Sports

Brad Rock: Time for BYU to reveal its game plan to fans

Comments

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Jan. 28, 2012 11:29 p.m.

While I chuckle at the thought of BYU being in the Big 12 and being the cellar dwellers, may I remind you that since they've departed the MWC (look and see RPI and Rankings for MWC teams) and now they're getting thumped by WCC teams, is a sign of trouble times!!

Good to see this "Independent" thing working out nicely for them.........until the fans get tired of losing to weaker teams!!

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    Jan. 28, 2012 6:28 p.m.

I like to think of the whole conference realignment as a card game. I want the player I am cheering for to hold all of the best cards and be confident in the hand that they have. I don't want them to give away that they are really not happy with the cards they have, it makes it less likely that they will win all that they might have.
    Conference alignment is the same, pretend your happy even if you would be happier being somewhere else. Don't let them know you would do anything to be part of the club, because they will certainly use that against you, whether it is gradual profit sharing or limited whatevers. Make the grab for the best while you are in negotiation, you will not get another chance to negotiate and your starting point will be what it is. Might be that is why BSU continues to jump between conferences, buyers remorse, it looked good when I bought into it, but now I see what someone else is getting and I am not happy with what I got.
    Negotiations work out best if nobody knows that your are anxious and willing to do anything to be part of the club. True for the working man, true for the University in conference realignment.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Jan. 28, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Since several posters refer to the PAC 12 as the PAC 10.2 does this mean the Big 12 would be called the Big 10.1.1?

I hope this conference opportunity works out for BYU.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 28, 2012 12:44 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug: You said it about as well as anyone! The WCC was set up as an interim deal, and anyone who wants BYU to stay there is just selling that entire athletic department down the river. BYU belongs in a league like the Big 12 and its actually been refreshing to see Ute fans get on this board and now agree with such a move. I think a number of people need to realize that BYU isn't going to be able to carry its weight like Notre Dame has over the years, and their independent success is more of an accident than anything in the histoical context of the college sports landscape in the U.S. If a Big 12 offer reaches fruition (which given the cicumstances unfolding could happen...no denials) BYU would be foolish to say no and would be sending the wrong signal to other institutions that it is neither serious about its athletic fortunes or becoming more of a serious academic research as well as teaching university. If BYU wants to keep the faculty they've recruited as well as the caliber of studentbody that has evolved, they better go this direction.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 28, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Cougar fan better hope that Holmoe doesn't run the football bus into the ditch like he did at Cal.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Jan. 28, 2012 5:09 a.m.

It would be interesting to see how many of you "OK with independence" people are from the Wasatch Front. If the goal is "Exposure", than you would advance the cause MUCH better by joining the Big 12 or any conference with major markets. You grow the program by playing regularly where your recruits live. I recall going to an ASU game where we hadn't played there in 12 years. Yet, we were recruiting there. We got Max Hall, John Beck and a bunch of other great kids when we started doing home and home with ASU. The same could happen in Texas. Keep our nonconference games with PAC 12 schools where our fan and recruiting base are plus one East-of-the-Mississippi team..

I love the idea of the Big 12. But let's do it for basketball too. Awesome conference. I'm one who has been really puzzled by our move out of the MWC and into independence - as an end state. You people who want to stay there really need to think this through...

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Jan. 27, 2012 9:35 p.m.

BYU can always get creative. Can't see them giving in to not playing on Sundays. Have a hard time seeing people line up to pay for tickets etc at the MC. Anyway, if they are desperate to join the Big12, just don't charge admission for home games and call them firesides!

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 8:38 p.m.

I'm with So. Cal Reader, deseret pete, Whoa Nellie, dumprake, Real Bass, alternate, 3grandslams, wer, gary2635, md, gnrl39, worf, ksmith, Bottom Line, Cougarista.

Brad Rock, I've enjoyed your well-written columns for years, but this one is just shoddy. What is the name of the intern who wrote it for you? I must say, the spelling was excellent. It's just the content that is lacking.

And Brad Rock, two days ago you wrote "[Joe Paterno] will go down as a man who knew of allegations of child sexual abuse by an assistant coach, yet looked away."
    --->Rubbish. He didn't look away. He notified university administration and ensured the head of university police was aware of everything he knew. You call that looking away?

Somebody is writing Brad's columns for him. They aren't very good.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 7:13 p.m.

Does anyone really care what happens to BYU? Let them go and be a bottom feeder in the Big 12 just as they're a bottom feeder in the WCC.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Jan. 27, 2012 4:15 p.m.

