Rock On: Jake Heaps era is over at BYU, details are leaking out

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Feb. 9, 2012 7:40 a.m.

If the era is over, why do we still have to read about Jake Heaps?

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    Feb. 8, 2012 12:46 p.m.

@ Go Utes
    Focusing on being only a coach at BYU? This is BYU, not state university in Provo. If he only focused on football then he would not be the coach. LaVell did not just focus on football, he was like a bishop also. In fact, Bronco does more coaching than LaVell did. Edwards was a delegator. No, BYU is not mediocre. Bronco has about the same winning percentage as LaVell. The difference in the rivalry is Utah has finally broken out of years and years of mediocrity, and raises their level of play in the rivalry game and BYU makes more mistakes than other games (7 turnovers in the past game and the same deal in the previous). As far as winning a national championship, ask Boise St how difficult that is, even when undefeated. Ask your Utes, even when undefeated.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 8, 2012 12:18 p.m.

"I have to wonder how Bronco would have handled Jim McMahon?" McMahon would not have stayed. Heaps has a good chance of playing in a BCS Game when he becomes eligible while at BYU he would have never have achieved that accomplishment.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2012 10:51 a.m.

@ Ville

"teaching the upper classman to stop whining if they don't like somebody and play hard for everybody gives you more of a chance to make it to the top and into consideration for a BCS bowl game."

Exactly. I thought Jake made some errors in judgement and maturity, but I thought how others, especially upperclassman and returned missionaries who are in some cases 25 years old, responded to him was much, much worse.

@ Papa Smurf Ute

There are two reasons Bronco has more 10 win seasons: easier schedule, and more games played per season. LaVell's bowl opponents were much tougher on average as well. (Fewer bowls in those days.)

If you want the Utes to respect the National Championship, you have to respect their BCS wins.

• Henry Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 5:54 p.m.

I know Jake personally and he is a great kid. No need to write this article, this is old news.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Typical response by Bronco. He loves to alienate his fans saying their level of intelegence matches their critisism of football, or something close to that. I cannot recite him verbatum. Also, to make that kind of a jab at a 20 year old kid, who cannot defend himself goes above and beyond anything I ever thought I would hear out of Bronco's mouth. If he wants to be an outlet for the church and get the exposure out for his team and the church, he should refrain from making fun of a kid, or saying things about a kid when they are not there to tell their side of the story. Bronco knows all, and all of his fans his players, and the rest of his masses are just peons or puppets in his little world. Lavell may not have had as many 10 win seasons, but the WAC in the early 90's and even in the 70's was a lot better than the MWC the last few years. Other than Utah and TCU, the other games you could just walk out there and win most days. Same with their new Irrelevent Indy WAC, Sunbelt, Conf USA, etc. schedule. So great for Bronco for getting their team to 10 wins against bad competition. Lavell would not have spoke like that about current, past, or transferred players, and he also probably would have gone undefeated the years Bronco won 11 games, and lost to Tulsa, and BC or to TCU, and UTAH. Lavell was a great coach, Bronco tries and fails to be a leader of men, not a coach.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Wow there sure are a lot of random opinions here. Let's remember to be constructive in our comments.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 3:14 p.m.

The sense of entitlement goes both ways for the coach. He feels like he can insist that the players beg for a scholarship, not the other way around.
    He went after Heaps. No reason to take a cheap shot on a kid.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 3:02 p.m.

@ Patriot.

Couldn't agree more. I am a big Ute fan. Like now, I couldn't stand BYU during the Lavell era (mostly because they always beat up on Utah nearly every time they met). But I respected BYU and its program. I respected Lavell as a coach. He built a great program that could compete at the highest levels. With Bronco (or "Captain Bronconi" as he is affectionately called in some circles), that respect just isn't there for me. He has convinced himself that he is some sort of ecclesiastical leader bringing the Gospel to the masses. I know many Y fans, unfortunately, agree with his approach. If he just focused on playing football, and did not try to be a bishop, etc. (if only all bishops were paid what he makes), then I could respect him. Wouldn't make me cheer for BYU (alas, this life-long Ute fan is hopelessly tainted). All he does is talk. With Heaps, he no doubt probably had a sense of entitlement. But the current state of BYU football fosters that. Heaps was over-hyped (some of it was of course coming from himself), how could he not believe at least some of it? As soon as BYU as a program, and Bronco as a coach, stop feeling entitlement, then perhaps that problem will subside among the players.

• Topher Herriman, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 1:55 p.m.

Here's just another example of a reporter that is working for the wrong news organization. Why ya gotta hang to all that hate Brad? If it wasn't for the "catchy" headline, I would have just passed you by again. You really have no genuine input for the readers here. Good bye and good luck

• Ville Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Nice classy comment by Bronco. Nobody to blame but himself and the OC. They recruited Heaps and for whatever reason, Jake's performance, their lack of patience, coaching ability, couldn't make it work. Don't worry about that BCS game, with the current QB and talent level, the Cougars won't be getting close to that bowl game. Playing walk-on's, those who would be back ups at better programs, doesn' cut it for big time bowl games. Recruiting the best type of athletes, 4 star players that can fit into your system along with teaching the upper classman to stop whining if they don't like somebody and play hard for everybody gives you more of a chance to make it to the top and into consideration for a BCS bowl game. BYU is a good program and can be ranked in that 20-25 team area but it will need more talent and coaching up kids to get to BCS level.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 1:25 p.m.

