Sports

Utah Utes football: Johnson ahead of the curve once again

Comments

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 8:34 p.m.

I get a chuckle out of all the fans who claim byu is the big brother. But, if they stop to think of how things were from the very beginning, it soon becomes clear who is following who in this situation.

Brigham Young founded both schools. The U of U was founded in 1850, then 25 years later, he decided the U needed a little brother, so in 1875 byu came along.

As you can see, clearly, the y has been trying to catch up ever since.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Feb. 3, 2012 5:04 p.m.

@ Quackhunter

"utah's norm chow lead offense was practically the worst offense in the entire country last season, which is exactly what BYU fans predicted. This is indisputable fact".

Norm Chow's "worst offense" still up 54 points on your sorry kitten's defense. Half way through the third quarter BYU's fans took the walk of shame to the exits with their tail between their legs.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 3, 2012 5:00 p.m.

@Howard S.: "In fact, the (kitten) Nation's new found appreciation for Colorado defines what being a little brother is all about... finding someone else to fight your battles for you."

Classic!!

Go Utes!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 3:03 p.m.

@ares

utah's norm chow lead offense was practically the worst offense in the entire country last season, which is exactly what BYU fans predicted. This is indisputable fact.

LOL!

• JinSoCal sandy, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 1:42 p.m.

My mighty Trojans are worried now. This postpones a PAC 12 south title by 5 years. Hope all the Utah fans stop worrying about Byu and start worrying about winning in conference.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Feb. 3, 2012 11:59 a.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls if off. By this time next year we'll be giving him his lifetime achievement award.

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 8:06 a.m.

Atta boy Howie.

Sammyg, I could have sworn I have seen you on the BYU boards touting your shpeel on "Utah trolls on BYU boards"...

Little brother syndrome?

Take your own advice before you give it to someone. Remember how you thought Chow was "washed up" before he put a smack down on your Cougies 54-10?

I do too. It was great.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 3, 2012 8:00 a.m.

So much for the downhill running game with John White IV and Kevin York. That goes away when Johnson wants to spread things out. I don't like that.

White IV was dominant last year. This despite eight men stacking the box most of the time. Think how successful White IV could he be if Utah gained a passing game to keep the defense more unbalanced?

Spreading things out requires an athletic QB. What, is Utah going to start a true freshman at QB like Chase Hansen or Travis Wilson? Please no! We already have a freshman like offensive coordinator. What's next in this extreme youth movement?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 2:03 a.m.

One of my favorite parts about this coaching staff is Sharrieff Shah. His energy should be a big time boost for recruiting. It's impossible to talk to the guy and not come away with a smile on your face.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Feb. 3, 2012 12:05 a.m.

howie

Big Brother BYU's Top 25 finish > little brother Utah's fluke win over BYU

Get used to being a little fish in a big pond little brother.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:16 p.m.

@sammyg

"So a Ute season is always measured against BYU?"
    ************

Are stats about Brian Johnson's record against BYU relevant when responding to those of the Cougar Nation who ridicule his hiring... I think so.

Would Cougar fans rather talk about Utah v. Colorado than Utah v. BYU... I think so.

The Cougar Nation seems to have adopted an interest in Utah's new rival because they did what Utah's old rival couldn't come close to doing.

In fact, the Nation's new found appreciation for Colorado defines what being a little brother is all about... finding someone else to fight your battles for you.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:42 p.m.

sammyg

So a Ute season is always measured against BYU?

-----------

Um, last time I checked we weren't the ones printing "Quest" t-shirts for what Utah has done TWICE.

I can't say I'm happy about the move, I'm not sure if he's ready to lead a PAC-12 offense. Regardless, as a Ute I endorse this promotion.

Good luck BJ!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:56 p.m.

little howie

So a Ute season is always measured against BYU? I thought U guys had BYU in the rearview mirror, moved on, and so forth.

What does that measuring stick show when you use it in the PAC 10.2 and what's that record against Colorado, your new true rival?

Are these not the stats that are really relevant to the Ute program today?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 9:28 p.m.

@Snack PAC

"Brian Johnson coached quarterbacks are winless against 10-loss teams."
    ***************

Quarterbacks? Plural?

Actually only one Brian Johnson coached QB has ever lost to a 10 loss team.

But let's not let niggling little facts get in the way of BYU hyperbole...

Here are a couple of indisputable facts...

- Brian Johnson coached quarterbacks have a combined record of 18 and 8.

- As a player and a coach Brian Johnson has a personal record of 5 and 1 against BYU.

Yup... Brian Johnson knows a thing or two about beating BYU.

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:39 p.m.

