped" from the Catholic cult into the warm embrace of Agnosticism. I should write a booking and share the horrors...oh the hours of forced kneeling....sheer abuse. It's time that we all stopped playing the victim card and move on.

• $o $ad, too bad . . .
    May 14, 2008 10:34 a.m.

Don't get me wrong, Brave Woman; I take a back seat to no one in condemning FLDS practices and dearly hope to see every last predator male in a Texas prison.

However it is a typical reaction to adversity in our culture; get a lawyer, get a book deal, pump that 15 minutes of fame for all the ca$h you can grab.

Hopefully a book will enlighten the larger society about what FLDS is actually about; bad and good. Hopefully it will not further sensationalize an already sordid and poorly understood situation.

However, if there are any assets to be had I would like to see them used to do the most good for the most FLDS victims, not lining the pockets of lawyers.

• guide
    May 14, 2008 10:34 a.m.

FLDS guide for bleeding satan;
    1.don't finish building your house, so you don't have to pay property tax on it
    2.claim your a single mother with 12 kids to the welfare office
    3.take federal highway money and public school money and put it in your pocket.
    4.underbid all the other legitimate businesses around town ,and use the young boys and girls for slave labor
    5. when running from the F.B.I., dress normally and drive a RED cadilac escalade

• Re: Why not sue her parents?
    May 14, 2008 10:28 a.m.

Because her parents don't have any money and, more importantly, because the FLDS church and it's leaders are the ones ultimately responsible for her forced marriage and rape.

• sakeneko
    May 14, 2008 10:20 a.m.

Elissa Wall -- you go, girl. :-)

Everyone -- Wall's case is not about polygamy. She wasn't in a polygamous marriage; she was forced into a monogamous marriage at fourteen years of age and then forced to have sex with a man not of her choosing. What is so difficult to understand here? FORCING A PERSON TO HAVE SEX AGAINST THEIR WILL IS BOTH IMMORAL AND ILLEGAL. IT'S CALLED RAPE.

I see two big issues with the FLDS -- the forced marriages of young girls, and the throwaway boys. If it were not for these issues, I doubt that any significant number of people would care about the polygamy.

I also suspect that any prosecutions for polygamy between consenting adults that the adults had the sense to appeal to the Supreme Court would result in the laws against it being overturned. But prosecutions for forced marriage, rape and abandonment of children are a whole different matter; when that stuff happens, it *should* be prosecuted.

• Colorado City comments
    May 14, 2008 10:18 a.m.

C'mon. Who do you think you fooling? Instead of pretending your a Baptist or a reasonable person justifying marrying off little girls, your best result would be commenting as to why you disapprove of the practice and then give lame excuses why you disapprove. This really work better than what you're doing and this is the last tip I'm giving you! Now, put up your dukes.

• FLDS commenting
    May 14, 2008 9:50 a.m.

Gee, I wonder which of the above comments are from the FLDS readers? "I hope she can live with herself. I pity her". Another says she's just after the $ and we all know money is the root of all evil. Re: Avengence. Tell me what color of pastel you're wearing right now and if you can do that hair braid yourself.

Nobody except some poor indoctorinated soul would think that exposing a group that forces a 14 year old little girl to have sex would condemn her book.

• Bruce
    May 14, 2008 9:51 a.m.

Ok. I don't have the intestinal fortitude or morals to live my religion. Secular society says that I shouldn't blame myself so I'll blame my family, friends, and church leaders..."embellishing" events as I go. To be safe, I won't use real names so I can't be sued for slander.
    I feel really guilty with no self esteem but some cash will really help me feel better.
    Will you buy my book?

Please.

• Why doesn't she sue her parents?
    May 14, 2008 9:41 a.m.

Why?

• Blind Parrots
    May 14, 2008 9:40 a.m.

It's no surprise that the FLDS propagandists, some trying to disguise themselves as people from other religions or other regions of the country, are dismissing Elissa's book as simply a money-making effort, just as they did Carolyn Jessop's book.