I see BYU on the same path as UCLA football. Under Terry Donahue, UCLA was GREAT! Since Donahue UCLA has become progressively worse and now they find themselves on the bottom of the Pac 12 year in and year out. Under Edwards BYU was a national power and a QB factory for the NFL. Under Mendenhaul, BYU prospered when Anae took over the offense and now with Anae gone who is BYU? They have lost their identity. Doman has no idea what he is doing and seems to want to tailor the offense to "his" skill set which was run first and pass second. BYU became a success back in the early 1970's because they chose to throw the ball. Lavell realized that BYU couldn't recruit the type of athletes needed to run the ball like Oklahoma so he perfected the passing game instead. Bronco has decided to return to the pre-1970's run game which saw BYU finishing last in the WAC year in and year out. Here is one BYU fan longing for the good ole days.....

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 12:46 p.m.

geez Brad.. if you have details about Jake Heaps let us know. But don't mislead us with a headline and then just give us your opinion about the topic. Get some facts and then write a story based on facts.. this was nothing but your imagination.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Feb. 7, 2012 12:35 p.m.

I'm not a BYU fan, but I always felt that Bronco was a class act. I'm shocked if he actually made this remark in reference to Jake Heaps. I hope this is one that you have to retract.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 12:28 p.m.

I have to wonder how Bronco would have handled Jim McMahon? I think Jim would have lasted one season and then transferred. The difference between Bronco and Lavell is HUGE!! Edwards wasn't trying to build a seminary class ... he was trying to win football games. BYU football 'used to be' really fun to follow and watch but no more. BYU used to be just like Boise St is today - able to beat anybody in the nation on a given day. The NFL was full of former BYU grad's from the 1970's on up to 2008. No more. BYU is becoming a mediocre program that just isn't on the same level as it once was under Lavell. Too bad. As for Heaps - he will be really good at Kansas and definitely made the right decision to transfer. BYU is entering the new era of run and punt football. The QB factory is shut down for good.

• Lehicoug Lehi, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Rock, seriously? I never heard Mendenhall mention Heaps once.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 10:36 a.m.

I think Roscoe was embarrassed that Dorothy clicked his heels and found himself in Kansas.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 8:39 a.m.

I guess that I am going to your home to tell you and your DN Sport Geeks need to let it go on this Heaps kid.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 7, 2012 8:23 a.m.

If Damian Lillard feels he has too much pressure, I have to wonder what it was like to be in Jimmer's shoes last year.
    So we now know that the problem was that Jimmer would not kneel at the feet of the coaching staff. Being able to manage people with diverse backgrounds and skills is one of the marks of a great coach. Inability to cope with talented players takes more management skills then apparently BYU can muster. I guess that is why this coaching staff prefers walk-ons & transfers to highly qualified players. As a leader, I found it much better to surround myself with talented people. I can't imagine not wanting have have the best talent. Unfortunately, BYU has to face another season without a quarterback.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Feb. 7, 2012 7:36 a.m.

I personally don't have a problem with Rock bringing up the topic again. I mean Bronco went out of his way to beat on the dead horse a little more.

Perosnally if you want to blame someone, blame Bronco for not letting this go. For crying out loud, Heaps is gone. He's been gone for 2+ months. Time to put it to bed. Bronco's already showing his man love that he had for Riley for Mangum and Mangum hasn't done a thing yet nor will he for several years if any after his mission.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Feb. 7, 2012 6:55 a.m.

Keep in mind this is only Rocks opinion.Why is it that people try to interpet other peoples remarks to suit their opinion.He said nothing about Jake Haps.Your inference is your opinion of Heaps, and to say the coaches didn't like his attitude is Talking about something you don't know unless you are a mind reader also, or they have given you their personal opinion.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 7, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Speaking of entitled didn't diva down south make demands to the Big 12 and Big East?

How's the "discussions" going?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 7, 2012 2:05 a.m.

Classic Rock. As usual, I laughed at each segment here.

I am a huge critic. I don't care for the bulk of our local radio personalities. Brad leaves much to be desired in that forum for me when he fills in as well. But as a writer, Rock fills the void of what lacks in our other writers. He can be deep and down right sarcastically silly. Love it.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2012 10:40 p.m.

@alternate, I couldn't disagree more. The mean-spirited comments were directed against a 20-year-old young man who not only wasn't in the room, he was a thousand miles away. Talk about a cowardly cheap shot.

Heaps was good enough to earn a portion of the starting job as a true freshman, good enough to win the job again in the winter and fall. How is that a sense of "entitlement?" He wasn't the one who used his defensive coach as a scapegoat, followed by his offensive coordinator, followed by his quarterback.

Did he lose his job? Yes. Was the Cougars poor early season performance entirely his fault? No. Scapegoat.

I'm a Cougar through-and-through, but Mendenhall disgusts me. He has accomplished a fraction of what Coach Edwards did, while standing on Edwards' shoulders, yet is more arrogant on his most humble day than Edwards was in the shadow of his monumental accomplishment. In fact, the contrast can easily be illustrated in this way: Bronco talks about a national championship, Edwards one a National Championship. Big talk vs big accomplishments.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2012 10:20 p.m.

I am extremely disappointed in the mean spirited comments by Mr Rock directed against BYU and its football coach. This is a case where the Deseret News should have encouraged one of its own to be more civil.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 6, 2012 8:44 p.m.

Which is also something BYU should remember if it ever gets to a BCS bowl: thankful but not entitled."

Ouch Rock, why the slam? Something bugging you? I wonder if you gave the same advice when Utah went PACing, even though they were Uhm, the back up plan?

• dhsalum Saint George, UT