Mormon writer proves she's . . . A novel writer

• Allie
    May 13, 2008 12:25 a.m.

I am also LDS and loved the books! They were very entertaining and deeply moral. Sexual tension is apart of our lives, a part of who we are as human beings. It is a god-given gift in the right sense! Edward posseses this standard in the form of "old fashionedness", and Bella learns to really appreciate it. I work at a recovery home for girls with eating disorders, and this book is extremely popular. It has given many of the girls hope that there are boys out there who will respect a girl, who will want them for far more than just physical reasons. It has given them hope in many ways.

As far as the love not being realistic, we all experience love differently. My sister and I loved to discuss how it reminded us of when we were initially dating our husbands, and everything was mysterious and enrapturing. But relationships grow and deepen, and love and respect are expressed differently. I think Bella and Edward began to do this in the third book, and I am excited to see how it develops.

Stephenie did an excellent job raising serious questions about life and life for all to understand.

• Paula
    May 13, 2008 12:19 a.m.

I love Twilight and the whole series! They kept me on edge and I want more EDWARD!@!! I totally have a crush on him(yes, yes I know he is not real)I can't wait for August and I certainly can't wait for December for the movie! I have been following the making of it and it looks GREAT!!! I am also Lds and I see a good message in this book. There are morals and a beautiful relationship between Bella and Edward. Lighten up, people! It's a GREAT read! I NEED BOOK 4!!!!!!!!:)

• focuson the literature
    May 12, 2008 10:04 p.m.

I, personally,am LDS and yes, they do sleep on the same bed and yes, there are some heated scenes and some scenes where tempatations are given into, but in the end they worki t all out the right way,... if edward were away from bella too long he may loose his " densensitisation" to it,... Mrs.Meyer has wonderful literatrue that raises important questions about life and who we all are as people and what we would do for our one true love,.,.. First love and true love are different that is whu jacob is sooo important ROCK ON STEPHANIE!!

• Fan of good writing
    May 12, 2008 7:52 p.m.

For those of you who like excellent writing, attention to detail, historical mysteries, fantasy, excellent characterization, and subtle but powerful moral principles, I'd like to suggest Anne Perry, a British LDS writer. Sister Perry deals with strong themes in a powerful but sensitive way. Her Come Armageddon is as powerful a fantasy novel as one could find, and her two mystery series show her depth of compassionate spirituality--she is NEVER preachy, and in fact, many of her readers probably never knew she is LDS, although she is very open about her faith on her web site. I've read her for about 30 years, my husband has recently started reading her stuff and I've met and talked with her. She is what a fine writer should be!

• innamorataditwilight
    May 12, 2008 7:51 p.m.

My daughter (13)and I love the Twilight books. It is a fine series in which Ms. Meyer has taken the opportunity to create characters who, even in the most impossible circumstances, struggle to do good. I find Ms. Meyer very responsible in presenting characters who value friendship, family, chastity, commitment and education. Aside from the vampire twist, Bella and Edward, like typical teens, experience loneliness, sexual tension, and growing pains. As in some of the world's most loved classics about young people, these characters are presented in a way that is appealing to all ages. It's an excellent story!

• Anti Occult
    May 12, 2008 7:43 p.m.

Mr/Ms Ocult,
    If you took the time to read her books, you would know that the Vampire in this book dosen't drink blood. it's not about blood lust.

• Time changes things...
    May 12, 2008 7:07 p.m.

Time magazine refered to the way Mrs. Meyers writes "absolutely, deliciously filthy."
    Personally, I was worried when the main character lets the vampire sneak into her bedroom, and climb onto her bed next to her as she falls asleep. Even though he's on top of the sheets & she's under them, this isn't a great idea for any young pair!!!!
    It also worried me that almost the whole second book was the main character majorly depressed over her not-possible relationship, to the point of self-neglect & loss of normal, healthy desire -- my daughter was struggling with depression at the time we were introduced to the book, so I was looking for how this character got help.
    She didn't, really, nor was she shown hope except by dying & becoming a vampire herself. Not what my daughter needed to hear when she was struggling with suicidal thoughts.
    Mrs. Meyers is a gifted author -- please include the hope that the world needs, and that the gospel of Jesus Christ offers in your books! So many people need that hope!!!