Unless purposely manipulated to be so, there is no reason BYU's scheduling and competitive status shouldn't be able to advance according to their performance, like anyone else. (Nice theory, eh?). The great injustice of the BCS is that it is a high powered clique, and has only marginal relationship to quality athletics. It's like a big wet blanket thrown over the whole of college football. It needs to be dismantled and dissolved, in order to allow all college teams to achieve maximum recognition of their achievements and be able to win the big prizes if they can, by PERFORMANCE, not affiliation.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 2:57 p.m.

No, BYU doesn't need to prematurely reveal anything to the press. That makes you part of the decision process and you, by definition, have different responsibilities. When they have weighed exposure, income, academic integrity and other factors typified by Sunday-play, they will make a decision. If BYU wants your advice they know where to find you. Chill.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 2:17 p.m.

Dear Brad,
    I have to say this is just flat out poor journalism. If you need BYU to hand over every detail of a 5 year plan it just will not happen. The situations are too fluid to have anything concrete. It should be obvious though that the general direction is as follows:
    1 - Keep a pulse on conference realignment
    2 - Entertain serious offers that will allow the school to enhance atheletic exposure
    3 - Continue to add success to the status quo (independence)
    4 - By accomplishing #3 you will be better positioned for #1 and #2.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Jan. 27, 2012 2:12 p.m.

CougFaninTX:

"BYU has not announced their final four football games for 2012. Something is brewing."

Nothing is brewing. The cougars' final four football games HAVE been announced. The only thing that HADN'T been announced are the dates of those games. The cougars will play Georgia Tech, Idaho, New Mexico State, San Jose State.

You just need to accept that you're NOT going to the Big XII. You're a WAC team now. Time for you to just embrace it.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 27, 2012 12:35 p.m.

Same old story. It is a good point though-it would be nice to know the plan. November football suck as does the WCC BB schedule except when they play Gonzaga, St Mary's, and now LMU. I miss MWC basketball, but that will change with SDSU leaving and going to the Big East for football and Big West for all other sports. SDSU slapping their BB team like that makes BYU's move look tame. NIce way to treat the No. 13 ranking BB team, but hey SDSU will get 4 Big East BB games per year thrown in. woo hoo

I don't really care. I like watching all sorts of sports on BYU TV when I can.

• See It SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 12:34 p.m.

BYU will stay independent and here's why. They built $100 Million dollar media center from donations. A current check of how many households watch BYUTv estimates 3,300 households a month. There just aren't too many people that want to watch "American Ride" or "Dining with the Dean." Without BYU Sports, the channel is a bust. That's why BYU wants to do "their thing." Why they don't tell us that and be done with it is beyond me. Maybe they are afraid to lose their fan base. Unfortunately, I believe a lot of fans have already bailed being frustrated with how the whole thing has been handled.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 12:22 p.m.

Riverton Cougar,

The UTES might as well be in a BCS conference waiting for a full share, getting the better recruits, learing how to play tough competition each week, and what to expect in a major conference, then to make outrageous demands, play an indy schedule, and have the possiblity of never joining a BCS conference. So by the time our 3 year waiting period for a full share is up, the Y still may not be in a big time conference, while the UTES have already reaped the benefits of recruits, exposure, more money (even though it's a partial share) etc. Other than the whole Sunday play thing, every Y fan would've loved to see the Y make concessions to join a BCS league and have played a BCS schedule to the schedule they played last year.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 12:13 p.m.

Observation-ist,

I dont think that BYU would ever change their stance on Sunday play, nor would I want them to, even as a UTE fan. I do believe that Y fans should know what the stance of the school, Holmoe, and the churches leaders on what they really want to do in the end as far as football and conference realignment is. I would also want my son or daughter to grow up grounded and wise, but never would I put my faith before my family, and I dont think that anyone else should either. Even as an LDS member, my family comes first, and Bronco should know that. During football season, family should always come first, but football should be second. Outside of football season, the list is exactly right.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 11:27 a.m.

patriot says "BYU can't stay relevant in college football as an independent because their recruiting is going to die."
    How would joining the Big 12 improve BYU recruiting? As an Independent, WAC, MWC, or BCS conference member, BYU recruiting will always be the same. They'll recruit Mormon kids that want to go on a mission, mostly out of the state of Utah.

There is a big recruiting battle going on between new-member TCU and old-member Texas. You think if BYU joined the league, that would affect the recruiting battle? There are not a bunch of non-Mormon kids in Texas chomping at the bit to go to BYU.

Wasn't independence supposed to be a boon to BYU recruiting? "We play anyone, anywhere, always on ESPN". Joining a league would cause BYU to lose its national appeal. A kid from Georgia isn't going to go to school in Provo so that he can play football in the Midwest.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 11:13 a.m.