Wow! This just might be a good hire on KW's part. Or it could very quickly become the biggest mistake of his career and set the team back for multiple years to come. One thing is for sure, we will start finding out in just over six months. Hold on to your hats because this might be a wild ride.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 8:23 p.m.

@bigutefan

That was the most muddled bunch of nonsensical rationalization in the history of this site.

LOL!

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:59 p.m.

Brian Johnson is going to be great. He has always been a winner, that is all he knows how to do. I find it funny that many posters think that Gary Crowton was the star attraction of the applicants. He was just the only one that went to the press to say he applied. That does not mean he was the big name. Yes, it is a risk hiring Brian who is young, but Whitt knows what he is doing and I absolutely support his decisions. Comparing Brian to Doman is also ridiculous. Brian had the skills to take the Utes to an undefeated season, a bashing of BCS power Alabama in a BCS bowl game, and a final #2 ranking. He has big time experience. He also spent the past year with Norm Chow, I certainly don't think the Chow play book is just going to be thrown out the window. Imagine a recruit getting visited by BJ, Sharieff, and Scalley. Utah may have the coolest bunch of recruiters in the nation, and yes I know the three of them are not big famous names, but they are all great people. Teams new what Norm was going to run last year, Utah will have new plays to confuse opponents. Yes some good offensive hires were made in Leach and Rich Rod, but c'mon, they were all fired, and the coaches will all know what to expect. Expect the unexpected with the Utes. Bravo Kyle!

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:57 p.m.

Surprised that this is the best they could find in a nationwide search. But good luck. I do like it when the local talent - former students - get the job over ourside talent.

• Utah Fan2 Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:52 p.m.

VegasUte

Speak for yourself about delusional. BYU fans may be haters, but they're hardly jealous of the Utes taking a flyer on a 24yo kid with absolutely no OC experience. Add to that serious questions at QB and the Utes are setting themselves up for an epic offensive meltdown.

What on earth is Kyle thinking?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:46 p.m.

Oh hand me the dramamine please, this is one spin ride from the moment it was announced. buuuuuuuick

A few rational comments from the Ute faithful but the spin from those that were lambasting Doman's promotion last year is so predictable, so hypocritical and so Ute.

This has the makings of a trainwreck. Please tell me how a Norm Chow, everything is wonderful offense, can improve with this???

How can the Utes improve on a mediocre season, a lousy conference record, with a 24 yr old OC?

The ute arm chair OCs are going to have a heyday with this. Can't wait for camp to start and then more on this.

This statement was approved by 'sammyg'

• S.Hamala SANDY, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:14 p.m.

I am a Utah fan and I am not happy with this hire, but I'm sure Coach Whit knows what he's doing. I do know as soon as we start losing Coach BJ is going to get torched, Ute Fans are going to go nuts. I thought when you go to a better conference you get better coaches. I sure hope I'm wrong.

The other problem I have with this is the timing of this announcement, did the kids that signed yesterday know who the O.C. was or did the U wait until these kids signed to make sure they got who they wanted, if I am a QB I ask myself if I want to go to a PAC 12 program that has an OC that has not even called a game at any level, the OC has bee with the program since he was 18. My fear as a UTE, Chase Hansen goes on a mission now and then decides to transfer.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:01 p.m.

Good luck Brian. If anyone deserves a shot it is you.

Glad to see the hire has riled up the jealous blew who fill all their postings with witty words like "braindead" and "hypocrisy" and "delusional" then laugh at themselves. They really don't understand that no one else is laughing with them, we are laughing AT them.

Very nice, and CLASSY!!

What a great time to be a UTE!!

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Kyle was so impressed with what Colorado did to him last season, that's he's building an offense to emulate that 10-loss ineptitude.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:34 p.m.

Getting dizzy from all of the spin.

Why would a supposed major league team pull such a bush league stunt???

Hiring a kid younger than some of their players to be their OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR smacks of desperation.

No wonder Kyle kept this under wraps until after signing day.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:22 p.m.

Howard S.

Brian Johnson coached quarterbacks are winless against 10-loss teams.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Wow. Someone with even LESS experience than Brandon Doman. Good luck with that...

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 6:20 p.m.

bwahahaha

After all the talk about having enough money to hire any coach they wanted, the best Utah can do is a 24-year old kid with only two years of coaching and zero OC experience.

An injury prone starting QB backed up by a DII transfer with a 24-year old calling plays - and U really expect to compete in the PAC 12?

Good luck with that.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Just Gordon you nailed that one. Poor Ducky, his whole life is spent obsessing about how Utah has beat up on his team over and over again the last ten years and is how Utah is now a member of major BCS league while his team is the newest common law member of the WAC.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:25 p.m.