They're simply blind followers of a deranged leader parroting each other's comments.

The more innocent people who can be freed from this mind-controlling group, the better. God bless her for trying to make it easier for others to escape.

• Sharon
    May 14, 2008 9:37 a.m.

I watched the trial on court TV and I have to say...Elisa Wall by testifying against Warren Jeffs was a very brave thing to do.It makes me wonder,just how many more young FLDS women wish they had the guts and courage to do the same, but are scared to death to do so. For you all who didnt get to watch the trial....Warren Jeffs set there like a wounded little rat trying to gain sympathy from the court..didnt work though...the little weasel is right where he belongs...BEHIND BARS !!
    I for one...am very proud of Elisa Wall and all the other FLDS ex-members who are welling to gave of their time, and or money to help the Texas FLDS people.

• out of the woodwork
    May 14, 2008 9:08 a.m.

boy, I have never seen so many polygamists wanting to use the internet since this has unfolded. All upset the world peeked in on your depravity, eh?

• Leave God out of this..
    May 14, 2008 9:05 a.m.

Forced marriages are wrong! Woman and men should always have the choice to decide who they wish to spend their lives together with for eternity. Elissa Wall is a brave woman to come forth and tell it how it is. I'm certain that the FLDS cultists are backbiting her on this DN post. The FLDS men are self gratifying hypocrites! They need to quit using GOD to do their evil practices on women.

• so what
    May 14, 2008 9:02 a.m.

has a fund or fondation been set up for all the victims?

• You go Girl!
    May 14, 2008 9:01 a.m.

What you and the other ladies are doing takes a lot of guts. Hopefully your stories will be enough to make others sit up and take notice. I hope that all of you make tons of money from your books. But I don't think that money is the reason that you have done what you have done. The world needs to see what goes on behind these walls of secrecy. There is a saying that goes something like this "Evil can only prevail when good people do nothing". Keep up the good work.

• Gross
    May 14, 2008 8:54 a.m.

Starting over has nothing to do with writing a book to get gain. But of course, all those FLDS haters (or should I say mostly LDS haters who want to lump that church together with the cult?) out there will buy her book. Enjoy your hate.

• I notice
    May 14, 2008 8:39 a.m.

That she has her child with her as does Carolyn.

• jr
    May 14, 2008 7:37 a.m.

Good for her but nope I won't be buying it as am sick of everyone writing a book. Will she donate the money to the cause of heling the "lost boys" or other women that need to escape or will she pocket it and gloat

• FLDS Guides for Raising Kids
    May 14, 2008 7:35 a.m.

General Guidelines for FLDS Children Ages 0-2 Years

A General Daily Schedule for FLDS Children Ages 2-6 Years

A General Daily Schedule for FLDS Children 1st - 3rd Grades

A General Daily Schedule for FLDS Children 4th grade Highschool

A General Daily Schedule for FLDS Mothers Ages 14-18 Years
    (NOT NEEDED: Because our 14-year-olds don't wear makeup, these children seem young, but they are very bright and understand more than adults realize. They have been well indoctrinated, er, taught, to be child brides, and, even though they only have a 7th grade education, they are fully prepared to take on the responsibilities of being a wife, mother and child at age 14.)

A General Daily Schedule for FLDS Boys Ages 14-18 Years Surviving on the Streets
    (NOT NEEDED: Although our 14-year-old girls are "sweet", our 14-year-old boys are a mess. Thankfully most of the competition, er, boys, have been kicked out of our community and are no longer our responsibility.)

• Good for Elissa
    May 14, 2008 7:29 a.m.

She was a victim of the FLDS cult. She has to right to write a book if she wants. There are more victims than just her. Just do some research.

• avengeance
    May 14, 2008 7:21 a.m.

Another escapee from the religion no one escapes.

And a book deal to boot, eh?