A testimonial of a Ute fan:

I have had season football tickets for decades. And this past season has been the most enjoyable ever! The thrill of hosting PAC-12 teams at RES. Following every conference team, anticipating how each game would affect my team. Suspense to the last minute of the last game. Win or lose I Loved it!
    Now at recruitment I follow every announcement! Over 300 recruits indicating Utah as a school of interest. Arguably, the best class ever with potentially 5-6 more highly regarded recruits possible. Intence, Insane!

Now I look forward to all the other sports. Utahn's wll have the opportunity to see world class and future professional athletes like never before. Again, winning will be secondary in my perspective.

Exposure? PAC-12, 'nuff said; however, next year with the PAC-12 network means we have seen nothing yet!

Money? My estimate we received some three times greater than ever before and that was with 0% basic TV dollars this year.

I say this only to support my advice regarding conference affiliation. Just do it! Now! If necessary, on knees, grovel, whatever - just do it!

Good luck!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Jan. 27, 2012 11:07 a.m.

Well, this has been fun.

Particularly the analogies to playing poker. BYU fans talking poker strategy always makes me chuckle.....

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Duckhunter,

I think they will stay independent. However, not by choice.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 10:32 a.m.

I prefer independence. I hope they stay independent.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 10:32 a.m.

@DEW Cougars

No one "knows what you mean" as that didn't make a lick of sense. Try again.

• ksmith Sacramento, CA
    Jan. 27, 2012 10:24 a.m.

Rock it sounds like you are sad because you are not an insider with the information that you would like to have on the issue. Too bad. YTou will have to wait forthe announcement if or when it comes.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 10:23 a.m.

Let's just state the obvious - EVERYONE in the state of Utah would love to see BYU join the BIG 12. Not only Y fans but U fans too. The BYU Utah game would have meaning again if the Y joined the Big 12 ... BIG 12 vs Pac 12 ... pretty cool stuff. I really can't understand why BYU doesn't put on a full court press and pitch themselves to the Big 12? Staying independent is going to be a bust and everyone knows it. BYU can't stay relevant in college football as an independent because their recruiting is going to die ... sooner than later.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 10:13 a.m.

I can still see Big East keeping their door open for BYU. But, BYU wants Big 12 (I know our fans want that but byu administration?). Big 12 is talking again and I have a feeling they are toying around on BYU. Why, they don't want BYU to be part of bcs league team because of no Sunday Rules, BYUtv and ESPN contract. They just don't want us. That is my theory. Lastly, BIG Least is a Big Trap. November would be bonus to have those cupcakes toward the end for no error becasue those big suposely big boys would lose to some cupcakes at early season (like Mich lost to aplanchi state (sp?), you know what I mean).

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 9:46 a.m.

"It's hard to reveal one's game plan, when one doesn't have a game plan."

Vince Lombardi

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 27, 2012 9:36 a.m.

"They're unhappy with the November schedule?"

Do we need a sports editor telling us how to feel?

This reminds me of political elections and the shaping of opinions.

Sorry, but happy with how things turned out, and being able to see so many games.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 9:13 a.m.

How is this any different than the last time around?

You remember last time... BYU rumored to be an expansion target, then Tom Holmoe stating that, in fact, they only got an inquiry from the Big 12. They never got to the level of talking about Sunday play or television rights and (most importantly) never had an invitation.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 7:07 a.m.

All this jittery fan base talk is simply the media stirring the pot. True BYU needs to hold there playing cards closer to the vest and keep tight lipped about any and all plans they have for the athletic department.

Clumsy handling of the press by Tom is what keeps feeding the press hype machine. On the other hand, the media is like an ignored puppy that begins to destroy things if not played with on a regular basis.

• baddog Cedar Rapids, IA
    Jan. 27, 2012 6:56 a.m.

When selling your house, you offer it on the market. Then you see what kind of offers you receive. You take the one best for you.

BYU has a great product to offer. They're evaluating the offers. Why should we be anything less than patient? It isn't as if we fans all can't sleep at night wondering where BYU ends up next season.

Maybe the Rock has insomnia wondering where BYU will be. We're taught we must have patience and be long suffering. Most of us aren't suffering much. And I can use a few more lessons in patience.

• svutility Des Moines, IA
    Jan. 27, 2012 6:49 a.m.

Fans don't deserve to know all the inner workings of an athletic department. Fans are supposed to be supportive and cheer when their team makes an announcement, but announcing things and tipping your hand takes you out of a position of power from a negotiation standpoint. We need to let Director Holmoe do his job and stop pestering him for more info. In the mean time, I'm as pumped as can be to actually be able to watch every game now. I'll be happy being a BYU fan who will follow the team faithfully no matter what direction it takes.

• ItrustNo1 La Grange, TN
    Jan. 27, 2012 4:19 a.m.

BYU belongs in the BIG 12. If BYU stays pat
    as an independent its recruiting will suffer, its storied reputation will evaporate and its fan base will start to lose interest. BYU needs to step up to the plate and accept the challenge of competing with the Best of the Best.

