Jimmer Fredette gearing up for his return to Utah

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 27, 2012 9:36 a.m.

jarka-rus | 3:46 p.m. Jan. 26, 2012
    Layton, Utah
    Ernest t barse and Chrissy,

"Hows that Bogut guy doing anyways?"

Bogut just went down with a fractured ankle. Nice. Careful, your class is showing.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 7:51 a.m.

Sorry for the double post everyone. I didn't think my first comment got posted.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 7:30 a.m.

-Andre Miller has had a great career. He was the 8th pick in the 1999 draft after playing in the NCAA national championship.

-Coming into this year he has scored 14,258 points
    -He has dished out 7,154 assists
    -Career avgs. of 14 points, 7 assists per game
    -He has made just under $74,000,000 in his career
    -Career high of 52 points in 1 game
    -Career high of 22 assists in 1 game

Might want to look up some stats before saying Jimmer will "easily" pass Andre Miller. I think Andre Miller is one of the more under rated players in the league since he came into the league.

I am a BYU fan by the way, but Miller's numbers speak for themselves. Getting over 14,000 points and over 7,000 assists is a great NBA career. Magic Johnson scored just under 18,000 points in his career and had just over 10,000 assists. Not saying Andre Miller is even close to Magic Johnson but Miller has had a solid career. Jimmer would be a success if he came anywhere close to what Miller has done.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 6:49 a.m.

I am a BYU fan, however very casual, and your comment is exaclty why. BYU fans make statements sometimes that make no sense.

-Andre Miller has had a great career. Not a hall of famer, but he has always been a very good point guard in this league. If Jimmer has even half of the career Miller had, it would be a success. I hope Jimmer does have a good career.]

-Andrew Bogut is not going to be a hall of famer either, but he is in the top 5 centers in a league that lack talent at that position. He can score around the hoop, he is a good passer and shot blocker, and a pretty good rebounder too.

I even heard BYU fans calling Utah the "little brother" of the BYU/Utah rivalry. Again, what kind of comment is that. Utah has had a lot of success in football lately, much more than BYU. I hope BYU throttles Utah in football every time they play, but some of the things BYU fans say leave me scratching my head. Jimmer will be a good ROLE player in this league at best, never an all star.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Jan. 27, 2012 4:10 a.m.

my mistake Jimmer's 8.5 PPG wouldn't make him the WORST Jazz player in that category. But 8.5 PPG is nothing to write home about, and he gets plenty of minutes. I dont know why someone was claiming that he's getting less time because he's a rookie, he gets good time for the caliber of player he currently is.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Jan. 27, 2012 3:47 a.m.

Why dont I want Jimmer to go to the Jazz...
    1. I dislike BYU
    2. He isn't that good (oohh 8 points a game)
    3.Not only is he not that good, currently he would be tied for the lowest scorer on the Jazz with 8.5 PPG which is his supposed strength..
    4. Ticket prices would rise, the Sacramento game is more expensive because people want to see Jimmer, yes this might not be true over a season, but I'd rather people come to see the Jazz because we are in the best division in Basketball and are currently a 5 seed for the playoffs, not because of a mediocre shooter.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 5:28 p.m.

@ Mr Brave Sir Robin... you might be brave, but not much of a fact checker. Most of the 32 points by Jimmer's opponant were scored when he wasn't in the game. If you paid much attention to facts, you'd notice he usually plays less than have the time, which is typical of most rookies.

@2BCSWINS... your "something like" numbers are not representitive of any facts, just your bias. His average college game was nearly double the percentages you mention. Though you claim otherwise, it seems you really are a hater. Do you really think you are so much more informed than the board of national basketball experts who awarded Jimmer the national Player of the Year award. There is one big defference... they weren't biased with a dislike for anything-not-a-Ute. You're still sore he put nearly 50 points against you in your own building. Get over it!
    There is a genuine reason he was a top 10 lottery NBA pick. And now his NBA numbers are starting to become impressive with over 60% 3-point shooting over his last 3 games. How may other NBA players can match that over their last 3 games??

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Ernest t barse and Chrissy,

Hows that Bogut guy doing anyways? Last I heard he was going to be the next Shaq. Boy he had 2 whopping points in a loss to Denver. And Miller is no standout, he is a decent guard. Mark it down, Jimmer will surpass him easy.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 3:05 p.m.

@ not a hater

Your kidding right? I think hayward is giving the Jazz pretty much nothing right now to. At least the guy can however pass, take a guy off the dribble, and play some defense.

Jimmer would give the Jazz absolutley nothing, the guy is the most overrated shooter I have ever seen. I'm not just being a hater here look at the box score on all his games last year at the Y. Most games he was something like 7 of 27. Yes he had his games he hit fire, but more often then not he shot poorly just took a ton of shots. You can see it now in the NBA his poor shooting sticks out more because he don't get 30 shots to score his 20+ points.

• Not a hater LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 2:31 p.m.

What if we traded Gordon for Jimmer? Gordon seems like the nicest guy in the world, and I am not hating on him. See my name. I know that would be trading a three for a two, but it would get us a shooter that we so desperately need. Jimmer needs to be on a team that needs his shooting, not one where he needs to fight other players for the outside shot opportunities. Gordon could go get a fresh start. His confidence seems all but gone here. Just something to think about. I do worry the Kings won't want to trade Jimmer after all the Jimmer jerseys they have sold. Jimmer needs to end up a Jazz man someday.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 2:22 p.m.

