U.S. & World

Officials: Romney to get Secret Service protection

Comments

• kimnprovo Orem, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Mr. Romney has been paying for his own security detail. Based on a similar article yesterday on yahoo news, it was not his choice, but he has accepted it. I am concerned about his physical well-being when it's the gov't saying to take it vs. him asking for it. Remember that there are haters of all kind out there who will act in foolish ways. President Obama (then Senator) has the protection based on threats made on his life. I would imagine that's the reason Mr.Cain has the protection so early on in his campaign. It's really a sad commentary on our country and is not some indictment on Mr. Romney.

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Look the man was paying for his own security. However as he is on the national stage and the most talked about Republican candidate (No I can't back that statement up, it is just an observation on my part) he should get protection. Bobby Kennedy anyone?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I believe some in this forum don't remember Governor George Wallace campaigning for President. Not that I was for him, but he had a very tragic event and impacted him for the rest of his life. There are enough people that seem to be very emotional about this election. This is the right decision.

• Something to think about Ogden, UT
    Feb. 2, 2012 7:01 a.m.

I thought Romney was for less government spending, yet here he is increasing spending before he even takes office. I suppose it's like my neighbors... they can't pay their mortgage, but they have fancy new cars and a boat. We all rationalize our expenses by our own priorities.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 10:13 p.m.

'If it bothers you that Romney is getting the same protection that Obama got before his nomination you should consider writing your congressman and complain.' - Rifleman | 8:19 p.m. Feb. 1, 2012

Rifleman, if it bothered me, why would I support Romney getting protection?

'That said, Romney has won 2 out of the last 4 states for the Republican Primary.

Give him the protection.' - Pagan | 10:43 a.m. Feb. 1, 2012

I never claimed to know the guidelines for the Secret Service.

The only 'problem' I had was the sheer number of candidates.

Not the protections for Romney.

How did you get to your conclusion?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2012 8:19 p.m.

Re" Pagan | 10:43 a.m. Feb. 1, 2012
    "When someone get's the parties NOMINATION for President, I think that would be a good time to get Secret Service Protection."

Obviously the US Government doesn't share your opinion. If it bothers you that Romney is getting the same protection that Obama got before his nomination you should consider writing your congressman and complain.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Feb. 1, 2012 6:48 p.m.

@pagan,

It went over your head. ;-)

My reference to Huntsman as vice had to do with Romney. Any attempt on Romneys life because he is a Mormon, would fail, as Huntsman another Mormon would take his place. Hence, I'd hope no one would bother with the exercise.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 4:29 p.m.

I heard Romney's secret service code name is "weather vane." :)

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 4:17 p.m.

'I still think selecting Huntsman for vice would discourage any assassination attempts by crazy Evangelicals who think Mormons are Satan.' - LDSareChristians | 3:53 p.m. Feb. 1, 2012

Well...

I am glad I am NOT, one of those people. :)

However, since we have factual shots fired at the white house with Obama in office, I fail to see any new loss with Huntsman as VP for Obama.

Except, perhaps...

paritsan differences.

One can hope.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    Feb. 1, 2012 3:53 p.m.

@pagan,

Mitt meets the qualifications for protection. Obama received it at same time in his run. Cain had it back in Oct/Nov.

I still think selecting Huntsman for vice would discourage any assassination attempts by crazy Evangelicals who think Mormons are Satan. ;-)

But it wouldn't win any votes.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 10:43 a.m.

I am all about safety.

My concern, would be sheer volume.

When someone get's the parties NOMINATION for President, I think that would be a good time to get Secret Service Proctection.

That, or verifiable threats to life.

The reason I say volume, is in this Republican Primary there have been:

Bachmann
    Romney
    Gingrich
    Cain
    Santorum
    Paul
    Huntsman (I thought was the best)
    Perry, etc, etc.

There are even canidates you probably have not even HEARD of.

My example is:

Fred Karger

**'Openly gay Republican Fred Karger announces 2012 presidential run' - By Lauren Seifert - ABC News - 03/23/11

He LITERALLY has campaign posters that read:

'Fred Who?'

To provide Secret Service protection to ALL these persons, would be expensive. And only add to our national debt.

Give him the protection.

We all know Obama can use it.

**'Man pleads not guilty to trying to kill Obama' - By Eric Tucker - AP - Published by DSNews - 01/24/12

'Ortega is accused of firing shots at the White House on the night of Nov. 11.' - article

• Ronald Fox North Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 1, 2012 9:27 a.m.

It is now time to provide Secret Service protection to Mitt Romeny. We live in a world where some people or groups are always trying to make a name for themselves or their issue. I think that all major candidates need at least minimal protection. I have worked events for 5 Presidents of the United States, and in every event there is one person that you worry about. Most are harmless, but you never know.