• kanaka818 West Hills, CA
    Jan. 27, 2012 1:54 a.m.

Relax Brad. I'm relaxed. Only the sports writers are tense.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 27, 2012 12:03 a.m.

This is not a message to stir the pot, but there is a huge difference in what the majority of most Athletic Directors job duties are compared to what BYU has their Athletic Director do. Holmoe is just a spokesperson. He does not make major decisions. The church leadership makes decisions with Holmoe's input obviously, but he is not the one controlling this. At most Universities, the Athletic Director is a position of power and decision making. Unless church leadership approves submitted idea's, Holmoe has no power whatsoever in taking charge or directing the athletic department. I have to agree with Rock in that it appears there is not a path or direction that has been clearly identified for the athletic programs that has been made public.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:16 p.m.

Nothing is brewing...

It was the first meeting of the expansion committee since the Big 12 decision to invite West Virginia. In an interview with Lubbock radio station Double-T 104.3 FM before the meeting, Neinas indicated that he didn't see further expansion at this point.

"I don't anticipate there's going to be a movement off 10," Neinas said. "It could happen down the road, but we definitely won't be beyond 10 for 2012-2013 and there is strong feeling within the membership that 10 provides the opportunity for round-robin in football and you play everyone in basketball twice ...

"That seems to be appealing to the conference members. To go beyond that will take a lot of research and hard thinking."

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:05 p.m.

The two Major Hangups...Sunday play and BYU-tv.

If BYU is not allowed to keep all 3rd-Tier-Rights, to all games and all sports, even after ESPN and Fox make their choices, then it won't ever happen, they will never give that up.

The idea of BYU relinquishing all rights to all sports is not going to happen.
    Been there and done that, thank you. If BYU games are not picked up and the Conference still does not allow live broadcasts on BYU-tv, then that is a deal breaker.

The same day replay is not a deal breaker.
    The Sunday play, is indeed.

They're not going to put their 100 million dollar broadcast facility into mothballs.. They need programming just like any other network.

If the tattered Big East wouldn't make those concessions, then neither will the Big-12.

Nope, it's Independence or Bust, for BYU.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:56 p.m.

@ Dog Fur.... I respectfully disagree with just about everything you said except tha I too like BYU TV....

Time is of the essense when it comes to getting into a conference (at least a good one).... The Big 12 will fill its desired number whether we choose to be part of that or not... It's clear that the PAC 10.2 doesn't want us and probably never will, and that part is okay with me because I am not thrilled where that Conference is going anyway.... That leaves the Big 10, the ACC, the SEC, and the Big East.... The first three are not geographically friendly and they would probably not take a Mid-Major straight into their conferences anyway. They would take from other BCS Conferences. And, the Big East will be the sickest pup in the littler meaning that their schools will continuously look for an upgrade and Schools will go in and out like a revolving door....Also, as confeences fill up, it will become near impossible for Indys (like us) to fill our schedule with quality competition.

And, No I don't believe Holmoe or Samuelson have a clue as to what they are doing.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:54 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

**************

Yeah... what's brewing is BYU waiting for just the right time to announce 2 home and 2 road games against the dregs of the WAC.

This is not an announcement that BYU is eager to make.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:26 p.m.

The chronicle of narnia is the source that BYU is being considered for the Big 12?

Shocked that BYU's partner, The Worldwide Leader In Sports (aka ESPN), didn't break the story.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:03 p.m.

• gnrl39 South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:57 p.m.

Brad, you just can't stand the fact that BYU doesn't really care what you think about their business. I don't see BYU fans caring all that much where BYU ends up. Get a grip brother and find something else to worry about.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:51 p.m.

If there is one conference BYU belongs in, it's the Big XII. BYU has winning records against several school in Texas, including Texas and other schools in that conference. Remember how they beat Oklahoma recently? They've also played good games vs. Texas and Kansas State in the past.

I for one would hate to belong to the Texas Longhorn conference, but I fully trust the Apostles and athletic people to make the right decision.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:49 p.m.

I think Rock hit the nail on the head with this fan. He expressed my sentiments, exactly. I personally would like BYU to join the Big 12, even if it meant giving up some TV rights. For basketball it would be AWESOME. For football contending for a conference title is motivation even after 1 loss. Same goes for other sports (like T and F in which my son participates) who are now independent and wander from event to event looking for an identity.

But more importantly, as a fan and alum and father of a student athlete, I really want to know what BYU's intentions are:
    Do we want exposure by joining a big-time conference with a shot at a BCS bowl or title? Or are we content with exposure through BYUtv as a second tier program with a mediocre schedule year after year?

At the same time, I realize independence has its advantages, but I really wish BYU would show some transparency and let us fans ( and the rest of the country) if they are serious about a BCS conference or not?