Those who are predicting pathetic losses in Colorado in November will most probably have to be kicked awake more than several times if they spend any time at the LES in late October and November watching mediocre whip up on pathetic with all the exposure necessary to seal another blah recruiting class where the number of returning missionaries is the big news.

This will be version 2.0 of Fantasy meeting Reality and still with no AQ conference insight.

• jw_bluecoug SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:21 p.m.

wow.. no experience at all!

i dont know kyle, really risky.

best of luck to johnson coming from a Y fan!

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:18 p.m.

I can only smile at the skeptical who think that no one really wanted the job at Utah and that Coach Whitt was "stuck" giving it to BJ! How absurdly ridiculous their suppositions are only to then come to a conclusion that is beyond ludicrous.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 5:00 p.m.

Much harassment went to BYU's Bronco Mendenhall for hiring Brandon Doman as OC from U fans and I took it in stride and now the shoe is on the other foot not even a year later. No doubt Brandon had some issues and struggled some but seemed to be just fine in his first year. Quite honestly I think the issues were more with Jake Heaps than Doman.

As a BYU fan I see this as a bold move for Kyle Whittingham, much bolder in fact than Brandon Doman but I have also seen Utah excel under KW. I like this bold bold move and I truly hope it works out as I really like Brian Johnson too.

I'm a passionate BYU fan and have been embarrassed by some of my comments and wish I could take them back but I can't. I hate, hate , hate to loose to Utah and in a crazy way I'm glad Utah is in the Pac12 and BYU is Independent. I see it settling me down and the enmity is beginning to fade.

Good Luck Mr. Johnson!

• matthews23 Richmond, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Since he has done such an excellent job with Wynn and Hays this was clearly the best choice. But seriously, I'm assuming he will work out his own system very much the way he played-nothing fancy, just make the right reads, short passes, somewhat mobile if pocket moves and get first downs. In that case it might be time to focus on a new QB (Hanson) to get started with the new system. Wynn is not good and another season of him saying he is injury free when he has good games and is all of the sudden having shoulder problems after bad ones is not what we need.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 4:29 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Brian Johnson coached quarterbacks are undefeated against your Cougars.

Love that?

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Feb. 2, 2012 4:18 p.m.

"How can you coach the QBs and be in the booth?"

In answer to the above question, the best time to coach and train a quarterback is before the game starts and during practices. If there is something vital that BJ needs to tell Utah's QB during a game, he can get it done.

The idea that Brian needs to be on the field holding his QB's hand is wrong. In my opinion, it's far more important for BJ to be in the Skybox, during a game, watching the opponents moves so he can call the plays.

• Prep Fanatic Los Angeles, CA
    Feb. 2, 2012 4:16 p.m.

What's up with all of the Utah fans bashing the BYU fans about a whooping next fall? Who cares if Utah beats BYU next fall. What Utah should be worrying about is how they're going to fare in the PAC-12 south next year? There are alot of great offensive minded coaches in the PAC-12, and Brian Johnson isn't one of them. Not saying he couldn't be, but Utah really needed to go out and hire an experienced offensive coordinator to lead the offense this year. The defense can only carry the team so far, as seen by this years results. The offense must find production, and I don't see alot of changes from this year to next. Wynn will be out again with a shoulder injury, because he's just not that tough, and then what? At least this past year, you have an experienced OC that knew how to readjust an offense on the fly. Norm was great at doing that. BJ lacks the experience to get it done. The Utes won't score enough points to beat USC, and they will struggle to score the necessary points to beat Arizona. They're both in the PAC-12 south. Looks like another Sun Bowl for the Utes. They would've been better off with Gary Crowton, and I don't even like the guy. Go Trojans. PAC-12 champions next year, and maybe 'National' champions.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:59 p.m.

I am surprised that someone as young and inexperienced as Brian Johnson will be given the OC job.

Don't get me wrong - I loved him as a player, and I know that he is very intelligent and mature. But he is still 24.

The 2012 team has a lot of quality on its roster. I hope BJ can grow quickly into a very challenging position in a very competitive conference.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:36 p.m.

I like it. Johnson is a special kind of person. Remember that when he was 18, a sophomore QB, he was in the top 5 in the nation in total offense per game, and was named MWC offensive player of the year in 2008. After that, he was named QB coach of a nationally ranked FBS team at the age of 22. This kid is poised for a meteoric rise through the ranks. The nice thing is that he can become a tenured coach for the Utes and stick around as OC for a while, because the odds of a team hiring him as a head coach at such a young age are slim to none. I like it a lot!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:17 p.m.