• wallofvoodoo
    May 12, 2008 4:50 p.m.

Home of a Y chromosone and acually liked the books. The plot was fascinating, it was easy to be sympathetic with the characters and most of all it left me wanting more. It is funny that people criticize it for not promoting role models, it is the opposite of the criticism from the City Weekly was that it tried to be too wholesome. The wording to me left something to be desired, but it is aimed at young girls so go figure. Not as good as Orson Scott Card, but I think a step in the right direction. Maybe as she gets more experience, her writing will become stronger.

• Surprise for Guys
    May 12, 2008 3:59 p.m.

I am female, I like all of Stephenie Meyers' books (I just finished The Host) but I hate "chick" books and movies (my background is in engineering). My husband also liked the Twilight series and we've convinced many of our male friends to read it. We all liked the action and adventure in the books, despite the teen angst. We liked the addition to vampire and werewolf mythology. My husband and I, specifically, have been more than a little impatient with some of Bella's decisions, but Stephenie's writing is so good, it's like we believe in Bella when we're in her world.

The Host is incredible science fiction. I kept my expectations down because Stephenie kept apologizing for it in some of her interviews, but I was really impressed. The aliens she has created and their view of humans is truly fascinating and thought provoking. My dad is a 60-something science fiction fan and I'm recommending The Host for him.

• Erin
    May 12, 2008 3:54 p.m.

I've talked to Stephenie personally for almost a year before her Twilight books came out. SHE IS AWESOME! A wonderful Mother, Character, and friend. God Bless Her.
    I'm totally a fan of her books too. To have such talent to write those stories :) I'm very jealous.

• SF
    May 12, 2008 1:35 p.m.

I think because Stephanie Meyer is LDS that she should represent the church in a positive way, and I think that she has. I don't think that because she is LDS that her books should have to have something that young people can look up too. It's a book and for entertainment. That's what is great about books, it can be about anything.

• From Seattle
    May 12, 2008 1:22 p.m.

Ok, So as I read the negative comments about Meyers morals in writing the books, I am amazed at how sheltered we mormons can be. HELLO!!! The truth is that yes, there are some parts of the books where things got heated between Bella and Edward. But truthfully, we mormons are humans and have the priviledge of experiencing emotions in connection with our bodies -we cannot deny them or hide them -what matters is how we act on these feelings. Edward oviously makes the right choice.
    I am an English Lit graduate and because of my degree I considered writing but like Meyer said, it is a risky exposure of yourself, I believe she is very brave to put herself out there and be judged by all. Especially, what a challenge to be a mormon and be judged by mormons, lets not tare her down. The important thing to remember for Stephanie is that she is not writing to PLEASE all. She is writing because she has an incredible talent and she has a passion for her stories and her characters. Let people who are not afraid to think outside the box read her stories!!!

• Becca
    May 12, 2008 12:31 p.m.

I love Stephanie's books! I'm a poor college student and can't afford The Host, but I'm super excited to get a hold of it. I agree that they are chic books, but for all you guys reading them, Learn from Edward! If you want a girl, immitate him and treat the girl you love like he treats Bella and you will be loved for life!

• Donald Grow
    May 12, 2008 12:21 p.m.

I read the whole series and they were fairly good. My only thought is that I would call them chic-books. I will read others that she might write. I did feel she had somewhat of a struggle to keep the girl chaste and did pretty good at it.

• J.R.
    May 12, 2008 11:47 a.m.

I was gripped throughout the first 2 books and by the third lost patience with Bella (she reminded me of too many girls I knew in high school). Nonetheless, Ms. Meyers possesses a great talent for creating a very enjoyable story.