• Ares Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:47 p.m.

Here we go again... enough with the rumors Mr. Rock. Face it, The Big 12 doesn't want BYU right now!! Get over it Cougar Fans. You have your precious ESPN deal to play late night games and workday 12 noon bowl games.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:29 p.m.

Oh the pettiness and wrongful thoughts that get plastered to these discussion boards. I'm sure that if Virginia had even a remote hint of professional teams in the NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL that they would gladly schedule their games at the applicable venue as often as BYU does. You can't compare apples to oranges when the apples have what the oranges don't have. You also can't tell me that in said situation that VA Tech or anyone else for that matter outside the professional sport landscape wouldn't do exactly what BYU does. I'm also pretty sure that there is no complaining by the teams that get to play in a state of the art facility like ESA as opposed to their rinkydink gym. Plus, prior to this season the Marriott Center has not been very visitor friendly in only 3 teams in over 50 have even walked away from Provo's 22,000 seat arena with a victory. Yet, how many teams have walked out of the DC or as it is now blahly called ESA as victors when playing BYU? Come on sports fans... Get your head in the game and listen to the voice of common sense!

• md Cache, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:26 p.m.

Brad,
    Maybe they want to be wise and keep their options open while deciding what is best for the University.
    If you are playing poker, do you tell everyone your intentions with your hand, or do you work for the best deal you can get?
    I am glad you aren't the one negotiating.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Mike

• gary2635 Placentia, CA
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:12 p.m.

I get tired of sportswriters saying what I feel as a fan. What he should say is that it is how HE feels. BYU has been perfectly clear in their intentions. They will join a BCS league that will give them the flexibility in their broadcasts they desire. Good for them. You don't qualify to speak for the fans, only for yourself.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:33 p.m.

Yet another shooting at windmills story.

An article with real meaning would call to light the continuing scheduling woes of the basketball team. It was great to beat Virginia Tech on their home court. Guess where the two teams will meet again? A true home and home at the Marriott Center? Nope, try again: in SLC at Energy Solutions.

Frankly, if teams aren't willing to play BYU in true home and home, we shouldn't be signing contracts with them! To keep going down this misguided path will only get BYU deeper into the woods where they don't want to go. For this to happen once or maybe twice in five years is almost OK, but it's becoming a pattern.

Can you imagine Virginia Tech telling Duke or Carolina: sorry, folks, we'll play in Greensboro or Roanoke, but not on your home floor?

Yeah, yeah, we can just hear the admin excuses now: well, they won't play us at our place because it's so tough in their conference they don't want to add another tough game. It's that school's loss, and their bad decision shouldn't be reinforced by the admin compounding it with a worse decision.

Play home and home, and not their home and our neutral.

How long are season ticket holders who don't live next to Energy Solutions going to encourage this?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:30 p.m.

Rock in the article you sited is the perfect example of how the conferences don't know what's going on...

"Further Big 12 expansion is âvery possible,â two high-ranking sources told The Chronicle." This is how the article starts out, then this quote, same article, from the BIG 12 commish,

"Weâre definitely committed to 10 in the foreseeable future,â he said. âHow that plays out, weâll have to wait and see.â

OK, make a decision, stop saying no to TCU, then after they make a move, inviting them back. Stop saying "expansion" then saying "We're committed to 10".

I think Rock is just trying to stir the pot and make BYU look like the culprit, when everyone really knows, what BYU has done with independence has turned out better than imagined and gave them very strong bargaining power, even after a couple villians from the WAC tried to undermine the Cougs. Thanks again Utah State for exposing those teams.

Rock your barking up the wrong tree.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Be very careful of Texas.

When BYU serves to be a part of the Texas Football schedule, they are treated as equals.

What treatment, as a conference member, might BYU receive from Texas?

Why did Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, as well as Texas A&M choose to leave the BIG 12, with penalty ( up to 8 to 12 million), if the BIG 12 was such a wonderful conference?

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:21 p.m.

BYU is doing just fine. Maybe Rock should be asking the conference's to declare their intentions! Are they going to expand or not, are they happpy with 10 or not? You get the idea.

Rock's trying to paint BYU as wishy washy, but the truth is conference realignment is as precarious as jinga blocks resting on only 1 or 2 solid pieces.

BYU fans completely see that and are thrilled that BYU is rocking on their heels enjoying unprecenteted national exposure!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:54 p.m.

Mr Rock, I think the issue is very clear. If the Big 12 wants BYU they will need to accept no sunday play and allow BYU to have some kind of leeway agreeable to both parties on home game broadcast rights and rebroadcast rights. What part of that are you confused with?

BYUTV is a huge investment and a exciting media concept for the LDS church and BYU. It could also be a great meadia tool for the Big 12.