Oh this is simply awesome stuff. I couldn't have scripted anything better. Love the braindead hire. Love the hypocritical utah "fan" comments. Love the obvious undercurrent of utter terror from those hypocritical utah "fans". Love it, love it, love it!

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 3:04 p.m.

jarka-rus,

And we will see how quiet you Cougies are when you get another whoopin at RES (against your RIVAL) for the last time in history.

Goes both ways, dude. Smack talk all you want.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:49 p.m.

motorbike

And we'll see how quiet you utes are when he leads another pathetic loss in Boulder next season.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:31 p.m.

I don't see Coach Whitt as the type of person who would "gamble" on BJ.

Our Head Coach has the time in the saddle to know his troops & how to manage them.

IF Coach Whitt was a Riverboat Gambler --- I'd say he's All In.

He knows the situation, knows his cards, and certainly doesn't have the profile to be a kamikaze kinda guy.

That said, I'm All In with Coach Whitt & Coach Johnson. Gutsy Big Time Move you have to admire, this is going to be one heckuva big Utah year!!

Is it September yet?????? :)

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:16 p.m.

One thing I love about this hire is it gives us Utah fans just one more thing to look back and laugh about.
    We'll see how many of these Cougar fans - the regulars in this thread - show up on the articles after Johnson guides the next beat down this Sept 15th.
    I suspect coug fans will be eerily quiet for about a week following the game just as it was last season.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:14 p.m.

It appears that Kyle has his loyal staff in place. I love that the program is filled with Utah legends. It is good for the program. Kyle is young enough that he'll be with Utah for a long time. Having a young staff that can be groomed is essential for future growth. Utah's next head coach is probably on the staff right now.

I am surprised by the hiring of BJ at such a young age but I've seen Brian pull out some masterful performance in the clutch against TCU, Alabama, BYU, Oregon State, etc. Under pressure, Brian is money. No panic in this guy. Brian was calling most of the plays on the last minute drives and although he wasn't the most talented qb ever at Utah, he was probably the smartest. Brian is also out of Texas and will be able to recruit from his heartland. Brian is part of our community and deserves the shot.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Two things stand out about Brian Johnson: his intelligence and work ethic. I will never forget the last two games of the 2008 season, and the way Brian Johnson ran the offense. He picked BYU's defense apart, and it was because he had done his homework and knew BYU's weaknesses. When it came to the Sugar Bowl, he called the plays from the field, running a no-huddle offense that Alabama had no answer for. In my opinion,he is one of the smartest quarterbacks ever to play in Utah, on any team. He will bring those same strengths to his new position as OC. We wish him the best!!!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 2, 2012 2:01 p.m.

Shah in as DB coach?

I like it!

GO UTES!!!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:54 p.m.

"After spending the past month conducting a national search for an offensive coordinator, it became very apparent that we had the best candidate for the job right here on our own staff,"

Hey Naval Vet? You buying this stuff your HC is preaching to his disciples? The entire nation didn't have anyone that could lead his team over a 24 yr. old with absolutely no experience?

Let's poll every college football coaching staff and see how many have an OC in their early 20's with zero experience.

• So Utah Fan St George, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Not terribly excited about the hire. There has to be an OC out there that is more qualified. This could be the beginning of the end.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Is it just me, or is this the wierdest reshuffling of coaching assignments ever seen in football? If Johnson is going to be the offensive coordinator and QB coach, is he going to be on the field like Doman was last year? Who is calling the plays? How can you coach the QBs and be in the booth? Freshman QB starting the spread next year? Roderick is now a passing coordinator? What does that mean? We have two offensive coordinators? That didn't work to well last time. Sitake is assistant head coach? Whatever. Tim Davis is still the offensive line coach but only coaches the TEs and Tackles. The new guy coaches the Centers and Guards? Is this simplifying a spread assignment system or complicating it. Hill is now the RB coach, but still special teams coach. Hill is going to be overseeing ball security? Scary. What offense is Utah running? I like Shah as the cornerbacks coach, but where is Scalley? No mention of him here.

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:25 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Great job. Because when you didn't endorse Norm Chow he put a whoopin on your Cougies 54-10.

Lesson to be learned? NEVER smack talk an OC that hasn't been tested against your team.

Nice job Duckie. High five.

• psychoghost Alpine, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:56 p.m.

I do think it was a good choice. However, a program like Utah should have been able to hire an experienced OC. There will be growing pains for Johnson just like we saw at BYU with Doman. The growing pains may be more severe with Johnson because of his lack of experience. In time, Johnson should be a very good OC but probably not the first season.

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:56 p.m.