To the other guys who have asked if they would like the Twilight Series, if you like romantic novels then yes. First and foremost these are stories about love. It is certainly a universal theme and that is no doubt why Ms. Meyers novels have achieved such success. Beyond the love theme, she has created fantastic characters. Her descriptions are such that I really feel like I know them.

• HeatherD
    May 12, 2008 11:17 a.m.

Read the first book.

That's 5 hours of my life I'll never get back.

• Another 50+ Male
    May 12, 2008 11:07 a.m.

To 50+ Male:

Having not read the books, I'm curious about your statement that the way Edward treats Bella is "not going to happen in real life". What exactly does Edward do for Bella that you would not do for your wife? And, if not, why not?

• Anonymous
    May 12, 2008 10:31 a.m.

I love the last comment by 50+male. Thanks for the reality check.
    I like sci-fi, fantasy fiction stuff. I think the important thing to remember is that its fiction. As long as you dont start looking for vampires, saying magic words and expecting things to happen, or thinking youve gained some new 6th sense that makes you powerful, sit back and enjoy a great read. That of course is just my personal opinion and if you feel otherwise dont bother to tell me because I only read these things once.
    I thought there were only 3 books in the twilight series. I was horrified as anticipation for the next book filled me when I realized at the end of book 3 that I was wrong.
    Well done Mrs. Myers. I especially enjoy reading these books out loud with my best friend. We laughed so hard when Alice kidnapped Bella in exchange for the yellow sports car and wasnt sorry at all. Thanks for entertaining us. 

• 50 + Male
    May 12, 2008 9:44 a.m.

After my wife and married daughters raved about how good the books are I began reading them. Indeed they are a quick read, nice when a person wants to forget his/her present situation. One negative is that women want us men to act and treat them like Edward does Bella. Not going to happen in real life. I guess that is why it is called fiction.

• Rich
    May 12, 2008 9:30 a.m.

Mormons are not commanded to avoid R rated movies. Do you honestly think the First Presidency would allow a committee of Hollywood types to set LDS standards? President Hinckley advised members to seek out good entertainment and to avoid that which is base, obscene, vulgar and without merit. There are many PG and PG13 movies that meet that definition. Some of the finest movies ever made have been rated R because they are not suitable for kids, yet they are not just suitable for adults but also highly recommended for adults. If you're not comfortable watching an R rated movie, skip it but don't preach to me. I use my free agency to view what I consider to be educational, inspiring, patriotic, entertaining, wholesome and worthwhile. If the Bible were filmed as written, it would be X rated. A realistic portrayal of the New Testament account of the last day of Christ would be R rated. Oh, wasn't that what it was rated? I certainly won't let a committee composed of moviemakers and others decide what is suitable for me to watch.

• Recommend? Yes!
    May 12, 2008 9:18 a.m.

I would for sure recommend The Host to you. It is great sci-fi. Body snatchers totally creep me out. If you enjoy fantasy then I would recommend the Twilight series to you as well. I've had one male friend say it was too teenage girly for him, but my husband and many other men I know read and enjoyed them. Enjoy.

• Recommedation?
    May 12, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Hey, I'm a guy and 56 years old. Would any of you readers of Ms. Meyer out there recommend this book to an old coger like me?

• Patrick
    May 12, 2008 8:04 a.m.

"also how about the subtle background theme of trying to be a better person regardless of the hand you've been dealt."

I wouldn't exactly call that theme subtle. "Overt to the point of intrusive" is more like it.

However, I will say I like her writing style. It's clean (in both literary and moral senses) and straightfoward, without feeling dumbed down or preachy, aside from the obvious.

• Gary's Baby
    May 12, 2008 1:35 a.m.

