Opinion

Robert Bennett: Romney adjusts, moves Florida polls

Comments

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Jan. 30, 2012 7:12 p.m.

Anybody else want to vomit over Newt's incessant, false accusations against Mitt Romney?

- Gingrich is an outsider? How is a repeatedly elected congressman and former Speaker of the House an "outsider"?
    - Gingrich has morals that go hand-in-hand with Mom and Pop Smith on Main Street America? Not unless Mom/Pop cheat on their spouses (plural).
    - Gingrich is for Republican values? You mean like attacking the very notion that a person is entitled to keep what they earn? (this is what he's doing in attacking Mitt's wealth, viciously saying Mitt is nothing more than a corporate raider. Ever hear of Staples? Sports Authority? Domino's Pizza? Bain Captial helped GROW jobs.
    - Gingrich is Reagan's torch-bearer? Then why did Reagan mention Gingrich only ONCE in his AUTObiography?

Fellow conservatives: we are all angry at the idiotic federal government, but just because someone is angry (like Newt is) does NOT mean that their anger is valid / rightfully directed at those that caused the problem. I can be angry and grab a microphone at a public event and rail against a rude clerk at Home Depot but are they the ones that caused the problems in our federal government? Of course not. At its essence, Newt is angry, but his wrath is directed at the wrong people. Morality and ethics ALWAYS matters because poor character always results in poor vision & direction. Because of this, the one who should be receiving Newt's anger is Newt himself. The fact Newt is berating everyone but himself is the reason so many of us conservatives are sick of him.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 12:14 p.m.

I don't suppose Tea Party darling and Rogue Leader Sarah Palin supporting Newt Gingrich had anything to do it?....

And what's with Limbaugh?
    During the Clinton era - Newt walked on water over at the EIB.

Face it --
    The GOP is about as Dysfuntional as it can get.

Lower the debt,
    No tax increases,
    Repealling Obam-ney-care [get it?, Obama/Romney],
    Another Middle Eastern War in Iran,
    Government can't create jobs/so, elect ME so I can create jobs,
    WallStreet Good / People bad,
    and now -
    building a MOON-base?

and BTW - I'd support building a MOON-base, if we sent all of our looney Politicians to go live there!

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 30, 2012 11:20 a.m.

The Rasmussen poll taken yesterday shows that Romney has 44% of the voters cheering for him. Gingrich has 28%.

The official poll, taken when votes are cast is coming up.

It looks like the people in Florida care a lot more about character than the people in South Carolina. Mr. Gingrich might think that sex outside of marriage with serial partners is accepted in America. He might think that dumping one wife after another is acceptable. The people of South Carolina seemed to agree with him. The people of Florida think differently.

We do not need another Bill Clinton (or JFK) in the White House. We need someone who can keep his most sacred commitment - his vows of fidelity in marriage.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Thanks for your optimism Senator. I respect your opinion a great deal. My opinion has been that the Republicans are tearing each other apart, both Mitt and Newt look less attractive to me right now than they did a month ago (especially Newt. I really like Newt and Mitt back in August, but lately Newt has gone off the deep end.)

But I recognize you have much more experience and wisdom than me. I feel deep comfort in you believing this process will make our candidate stronger.

• My Humble Opinion Sandy, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Joey D: I believe Mr Bennett was pretty clear with the facts. Romney was originally declared the winner of Iowa, went on to win New Hampshire, and was riding that momentum going into South Carolina. In the very next paragraph he said "Recount results in Iowa took that prize away from him." I guess you failed to read that part of the article.

• MormonConservative A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Jan. 30, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Ex-Sen.-Bennett. Remember I live here in Florida, I know the truths, do you?.

Do the math, there's over 18 million voters in Florida.

The Sunday results of 646 likely GOP voters are as follows:

Romney 36 percent
    Gingrich 31 percent
    Santorum 12 percent
    Paul 12 percent
    Other/Undecided 9 percent

A new InsiderAdvantage poll conducted Sunday night of likely Republican voters in the state of Florida shows a significant surge for Newt Gingrich.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Jan. 30, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Editor. The truth is hard to bear sometimes, isn't it.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Mr Bennett you're pretty loose with the facts, Rick Santorum was the winner of Iowa primary.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 8:29 a.m.

The subheading is incorrect or misleading. The picture is Romney talking to workers at a paint company.

The picture nor Senator Bennett mention or show Hispanics.