I think the ball is in the Big 12's court.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:47 p.m.

@Louisiana Cougar: You're VERY correct that the WCC lacks the ability to propel BYU into the NCAA tourney as an "at-large" entrant as the MWC evolved into. At best in any given year the WCC is a 2-bid league, even though the Pac-12 teams at this point in history are less competative. They will always propel more teams into the tourney since they are the power league and control more votes on the selection committee not to mention TV money.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:46 p.m.

I did not use to believe that our no Sunday play rule was a major stumbling block. But if Louisville is considered a stronger candidate than BYU, then it must be a serious problem. BYU's overall athletic program is now and historically stronger. It's fan base is larger and it brings more money to the table. And if BYU is holding out for more BYUtv exposure, they are not thinking well. The key to BYUtv's longterm success is getting non-mormon viewers. The best way to accomplish that is for fans of Big 12 to see where BYUtv is on the dial. Showing games on tape delay will accomplish that

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Oklahoma State is one school that would like to go back to 12, and they have in-state Oklahoma's interests politically, and thus OU also wishes to return to 12 sooner than later. Kansas State also wants to go to 12, but Texas with AD DeLoss Dodds and head football coach Mack Brown like the 9 game round-robin format since for Texas (& perhaps Oklahoma) they could get into the big BCS event by merely running the table. Any of the other 8 schools will not be in such a position. That's why the Chronicle of Higher Education article indicated that BYU could more likely help the league immediately as an 11th school since if West Virginia can't bail on the Big East for another year, BYU could buy out their WAC cupcakes fairly inexpensively and help the league fulfill TV obligations for 2012. Louisville will have the same legal issues West Virginia has had coming from the Big East, even though Senator Mith McConnell (R-KY) has lobbied former senate colleague and OU president David Boren quite heavily. If pushed to take BYU, they'll also take Louisville is the scenario.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:34 p.m.

I would love to be in the Big 12, but Independence is much better than the mountain worst. I still however would much rather be the third or fourth best team some years, with a Championship every now and then in the Big 12 then be 5-0 against the WAC every year.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:30 p.m.

The stability with the Big 12 now is in Oklahoma's court. The SEC is VERY interested in going to 16 and an Oklahoma/Oklahoma State combination is something they want. Oklahoma has resisted overtures from the SEC since like Utah they aspire AAU affiliation, and the SEC hasn't been exactly an academically stalwart league with only Vanderbilt and Florida as AAU members. But with the additions of AAU members Texas A&M and Missouri, the case for jumping to the SEC is now stronger and if Texas pushes them too much....it could happen.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:12 p.m.

@NevadaCoug: ESPN/ABC is renegotiating 1st tier media rights with the Big 12 right now (in advance of their 2016 expiration..which along with the West Virginia situation has precipitated this latest league alignment scenario). The Big East deal would have been with the same Comcast Cable Cartel that ruined the MWC with an abysmal failure of a league network.

• Brad E. HERRIMAN, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:02 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I can honestly say that BYU football is just a small priority compared to what's more important at BYU- marriage, and education. For the first time in years, I can honestly say that our bretheren at BYU are taking our football program in the right direction. We get 8 wins or more a year, and our student athlets know that football isn't as much a priority as marriage and spiritual progression. I trust Bronco. I trust Homoe. I suggest you do the same.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:52 p.m.

"Here's a significant quote from an ESPN article about BYU declining the opportunity to join the Big East: "The deal-breaker was television rights.....BYU wanted to retain the rights to its home football games and the league could not agree to that. No other school in a major conference has such a deal."

I understand that BYU wants to maximize its "exposure" on BYU-TV for the convenience of its fans, but if they pass up membership in a quality conference for that, then they may become the perennial "big fish in the small pond.""

And Holmoe refuted that. He stated that if BYU was being asked to join RIGHT NOW, then they would have to retain those rights (due to current contracts they have with ESPN. This was unspoken, but it's pretty obvious it is the reason.) However, if allowed time to negotiate a release from those contracts, they would have been more willing to join.

All it takes is paying attention and a brain to compute what is said.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:45 p.m.

@ Real Bass

I have no problem with BSU choosing to move on, but check the timeline. Utah had not been invited to join the PAC 12 at the time Boise agreed to join the MWC. Any school in the MWC, WAC etc would have jumped at the PAC 12 offer. Don't blame the Utes for the demise of the MWC. Utah, BYU and TCU carried the conference for years inspite of total incompetence from the commissioner. Programs as good as these could no longer abide the dreadful TV and bowl contracts. All three schools made prudent business decisions.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:39 p.m.

My biggest concern about BYU's affiliation is its basketball conference. Without question, BYU would have been the fourth best MWC team this year. Going to the WCC is definitely a step down.