Some of you guys are just as bad as the presidential election. Why aren't you condemning those who write bad books who claim they are Catholic? Stephanie does not write bad books and if you think she does, then you have your own issues and need to start singing hymns in your head to get your whacked thoughts out. Don't you notice a trend? Mormons are always put on the spotlight (poor Romney. the church was running for president, not him). So, enjoy her wonderful talent of SCI FI. It is amazing work. She is very knowledgeable and only she is in charge of her eternal salvation. Quit judging her. If you have such an issue about it, dont read her books and get off of it!
    And for the person who stated she should be a model instead of a writerthey have special groups and classes for people like you.

• Sarah
    May 12, 2008 12:59 a.m.

Also to Judy,
    Yes you are entitled to your opinion. However, if you find her books to be a waste of your time then why are you "wasting your precious time" reading articles online about her?? Obviously you must have some interest.

With that said, I personally adore Stephenie. Her writing is truly astonishing and quite engaging as well. The Twilight series has inspired so many fans to reawaken their imaginations and has given them reason to believe that, just like the stories in Stephenie Meyer's head came to life on the pages of a book, the stories and works of art in their heads can come to life in both the same and different ways as well too! Her stories are ones that will continue to capture readers interests and imaginations for years to come. Stephenie is already one of the greatest writers of all time in my book and I can't wait to see what other stories come from her intriguing mind in the future!

• twilight widower
    May 12, 2008 12:07 a.m.

My wife and daughter are junkies. Personally, I don't get it. I have struggled through the first two books so I can try to bond with the fam. No go. As adults we know this is fiction but what about these young impressionable youth that are reading these stories. If we can't have our "one true love" we try to kill ourselves? Edward going to Italy and Bella getting a motorcycle and cliff jumping. How many of us married our first love? At least it keeps the kids reading I guess.

• Andrea/Judy A
    May 11, 2008 11:57 p.m.

I'll just let you two girls fight it out!

• Alisha
    May 11, 2008 11:14 p.m.

Andrea I'm totally with. It's amazing how people who have never read the novels decide they are going to make blanket statements about the books' value. I think Thumper (from Bambi) said it best when he said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Perhaps we should change it to, "If you haven't read the books don't say anything about them."

• Katherine
    May 11, 2008 10:39 p.m.

Amen, andrea! what you said says it all.

• To Andrea
    May 11, 2008 10:33 p.m.

Amen sister

• Andrea
    May 11, 2008 8:16 p.m.

To Judy;
    you are entitled to your opinion however how can you say I quote "There is nothing in them that could be a role model for the many teens reading them." when this series obviously promotes the idea of abstinence until marriage, in a world where morality is easily exchange for money or popularity is refreshing to find some solace in a popular book, also how about the subtle background theme of trying to be a better person regardless of the hand you've been dealt. Please read the series before you make such an ignorant remark.

• judy A
    May 11, 2008 7:50 p.m.

I find her books to be a waste of time.Why not use her talent to do something up lifting. There is nothing in them that could be a role model for the many teens reading them.

• Lynn
    May 11, 2008 7:27 p.m.

Don't forget one of the most famous sci-fi writers of all time, Orson Scott Card, is a devout Latter-day Saint Mormon. In fact, he often incorporates some Mormon ideas in his writing.

Also, Glen Larson, who wrote Battle Star Galactica, was also a Mormon, and he put some pretty obvious Mormon ideas in that show, including allusions to temple sealings, eternal marriage,etc.

Obviously, reading or writing sci-fi and fantasy novels is not against church doctrine, as long as it is done tastefully, and doesn't promote immorality, or other sinful behavior.

As for connections with the occult being evil at face value, some people say Mormonism is occult. People need to realize, the true meaning of occult is simply unknown, or hidden, secret (sacred) wisdom. By that definition, the study of occult teachings is not necessarily evil. Otherwise, the teachings of the Temple, which are sacred, and thus hidden from the outside world, could be considered evil.

• Sanguina
    May 11, 2008 7:12 p.m.

Brilliant article. I am always eager to read anything on Stephenie. I can't wait to see what else she has in store for us.