Come on! The Wizards are much worse than the Kings.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Real Jazz fans will not cheer too much for Jimmer. They can give him a nice ovation and such but in the end, real Jazz fans want a Jazz victory. Jimmer is the opponent Saturday people.

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 2:06 p.m.

So if you are a Jazz fan why would you want Jimmer to put up 30? I am a Jazz fan and a BYU fan, but Jimmer is wearing an opposing jersey. He aint getting any love from me Saturday. Go Jazz!

I think Jimmer will probably go for 11 points or so. He is on a team of dysfunctional players. Tyreke Evans (black hole) DeMarcus Cousins (Black hole) John Salmons (black hole) Although Sacramento is bad, the Jazz have to be careful. Salmons has always hurt the Jazz and so has Tyreke Evans.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 1:41 p.m.

brave sir robynette,
    glad you put sir so we know you are a brave man, attacking a guy that has more class in his little finger than many of the spewers on this site.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Jan. 26, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Couldn't help but notice all of the empty seats in the photo that ran with the story. Maybe the seats will fill up when the lockout is over. I doubt it though, it seems as though basketball is a dying sport. It's not entertaining, it just isn't.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 1:10 p.m.

@ DN Conner Johnson,

Whats wrong here, are you out of things to do or to write about? Or are you trying to become the next sports writer? I don't know why I am bringing this up. Whatever Conner.

Jan. 26, 2012 12:56 p.m.

I will be at ESA to watch the Jimmer, hopefully he can put up like 30 points, and I doubt who ever he is guarding will put up those numbers, due to the fact that it will probably be Devin Harris

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Gosh I can hardly wait. Hes the best thing ever from this state ever.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:09 p.m.

what about miller? A Utah stand-out, and one of the better NBA guards the last 10 years. Utah would also love to have him. Imagine Miller feeding to Jimmer...

• selway Paul, Idaho
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Hater Robin and Chris B Jimmers 3 point percentage is up to 36% after shooting over 65% the last three games. And Robin you are nuts about what he is giving up are just a stereotype get a life.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Jimmer is doing fine for a rookie. Probably better than 80% of rookies.

ChrisB is a hater...and obviously a former NBA basketball player himself.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Maybe the Jimmie will have an awful night and win at the same time?

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Will be interesting to see if there are more Jimmer fans or more BYU fans. The BYU vs. St. Marys game is much more interesting. However, my guess is the Jimmer hype out does the BYU game.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:59 a.m.

welcome back to the world of posting. can you imagine how great he would be if he would have gone to the u? the u (no drum or feather) is having a heck of a year. the best thing they could have done was to join the pac 10 plus 2. the competition is incredible.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:53 a.m.

Yep, that Kings game was classic Jimmer: He puts up 19...meanwhile, the man he's guarding puts up 32.

Being able to bury 62-foot jumpers but do nothing else is good if you're the guy at halftime who gets to shoot for a $100 gas card. But if you're going to play guard in the NBA, it's not enough.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:22 a.m.

So Chis B. which game are u going to watch, Sac/Jazz or Utah/USC? No, I didn't asked if u were going to watch BYU/SMC. Enjoy, Jimmer Time!

• Conner Johnson
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Jimmer is still a rookie so you can't put too much on the kid. Besides, we all know he will get more applause then Mehmet Okur did when he visited Utah. I still say the Jazz win by 4 and Jimmer goes 4-for-12 from the field. Maybe 1-for-7 from downtown.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:51 a.m.

Good kid trying to do his best and help his team.

Has talent as do many on his team. So far little cohesiveness evident on the team.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Chris B... your comments are not perceptive at all. As far as team defense goes, the Kings gave up 90 points in the paint against Denver last game, which is somewhat typical of them. And guess what... Jimmer doesn't guard in the paint. The big boys on his team are supposed to. Don't lay that one on him. If you've been watching any King's games, you would've noticed that Jimmer puts more effort on defense than almost anyone else on his team, which is a sad statement to make.
    Secondly, with all the expectations on him this year, he did start out timidly and not playing his usual self. But in his last several games, he's been hitting more than 50% of his long-range 3 point shots. He's now headed in the right direction, and that is not to Europe as you insinuate. If a few of his ego-centered teammates would pass the ball when he's wide open, his numbers would be even better. Eventually, that will become obvious... even to you Jimmer critics who smile whenever he misses. When he eventually gets on a team with a team-first attitude, his real potential will finally be seen!

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Chris B: I think that is double your shooting percentage in junior high. Its tough to do anything well with his teammates being the ball hogs they are.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:59 a.m.

Utah could use the three's he could put up against most teams.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:52 a.m.

a blistering 34% field goal percentage, 20% from 3, this kid is lights out.

And his defense? Move over Lebron James

Did I hear a "Euro star"?

• goosehntr TOOELE, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:36 a.m.

We all hope that Jimmer does well. We want him to succeed. One thing we know, he will work hard to find his way... He is very basketball smart and to lose all the time must eat at his basketball soul. I watched him early in the season and he looked like he was afraid to make a mistake... that was weird for him. Aggressive confidence will come I guess. Someone, anyone be a leader! The Kings have to be the worst situation in the league. This will somehow help Jimmer and the other rookies to become better players in the long run. I hope they don't get used to losing. Losing is easy... you still get paid for it in the NBA...A LOT!

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Jimmer is becoming The Jimmer again.

• ifiwasabettingman Sandy, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:15 a.m.

I would bet that Jimmer drops 30 on the Jazz.