BYU has no shot at "big boy" football competitiveness. It just cannot recruit enough top players to go up against the Georgias, LSUs, Alabamas, and Oklahomas year-in and year-out and be successful. Very few schools have that capability, and trying to keep up with those schools is plainly silly.

Again, I care about BYU hoops. I don't give a rat's petoot about BYU and college football -- except when BYU plays Utah.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:35 p.m.

Let me first say that I have great respect for the BYU athletic programs. They are certainly deserving of an invitation to one of the BCS conferences.

BYU, and its fans, need to get over any paranoia about another bad TV deal. The MWC TV deal has to be the worst one in the nation. There is no way a BCS conference would ever sign on to anything resembling it.

BYU, you probably can't have your cake and eat it too. Which do you want - maximal exposure on a third-rate network, or membership in a conference that is worthy of your program?

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:22 p.m.

You miss the mark on Boise State. They joined the MWC based upon false representations by Utah, BYU, and TCU who were all on their way out of the conference. The present conference is not what it was represented to be and they have every right to leave just like the other three.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Those real outer fringe teams who think that by joining conferences in which they are not only geographically compatible with but will also prove to be competively non compatible will not survive Transcontinental College football Utah Texas AM and Missouri are at least geographically compatible. But is Boise State compatible to the Big East in either of those two parameters???

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Wow, very impressed with the rational posts thus far on this thread.

If BYU decides to stay Indy, we will be fine. If BYU joins the Big 12, we will be fine. I'm okay with sitting back and letting it play out.

I will say that being one that lives outside of Utah, I have loved that I can see every football game, basketball game, volleyball match, etc.

I am confident that BYU is keeping its international fan base in mind when making these decisions and won't sacrifice important things to feel "included".

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 5:46 p.m.

For starters it was FOX as a Big 12 media partner that shot down the idea of BYU going to the Big 12 last fall, and it was over the BYU policy of "no Sunday play." They resented the inability to exercises any options under a $1.2 billion 2nd tier rights media deal not being able to move a championship finale (like mens/womens basketball) to a Sunday.

While the West Virginia situation could kick open the door for BYU and an real as opposed to application invitation to join the league could be extended, there are those higher ups in political control of BYU who will be more concerned where a BYU move to the Big 12 would leave Utah State much the way they were concerned back in the 1980s/1990s where BYU leaving the then WAC could leave Utah.

Last fall the Big 12 presidents made it clear that the "no Sunday play" policy of BYU couldaccommodatedated. Now if only Texas would realize that they are being the problem by staying at only 10..then BYU comes aboard.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 5:31 p.m.

I think Brad Rock is engaging in some bad journalism here. What does he know? so BYU has not "revealed" it's intentions, it's unimportant. And yes, maybe it's possible BYU does yet know what it's intentions are. With the daily changing of the football landscape out there, why would you commit now? tomorrow could be a whole different world. So I respect BYU for staying mum, and look to do the best it can for the school, sports, and the fans. But certainly, this issue should not be driven by the fans, they just come to watch games.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:46 p.m.

"Have to say it...... brace yourself for some major flip-flopping from some of the Cougar faithful."

Proud Ute, are you suggesting that BYU will be invited to a BCS conference? Ute fans don't usually admit that. Of course, if BYU joins a BCS conference, the contract will contain some BYU terms on it. That is the reason why BYU never got an official invitation from the other conferences; they didn't agree to BYU's terms, and BYU wasn't willing to go with their terms (like another team did).

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Don't really care right now. Bring it up again in October. And like any other athletic director at any other school, Tom Holmoe is not the decision maker in these types of policies and choices.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Give it a rest Mr. Rock. ---how do you know most BYU fans are just waiting to hear something about joining or not joining. -- speak for your self and the few who like you want to try to run the show from their narrow and limited prespective.I and many others I know would prefer thosse best qualified determine what is best for BYU and I have greater faith in them than journalists. If they decide to join a conference if invited -fime -- If they decide not to join --- fine -- I'm not a part time fan.

• Proud Ute ,
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:26 p.m.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:23 p.m.

Patriot-- You've fallen for the Ute fan misinformation. The contract with the Armed Forces Bowl was only for one year. Next year they are under contract with the Poinsettia and then Kraft Fight Hunger after that. Granted, they are mid-level bowls but will be getting better. Strength of schedule is impossible to guarantee since some teams with over-perform and others will tank but looking at the next few years, BYU will have very challenging schedules as an indy.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:21 p.m.

From this BYU fans perspective, I'm just fine with BYU sticking by their guns with respect to no-sunday-play and exposure via BYU-TV. If that means the remain independent until a suitor agrees to those two bedrocks, I'm just fine.