BJ: The lesser of two evils.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:53 p.m.

I can't say I wasn't surprised by the hire but the more I think about it the more I'm fine with it. As motorbike mentioned, Kyle has added others to the staff as well and Brian has been a student of the game from some great coaches.

I think Shah will be a great addition to the coaching staff as well. He will be a great recruiter and a good role model to the player as well. He has done a lot with his education and career that is a good example to young players.

Time will only tell if this was the right choice or not, but I have confidence in Kyle - he knows a lot more than I do.

Bottom line is we have a good group of retuning players, a great defense and have just secured our best recruiting class ever up at the U. The Utes are going to be on national TV for every game and the PAC 12 money is starting to come in.

It's a great time to be a Ute and I can't wait for the season to begin.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:51 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Shouldn't you be more focused on commenting on your Cougs under 50 recruiting class than continuing to spend your waking moments obsessed with everything Utah?

I know it's hard to take for Cougar fans. Even on their own website, they are once again being outshadowed by their big brother.

Get used to it.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:06 p.m.

Johnson has a great understanding of the game and the quarterback's job in running the team. I've no doubt he will do well in the position.

Unlike other OCs of the past, I'm sure I won't be finding myself "screaming at the television" that they're calling the wrong play.

Whittingham knows what he has in BJ.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 2, 2012 12:02 p.m.

I thought this was ground hog day not April's fools day

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:30 a.m.

Honestly, the more I think about this, the WORSE I feel about it. Think about the message this sends to all of the coaches who have put in time in the program, especially A Rod. He better be outstanding, or it could ruin both of their careers.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:12 a.m.

@ Duckhunter

"I fully endorse this move. It has the "Duckhunter Seal of Approval"."

Will you continue to endorse Brian Johnson as Utah's OC after he lights up the scoreboard on your Cougies in September?

Utah is returning most of their starters from last years beatdown of the Cougies which includes a healthy Jordan Wynn (with back up QB's if needed), John White IV, and one of the best defenses in the country will all be back.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:39 a.m.

@williary

"hypocrisy, justification, rationalization, spin, desperation, excuses, deflection, etc....."

Thanks for the LOL!

• RunninUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:34 a.m.

It does seem odd to promote a 24 year old as an OC but it's too early to judge. If Utes offense is terrible next year then there will be a lot of complaints about him. I think most Ute fans wanted a big name and after the harsh judgment on Doman, I would think most ute fans are sceptical about hiring such a young guy. On the other hand, if he really as good and brilliant as Whit says then maybe the U treating him well now by giving him these opportunities will help prepare him to someday be the head coach if Whit ever decides to leave.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:33 a.m.

This is interesting.

I have to say, given the choice between Crowton and Johnson, even with Brian's inexperience, I take Brian every day of the week.

I think Brian wouldn't get the promotion had he not been the right person for the job. Thing is, Whit giveth and Whit taketh away! Look at Schram and ARod. Brian must have impressed him in a lot of different ways. Look at Hays for example. When we first saw him play, looking at Utah's schedule, there wasn't many that predicted more than 4-5 wins this season. Brian did a tremendous job with Hays!

Should be exciting seeing what comes about with this change.

Go Ute's

• williary Kearns, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:26 a.m.

LOVE these coaching moves. Makes a big push in recruiting. Youth, energy, intelligence, diversity, personality. Shah will be terrific recruiting Cali. That's the main job of position coaches. Finn also a solid Cali recruiter.

As far as BJ goes, if the smartest guy in the room just happens to be the youngest, who cares. Very forward thinking move on Whit's part. Corporations do this all the time. Youth and intelligence means new ideas, innovation, engergy. BJ is a born leader.

Great moves.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:16 a.m.

I fully endorse this move. It has the "Duckhunter Seal of Approval".

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:11 a.m.

I love it. Yeah it sounds risky on the surface, but with Whittingham spreading out the duties as much as he is, no one person is going to have too much on his plate INCLUDING Brian Johnson.
    If you're ever going to take a risk on a young guy, this is the way and the time to do it.
    Great D to back you up, a much improved QB and O-line situation, and a second stud RB to add to an already good receiving corps.
    Sept can't come fast enough.

• wyoute Worland, WY
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:10 a.m.

I like the choice. He must have awesome leadership qualities to be named at a young age

• QBU OREM, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 10:07 a.m.

Really? After conducting a nationwide search we realized we have the best candidate right here......I have a hard time believing that. The first place you look is within your own system. If you don't have a legitimate replacement, then you go look elsewhere. Sounds to me like they couldn't find anybody good that wanted to take the job, so they settled for Johnson. However, he was a smart player, he may do well...in time.