• Natasha
    May 11, 2008 7:08 p.m.

I love you Stephenie! I'm LDS and her books are amazing. Keep on writing!

• To Occult
    May 11, 2008 6:10 p.m.

I am LDS and served a mission and I lover her books. I have never in my lifetime heard any teaching or anything saying books, movies or entertainment about witches,vampires,monsters etc. is off limits. We have been told to avoid R rated movies. There are several Christian denominations that would call her books Occultic and evil. Similar to what they said about Harry Potter. And I have even known a few LDS people who felt that way. However, the majority that I know of do not feel this way. And there has never been any church position on such matters, that I know of.

• Ceily
    May 11, 2008 5:48 p.m.

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe how awesome her books are!!!!!!!!!!! I have read the first one 30 times, I've counted! I can't wait for trhe 4th book in the twilight series to come out!!!!!!!!!! I have read the 2nd book only 8 times 'cause it has too much Jacob. I've read the 3rd one 24 times!!!!!! Stephanie Meyer is such a powerful writer! I started the series in February!!!!!!

Ceily Thomas Age 11

• GJ
    May 11, 2008 4:44 p.m.

I just love her and her work. Everything she has done is just so addicting and she just has this amazing personality. Thank you for this.

• leia
    May 11, 2008 3:58 p.m.

Occult mschult. Writing about vampires isn't occultic. She's not teaching kids how to become vampires and suck people's blood out. She's telling a fantasy derived story. Where a young man finds himself to be a vampire, and still tries to rise above his natural tendencies to be a better being. I can't believe how overly literal people can be when it comes to FICTION.

• Anonymous
    May 11, 2008 1:57 p.m.

After reading Twilight, I think she would be a much better model than writer. She is hot!

• Re;anonymous
    May 11, 2008 12:38 p.m.

My bad, I thought she graduated from Alta now I'm told she attended Alta High. Still a Hawk!

• rabid reader
    May 11, 2008 11:50 a.m.

I'm firmly LDS and a geek. Reading and writing fantasy and sci-fi is not against the standards of the church at all. I don't read individual books that contain offensive material, just as Meyer doesn't write it. There's no reason the two very broad sci-fi and fantasy genres would be considered taboo altogether. They're just stories. That would be like asking how an orthodox LDS sports fan can justify watching football on Monday night because the team plays on Sunday too.

• Nobody
    May 11, 2008 11:43 a.m.

Nobody says authors can't be attractive, Sub-Odeon. Nobody. Leave the strawman arguments to the political pages.

• Anonymous
    May 11, 2008 11:07 a.m.

She didn't graduate from Alta! She grew up in Scottsdale, AZ. She still lives in the north scottsdale/cave creek area.

• Go Hawks
    May 11, 2008 10:50 a.m.

An Alta high school grad!.

May 11, 2008 10:24 a.m.

How does an apparently orthodox, Sunday go-to-meeting Mormon justify her affinity with the occult? Vampires, blood lust, aliens? Please, all you rabid readers, enlighten me. I thought that stuff was taboo for LDS.

May 11, 2008 10:08 a.m.

Can't wait to read the new one! What great work she will have for us in the future!

• Sub-Odeon
    May 11, 2008 9:52 a.m.

Who says authors can't be attractive? Mrs. Meyer is stunning.

And kudos to Meyer for finding success in the fiction world; where tens of thousands long to break in every year, but only a handful actually succeed.

• Anonymous
    May 11, 2008 9:49 a.m.

I just finished Eclipse last night and can hardly wait for the fourth book in the Twilight series. I went online last night to find out when that book would be published (Aug 2) and was overjoyed to find she had written The Host. Not only that, but the first Twilight movie will be released in December 2008! I watched the trailer. Can't wait!

Meyer is a wonderfully talented writer and I look forward to many more of her books.

• AZ
    May 11, 2008 8:30 a.m.

I love her books! Thanks!