As for this blather about BYU fans have angst over this or that. I for one would have much, much, MUCH greater angst if BYU sold out to Sunday play (they won't and I'm not worried) or gave up trying to serve BYU fans across the country and around the world with exposure.

Your trying to characterize BYU fans as upset or anxious or ... you fail to understand the breadth of the BYU nation and our understanding that sports has its rightful place ... as Bronco said 5th. Faith, Family, Friends, Education, Football. Fine with me. Oh that my kids grow up as grounded and wise

• Utahman4ever FORT HUACHUCA, AZ
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:18 p.m.

Under the current system Conference affiliation has major advantages. However, while I think BYU could play and have success in the Big 12 I would still be very skittish. It is a distinct possibility that the Big 12 (minus 2) may lose more teams, as Oklahom and Oklahoma State have indicated they would like to get out from under the control of Texas( a team which they have both dominated recently). The college football landscape is still going to experience significant changes. While independence is a struggle (back half of the schedule) the ability to work through it is there if they are patient and wait for the landscape to settle. That said, I can see where fans would like to know one way or the other

• mtseatss Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:10 p.m.

The church should alter its present mission and focus primarily on BYU athletics by making every concession possible in order to join a BCS conference. This will serve to maximize its sports revenue stream, create opportunities for its Football student athletes to play on Sunday and ultimately maximize church exposure for greater conversion opportunities.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 4:07 p.m.

BYU wants to play remain independent , play Idaho , and bo-diddly-tech at home and win 8 games so they can play in the Armed Forces bowl. Isn't is already clear?? BYU wants to play small ball.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:43 p.m.

I think BYU has been pretty clear in what it wants but also knows there are some things making them unique. To jump to a conference BYU is after 3 things.
    1-No Sunday Play. This one in non-negotiable and everyone knows it. It's not a problem for football but it's complicated for the other sports.
    2-Have at least 3 football games broadcast on networks while retaining rights to remaining home games. The money part of this doesn't seem nearly as important as the viewership since BYU's never had a hard time with profit sharing in the past.
    3-BCS access. There's no reason to leave independence if there's no tie to the BCS-- might as well stay put.
    We'll see if a conference and their broadcast partners can bring these things together. The Big12 seems the best fit but their broadcast folks struggle with #1 for all sports. Right now #3 is the only thing missing. We'll see if BYU would give up #2 to get #3. As a fan, I'm fine to wait it out.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:41 p.m.

You mean BYU is not in a BCS Conference already?! From reading comments in the BYU Sport's section, you would think BYU leap-frogged college football altoghter and has now entered the NFL.

Yes folks, BYU is just that good.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:39 p.m.

I think independence will be fine. If BYU really wanted to be in the Big 12, they could have settled for less and joined. However, we can tell by the discussions that BYU won't join a conference until it is clear that they won't be put at a disadvantage by doing so.

I think fans need to lighten up with Holmoe. I understand the frustration at being left in the dark, but BYU's reason for keeping quiet is obvious enough: too many schools have been burned for speaking too soon. Let's just agree that Holmoe sees the big picture better than we can. He hears things we don't.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:26 p.m.

Blah, blah, blah! Write the article once the Cougs make a formal announcement yeah or nay. Rock, you're just rehasing yesterday's news. Getting tired of articles each and every time BYU comes up in any conference discussions.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:26 p.m.

I'll help you out Rock. Thought you would have figured this out by now but I am sure you are busy looking for new regarding Majerus.

BYU wants to be in a BCS conference but they are not willing to get shoved into the cellar. BYU would join the BIG 12 today if they gave them the right to televise any non-televised game on BYUtv. Of course Sunday play is a non-starter. Otherwise, Indepence is moving right along. BYU is already has a strong schedule in football and all the games are televised.

• Cris B. Sandy, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:25 p.m.

But then they couldnt be WAC champions!

• bjspack Orem, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:25 p.m.

I think Mr. Holmoe's comments show that he is interested in joining a good conference if the option becomes available to BYU, and the conference is willing to work with BYU on it's unique aspects (such as no Sunday play).

He didn't say we didn't join the Big East because we don't want a conference, he said that they didn't join because they didn't like what the Big East had to offer.

• Dog Fur Prather, CA
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:22 p.m.

First I love KBYUtv. Second I can wait to see, I'm not a spoiled child who has to have everything right now. Third I trust those in charge at BYU will make the right choice with the opportunities they have.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:20 p.m.

I think people are crazy if you think being independent permanately is the solution, the Big 12 is where BYU belongs, in all sports. I would rather play Kansas St, or Baylor in november than Idaho St or Weber St, or have two bye's. That's just me, I honestly think BYU will be in the Big 12 starting the 2013 season.

• leonard Oakley, ID
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:15 p.m.

I love to watch BYU football on tv. Joining a conference may eliminate that.