I should "escape" the Southern Baptist "cult" and write a book on my terrible ordeal. I'm sure the chapter on infant male genital mutilation (circumcision) will be particularly engaging. Perhaps they'll raid all the Baptist churches in Texas and take away their kids. Any doctor could confirm the "systematic pattern of abuse".

• FLDS Smear Campaign
    May 14, 2008 7:18 a.m.

First it was Carolyn Jessop, now it's Elissa Wall. Anytime a former member who has escaped from the FLDS speaks out about what is really happening within the FLDS community, the FLDS smear campaign begins.

They know that some of their practices are illegal, and evil, but don't want the rest of the world to know that.

The trial and conviction of Warren Jeffs is a joke to them. They're so trapped in their delusions that his edicts are god's will, that they can't see him for who he truely is, a con-artist and child abuser.

• I hope this lady
    May 14, 2008 7:12 a.m.

is now happy, but I notice that she and Carolyn both have their children with them.

• Admirable
    May 14, 2008 7:11 a.m.

I say to her good job. I think it is very admirable what she has done to stand up to oppressive people. What she has done will help many people.

• It's about money
    May 14, 2008 7:11 a.m.

It is unfortunate Elisa Wall decided to use fake names for many of the characters in her book. She had no choice for they are all lies. To use a real name may have resulted in a libel and slander issue of which I am sure her lawyers warned her on.

• Save the children
    May 14, 2008 7:04 a.m.

And why not? If she were your daughter or sister....?

• Brave Woman
    May 14, 2008 6:52 a.m.

Elissa Wall is a brave woman for having the courage to stand up to Warren Jeffs and ascert her rights to make her own choices.

Hopefully, her efforts will give other young FLDS girls the courage to throw off the shackles of these controlling men.

Not surprisingly, Mr. $o $ad above is upset that the pool of available child brides could be seriously affected by all of these events.

• so what
    May 14, 2008 6:54 a.m.

i'm sure she will have a $million$ reasons to get to through her "trials" in life. sorry but i only see the crocodile tears.

• Anonymous
    May 14, 2008 6:31 a.m.

Warren Jeffs, presided over young teen boys being kicked out of their communities and their homes never to be seen again by their families. He convinced a wife of a man who was taking care of him to leave her husband along with the kids, and the poor man never saw his wife again. He comes out and tells people not to wear red, forcing poor people to get rid of many of the clothes in their closet. He continues the myth that unless these poor men and women life in plural marriage that they can't go to heaven making this life a burden for them.

Warren Jeffs is a desaster, he has caused a lot of pain to a lot of people.

• Michigander
    May 14, 2008 6:14 a.m.

I am glad the book is out. there is so much secrecy about the FLDS, that it will help to shed more light on the practices. Elissa Wall has a lot of courage and I hope that the book sells well and that the money will help to get other young women out of situations that are abusive.

• russ
    May 14, 2008 5:40 a.m.

Based on what I read on this forum, this book will be a runaway best seller. Go for it!!

Will I buy it. No. I will wait for the movie.

(Also, some brave librarian will order it for their library and I can pick it up there.)

• Elizabeth Conley
    May 14, 2008 5:20 a.m.

You go girl! The only way to break the diabolical hold Warren Jeffs has on his followers is to drain his coffers of the money he's stolen from them. Use that money to heal as many victims as possible.

Christian women take note. Give some men an inch, and they'll take a mile. The "male headship" rhetoric that you've been hearing in recent decades is dangerous stuff. Do you want your lives and those of your daughters' to be as miserable as those of the women in the FLDS?

Nip it in the bud, ladies! Tell your husbands you want to be part of a healthy church where women are respected!

• observer
    May 14, 2008 5:08 a.m.

She has books to sell. Just one more of the FLDS damning book selling crowd. Bet she hopes you all will buy one. Money the root of all evil. They don't say that for nothing.

• "Stolen Innocence"
    May 14, 2008 1:01 a.m.

The result of Mrs. Wall's book pre-release publicity Hoax in Texas resulted in the "Stolen Innocence" of over 400 children. I pray she can live with herself. I pity her!

• $o $ad